Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How winning a political bet can get you into trouble

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    O/T We are looking for a last minute holiday. Has anyone except Big John Owls got a good idea?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    rcs1000 said:

If it is true that Greece is having a combination of a week long bank holiday, and capital controls, then that is undoubtedly the best thing for the Greek people.

It enables New Drachma notes to be printed, the banks not to go bust, and it enables plans for Grexit on the 5th (if that is the result) to be put in place. It is absolutely the right thing (for Greece) to do, and it slightly increases my confidence that it will not be an absolute shit show for the country.

If that happens like you outline How do they pay wages and pensions in such a situation?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

European Treaties make provisions for an exit from the EU. They do not make any provisions for an exit from the Eurozone. With good reason, of course, as the indivisibility of our Monetary Union is part of its raison d’ etre. To ask us to phrase the referendum question as a choice involving exit from the Eurozone is to ask us to violate EU Treaties and EU Law. I suggest to anyone who wants us, or anyone else, to hold a referendum on EMU membership to recommend a change in the Treaties.

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/06/28/as-it-happened-yanis-varoufakis-intervention-during-the-27th-june-2015-eurogroup-meeting/

Tells you all you need to know about the attitude of the euro-elite to the ordinary voters.
    And of the Greek government to the EU - hold a referendum five days after the deal on the table expires.....
    But the deal on the table was withdrawn following the announcement of the referendum.

So the Greek vote will be on proposals that no longer exist.

- and they say the Germans have no sense of humor.
    Makes the EU look arbitrary and idiotic

E: Here's a deal we think you can live with
    G: Good, lets ask the people what they think then
    E: How dare you consult your electorate, The offer is withdrawn
    I think you're forgetting that it was the IMF who -effectively- delivered the coup de grace here. When Tsipiras announced he was not going to be backing the deal, the IMF backtracked on its plans to offer a two week payment extension, and informed Greece and the Eurogroup that it would declare default in the event that the EUR1.5bn payment was not delivered on 30 June.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    DavidL said:

O/T We are looking for a last minute holiday. Has anyone except Big John Owls got a good idea?

Rhodes? Remember to bring a suitcase of Euros.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2015

rcs1000 said:

It enables New Drachma notes to be printed, the banks not to go bust, and it enables plans for Grexit on the 5th (if that is the result) to be put in place.

If its not the result, then what? The rest of Europe has ran out of patience with Tsipiras now and if the Greeks vote Yes then he can't be trusted to implement the policy he opposed. Then what?
    If the people vote Yes it's much more clear cut. Tsipras will have to resign and call new elections.
    Which will be held when? When will we get a new government in place?

Considering Greece runs out of money on Tuesday what exactly is supposed to happen in the meantime? It doesn't work and is anything but clear cut. Only a no vote is clear cut.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

European Treaties make provisions for an exit from the EU. They do not make any provisions for an exit from the Eurozone. With good reason, of course, as the indivisibility of our Monetary Union is part of its raison d’ etre. To ask us to phrase the referendum question as a choice involving exit from the Eurozone is to ask us to violate EU Treaties and EU Law. I suggest to anyone who wants us, or anyone else, to hold a referendum on EMU membership to recommend a change in the Treaties.

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/06/28/as-it-happened-yanis-varoufakis-intervention-during-the-27th-june-2015-eurogroup-meeting/

Tells you all you need to know about the attitude of the euro-elite to the ordinary voters.
    And of the Greek government to the EU - hold a referendum five days after the deal on the table expires.....
    But the deal on the table was withdrawn following the announcement of the referendum.

If Tsipras were calling for a Yes vote then I'm sure a temporary extension would have been granted until after the referendum. The fact that he wants a No vote, after not previously suggesting he would call a referendum makes him an extremely unreliable negotiating partner.
    Tsipiras had actually been quite clear that he might need a referendum. What he said - more or less - was "SYRIZA is split, and if I cannot take my Left Wing with me, I may need to call a referendum to get this passed."

