Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Protecting Patterson – the Tory gift to the Opposition – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,094

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

On Stock, I have to say that I'd be reluctant to send* my children to Sussex (if they were at that point - there's another 15+ years for them to turn it around) given recent events.

*not that it would be up to me, of course, but if they asked my opinion I'd be more negative

Their reputation as a bastion of free thought or intellectual curiosity has been completely and utterly trashed. I would like to think that the University would appreciate that and apply appropriate sanctions on the students responsible. But I doubt it. It was telling how little support she seems to have received.
    Interesting also that the UCU don't seem to have been campaigning on this.* May be that she wasn't a member of course, but even so they should have been on it on the principle.

*I'm not a member, so they may have done things that I missed
    The local UCU reps threw Stock under the bus.
    UCU again?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Leon said:

What could possibly go wrong?

Twelve trans prisoners convicted of violence or sexual crimes have been accommodated in Scottish women’s jails within the past 18 months, according to figures released under Freedom of Information laws.

A long-awaited review by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) into Scotland’s transgender prison policy will consider ending the rare practice of transitioning male inmates demanding a move to female housing.

Only one of the prisoners had completed transition and the other 11 were self-identifying as female, it has emerged.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-sex-offenders-are-moved-into-womens-jails-wmfb9k5n0

This is allegedly a letter from an Edinburgh school to all its parents

"My son is 5 and just got this from the school!
    Let kids be kids ffs this feels like something Derek Mackay dreamt up!
    #letkidsbekids #LeaveOurChildrenalone"

https://twitter.com/British_Megan/status/1455842315432599554?s=20

She offers no proof so it could easily be a hoax. However she does add some context for plausibility, and one of the replies is from another parent claiming they got the same letter....
    What's wrong with that?

Far better that boys be allowed to wear skirts and told that's okay, than encouraged to think that if they want to wear skirts it's a sign that they're "really a girl" and should be taking irreversible medical treatment.
    There is also the small matter that in Scotland it's the men who often wear skirts on the most formal and public occasions.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

malcolmg said:

Blair and Campbell were able to firmly pin sleaze to the incumbent Tory government.

Will Starmer or Davey be able to do the same?

Should be really really simple with this lot of chancers. Be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    It was almost as if Campbell could magic up the right bit of sleaze on demand and make it appear on whichever front pages he wanted.

Almost.
    Tories do not even try to hide it nowadays.
  • I'm so glad Aaron Bell listened to my ethics seminars.
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

She was talking complete rubbish in a lot of her questions but came across far more interesting than Mogadon Man.

I'd score it 2-1 to Boris.

After Ed, Angela and Reeves have all done better in their replies/questions than dreary Sir Keir ever does normally. Surely MPs in Labour are going to have to do a leadership challenge soon rather than let him bore them on to another defeat?
    ‘ LOL, Boris says Rayner has "a gigawatt more energy" than Starmer. Actually turning the fact she duffed him up into an advantage for him.’

https://twitter.com/oflynnsocial/status/1455871493083209736?s=21
    Trump playbook again. Keir "low energy" Starmer.
    Didn't work that well for loser Trump in the end though. I have always said it is in the interests of Tories to talk up Rayner because she is so repulsive to the floating voter. A Labour Party led by Rayner (or some other Corbynite left wing nutter) is about the only thing that could persuade me to vote Tory at the moment
    Could be something in that, yes. Mind you, with the Patterson scandal, Angela's "tory scum" isn't looking quite as wild-eyed as it did. Will she retract that apology?
    One of the many interesting psychoses in politics is that of psychological projection. When Rayner calls Tories "scum" it reminds me of when Malcolmg accuses another poster of being "thick as mince".
    F off scumbag, back under your rock you cretinous imbecile. Dribble about some one who cares.
    See MalcolmG is having one of his better days.
    It was gentle for that absolute scumbag.

eek said:

dr_spyn said:
    Former member of this parish...
    He surely can't be visiting PB nowadays though. No one who's seen Philip Thompson's musings on the matter could possibly perceive the government's actions as being anything other than wholesome, justifiable and good.
    I am most unimpressed and agree with Aaron Bell

Paterson should serve his suspension
    But that would upset Mr Johnson. (Not sure why, actually, with a mahority of 80 or so. DUP link? Something much worse coming uP? As others have pointed out.)
  • Yay, another year of this, to help poor lawyers earn work.

