Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Mail continues with it attacks on Cox – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    Pakistan have to whack it now

Ooh, they just did
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    eek said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Strong polling for Labour recently. Mind you who is going to admit to voting for the Tories at the moment with all the sleaze around ?

I will almost certainly be voting Conservative as an Anti-SNP vactical vote.
    That's the problem with our electoral system - it comes down to least worst party with a chance of winning the seat.
    I'm a party list man myself. I'd certainly need to have more of a think about it if it was that system.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Sir Keir owes JC

“ Corbyn stopped Starmer taking a second job doing high-paid consultancy work for law firm Mishcon de Reya in 2017, several key figures from the Corbyn leadership have confirmed to me.

Starmer argued he should be free to take up the role, but Corbyn decided "absolutely no.

Starmer has tried to capitalise on Tory sleaze despite ditching Labour's 2019 pledge to ban MPs' second jobs.

Yet sources say Starmer wanted to take a lucrative second job while in the shadow cabinet, was blocked by Corbyn, and then pretended otherwise.

The matter was raised at a meeting of the shadow cabinet, where "Jeremy very politely reminded Keir what Labour Party policy was," according to a senior member of Corbyn's shadow ministerial team.

Starmer's office had argued there was nothing to worry about in him taking the job, because the Mishcon training academy, which he would be advising, was "really cool."

When the issue blew up & the Tories attacked (Mishcon represented Gina Miller, Starmer's brief was Brexit), Starmer wanted to stick with Mishcon's words that "We are in discussions with Keir Starmer about reappointing him as an adviser" & say it was a limited role—ie ride it out.

However, the job was vetoed, whereupon Starmer switched to claim it was his decision, saying "I am grateful for Mischon de Reya for discussing a possible role advising the Mishcon Academy with me but given my other commitments, I have decided not to further the discussions."

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1458456622276255750?s=21
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

@RedfieldWilton
    First Labour Lead in Voting Intention in a Year.

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

I'd want to see Labour at least 5 points clear and see that sustained well beyond the current media shit-storm before I get too excited. It would be shocking if you weren't getting polls with Labour leads right now since the Tories seem to be doing everything in their power to alienate the electorate.
    Yes, anyone who places any faith in these pointless midterm polls is a fool. Yet no doubt we’ll be subject to lots of over analysis on PB.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    darkage said:

Warning

I booked a Covid test for foreign travel with a major provider of Covid tests, which was very competitively priced. After doing so I read their terms and conditions and privacy policy and 'fair processing notice'. It transpired from this that they appear to be collecting DNA samples from the swabs for the purposes of 'research', for which they declare an intention to share with companies and government agencies. They also set out in the privacy policy that there is no unconditional opt out of this research programme. It appears that the intention is to use the data from Covid testing to create a private DNA database. Looking further in the legality of this, they appear to be relying on 'legitimate interests' under the GDPR to avoid having to explicitly seek their customers consent for doing so - it was not mentioned at any point on the website, nor in the standard terms and conditions: only in the privacy policy which of course people are very unlikely to ever read.

I have complained to them asking for comments on the above, and they immediately refunded my test fee. Some people may not be concerned about this type of activity, but if you are, then I suggest you are extremely careful about non NHS covid testing. Unless the company in question come up with a very convincing explanation, I will be pursuing this privately with a complaint to the ICO.

This is outrageous & I suggest you also forward your concerns to your MP & maybe to any interested journalists you can track down?

There is no way that this is an appropriate use of the material provided to this company & they cannot possibly have acquired the appropriate permissions. If anyone within the NHS or UK research community tried to do this, the ethics ctte would string them up.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    The more this tory sleaze runs, the more it drags down the whole party.

This is what happened between 1992 and 1997.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Redfield & Wilton Strategies

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

Would see a Labour and SNP government most likely.

The Tories would still have most seats in a hung parliament though, EC on the new boundaries gives the Tories 288 seats and Labour 275 on the new Redfield poll
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=36&LAB=38&LIB=10&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    The damage Boris, JRM, Paterson and other Spartans have done in this idiotic act requires the red wall mps to take action and remove Boris and his cabinet as soon as possible, or the electorate will
    A ridiculous over-reaction to a handful of polls. Boris has a majority of 80

Patergate is a stupid, unnecessary piece of self-harm, but the Tories have 2 or 3 years to recover and it would be surreal if they never recorded poll deficits over a parliament
    That is as maybe, but my reaction is not to the polls but the impression this idiotic manoeuvre has left with ordinary decent people and it is very clearly Boris's 'Ratner' moment

