Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Protecting Patterson – the Tory gift to the Opposition – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Sky breaking

The commissioner for standards will not be resigning and will serve her full term to December 22

Guess if everyone else is in it for the ££££ why should we expect her to lose six weeks pay because of the lack of Tory shame?
  • Options

As I have said many times, winning an election is very important, but it is what you do when you have won it that counts. I think Mrs T said it somewhat more eloquently but I cant recall the quote.

Boris Johnson is continually forgiven by folk such as yourself because he "won". The reality is the real Tory party lost. They replaced centuries of belief in good governance and statesmanship with ego driven populism and clownish tomfoolery. Britain is a laughing stock. When people talk about patriotism, think of an image of Boris Johnson and ask yourself whether any world leader takes him seriously.

I have a feeling that you would have been saying something similar in 1981 about Thatcher and cringing with embarrassment about her handbagging the EEC over the rebate.
    Wrong, I supported her approach to the EEC. My position on membership of the EEC/ EU has always been consistent: it is/was flawed, but not so much so that it made sense for us to leave.

How consistent has your view been? Oh..hang on...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Labour's @AngelaRayner confirms party won't take part in new standards system: "Labour will not be taking any part in this sham process or any corrupt committee."

With SNP also abstaining, this is a problem for the Tories, who will now be sitting as judge and jury on own MPs.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1455937867021172740

Lots of journos saying this is a problem, but this is exactly the result they wanted. Judge and jury on themselves.

Then why didn't Lab et al vote against it?

Have missed the details if this has been addressed.
    only 28 Labour MPs did not vote against the motion.

98 Tory MPs also abstained

I suspect all 28 Labour MPs who abstained were paired 28 Tory MPs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

This from Guido of all people

250 to 232 an 18 majority

A lot of Tories did not want to be associated with this vote

And yet because of their cowardice they all are. Absolutely disgraceful from the government and the MPs. The opposition completely caught napping as well given the level of Tory abstentions.
    To be fair given his wife took suicide over this issue I think he has already suffered enough. I expect a few opposition MPs felt the same as clearly did most Tory MPs.

Suspending him for a month would really not have done much and just set back his constituency work anyway, even if I would probably not have voted for the Leadsom amendment myself.

If his electors are still annoyed with him then let them vote him out at the next general election
    What an utterly specious argument, even by your own dismal standards. By you logic, MPs needn't have a disciplinary process at all - leave it all to the election. Those in safe seats (like Patterson) would be practically immune under that process - very little chance his appalling, egregious breach of paid lobbying rules would trump the likely desire of his constituents for a Tory Government in 2023/24.

The "already suffered enough" line is similarly nonsensical. Patterson has shamelessly used the tragic death of his wife to deflect from his corrupt actions before that happened. He claims the pressure of the disciplinary process contributed to her death. Nobody here can know if that is true or not. But we do know WHY there was a disciplinary process... it's because Mr Patterson repeatedly, blatantly abused his position and privileges to feather his nest. Try a similar line at sentencing in the Crown Court and see how far it gets you.
    That is largely my view actually.

MPs employers are their constituents and their local party, not Parliament. Parliament is there to serve MPs and Lords not the other way round.

If their local party or their constituents dislike what they are doing they can deselect them or vote them out at election time.

As I said he is not facing any criminal charges so Crown Court sentencing is not relevant

It's entirely relevant. Fairness to the person who has been found guilty of misconduct is MORE important the more serious the repercussions, such as criminal penalties in a Crown Court trial, not LESS important.

So if a judge would give short shrift to an argument that you should be treated leniently because of the impact on others in your life of the trial (which you as the guilty party had done more than anyone to cause) then it's DOUBLY the case in the current situation.

That you feel there shouldn't be a disciplinary process at all speaks volumes of you personally, and there is no need to respond further.
  • Options

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

The entire school is insane

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1
    P3B have been preparing for Thursday, when P6 are encouraging everybody to wear a skirt to raise awareness of #LaRopaNoTieneGenero, or as our lovely posters say ‘clothing has no gender’ @MissWhiteCV @MissMcGroryCV.

How old are these kids? 6? Maybe 7?

https://twitter.com/MissMooreheadCV/status/1455205389281239041?s=20

I think this type of thing will seem very normal by this time next year.

Yes, Peak Woke will never happen, it will just continue and worsen

You have to wonder how mad it might get
    2020 went beyond what happened in 1968. The revolution will keep going until it reaches some sort of limit: either it collapses due to the absurdity of its own contradictions, or it gets attacked from outside. All you can really do is try and stay out of its way.
    The absent @SeanT, erstwhile citizen of this same manor, posits in the Spectator that Woke is actually a proper new religion, and will thus endure

Let us hope that, as always, he is entirely wrong and befuddled by The Drink

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-if-wokeness-really-is-the-new-christianity-

He writes the same old incoherent nonsense he used to post on here then, but for a sky-high fee from the Spectator. Hat's off to the boy.
    Has @SeanT posted anything in the Spectator about UFOs?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674
    Has anyone commented today on the additional implications of the recent move to suppress any publicity for MPs facing charges? I forget the details - but it could also be very convenient for some.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Currently top story on MailOnline: Tories protect scandal MP https://twitter.com/DavidTWilcock/status/1455941544033333249/photo/1
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,212
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is remaking British politics in his own image - corrupt, dishonest and utterly self-serving. A shameful day for our democracy.

