Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Mail continues with it attacks on Cox – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Bugger, I'm in London for a city break at the end of the month and planned to use Uber Lux a lot. #CostOfLivingCrisis

Uber is raising prices in London amid surging demand and a shortfall of drivers.

Fares will climb by 10pc in the capital and by up to 25pc for airport journeys, the taxi company said. Journeys outside London will not be affected.

Users have complained of long wait times and drivers cancelling journeys, with the minicab app struggling to get enough drivers on the road to meet demand.

Even before the price rise, fares had surged due to Uber’s surge pricing algorithm, which pushes up prices to match demand for rides with supply.

Some users have reported journeys regularly costing more than a black cab ride. The company said the change would make this less frequent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2021/11/11/uber-raises-prices-amid-surging-demand-rides/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636641883

Uber tried to charge me £20 to get from St Pancras to Camden the other day. The model is broken
    Are your legs broken as well? It's no more than 20 minutes walk from St Pancras to Camden as I remember.
    Heavy suitcases. Flying back from foreign climes
    Excuses, excuses!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

When will Britain get its first comprehensive educated PM? I reckon not until the 2030s.

John Major says hello.
    Ramsay Macdonald looong before him. So long before, they didnt' call them comprehensives.
    Did Scotland have a selective education system back then? I'm not sure he counts if it did, because the argument is that selection holds back those that didn't get in.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    Amazing over
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

tlg86 said:

When will Britain get its first comprehensive educated PM? I reckon not until the 2030s.

I think Truss, Patel or Burnham all qualify, and combined are about an 18% shot at next PM. Not sure many other realistic contenders at the moment before 2030.
    Javid?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    One for the railway buffs: the Exeter to Okehamptin railway is reopening fully to passengers on November 20th!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/nov/08/dartmoor-train-line-reopen-50-years-after-axed-walkers-cyclists-wild-campers

Gives Sunil another line to do... ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    What a first over. Australia really under the pump now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    Leon said:

So close

But no cigar.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

John Major was one for a start.
    Nah, he was a grammar school boy.
    rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

I thought he went to grammar school
    Apologies. I got confused with the "Boy from Brixton" Tory ads.
    Isn't Rutlish School a comprehensive?
    I don't know - I read that he passed his 11+ on his wiki and just assumed I got it wrong (again)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited November 2021

One for the railway buffs: the Exeter to Okehamptin railway is reopening fully to passengers on November 20th!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/nov/08/dartmoor-train-line-reopen-50-years-after-axed-walkers-cyclists-wild-campers

Did it on Sunday 4th August 2019, in fact :)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

So close

But no cigar.
    T20 is extremely entertaining at this elevated level
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Had a nice chat for, err, brunch I guess with one of my colleagues. She's Italian from Italy and she's booking her flight back to Italy for Xmas so the subject of how shit it is in Italy came up. More than anything else she's worried that this new "restraint" will become part of the national character and people are forgetting how to have fun and live freely. Everywhere she went last time she had to show her COVID pass, the bars are still socially distanced, the clubs are still closed or have turned into food venues, going to the cinema/theatre/opera means donning a mask for 3h at a time.

What's got her really upset is that the people have meekly surrendered to that lifestyle and they also can't seem to understand that the UK is basically completely out of this. Her family back home have been fed a diet of how awful everything in the UK is, people dying in the streets, society near collapse under the weight of COVID. When she tries to correct them they don't believe her and steadfastly stick to the idea that vaccine passes, social distancing and masks are the only way to beat COVID. She said it's almost like talking to anti-vaxxers about the virtues of the vaccine, they're so irrational about it that it becomes pointless.

Confucius: Keep the people scared and they will be easy to rule.
    Tell bollox anecdotal fake stories and the jingobells will keep on jingoing. More union jack pants please I need two pairs on today.
    Hello Malky; hope you are keeping well. Sunny if cool over here at the moment, nice autumn colours.
    @Carnyx
    Hello Carnyx, started out lovely here , raining now though. Hope you and family are well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Heathener said:

I know a lot of people who are really angry about this tory sleaze. And they're not your left-wing types.

