Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Predict the winner and first round shares in the LAB leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,763
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Predict the winner and first round shares in the LAB leadership ELECTION in PB’s prize competition

Using the bespoke NoJam template you will need to enter vote shares down to decimal points for four contenders as well as naming the overall winner of the election. The prize will go to the person with the smallest overall error who has correctly named the winner.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    First unlike Cooper, Burnham, or Corbyn.
  • Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    I've entered twice, the first entry is obviously wrong as I misclicked the done button or hit enter, or some such...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    dr_spyn said:
    In the face of clear guidance from the EC, he will have to change the question.

He also needs to restore purdah.
  • Options

I can't see this idea of 'well-managed facilities' in Turkey or Tunisia or elsewhere for would-be asylum seekers is a runner. Why on earth would the governments of Turkey or Tunisia agree? It would be an invitation to very large numbers of migrants to head for these camps; after the Western European countries had accepted (say) 10% of them, what would happen to the other 90%? They'd become an immediate and huge problem for Turkey or Tunisia.

Australia does it.
  • Options
    JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

1/5 Remain
    7/2 Leave

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/638693490881380352
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Stephen Twigg MP has replied to my tweet and confirmed that Bob Wareing died in May.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

This is as if Liverpool St had been closed indefinitely:

Guardian news @guardiannews Migrant crisis: Hungary closes main Budapest station http://d.gu.com/C1s7Gm

NB Guardian, Budapest has three main train stations. This one is Keleti (Eastern).

Little Hungarians?
    Hungary got something like 34,000 migrants in July alone (Britain got 25,000 asylum seekers in the whole of the last year). The August figure will be close to double that. Its population is less than a sixth of Britain's. It is far poorer than Britain. The scale of problem that it is facing is an order of magnitude more challenging than anything that Britain is looking at.

And for all that, its approach to these migrants is hamfisted, counterproductive and plain mean.
    FWIW - I think the UK's asylum system is broadly under control. It's only vulnerable when people infiltrate through the tunnel/ferries, and I suspect the numbers will be much higher this year (50,000?) but, still, it's not unrestricted.

By contrast, the numbers entering places like Greece, Macedonia, Hungary and Germany are totally off the scale.

My issue is the UK's mass net immigration through legal means. I would, for example, reinstate primary purpose and end the automatic right to spousal passports - which is a huge source of immigration from the subcontinent. I'd also up the residency requirement for a British passport from 5 years to 8 years.

It also seems to me that the "student" system is widely abused too - with only a small fraction of those who gain visas returning home at the end of their "studies". The rest disappear into the ether.
    If Sweden and Germany have free-for-alls, then the UK has a vulnerability when they start getting EU passports. 30-50% of Somalis that sought asylum successfully in the Netherlands came to the UK once they got passports.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/28/british-dream-europe-african-citizens

The UK government has been silent about how we address this problem.
  • Options
    can I vote for gareth bale returning to spurs by 6pm please.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    According to Plato,Yvette cooper want's ten thousand Syrian refugees a month,I thought it was a one off.

She's mad(if true)this is what Germany proberly did under Merkel and now we have a immigration crisis with most heading to soft touch Germany.

Our political elite haven't a clue.
  • Options
    "Leave" looks like value to me.

The referendum hasn't clicked into public consciousness yet. Given that concern about immigration is now at an all time high, the EU wants us to take more, plus the fact that the standard EU response to even very modest renegotiation requests from the UK is to tell us to fuck off, I can see it being very close.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Guardian news @guardiannews Migrant crisis: Hungary closes main Budapest station http://d.gu.com/C1s7Gm

NB Guardian, Budapest has three main train stations. This one is Keleti (Eastern).

Little Hungarians?
    Hungary got something like 34,000 migrants in July alone (Britain got 25,000 asylum seekers in the whole of the last year). The August figure will be close to double that. Its population is less than a sixth of Britain's. It is far poorer than Britain. The scale of problem that it is facing is an order of magnitude more challenging than anything that Britain is looking at.