He needs to be replaced
    It was an astonishingly tin-eared and inept mistake. Entirely unforced. But it far too early to say Boris is screwed, electorally. He's good at comebacks
  • Options

@RedfieldWilton

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

I'd want to see Labour at least 5 points clear and see that sustained well beyond the current media shit-storm before I get too excited. It would be shocking if you weren't getting polls with Labour leads right now since the Tories seem to be doing everything in their power to alienate the electorate.
    Yes, anyone who places any faith in these pointless midterm polls is a fool. Yet no doubt we’ll be subject to lots of over analysis on PB.
    Any individual poll? Absolutely. A trend showing the Tories sliding? Then we can do analysis. At the moment its merely interesting and slightly funny - as frankly are the polls that show a strengthening of a Tory lead when they're caught being naughty.
  • Options

@RedfieldWilton

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

And we'll be subject to lots of the same arrogant tory dismissals. Also exactly what happened between 1992 and 1997.

That's fine. The more it's dismissed as chaff the better it is for the Opposition parties.
  • Options
    Big over for Pakistan
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

The Tories would still have most seats in a hung parliament though, EC on the new boundaries gives the Tories 288 seats and Labour 275 on the new Redfield poll
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=36&LAB=38&LIB=10&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    The damage Boris, JRM, Paterson and other Spartans have done in this idiotic act requires the red wall mps to take action and remove Boris and his cabinet as soon as possible, or the electorate will

Patergate is a stupid, unnecessary piece of self-harm, but the Tories have 2 or 3 years to recover and it would be surreal if they never recorded poll deficits over a parliament
    That is as maybe, but my reaction is not to the polls but the impression this idiotic manoeuvre has left with ordinary decent people and it is very clearly Boris's 'Ratner' moment

He needs to be replaced
    It was an astonishingly tin-eared and inept mistake. Entirely unforced. But it far too early to say Boris is screwed, electorally. He's good at comebacks
    Indeed, Cameron and Major regularly trailed Miliband and Kinnock before the 2015 and 1992 general elections but still won narrow majorities in the end
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

If this was just Patergate and there was nothing else to fuel the story then yes. As it is no - we have so much crap to wade through and the press pack have transformed themselves into dung beetles for the task.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Phil said:

darkage said:

Warning

I booked a Covid test for foreign travel with a major provider of Covid tests, which was very competitively priced. After doing so I read their terms and conditions and privacy policy and 'fair processing notice'. It transpired from this that they appear to be collecting DNA samples from the swabs for the purposes of 'research', for which they declare an intention to share with companies and government agencies. They also set out in the privacy policy that there is no unconditional opt out of this research programme. It appears that the intention is to use the data from Covid testing to create a private DNA database. Looking further in the legality of this, they appear to be relying on 'legitimate interests' under the GDPR to avoid having to explicitly seek their customers consent for doing so - it was not mentioned at any point on the website, nor in the standard terms and conditions: only in the privacy policy which of course people are very unlikely to ever read.

I have complained to them asking for comments on the above, and they immediately refunded my test fee. Some people may not be concerned about this type of activity, but if you are, then I suggest you are extremely careful about non NHS covid testing. Unless the company in question come up with a very convincing explanation, I will be pursuing this privately with a complaint to the ICO.

This is outrageous & I suggest you also forward your concerns to your MP & maybe to any interested journalists you can track down?

There is no way that this is an appropriate use of the material provided to this company & they cannot possibly have acquired the appropriate permissions. If anyone within the NHS or UK research community tried to do this, the ethics ctte would string them up.
    Yes indeed. I am waiting for their reply. They may be able to convince me that it is an innocent mistake, but otherwise I will be doing exactly that. The ICO is the first stop.
  • Options
    I know a lot of people who are really angry about this tory sleaze. And they're not your left-wing types.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I know a lot of people who are really angry about this tory sleaze. And they're not your left-wing types.

Are these the same people that told you that we'd have an October lockdown?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Heathener said:

The more this tory sleaze runs, the more it drags down the whole party.

This is what happened between 1992 and 1997.

It isn't, Labour were at least 10-15% ahead in every poll in midterm before the 1997 election, not just 2% ahead in one poll and narrowly behind in most others
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

Twitter Blue

Hmm

"Twitter Blue is a completely opt-in experience, and these initial features were designed for a specific segment of engaged users. Ultimately our goal is to provide enough value through premium features that people feel that it is worth paying for."