NEW: An approximate trial date has been suggested for the lawsuit against Prince Andrew.

A judge in New York says it’s likely to be held next Autumn/Fall.
    He told legal teams acting for Andrew and his accuser Virginia Giuffre, the date is likely to be Sept-Dec 2022.

Lawyers for both Prince Andrew and Virginia Giuffre estimate they will submit around dozen depositions each.

That will include sworn evidence from both the Defendant (Andrew) and the Plaintiff (Giuffre).

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1455916876308090885
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

O/T The Scottish Tories just might have found a bit of talent here:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1455564097664192518

I was expecting a goat or a donkey picture David.
    What you got was an NHS doctor who knows of what he speaks and who speaks well. Certainly better than most in the toon cooncil.
    They will soon knock any sense out of him David, any initiative shown and he will be dumped.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,087
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

dr_spyn said:
    He surely can't be visiting PB nowadays though. No one who's seen Philip Thompson's musings on the matter could possibly perceive the government's actions as being anything other than wholesome, justifiable and good.

But that would upset Mr Johnson. (Not sure why, actually, with a mahority of 80 or so. DUP link? Something much worse coming uP? As others have pointed out.)
    He can't afford his people being pulled up for poor ethics and lack of standards...where might such crazed lunacy end?

Yay, another year of this, to help poor lawyers earn work.

NEW: An approximate trial date has been suggested for the lawsuit against Prince Andrew.

He told legal teams acting for Andrew and his accuser Virginia Giuffre, the date is likely to be Sept-Dec 2022.

Lawyers for both Prince Andrew and Virginia Giuffre estimate they will submit around dozen depositions each.

That will include sworn evidence from both the Defendant (Andrew) and the Plaintiff (Giuffre).

Hmm, what's wrong with calling him Mountbatten-Windsor? It's a republic for heaven's sake.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Aaron Bell declares he will vote against

I agree and hope many more do the same

This is just wrong

Well said Big G. And you're a bellweather - yes you are! - so this means Patterson's chips are fried.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Twelve trans prisoners convicted of violence or sexual crimes have been accommodated in Scottish women’s jails within the past 18 months, according to figures released under Freedom of Information laws.

A long-awaited review by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) into Scotland’s transgender prison policy will consider ending the rare practice of transitioning male inmates demanding a move to female housing.

Only one of the prisoners had completed transition and the other 11 were self-identifying as female, it has emerged.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-sex-offenders-are-moved-into-womens-jails-wmfb9k5n0

She offers no proof so it could easily be a hoax. However she does add some context for plausibility, and one of the replies is from another parent claiming they got the same letter....
    I’m not sure why British_Megan is reluctant to apply the disinfectant of sunlight to the identity of the school, though she certainly seems to have got peoples’ danders up which is probably mission accomplished.

Apropos of nothing, astounding the number of UJs in the profiles of replies to that tweet.
    Yes, I am suspicious too. However her rationale: she does not want to embarrass the kids - including her own - seems reasonable

Geo Galloway of that Ilk has lustily retweeted it
    Yes - George does everything "lustily", doesn't he?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    The entire school is insane

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1
    P3B have been preparing for Thursday, when P6 are encouraging everybody to wear a skirt to raise awareness of #LaRopaNoTieneGenero, or as our lovely posters say ‘clothing has no gender’ @MissWhiteCV @MissMcGroryCV.

How old are these kids? 6? Maybe 7?

https://twitter.com/MissMooreheadCV/status/1455205389281239041?s=20
    kinabalu said:

This is just wrong

Well said Big G. And you're a bellweather - yes you are! - so this means Patterson's chips are fried.
    Not sure. The rush by Mr J et al means the public have had hardly any time to react. Graun feed nevertheless has MPs commenting they are already getting serious feedback from their constituents.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kinabalu said:

This is just wrong

It's bellwether, by the way :)
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited November 2021
    250 - 232

Cries of shame
  • More evidence to nuke The Met.

A police officer who photographed the bodies of murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman has also posted controversial images on Facebook, it can be revealed.

PC Deniz Jaffer, 48, has a public account called 'Hornchurch Turk' which has pictures of him in 'blackface' fancy dress at a party.

There is also a sinister looking snap of a woman who appears to be passed out drunk on a London tube.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10161035/Deniz-Jaffer-Met-Officer-shared-photograph-murdered-sisters-posted-blackface-photograph.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    MPs have backed Boris Johnson's plans to overhaul disciplinary process in a move which blocks the suspension of Owen Paterson

Leadsom amendment passes by 250 votes to 232
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1455923976866308097?s=20
    "P6 have been learning about the importance of breaking down gender stereotypes."