It was not the referendum that was the issue, per se, more that: 1., the deal that Tsipiras now describes as "humiliating" is 99% the same as the one that he proposed a week ago; 2., he appeared to be in favour of the deal right up until the point he was against.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

I think you're forgetting that it was the IMF who -effectively- delivered the coup de grace here. When Tsipiras announced he was not going to be backing the deal, the IMF backtracked on its plans to offer a two week payment extension, and informed Greece and the Eurogroup that it would declare default in the event that the EUR1.5bn payment was not delivered on 30 June.
    I thought the IMF process to declare a default took a while, and started a month after the money was due, and even then was of the form of rude letters and browbeating for several months before they started gunning for assets etc
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

No the timeline required an agreement by the end of June. Greece didn't just say "Good, lets ask the people" they declared a referendum for after the deadline. If they wanted a referendum they were entitled to do so but it would have to have been held before the end of June - that was agreed months ago.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

DavidL said:

Even the pope has American Express - don't leave Rome without it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015

DavidL said:

There are a surprisingly large number of Greek holidays available. Maybe something to do with the idea that the airport staff won't turn up for work if the government tries to pay them in drachma.

Also a lot of Turkish holidays. Nothing to do with it bordering on Iraq and being full of Muslims of course.

I am presuming that the holidays in Tunisia just haven't been taken down yet.

Honestly, you need a Masters in geopolitics before you get a bit of sun these days.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

No the timeline required an agreement by the end of June. Greece didn't just say "Good, lets ask the people" they declared a referendum for after the deadline. If they wanted a referendum they were entitled to do so but it would have to have been held before the end of June - that was agreed months ago.
    The offer was only put on the table yesterday, they would have had a job putting it to a referendum months ago.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    edited June 2015
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There are a surprisingly large number of Greek holidays available. Maybe something to do with the idea that the airport staff won't turn up for work if the government tries to pay them in drachma.

Also a lot of Turkish holidays. Nothing to do with it bordering on Iraq and being full of Muslims of course.

Honestly, you need a Masters in geopolitics before you get a bit of sun these days.
    Dont ask me.

We may have a short break on the East coast of Scotland this week
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Not really - I believe my former home of Tenerife is relatively safe and open for business.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

I thought the IMF process to declare a default took a while, and started a month after the money was due, and even then was of the form of rude letters and browbeating for several months before they started gunning for assets etc
    The IMF can call a default whenever they like. However, they have the option to wait a maximum of 30 days before officially declaring a country in default.

Because of the bundling of payments loophole used by Greece, however, the 30 day date is actually (IIRC) July 3. However, the board of the IMF could extend that if they passed a vote. And they chose not to.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

The money was due on 05 June already. It is already a month late, an extension was granted to the end of June which was the first time that had occurred since Zambia in the 1980s.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    are you safely back in Blighty?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I've shortlisted my holiday between Miami/California, Canada or Cornwall.
  • Options

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

The money was due on 05 June already. It is already a month late, an extension was granted to the end of June which was the first time that had occurred since Zambia in the 1980s.
    So are we now in a rivalry to see which can be extended the longest - the greek finances or the Iran nuke deal?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Yes John, I had already excluded you from this conversation.

Tenerife is looking favourite at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Varoufakis:

The offer was only put on the table yesterday, they would have had a job putting it to a referendum months ago.
    No; offers were put on on the table months ago, Greece kept refusing the offers. If you're negotiating to a deadline and want a referendum you need to factor that into the deadline - you can't unilaterally get an extension.
  • Options
    May saw a 7% increase yoy in tourist visits to Spain. I'm sure Italy and Portugal are seeing similar boosts.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Blimey from Islamic Terrorists to Scottish Nationalists, you really do like going to places with nutty extremists.
  • Options
    The [European Union] is a [Union] based on the rule of law, inasmuch as neither its member-States nor its institutions can avoid a review of the question whether the measures adopted by them are in conformity with the basic constitutional charter, the Treat[ies] (Parti Ecologiste Les Verts v European Parliament [1987] 2 CMLR 343, 371).
    As some of the most spectacular violations of EU law since the Treaty of Rome seem imminent, never has this claim by the Court of Justice looked more hollow and absurd. The EU abides by the rule of law to the extent that an alcoholic is sober.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Detained at Donny airport but home about lunchtime yesterday.