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/twitter-blue#tbfeatures

They are going to make Free Twitter progressively less appealing, in slow increments, until the "most engaged users" think Fuck it, OK, I will pay

And fair enough. Just be honest about it

The Freemium model. Hook them with free (as the value derives from everyone being in the network), then add more useful features but charge for those.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited November 2021
    Bugger, I'm in London for a city break at the end of the month and planned to use Uber Lux a lot. #CostOfLivingCrisis

Uber is raising prices in London amid surging demand and a shortfall of drivers.

Fares will climb by 10pc in the capital and by up to 25pc for airport journeys, the taxi company said. Journeys outside London will not be affected.

Users have complained of long wait times and drivers cancelling journeys, with the minicab app struggling to get enough drivers on the road to meet demand.

Even before the price rise, fares had surged due to Uber’s surge pricing algorithm, which pushes up prices to match demand for rides with supply.

Some users have reported journeys regularly costing more than a black cab ride. The company said the change would make this less frequent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2021/11/11/uber-raises-prices-amid-surging-demand-rides/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636641883
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

If this was just Patergate and there was nothing else to fuel the story then yes. As it is no - we have so much crap to wade through and the press pack have transformed themselves into dung beetles for the task.
    It's definitely not good for the Tories. I am, however, unconvinced that the public is yearning for Labour and Starmer. They have no policies, he has no charisma, and they have to contend with the Scottish Problem, and new boundaries

I'd still have the Tories as favourites to win a narrow Maj. But it is so far out. and we are in a historic plague (still), so speculation is fairly pointless (not that this should stop us)
  • Options
    If Pakistan reach 180 they win?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo has lost the dressing room, while the club's owners profess their continued faith in him.

Rangers have an opening?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

It's definitely not good for the Tories. I am, however, unconvinced that the public is yearning for Labour and Starmer. They have no policies, he has no charisma, and they have to contend with the Scottish Problem, and new boundaries

I'd still have the Tories as favourites to win a narrow Maj. But it is so far out. and we are in a historic plague (still), so speculation is fairly pointless (not that this should stop us)
    At least it gives my theory that the polls will move towards the more charismatic leader more of a test than if the Tories were well clear at that stage anyway
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,443

Bugger, I'm in London for a city break at the end of the month and planned to use Uber Lux a lot. #CostOfLivingCrisis

Uber is raising prices in London amid surging demand and a shortfall of drivers.

Fares will climb by 10pc in the capital and by up to 25pc for airport journeys, the taxi company said. Journeys outside London will not be affected.

Users have complained of long wait times and drivers cancelling journeys, with the minicab app struggling to get enough drivers on the road to meet demand.

Even before the price rise, fares had surged due to Uber’s surge pricing algorithm, which pushes up prices to match demand for rides with supply.

Some users have reported journeys regularly costing more than a black cab ride. The company said the change would make this less frequent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2021/11/11/uber-raises-prices-amid-surging-demand-rides/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636641883

Gett
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

He needs to be replaced
    Indeed, Cameron and Major regularly trailed Miliband and Kinnock before the 2015 and 1992 general elections but still won narrow majorities in the end
    I hope you are as embarrassed and furious as I was today listening to Boris' statement at COP to the effect that the UK is not a corrupt banana republic.

You and your party should be ashamed of yourselves.

Then again I reserve my fury for the Labour Party putting that total fucker Jeremy Corbyn in charge which ensured Boris' 80 seat majority and, now, that my country has been globally humiliated.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

BoZo has lost the dressing room, while the club's owners profess their continued faith in him.

Rangers have an opening?
    After what he did to Northern Ireland?

No fecking chance, more chance of managing Celtic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984
    JBriskin3 said:

Disney shares tumbling a bit if anyone has them in their portfolio.

Yep Disney Plus subscription numbers didn't hit the target..
  • Options

I noted a few weeks ago how the price differential between Uber and black cabs is now such as to be non-existent. You're def better off in a black cab now with this latest news.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited November 2021
    TOPPING said:

I noted a few weeks ago how the price differential between Uber and black cabs is now such as to be non-existent. You're def better off in a black cab now with this latest news.
    As JohnO can confirm, Uber Lux is the dog's dangly bits, black cabs are the new peasant wagons.
  • Options

Uber tried to charge me £20 to get from St Pancras to Camden the other day. The model is broken
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited November 2021

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Interesting Twitter thread from Bad Al - who we all know still has the contacts

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1458557645758115840?s=21

In summary Boris and his team were briefed about masks, decided to ignore the hospital management and put them in the impossible situation of how do you manage a PM in clear breach of his own guidance putting staff and patients in danger?

We have also forgotten already that just a few days earlier he was “at it” at COP, sitting next to Attenborough.

He’s got form in not giving a shit about anyone but himself.
    As it was in the beginning, so shall it be in the end.