P6 means the kids are nine. These poor wee Scottish lads and lasses are being taught to "break down gender stereotypes". Age 9

I mean, if you want to rear a generation of people completely fucked up about sex, this is the way to do it

https://twitter.com/MissWhiteCV/status/1453439650941505549?s=20
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

MPs have backed Boris Johnson's plans to overhaul disciplinary process in a move which blocks the suspension of Owen Paterson

Nothing to be proud of @HYUFD
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

eek said:

dr_spyn said:

I'd say you've got that right to a T but, sadly, you are one short.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

More evidence to nuke The Met.

A police officer who photographed the bodies of murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman has also posted controversial images on Facebook, it can be revealed.

PC Deniz Jaffer, 48, has a public account called 'Hornchurch Turk' which has pictures of him in 'blackface' fancy dress at a party.

There is also a sinister looking snap of a woman who appears to be passed out drunk on a London tube.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10161035/Deniz-Jaffer-Met-Officer-shared-photograph-murdered-sisters-posted-blackface-photograph.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Now, now, we all know there's nothing wrong with blackface fancy dress...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49758613

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

She was talking complete rubbish in a lot of her questions but came across far more interesting than Mogadon Man.

I'd score it 2-1 to Boris.

After Ed, Angela and Reeves have all done better in their replies/questions than dreary Sir Keir ever does normally. Surely MPs in Labour are going to have to do a leadership challenge soon rather than let him bore them on to another defeat?
    ‘ LOL, Boris says Rayner has "a gigawatt more energy" than Starmer. Actually turning the fact she duffed him up into an advantage for him.’

https://twitter.com/oflynnsocial/status/1455871493083209736?s=21
    Trump playbook again. Keir "low energy" Starmer.
    Didn't work that well for loser Trump in the end though. I have always said it is in the interests of Tories to talk up Rayner because she is so repulsive to the floating voter. A Labour Party led by Rayner (or some other Corbynite left wing nutter) is about the only thing that could persuade me to vote Tory at the moment
    Could be something in that, yes. Mind you, with the Patterson scandal, Angela's "tory scum" isn't looking quite as wild-eyed as it did. Will she retract that apology?
    You have a strange definition of scum! Murderers, child molesters and terrorists seem to deserve. Someone who writes a lot of letters certainly isn't. You could call him a number of other things - fraud, liar, hypocrite would all be in the realms of related to the offence.

The recall element seems to have driven an outcome here that a compassionate committee may have accepted. If his Wife committing suicide had anything to do with the accusations then any suspension is dwarfed by his personal loss

I do think the comparisons made to the 90s are misplaced though - the key thing on the ninetie was that Major was driving his moralistic back to basics campaign whilst his MPs were having affairs, indulging in interesting sexual practices and committing fraud. I will eat my hat if Boris starts a similar campaign!!!!
    Yes, sorry, that was non-serious. "Scum" isn't a word we want bandied around.
  • A sad day for democracy.
    DavidL said:

eek said:

dr_spyn said:

I'd say you've got that right to a T but, sadly, you are one short.
    Not to mention another nine, alas.
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

Yay, another year of this, to help poor lawyers earn work.

Hmm, what's wrong with calling him Mountbatten-Windsor? It's a republic for heaven's sake.
    They respect the fact his great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather used to be their head of state I presume, even if they did fight a war to gain independence from British rule
    Leon said:

"P6 have been learning about the importance of breaking down gender stereotypes."

P6 means the kids are nine. These poor wee Scottish lads and lasses are being taught to "break down gender stereotypes". Age 9

I mean, if you want to rear a generation of people completely fucked up about sex, this is the way to do it

More like 11 actually, but yes. My sister is teaching P7 this year. I will have to ask her what her plans are for Thursday.
  • HYUFD said:

Poor show by non Tories there as well as the government. Should have been able to get over 250.
  • Called it, Yorkshire are fucked.

We have taken the decision to remove our brand association with YCCC and Headingley Stadium. We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour. We hope that YCCC will respond with serious action and uphold the values we all expect.

https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/news-and-press-releases/emerald-removes-brand-association-yorkshire-county-cricket-club
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

Far better that boys be allowed to wear skirts and told that's okay, than encouraged to think that if they want to wear skirts it's a sign that they're "really a girl" and should be taking irreversible medical treatment.
    They're far too young
    Far too young to wear a skirt?