Yep, we are getting exactly what was going to happen once the Tories decided to make a grifting liar their leader.

it is why I voted for Jeremy Hunt
    Would that be the same Jeremy Hunt that signed the amendment? 🤔
    Everything is relative. Regrettable if he did. Not sure how often he has voted against a three line whip ( I am sure someone with more time than me will tell me). Either way, it is people who supported Boris Johnson, like yourself, that have taken the Tory Party into this sewer.
    I respect Jeremy Hunt but had he been Tory leader I doubt he would have got a majority against Corbyn, more a rehash of May's 2017 result. Farage would still have stood BXP candidates in Tory seats so the Tories would have lost more seats to the LDs and I doubt he would have won as many seats from Labour in the Redwall as Boris did, being a Remainer unlike Leaver Boris
    As I have said many times, winning an election is very important, but it is what you do when you have won it that counts. I think Mrs T said it somewhat more eloquently but I cant recall the quote.

Boris Johnson is continually forgiven by folk such as yourself because he "won". The reality is the real Tory party lost. They replaced centuries of belief in good governance and statesmanship with ego driven populism and clownish tomfoolery. Britain is a laughing stock. When people talk about patriotism, think of an image of Boris Johnson and ask yourself whether any world leader takes him seriously.
    The Conservative members have been leaving in droves for some time now, not least because the paid part of the party has overuled the volunteers at every turn. Now, the Tory organisation is dominated by a clique of professional politicians and the volunteer members, who used to be the party, eiher now simply ignored or silenced or quite often they are actively derided. The members have no power or control.

Now Johnson is moving onto the Conservative voters: he gaslights them at every turn, with insane, economically illiterate policies, Russian donors and a side order of bullshit. He assumes that they will continue to support him.

For the time being he has been right.

He assumes that the electoral system will keep him in power for as long as he wants the job. So far, he is right. However, if the wind were to change then we would not necessarily be looking at the pendulum swinging and Labour returning in a couple of elections time. It is quite possible that the Conservative voter bloc swings strongly away, as they did in Chesham and Amersham. Right now, no one thinks that Labour or, still less the Liberal Democrats, can put up a fight that will knock the Tories out next time. However, Johnson´s confidence in the voters may be rather misplaced. A sustained swing like the "Cleggasm" only this time the voters follow it up, is not impossible, and if a big enough bloc of hitherto Tory voters defects, then the Tories could face implosion.

The historical precedent (the Liberal Party collapse in the 1920s) still suggests a time line of several elections, but if Johnson continues to play with fire, then the timeline becomes a lot more uncertain.

The Conservative Party, the most successful political party in history, that we knew until 2014 is dead. Tbe zombie Tories may not survive a decade.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Labour's @AngelaRayner confirms party won't take part in new standards system: "Labour will not be taking any part in this sham process or any corrupt committee."

With SNP also abstaining, this is a problem for the Tories, who will now be sitting as judge and jury on own MPs.

Lots of journos saying this is a problem, but this is exactly the result they wanted. Judge and jury on themselves.

In the main they did- certainly they didn't back the Leadsom plan.

What we don't know is the degree to which the abstentions were real (don't know/CBA) as opposed to pairing pseudo-abstentions. Or MPs who didn't expect a big close vote today.

But I'd a government wants to play hardball (and a three line whip on this is hardball) and starts with an 80 majority, there's not a lot an opposition can do.

Moral: don't lose elections by a big margin.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is remaking British politics in his own image - corrupt, dishonest and utterly self-serving. A shameful day for our democracy.

Yep, we are getting exactly what was going to happen once the Tories decided to make a grifting liar their leader.

Everything is relative. Regrettable if he did. Not sure how often he has voted against a three line whip ( I am sure someone with more time than me will tell me). Either way, it is people who supported Boris Johnson, like yourself, that have taken the Tory Party into this sewer.
    I respect Jeremy Hunt but had he been Tory leader I doubt he would have got a majority against Corbyn, more a rehash of May's 2017 result. Farage would still have stood BXP candidates in Tory seats so the Tories would have lost more seats to the LDs and I doubt he would have won as many seats from Labour in the Redwall as Boris did, being a Remainer unlike Leaver Boris

Yes we know full well Biden takes him seriously. Hence AUKUS etc

Just because you don't, doesn't mean people like Biden are as deluded with clown metaphors as you are.
    I am deluded? It is called diplomacy you silly boy. You think Biden admires him and this is the reason for AUKUS? Oh dear lol!
    Who says anything about admires? Not me.

Biden engages in realpolitik which means taking other leaders seriously.

Boris does the exact same thing.

Admiration isn't something that world leaders should be engaging in.
    He is a joke, in the same way Trump is perceived to be a joke. Funny how you run to his defence. Such a similarity between you and the Trumpians the other side of the pond.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1
    P3B have been preparing for Thursday, when P6 are encouraging everybody to wear a skirt to raise awareness of #LaRopaNoTieneGenero, or as our lovely posters say ‘clothing has no gender’ @MissWhiteCV @MissMcGroryCV.

2020 went beyond what happened in 1968. The revolution will keep going until it reaches some sort of limit: either it collapses due to the absurdity of its own contradictions, or it gets attacked from outside. All you can really do is try and stay out of its way.
    The absent @SeanT, erstwhile citizen of this same manor, posits in the Spectator that Woke is actually a proper new religion, and will thus endure

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-if-wokeness-really-is-the-new-christianity-

For woke to be a new religion (rather than a variant of christianity, as suggested by some) it needs to travel. And from what I can see, it isn't doing that - quite the reverse.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

only 28 Labour MPs did not vote against the motion.

