Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Protecting Patterson – the Tory gift to the Opposition – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

She was talking complete rubbish in a lot of her questions but came across far more interesting than Mogadon Man.

I'd score it 2-1 to Boris.

After Ed, Angela and Reeves have all done better in their replies/questions than dreary Sir Keir ever does normally. Surely MPs in Labour are going to have to do a leadership challenge soon rather than let him bore them on to another defeat?
    ‘ LOL, Boris says Rayner has "a gigawatt more energy" than Starmer. Actually turning the fact she duffed him up into an advantage for him.’

https://twitter.com/oflynnsocial/status/1455871493083209736?s=21
    Trump playbook again. Keir "low energy" Starmer.
    Didn't work that well for loser Trump in the end though. I have always said it is in the interests of Tories to talk up Rayner because she is so repulsive to the floating voter. A Labour Party led by Rayner (or some other Corbynite left wing nutter) is about the only thing that could persuade me to vote Tory at the moment
    Which, I imagine, is part of the reason that BoJo decided to talk up Angie.

That- and the fact that righteous anger (at a scummy government, one might say) was exactly right for today's big story but most of the time it helps BoJo to be questioned like that. See that CNN interview on Twitter for how silly he looks when calmly asked the right factual questions.

Political passion is like fast bowling. It's good to watch, but it needs to be deadly accurate to be effective. Otherwise, it just helps the batsman score.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Jacob Rees Mogg is using a lot of words but they all amount to the same thing: “We can do whatever the fuck we like and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
    https://twitter.com/KirstyStricklan/status/1455902382093709321
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

She was talking complete rubbish in a lot of her questions but came across far more interesting than Mogadon Man.

After Ed, Angela and Reeves have all done better in their replies/questions than dreary Sir Keir ever does normally. Surely MPs in Labour are going to have to do a leadership challenge soon rather than let him bore them on to another defeat?
    ‘ LOL, Boris says Rayner has "a gigawatt more energy" than Starmer. Actually turning the fact she duffed him up into an advantage for him.’

Didn't work that well for loser Trump in the end though. I have always said it is in the interests of Tories to talk up Rayner because she is so repulsive to the floating voter. A Labour Party led by Rayner (or some other Corbynite left wing nutter) is about the only thing that could persuade me to vote Tory at the moment
    Indeed, Rayner could even see Labour fall behind the LDs, at least on voteshare. Boris would easily beat her
  • Options
    TimS said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anyone who thinks Woke ‘isn’t an issue’ in the UK should watch this. From this morning

‘How awful this was to listen to. Students are possessed with Salem-style levels of hysteria. Where are the ones who say "hang on, guys, this is just wrong?" What a cowardly country. Shameful.’

https://twitter.com/charlottecgill/status/1455858027169472514?s=21

The madness is here too, tho it has metastasized.

There are nutters on both extremes of woke and anti woke, so sure it is an issue. Just a very minor one in the big scheme of things compared to the economy, environment, healthcare, international co-operation, housing, policing etc.
    It’s not minor.

But I give up. PB is determined to ignore it. Fair enough

But watch this space. Woke might get Trump re-elected. Think on that
    I have tipped him up consistently since Jan 2021 and will win a fair amount if he does, although very much hope he loses.
    I dread the idea of a 2nd Trump presidency. He’s a dangerous maniac who could cancel American democracy

Luckily, American voters sense this. They really don’t want to vote for him. My fear is that the Democrats will lurch ever further to the Left, double down on Wokery, and then in despair US voters will see Trump as the lesser of two evils
    Don't you think there is disproportionately more US moral panic directed at wokery than the frequently much crazier shenanigans of the American Christian right? Creationism, QAnon, Birtherism, you name it. Things that have direct consequences for politics. They seem to be shrugged off as a few crazies whilst the goings on of the crazies on the far left are expected to poison the entire Democrat party.
    Fair points. I think the disparity is because Woke (I’m still waiting for an alternative word) is an elite project exported from academe and handed down from top politicians, and is now infesting all levels of business, education, law, the arts, media, even science. It is an imposed ideology, and a revolutionary one

QAnon and the rest are perennial pitchfork insurrections, they are not new, nor are they as menacing to many, even if the theories have got crazier

January 6 WAS new. And very scary - to me. But I remind PB-ers that the Trumpites at the Capitol were only trying to do at speed what Remoaners tried to do for 2 years. Get a legal national vote overturned. Cancel democracy
    The fact that you can compare 6 Jan to Remainers says everything about your biased view.

Also if you mean by Remoaners Rejoiners why not say so. Just cos this is your definition of the word it isn't everybody's, so it just confuses your message and just looks like an insult. I only know what you mean because of a previous exchange with you.
    The similarity is that both were trying to use a mechanism other than the ballot box to overturn a democratic vote. If you can't see that then more fool you and it confirms my existing view of your true allegiance not being to this country and its people.
    Max again you are reading stuff into stuff I didn't post. I commented on making the comparison between 6 Jan and the actions of Remainers. No sane person can claim they are comparable regardless of the rights and wrongs as several have pointed out. You did the same the other day reading stuff into what I didn't post. You even commented on my views on the NI agreement which I have not even mentioned. Again I ask are you mixing me up with someone else?

Re my true allegiance not being to this country again I don't know where you get that from (you may of seen earlier I criticized Spain in a dispute with the UK). As a default I support England and GB. That is primarily at sporting events. However I judge people on what they do and say regardless of nationality. I find it odd anyone would do differently because of their nationality.
    It is a particularly British trait to denigrate oneself and one's country.
    Believe me the French are good at it too. I think we share an exceptionalism - made worse by the fact we've not travelled much recently - which is both positive and negative. People seem to be given to believe either that Britain (or the republique) is the greatest country in the world, or uniquely bad and incompetent. Few people seem comfortable with the idea that we could be remotely normal. Good at some things, bad or middling at others.
    In every country you will find some who subscribe to "my country, right or wrong" and others who frequently despair of some aspect or other of their country's history or current behaviour. The mistake people make is to think that the first group love their country more than the second.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Surely the big story of the day is Virginia, not Owen Patterson

Proximately it strongly suggests swinging Republican gains in 2022, rendering Biden a lame duck who will do very little, making it easier for the GOP to retake the White House in 2024

Ultimately, it is much bigger than that. It is the first time a shrewd right winger has cleverly weaponised Wokeness as a stick to thwack the Left, and boy, it works. Voters loathe this race and gender bullshit

I see almost no reason why the Republicans can’t repeat this across America, and the Counter-Reformation could spread to Canada, Oz, and the UK.