There's nothing about wearing a skirt that should be seen as remotely unusual. It's a piece of cloth stitched into a particular shape. They're not introducing them to dildos.
  • Phew, Leon didn't post the story about Emerald before I did.

I thought we might have a dupe.
    I missed this one

Joe Biden was flashed by a "large, naked Scottish man" as he travelled to COP26 climate talks, American media says.

The US President is in Scotland along with more than 100 world leaders as he aims to thrash out a deal to limit global temperature rises and get states to go net zero by 2050.

He has been travelling from a hotel in Edinburgh to Glasgow for the talks, and while en route he reportedly encountered an unclothed man who wanted pictures of the motorcade.

A US media pool report said: "At one point when we were still on smaller country roads, a large, naked Scottish man stood in his front window taking a picture of the motorcade with his phone."

It is unclear why the man had failed to dress up while taking getting photographs of the convoy.

One news outlet suggested he could have forgotten to get dressed in an excited rush to see Mr Biden.

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

There's nothing about wearing a skirt that should be seen as remotely unusual. It's a piece of cloth stitched into a particular shape. They're not introducing them to dildos.
    And I've already pointed out this is Scotland. Where the formal national dress is a skirt, for either/any sex/gender.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

More like 11 actually, but yes. My sister is teaching P7 this year. I will have to ask her what her plans are for Thursday.
    But it's worse than that. Now we know this is all true we can go back to the original source

This is being done across the school, to kids as young as five. Nursery

https://twitter.com/British_Megan/status/1455889528607154180?s=20
    My expectation is that the Standards Commissioner will now resign throwing this into further disarray. We have been down this road before but, sadly, we seem to have learned nothing.

Its not easy being a Tory, is it?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Do we think India have a high enough total to defend in the T20?
  • Further proof that people who attend the University of Oxford are such ghastly entitled people.

A jobless and “demanding” Oxford graduate who trained to be a lawyer has lost a court bid to force his wealthy parents to pay him maintenance for life.

Faiz Siddiqui, 41, claimed that he was completely dependent on his elderly parents, who have given him cash and allowed him to live in a £1 million flat they own near Hyde Park in London.

However the Court of Appeal heard that after a disagreement, Siddiqui’s “long-suffering” parents cut their support, triggering a legal challenge by their son.

Yesterday judges dismissed Siddiqui’s claim, ruling that “whatever the moral position might be, parents should be under no legal duty to support their adult children, however grave their need”.

Siddiqui received an upper second-class degree in history from Brasenose College, Oxford, and a master’s in taxation. Four years ago Siddiqui sued Oxford University for £1m, claiming that his failure to receive a first-class degree was the result of inadequate teaching. A High Court judge dismissed his claim in 2018.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oxford-educated-lawyer-loses-court-battle-to-force-parents-to-pay-his-way-lczxvm8sm

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

Far too young to have their brains messed with concepts like "breaking down gender stereotypes". It is lunacy

And as we see they are doing it to kids as young as 5
    Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1
    P3B have been preparing for Thursday, when P6 are encouraging everybody to wear a skirt to raise awareness of #LaRopaNoTieneGenero, or as our lovely posters say ‘clothing has no gender’ @MissWhiteCV @MissMcGroryCV.

Primary 3 will be 7 years old
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Called it, Yorkshire are fucked.

We have taken the decision to remove our brand association with YCCC and Headingley Stadium. We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour. We hope that YCCC will respond with serious action and uphold the values we all expect.

https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/news-and-press-releases/emerald-removes-brand-association-yorkshire-county-cricket-club

A CCC being outclassed by something called Leeds Rhinos is notable.
  • DavidL said:

My expectation is that the Standards Commissioner will now resign throwing this into further disarray. We have been down this road before but, sadly, we seem to have learned nothing.

I simply cannot defend today
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

It’s Scotland. Their national dress, for men, is a skirt.

I listen to a few anti-woke podcasts (spiked, triggernonetery etc) and they get themselves really worked up over this stuff.

They’re living in a bubble of their own creation.

No one, in the real world, cares.
  • Still I reckon Owen Paterson is the new Dom Cummings.