98 Tory MPs also abstained

I suspect all 28 Labour MPs who abstained were paired 28 Tory MPs.
    Didn't @NP say that pairing wasn't really a thing any more? Although it makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,141
    eek said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

He writes the same old incoherent nonsense he used to post on here then, but for a sky-high fee from the Spectator. Hat's off to the boy.
    Has @SeanT posted anything in the Spectator about UFOs?
    Dunno, I just read and made my judgement on the article @Leon posted.
  • Options

I have a feeling that you would have been saying something similar in 1981 about Thatcher and cringing with embarrassment about her handbagging the EEC over the rebate.
    Wrong, I supported her approach to the EEC. My position on membership of the EEC/ EU has always been consistent: it is/was flawed, but not so much so that it made sense for us to leave.

How consistent has your view been? Oh..hang on...
    So you don't adjust your thinking when new data challenges it. When the facts change, I change my mind.

Jeremy Corbyn also hasn't changed any of his thoughts in the past four decades either. You two belong together.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

What we don't know is the degree to which the abstentions were real (don't know/CBA) as opposed to pairing pseudo-abstentions. Or MPs who didn't expect a big close vote today.

But I'd a government wants to play hardball (and a three line whip on this is hardball) and starts with an 80 majority, there's not a lot an opposition can do.

Yes true but turn up to vote ffs. 80 is a big enough majority, meanwhile Tory grandees were on the airwaves saying they'd vote against.

If they weren't paired (see my comments earlier about @NickPalmer's recent comment on it) then they really have themselves (and the other non-Cons) to blame.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

And yet because of their cowardice they all are. Absolutely disgraceful from the government and the MPs. The opposition completely caught napping as well given the level of Tory abstentions.
    To be fair given his wife took suicide over this issue I think he has already suffered enough. I expect a few opposition MPs felt the same as clearly did most Tory MPs.

Suspending him for a month would really not have done much and just set back his constituency work anyway, even if I would probably not have voted for the Leadsom amendment myself.

If his electors are still annoyed with him then let them vote him out at the next general election
    What an utterly specious argument, even by your own dismal standards. By you logic, MPs needn't have a disciplinary process at all - leave it all to the election. Those in safe seats (like Patterson) would be practically immune under that process - very little chance his appalling, egregious breach of paid lobbying rules would trump the likely desire of his constituents for a Tory Government in 2023/24.

The "already suffered enough" line is similarly nonsensical. Patterson has shamelessly used the tragic death of his wife to deflect from his corrupt actions before that happened. He claims the pressure of the disciplinary process contributed to her death. Nobody here can know if that is true or not. But we do know WHY there was a disciplinary process... it's because Mr Patterson repeatedly, blatantly abused his position and privileges to feather his nest. Try a similar line at sentencing in the Crown Court and see how far it gets you.

MPs employers are their constituents and their local party, not Parliament. Parliament is there to serve MPs and Lords not the other way round.

If their local party or their constituents dislike what they are doing they can deselect them or vote them out at election time.

As I said he is not facing any criminal charges so Crown Court sentencing is not relevant

It's entirely relevant. Fairness to the person who has been found guilty of misconduct is MORE important the more serious the repercussions, such as criminal penalties in a Crown Court trial, not LESS important.

So if a judge would give short shrift to an argument that you should be treated leniently because of the impact on others in your life of the trial (which you as the guilty party had done more than anyone to cause) then it's DOUBLY the case in the current situation.

That you feel there shouldn't be a disciplinary process at all speaks volumes of you personally, and there is no need to respond further.
    Given there was no criminal activity in this case clearly the penalties of a Crown Court trial are not relevant. Had Patterson committed a criminal offence and been found guilty he would have faced criminal sanction, even jail, regardless of his wife's suicide. However he faced no criminal sanction so his fellow MPs could decide whether they wanted to impose any sanctions on him or not over his lobbying work given the context.

I stand by my view MPs should be judged solely at election time or by their local parties as they always used to be. They are elected for 5 year terms and unless they get a substantial prison sentence should be allowed to complete that term and judged on how they performed at it at the next election

• Options

HYUFD said:

Just because you don't, doesn't mean people like Biden are as deluded with clown metaphors as you are.
    I am deluded? It is called diplomacy you silly boy. You think Biden admires him and this is the reason for AUKUS? Oh dear lol!

He is a joke, in the same way Trump is perceived to be a joke. Funny how you run to his defence. Such a similarity between you and the Trumpians the other side of the pond.
    The only PM in recent years who was a joke was his predecessor, whom other leaders openly mocked.

Cake, no cherries, Prime Minister.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    Stereodog said:

When the bullying and harassment complaints process was established everyone I know who worked in Parliament was sceptical that any really serious sanction would be imposed on an MP by the House. I know that is a different process from a standards breach but today just enforces that fear. When push comes to shove MPs will always find a way to protect a colleague if he's well liked enough. The ramifications of this vote go well beyond any immediate impact on the Standards process.

That will hardly come as any surprise to the public. Almost by definition, political tribalists are less cynical about politicians than most people.
  • Options
    Another Tory MP admits their inbox is in "meltdown" over the move to avoid suspending Paterson today.