And for all that, its approach to these migrants is hamfisted, counterproductive and plain mean.
    FWIW - I think the UK's asylum system is broadly under control. It's only vulnerable when people infiltrate through the tunnel/ferries, and I suspect the numbers will be much higher this year (50,000?) but, still, it's not unrestricted.

By contrast, the numbers entering places like Greece, Macedonia, Hungary and Germany are totally off the scale.

My issue is the UK's mass net immigration through legal means. I would, for example, reinstate primary purpose and end the automatic right to spousal passports - which is a huge source of immigration from the subcontinent. I'd also up the residency requirement for a British passport from 5 years to 8 years.

It also seems to me that the "student" system is widely abused too - with only a small fraction of those who gain visas returning home at the end of their "studies". The rest disappear into the ether.
    If Sweden and Germany have free-for-alls, then the UK has a vulnerability when they start getting EU passports. 30-50% of Somalis that sought asylum successfully in the Netherlands came to the UK once they got passports.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/28/british-dream-europe-african-citizens

Of course the government is silent on this problem. It can only be solved by our leaving the EU or by the EU giving up on the idea of free movement of people. The latter is never going to happen and the former is never going to happen if Cameron and the Establishment can help it. HMG's only recourse on this issue is to say nothing and hope not too many people find out about it.
  • Options
    Another competition, hurrah – is there a way of viewing the result/average pls?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    JEO said:

I can't see this idea of 'well-managed facilities' in Turkey or Tunisia or elsewhere for would-be asylum seekers is a runner. Why on earth would the governments of Turkey or Tunisia agree? It would be an invitation to very large numbers of migrants to head for these camps; after the Western European countries had accepted (say) 10% of them, what would happen to the other 90%? They'd become an immediate and huge problem for Turkey or Tunisia.

Australia does it.
    Quite. If we turn everyone back, they will be in Turkey or in North Africa anyway. So better to have something which could work. Otherwise the only choice is either:-

(1) to put up our borders and turn everyone away, harden our hearts against even to the most desperate of cases, refuse to pick up drowning people etc; or
    (2) let everyone in, regardless of whether they're genuine refugees and regardless of the problems it will cause us and regardless of whether this is what people in European democracies want.

I think the latter is untenable. So if we can't find some interim solution involving the Arab/Muslim world taking responsibility for its own problems then it will have to be the former.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

Australia does it.
    Richard has a point surely? Tunisia and Turkey will just tell us to sod off! I am sure they don't want tens of thousands of Economic Migrants/Asylum seekers either
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    Tempted to bet tactically - better chance of winning if you're the only person correctly predicting the unlikely than one of 100 predicting the probable. But I went Corbyn 41% in the first ballot over Cooper.

To reply to Richard N and other critics of managed centres: the incentive for Turkey, Tunisia, etc. would have to be money - we would make it worth their while with substantial foreign aid both for running the camps and for building infrastructure and other development - and yes, divert foreign aid money for this and get wider public support for it. Every country has a price - if we were offered sufficient billions we'd set up some refugee camps too, and Tunisia would not expect billions. An expensive solution? Yes - but so is doing nothing. A total solution? No - however good the camps, many will try for Europe anyway. But if we're offering an alternative to "send them back to be killed" or "let them drown", it will be easier to take a tough line with illegal migrants who are caught. (And we should start by substantial aid for countries who already have lots, like Lebanon.)

But in the long run, the problem is NOT SOLUBLE, so don't waste time pointing out that each individual measure won't really solve the issue. Every solution has snags and limits. People will move where the best life is, by hook or by crook. All we can do is try to manage it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,411
    JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

Organisations that the "OUT"s wish to ban from speaking on the EU referendum are:

* The CBI (too posh)
    * The UK government (too biased)
    * Anybody from Europe (too foreign)
    * Anybody who's ever been to Europe (too common)
    * The BBC (too metropolitan elite)
    * Nigel Farage (too Farage)

Organisations that the "OUT"s wish to allow speaking on the EU referendum are:

* Anybody advocating an "out"
    * Rupert Murdoch
    * Vladimir Putin
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

According to Plato,Yvette cooper want's ten thousand Syrian refugees a month,I thought it was a one off.