Tories will defend him to the hilt today then a few months later, it'll be a case of he's a wrong 'un, always knew it, I never supported him.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

Far too young to have their brains messed with concepts like "breaking down gender stereotypes". It is lunacy

What is wrong with breaking down gender stereotypes? Sounds like a good thing.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

What next HYUFD? Johnson really is "Britain Trump".

• A jobless and “demanding” Oxford graduate who trained to be a lawyer has lost a court bid to force his wealthy parents to pay him maintenance for life.

Siddiqui received an upper second-class degree in history from Brasenose College, Oxford, and a master’s in taxation. Four years ago Siddiqui sued Oxford University for £1m, claiming that his failure to receive a first-class degree was the result of inadequate teaching. A High Court judge dismissed his claim in 2018.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oxford-educated-lawyer-loses-court-battle-to-force-parents-to-pay-his-way-lczxvm8sm

A groundbreaking campaigner for intergenerational fairness and improving standards in Higher Education, surely?
  • malcolmg said:

I missed this one

Joe Biden was flashed by a "large, naked Scottish man" as he travelled to COP26 climate talks, American media says.

The US President is in Scotland along with more than 100 world leaders as he aims to thrash out a deal to limit global temperature rises and get states to go net zero by 2050.

He has been travelling from a hotel in Edinburgh to Glasgow for the talks, and while en route he reportedly encountered an unclothed man who wanted pictures of the motorcade.

A US media pool report said: "At one point when we were still on smaller country roads, a large, naked Scottish man stood in his front window taking a picture of the motorcade with his phone."

It is unclear why the man had failed to dress up while taking getting photographs of the convoy.

One news outlet suggested he could have forgotten to get dressed in an excited rush to see Mr Biden.

I didnt notice any posts from you that day......coincidence?
  • Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    10m
    BREAKING Standards reform passes: 250 votes for, 232 votes against.
    Shouts of 'shame!' from Labour. And one MP: 'What have you done to this place'.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

Just seen something on twitter from a primary in, I think, Scotland. Applies from nursery to P7. Beggars belief, frankly.
  • MaxPB said:

So continues the Tory descent into autocracy. How did the opposition not have the numbers either? The government could have been defeated but where was Labour marshalling their own MPs and disaffected Tories into defeating the government?!

Pairing.

So they are considering ending this rare practice. What is it you're worried about? Why are you saying "what could possibly go wrong?" like that? I don't quite follow.
  • MaxPB said:

So continues the Tory descent into autocracy. How did the opposition not have the numbers either? The government could have been defeated but where was Labour marshalling their own MPs and disaffected Tories into defeating the government?!

It is fair comment and how can the opposition not have defeated this
  • HYUFD said:

Poor show by non Tories there as well as the government. Should have been able to get over 250.
    232 is about 50 opposition no-shows, isn't it?
    In some ways, understandable; this was a bit of a snap vote. But it also points to something rotten in the state of Britain.

Why does BoJo behave as if he can do whatever he damn well pleases?
    Because, in the main, he can.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

Pairing.
    Even with pairing, surely the votes existed to defeat the government.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Wonders if the betting market on the next by-election will be moving tomorrow.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/cps/news/claudia-webbe-mp-guilty-harassment

Sentencing due tomorrow on Claudia Webbe MP.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited November 2021
    Driver of the train in the Salisbury crash is 74 and has been driving trains in the areas for "around 50 years". He must really love his job! I hope he is able to make a full recovery, but unfortunately his injuries have been described as "life changing".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-59143021
  • Shocking point made by Leader of the House that many of the Committee members who dismissed Paterson's concerns over the report were not even present when Paterson gave his evidence to the Committee.

That is truly shocking.

I assume they have since read the transcript and cross-referenced it against the reams of evidence that Patterson was breaking the rules?
    And would you have the same standards with a jury, or an employment tribunal etc?

So what if a juror wasn't there to here the defendants evidence, they can still vote to convict after reading the minutes?

I note that the Ayes for the amendment was lower than the number of Opposition MPs.

It seems to me that a considerable number of non-Tories must have also secretly thought that this amendment should have gone through and have abstained as a matter of conscience. It seems a shame they didn't feel free to vote for the motion due to petty partisanship.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    MaxPB said:

Had wondered if Labour wanted Boris Johnson to seize the amoral high ground.
  • Pyrrhic victory?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.
    Not really - Tories have a majority of 80.

And won by 18 votes.

