Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And before the big Question Time event here’s Marf

Comments

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Sorry, the Guardian blog has the video.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tyson said:

Blinking heckers- just reading the thread- I know this site is mostly populated by Tory cheerleaders, but reading this thread, I didn't realise just how much. I've been posting here for 10 years, but it really is essentially a Tory site, apart from a couple of stubborn lefty dieharders.

Can't really agree. probably a small majority of tories, granted. Don't mistake people who think the current Labour franchise as being absolutely shocking as automatically Tory.
    I think Mike did a poll of PBers last year. LDs were rather overrepresented but actually fairly evenly split between the parties.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

If Ed did slip - hope it wasn't as bad as in "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer" - where the PM slips and falls through a backdrop during a live political broadcast.

Great movie. Didn't he get power by pushing PM off oil rig?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Plato said:

@Sean_Fear used to be a lone Tory voice once. It's a reflection of the mood - look how many SNPers and Kippers we have...

tyson said:

Blinking heckers- just reading the thread- I know this site is mostly populated by Tory cheerleaders, but reading this thread, I didn't realise just how much. I've been posting here for 10 years, but it really is essentially a Tory site, apart from a couple of stubborn lefty dieharders.

Really, Plato- I remember at the 2005 election the site being quite balanced with a reasonable abundance of liberals. I think Tim's presence single handedly upped the lefties by about twenty fold.
    And really, read the threads. Labour posters rarely do any ramping.

BTW- I thought Cameron did alright, and so did Ed considering the hostility at the start. And Clegg is really quite good at these things- by far the smoothest.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Could have easily had Farage on for the next half hour..
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Now for Nicola on BBC Scotland
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,974
    edited April 2015
    Clegg reminded me why I used to like him so much. For my money it was a toss up between Clegg and Ed. But I would think that. It's hard to like someone who you think looks insincere
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    test
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    what channel for farage
  • Options
    Nightly YouGov poll in 60 minutes. Following the present trend, I'm looking for a Tory 2% lead.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

Monty said:

The most important item from this evening is Miliband's statement about cooperation with the SNP.

That and Ed's shocking denial about overspending. Ed seems to be living in denial - he should have acknowledged a mistake, drawn a line and moved on rather than denying anything was wrong in the first place.
    The thing is, it's true. We went into the global financial crisis with rather low debt, and spending a lot during it was exactly the right thing to do.

But fighting the dumbed down morality tale of overspending is probably bad political tactics
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2015
    Artist said:

Could have easily had Farage on for the next half hour..

He's going to be on later. BBC 1, 10.50pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t1wnj
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322

Nightly YouGov poll in 60 minutes. Following the present trend, I'm looking for a Tory 2% lead.

Con led by ONE person last night - which rounded to a 1% lead.

Any Con lead would be a surprise.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    So that's not him on BBC 4?
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    Cameron was terrible. Ed surprisingly statesmanlike. But Clegg easily the most impressive of the three. Disappointed personally but it looks more likely than ever that Miliband gets to number 10.
  • Options
    JamesM said:

Is Clegg saying the Lib Dems won't support a Conservative EU referendum plan? If so how can they go in to coalition together? Will this help them in SW England?

Because the Tories don't want to have a referendum, and a coalition with the LDs would give them a cover story?
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Watching Clegg is like having last year's losing cup finalists relive their past failure.

Clegg is Hull City.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JackW Scores on The Doors :

Dave 7/10 .. Ed 5/10 .. Nick 7/10
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

QPR chairman -

Tony Fernandes @tonyfernandes
    ·
    David Cameron was excellent in tonight’s #BBCQT - very strong, a great leader”. I was impressed. We need more leaders like this in asean

Bad news for Cameron.

With endorsements like Tony Fernandes, who needs...
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    trublue said:

Cameron was terrible. Ed surprisingly statesmanlike. But Clegg easily the most impressive of the three. Disappointed personally but it looks more likely than ever that Miliband gets to number 10.

Sorry, but nurse!
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    tyson said:

Particularly bad this evening. Very few of us lefties can be bothered.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Artist And then Bennett and Sturgeon and Wood etc, they are all going to be on at some point tonight on the BBC (though not Bennett, although she was on ITV at 7.30pm)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    trublue said:

The weekly phone that Clegg has been doing on LBC for two years has been really great preparation for an event last week. There's nothing that can be flung at him that he hasn't had to deal with before. Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know.