She's mad(if true)this is what Germany proberly did under Merkel and now we have a immigration crisis with most heading to soft touch Germany.

Cooper is suggesting that every town, local council, whatever, takes 10 Syrian families.

Then another 10 join them no doubt, and so the craziness spirals out of control.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    I perfectly understand the compassionate desire to accept Assylum seekers into the UK. It's something that we have always done, are doing now, and I hope always will do.

A question for Yvette Cooper, though:
    Where does this wonderfully round number of 10,000 per month come from? How did you work it out Ms Cooper?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2015

Yes. They are under the "menu box" (3 horizontal bars) at the top-right of the area you put in your entry.

Alternatively, you can see it directly here:

http://show.nojam.com/a2sY/summary.php

• Options
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Little Hungarians?

Oh I quite agree. The UK government hasn't a clue what to do about it, so they will take the simplest solution: do nothing.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Cooper is suggesting that every town, local council, whatever, takes 10 Syrian families. Crazy.
    Merkel will want the UK to take at least 100,000 this year.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    What amazes me is the ease with which obvious economic migrants are swallowed as Asylum seekers... If Sadiq Khan becomes Mayor and tries to ethnically cleanse London of White people with his economic sanctions, I could move 5 mins to Thurrock to claim asylum.... but I have always aspired to a place in the Cotswolds...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Glad to see I'm in similar company!

Yes. They are under the "menu box" (3 horizontal bars) at the top-right of the area you put in your entry.

• Options
    Disraeli said:

I perfectly understand the compassionate desire to accept Assylum seekers into the UK. It's something that we have always done, are doing now, and I hope always will do.

A question for Yvette Cooper, though:
    Where does this wonderfully round number of 10,000 per month come from? How did you work it out Ms Cooper?

Her Spads were playing darts, and plucked the number out of the air.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited September 2015
    STV will be covering the Carmichael hearing live from 10.30am on 7th September:

http://theorkneyvole.com/2015/09/01/stv-to-televise-alistair-carmichael-court-hearing-live-in-uk-tv-first-scotland-news/
  • Options
    @MarkHopkins said: - many thanks Mr Hopkins.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Cooper is suggesting that every town, local council, whatever, takes 10 Syrian families. Crazy.
    A month ?

This country is already struggling with what we are taking now,look at Simon danczuk complaining about the number of asylum seekers that Rochdale are taking.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015

The main lesson so far is how over-represented the LDs are on here (they're probably most of the "Privates" too; I wouldn't want to own up either).

Pretty obvious really given how every thread descends into PB LibDems v the rest :-)
  • Options
    JEO said:

Australia does it.
    No, Australia sends people who manage to arrive by boat in Australia to offshore-processing centres. That's very different from setting up pre-processing centres in countries closer to the countries of origin, which would act as a magnet for migrants.
  • Options

Cheers Mark, and thanks for helping to organise these - they're great data in their own right, never mind the competition.
  • Options
    isam said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    Richard has a point surely? Tunisia and Turkey will just tell us to sod off! I am sure they don't want tens of thousands of Economic Migrants/Asylum seekers either
    Probably the won't but the gangs running bits of Libya might be up for some easy cash and there is a lot of Libya currently empty. Furthermore, it would seem that a lot of the "Boat peaople" are starting out from there.

So renting a few dozen square miles on the Libyan coast, surrounding it with serious razor wire guarded by EU military to keep the inhabitants safe (the Germans could do this one if they were given the day shift, even maybe the Belgians) and building a prefab city inside. What would that cost? I don't know maybe £10 billion, plus running costs of £1 billion a year? Even if it is ten times that, it will be less than the cost of dealing with the migrants once they hit EU territory.