They said: "I know the usual suspects - the messages I'm getting aren't from them."

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1455915837605416960
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,063
    darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

For woke to be a new religion (rather than a variant of christianity, as suggested by some) it needs to travel. And from what I can see, it isn't doing that - quite the reverse.
    It is certainly spreading in the English speaking world, and now - bizarrely - into India

https://www.newindianexpress.com/opinions/2021/oct/26/wokeness-and-the-battered-brands-of-india-2375669.html
  • Options
    I note that as mentioned on R4 Woman's Hour one of the posters attacking Prof Stock (who resigned) said 'We don't pay £9000 for transphobia'.

As I think I posted the other day, here is an unintended consequence of tuition fees. The student is the customer and their demands are paramount.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The only PM in recent years who was a joke was his predecessor, whom other leaders openly mocked.

She wasn't great, but she was not dishonest and she was not a joke. Perhaps you think that because she is female? Is belief in misogyny a requirement for fanbois of The Clown?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

I heard he'd been dropped by the Speccy in favour of new columnist Vladimir Putin. Putin says it better apparently. Bit more bite, a loftier intellect and a rather wider historical lens. Plus he's not charging.
  • Options

Sky breaking

The commissioner for standards will not be resigning and will serve her full term to December 22

Guess if everyone else is in it for the ££££ why should we expect her to lose six weeks pay because of the lack of Tory shame?
    December 2022 though
  • Options
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservative members have been leaving in droves for some time now, not least because the paid part of the party has overuled the volunteers at every turn. Now, the Tory organisation is dominated by a clique of professional politicians and the volunteer members, who used to be the party, eiher now simply ignored or silenced or quite often they are actively derided. The members have no power or control.

Now Johnson is moving onto the Conservative voters, he gaslights them at every turn, with insane, economically illiterate policies, Russian donors and a side order of bullshit. He assumes that they will continue to support him.

He assumes that the electoral system will keep him in power for as long as he wants the job. So far he is right. However, if the wind were to change then we would not necessarily be looking at the pendulum swinging and Labour returning in a couple of elections time. It is quite possible that the Conservative voter bloc swings strongly away, as they did in Chesham and Amersham. Right now, no one thinks that Labour or, still less the Liberal Democrats, can put up a fight that will knock the Tories out next time. However, Johnson´s confidence in the voters may be rather misplaced. A swing like the "Cleggasm" is not impossible, and if a big enough bloc of hitherto Tory voters defects, then the Tories could face implosion.

The historical precedent (the Liberal Party collapse in the 1920s) still suggests a time line of several elections, but if Johnson continues to play with fire, then the timeline becomes a lot more uncertain.

The Conservative Party, the most successful political party in hisotry, that we knew until 2014 is dead. Tbe zombie Tories may not survive a decade.
    The tory collapse happened in 2019, and Boris Johnson then reinvented the party in the matter of a few months.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262
    Tories are dodgy - official!
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597
    I notice that the "Telegraph" has been very sychophantic towards Patterson in its coverage, apart from a critical opinion piece in today's issue from Chris Bryant, whereas the "Mail" has been scathing towards Patterson and Johnson.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

I heard he'd been dropped by the Speccy in favour of new columnist Vladimir Putin. Putin says it better apparently. Bit more bite, a loftier intellect and a rather wider historical lens. Plus he's not charging.
    But how much does Putin pay his mysterious ghostwriter? ;)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So continues the Tory descent into autocracy. How did the opposition not have the numbers either? The government could have been defeated but where was Labour marshalling their own MPs and disaffected Tories into defeating the government?!

Pairing.
    Even with pairing, surely the votes existed to defeat the government.
    Not really - Tories have a majority of 80.

And won by 18 votes.
    273 opposition party MPs. Plus 6 independents, not sure how many of them would be classed with the opposition and how many were elected Conservatives who might expect to vote with the government.

Even with pairing, and less 1 Deputy Speaker and 2 Tellers it should have been possible to martial 250 votes which would have defeated the amendment.

Some opposition MPs either couldn't be bothered to turn up, or have abstained as a matter of conscience as they wanted the vote to be carried.
    Oh, so it's all SKS's fault? Now that really does take the Tunnock's teacake.
    I didn't see it was his fault, did I?

If some Opposition MPs wanted this to be carried, then that's quite reasonable for them to abstain on this.

It will be interesting to see the list of Opposition MPs who didn't vote.
    Looks like Ed Miliband, Margaret Beckett and Sir Keir Starmer are all secret Boris admirers:

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124#notrecorded
    Presumably SKS is still off with the pox.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tories are dodgy - official!

Notable that Labour Party attack go for full 'Tory corruption' claim. Quite a gear change. https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1455945084994732034/photo/1
  • Options
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Now Johnson is moving onto the Conservative voters: he gaslights them at every turn, with insane, economically illiterate policies, Russian donors and a side order of bullshit. He assumes that they will continue to support him.

He assumes that the electoral system will keep him in power for as long as he wants the job. So far, he is right. However, if the wind were to change then we would not necessarily be looking at the pendulum swinging and Labour returning in a couple of elections time. It is quite possible that the Conservative voter bloc swings strongly away, as they did in Chesham and Amersham. Right now, no one thinks that Labour or, still less the Liberal Democrats, can put up a fight that will knock the Tories out next time. However, Johnson´s confidence in the voters may be rather misplaced. A sustained swing like the "Cleggasm" only this time the voters follow it up, is not impossible, and if a big enough bloc of hitherto Tory voters defects, then the Tories could face implosion.