I was chatting to a woman from Essex yesterday (I know, but still, I was), a working class Leaver who hated Corbyn and voted enthusiastically Con at GE19, and she told me there was 'no way' she was voting Con next time because Johnson is 'just a liar'.
  • Options
    Really bad start by Oz. Excellent Pakistani pressure
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

So close

But no cigar.
    T20 is extremely entertaining at this elevated level
    Nobody thinks it has 20 balls too many? 😂
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

I know a lot of people who are really angry about this tory sleaze. And they're not your left-wing types.

I was chatting to a woman from Essex yesterday (I know, but still, I was), a working class Leaver who hated Corbyn and voted enthusiastically Con at GE19, and she told me there was 'no way' she was voting Con next time because Johnson is 'just a liar'.
    It's all over.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Bugger, I'm in London for a city break at the end of the month and planned to use Uber Lux a lot. #CostOfLivingCrisis

Uber is raising prices in London amid surging demand and a shortfall of drivers.

Fares will climb by 10pc in the capital and by up to 25pc for airport journeys, the taxi company said. Journeys outside London will not be affected.

Users have complained of long wait times and drivers cancelling journeys, with the minicab app struggling to get enough drivers on the road to meet demand.

Even before the price rise, fares had surged due to Uber’s surge pricing algorithm, which pushes up prices to match demand for rides with supply.

Some users have reported journeys regularly costing more than a black cab ride. The company said the change would make this less frequent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2021/11/11/uber-raises-prices-amid-surging-demand-rides/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636641883

Uber tried to charge me £20 to get from St Pancras to Camden the other day. The model is broken
    The model isn't broken - the issue is they no longer have an endless supply of workers and it's likely that Amazon parcel delivery pays better.
    But that's part of the model. It assumed an infinite supply of fairly cheap labour
    Nope, Uber's model is based on no labour - the cars were supposed to be self driving by about now...
    That's not true.

Uber is just a radio cab service, with the radios replaced by a mobile app. They absolutely don't want a self driving world because then they have to supply the vehicles.
    Except that they will tell you they’re defininitely not a cab service.

Oh, and how does a cab service, or a not-a-cab-service, continue to lose $2bn a quarter?
  • Options

Did it on Sunday 4th August 2019, in fact :)
    Good news to see this back. I did it in 2016.

Now on to Tavistock and Bere Alston... maybe 👍
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Was a grammar when Major was there.

And May is very much a grammar school girl. We all know the logical conclusion from counting her as a being educated at a comp...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reigate_Grammar_School
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Note to southerners

Everything south of Kendal is the south.
    I'd put the boundary further north than Leicester West

Edit: Damn, she's 'Kendall' with two 'l's, isn't she :disappointed:
    This is Anglo centric. The middle of Britain is Haltwhistle. About where the north starts.

Did you allow for Rockall? I make it Penrith myself, so Farooq is probably quite right.
    I'm approx the same latitude as Rockall. Ullapool is further north.

Also, I was just looking at Great Britain. I didn't take Orkney, Shetland, or Scilly into account.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited November 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Theresa May and Gordon Brown went to comprehensives. John Major went to a grammar school. (ETA May went to a grammar which became a comp while she was there.)
  • Options
    42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

But a big blob of cases there
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

There is an anecdote from elsewhere that says that Reform are finding a lot voters in Old Bexley & Sidcup because of Boris.

I don't know how much faith I have in it (which is why I post it under your post) but it wouldn't surprise me if the Tories poll way worse than people might expect.
  • Options
    Pakistani bowler Imad Wasim was born in Swansea.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

The model isn't broken - the issue is they no longer have an endless supply of workers and it's likely that Amazon parcel delivery pays better.
    But that's part of the model. It assumed an infinite supply of fairly cheap labour
    Nope, Uber's model is based on no labour - the cars were supposed to be self driving by about now...
    That's not true.

Uber is just a radio cab service, with the radios replaced by a mobile app. They absolutely don't want a self driving world because then they have to supply the vehicles.

Oh, and how does a cab service, or a not-a-cab-service, continue to lose $2bn a quarter?
    TSLA, NFTs, Shiba-inu, Uber it's all a giant game of pass the inflating bomb.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Hope she’s typical.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What a first over. Australia really under the pump now.