Not only that but it would then give a facility to make naval patrols actually worth doing. Instead of acting as a ferry service the navy ships could return the migrants to a safe haven on Libyan shores.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

Organisations that the "OUT"s wish to ban from speaking on the EU referendum are:

* The CBI (too posh)
    * The UK government (too biased)
    * Anybody from Europe (too foreign)
    * Anybody who's ever been to Europe (too common)
    * The BBC (too metropolitan elite)
    * Nigel Farage (too Farage)

Organisations that the "OUT"s wish to allow speaking on the EU referendum are:

* Anybody advocating an "out"
    * Rupert Murdoch
    * Vladimir Putin
    They are not unreasonable to expect that the usual bars for taxpayer funds being spent on referendums are upheld.

To be honest your allegatiom that anyone wanting an out dislikes foreigners is rather childish.
  • Options
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Little Hungarians?

There is one way in which this could be addressed - I make no comment about whether or not it is politically viable, moral etc - and that is to remove the right of free movement for anyone who gets citizenship via asylum or for anyone who gets asylum. After all, if the point of asylum is to give you a safe place to live you have that. Why do you need more? Asylum should be seen as temporary and once the emergency is over you return home, including any family you have acquired in the interim.

Once people are citizens then the only way of dealing with it is to remove the right of free movement. That seems to be politically unviable but if citizenship is linked with free movement then it is surely incumbent (and indeed implicit in the right) that the acquisition of citizenship should have a very high bar indeed.

In reality asylum and migration seem to be turning into one and the same. This causes problems because people feel as if their heartstringss are being pulled to let in poor refugees when in reality they may be nothing of the kind and and will be here forever. Cooper was an example this morning of someone doing just that.
  • Options
    Does every Council in the UK really have ten spare habitable houses ,at least 20 new schoolplaces, enough Doctors,Translators etc.I thought the country was hanging in rags with not enough schools, doctors, thousands of homeless, thousands of food banks..at least that is what Yvette and her buddies have been screaming for the last five years.
  • Options
    People from the Commonwealth countries like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nigeria will now be able to come to Britain by arriving in Germany and claiming migrant status. Then once an EU citizen they will be able to enter Britain legally to live and work.
  • Options
    isam said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    The numbers will be far smaller if we change to this system, as you cut off the option of getting to a rich country, being rejected, and then never leaving.
  • Options
    isam said:

What amazes me is the ease with which obvious economic migrants are swallowed as Asylum seekers... If Sadiq Khan becomes Mayor and tries to ethnically cleanse London of White people with his economic sanctions, I could move 5 mins to Thurrock to claim asylum.... but I have always aspired to a place in the Cotswolds...

Orsett ?
  • Options
    So after 12 months of a cooper government,this country would have taken a extra one hundred and twenty thousand Syrian refugees,does she say if rest of the world asylum cases will be affected in numbers.

Christ,she's mad.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Orsett ?
    I'd prefer the Cotswolds
  • Options

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    No, Australia sends people who manage to arrive by boat in Australia to offshore-processing centres. That's very different from setting up pre-processing centres in countries closer to the countries of origin, which would act as a magnet for migrants.
    Well Europe has a number of offshore places which could be used: St Helena, the Falklands, South Georgia, Reunion etc.

If people want to be safe from war in Syria, Tunisia or Turkey are fine. They want to get to Europe not to be safe but to have a better life. Perfectly understandable. But these are not then refugees or asylum seekers. They are migrants and we should treat them as such.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

Stephen Twigg MP has replied to my tweet and confirmed that Bob Wareing died in May.

Oops...
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/stephen-twigg-apologises-after-mistakenly-7693284
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    Plato has misread Cooper, I think - she has said we could take in 10,000 refugees in a month to address the immediate crisis, not that we should do so every month forever. Again it's not a solution because there aren't any solutions, but it's a small contribution and would be better than merely muttering in our beards: "That won't work...no that won't work...no, that's no good..."
  • Options
  • Options

So after 12 months of a cooper government,this country would have taken a extra one hundred and twenty thousand Syrian refugees,does she say if rest of the world asylum cases will be affected in numbers.