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Monty

A claim that this was sheffield 92 was particularly amusing.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    edited April 2015
    Monty said:

tyson said:

Maybe it's just you've nothing much worth saying. What does the left stand for these days ?
  • Options
    The Paxo debates, didn't shift any votes, the 7 way didn't shift any votes, the 4 way debate didn't shift any votes.

I don't think this one will either,
  • Options
    If anybody wants to complain about unbalanced audiences it should be the SNP. Only 25% of the audience tonight are nationalist supporters somewhat understating the current position of the polls!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Osborne looks very chipper
  • Options
    Mimus said:

Watching Clegg is like having last year's losing cup finalists relive their past failure.

Clegg is Hull City.

Hull have just pulled off an unlikely late recovery and look set to survive.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Didn't like some of the QT audience. You don't have to be aggressive or rude to ask tough questions.

Wish Prescott had been taking the questions.
  • Options
    Re: Panelbase.
    Does anyone know why their UKIP share tends to be higher? Is it weighting?
  • Options

Fancies he's got a shot at LoO.
  • Options
    Monty and Tyson and any left of centre friends, are you canvassing. Any sense of whether your voters bouyed up for next week?
  • Options

Hopefully someone will shove him in a deep fat frier.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346

Monty said:

tyson said:

Maybe it's just yoiu've nothing much worth saying. What does the left stand for these days ?
    The usual.
    Standing up for the less fortunate.
    Equality.
    Fairness.
    Redistribution of wealth.
    Holding the rich and powerful to account.

You should try it sometime. It's refreshing.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    When the SNP puts up candidates outside Scotland - you'll have a point.
    Saltire said:

If anybody wants to complain about unbalanced audiences it should be the SNP. Only 25% of the audience tonight are nationalist supporters somewhat understating the current position of the polls!

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited April 2015
    trublue said:

Let me guess that by Tuesday you'll be so disillusioned with Dave that with the most heartfelt sadness that this loyal 'trublue's' vote will be going to Ed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    tyson said:

Don't be silly. If you can be bothered to navigate back to the leaders' debate you will find that
    the (accurate) consensus was that both ed and cameron did an adequate but uninspiring job. There was very little ramping other than by a couple of short-lived tory trolls who seem to have vanished again. I was seriously worried that ed would turn in a good performance tonight, and I can promise you that if I thought he had I would have said so. He didn't, not by a long chalk.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Monty said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Maybe it's just yoiu've nothing much worth saying. What does the left stand for these days ?
    The usual.
    Equality.
    Fairness.

Thirteen years in power. You should have tried some of that sometime. It would have been refreshing....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    IOS said:

HYUFD

The Sun worm says Miliband won it!!

The Sun doesn't lie with gritted teeth !

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Staggers calls it for Dave...

@georgeeaton: No one dazzled tonight - but Cameron held up best on the torture rack. #bbcqt
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Didn't like some of the QT audience. You don't have to be aggressive or rude to ask tough questions.

Wish Prescott had been taking the questions.

Only if you wanted another Prezza punch up.

• Options
    @pollycurtis: Guardian/ICM poll: David Cameron on top 44% of viewers that Cameron was “best on the night”, compared to 38% for Miliband and 19% for Clegg
  • Options

The Paxo debates, didn't shift any votes, the 7 way didn't shift any votes, the 4 way debate didn't shift any votes.

That may be so, but this was BBC prime time with 7 days until polling day.

• Options
    JohnO said:

trublue said:

Let me guess that by Tuesday you'll be so disillusioned with Dave that with the most heartfelt sadness that this loyal 'trublue's' vote will be going to Ed.
    I miss Phil Us Blues Roberts.

No one will ever match that
  • Options
    Concanvasser

I am and yes Lab voters are very excited - but to be honest we are looking to go into government so we should be.
  • Options
    Alanbrooke

"Maybe it's just you've nothing much worth saying. What does the left stand for these days ?"

Sex drugs and hard working families
  • Options
    Did Milliband really confirm that he'd rather see Cameron in Downing Street than be in Coalition with Lib Dems?
  • Options

Paxman on the Last Leg at 2200.
  • Options
    Loving The Sun twitter worm giving it to Miliband.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Miliband was asked the wrong question.

Should have been "Will you vote against a Tory Queen's Speech?"
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW Scores on The Doors :

Dave 7/10 .. Ed 5/10 .. Nick 7/10

I think that is probably fair, but I would up it to 8,8 and 7 for Ed. Ed loses one point because he kept his hands in his pocket, otherwise I would score drawer it.

I am incredibly impressed by the three of them and their back teams. No game changers I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Monty said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

The usual.
    Equality.
    Fairness.

Yeah those are the words but it's not what you've actually done is it ?