I will be collecting the free drinks offered shortly!!!
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We obviously don't have your budget. Between school fees and tax there is not a lot left to play with (sob).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Yes John, I had already excluded you from this conversation.

Tenerife is looking favourite at the moment.
    If you drive through El Sauzal and get to Los Angeles wave as you pass my former home.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Blimey from Islamic Terrorists to Scottish Nationalists, you really do like going to places with nutty extremists.
    You are most certainly going to rue the day with that comment.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    DavidL said:

Cumbria. Glorious at this time of year.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Detained? Was that for witness statements?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Glad to hear it!!!!

You get yourself over here I'd be glad to buy you a drink :)
  • Options

The [European Union] is a [Union] based on the rule of law, inasmuch as neither its member-States nor its institutions can avoid a review of the question whether the measures adopted by them are in conformity with the basic constitutional charter, the Treat[ies] (Parti Ecologiste Les Verts v European Parliament [1987] 2 CMLR 343, 371).
    As some of the most spectacular violations of EU law since the Treaty of Rome seem imminent, never has this claim by the Court of Justice looked more hollow and absurd. The EU abides by the rule of law to the extent that an alcoholic is sober.

As he is (between drinks).
  • Options

What would you suggest would be the best way to proceed?

If the ECB continues to offer ELS to Greek banks when the Greek state is in default, then it is in breach of its own rules.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Christ, that is where I live. Are you sure??
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We obviously don't have your budget. Between school fees and tax there is not a lot left to play with (sob).
    There is a reason I take my parents on holiday with me and moved back to live with them.

On the bright side, think of all the fun I'll have with American airport staff. I think I'm still on the terrorist watch list after an incident on a previous visit.

Whenever an American airport security staff asks you "Do you have any weapons?" Don't reply with

"Why, what do you need ?"

I learned that lesson the hard way.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Would anyone genuinely honest fly into Donny? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Interesting choice of words from Tsipras:

Alexis Tsipras ‏@tsipras_eu 50 secs
    They will not succeed. The very opposite will occur: the Greek people will stand firm with even greater willfulness. #Greece

Alexis Tsipras ‏@tsipras_eu 6 mins
    The recent decisions of the Eurogroup & ECB have only one objective: to attempt to stifle the will of the Greek people. #Greece
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Wait until you see the Scotland thread going up tomorrow, I don't kick the Scot Nats Hornets' nest as much as give it a colossus wedgie, kick it in the knackers and say Haha you Nats are losers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There is a reason I take my parents on holiday with me and moved back to live with them.

On the bright side, think of all the fun I'll have with American airport staff. I think I'm still on the terrorist watch list after an incident on a previous visit.

Whenever an American airport security staff asks you "Do you have any weapons?" Don't reply with

The TSA staff are much more thorough these days. They just put a hand down there and say "cough".
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Yes.

Any photos, sightings, etc. Rather than we understand you moved the bedroom mattress against the door you is nicked

Then Special Branch briefing and councelling details etc.

I thought EWNBPM would have been at Donny to welcome me home!!!
  • Options

They will not succeed. The very opposite will occur: the Greek people will stand firm with even greater willfulness. #Greece

The recent decisions of the Eurogroup & ECB have only one objective: to attempt to stifle the will of the Greek people. #Greece

If they want to stand firm for more than four hours they're going to need a boatload of Viagra.
  • Options

The problem is that the will of the Greek people is to end austerity *and* stay in the Eurozone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is in fairness really hard for a Brit to take those idiotic forms ("do you intend to cause a terrorist event in the USA during your visit" or words to that effect) even vaguely seriously but that was probably unwise.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

calum said:

For anybody not yet following it, I can recommend Bloomberg Politics as another way of keeping tabs of the US race. A classic piece on Donald Trump's recent visit to Baltimore:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-06-24/donald-trump-the-edsel-ford-fung-of-candidates-tells-baltimore-it-s-got-no-spirit-none-

The best bit:

" Then, he had dinner—chicken, rice, and green beans—and told the audience that “all due respect,” he hadn’t really wanted to come, but had done so as a favor. That didn’t keep him from speaking for 52 minutes—a State of the Union-length talk, but not so much a political speech as a score-settling march through a list of those against whom he has grievances, including Neil Young, Karl Rove, Cher, Chuck Todd, someone with the Club for Growth whose name he can’t remember—“David something; "

I have to say I'm enjoying it. As he says, he's very rich, he knows how to create jobs, he's using his own money, he's not beholden to anyone, he's gloriously non-pc.