It would be good to see Pakistan win this tournament. They have been very poorly treated by the cricket community over the last year and deserve some accolades.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Uber's model assumes an infinite supply of gullible silicon valley investors. All going fine so far.

I think they ran out of even those and ended up going to Saudi for money (and Saudi is the very definition of a gullible investor).
  • Options
    Bugger. After 17 days of week-on-week declines, a week-on-week rise in cases today.
    And I know cases aren't important. But still. It's nice when everything is going consistently in the right direction.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

I wouldn't put Tesla in with the rest of them.

Tesla are legitimately an extremely profitable company with a very bright future.
  • Options
    Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Tend to agree - I have CNBC on as a screensaver and all the charts just go up up up
  • Options
    Good work

Daily – booster or third dose
  • Options

Just think, if he’d taken up Rugby …….
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Tesla are legitimately an extremely profitable company with a very bright future.
    The market cap is roughly twice the entire remainder of the auto industry. It assumes VW, Toyota and so forth are never going to innovate a decent electric vehicle.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Which at some point, is going to go bang in a very big way.

The other day, new electric car/van startup Rivian floated at a valuation of $80bn, having delivered a handful of prototypes and with orders for 100,000 $60k vehicles. That makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

The market cap is roughly twice the entire remainder of the auto industry. It assumes VW, Toyota and so forth are never going to innovate a decent electric vehicle.
    Or that Tesla will innovate more than just cars.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not - But Tesla is definatly in the Meme Stock box.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.
    The dashboard says they are? -

-33,061(-12%)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

It's all over.
    Possible sea change. Not banking on it but I do hope so.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Ah yes sorry, it's always a bit of a lagging indicator though. Reported compared to last week is the best case metric in my view.
  • Options

Just think, if he’d taken up Rugby …….
    His debut for Pakistan made it to the BBC website in the Welsh Sport section
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/33589949
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    A good poll for Labour. To stop the Tories winning the next election with a clear majority, two things need to happen:

1. Enough voters need to get fed up with Boris.
    2. Enough voters need to be confident enough to vote for Starmer/Labour.

There's been clear evidence recently that 1. is beginning to happen. But there's very little evidence of 2. happening. It needs both. Today's poll may be the first hint of 2. happening, but Labour would have to be getting over 40% regularly to be confident in 2.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.
    7 day average is still down, but yes by comparison to last Thursday, not a good 'result' this week. Suspect its because all the half terms are over.

The boosters should by now be really helping the most at risk, and thats the number that needs to come down - the admissions.
  • Options

She had bigger battles to fight. And at least she didn't complete the closures. Her own school for example remains a Grammar to this day.

You are still not answering why you think your bought privileges should be denied to others less fortunate than yourself?

Because my 'bought privileges' didn't harm other children in the way grammar schools do.
    That is a myth. And your bought privileges are not the problem - it is the fact you would deny the same advantages to others less fortunate. It is shameful.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Two measures - one a 7-day average, one by comparison of date of reporting (this thurs vs last thurs).

• Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not - But Tesla is definatly in the Meme Stock box.
    It is but its also an extremely profitable business unlike almost all the other Meme Stocks which are just bad jokes with nothing valuable behind it.

There's more than just automobiles in Tesla. Their power storage facility side business has a potential to be storing then supplying a considerable proportion of the world's energy in the future so its worth comparing Tesla to energy businesses not just automobile ones.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

A good poll for Labour. To stop the Tories winning the next election with a clear majority, two things need to happen:

There's been clear evidence recently that 1. is beginning to happen. But there's very little evidence of 2. happening. It needs both. Today's poll may be the first hint of 2. happening, but Labour would have to be getting over 40% regularly to be confident in 2.