'I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception. one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.'
    Standing out as being arrogant, narcissistic and self-centred *at Eton* should have been a tell, for sure.
    Most etonians are none of those
    While outsiders sometimes get the wrong end of the stick, I'm not sure if Etonians are the best judge of how Etonians may come across.

Most won't be, but are they still a greater proportion than the average?
    As a non-Etonian who has known many Etonians they are generally no different from the cohorts at my old school, other private schools and groups of friends from state schools.

There are arrogant entitled ones, intellectual ones, social animals, sports jocks, outsiders and geeks.

My impression has always been that there is just a larger ethos driven into Etonians that they can go on and do great things - they are surrounded by ghosts of famous alumni which no doubt is a driver to do exceptional things or believe they can do something special in some way.

Different schools, especially Public Schools, have a different ethos which has a major influence on the direction of travel after school and this combines with the fact that at the age of selecting the school the child has a certain personality or intellectual bent that directs them to a school where their individual character fits the school ethos/culture better.

So Etonians are like everyone else in terms of a spread of people and personality types in my experience.
    I went to Denstone; a fairly little-known and low-influence private school. There were a wide range of characters there (especially as there were loads of local kids on cheap fees or bursaries), and I can say the same for every other school I've met multiple people from.

There was a joke: A Wykehamian, a Harrovian, and an Etonian are entertaining a lady. The Wykehamian pulls out the chair for the lady to sit, the Harrovian cleans the fabric for her, and the Etonian sits down, leaving the lady standing. Meanwhile, the Denstonian serves them all drinks.

I think it displays the status well. ;)
    The version I always heard was:

An Etonian, a Wykehamist and a Harrovian are in a room when a lady walks in. The Etonian demands a chair for the lady, the Wykehamist arranges a chair is brought to her and the Harrovian sits on it.

Notice how none of them actually gets the chair. In fact, the oik getting the chair isn't even mentioned. The English class system in action.
    In my career I have constantly found myself in meetings being one of the few non-privately educated attendees.

It’s kind of terrifying.

(My career was consulting, then advertising, then digital tech).

Ditto. I am often the only state schooled person in a meeting, or at a dinner

Erotic Flint Knapping is a surprisingly pukka world

Indeed I am still discovering quite how many of my friends are posh in this way. eg last week I learned that one of my oldest friends went to Fettes (Blair's old school, the Eton of Scotland). We were druggies together at UCL and I never thought to ask him about his schooling, ever. An odd omission, but heroin takes priority when you're 23
    Intrigued by this... How do you know? As alluded to in your last paragraph, it's not something I know about several people I count as friends; I know the school sector of very few of my colleagues.

I would guess that most of them were state educated, but I do not know.

Having said that, most of my acquaintance whom I know to have been privately educated have tended to make that known (the most reticent of those was someone who was at Eton, on a scholarship, with Prince Harry - I didn't know he was an Etonian until Harry came up in conversation one day and he made clear his unfavourable view from personal experience!)
    Really? The privately educated people I know tend to be very quiet about it. It’s not exactly a source of shame, but some minor embarrassment at least – ‘actually, I had quite a few advantages to get where I am’.
    I find where people are from, grew up, went to school fascinating. I’m probably nosier than most about this, certainly if they went to school in Greater Manchester and I can therefore unearth some link to someone else they might know (‘oh, you went to Cheadle Hulme High? Did you know x?’ etc.)
    Yep, well it's an observation among those that I know to have been privately educated. Almost by definition biased towards those who would make it known. I work far from where I grew up and know next to nothing of the local schools, so I don't tend to ask colleagues, even local ones, where they went to school. I might be surrounded by Old Etonians who don't care to make that known.

One of my closest university friends went to a private school. She was very coy about it. I knew her for quite some time before I learned that.
    Bigotry towards the privately educated is the last acceptable bigotry in this country so we learn to keep it quiet.

I have experienced more bigotry in this country on the grounds of my private education than I have ever for my skin colour or the religion of my parents.
    Perhaps because of your stunning lack of self awareness in attacking Grammar schools which help those who are bright but not rich enough to go to private school.

Personally I have nothing against Private schooling at all. Except when those who have benefitted from it like yourself think they have the right to deny some of those benefits to those whose parents are not wealthy enough to send their kids private.
    I look at facts.

https://theconversation.com/grammar-schools-damage-social-cohesion-and-make-no-difference-to-exam-grades-new-research-93957

There is a reason that our greatest ever PM, Lady Thatcher, closed so many grammar schools despite attending one herself.
    Nope she closed them because those were the instructions from that moron Heath, completing a policy put in place by Labour.