It's refreshing and fun. Of course he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance, but fun none the less.
    It's also not true. He got rich using Other People's Money.

His gift was to convince the banks into lending him more despite repeated bankruptcies
    What's not true - he's not rich or he didn't create jobs?
    That he used his own money to create jobs.
    Who said he did?

He's using his own money to run for prez. Most folks who are rich had investors to help them.

Really? You really are that much biased?
    I've no problem with investors who back successful businessmen.

I just object to people holding themselves out as fabulously smart businessmen when basically all they did is borrow a sh1t load of money and punt it on a rising real estate market. It certainly takes a certain degree of talent, but it's hardly being a Dyson, Gates or Buffett.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Wait until you see the Scotland thread going up tomorrow, I don't kick the Scot Nats Hornets' nest as much as give it a colossus wedgie, kick it in the knackers and say Haha you Nats are losers.
    That's proper fighting talk - what time are you planning on posting it ? - need to make sure I'm at the computer. Do I need to wear my kilt and apply full body war paint ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Christ, that is where I live. Are you sure??
    Is it I didn't know you lived there!!!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Yes.

Any photos, sightings, etc. Rather than we understand you moved the bedroom mattress against the door you is nicked

I think it was more likely native son Jeremy Clarkson would have welcomed you home.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I hear Greece is cheap right now....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Are you still banned from flying Quantas for that very small *cough* ...... misunderstanding?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

calum said:

For anybody not yet following it, I can recommend Bloomberg Politics as another way of keeping tabs of the US race. A classic piece on Donald Trump's recent visit to Baltimore:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-06-24/donald-trump-the-edsel-ford-fung-of-candidates-tells-baltimore-it-s-got-no-spirit-none-

The best bit:

" Then, he had dinner—chicken, rice, and green beans—and told the audience that “all due respect,” he hadn’t really wanted to come, but had done so as a favor. That didn’t keep him from speaking for 52 minutes—a State of the Union-length talk, but not so much a political speech as a score-settling march through a list of those against whom he has grievances, including Neil Young, Karl Rove, Cher, Chuck Todd, someone with the Club for Growth whose name he can’t remember—“David something; "

I have to say I'm enjoying it. As he says, he's very rich, he knows how to create jobs, he's using his own money, he's not beholden to anyone, he's gloriously non-pc.

It's refreshing and fun. Of course he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance, but fun none the less.
    It's also not true. He got rich using Other People's Money.

His gift was to convince the banks into lending him more despite repeated bankruptcies
    What's not true - he's not rich or he didn't create jobs?
    That he used his own money to create jobs.
    Who said he did?

He's using his own money to run for prez. Most folks who are rich had investors to help them.

Really? You really are that much biased?
    I've no problem with investors who back successful businessmen.

I just object to people holding themselves out as fabulously smart businessmen when basically all they did is borrow a sh1t load of money and punt it on a rising real estate market. It certainly takes a certain degree of talent, but it's hardly being a Dyson, Gates or Buffett.
    And if he'd just taken his dad's cash and chucked it into an S&P500 tracker, he'd be richer today :-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If the ECB continues to offer ELS to Greek banks when the Greek state is in default, then it is in breach of its own rules.

Does it not therefore follow that the ECB rules are in breach of those laws if the require the bank to behave in a fashion which is unlawful ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is in fairness really hard for a Brit to take those idiotic forms ("do you intend to cause a terrorist event in the USA during your visit" or words to that effect) even vaguely seriously but that was probably unwise.
    I was tired and cranky after a long flight. Plus I had been bumped down from first class to sit in peasant class at the last moment.