I reckon they need to be 5% or more clear for a decent period to be confident. Could happen though
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Hope she’s typical.
    Well not to stereotype but she is Essex and WWC and strong Leave and hated Corbyn. I'd say if Johnson loses a chunk of that demographic the Cons are in trouble.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Not on the sing day measure, they're up by about 20%. I think we're in the end state for a while, cases up and down around 30k per day in England.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Ah yes sorry, it's always a bit of a lagging indicator though. Reported compared to last week is the best case metric in my view.
    I think both are useful (in the way ALL data is useful). Averages smooths out data fluctuations, day comparisons might help give earlier warning of new trends.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Good work

Daily – booster or third dose

My 6 months were up yesterday. This morning I got my reminder and I am booked for my booster on Monday. All in all pretty slick operation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Theresa May and Gordon Brown went to comprehensives. John Major went to a grammar school. (ETA May went to a grammar which became a comp while she was there.)
    Brown went to a grammar effectively, he was in an academic stream throughout his time at Kirkcaldy high school he had to pass an exam to get into
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

I don't know - I read that he passed his 11+ on his wiki and just assumed I got it wrong (again)
    Rutlish school was a grammar school when Major went there
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Hope she’s typical.
    Well not to stereotype but she is Essex and WWC and strong Leave and hated Corbyn. I'd say if Johnson loses a chunk of that demographic the Cons are in trouble.
    Lots of polls coming up with LAB ahead over the next few months. Let's see where they are in GE 2023/2024.
  • Options

She had bigger battles to fight. And at least she didn't complete the closures. Her own school for example remains a Grammar to this day.

You are still not answering why you think your bought privileges should be denied to others less fortunate than yourself?

Because my 'bought privileges' didn't harm other children in the way grammar schools do.
    That is a myth. And your bought privileges are not the problem - it is the fact you would deny the same advantages to others less fortunate. It is shameful.
    I keep on posting facts and links, you keep on posting opinions.
  • Options
    This seems to be good news

First Dose

That is the first time this has been in six figures for many weeks, IIRC

I wonder why. Kids getting jabbed?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

It is but its also an extremely profitable business unlike almost all the other Meme Stocks which are just bad jokes with nothing valuable behind it.

There's more than just automobiles in Tesla. Their power storage facility side business has a potential to be storing then supplying a considerable proportion of the world's energy in the future so its worth comparing Tesla to energy businesses not just automobile ones.
    Yes, but there’s also a pretty good chance they end up as the MySpace of electric technology, the early success story overwhelmed by the rate of innovation in the sector.
  • Options
    eek said:

rkrkrk said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Uber's model assumes an infinite supply of gullible silicon valley investors. All going fine so far.

I think they ran out of even those and ended up going to Saudi for money (and Saudi is the very definition of a gullible investor).
    I don't really get Uber. At face value, it is an app for booking minicabs, which ought to be profitable or at least not lose very much. What are they doing that is expensive? Squillion-dollar salaries for founders?
  • Options
    Suddenly Aus are well back in the game.
  • Options

Labour 40+, LDs on 12 or so would be good.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

In what way does a Grammar school harm the children who don't attend it?

Results for secondary moderns (i.e. none Grammar schools) in Bucks are better than a lot of Comprehensives elsewhere.

Heck their results are better than all bar 2 of my local comprehensives - and that's after the top 20% of the children have been removed. I say top 20% because it's remarkable how many Grammar School pupils commute into Buckinghamshire from Harrow.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited November 2021

What's happening with the Meldon viaduct? Made a pilgrimage there last time I was in Devon proper (wrought iron). Is it being bypassed?

Edit: please ignore, got confused about geography. They're not getting that far yet, alas.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Doesn't matter in Essex, not a single Conservative seat in Essex is now in the top 100 Labour targets or top 50 LD target seats.

Essex is now a safe Tory county compared to the Blair years when it was full of Tory marginals New Labour won in 1997 (the same largely goes for East Kent)
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

I bow to your superior knowledge - Do you follow Musk on twitter?
  • Options
    Leon said:

First Dose

Care workers deciding that actually yes they do want a job would be my bet.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    darkage said:

Phil said:

darkage said:

Warning

I booked a Covid test for foreign travel with a major provider of Covid tests, which was very competitively priced. After doing so I read their terms and conditions and privacy policy and 'fair processing notice'. It transpired from this that they appear to be collecting DNA samples from the swabs for the purposes of 'research', for which they declare an intention to share with companies and government agencies. They also set out in the privacy policy that there is no unconditional opt out of this research programme. It appears that the intention is to use the data from Covid testing to create a private DNA database. Looking further in the legality of this, they appear to be relying on 'legitimate interests' under the GDPR to avoid having to explicitly seek their customers consent for doing so - it was not mentioned at any point on the website, nor in the standard terms and conditions: only in the privacy policy which of course people are very unlikely to ever read.