I say ‘almost’ because Trump, of course. He is the one confounding factor. Republicans need him to disappear, even as they maintain their grip on his base. If they can do that, they could dominate elections for a decade, because the American Left is not getting any less insane, any time soon

Virginia also neatly answers that persistent question. “What is Wokeness?”. Wokeness is what lost the Virginia election for the Left

Except that "wokeness" as is happening in America like many such culture wars just doesn't apply in the UK.

Last year some responded to the Black Lives Matter movement by saying "OK fair enough to protest American police violence but we don't have that issue in this country" which is right. We equally don't have this "wokeness" of which you are completely dogmatically obsessed about either. It swings both ways.

We have enough issues of our own to worry about, without transplanting American culture wars into the UK.
    lol. I’m ‘dogmatically obsessed’ with Wokeness. Ok. Whatever.

You and others keep telling me it’s trivial, not an issue, just new ways of being polite. Yada yaddddda. Well here it is winning a dramatic and important election, and crippling a U.S. president. Wokeness is not trivial, it is huge

On your other point I tend to agree. The UK is not so deeply sunk in the Culture War as America, but we are certainly heading in the same direction. See our endless pointless ranting arguments about statue-toppling and trans rights. We do not have the poisoned racial debate of America, thank God, but in other ways we are even worse than them (the trans-TERF war is nastier in Britain)

Ironically the best way for Britain to avoid America’s fate is for us to keep electing moderate Tories, who will stand firm against the wilder lunacies

"Moderate" Tory MPs are about to end independent oversight of their colleagues' behaviour, are set to back plans to make it harder to vote in elections, support making public protest illegal and believe the government should be beyond judicial scrutiny. But at least we get to protect statues of people who made fortunes from slavery. Phew!

This is what I find crazy. Yes, "wokeism" is illiberal and there are a handful of unfair firings from academia. But such a mentality is clearly nowhere near taking control of the main left wing party. Meanwhile the Republicans incited an attack on the US seat of government, actively fought efforts to deal with a pandemic that has killed half a million Americans, are electing conspiracy theorists to control elections. Yet it's the left that are the main problem? It is bonkers.
    Well put. And when only 41% of Republican voters believe that the votes are actually counted correctly when it is their party who is responsible for most voter suppression and undermining the system you have a society that is just fragmenting before our eyes. It is a warning to us all.
    Voter Suppression, or stopping cheating. I agree with Farage totally on the dangers of mass postal voting. If you want it to be your vote should be between you and the ballot box. When I was younger I would have had little choice but vote Labour with the postal vote. I never have.

Postal vote should be absentee and for the properly disabled only.
    Which is demonstrable nonsense.
    Colorado, for instance, has had 100% postal voting since 2013, and it works fine.
    Ok:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/20/politics/paterson-new-jersey-city-council-voter-fraud/index.html
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Tory whips have imposed a three-line whip on the Leadsom amendment, which has been selected for vote this afternoon.
    https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1455872387887546376

Wow. So this is no longer a parliamentary issue - saving Paterson is now literally government policy.
    I am wondering if saving the Guardian by having their click count go through the roof is also government policy. After all, if it did not exist the Tories would need to invent it.
    Don't shoot the messenger - some things are right and wrong.

We have an independent standards commissioner explicitly to stop this kind of thing from happening. Patterson has been tried, judged and his conviction upheld. So the Tories want to overturn the entire system as it isn't right that one of theirs gets caught.
    It is disgraceful. Johnson's Tories are really plumbing the depths that are proportionate to their leader's amoral view of life.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Mortimer said:

Totally off topic, but I've just seen the Wimbledon Park fireworks are fully booked and I'm trying to organise a date around them.

Any tips on decent viewpoints outside of the main area? Pubs, Restos etc? I'm thinking of booking somewhere to stay in Wimbledon Village - but I'm too far away to survey the geography.....

Pre-pandemic I was in Wimbledon regularly for work and
    Light on the Common was my favourite restaurant. Google suggests that it has survived.

I did walk around the Park a few times, but I don't remember confidently how the slope was oriented. I think that if you are walking along Home Park Road towards Wimbledon Village, alongside the golf course, you are walking up hill and so would have a view of the Park between the houses, but someone else may know for sure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

When did Cameron’s aide, Steve Hilton, become an ardent anti-Woke campaigner?

Curious

‘Virginia we are all with you today!

Fight back against racist woke indoctrination in schools...the arrogance and failure of Democrat one party rule...the cruel and counter-productive lockdowns and school closures

Go Virginia, lead the way ✊’

https://twitter.com/stevehiltonx/status/1455540861484224512?s=21

Probably around the same time he became a fawning Trump cheerleader on Fox News? 2016?
    Did he really come out for Trump?! Eek. Disappointing

I’ve always quite liked him. A free thinker. But Trump? Pff
    Never trust a man who takes his shoes off at work.*

* rent boys get a free pass.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    More data issues with Scotland's covid numbers: 3,495 but there was a backlog from yesterday.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Leon said:

Curious

Fight back against racist woke indoctrination in schools...the arrogance and failure of Democrat one party rule...the cruel and counter-productive lockdowns and school closures

When he realised it was raising billions of dollars in donations to indirectly fund the lifestyle of political aides?
    Hilton went funny a while ago. How you go from Big Society to MAGA, I really don't know. Could be, as you say, that he's in it for the bucks and clicks now. Lots of MAGA types are.