Worst journey ever.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The problem is that the will of the Greek people is to end austerity *and* stay in the Eurozone.
    They really should have a referendum on the laws of gravity. Imagine what a boost it would be to their tourist industry if they were abolished.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Does it not therefore follow that the ECB rules are in breach of those laws if the require the bank to behave in a fashion which is unlawful ?

So the ECB should be required to give money to banks under all circumstances?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Even the pope has American Express - don't leave Rome without it :)
    Even Rome leads to Rhodes?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

French gite? Can be a bit remote, you need a car, but usually fairly cheap.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Are you still banned from flying Quantas for that very small *cough* ...... misunderstanding?
    I need to book a visit to Australia again to find out.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Yes.

I think it was more likely native son Jeremy Clarkson would have welcomed you home.
    I am already offered suicide watch stuff would have immediately took it up if Jezza or Dave had been there to meet us
  • Options
    William Buiter at Citi is predicting that:

- the Greek banking system remains essentially closed for a week
    and
    - a clear vote for 'yes' next Sunday
    and
    - the deal to therefore be approved by all

He may be optimistic

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I was tired and cranky after a long flight. Plus I had been bumped down from first class to sit in peasant class at the last moment.

Worst journey ever.
    That was you sitting next to me and grumbling the whole way??? What an asshole :)
  • Options
    As an aside, if the Greek people do vote "yes" next Sunday, Tsipiras is surely going to have to resign. And, a government would be effectively obliged to implement that which it most strenuously opposed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

The ECB should follow the law. If the law requires actions to be reviewed by a court if requested then that is what it should do. Otherwise the law should be changed. It's a bit like politicians bitching about judges passing light sentences when they are only following sentencing guidelines set by politicians
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me
    Aye

Police statements galore

Yes.

I am already offered suicide watch stuff would have immediately took it up if Jezza or Dave had been there to meet us
    You could have auditioned for the new Stig!

Some say - he likes to go on holiday to unstable north African countries, and that he thinks a Special Branch interview is part of the Schengen Agreement.

All we know is - he's called Big John!! :)
  • Options
    calum said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

That's proper fighting talk - what time are you planning on posting it ? - need to make sure I'm at the computer. Do I need to wear my kilt and apply full body war paint ?
    Probably tomorrow afternoon 1/2pm.

Might get bumped because of events.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, if the Greek people do vote "yes" next Sunday, Tsipiras is surely going to have to resign. And, a government would be effectively obliged to implement that which it most strenuously opposed.

I'd put money on a Yes vote. For a No victory Tsipras will need to get over 50% of people to effectively give a blank cheque to a gambler. He only got 36% when trying to hide the more reckless elements of Syriza.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

It much more fun if they call a new election and the Greeks re elect syriza or an even more maoist grouping
  • Options
    I decided against putting in my police statement that

"On the bright side I broke my PB for the 100m wearing flip flops and have successfully met the eligibilty criteria for the GB hide and seek championships."
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    BeeB says Greece is imposing capital controls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33305019
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'd put money on a Yes vote. For a No victory Tsipras will need to get over 50% of people to effectively give a blank cheque to a gambler. He only got 36% when trying to hide the more reckless elements of Syriza.
    Is the referendum going to be too late to matter is the real question. If they have already defaulted and are using the new drachma as at least a secondary currency.
  • Options
    Financier said:

small case only required for holidaymakers
  • Options
    Financier said:

greece then
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

The problem is that 'the will of the Greek people' was to have cake, eat cake and lose weight.
    Mr Tsipras has just been told that that option is not valid, no matter how much his goverment wish it were so.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I decided against putting in my police statement that

"On the bright side I broke my PB for the 100m wearing flip flops and have successfully met the eligibilty (sic) criteria for the GB hide and seek championships."

or that - while blindfolded - you can disassemble, clean, and reassemble a Heckler and Koch MP5.

One of the more dubious skills one acquires in the US is that I can tell after a single bang if it was a small or large calibre pistol, a rifle (and what sort), or a shotgun. I don't own a gun but enjoy going to the range.