I have complained to them asking for comments on the above, and they immediately refunded my test fee. Some people may not be concerned about this type of activity, but if you are, then I suggest you are extremely careful about non NHS covid testing. Unless the company in question come up with a very convincing explanation, I will be pursuing this privately with a complaint to the ICO.

This is outrageous & I suggest you also forward your concerns to your MP & maybe to any interested journalists you can track down?

There is no way that this is an appropriate use of the material provided to this company & they cannot possibly have acquired the appropriate permissions. If anyone within the NHS or UK research community tried to do this, the ethics ctte would string them up.
    Yes indeed. I am waiting for their reply. They may be able to convince me that it is an innocent mistake, but otherwise I will be doing exactly that. The ICO is the first stop.
    I have done a little digging & according to the MRC, the law does permit the use of tissue samples taken as part of diagnostic procedures in certain circumstances. They’re not very clear about what those circumstances are however.

See https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/MRC-0208212-Human-tissue-and-biological-samples-for-use-in-research.pdf Page 7
  • Options

I keep on posting facts and links, you keep on posting opinions.
    Nope I posted facts as well. Go look at the Sutton Trust reports. I have posted links to them often enough on here in the past. Especially when your privately educated bigotry raises its head. I would have thought by now you would have learnt this is an argument you can't win because it is based on your own privileged bias.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Not on the sing day measure, they're up by about 20%. I think we're in the end state for a while, cases up and down around 30k per day in England.
    Yes, the more important metric is hospitalisations, and they are firmly trending down, still
  • Options

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

I don't really get Uber. At face value, it is an app for booking minicabs, which ought to be profitable or at least not lose very much. What are they doing that is expensive? Squillion-dollar salaries for founders?
    It's usually subsidies to get new drivers driving for them and opening up markets.

Locally there are people trying to get Uber into the town, pointing out that it won't increase the number of drivers willing to drive wasn't a problem they could understand.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

Results for secondary moderns (i.e. none Grammar schools) in Bucks are better than a lot of Comprehensives elsewhere.

Heck their results are better than all bar 2 of my local comprehensives - and that's after the top 20% of the children have been removed. I say top 20% because it's remarkable how many Grammar School pupils commute into Buckinghamshire from Harrow.
    Grammar schools damage social cohesion and make no difference to exam grades — new research

...The damage of grammar schools.

But this is not just a UK issue, as evidence shows that the disproportionate clustering of students within schools in terms of their ability, is a matter of concern worldwide.

All other things being equal, research shows that school systems across the world with higher levels of segregation of students by their parental income or immigrant status have been linked to lower overall attainment and weaker progress wherever this has been assessed.

It is also likely that children going to school in segregated areas will have less qualified teachers. This can lead to reduced opportunities to learn.

The school mix by socioeconomic status even seems to negatively influence how students are treated in school, as well as teachers’ expectations, and their relationships with pupils. This socioeconomic schooling divide also seems to have a negative impact on wider non-cognitive outcomes, such as emotional and behavioural problems, students’ sense of justice, civic knowledge and engagement.

All of which shows that dividing children by their ability levels from an early age, does not appear to lead to better results for either group. This is not to decry the schools that are currently grammars, or the work of their staff. It simply shows that the kind of social segregation experienced by children in certain areas in England exists for no clear gain.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/news/allnews/thoughtleadership/?itemno=34192
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Doesn't matter in Essex, not a single Conservative seat in Essex is now in the top 100 Labour targets or top 50 LD target seats.