Christ,she's mad.

Mad? Or increasingly desperate to win some extra votes in the leadership election.
  • Options

Does every Council in the UK really have ten spare habitable houses ,at least 20 new schoolplaces, enough Doctors,Translators etc.I thought the country was hanging in rags with not enough schools, doctors, thousands of homeless, thousands of food banks..at least that is what Yvette and her buddies have been screaming for the last five years.

Good point.
  • Options
    And when is over, over?

Never.

Plato has misread Cooper, I think - she has said we could take in 10,000 refugees in a month to address the immediate crisis, not that we should do so every month forever. Again it's not a solution because there aren't any solutions, but it's a small contribution and would be better than merely muttering in our beards: "That won't work...no that won't work...no, that's no good..."

• Options

Have you grown a beard over the summer, Nick? Excellent work if so.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Well Europe has a number of offshore places which could be used: St Helena, the Falklands, South Georgia, Reunion etc.

OK, fine (although it's a very different suggestion from the original proposal of camps in countries nearer the source of the migration).

But my question still remains: what then happens to the 90% (or whatever the number ends up as) who are refused entry?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

And when is over, over?

Never.

10,000 largely aggressive young men a month - a sure fire recipe for disaster as we import the ME's problems to northern Europe. Just wait until the various long held animosities and conflicts boil over here.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.

If people want to be safe from war in Syria, Tunisia or Turkey are fine. They want to get to Europe not to be safe but to have a better life. Perfectly understandable. But these are not then refugees or asylum seekers. They are migrants and we should treat them as such.
    You make a good point, Mrs Free but, crikey, what do you have against the people of the Falklands and St Helena and the seals and penguins of South Georgia? Could not we find somewhere where the arrival of thousands of people with a completely different attitude to life is a normal event? Our remaining Caribbean possessions perhaps - Turks and Caicos Islands springs to mind.
  • Options

Germany proberly did the same as cooper want's to do and now look what's happening,Germany and Europe as a immigration crisis.

Like I keep repeating,our political elite haven't a clue.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 928
    I see Liz Kendall has voted - well someone voted 100% for her!
  • Options
    I :lol: at that.
    Icarus said:

• Options

Cyclefree said:

OK, fine (although it's a very different suggestion from the original proposal of camps in countries nearer the source of the migration).

But my question still remains: what then happens to the 90% (or whatever the number ends up as) who are refused entry?
    They'll have to stay living in France I guess !
  • Options
    I'm getting to the point I wouldn't mind a military coup.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,014
    edited September 2015

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.

You make a good point, Mrs Free but, crikey, what do you have against the people of the Falklands and St Helena and the seals and penguins of South Georgia? Could not we find somewhere where the arrival of thousands of people with a completely different attitude to life is a normal event? Our remaining Caribbean possessions perhaps - Turks and Caicos Islands springs to mind.
    I'd go for NI myself.

Teetotal ,mysoginist, religious nutters with a penchant for explosives and century old grudges, they'd fit right in.

Then Jezza can hand it all over to the Republic.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

I voted for Liz, as did Hertsmere.

So she has 3 votes.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Deport them to their most likely country of origin.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    4/6 (assuming Kendall is 50/1) that one of the four candidates is leader in 5 years
  • Options
    Ha!

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.

I'd go for NI myself.

Teetotal ,mysoginist, religious nutters with a penchant for explosives and century old grudges, they'd fit right in.

• Options
    JEO said:

Deport them to their most likely country of origin.

Why would that be any easier than it is at the moment?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

We have occasional pb hysteria days. Today is one of those days. If you were to believe pb's paleo-conservatives, kippers and fellow travellers, you'd think that the barbarians were at the gate.