The Conservative Party, the most successful political party in history, that we knew until 2014 is dead. Tbe zombie Tories may not survive a decade.
    Then it is upto labour or the lib dems to make a case for my vote and so far there is nothing
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though
    Yep - but exactly how many awkward (or in fact any) complaints are going to appear after today.

That's 13 months during which she can put her feet up.
  • Options
    *the numbers*

111 Tory MPs didn’t vote for Leadsom amendment (13 voted against, 98 abstained)

Tory whips understood to be saying 60MPs had permission not to vote (paired or slipped)

Which still means 50ish Tory MPs defied whips by either voting against or not backing amendment

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1455945268495593480
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes true but turn up to vote ffs. 80 is a big enough majority, meanwhile Tory grandees were on the airwaves saying they'd vote against.

If they weren't paired (see my comments earlier about @NickPalmer's recent comment on it) then they really have themselves (and the other non-Cons) to blame.
    This tells you all you need to know.
    Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

Tory whips understood to be saying 60MPs had permission not to vote (paired or slipped)

Which still means 50ish Tory MPs defied whips by either voting against or not backing amendment

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Siri, show me a political campaign strategy worse than Hillary 2016

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though
    Sorry misinterpreted as 22nd December. I think my cynical point still stands. If the government and the PM are determined to allow corruption at the heart of public life, we cannot really expect mid level officials to make a pointless and losing stand against them. If they do then great, but if they don't I have sympathy with her position to carry on.

The blame lies with those who enabled a known and shameless liar (well beyond the normal "lies" of politics) to become PM.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Currently top story on MailOnline: Tories protect scandal MP https://twitter.com/DavidTWilcock/status/1455941544033333249/photo/1

And the comments are brutal for the government. The calculation is that the people making these brutal comments will still vote Tory because Brexit / Labour. As I've said for a while I think turnout at the next election will be the real victim of all this.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, a missed opportunity.

I'm genuinely cross about this. I care a lot about standards and processes, and that extends to changing process through an appropriate process. That means legitimate concerns are carefully considered, not a last minute fudge whipped up by the whips.

Also, when is a 'review's not a review? As the details of the vote are predicated on already concluding not both the problem but the solution.

I'm not inclined to emotional outbursts, but despite heroic efforts at justification to elide a personal complaint with principle, this looks like a f*cking disgrace.
    Another bellwether tolls. I think this is where the hubris-led fall starts its journey. Pretty soon - but maybe not soon enough for the GE - it will be Broken Sleazy Tories On The Slide.
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though
    Sorry misinterpreted as 22nd December. I think my cynical point still stands. If the government and the PM are determined to allow corruption at the heart of public life, we cannot really expect mid level officials to make a pointless and losing stand against them. If they do then great, but if they don't I have sympathy with her position to carry on.

The blame lies with those who enabled a known and shameless liar (well beyond the normal "lies" of politics) to become PM.
    The electorate then
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

As I noted earlier. That is a sizeable rebellion.
    Folk get a taste for it.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

I mean it is the Houses of Parliament. Where votes are cast and policies therefore enacted or not.

I saw a post earlier saying that if all the opposition parties had voted against then it may have been defeated. I would boot pairing into the deep blue yonder, frankly. Plus any Lab MP who wasn't paired needs to be binned.

Once again, even Jeremy Corbyn understood what an Opposition was for.
  • Options
    A flurry of statements from @YorkshireCCC sponsors coming in after the decision by Emerald to cease their partnership with the club.

David Lloyd Clubs latest to rule out any further dealings with the club in support of @AzeemRafiq30
    https://twitter.com/SarahDawkins23/status/1455946872955318272/photo/1
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm genuinely cross about this. I care a lot about standards and processes, and that extends to changing process through an appropriate process. That means legitimate concerns are carefully considered, not a last minute fudge whipped up by the whips.

Also, when is a 'review's not a review? As the details of the vote are predicated on already concluding not both the problem but the solution.

I'm not inclined to emotional outbursts, but despite heroic efforts at justification to elide a personal complaint with principle, this looks like a f*cking disgrace.
    Another bellwether tolls. I think this is where the hubris-led fall starts its journey. Pretty soon - but maybe not soon enough for the GE - it will be Broken Sleazy Tories On The Slide.
    You're engaging in wishful thinking, but there's a chance you're right.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Dear God, the lack of comprehension is hilarious. "But but its Trump - people *hate* him"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

Just needed a few more to show actual courage and it'd have been defeated and those intentional 'defiers' could have had at least some credit for doing that much. As it is it just makes them look cowardly for not standing up to be counted.
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    Not really, they were given a choice of him or Corbyn. Tory MPs putting him through to the membership ballot when in the previous leadership election over 100 joined a anyone but Boris whatsapp group. They knew he was rotten.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054
    Alistair said:

Among other things it shows how much the spectre of Trump still dominates US politics. McAuliffe's dancing was so obviously an attempt to recreate the energy of Trump's YMCA rallies.

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1455750868096147456
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,194
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Not making any comment on the optimistic picture that you paint, but why do you pick the year 2014 as the expiration date for the Conservative Party?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

She wasn't great, but she was not dishonest and she was not a joke. Perhaps you think that because she is female? Is belief in misogyny a requirement for fanbois of The Clown?
    She was nasty, xenophobic and a joke. She was openly mocked by all and sundry even Donald Tusk thought she was a punchline.