MAGA = Money, Attention, Grift, A ...

Damn, can't get a good 2nd word starting with 'A' to make that work.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

When he realised it was raising billions of dollars in donations to indirectly fund the lifestyle of political aides?
    Hilton went funny a while ago. How you go from Big Society to MAGA, I really don't know. Could be, as you say, that he's in it for the bucks and clicks now. Lots of MAGA types are.

Attitude?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

Could be something in that, yes. Mind you, with the Patterson scandal, Angela's "tory scum" isn't looking quite as wild-eyed as it did. Will she retract that apology?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Attitude?
    Anger (they are all pissed off, all of the time, about something or someone)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Money, Access, Grift, Attention
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anyone who thinks Woke ‘isn’t an issue’ in the UK should watch this. From this morning

‘How awful this was to listen to. Students are possessed with Salem-style levels of hysteria. Where are the ones who say "hang on, guys, this is just wrong?" What a cowardly country. Shameful.’

There are nutters on both extremes of woke and anti woke, so sure it is an issue. Just a very minor one in the big scheme of things compared to the economy, environment, healthcare, international co-operation, housing, policing etc.
    It’s not minor.

I have tipped him up consistently since Jan 2021 and will win a fair amount if he does, although very much hope he loses.
    I dread the idea of a 2nd Trump presidency. He’s a dangerous maniac who could cancel American democracy

Luckily, American voters sense this. They really don’t want to vote for him. My fear is that the Democrats will lurch ever further to the Left, double down on Wokery, and then in despair US voters will see Trump as the lesser of two evils
    Don't you think there is disproportionately more US moral panic directed at wokery than the frequently much crazier shenanigans of the American Christian right? Creationism, QAnon, Birtherism, you name it. Things that have direct consequences for politics. They seem to be shrugged off as a few crazies whilst the goings on of the crazies on the far left are expected to poison the entire Democrat party.
    Fair points. I think the disparity is because Woke (I’m still waiting for an alternative word) is an elite project exported from academe and handed down from top politicians, and is now infesting all levels of business, education, law, the arts, media, even science. It is an imposed ideology, and a revolutionary one

QAnon and the rest are perennial pitchfork insurrections, they are not new, nor are they as menacing to many, even if the theories have got crazier

January 6 WAS new. And very scary - to me. But I remind PB-ers that the Trumpites at the Capitol were only trying to do at speed what Remoaners tried to do for 2 years. Get a legal national vote overturned. Cancel democracy
    The fact that you can compare 6 Jan to Remainers says everything about your biased view.

Also if you mean by Remoaners Rejoiners why not say so. Just cos this is your definition of the word it isn't everybody's, so it just confuses your message and just looks like an insult. I only know what you mean because of a previous exchange with you.
    The similarity is that both were trying to use a mechanism other than the ballot box to overturn a democratic vote. If you can't see that then more fool you and it confirms my existing view of your true allegiance not being to this country and its people.
    Max again you are reading stuff into stuff I didn't post. I commented on making the comparison between 6 Jan and the actions of Remainers. No sane person can claim they are comparable regardless of the rights and wrongs as several have pointed out. You did the same the other day reading stuff into what I didn't post. You even commented on my views on the NI agreement which I have not even mentioned. Again I ask are you mixing me up with someone else?

Re my true allegiance not being to this country again I don't know where you get that from (you may of seen earlier I criticized Spain in a dispute with the UK). As a default I support England and GB. That is primarily at sporting events. However I judge people on what they do and say regardless of nationality. I find it odd anyone would do differently because of their nationality.
    Believe me the French are good at it too. I think we share an exceptionalism - made worse by the fact we've not travelled much recently - which is both positive and negative. People seem to be given to believe either that Britain (or the republique) is the greatest country in the world, or uniquely bad and incompetent. Few people seem comfortable with the idea that we could be remotely normal. Good at some things, bad or middling at others.
    In every country you will find some who subscribe to "my country, right or wrong" and others who frequently despair of some aspect or other of their country's history or current behaviour. The mistake people make is to think that the first group love their country more than the second.
    For me the acid test of British patriotism is this: do you get uncontrollably wound up by New York Times articles about the UK? By that score I am a proud British patriot.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I return to the UK for two weeks on 14 November to see OGH, my family and friends.

This means I shall be traveling through Heathrow. I know some of you (@Leon) have braved international travel of late, and I would appreciate any advice.

Will you be carrying large quantities of artisan sex toys?
    I’m sure we can all advise on where at least one can be carried.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Seeing as it is stateside, asshole?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    Shocking point made by Leader of the House that many of the Committee members who dismissed Paterson's concerns over the report were not even present when Paterson gave his evidence to the Committee.

That is truly shocking.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bullseye Trafalgar

2021 VA Gov race Final Result
    (R) Youngkin 50.7% (+2.3)
    (D) McAuliffe 48.5%

VA Gov Most Accurate Pollsters
    1. Trafalgar (R), Nov 1 Poll
    Youngkin +2.3% . No error
    2. Insider Advantage (R) Nov 1
    Youngkin +2 (D+0.3 error)
    3. @Peoples_Pundit Nov 1
    Youngkin +3 (R+0.7 error)

https://twitter.com/pollsandodds/status/1455890280167653380?s=21

They guess well sometimes, don't they?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Curious

Probably around the same time he became a fawning Trump cheerleader on Fox News? 2016?
    Did he really come out for Trump?! Eek. Disappointing

I’ve always quite liked him. A free thinker. But Trump? Pff
    Never trust a man who takes his shoes off at work.*

* rent boys get a free pass.
    There have been a couple of MPs who perhaps would have been better off not trusting rent boys lol!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Ass?
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s not minor.

For me the acid test of British patriotism is this: do you get uncontrollably wound up by New York Times articles about the UK? By that score I am a proud British patriot.
    There is one word that brings out my British patriotism: France!
  • Options
    When it comes to immigration over the last 10 years, Britons think it has been...