Essex is now a safe Tory county compared to the Blair years when it was full of Tory marginals New Labour won in 1997 (the same largely goes for East Kent)
    Pride comes before a fall
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

First Dose

Care workers deciding that actually yes they do want a job would be my bet.
    Ah, yes. You are probably right. Good news anyway
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

First Dose

Data catch up. But still it shows there's still a reasonably decent number of first doses per week ~300k. It's second doses where we're struggling to see any traction, that's an easy win with a big publicity campaign around getting a second dose to be fully vaccinated/protected.
  • Options

eek said:

rkrkrk said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Subsidising billions of fares each year.
  • Options
    Another Labour poll lead, Tories have had their Black Wednesday.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    isam said:

I reckon they need to be 5% or more clear for a decent period to be confident. Could happen though
    I think you're agreeing with me. If Labour were over 40% regularly (i.e. for a decent period), they probably would be 5% or more clear.
  • Options

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    10m
    What’s the odds on
    @Peston
    coming out of Covid hibernation and tweeting about the rise today?..
    After three weeks of ignoring very substantial falls..

Let’s see.
  • Options
    eek said:

In the early days of Sec Mods, when children left before GCE they did tend towards sinks. After the leaving age was raised to 16, and exams were regularly taken things improved.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

eek said:

Grammar schools damage social cohesion and make no difference to exam grades — new research

But this is not just a UK issue, as evidence shows that the disproportionate clustering of students within schools in terms of their ability, is a matter of concern worldwide.

All other things being equal, research shows that school systems across the world with higher levels of segregation of students by their parental income or immigrant status have been linked to lower overall attainment and weaker progress wherever this has been assessed.

It is also likely that children going to school in segregated areas will have less qualified teachers. This can lead to reduced opportunities to learn.

The school mix by socioeconomic status even seems to negatively influence how students are treated in school, as well as teachers’ expectations, and their relationships with pupils. This socioeconomic schooling divide also seems to have a negative impact on wider non-cognitive outcomes, such as emotional and behavioural problems, students’ sense of justice, civic knowledge and engagement.

All of which shows that dividing children by their ability levels from an early age, does not appear to lead to better results for either group. This is not to decry the schools that are currently grammars, or the work of their staff. It simply shows that the kind of social segregation experienced by children in certain areas in England exists for no clear gain.

Perhaps he could do a second test - the impact of self selection via location that means the vast majority of Durham Johnston pupils have parents that work in Durham University - to the detriment of the other (truly) Comprehensive Schools in Durham.

Oh and I'm not joking - the former head of Maths at Durham Johnston was the person who mentioned the issue to me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

No, just facts.

Labour would need a huge swing of 8.8% to win its first seat in Essex, Colchester and the LDs would need an even bigger swing of 15% to win their first seat in Essex, Chelmsford
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Yes, the more important metric is hospitalisations, and they are firmly trending down, still
    Sigh - look at specimen date case data....
  • Options
    eek said:

Hah - we have a similar problem in Trafford. 2010-2012 was a boom year for children (locally - presumably nationally as well). So local secondary schools are really struggling to accommodate the number of children getting to secondary school age. In which context, it's rather galling that one third of children starting at Trafford grammar schools come from outside the borough (principally Manchester and Cheshire East).
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2021
    Boris Johnson, the Jeremy Corbyn of the Tory Party
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

eek said:

Social segregation not a private school problem?
  • Options

Another Labour poll lead, Tories have had their Black Wednesday.

IIRC the Tories led in just two polls in the eight years after Black Wednesday.

We haven't had the equivalent of Black Wednesday.
  • Options

Except Boris actually won a majority
  • Options
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    15m
    I presume the broadcasters will now start reporting that cases are falling?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Hope she’s typical.
    Lots of polls coming up with LAB ahead over the next few months. Let's see where they are in GE 2023/2024.
    Indeed. I'm still anxious. Maybe the Tories are going behind on purpose so they can benefit from some of the famous 'swingback'. But maybe the one thing we can say with confidence is it's looking competitive now. The artificial benefit to the government of Covid is falling away, as is the memory of Brexit Getting Done. It's like the game starts here.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Aussies win the PowerPlay, with only the one wicket down after a shaky start.

Cricinfo makes it 50/50 at this point.

Edit: make that two down. Pak 66% to win now.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Specimen date is a lead indicator for hospitalisation (albeit not the perfect correlation it used to be) which is again a lead indictor for deaths.

As positive cases rise, so will hospitalisations and deaths other the next week and 3 weeks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

No, just facts.