Her gender has nothing to do with why she was a crap PM. Thatcher was a great PM and my preferred successor to Boris other than my own tip Sunak would be Truss.

92% of the country voted against May in her final election. That's not misogyny it's her record as our worst and least suitable PM in centuries.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

It is certainly spreading in the English speaking world, and now - bizarrely - into India

https://www.newindianexpress.com/opinions/2021/oct/26/wokeness-and-the-battered-brands-of-india-2375669.html
    As far as I can see it is an anglo saxon thing, largely driven by post colonial guilt.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

I notice that the "Telegraph" has been very sychophantic towards Patterson in its coverage, apart from a critical opinion piece in today's issue from Chris Bryant, whereas the "Mail" has been scathing towards Patterson and Johnson.

When Dave sacked Patterson several years ago, the Spectator ran piece proclaiming that his (deplorable and idiotic) sacking could only end up being absolutely fantastic news for Nigel Farage. Complete drivel of course, but it does demonstrate that there is a strange mystique surrounding Patterson at the magazine.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK local R

• Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    Not really, they were given a choice of him or Corbyn. Tory MPs putting him through to the membership ballot when in the previous leadership election over 100 joined a anyone but Boris whatsapp group. They knew he was rotten.
    Ultimately it is the electorate who put parties into power and it is upto losing parties to win back the votes

You can ask why labour and the lib dems are failing to cut through in these crazy times
  • Options
    Disgusting scenes as Parliament splits down party lines on whether or not to impose a punishment on a member of the governing party found guilty by parliamentary committee of a serious offence. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/18/nicola-sturgeon-misled-scottish-parliament-alex-salmond-inquiry-committee-finds

https://twitter.com/fatshez/status/1455945699972026370?s=20

Doesn't remotely excuse today's events, but might that explain the high level of SNP abstentions?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Sad to see Tory mps let Patterson off.

Being an mp is a privilege. He clearly abused that.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options

Alistair said:

Dear God, the lack of comprehension is hilarious. "But but its Trump - people *hate* him"
    The issue is they *hate* him so can't see why other people may like Trump.

This is one of the biggest issues both the Democrats (and Labour) have. Their preferred attacks points just don't work for voters who are not left wing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500

The Tories are even worse than I thought. Although I'm yet to see the detailed breakdown, given there are 361 Tory MPs and only 250 votes were in favour, it looks like a lot of the remaining 111 abstained - especially as only 482 votes were cast. It can't just be pairing. How the f**k can you abstain on a cut and dried motion like this? Pure cowardice, I'd suggest.

13 Tory No's

Only 168 Labour No's / 199 MPs

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124
    Wow.

Only 13 / 45 SNP
    11 / 12 LD
    1 / 3 PC
    1 / 2 Alba
    1 / 2 SDLP
    2 / 6 Independent (1 / 6 Independent voted Aye)

0 / 8 DUP (1 / 8 DUP voted Aye)

So the opposition really could have won this. Its a shame none of the Opposition MPs who wanted this to be carried felt free to vote Aye instead of abstaining.
    Never prevent let your opponents making mistakes?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    No. The members of the Conservative Party. The electorate couldn't and can't choose the PM.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

I mean it is the Houses of Parliament. Where votes are cast and policies therefore enacted or not.

I saw a post earlier saying that if all the opposition parties had voted against then it may have been defeated. I would boot pairing into the deep blue yonder, frankly. Plus any Lab MP who wasn't paired needs to be binned.

got back an read the posts above.

60 Tory MPs with permission not to vote. 28 Labour MPs is way less than 60 - so it's fair to assume every Labour MP who didn't vote is paired with a Tory MP.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

And the comments are brutal for the government. The calculation is that the people making these brutal comments will still vote Tory because Brexit / Labour. As I've said for a while I think turnout at the next election will be the real victim of all this.
    If that is a strike of erstwhile Tories, then we could get quite a few very strange results. There was not a strike on C&A though, I think plenty of former Tories will vote against Johnson.
  • Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,063
    darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

Would like to s
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

As far as I can see it is an anglo saxon thing, largely driven by post colonial guilt.
    It has origins going way back to obscure, extreme American race and gender studies of the 1960s, with half a nod to Cultural Marxism. From there the fungus slowly infested sociology, then anthropology, geography, and in the last decade pretty much all of academe

And in the last few years, it has exploded everywhere. Shedding spores

It is dangerous because it is so similar to a religion. It replaces religion, by offering the same absolute moral certainties, in a bewildering world. There is no arguing with Woke. You either submit and agree, as in Islam, or you are haram. A racist or a transphobe or whatever. That's it

• Options

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Not making any comment on the optimistic picture that you paint, but why do you pick the year 2014 as the expiration date for the Conservative Party?
    The fateful decision to make the EU referendum a full manifesto commitment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Looks like Owen Paterson voted for the Andrea Leadsom amendment without declaring his interest.

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1455933341681733638?t=rwLF420XXk3Mubfcs-RnNQ&s=19

• Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    The Badgers, Oops Tories have moved the goalposts.

I still haven't learnt to do strikethroughs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Given there was no criminal activity in this case clearly the penalties of a Crown Court trial are not relevant. Had Patterson committed a criminal offence and been found guilty he would have faced criminal sanction, even jail, regardless of his wife's suicide. However he faced no criminal sanction so his fellow MPs could decide whether they wanted to impose any sanctions on him or not over his lobbying work given the context.