Too high: 50%
    About right: 25%
    Too low: 10%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1455878857710505994?s=20

Despite this, Britons tend to not oppose bringing in more migrants to the UK to fill job shortages

Support - 45%
    Oppose - 28%
    Neither - 20%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1455878862735282181?s=20
  • Options

Shocking point made by Leader of the House that many of the Committee members who dismissed Paterson's concerns over the report were not even present when Paterson gave his evidence to the Committee.

That is truly shocking.

Presumably minutes were taken which they could read.
  • Options

That is truly shocking.

Presumably minutes were taken which they could read.
    Would you take the same attitude with juries?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    New Jersey Democratic State Senate President Steve Sweeney currently trailing the Republican candidate in his seat, a truck driver who spent just $153 on his campaign

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455905952234983426?s=20
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Leon said:

Proximately it strongly suggests swinging Republican gains in 2022, rendering Biden a lame duck who will do very little, making it easier for the GOP to retake the White House in 2024

Ultimately, it is much bigger than that. It is the first time a shrewd right winger has cleverly weaponised Wokeness as a stick to thwack the Left, and boy, it works. Voters loathe this race and gender bullshit

I see almost no reason why the Republicans can’t repeat this across America, and the Counter-Reformation could spread to Canada, Oz, and the UK.

I say ‘almost’ because Trump, of course. He is the one confounding factor. Republicans need him to disappear, even as they maintain their grip on his base. If they can do that, they could dominate elections for a decade, because the American Left is not getting any less insane, any time soon

Virginia also neatly answers that persistent question. “What is Wokeness?”. Wokeness is what lost the Virginia election for the Left

Except that "wokeness" as is happening in America like many such culture wars just doesn't apply in the UK.

Last year some responded to the Black Lives Matter movement by saying "OK fair enough to protest American police violence but we don't have that issue in this country" which is right. We equally don't have this "wokeness" of which you are completely dogmatically obsessed about either. It swings both ways.

We have enough issues of our own to worry about, without transplanting American culture wars into the UK.
    We don’t have wokeness in the UK

In fact we have so little wokeness that I chose to disrupt my daughters education by changing schools because of the lack of any wokeness
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

Could be something in that, yes. Mind you, with the Patterson scandal, Angela's "tory scum" isn't looking quite as wild-eyed as it did. Will she retract that apology?
    One of the many interesting psychoses in politics is that of psychological projection. When Rayner calls Tories "scum" it reminds me of when Malcolmg accuses another poster of being "thick as mince".
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Charles said:

Leon said:

In fact we have so little wokeness that I chose to disrupt my daughters education by changing schools because of the lack of any wokeness
    Wasn't she at an American school?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Tory whips have imposed a three-line whip on the Leadsom amendment, which has been selected for vote this afternoon.

Wow. So this is no longer a parliamentary issue - saving Paterson is now literally government policy.
    I am wondering if saving the Guardian by having their click count go through the roof is also government policy. After all, if it did not exist the Tories would need to invent it.

We have an independent standards commissioner explicitly to stop this kind of thing from happening. Patterson has been tried, judged and his conviction upheld. So the Tories want to overturn the entire system as it isn't right that one of theirs gets caught.
    It is disgraceful. Johnson's Tories are really plumbing the depths that are proportionate to their leader's amoral view of life.
    They are certainly heading that way. Suggesting they've collectively dug so low is, at the moment, perhaps overstating the case?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s not minor.

Yes, I remember you taking issue with one of my NY predictions - the one that said Donald Trump will quickly fade way as a political player. I certainly got that wrong.

Could he blackmail the Reps to get the nomination, I wonder? "It's me or I run as independent MAGA" type thing?
    Trump to Republicans is the equivalent of Jesus to Christianity, he has no need to blackmail them, they will beg him to run and pay him billions to do so.
    Why will they want him to run when they know their best chance of winning is with someone else? I don't see it myself. He's 2.5 for the nomination so the betting has it more likely than not that he isn't the GOP candidate. The betting also has it at 27 that he wins the WH for a brand new MAGA party - which is the threat I'm referring to. The dream scenario is he does that and splits the vote and the Dems - with a great not Joe candidate - win easily. An unlikely dream scenario of course but dream scenarios are always unlikely. It's all very fascinating. If we can't make money off all of this we need shooting.
    "they know their best chance of winning is with someone else" - they bet tens of millions of pounds, often six figure life savings on Trump having won the 2020 election even after he lost it, they still believe he won today. You think they really believe anyone else has a better chance? Even if they did Trump would simply brand any such person a RINO traitor and they will be done.
    By "they" I mean the calculating party brass not the crazy foot soldiers. I think they'll want a candidate who appeals (enough) to the base but isn't Trump. How they're going to engineer this I can't tell you but it's such an imperative that I think they'll manage it. The WH is a massive prize, the biggest in politics, so I also expect some very ruthless machinations from other players. Just don't buy this "Trump'll walk the nomination" idea. It feels wrong to me. That said, I'm far more confident on my short of him for the presidency than for the nomination.
    I'm surprised that anyone paying attention to US politics for the last several years can still think that the party brass in the GOP are able or willing to prevail against Trump.

They failed in 2016. After Jan 6 there were signs that the shock had changed the situation. Some of us on here even speculated that McConnell might recommend GOP Senators vote for conviction, ruling Trump out of 2024 there and then.

But McCarthy, McConnell and other "party brass" soon came into line behind Trump and defenestrated Liz Cheney who did not.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Attitude?
    Avarice, clearly

With arrogance the runner up
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    HYUFD said:

New Jersey Democratic State Senate President Steve Sweeney currently trailing the Republican candidate in his seat, a truck driver who spent just $153 on his campaign

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455905952234983426?s=20

The tweet below that shows both the Dems problem and especially that of Labour. The things Dems and Labour focus on are things that put a lot of working class people off..