Meanwhile, to put things into context, here's a nice chart via Faisal Islam showing who goes where:

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam · 6m6 minutes ago
    graphic from @ReutersFlasseur on migrant crisis: UK does not register as a "receiving country" http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/15/migrants/index.html#section-reuters-section-1

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Why would anyone donate sperm in the UK when you can be tracked down by any child to any woman that chooses your donation?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34113080
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

We have occasional pb hysteria days. Today is one of those days. If you were to believe pb's paleo-conservatives, kippers and fellow travellers, you'd think that the barbarians were at the gate.

Meanwhile, to put things into context, here's a nice chart via Faisal Islam showing who goes where:

graphic from @ReutersFlasseur on migrant crisis: UK does not register as a "receiving country" http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/15/migrants/index.html#section-reuters-section-1

So in other words you've convinced no-one.
  • Options

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    Yes, but we could get a DNA sample there, with all their details, and then if they later turn up at the UK, get another one, and it's straight on the boat.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

We're in tertiary stage hysteria, where facts are dismissed out of hand and nonsense is treated as gospel. I'm not expecting reasoned argument to get through the hyperventilation.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Why would anyone donate sperm in the UK when you can be tracked down by any child to any woman that chooses your donation?

Err quite - no wonder there are only 9 registered donors.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 928
    Pulpstar said:

Icarus said:

So she has 3 votes.
    No I mean on the competition - one person thinks she will win with 100% of the vote
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,758
    I agree with @Cyclefree that the distinction between immigrants and asylum seekers is becoming increasingly meaningless. Asylum was designed for some oppressed intellectuals not 40% of a country the size of Syria.

By pretending that we still care about "genuine" asylum seekers we end up making ever more ridiculous and meaningless distinctions to exclude many, many people who are in genuine hardship but who we don't want. Nick is right to say there are no solutions to this.

When we ignore the meaningless distinction we can say that last year we took a net 330K people into our country. If we want to take more from Syria or wherever we need to work out where we can take less from.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If the UK hadn't taken in around five million economic refugees over the last 15 years there would probably be more support for accepting refugees.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

We're in tertiary stage hysteria, where facts are dismissed out of hand and nonsense is treated as gospel. I'm not expecting reasoned argument to get through the hyperventilation.
    Not quite.

I think it's just other people see the issue from a different angle than you do, an angle you don't accept or dismiss as media hysteria.

• Options
    Just a question - if someone wins the £100 compeititon, will they actually be able to place it on a bet of their choice :) ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If the UK hadn't taken in around five million economic refugees over the last 15 years there would probably be more support for accepting refugees.

quite.
  • Options
    There's a voodoo poll in the Hodges article of around 5,000 votes:

Let's not set numbers - 16%
    A small quota (so agreeing with Farage) - 21%
    Britain should not be accepting any - 63%
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

Most comments seem fairly measured, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    antifrank said:

To be fair, the concern isn't just about the UK numbers, but for the EU as a whole. The suggestion of offshore processing centres in countries close to the sources of the migrants has been made by German and other politicians. I'm not knocking the idea, just trying to see how practical a solution it might be to what everyone agrees is a very severe problem. It doesn't look very practical to me - Nick P's suggestion that we just bribe a couple of countries enough to persuade them to take on the problem doesn't sound very realistic, either in terms of the bribees or the political implications within the bribing countries.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited September 2015
    HL said

Of course the government is silent on this problem. It can only be solved by our leaving the EU or by the EU giving up on the idea of free movement of people. The latter is never going to happen and the former is never going to happen if Cameron and the Establishment can help it. HMG's only recourse on this issue is to say nothing and hope not too many people find out about it.

What do you mean by free movement of people? I think most of us would have interpreted this along similar lines a short while ago but who knows where the immigrant crisis will take us now and our interpretation with it. Plainly the great mass of immigrants now loose in the Schengen area have forfeited any refugee status by not registering as refugees when first safe. They all seem to want to go where they want to go, that to my mind makes them economic migrants or worse. Staying out of Schengen now looks extremely far sighted even though the nincompoops who have governed us over the last two decades have played the hand very badly (I feel that's a bit too kind).