I stand by my view MPs should be judged solely at election time or by their local parties as they always used to be. They are elected for 5 year terms and unless they get a substantial prison sentence should be allowed to complete that term and judged on how they performed at it at the next election

I honestly believe that, looking at a summary of the postings you have made on here over the last few years from supporting the beating of Spanish Grandmothers to threatening to use tanks against Scotland, if you could actually get rid of elections altogether and just have permanent Tory rule by decree then that would suit you down to the ground.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I rather fear Northern_Al is more correct that these things do not resonate enough.
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    Ultimately it is the electorate who put parties into power and it is upto losing parties to win back the votes

You can ask why labour and the lib dems are failing to cut through in these crazy times
    Labour were crazy to elect Corbyn and I have always criticised the Labour MPs who enabled him, despite knowing him to be unsuitable. I shall do the same with Tory MPs who enabled Johnson.
  • Options
    MattW said:

The Tories are even worse than I thought. Although I'm yet to see the detailed breakdown, given there are 361 Tory MPs and only 250 votes were in favour, it looks like a lot of the remaining 111 abstained - especially as only 482 votes were cast. It can't just be pairing. How the f**k can you abstain on a cut and dried motion like this? Pure cowardice, I'd suggest.

13 Tory No's

Wow.

Only 13 / 45 SNP
    11 / 12 LD
    1 / 3 PC
    1 / 2 Alba
    1 / 2 SDLP

So the opposition really could have won this. Its a shame none of the Opposition MPs who wanted this to be carried felt free to vote Aye instead of abstaining.
    They would have immeasurably weakened the govt if they had defeated this. Shown to be taking the moral high ground and condemning the Cons to wallow in the sleaze.

Do you think anyone in CCHQ is spending more than 0.4 seconds worrying about this non-defeat?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    No. The members of the Conservative Party. The electorate couldn't and can't choose the PM.
    They voted for him and the party with an 80 seat majority
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

The fateful decision to make the EU referendum a full manifesto commitment.
    Ain't democracy a bitch.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I rather fear NorthernAl is more correct that these things do not resonate enough.
    Oh, let us not be in any doubt, one mention of France and fish and all will be forgiven.
  • Options
    Unlike so many other unpopular moves, this Patterson vote is one that the government cannot u-turn on. They own it completely and irrevocably. There is no wriggle room whatsoever. Good.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MattW said:

13 Tory No's

Wow.

Only 13 / 45 SNP
    11 / 12 LD
    1 / 3 PC
    1 / 2 Alba
    1 / 2 SDLP

They would have immeasurably weakened the govt if they had defeated this. Shown to be taking the moral high ground and condemning the Cons to wallow in the sleaze.

Do you think anyone in CCHQ is spending more than 0.4 seconds worrying about this non-defeat?
    Sadly true. They will learn no lessons from this except that might is right.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

What could possibly go wrong?

Twelve trans prisoners convicted of violence or sexual crimes have been accommodated in Scottish women’s jails within the past 18 months, according to figures released under Freedom of Information laws.

A long-awaited review by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) into Scotland’s transgender prison policy will consider ending the rare practice of transitioning male inmates demanding a move to female housing.

Only one of the prisoners had completed transition and the other 11 were self-identifying as female, it has emerged.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-sex-offenders-are-moved-into-womens-jails-wmfb9k5n0

So they are considering ending this rare practice. What is it you're worried about? Why are you saying "what could possibly go wrong?" like that? I don't quite follow.
    You don't find the idea of a woman being imprisoned in the same prison as another prisoner with a male body, convicted of sexual violence against women, to be chilling?

There are few more terrifying scenarios.
    I don't see it per se as chilling - it depends on various things - but neither do I think it should be the unquestioned norm. I think the system should be that a person who is convicted of a crime and is transgender can request (not demand) that they be accommodated in a prison of their (now) gender and it gets assessed on a case-by-case basis. What happens atm in Scotland, do you know?
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then

Absolutely valid point. Opposition parties just don't benefit from the way they used to. Question though is whether the government should be exploiting this to drive through good things - why governments are supposed to be elected - or continue to bin the rules and roll around in the mud of open corruption.

No other Tory PM would be doing this. Because its wrong.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

You have utterly missed my point.

Let me take you through it slowly.

The more serious the sanctions on the table, the more important it is to guarantee fair treatment to the accused.
    That is why the highest level of protection applies in the Crown Court, because serious criminal sanctions are on the table.

Criminal sanctions are not on the table in an MP's disciplinary case. So the protections afforded to the accused can hardly be expected to be greater.

So, if the impact of the process on the health of family members of the accused isn't relevant in the Crown Court (particularly, but not only, because that impact is the fault of the accused first and foremost) then it is ludicrous to suggest it's a mitigation for the MP. That would mean giving greater protections in a case where the consequences for the accused are less, which is madness.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

You're engaging in wishful thinking, but there's a chance you're right.
    Another bale of straw has been hefted up onto the poor camel.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

60 Tory MPs with permission not to vote. 28 Labour MPs is way less than 60 - so it's fair to assume every Labour MP who didn't vote is paired with a Tory MP.
    13/45 SNP MPs?

Plus the rest as per @Philip_Thompson's post?

Bollocks to pairing whatever, you want to bring the government down if you are the opposition. Make them come in from wherever.