And the report by the Sutton Trust showed that Grammar schools slightly improved grades whilst having no negative impact on the non selective schools in the same area. You picks your report and makes your choice. But at least I am arguing from the position of being a Comprehensive lad rather than a privileged private school boy like you.
  • Options

Gett
    I'll check it out.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Rangers have an opening?
    After what he did to Northern Ireland?

No fecking chance, more chance of managing Celtic.
    I get the impression he's more a ruggers fan-

https://youtu.be/YO9F6BDffx4
  • Options
    Leon said:

Uber tried to charge me £20 to get from St Pancras to Camden the other day. The model is broken
    The model isn't broken - the issue is they no longer have an endless supply of workers and it's likely that Amazon parcel delivery pays better.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

I've said for a while that I expect the big winner to be apathy. There still isn't a reason for a lot of red wallers to return to Labour, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a drop in turnout and some switching to protest no-hopers like REFUK.

What does that mean for a general election? Fun Times. All kinds of interesting results are possible once you take the idea of UNS and bin it off.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dropped catch! Lumme
  • Options

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

In summary Boris and his team were briefed about masks, decided to ignore the hospital management and put them in the impossible situation of how do you manage a PM in clear breach of his own guidance putting staff and patients in danger?

We have also forgotten already that just a few days earlier he was “at it” at COP, sitting next to Attenborough.

'I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception. one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.'
    Standing out as being arrogant, narcissistic and self-centred *at Eton* should have been a tell, for sure.
    While outsiders sometimes get the wrong end of the stick, I'm not sure if Etonians are the best judge of how Etonians may come across.

As a non-Etonian who has known many Etonians they are generally no different from the cohorts at my old school, other private schools and groups of friends from state schools.

There are arrogant entitled ones, intellectual ones, social animals, sports jocks, outsiders and geeks.

My impression has always been that there is just a larger ethos driven into Etonians that they can go on and do great things - they are surrounded by ghosts of famous alumni which no doubt is a driver to do exceptional things or believe they can do something special in some way.

Different schools, especially Public Schools, have a different ethos which has a major influence on the direction of travel after school and this combines with the fact that at the age of selecting the school the child has a certain personality or intellectual bent that directs them to a school where their individual character fits the school ethos/culture better.

So Etonians are like everyone else in terms of a spread of people and personality types in my experience.
    I went to Denstone; a fairly little-known and low-influence private school. There were a wide range of characters there (especially as there were loads of local kids on cheap fees or bursaries), and I can say the same for every other school I've met multiple people from.

There was a joke: A Wykehamian, a Harrovian, and an Etonian are entertaining a lady. The Wykehamian pulls out the chair for the lady to sit, the Harrovian cleans the fabric for her, and the Etonian sits down, leaving the lady standing. Meanwhile, the Denstonian serves them all drinks.

An Etonian, a Wykehamist and a Harrovian are in a room when a lady walks in. The Etonian demands a chair for the lady, the Wykehamist arranges a chair is brought to her and the Harrovian sits on it.

Notice how none of them actually gets the chair. In fact, the oik getting the chair isn't even mentioned. The English class system in action.
    In my career I have constantly found myself in meetings being one of the few non-privately educated attendees.

It’s kind of terrifying.

Indeed I am still discovering quite how many of my friends are posh in this way. eg last week I learned that one of my oldest friends went to Fettes (Blair's old school, the Eton of Scotland). We were druggies together at UCL and I never thought to ask him about his schooling, ever. An odd omission, but heroin takes priority when you're 23
    Intrigued by this... How do you know? As alluded to in your last paragraph, it's not something I know about several people I count as friends; I know the school sector of very few of my colleagues.

Having said that, most of my acquaintance whom I know to have been privately educated have tended to make that known (the most reticent of those was someone who was at Eton, on a scholarship, with Prince Harry - I didn't know he was an Etonian until Harry came up in conversation one day and he made clear his unfavourable view from personal experience!)
    Really? The privately educated people I know tend to be very quiet about it. It’s not exactly a source of shame, but some minor embarrassment at least – ‘actually, I had quite a few advantages to get where I am’.
    I find where people are from, grew up, went to school fascinating. I’m probably nosier than most about this, certainly if they went to school in Greater Manchester and I can therefore unearth some link to someone else they might know (‘oh, you went to Cheadle Hulme High? Did you know x?’ etc.)
    Yep, well it's an observation among those that I know to have been privately educated. Almost by definition biased towards those who would make it known. I work far from where I grew up and know next to nothing of the local schools, so I don't tend to ask colleagues, even local ones, where they went to school. I might be surrounded by Old Etonians who don't care to make that known.