Labour would need a huge swing of 8.8% to win its first seat in Essex, Colchester and the LDs would need an even bigger swing of 15% to win their first seat in Essex, Chelmsford
    Today's facts are not tomorrow's

Boris has damaged trust in an idiotic manoeuvre and cannot even say he is sorry but disappears to Glasgow

Meanwhile Rishi gives an assured interview and agrees HMG got it wrong
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    It all looks mildly positive to me. But no cause for jubilation, yet

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=overview&areaName=United Kingdom
  • Options

eek said:

Nope, because the state isn't quite so influential with private schools as they are with grammar schools.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited November 2021

Appealing though it might be to regard them as the same, there is a key difference, for better and for worse - Boris won an election. So whatever else might now happen, he has that to fall back on, unlike Jeremy.

It's for better as it means he has been able to achieve many of the things he wanted. It's for worse for the same reason.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    eek said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

42.000 cases

195 deaths

868 in hozzie

All down, WoW

Cases aren't down WoW.

-33,061(-12%)
    Specimen date is a lead indicator for hospitalisation (albeit not the perfect correlation it used to be) which is again a lead indictor for deaths.

As positive cases rise, so will hospitalisations and deaths other the next week and 3 weeks.
    Cases aren't rising
  • Options
    Owen on 2nd jobs. Not keen -
    https://t.co/vKuZjqPDGu?amp=1
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

I know it isn't featuring much on here but the Poland-Belarus refugee crisis seems to be intensifying with Belarus now threatening to shut down the transit of natural gas to Europe after the EU threatens new sanctions

The reports are very distressing seeing all these young children up against Poland's razor wire and in winter with Christmas just 6 weeks away

I am very concerned for these children, but the wider possibility of conflict including with the EU, US and Russia

Furthermore, I do not see a solution other than letting the refugees into the EU

Poland will not be doing that for sure
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Not even Colchester? Which is a seat Labour would need to win for a majority or perhaps to merely hit 300 seats.

Thurrock is also a weird one, Labour has been doing OK in local elections but Tories swallowed the 2017 UKIP vote whole in 2019.
  • Options

eek said:

Nope, because the state isn't quite so influential with private schools as they are with grammar schools.
    Bring back the Assisted Places scheme then, and use that to expand the number of private schools.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,728
    Phil said:

darkage said:

Phil said:

darkage said:

Warning

I booked a Covid test for foreign travel with a major provider of Covid tests, which was very competitively priced. After doing so I read their terms and conditions and privacy policy and 'fair processing notice'. It transpired from this that they appear to be collecting DNA samples from the swabs for the purposes of 'research', for which they declare an intention to share with companies and government agencies. They also set out in the privacy policy that there is no unconditional opt out of this research programme. It appears that the intention is to use the data from Covid testing to create a private DNA database. Looking further in the legality of this, they appear to be relying on 'legitimate interests' under the GDPR to avoid having to explicitly seek their customers consent for doing so - it was not mentioned at any point on the website, nor in the standard terms and conditions: only in the privacy policy which of course people are very unlikely to ever read.

I have complained to them asking for comments on the above, and they immediately refunded my test fee. Some people may not be concerned about this type of activity, but if you are, then I suggest you are extremely careful about non NHS covid testing. Unless the company in question come up with a very convincing explanation, I will be pursuing this privately with a complaint to the ICO.

This is outrageous & I suggest you also forward your concerns to your MP & maybe to any interested journalists you can track down?

There is no way that this is an appropriate use of the material provided to this company & they cannot possibly have acquired the appropriate permissions. If anyone within the NHS or UK research community tried to do this, the ethics ctte would string them up.
    Yes indeed. I am waiting for their reply. They may be able to convince me that it is an innocent mistake, but otherwise I will be doing exactly that. The ICO is the first stop.
    I have done a little digging & according to the MRC, the law does permit the use of tissue samples taken as part of diagnostic procedures in certain circumstances. They’re not very clear about what those circumstances are however.

See https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/MRC-0208212-Human-tissue-and-biological-samples-for-use-in-research.pdf Page 7
    Which testing company is it? Randox?
This discussion has been closed.