KatyCourt
    @nyckatyc

D's never get that Blue collar workers do NOT want to embrace Progressive "shit". Till D's get that the losses will mount up. They want job opportunities, don't want to hear "free stuff" which R's have successfully equated with dreaded Socialism.
  • Options
    What could possibly go wrong?

Twelve trans prisoners convicted of violence or sexual crimes have been accommodated in Scottish women’s jails within the past 18 months, according to figures released under Freedom of Information laws.

A long-awaited review by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) into Scotland’s transgender prison policy will consider ending the rare practice of transitioning male inmates demanding a move to female housing.

Only one of the prisoners had completed transition and the other 11 were self-identifying as female, it has emerged.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-sex-offenders-are-moved-into-womens-jails-wmfb9k5n0
  • Options
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Don't tell @Leon that. He is trying to make a living about it by pretending that the average man in the street is very concerned, or was it a man in a pub? It is a bit like his previous obsession; aliens under the beds. Perhaps he will write a novel about how woke trans-lizard people are surreptitiously taking over the world through infiltration of the English lexicon.
  • Options

Charles said:

Leon said:

Don't tell @Leon that. He is trying to make a living about it by pretending that the average man in the street is very concerned, or was it a man in a pub? It is a bit like his previous obsession; aliens under the beds. Perhaps he will write a novel about how woke trans-lizard people are surreptitiously taking over the world through infiltration of the English lexicon.
    Charles is being sarcastic, you dolt
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    MaxPB said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s not minor.

Just out of interest @MaxPB if you and I were North Korean would you support them regardless and consider me not to be aligned with my country and people because I didn't support everything they did?
    I think on DPRK we'd both support whatever the commisar tells us to. What I find tough to accept is that we have a choice, and you consistently choose to take the opposing side to your country because you're unable to accept a democratic decision that went against you. You want this nation to fail economically and to be humiliated by Macron and others because it proves you right about Brexit. That's the side you're on, whether or not you want to admit it.
    Now this is where I am confused and keep thinking you have me mixed up with someone else:

a) l accept the Brexit vote. I am not a rejoiner. Although I think leaving was a mistake I want it to work. Where on earth did you get the ideas you have about me from? When have I ever said anything different?

b) I do not support the French fisherman. I was simply pointing out that people were jumping to conclusions without the facts. I repeatedly said so. I also repeatedly said they might be trying it on. My main point was people jumping to conclusions here without the details, which they have.

I really struggling to understand your view of me. It does not seem objective at all. As I keep asking are you sure you haven't got me mixed up with someone else because this is really weird.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Selebian said:

On Stock, I have to say that I'd be reluctant to send* my children to Sussex (if they were at that point - there's another 15+ years for them to turn it around) given recent events.

*not that it would be up to me, of course, but if they asked my opinion I'd be more negative

Their reputation as a bastion of free thought or intellectual curiosity has been completely and utterly trashed. I would like to think that the University would appreciate that and apply appropriate sanctions on the students responsible. But I doubt it. It was telling how little support she seems to have received.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Have to say the whole Dem vote stealing operation seems to have misfired. After magnificently stealing a bunch of elections in GOP run states last year they've failed to steal a bunch of elections in Dem run states this week.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Charles is being sarcastic, you dolt
    I was hardly being serious, you dolt! Nice amusing article in the Spectator btw. I didn't realise they published the hyperbolic ramblings of wannabe Dan Browns. They must be short of serious writers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I think in fairness I have been pretty clear about that.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I've had enough of this.

If there was an election tomorrow, I'd be switching from Lib Dem to SNP. That's who can best hurt the Conservatives where I am. I can't see myself ever voting Conservative again. This rabble need to be out of power, and I'm happy to vote way down my list of preferences to help make that happen. Right now it's taking a lot of restraint not to be all Angela Rayner about them.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I've had enough of this.

If there was an election tomorrow, I'd be switching from Lib Dem to SNP. That's who can best hurt the Conservatives where I am. I can't see myself ever voting Conservative again. This rabble need to be out of power, and I'm happy to vote way down my list of preferences to help make that happen. Right now it's taking a lot of restraint not to be all Angela Rayner about them.

We can see that he's dancing about naked, making a complete tit of both himself and our country.

We just have to continue believing that one day, most people will come to the same view. As many Americans did during the Trump years.
  • Options

Twelve trans prisoners convicted of violence or sexual crimes have been accommodated in Scottish women’s jails within the past 18 months, according to figures released under Freedom of Information laws.

A long-awaited review by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) into Scotland’s transgender prison policy will consider ending the rare practice of transitioning male inmates demanding a move to female housing.

Only one of the prisoners had completed transition and the other 11 were self-identifying as female, it has emerged.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-sex-offenders-are-moved-into-womens-jails-wmfb9k5n0

This is allegedly a letter from an Edinburgh school to all its parents

"My son is 5 and just got this from the school!
    Let kids be kids ffs this feels like something Derek Mackay dreamt up!
    #letkidsbekids #LeaveOurChildrenalone"

https://twitter.com/British_Megan/status/1455842315432599554?s=20

She offers no proof so it could easily be a hoax. However she does add some context for plausibility, and one of the replies is from another parent claiming they got the same letter....
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Looking at the opinion polls, the New Jersey result is more of a surprise than the Virginia one. Nearly all of them had the Democrats ahead by quite large margin in NJ.

HY hasn’t read the stats right. The Dems will win in NJ; I haven’t looked at the betting sites, but if there are odds on it, back them.
    Even if the Dems do scrape home in NJ it will likely be by less than 1%, a huge 8% swing to the GOP since the 16% Biden won NJ by in 2020. It would be even bigger than the 6% swing to the GOP in Virginia since 2020 last night which saw the GOP win the Virginia governorship and House of Delegates
    Democrats now ahead in NJ by about 1400 votes but last batch of votes slightly swung back to the GOP. Will be extremely tight.
    Where are you getting this? The MSM seem to have got bored and are no longer updating.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    DavidL said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Looking at the opinion polls, the New Jersey result is more of a surprise than the Virginia one. Nearly all of them had the Democrats ahead by quite large margin in NJ.