So, unfortunately, I would have known immediately what was happening on that beach.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I'd put money on a Yes vote. For a No victory Tsipras will need to get over 50% of people to effectively give a blank cheque to a gambler. .

Yes but it's a blank cheque written by people who think they've got nothing to lose and drawn on a bank that's bust anyway.

In any case I suspect it will be too late by then.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

rcs1000 said:

Another 18% voted for Golden Dawn, the Communist Party, Independent Greeks, Popular Orthodox, and Marxist Leninists. I think No will win if Tsipras supports No. But, I think it's pretty academic. There's no deal on offer, now.
  • Options
    Financier said:

How many per sentence?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Be aware. Some people might be nasty to you on Twitter and Facebook
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Indigo

'Is the referendum going to be too late to matter is the real question. If they have already defaulted and are using the new drachma as at least a secondary currency.'

Definitely not,a deal will be done to keep Greece in the Euro it may take a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    @bigjohnowls - Great that you're safely back.
  • Options
    @afneil: If Greece votes yes in referendum it will be for deal that no longer exists. And Syriza has to resign. If no, what next?
  • Options

calum said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

Great, I'll keep an eye out for it and be ready to respond !!
  • Options

Financier said:

How many per sentence?
    ALL OF THEM
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: If Greece votes yes in referendum it will be for deal that no longer exists. And Syriza has to resign. If no, what next?

The return of Zorba?

Or a shortage of Greek yogurt?
  • Options

Seconded. One of PBs more interesting afternoons was last Friday.

Glad you made it back safely @bigjohnowls!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited June 2015
    LuckyGuy They do not own MI5 or MI6, but if we continue to cut our defence spending o while our national security needs continue to increase the gap has to be met from somewhere

SR The SNP actually got 56 seats
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Financier said:

How many per sentence?
    ALL OF THEM
    It's the triple caps-lock.
  • Options
    calum said:

calum said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

It is the first of two Scotland threads. Both should be humdingers.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

The return of Zorba?
    Is it too early for dodgy pop songs yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWYHO1tLcqY
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The return of Zorba?

Who faces the greatest disappointment in the next 6 months?

The Greek people. or Cowboys fans...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Another 18% voted for Golden Dawn, the Communist Party, Independent Greeks, Popular Orthodox, and Marxist Leninists. I think No will win if Tsipras supports No. But, I think it's pretty academic. There's no deal on offer, now.
    I think if Greece votes 'yes' (and my money is on a narrow 'no'), then the Eurogroup and the IMF and the ECB will effectively put the deal back on the table. They would rather Greece did not drop out of the Eurozone, and this would give them the political cover.

What I do hope - for the people of Greece - is that Tsipiras and the rest of his government spend the next seven days preparing for Greece post the Eurozone. They need to get bank notes printed, legislation drafted; they need to make sure that Greek banks' systems are going to be able to cope with the change over.

To a large extent, how Greece does over the next five years will be a consequence of their ability to implement a new currency in a timely and efficient manner. If there is no preparation in the next week, it could be hideous.

As an aside, I sincerely hope that whoever wins, it is by a significant margin. There will be economic winners from "Yes" (those with savings or on fixed incomes), and winners from "No" (the young and the unemployed). I hope there is no violence from the losers to the winners in the aftermath of the vote.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

The ECB should follow the law. If the law requires actions to be reviewed by a court if requested then that is what it should do. Otherwise the law should be changed. It's a bit like politicians bitching about judges passing light sentences when they are only following sentencing guidelines set by politicians

The law is clear. If the Greek banks are insolvent, they must cut off funding. In fact, Jens Weidmann of the Bundesbank makes a very compelling case that raising the ELS limits was - in effect - monetary financing of deficits. And therefore should not be allowed.
  • Options

calum said:

calum said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dont ask me.

It is the first of two Scotland threads. Both should be humdingers.
    Some years ago, Celtic were playing Rangers. The Rangers fans were chanting endlessly "To Hell With The Pope!". The Celtic fans had no immediate answer for this.