HYUFD said:

What next HYUFD? Johnson really is "Britain Trump".
    Though he still is in power unlike Trump (though who knows what will happen in 2024 after yesterday's swing to the GOP)
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

Gender stereotypes - like those that have outwardly rational people on here musing that maybe women just aren't interested in politics, and that's why most MPs are men - are actively harmful.

Gender stereotypes are thought to be one reason why young men don't talk to others about being depressed, leading to a shockingly high rate of suicide.

We should certainly be teaching children that they can be who they want to be, and do what they want to do, regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    dr_spyn said:

MaxPB said:

Had wondered if Labour wanted Boris Johnson to seize the amoral high ground.
    Nah, inflicting a defeat on a government with a majority of 80 is an instant boost for any opposition.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748
    Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

I think this type of thing will seem very normal by this time next year.

DavidL said:

Only if you are one of the teeny minority that is not as dodgy as a three bob bit
  • The fact that only 250 out of 361 Tory MPs followed the @BorisJohnson edict on the sleaze vote reflects just how contentious this was. The PM can expect a torrent of media criticism - inc from Tory-supporting papers - tomorrow. Mood toxic.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1455926640630960131?s=20

Bad move, although I suspect it will blow over. Issues will come if they do something serious (like trigger Article 16 in a scope more than is necessary) then they have burnt a lot of goodwill.....

Further proof that people who attend the University of Oxford are such ghastly entitled people.

A jobless and “demanding” Oxford graduate who trained to be a lawyer has lost a court bid to force his wealthy parents to pay him maintenance for life.

Faiz Siddiqui, 41, claimed that he was completely dependent on his elderly parents, who have given him cash and allowed him to live in a £1 million flat they own near Hyde Park in London.

However the Court of Appeal heard that after a disagreement, Siddiqui’s “long-suffering” parents cut their support, triggering a legal challenge by their son.

Yesterday judges dismissed Siddiqui’s claim, ruling that “whatever the moral position might be, parents should be under no legal duty to support their adult children, however grave their need”.

I think I should sue my business school for failing to make me a billionaire ...
    kinabalu said:

So they are considering ending this rare practice. What is it you're worried about? Why are you saying "what could possibly go wrong?" like that? I don't quite follow.
    Think fox in chicken coop may be the translation
  • Mr. Borough, Pyrrhus was an order of magnitude more impressive than Boris Johnson.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    edited November 2021
    An occasional reminder that under our system an administration with a decent majority can do what it likes, pretty much.

Paging Lord Hailsham.

HYUFD said:

232 is about 50 opposition no-shows, isn't it?
    In some ways, understandable; this was a bit of a snap vote. But it also points to something rotten in the state of Britain.

Why does BoJo behave as if he can do whatever he damn well pleases?
    Because, in the main, he can.
    I think allowing for SF and the Speaker there should have been about 277 votes available to the Opposition plus any Tory with any concept of propriety like Aaron Bell. So it is pretty lamentable, albeit the temptation to have the Tories own this must have been great.
  • eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.

And won by 18 votes.
    273 opposition party MPs. Plus 6 independents, not sure how many of them would be classed with the opposition and how many were elected Conservatives who might expect to vote with the government.

Even with pairing, and less 1 Deputy Speaker and 2 Tellers it should have been possible to martial 250 votes which would have defeated the amendment.

Some opposition MPs either couldn't be bothered to turn up, or have abstained as a matter of conscience as they wanted the vote to be carried.

Further proof that people who attend the University of Oxford are such ghastly entitled people.

Would his getting a first class degree have made much difference anyway? A 2.1 from Oxford would have got him into most law firms even if not the top commercial barrristers chambers and indeed makes him just as qualified as the PM who also got a 2.1 from Oxford.

Surely he could have got any job anyway, cared for his parents and then when they passed away he would have got a hefty inheritance of millions they may now give to the local cats home!
    kinabalu said:

You don't find the idea of a woman being imprisoned in the same prison as another prisoner with a male body, convicted of sexual violence against women, to be chilling?

There are few more terrifying scenarios.

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.

And won by 18 votes.
    273 opposition party MPs. Plus 6 independents, not sure how many of them would be classed with the opposition and how many were elected Conservatives who might expect to vote with the government.

Even with pairing, and less 1 Deputy Speaker and 2 Tellers it should have been possible to martial 250 votes which would have defeated the amendment.