HY hasn’t read the stats right. The Dems will win in NJ; I haven’t looked at the betting sites, but if there are odds on it, back them.
    Even if the Dems do scrape home in NJ it will likely be by less than 1%, a huge 8% swing to the GOP since the 16% Biden won NJ by in 2020. It would be even bigger than the 6% swing to the GOP in Virginia since 2020 last night which saw the GOP win the Virginia governorship and House of Delegates
    Democrats now ahead in NJ by about 1400 votes but last batch of votes slightly swung back to the GOP. Will be extremely tight.
    Where are you getting this? The MSM seem to have got bored and are no longer updating.
    On BFE the Dem is currently 1.01 and the Rep is at 8.0

I think that tells you that what I said early this morning was accurate and, as is often the case, what we had from Mr HY turns out to be BS.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s not minor.

Yes, I remember you taking issue with one of my NY predictions - the one that said Donald Trump will quickly fade way as a political player. I certainly got that wrong.

Could he blackmail the Reps to get the nomination, I wonder? "It's me or I run as independent MAGA" type thing?
    Trump to Republicans is the equivalent of Jesus to Christianity, he has no need to blackmail them, they will beg him to run and pay him billions to do so.
    Why will they want him to run when they know their best chance of winning is with someone else? I don't see it myself. He's 2.5 for the nomination so the betting has it more likely than not that he isn't the GOP candidate. The betting also has it at 27 that he wins the WH for a brand new MAGA party - which is the threat I'm referring to. The dream scenario is he does that and splits the vote and the Dems - with a great not Joe candidate - win easily. An unlikely dream scenario of course but dream scenarios are always unlikely. It's all very fascinating. If we can't make money off all of this we need shooting.
    "they know their best chance of winning is with someone else" - they bet tens of millions of pounds, often six figure life savings on Trump having won the 2020 election even after he lost it, they still believe he won today. You think they really believe anyone else has a better chance? Even if they did Trump would simply brand any such person a RINO traitor and they will be done.
    By "they" I mean the calculating party brass not the crazy foot soldiers. I think they'll want a candidate who appeals (enough) to the base but isn't Trump. How they're going to engineer this I can't tell you but it's such an imperative that I think they'll manage it. The WH is a massive prize, the biggest in politics, so I also expect some very ruthless machinations from other players. Just don't buy this "Trump'll walk the nomination" idea. It feels wrong to me. That said, I'm far more confident on my short of him for the presidency than for the nomination.
    The one market I opposed Trump on was the popular vote winner. I have even accepted a loss on that now as think I will be able to lay much shorter later on.
    The PV? You are safe as houses there. If you lose that bet we really will have to look for another planet.
  • Options
    "I can't see myself ever voting Conservative again."

Started early. Didn't think it was the season for it.
  • Options
    O/T The Scottish Tories just might have found a bit of talent here:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1455564097664192518
  • Options

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If I had the time (which I do) and the inclination (which I sort of do) and the tech nous (which I definitely don't) I could copy into here a stream of examples every single day of braindead bigoted shit from people on the other side - your side - of this fractious divide.
    I dare say you could @kinabalu but that wouldn't make this right or acceptable.
    No, but my point is we get a prolific splattering of these individual examples of extreme wokery onto the site - from fruity leon in particular but also from several others - but we don't get anybody bothering to do the opposite and believe me somebody could. Every day, half a dozen lurid examples of "antiwoke" activism showing how it drips in racism, misogyny, and just general numbskull stupidity. Then for each example, various lefty posters chipping in to agree how awful it is. Net effect? You'd read a thread and it'd look like the country is a veritable cesspit of hard right sentiment and attitudes. Oh god, Tommy Robinsonism is taking over! Etc. As it is, we're highly slanted. This is what I'm saying.
    Anyone who wants a mild dose of this can follow Sadiq Khan on FB and see what kind of comments he gets under every post, usually from some old dude with a union jack background to their thumbnail. There are assorted idiots on all sides, and social media has given them a platform they lacked before.
    (FWIW I think what happened at Sussex is a disgrace, there are idiots on all sides like I said).
    Just what is it about our centrist careerist rather dull and uninspiring Muslim Mayor of London that gets so many goats? :smile:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Dame Andrea Leadsom is following in a great British tradition - in the footsteps of Dame Flora Robson, Dame Judith Anderson and Dame Christopher Biggins.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

You have a strange definition of scum! Murderers, child molesters and terrorists seem to deserve. Someone who writes a lot of letters certainly isn't. You could call him a number of other things - fraud, liar, hypocrite would all be in the realms of related to the offence.

The recall element seems to have driven an outcome here that a compassionate committee may have accepted. If his Wife committing suicide had anything to do with the accusations then any suspension is dwarfed by his personal loss

I do think the comparisons made to the 90s are misplaced though - the key thing on the ninetie was that Major was driving his moralistic back to basics campaign whilst his MPs were having affairs, indulging in interesting sexual practices and committing fraud. I will eat my hat if Boris starts a similar campaign!!!!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Dame Andrea Leadsom is following in a great British tradition - in the footsteps of Dame Flora Robson, Dame Judith Anderson and Dame Christopher Biggins.

There's nothing like a Dame.
    Nothing in this world.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Chris said:

With the difference, of course, that the others didn't discover antibiotics, pioneer space flight or win a Nobel Prize for Economics.
  • Options

Blimey, these are going to be fun rape cases to prosecute. The presumption of innocence normally requires you to avoid mentioning a previous conviction but here the complainers, the accused and any witnesses are all going to have them.
  • Options
    Meanwhile...