But after a quick meeting in the bar at half-time they were ready.

As soon as the Rangers fans restarted their chant in the second half "To Hell With The Pope!", the Celtic fans were ready.

Next time the Rangers chant came, they responded immediately with "To Hell With The Moderator Of The General Assembly of the Church Of Scotland !"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Thanks to everyone for Friday

Interesting maybe not my first choice of words but hey at least we got to come home unlike so many.

I didnt really go on holiday to spend 5 hrs in a bedroom with my wife and daughter with my phone locked in another room. Although the fact only whispering was permissable was a definite plus point
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

The return of Zorba?

Who faces the greatest disappointment in the next 6 months?

The Greek people. or Cowboys fans...
    Yogurt fans.
  • Options

Thanks Richard it was a worse experience for me than GE2015
  • Options
    Yesterday SLAB sent a 51 page dossier to the MSM detailing 131 offensive tweets by 46 Cybernats since 2012. There was very little coverage in the MSM as SLAB appear to have wandered into a legal minefield. Unfortunately the dossier has now been leaked and is circulating on social media. Given the legal constraints I've not included a link to a copy of the document - it's easy to locate it.

SLAB have made some classic errors:

(1) Make sure your own stables are clean before pointing the finger at others. For example, Ian Smart a senior SLAB stalwart, has produced about the same number on his own:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/friendly-help-for-kezia-dugdale/

(2) Do your research thoroughly. For example, 45 of the tweets are only included because they use the word "traitor". I'm sure all SLAB conference attendees will be familiar with the red flag and the term "traitors sneer" in the last verse.

(3) Seek legal advice that before publishing the dossier to ensure there no legal or Data Protection impediments. Tim Turner a DP blogger has summarised the legal position below:

http://2040infolawblog.com/2015/06/27/a-bunch-of-twts/

(4) Think through what is the strategic aims of publishing this dossier. A cynic might say, is a party which finds offence in 131 tweets, tough enough to ever form a government?

In conclusion, if this dossier is the best SLAB can come up with, its starting to look like the plague of Cybernatism has been a bit overplayed by the MSM (sorry the Daily Mail) and the political commentators. Perhaps the Cybernats have all been sent into hibernation in their highland troll caves, to be awoken by Daenerys Sturgeon in the Spring of 2016 !!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Thanks to everyone for Friday

Interesting maybe not my first choice of words but hey at least we got to come home unlike so many.

I didnt really go on holiday to spend 5 hrs in a bedroom with my wife and daughter with my phone locked in another room. Although the fact only whispering was permissable was a definite plus point
    You are the Sousse Whisperer!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Tim_B said:

Some years ago, Celtic were playing Rangers. The Rangers fans were chanting endlessly "To Hell With The Pope!". The Celtic fans had no immediate answer for this.

But after a quick meeting in the bar at half-time they were ready.

As soon as the Rangers fans restarted their chant in the second half "To Hell With The Pope!", the Celtic fans were ready.

Next time the Rangers chant came, they responded immediately with "To Hell With The Moderator Of The General Assembly of the Church Of Scotland !"

The two best selling books in Glasgow...

Up the Rangers, a history of Rangers FC

Right Up the Rangers, a history of Celtic FC
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

The law is clear. If the Greek banks are insolvent, they must cut off funding. In fact, Jens Weidmann of the Bundesbank makes a very compelling case that raising the ELS limits was - in effect - monetary financing of deficits. And therefore should not be allowed.

Every bank is insolvent, hence fractional reserve banking.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Yogurt fans.

Good news for Cowboys fans; their misery will be over by New year...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What I do hope - for the people of Greece - is that Tsipiras and the rest of his government spend the next seven days preparing for Greece post the Eurozone. They need to get bank notes printed, legislation drafted; they need to make sure that Greek banks' systems are going to be able to cope with the change over.

But he can't do that without admitting that his referendum is on a false prospectus. He would be like the Iraqi information minister claiming there are no Drachma in Athens, except in this case he would be the one firing up the printing press. By his dishonesty he has prevented sensible policy making no matter what the outcome is.