Some opposition MPs either couldn't be bothered to turn up, or have abstained as a matter of conscience as they wanted the vote to be carried.
    Lack of warning (deliberate, no doubt).
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    malcolmg said:

I missed this one

A large, naked Scottish man obsessed with Biden's motorcade.

That'll be Donald then.
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Miss Moorehead
    @MissMooreheadCV
    · Nov 1

I think this type of thing will seem very normal by this time next year.

Yes, Peak Woke will never happen, it will just continue and worsen

You have to wonder how mad it might get
  • In acting as it has today, the government will make it a lot easier for many in the majority who oppose it to hold their noses and to vote for whatever party is best placed to defeat the Tory candidate in their constituency at the next election.
    Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

I missed this one

That'll be Donald then.
    Doubt it. The description would then have been 'a large, naked, orange, Scottish man'

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.

And won by 18 votes.

Oh, so it's all SKS's fault? Now that really does take the Tunnock's teacake.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,094
    edited November 2021

More evidence to nuke The Met.

PC Deniz Jaffer, 48, has a public account called 'Hornchurch Turk' which has pictures of him in 'blackface' fancy dress at a party.Duh

DM overreaching there imo.

The alleged Blackface pic looks like him being himself. A you say - Duh. Shades of the faux outrage bus about that pic of Gina Miller.
    The "omigod he's with a bloke in a gimp mask" is also Duh.
    The tube snap of the 'passed out woman' is imo problematic.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785

kinabalu said:

You don't find the idea of a woman being imprisoned in the same prison as another prisoner with a male body, convicted of sexual violence against women, to be chilling?

There are few more terrifying scenarios.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-45436953
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    The Tories are even worse than I thought. Although I'm yet to see the detailed breakdown, given there are 361 Tory MPs and only 250 votes were in favour, it looks like a lot of the remaining 111 abstained - especially as only 482 votes were cast. It can't just be pairing. How the f**k can you abstain on a cut and dried motion like this? Pure cowardice, I'd suggest.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anyone who thinks Woke ‘isn’t an issue’ in the UK should watch this. From this morning

‘How awful this was to listen to. Students are possessed with Salem-style levels of hysteria. Where are the ones who say "hang on, guys, this is just wrong?" What a cowardly country. Shameful.’

https://twitter.com/charlottecgill/status/1455858027169472514?s=21

The madness is here too, tho it has metastasized.

There are nutters on both extremes of woke and anti woke, so sure it is an issue. Just a very minor one in the big scheme of things compared to the economy, environment, healthcare, international co-operation, housing, policing etc.
    It’s not minor.

But I give up. PB is determined to ignore it. Fair enough

But watch this space. Woke might get Trump re-elected. Think on that
    I have tipped him up consistently since Jan 2021 and will win a fair amount if he does, although very much hope he loses.
    Yes, I remember you taking issue with one of my NY predictions - the one that said Donald Trump will quickly fade way as a political player. I certainly got that wrong.

Could he blackmail the Reps to get the nomination, I wonder? "It's me or I run as independent MAGA" type thing?
    Trump to Republicans is the equivalent of Jesus to Christianity, he has no need to blackmail them, they will beg him to run and pay him billions to do so.
    Why will they want him to run when they know their best chance of winning is with someone else? I don't see it myself. He's 2.5 for the nomination so the betting has it more likely than not that he isn't the GOP candidate. The betting also has it at 27 that he wins the WH for a brand new MAGA party - which is the threat I'm referring to. The dream scenario is he does that and splits the vote and the Dems - with a great not Joe candidate - win easily. An unlikely dream scenario of course but dream scenarios are always unlikely. It's all very fascinating. If we can't make money off all of this we need shooting.
    "they know their best chance of winning is with someone else" - they bet tens of millions of pounds, often six figure life savings on Trump having won the 2020 election even after he lost it, they still believe he won today. You think they really believe anyone else has a better chance? Even if they did Trump would simply brand any such person a RINO traitor and they will be done.
    By "they" I mean the calculating party brass not the crazy foot soldiers. I think they'll want a candidate who appeals (enough) to the base but isn't Trump. How they're going to engineer this I can't tell you but it's such an imperative that I think they'll manage it. The WH is a massive prize, the biggest in politics, so I also expect some very ruthless machinations from other players. Just don't buy this "Trump'll walk the nomination" idea. It feels wrong to me. That said, I'm far more confident on my short of him for the presidency than for the nomination.
    I'm surprised that anyone paying attention to US politics for the last several years can still think that the party brass in the GOP are able or willing to prevail against Trump.