There is much discussion here about what to do about this crisis. It is not our problem, it is a Schengen problem despite "Lost Her Marbles" Merkel saying it's an EU problem. Cameron should tell her that truth. We will do our bit for genuine refugees (and you can be sure that those purporting to be genuine refugees will have the ID to prove it if not the case) but we will make our own mind up about the others. We have the top hand here, let's play it for all it's worth and not whimper behind any IN/OUT consequences. Cameron - man or mouse?

Failing this, I agree that silence is the next best option
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd love to know what the asylum seekers from Albania, Serbia and Kosovo were seeking "asylum" from.

• Options
    I think one of the reasons Cameron has so willingly aquiesced to the EC's referendum renaming could be that 'Yes' was to be a vote on his shiny new renegotiated terms. If there aren't really any renegotiated terms, then saying 'Yes' draws attention to this fact.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

Most comments seem fairly measured, as far as I can tell.
    Accept my military coup post ;-)
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Pulpstar said:

Icarus said:

So she has 3 votes.
    No I mean on the competition - one person thinks she will win with 100% of the vote
    I think she will win 3%........
  • Options
    JEO said:

Apart from the obvious?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

And yet you call those on pb.com who disagree with you (I presume, including me) "paleo-conservatives", implying they're as backward and as stupid as the dinosaurs

You think you're not given to hyperventilation?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

You would not support a Party which has no controls on immigration as its policy and a potential Leader who wants us to accept all who come?

Just asking :-)
  • Options

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd love to know what the asylum seekers from Albania, Serbia and Kosovo were seeking "asylum" from.

each other presumably.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    Yes, but we could get a DNA sample there, with all their details, and then if they later turn up at the UK, get another one, and it's straight on the boat.
    The UK has a very poor record at expelling those with no right to be here. DNA testing won't change a thing.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.

I'd go for NI myself.

Thank you, Mr Brooke. I sometimes wonder how my keyboard survives having tea and whiskey snorted over it at regular intervals.

O/T Herself has just come home from shopping and opened her post, which included the first "pay chit" of her pension that was paid for the first time today. She was very happy but almost immediately started talking about what life insurance we have and what survivor's benefits my own pension plan carries. Perhaps a live in food taster might be over the top but if anything sudden happens to me I hope someone here will have a quiet word with the authorities.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

Gypsies

More than 2,300 people from Serbia asked for asylum in Germany in July.

According to German officials, 90 per cent are Roma motivated mainly by economic factors.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/germany-to-return-asylum-seekers-to-serbia-08-21-2015
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.
    Quite. If we turn everyone back, they will be in Turkey or in North Africa anyway. So better to have something which could work. Otherwise the only choice is either:-

(1) to put up our borders and turn everyone away, harden our hearts against even to the most desperate of cases, refuse to pick up drowning people etc; or
    (2) let everyone in, regardless of whether they're genuine refugees and regardless of the problems it will cause us and regardless of whether this is what people in European democracies want.

I think the latter is untenable. So if we can't find some interim solution involving the Arab/Muslim world taking responsibility for its own problems then it will have to be the former.

You'll be called names but you're so bloody right!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What happens to anyone else who is refused entry to a country. They go somewhere else or go home.

Look, I understand that this is a very difficult issue and that there are no solutions, easy, short term or otherwise. But "I want" is not a good basis for public policy. Loads of Syrians and Lebanese and Libyans and Sudanese and innumerable other people want to live in Europe. Just because they want it does not mean that they should get it. Currently the response from politicians here and in other countries seems to be based on responding to those amongst the migrants who either shout the loudest or have the most money and can get here the easiest. That is not tenable and not fair, not least to the people of Europe who should have first claim on the affections of the European political class and, secondly, it is not fair to those genuinely persecuted groups in the Middle East to whom we should be giving asylum because they now have no alternative whereas other groups do.