One of my closest university friends went to a private school. She was very coy about it. I knew her for quite some time before I learned that.
    Bigotry towards the privately educated is the last acceptable bigotry in this country so we learn to keep it quiet.

I have experienced more bigotry in this country on the grounds of my private education than I have ever for my skin colour or the religion of my parents.
    Perhaps because of your stunning lack of self awareness in attacking Grammar schools which help those who are bright but not rich enough to go to private school.

Personally I have nothing against Private schooling at all. Except when those who have benefitted from it like yourself think they have the right to deny some of those benefits to those whose parents are not wealthy enough to send their kids private.
    I look at facts.

https://theconversation.com/grammar-schools-damage-social-cohesion-and-make-no-difference-to-exam-grades-new-research-93957

There is a reason that our greatest ever PM, Lady Thatcher, closed so many grammar schools despite attending one herself.
    Nope she closed them because those were the instructions from that moron Heath, completing a policy put in place by Labour.

And the report by the Sutton Trust showed that Grammar schools slightly improved grades whilst having no negative impact on the non selective schools in the same area. You picks your report and makes your choice. But at least I am arguing from the position of being a Comprehensive lad rather than a privileged private school boy like you.
    But she had eleven and a half years as PM to completely undo her closures, she chose not to do so.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

The model isn't broken - the issue is they no longer have an endless supply of workers and it's likely that Amazon parcel delivery pays better.
    But that's part of the model. It assumed an infinite supply of fairly cheap labour
  • Options
    Great over from Oz
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

He needs to be replaced
    How many more seats did the Tories have in 2015 than the Coalition?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    Leon said:

Good. Now for the shysters to bankrupt themselves and we might have hit the apogee of the precariat.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

He needs to be replaced
    Whilst agreeing 150% with the sentiment - he's a pollutant - the fact is he was voted in by a landslide less than 2 years ago. So if he's going to be replaced the voters should probably get to decide who by. If not we're going to have the 3rd unelected Tory PM in the space of 6 years, having had a Labour one not so long before that.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

It’s kind of terrifying.

I look at facts.

But she had eleven and a half years as PM to completely undo her closures, she chose not to do so.
    Hard to change things when the county councils opposes the change and are needed for changes to be implemented.

Remember the councils without Grammar Schools were Labour led, those that were Tory led hadn't closed them in the first place.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,548
    Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Note to southerners

Everything south of Kendal is the south.
    I'd put the boundary further north than Leicester West

Edit: Damn, she's 'Kendall' with two 'l's, isn't she :disappointed:
    This is Anglo centric. The middle of Britain is Haltwhistle. About where the north starts.

• Options

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

It’s kind of terrifying.

I look at facts.

She had bigger battles to fight. And at least she didn't complete the closures. Her own school for example remains a Grammar to this day.

You are still not answering why you think your bought privileges should be denied to others less fortunate than yourself?
  • Options
    This is not good enough from Pakistan. They were heading for 180
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

But that's part of the model. It assumed an infinite supply of fairly cheap labour
    Nope, Uber's model is based on no labour - the cars were supposed to be self driving by about now...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

He needs to be replaced
    At the election it was 365 vs 306 in 2010. Not sure where we stand now.
  • Options
    Superb from Oz. Pressuring them
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Nope, Uber's model is based on no labour - the cars were supposed to be self driving by about now...
    Well, yes, ultimately, but you know what I mean. I doubt they factored in a global plague and a consequent surge in well paid delivery services, married to a general labour shortage
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    When will Britain get its first comprehensive educated PM? I reckon not until the 2030s.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cost me £2 to go from Ilford rail station to Upminster rail station each way just now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Superb from Oz. Pressuring them

Easing that pressure now!
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

When will Britain get its first comprehensive educated PM? I reckon not until the 2030s.

That'll be a dark day for the UK.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Redfield and Wilton.

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1458811770957615104

While the changes are small, the comparison with other polls is interesting - all of them are showing Tories down to 36% or so, but this is the first to show Labour out of the 33-35 range for a while. If that's confirmed, it suggests that Labour is starting to identify itself with the stop-Tory-sleaze sentiment, which hitherto has been floating around with Greens and LibDems.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

He needs to be replaced
    At the election it was 365 vs 306 in 2010. Not sure where we stand now.
    My point is that Cameron’s ‘win’ in 2015 was over the LD’s . He actually lost a couple of seats to Labour.
  • Options

She had bigger battles to fight. And at least she didn't complete the closures. Her own school for example remains a Grammar to this day.

You are still not answering why you think your bought privileges should be denied to others less fortunate than yourself?