They failed in 2016. After Jan 6 there were signs that the shock had changed the situation. Some of us on here even speculated that McConnell might recommend GOP Senators vote for conviction, ruling Trump out of 2024 there and then.

But McCarthy, McConnell and other "party brass" soon came into line behind Trump and defenestrated Liz Cheney who did not.
    I get what you're saying. On the surface it looks like he has the nomination if he runs and logic says he runs. But he's a probable loser for the WH (and plenty of influential people will know this) plus there'll be others of ruthless ambition eyeing the prize. It's my opinion that out of this "soup" will come a GOP nominee that isn't Donald Trump. I also have "events" running for me. Stuff happens around this guy. Only takes one thing, if it's the right thing, to take him out of the equation. We'll see.
  • TimT said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

I missed this one

That'll be Donald then.
    Doubt it. The description would then have been 'a large, naked, orange, Scottish man'
    Has anyone seen Donald and the Tango Man in the same room?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVFnxHWnlc
    TimT said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

I missed this one

That'll be Donald then.
    Wouldn't help. It's almost a default amongst the habitues of the sun bars.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

HYUFD said:

Nothing to be proud of @HYUFD
    In fairness to HYUFD he just reporting it like he does a lot of stuff very well.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

I think, by and large, people are fairly tolerant of moves in this direction, so long as it isn't forced down their throats, or it involves their kids. Do that and you risk provoking a reaction which may remain subterranean for a while but will eventually force itself to the surface if you keep prodding.
  • The Tories are even worse than I thought. Although I'm yet to see the detailed breakdown, given there are 361 Tory MPs and only 250 votes were in favour, it looks like a lot of the remaining 111 abstained - especially as only 482 votes were cast. It can't just be pairing. How the f**k can you abstain on a cut and dried motion like this? Pure cowardice, I'd suggest.

13 Tory No's

Only 168 Labour No's / 199 MPs

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124
  • Carnyx said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.

And won by 18 votes.

I didn't see it was his fault, did I?

If some Opposition MPs wanted this to be carried, then that's quite reasonable for them to abstain on this.

It will be interesting to see the list of Opposition MPs who didn't vote.
  • This from Guido of all people

250 to 232 an 18 majority

A lot of Tories did not want to be associated with this vote
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

In acting as it has today, the government will make it a lot easier for many in the majority who oppose it to hold their noses and to vote for whatever party is best placed to defeat the Tory candidate in their constituency at the next election.

Yup. That's how I feel right now.
    Still waiting to find out how Duguid voted, but it's above and beyond individual MPs now. Boris needs to be gone.

Mr. Borough, Pyrrhus was an order of magnitude more impressive than Boris Johnson.

He'd certainly be a better classicist. Definite First in Greats.

Carnyx said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pairing.

And won by 18 votes.

I didn't see it was his fault, did I?

If some Opposition MPs wanted this to be carried, then that's quite reasonable for them to abstain on this.

It will be interesting to see the list of Opposition MPs who didn't vote.
    POint taken re SKS.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

They're far too young

I think, by and large, people are fairly tolerant of moves in this direction, so long as it isn't forced down their throats, or it involves their kids. Do that and you risk provoking a reaction which may remain subterranean for a while but will eventually force itself to the surface if you keep prodding.
    Particularly kids age 5-11, who are so impressionable. Crazy

Hence results like Virginia

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

When did Cameron’s aide, Steve Hilton, become an ardent anti-Woke campaigner?

Curious

‘Virginia we are all with you today!

Fight back against racist woke indoctrination in schools...the arrogance and failure of Democrat one party rule...the cruel and counter-productive lockdowns and school closures

Go Virginia, lead the way ✊’

https://twitter.com/stevehiltonx/status/1455540861484224512?s=21

When he realised it was raising billions of dollars in donations to indirectly fund the lifestyle of political aides?
    Hilton went funny a while ago. How you go from Big Society to MAGA, I really don't know. Could be, as you say, that he's in it for the bucks and clicks now. Lots of MAGA types are.

MAGA = Money, Attention, Grift, A ...

Damn, can't get a good 2nd word starting with 'A' to make that work.
    Ass?
    Yes, I so wanted to go with "Arsehole" - and "Ass" is better since we're talking the US - but it just wouldn't quite scan.
This discussion has been closed.