Tory MP @AaronBell4NUL
    speaks out against govt Standards reform says he cannot support it.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1455915035117686793?s=20
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    DavidL said:

Blimey, these are going to be fun rape cases to prosecute. The presumption of innocence normally requires you to avoid mentioning a previous conviction but here the complainers, the accused and any witnesses are all going to have them.
    All the prison officers? And surely that's a bit previous re the remand prisoners.
  • Options
    Leon said:

She offers no proof so it could easily be a hoax. However she does add some context for plausibility, and one of the replies is from another parent claiming they got the same letter....
    I’m not sure why British_Megan is reluctant to apply the disinfectant of sunlight to the identity of the school, though she certainly seems to have got peoples’ danders up which is probably mission accomplished.

Apropos of nothing, astounding the number of UJs in the profiles of replies to that tweet.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It will be interesting to see how many Tory MPs are principled enough to defy the whip. They all should, of course, but I doubt many will.

I hope that the Parliamentary Commissioner, Kathryn Stone, resigns if the amendment is passed. The amendment is basically questioning her honesty and integrity, although of course it's not being sold like that. The lay members of the Committee for Standards may also resign, as should the MPs on it.

Of course this won't have any resonance with the public, who don't care about such matters at the moment. But it's good to see that some honourable Tories on here recognise how much this all stinks.
    Loss of outrage over outrageousness is one of the worst developments we have going imo. Eg, those policeman who shared the dead bodies photos with colleagues, that's bad enough but the really telling thing is they felt comfortable doing it. No big deal. This is how cultures erode and standards go down the pan. Loss of outrage and diminished expectations. Trump's antics. Johnson's casual lying and insouciance. Dumbed down discourse. The slide to brittle chippy nationalism. Politicians in the governing party blatantly on the make. All of this is where I see "The Enlightenment" being rolled back, if I was to go in for such talk, which I don't, since I'd feel a bit silly putting it like that. So, yes, it's great that some Con inclined posters on PB aren't defending the indefensible here, on Patterson, I totally agree with you there. If the tables were turned and I were to defend a Lab MP in similar circumstances, people have permission to shoot me.
    Surely some of the slide started under New Labour. I will stand corrected if not true but it seemed to me that that was when a ministerial resignation became optional rather than obligatory - mainly because those in the Labour party think they are better than everyone else and therefore their intentions must have been good. Unfortunately that has opened the door to Tories hanging on after scandals which should have left their careers dead and buried.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’m not sure why British_Megan is reluctant to apply the disinfectant of sunlight to the identity of the school, though she certainly seems to have got peoples’ danders up which is probably mission accomplished.

Apropos of nothing, astounding the number of UJs in the profiles of replies to that tweet.
    Yes, I am suspicious too. However her rationale: she does not want to embarrass the kids - including her own - seems reasonable

Geo Galloway of that Ilk has lustily retweeted it
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    DavidL said:

Selebian said:

On Stock, I have to say that I'd be reluctant to send* my children to Sussex (if they were at that point - there's another 15+ years for them to turn it around) given recent events.

*not that it would be up to me, of course, but if they asked my opinion I'd be more negative

Their reputation as a bastion of free thought or intellectual curiosity has been completely and utterly trashed. I would like to think that the University would appreciate that and apply appropriate sanctions on the students responsible. But I doubt it. It was telling how little support she seems to have received.
    Interesting also that the UCU don't seem to have been campaigning on this.* May be that she wasn't a member of course, but even so they should have been on it on the principle.

*I'm not a member, so they may have done things that I missed
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Former member of this parish...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

I don't suppose anyone, least of all Boris, cares that a gigawatt is a unit of power, not energy.
    See? Our dumbed down political discourse. I was just making this point.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

Interesting also that the UCU don't seem to have been campaigning on this.* May be that she wasn't a member of course, but even so they should have been on it on the principle.

The local UCU reps threw Stock under the bus.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

All the prison officers? And surely that's a bit previous re the remand prisoners.
    In fairness many of the prison officers will not have been convicted 😉

I think these are more likely to be serving prisoners. Remand prisoners tend to be kept separately and mix less with other prisoners. At one time there was a wing in a female prison for prisoners like this but I am not sure if that is still in operation. It may also not be big enough.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Meanwhile...

Tory MP @AaronBell4NUL
    speaks out against govt Standards reform says he cannot support it.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1455915035117686793?s=20

He'll be back here posting soon, then.
    Which will be nice.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Blair and Campbell were able to firmly pin sleaze to the incumbent Tory government.

Will Starmer or Davey be able to do the same?

Should be really really simple with this lot of chancers. Be like shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, I am suspicious too. However her rationale: she does not want to embarrass the kids - including her own - seems reasonable

Don't. I have an image of him purring as he did.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Chris said:

Oh no she isn't...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Blair and Campbell were able to firmly pin sleaze to the incumbent Tory government.

Will Starmer or Davey be able to do the same?

Should be really really simple with this lot of chancers. Be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    It was almost as if Campbell could magic up the right bit of sleaze on demand and make it appear on whichever front pages he wanted.

Almost.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Curious

Money, Access, Grift, Attention
    Yes! The Money (for) Access Grift (&) Attention movement. That's pretty good.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

One of the many interesting psychoses in politics is that of psychological projection. When Rayner calls Tories "scum" it reminds me of when Malcolmg accuses another poster of being "thick as mince".
    F off scumbag, back under your rock you cretinous imbecile. Dribble about some one who cares.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Got an email from Labour party -> apparently data incident at a third party who handles their data. What does that mean in practice? No idea. They are investigating.

If you see pro-Boris posts on this account, please assume I've been hacked!
  • Options
    Chris Bryant speaking very well

I am extremely uncomfortable with this

Paterson should serve his suspension, no ifs, no buts
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

I don't suppose anyone, least of all Boris, cares that a gigawatt is a unit of power, not energy.
    See? Our dumbed down political discourse. I was just making this point.
    Even so, it's a serious charge given the ignorance which it displays.
  • Options

Leon said:

Does sound like it could be an SNP inspired policy, they are run by the type of halfwits that suggest these things.
  • Options

That is truly shocking.