Because my 'bought privileges' didn't harm other children in the way grammar schools do.
  • Options
    176. Good score. But just about do-able?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    tlg86 said:

It had its chance, it could have elected comprehensive educated Hague in 2001 or comprehensive educated Ed Miliband in 2015 but it voted for the public school educated Blair and Cameron instead.

Though arguably Theresa May was the first, she attended a grammar school after a private Catholic convent school which converted to become Wheatley comprehensive school before she left
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

John Major was one for a start.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

tlg86 said:

Which was your school, out of interest?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

But yet the share price is still... ∞ P/E
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited November 2021
    176, seems a decent total. Scoreboard pressure straight onto Oz needing almost 3 1.5 a ball.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

I thought he went to grammar school
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Nah, he was a grammar school boy.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

It’s kind of terrifying.

I look at facts.

Besides, I despise public schoolboys. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty. But, in your case, I'll make an exception :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Uber is just a radio cab service, with the radios replaced by a mobile app. They absolutely don't want a self driving world because then they have to supply the vehicles.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

But yet the share price is still... ∞ P/E
    2021 investing. The more ridiculous it looks, the bigger the share price.
  • Options
    eek said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

It’s kind of terrifying.

I look at facts.

Hard to change things when the county councils opposes the change and are needed for changes to be implemented.

Remember the councils without Grammar Schools were Labour led, those that were Tory led hadn't closed them in the first place.
    WAd that entirely the case? A lot of Conservative-run counties went comprehensive as well. In part this was driven by county councillors being fed up with dealing with complaints from parents whose children missed out.

In any case, it all depends how you frame the question. In 1944, we believed in rationing scarce things, and academic teachers were scarce.

Now, we don't believe in rationing and graduate teachers aren't scarce. What right does blankshire council have to tell you that your kids don't deserve an academic education?

(Which is not to say that a lot of comprehensives weren't badly-run and some still are. But the shockers are much rarer now, and a lifeboat for a minority is a lazy answer.)
  • Options

Because my 'bought privileges' didn't harm other children in the way grammar schools do.
    Do you approve of setting and streaming in comprehensives? To be honest, having been through that myself, it probably does much the same thing. The big difference is that in a comp, you can fill top set maths with 38 kids knowing they'll all get a decent grade.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

John Major says hello.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

@RedfieldWilton

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

True. Starmer shouldn't be measuring up for #10 curtains. But what it does show is Johnson's shtick doesn't always work and this in itself is a shot in the arm for those who are hoping to see him booted out at the next election.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Apologies. I got confused with the "Boy from Brixton" Tory ads.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

176, seems a decent total. Scoreboard pressure straight onto Oz needing almost 3 1.5 a ball.

Pakistan are ~7/4

Favourites, but not massively
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    edited November 2021
    I know it isn't featuring much on here but the Poland-Belarus refugee crisis seems to be intensifying with Belarus now threatening to shut down the transit of natural gas to Europe after the EU threatens new sanctions

The reports are very distressing seeing all these young children up against Poland's razor wire and in winter with Christmas just 6 weeks away

I am very concerned for these children, but the wider possibility of conflict including with the EU, US and Russia

Furthermore, I do not see a solution other than letting the refugees into the EU
  • Options

eek said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

It’s kind of terrifying.

I look at facts.

WAd that entirely the case? A lot of Conservative-run counties went comprehensive as well. In part this was driven by county councillors being fed up with dealing with complaints from parents whose children missed out.

In any case, it all depends how you frame the question. In 1944, we believed in rationing scarce things, and academic teachers were scarce.

Now, we don't believe in rationing and graduate teachers aren't scarce. What right does blankshire council have to tell you that your kids don't deserve an academic education?

(Which is not to say that a lot of comprehensives weren't badly-run and some still are. But the shockers are much rarer now, and a lifeboat for a minority is a lazy answer.)
    High schools all do GCSEs now in selective areas with grammars
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

Uber is just a radio cab service, with the radios replaced by a mobile app. They absolutely don't want a self driving world because then they have to supply the vehicles.
    It was a classic get rid of the competition by selling $1 for 80c and then when you are dominant put up prices.

We shall see the elasticity of supply at the higher prices.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

tlg86 said:

John Major says hello.
    Ramsay Macdonald looong before him. So long before, they didnt' call them comprehensives.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Rachel Reeves?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

So why then did Uber spend so much on self driving cars and why did a lot of their fundraising mention it as future plans especially when asked about labour costs?
  • Options
    isam said:

Why isn’t having private healthcare frowned upon the way private education is? Why should those with more money get better treatment?