Under Labour there was greater wealth inequality, rampant corporatism, workers pensions got screwed and the rich and powerful funded the party.

So aside from empty slogans what does the left stand for ?
  • Options
    Cameron takes a MOE win with ICM though
  • Options
    ICM:

Cameron 44
    Miliband 38
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

If Ed did slip - hope it wasn't as bad as in "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer" - where the PM slips and falls through a backdrop during a live political broadcast.

Great movie. Didn't he get power by pushing PM off oil rig?
    One of the steps. As the Sun said (in the Movie) "There's Gold in them there drills". IIRC he becomes PM, makes everyone give their advice on every topic under the sun so that eventually they vote to let him make all the decisions. Can't remember how it ends exactly - but think an ex colleague (Arthur Lowe?) tries to assassinate him at the same time as another person does - and fails.
  • Options
    IOS No, the Sun worm records twitter reaction and by the end Cameron and Miliband were tied despite the fact twitter leans left
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@pollycurtis: Guardian/ICM poll: David Cameron on top 44% of viewers that Cameron was “best on the night”, compared to 38% for Miliband and 19% for Clegg

Nonsense. That just reflects the pre-existing prejudices - the popularity of the leaders/parties. Clegg only half as good as Miliband??
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Britain Elects @britainelects

#BBCQT snap poll (ICM):
    Cameron - 44%
    Miliband - 38%
    Clegg - 19%

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    William_H said:

Monty said:

The most important item from this evening is Miliband's statement about cooperation with the SNP.

That and Ed's shocking denial about overspending. Ed seems to be living in denial - he should have acknowledged a mistake, drawn a line and moved on rather than denying anything was wrong in the first place.
    The thing is, it's true. We went into the global financial crisis with rather low debt, and spending a lot during it was exactly the right thing to do.

But fighting the dumbed down morality tale of overspending is probably bad political tactics
    No we went in with spending far too high relative to the size of the economy because Gordon Brown foolishly thought he had eliminated boom and bust. When the bust did come it left us with a structural deficit of over 8% of GDP. Labour = economic ruin.
  • Options
    Remember the previous debate had more Lab viewers.

So Cameron win may be bigger than headline numbers suggest.
  • Options
    @SunNation: #SUNNATION EXCLUSIVE: We reveal the man responsible for Ed slipping off the stage... http://t.co/WZ7bITsezb http://t.co/gd42tw4Tgc
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nonsense. That just reflects the pre-existing prejudices - the popularity of the leaders/parties. Clegg only half as good as Miliband??
    100% agree...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,320
    Off-topic:

An interesting article on Grany Shapps and Wikipedia:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/30/grant_shapps_may_not_have_been_wiki_fiddling/

The comments are interesting, for mostly sad reasons.
  • Options
    Kent

Scores are so close that it matters little to anything.
  • Options
    Eagle

"The Paxo debates, didn't shift any votes, the 7 way didn't shift any votes, the 4 way debate didn't shift any votes."

It probably won't but I'd be surprised if the unaligned don't find Ed a much more attractive personality than they'd thought before. I certainly did
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Desperate hatchet job by BBC Scotland on Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    @jameskirkup: Cameron: strong
    Miliband: stumbling
    Clegg: sidelined
    Audience: savage
    #bbcqt
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    test
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

The two big differences are that firstly it is very close to the actual vote, and secondly there are lots of playable soundbites from this - they are mostly bad for EM & good for DC.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Saltire said:

Sorry I was referring to Sturgeon's Q&A on BBC Scotland
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

QPR chairman -

Tony Fernandes @tonyfernandes
    ·
    David Cameron was excellent in tonight’s #BBCQT - very strong, a great leader”. I was impressed. We need more leaders like this in asean

Yes, Tony. This month both you and David will be relegated.
  • Options
    Initial thoughts on the ICM poll is that Tories will be disappointed to not have a wider edge over Labour and the LibDems pleased with a score double their poll rating.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

Saltire said:

Is Nicola being shown outside Scotland?

Edit this is irrelevant already
  • Options
    Monty said:

tyson said:

It'd be nice to see a bit more intervention by our OGH to counter the Tory bias here, but I guess he's liberal and not minded to. He gave Casino a nicely aimed cuff the other night though which was quite pleasing.