I assume they have since read the transcript and cross-referenced it against the reams of evidence that Patterson was breaking the rules?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Got an email from Labour party -> apparently data incident at a third party who handles their data. What does that mean in practice? No idea. They are investigating.

If you see pro-Boris posts on this account, please assume I've been hacked!

http://news.sky.com/story/labour-party-supporters-details-affected-by-cyber-security-breach-12458935
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I was expecting a goat or a donkey picture David.
  • Options
    eek said:

dr_spyn said:
    He surely can't be visiting PB nowadays though. No one who's seen Philip Thompson's musings on the matter could possibly perceive the government's actions as being anything other than wholesome, justifiable and good.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    edited November 2021
    Andy_JS said:

MPs may be feeling sympathetic towards Owen Paterson because of the fairly recent tragedy of his wife's death.

When this tragedy was used as a defence for Mr Paterson on here last week I gave the example of a former colleague of mine whose wife walked in front of a Paddington to Swansea train after he confessed to police that he had been sexually abusing a very young family member. His wife's suicide formed no part of his defence, and although referenced, I don't believe it was taken into account as mitigation during sentencing. In some respects perhaps it should work against the defendant, as in my colleague's case his wrongdoing led directly to his wife's suicide. If he had behaved himself she might not have felt such drastic action was necessary.

The offences are not comparable, but then neither are the penalties. In both cases a tragic suicide as a mitigation or a defence is irrelevant.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

You have, its just the Guardian reference is a slippery slope to judging news by the source which too many people already do.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't. I have an image of him purring as he did.
    I get Dr Seuss myself.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris v Angela at PMQs

F off scumbag, back under your rock you cretinous imbecile. Dribble about some one who cares.
    See MalcolmG is having one of his better days.
  • Options

Well they have a man running Rape Crisis despite it being a protected job so hardly unusual in Scotland nowadays.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It will be interesting to see how many Tory MPs are principled enough to defy the whip. They all should, of course, but I doubt many will.

I hope that the Parliamentary Commissioner, Kathryn Stone, resigns if the amendment is passed. The amendment is basically questioning her honesty and integrity, although of course it's not being sold like that. The lay members of the Committee for Standards may also resign, as should the MPs on it.

Of course this won't have any resonance with the public, who don't care about such matters at the moment. But it's good to see that some honourable Tories on here recognise how much this all stinks.
    Loss of outrage over outrageousness is one of the worst developments we have going imo. Eg, those policeman who shared the dead bodies photos with colleagues, that's bad enough but the really telling thing is they felt comfortable doing it. No big deal. This is how cultures erode and standards go down the pan. Loss of outrage and diminished expectations. Trump's antics. Johnson's casual lying and insouciance. Dumbed down discourse. The slide to brittle chippy nationalism. Politicians in the governing party blatantly on the make. All of this is where I see "The Enlightenment" being rolled back, if I was to go in for such talk, which I don't, since I'd feel a bit silly putting it like that. So, yes, it's great that some Con inclined posters on PB aren't defending the indefensible here, on Patterson, I totally agree with you there. If the tables were turned and I were to defend a Lab MP in similar circumstances, people have permission to shoot me.
    Surely some of the slide started under New Labour. I will stand corrected if not true but it seemed to me that that was when a ministerial resignation became optional rather than obligatory - mainly because those in the Labour party think they are better than everyone else and therefore their intentions must have been good. Unfortunately that has opened the door to Tories hanging on after scandals which should have left their careers dead and buried.
    NL weren't paragons but I'm not really seeing that audit trial. For me, things have taken a step jump (or fall rather) with these guys. And I genuinely don't think I've succumbed to bias there. Eg I didn't detect anything like this degree of turpitude in the Tory administrations of recent times. My conclusion? It's Johnson. Fish, rot, head.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

You have, its just the Guardian reference is a slippery slope to judging news by the source which too many people already do.
    It was supposed to be a joke. I will stick to the day job for now.
  • Options
    EXC: Bullying and harassment victims condemn today's proposal to overhaul standards system as "slap in the face"

One former parliamentary worker who was bullied by a senior MP said: “It’ll give license to anyone who doesn’t like an individual decision to undermine the whole system, as well as whoever is the commissioner.”

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1455897505812598791
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I was expecting a goat or a donkey picture David.
    What you got was an NHS doctor who knows of what he speaks and who speaks well. Certainly better than most in the toon cooncil.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Does sound like it could be an SNP inspired policy, they are run by the type of halfwits that suggest these things.
    Took me ten minutes. It's absolutely true. Amazing bullshit

The school is called Castlehaven, a primary in Edinburgh

Miss White
    @MissWhiteCV
    · Oct 27
    P6 have been learning about the importance of breaking down gender stereotypes. We have organised a ‘Wear a Skirt to School Day’ to raise awareness of #LaRopaNoTieneGénero campaign. This will be on Thursday 4th November and we’d love everyone to get involved! Dress @Castleview_PS

https://twitter.com/Castleview_PS/status/1453656983471538178?s=20

Their whole Twitter feed is laced with Woke gibberish
  • Options
    You know the government is trying to put through a terrible and shabby policy when Reverend Underpants looks and sounds like the voice of reason.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

Far better that boys be allowed to wear skirts and told that's okay, than encouraged to think that if they want to wear skirts it's a sign that they're "really a girl" and should be taking irreversible medical treatment.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

The local UCU reps threw Stock under the bus.
    UCU again?
  • Options

eek said:

dr_spyn said:
    He surely can't be visiting PB nowadays though. No one who's seen Philip Thompson's musings on the matter could possibly perceive the government's actions as being anything other than wholesome, justifiable and good.
    I am most unimpressed and agree with Aaron Bell

Paterson should serve his suspension
  • Options

Leon said:

What's wrong with that?

Far better that boys be allowed to wear skirts and told that's okay, than encouraged to think that if they want to wear skirts it's a sign that they're "really a girl" and should be taking irreversible medical treatment.
    They're far too young
This discussion has been closed.