Since we cannot - and in my view should not - let in unlimited numbers, then the only real questions are where those limits should be drawn and how to enforce them.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

Not all asylum claims are going to have merit. In the last year, of the top ten nationalities of applicants only those applicants from Sudan, Eritrea, Syria and Iran have generally been upheld in Britain. Precisely four Albanians were granted asylum at first hearing in the year to March 2015.

As a general point of principle, I am strongly in favour of trying to help refugees in their locality rather than accept untold asylum seekers. I expressed that view strongly in Christmas 2013 on here in relation to Syria and got roundly abused for my pains.

Because the western countries did not do this effectively (Britain can hold its head up high, it did make the effort), we now have huge waves of asylum seekers from Syria. We cannot simply send them home.

We (by which I mean the western countries as a whole) should still look to help Syrians on the ground and there is much more we could do. But we also have to do something with those who have come. We have to take our share.

In future, we need to be clearer sighted about offering support in the locality. And prevention is worth much more than cure.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Australia does it.

I don't have anything against them. Perfectly happy with other islands.

• Options

Tempted to bet tactically - better chance of winning if you're the only person correctly predicting the unlikely than one of 100 predicting the probable. But I went Corbyn 41% in the first ballot over Cooper.

To reply to Richard N and other critics of managed centres: the incentive for Turkey, Tunisia, etc. would have to be money - we would make it worth their while with substantial foreign aid both for running the camps and for building infrastructure and other development - and yes, divert foreign aid money for this and get wider public support for it. Every country has a price - if we were offered sufficient billions we'd set up some refugee camps too, and Tunisia would not expect billions. An expensive solution? Yes - but so is doing nothing. A total solution? No - however good the camps, many will try for Europe anyway. But if we're offering an alternative to "send them back to be killed" or "let them drown", it will be easier to take a tough line with illegal migrants who are caught. (And we should start by substantial aid for countries who already have lots, like Lebanon.)

But in the long run, the problem is NOT SOLUBLE, so don't waste time pointing out that each individual measure won't really solve the issue. Every solution has snags and limits. People will move where the best life is, by hook or by crook. All we can do is try to manage it

So if you don't think you can win then you don't try. I now understand why we have the four horsemen running for Labour "nice try" loser
  • Options
    antifrank said:

We (by which I mean the western countries as a whole) should still look to help Syrians on the ground and there is much more we could do. But we also have to do something with those who have come. We have to take our share.

In future, we need to be clearer sighted about offering support in the locality. And prevention is worth much more than cure.

Yes, it's worth pointing out that such schemes can work - Operation 'Provide Comfort' and its successors were pretty successful in addressing the persecution of Kurds in Iraq in the nineties.

However, the political and military conditions have to be right, and currently Syria, to take one example, is a much a trickier proposition.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I completely despair at my own party sometimes. They've banned a moderate Out group from having a stall at the party conference:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3216507/Why-Dave-banned-anti-EU-campaigners-asks-ANDREW-PIERCE.html

All the other parties are allowing them. What the hell is wrong with the Tory leadership? I thought we were supposed to be having an open and fair debate? But now they feel Tory activists can't be allowed to hear the Brexit arguments, in case they form the wrong conclusion?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Cyclefree said:

IS are in Iraq, Syria and Libya. Look at a map. We do have barbarians rather closer to the gate than makes me feel comfortable.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Plato said:

And when is over, over?

Never.

10,000 largely aggressive young men a month - a sure fire recipe for disaster as we import the ME's problems to northern Europe. Just wait until the various long held animosities and conflicts boil over here.
    "10,000 largely aggressive young men a month..."

No wonder some people are so keen to let them all in
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hmm. Tricky contest. Cheers to Mr. Hopkins, William Hill and Mr. Smithson for running it.
  • Options

Presumably the predictions from Labour supporters on PB are a good indication of the actual result.

Discuss voodoo poll. :)