First, is private education frowned upon? It seems to be more ubiquitous and indeed more expensive than ever. Second, private healthcare does not get you better treatment. It might get you faster treatment, and it will get you better hotel facilities, with a private room. softer pillows and a bigger choice of sandwiches. But for the actual healthcare bit, you are as well off and possibly better off with the dear old NHS.
  • Options

Redfield and Wilton.

Full Results (10 Nov):

Lab 38% (+2)
    Con 36% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 8 Nov

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1458811770957615104

While the changes are small, the comparison with other polls is interesting - all of them are showing Tories down to 36% or so, but this is the first to show Labour out of the 33-35 range for a while. If that's confirmed, it suggests that Labour is starting to identify itself with the stop-Tory-sleaze sentiment, which hitherto has been floating around with Greens and LibDems.
    This could still be level pegging (or even small Cons lead) plus random noise. But even that is progress for Labour. And since Starmer has been stuck in a "Starmer rating badly because Labour aren't ahead / Labour rating badly because Starmer rates badly" vortex, it might be interesting to see what happens if that feedback loop breaks.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think Truss, Patel or Burnham all qualify, and combined are about an 18% shot at next PM. Not sure many other realistic contenders at the moment before 2030.
  • Options

I know it isn't featuring much on here but the Poland-Belarus refugee crisis seems to be intensifying with Belarus now threatening to shut down the transit of natural gas to Europe after the EU threatens new sanctions

The reports are very distressing seeing all these young children up against Poland's razor wire and in winter with Christmas just 6 weeks away

I am very concerned for these children, but the wider possibility of conflict including with the EU, US and Russia

Furthermore, I do not see a solution other than letting the refugees into the EU

You may as well allow Syria to load up the planes and send their "refugees" directly into Berlin then rather than on "fact-finding" trips to Belarus.

The problem here is that you have 3 dictators trying to work out how far they can push things - and they are all working hand in hand.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Note to southerners

Everything south of Kendal is the south.
    I'd put the boundary further north than Leicester West

Edit: Damn, she's 'Kendall' with two 'l's, isn't she :disappointed:
    This is Anglo centric. The middle of Britain is Haltwhistle. About where the north starts.

Did you allow for Rockall? I make it Penrith myself, so Farooq is probably quite right.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Leon said:

Are your legs broken as well? It's no more than 20 minutes walk from St Pancras to Camden as I remember.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Do you approve of setting and streaming in comprehensives? To be honest, having been through that myself, it probably does much the same thing. The big difference is that in a comp, you can fill top set maths with 38 kids knowing they'll all get a decent grade.
    My friends who are teachers (maths and science in particular) are in favour setting and streaming, allows you to cater for the different levels.

But that's the thing I can never get my head around school classes of over 30, heck 20 seems way too large for me.
  • Options
    Finch out. Aussies 1-1
  • Options
    eek said:

You may as well allow Syria to load up the planes and send their "refugees" directly into Berlin then rather than on "fact-finding" trips to Belarus.

The problem here is that you have 3 dictators trying to work out how far they can push things - and they are all working hand in hand.
    Irresistible meet immovable

Something has to give. If the refugees start dying in numbers my guess is that the EU/Poland will buckle, even tho it sets a terrible example as you say
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

tlg86 said:

Apologies. I got confused with the "Boy from Brixton" Tory ads.
    Isn't Rutlish School a comprehensive?
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

That's not true.

So why then did Uber spend so much on self driving cars and why did a lot of their fundraising mention it as future plans especially when asked about labour costs?
    Probably because a fool and their money are easily parted, no idea how much of their own money they actually spent on self-driving cars but say you're getting it and you can do fundraising from that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Leon said:

Are your legs broken as well? It's no more than 20 minutes walk from St Pancras to Camden as I remember.
    Could have been with luggage I suppose.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

As JohnO can confirm, Uber Lux is the dog's dangly bits, black cabs are the new peasant wagons.
    The new electric black cabs give a far smoother ride than the old diesels.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heavy suitcases. Flying back from foreign climes
  • Options
    eek said:

Fair comment but it is a very serious crisis in the making
  • Options
    darkage said:

Warning

THis is a really good observation on your part.

I am also scandalised.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Uber's model assumes an infinite supply of gullible silicon valley investors. All going fine so far.

• Options
    OOOOH
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,961
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Which was your school, out of interest?
    Obviously it was Eton, Winchester, Harrow or Charterhouse as TSE informed us that he went to single sex school and he’s a public schoolboy. Otherwise he would be a private schoolboy.
  • Options
    So close
This discussion has been closed.