As I said the airwaves were full of Cons MPs saying they would vote against.

But that's fine. Lab is playing the long game. They will challenge this one and form their own government in the long run.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

Would like to s
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

It has origins going way back to obscure, extreme American race and gender studies of the 1960s, with half a nod to Cultural Marxism. From there the fungus slowly infested sociology, then anthropology, geography, and in the last decade pretty much all of academe

It is dangerous because it is so similar to a religion. It replaces religion, by offering the same absolute moral certainties, in a bewildering world. There is no arguing with Woke. You either submit and agree, as in Islam, or you are haram. A racist or a transphobe or whatever. That's it
    If you're going to draw parallels with a religion, can you at least get a better understanding of the religion?
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then
    They get the choice between Incumbent and LOTO - so they do get a bit of choice.

And the choice was Bozo last time.

Suck it up lefties
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    There’s not much us mere voters can do apart from email our MPs and express our view of the latest antics (as well as vote against them at the next election)

Unfortunately, my MP is Michael Gove,
  • Options

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then

Absolutely valid point. Opposition parties just don't benefit from the way they used to. Question though is whether the government should be exploiting this to drive through good things - why governments are supposed to be elected - or continue to bin the rules and roll around in the mud of open corruption.

I could see Corbyn as PM doing the same process to protect his comrades. And the Tories who are meh about this, or even defending it today would be absolutely frothing about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Sometimes he is actually right about things

@DPJHodges I don’t understand the politics in this Owen Patterson vote. What’s the upside for Boris and the government. What does he think he gets out of it. Complete gift for Labour.

There’s not much us mere voters can do apart from email our MPs and express our view of the latest antics (as well as vote against them at the next election)

At least you know from past experience he'd undermine Boris if the opportunity arose for him to benefit. Sadly that is improbable.

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then

I could see Corbyn as PM doing the same process to protect his comrades. And the Tories who are meh about this, or even defending it today would be absolutely frothing about it.
    It's the classic 'turn the protagonists around' test. It's obvious how it would be seen in that case.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

You have utterly missed my point.

Let me take you through it slowly.

The more serious the sanctions on the table, the more important it is to guarantee fair treatment to the accused.
    That is why the highest level of protection applies in the Crown Court, because serious criminal sanctions are on the table.

Criminal sanctions are not on the table in an MP's disciplinary case. So the protections afforded to the accused can hardly be expected to be greater.

So, if the impact of the process on the health of family members of the accused isn't relevant in the Crown Court (particularly, but not only, because that impact is the fault of the accused first and foremost) then it is ludicrous to suggest it's a mitigation for the MP. That would mean giving greater protections in a case where the consequences for the accused are less, which is madness.
    It is important to offer a fair trial yes, especially in criminal trials.

In terms of sanction however for the guilty while in a serious criminal matter the suicide of a family member may not be taken into account, in a non criminal matter like this where the most likely sanction was simply a trivial month's suspension then if MPs wanted to drop that punishment because of the context that is their right to do so.

As I have said I remain of the view in any case MPs should solely be judged by their constituents and local parties anyway not Parliament on how they have performed in their job.

• Options
    kle4 said:

@DPJHodges I don’t understand the politics in this Owen Patterson vote. What’s the upside for Boris and the government. What does he think he gets out of it. Complete gift for Labour.

At least you know from past experience he'd undermine Boris if the opportunity arose for him to benefit. Sadly that is improbable.

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then

It's the classic 'turn the protagonists around' test. It's obvious how it would be seen in that case.
    To be fair I think a small majority of Tory posters today have unequivocally criticised the decision, still disappointing how many excuses are made by others.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Unlike so many other unpopular moves, this Patterson vote is one that the government cannot u-turn on. They own it completely and irrevocably. There is no wriggle room whatsoever. Good.

At least in the days of duck houses, moat cleaning and stable heating it was just greed. This is far worse. Any member who voted for this amendment voted to permit corruption. They are now accessories in common enterprise to loot the public purse for themselves and their mates.

I would be interested if anyone has a list of abstentions/rebels.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

Would like to s
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

Yet who are the true believers of the woke religion? Mainly students and some liberal academics and a few in the public sector.

It is hardly a religious force growing on the scale of evangelical Christianity or Islam globally yet.

• Options

kle4 said:

Sky breaking

December 2022 though

The electorate then

To be fair I think a small majority of Tory posters today have unequivocally criticised the decision, still disappointing how many excuses are made by others.
    I think the vast majority of Tory posters [including Tory voters at last election who have since left the party] have opposed the amendment today.

I agree with Hunt etc on this, that the right to natural justice and an appeal should happen here, but it doesn't seem many others do.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,194
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

*the numbers*

The add up for all the opposition MPs who didn't vote being paired. Said to be ~50 Tory MPs who rebelled, including 13 who voted against. That reduces the nominal government majority by ~63, which with an initial government majority of ~80 fits very well with the majority on the vote of 18.

If all the Tory abstentions had voted against then the government would have lost by ~20. That's the disappointment.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

At least in the days of duck houses, moat cleaning and stable heating it was just greed. This is far worse. Any member who voted for this amendment voted to permit corruption. They are now accessories in common enterprise to loot the public purse for themselves and their mates.

I would be interested if anyone has a list of abstentions/rebels.
    https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124#noes
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

This sort of prediction turns me on, it really does. Cold shower time.
This discussion has been closed.