I just can't be bothered to take them on. It's like fighting mozzies on a balmy Florentine evening. They're just too many of the bugars and once you swat one away there are a zillion others taking their place.
  • Options
    @ToryTreasury: Expectations were so low for Miliband, all he had to do was not trip over himself. Well... #BBCQT

The Quiet Bat People team should have spent more hours practicing walking...
  • Options
    IOS its a great time of year to be outside regardless of which colour rossette you fon. The blossom has been incredibly good this year and the country looking particularly beautiful.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alanbrooke

"Maybe it's just you've nothing much worth saying. What does the left stand for these days ?"

Sex drugs and hard working families

Well that's you out then Roger, you're more a comfy slippers and Countryfile kind of guy
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    William_H said:

Monty said:

We went in with low debt due to legacy from before 2002. We did not go into it with a surplus or low deficit, we had a deficit from 2002 onwards. When do you think the crisis started?

Why do you think we had a 3% deficit before the crisis? Cyclical (Keynesian) spending is that you save in the good times and spend in the bad, we were maxing out spending in the good times so we had no chance when the bad times inevitably hit.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited April 2015
    IOS said:

Cameron takes a MOE win with ICM though

A six point lead in an event where the prequels had significantly less favourable demographics than the wider electorate is fairly significant.

Besides the important stuff starts now: the news teams start to spin; that's where the votes will shift.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    YouGov say it was a score draw - ICM beg to differ.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,320
    IOS said:

Loving The Sun twitter worm giving it to Miliband.

Only infantile idiots pay any attention to the worms. They're a hideous carbuncle on democracy.

(and before anyone says, that is a view I've had well before this GE, and is based on SCIENCE !!!!!!)

;-)
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    JohnO said:

Ha, no. Even Tony Blair couldn't persuade me to vote Labour. There's not a chance Ed Miliband would ever get me to vote red. I'll be voting Conservative and praying we can win enough seats to keep Red Ed out. But I'm growing more pessimistic by the day as you can probably tell.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077

trublue said:

The weekly phone that Clegg has been doing on LBC for two years has been really great preparation for an event last week. There's nothing that can be flung at him that he hasn't had to deal with before. Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know.

I honestly think he's a first rate political performer. Strategically a total idiot of course meaning he's got no way back now.
  • Options
    Cham

Bit of paranioa there. just as favourable to Dave as Ed before hand.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Initial thoughts on the ICM poll is that Tories will be disappointed to not have a wider edge over Labour and the LibDems pleased with a score double their poll rating.

I think that's pretty much a fair score and one which more than anything reflects the order of appearance rather than anything that came out of their mouths.
    Clegg was the best, he was the best in the debate too. But people have stopped listening to him.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IOS said:

Kent

Scores are so close that it matters little to anything.

Well you would say that since your man lost.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    trublue said:

JohnO said:

Ha, no. Even Tony Blair couldn't persuade me to vote Labour. There's not a chance Ed Miliband would ever get me to vote red. I'll be voting Conservative and praying we can win enough seats to keep Red Ed out. But I'm growing more pessimistic by the day as you can probably tell.
    Grow some spine, man!
  • Options
    Sturgeon doing quite well in Pacific Quay.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Monty said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

The usual.
    Equality.
    Fairness.

It would be nice if there was a political party that did so.
  • Options
    A 6 point win for Cameron in the final debate, though not overwhelming, gives him the momentum going into the last week, with few other events likely to shift the votes now. Clegg also may have saved a little furniture with a 19% rating
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    IOS said:

Monty

A claim that this was sheffield 92 was particularly amusing.

As you hadn't the courage to say at the time. If the left has nothing to offer but apathetic aftertiming of this kind, is it any wonder that the right dominates? We can't write your posts for you, you know.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

@KennyFarq: So she doesn't know if there will be indyref2, and doesn't know what would bring one about, but won't rule one out. Not convincing. #bbcqt
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Eagle

"The Paxo debates, didn't shift any votes, the 7 way didn't shift any votes, the 4 way debate didn't shift any votes."

It probably won't but I'd be surprised if the unaligned don't find Ed a much more attractive personality than they'd thought before. I certainly did

You are just as bad as IOS..
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited April 2015
    Jonathan said:

The way BBC Scotland have tried to hang her out to dry is risible, that she's standing up to the barrage and such an unrepresentative audience is telling.

The number of interrupts from BBC Scotland's Labourite stooge presenter is utterly disgraceful.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    Roger said:

Eagle

The unaligned didnt watch.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    trublue said:

JohnO said:

OK, so how was Cameron "terrible"?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

@KennyFarq: So she doesn't know if there will be indyref2, and doesn't know what would bring one about, but won't rule one out. Not convincing. #bbcqt
    TBH tuned in late and missed that key point, she seemed quite relaxed.
This discussion has been closed.