Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And before the big Question Time event here’s Marf

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And before the big Question Time event here’s Marf

LAB at 2% lead with Panelbase. LAB 34% (NC), CON 32% (+1%), UKIP 17% (NC), LD 8% (+1), GRN 4% (NC)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    First!
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Like Chelsea!
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    I noted earlier that the Green 8% caused some discussion about Norwich South. I have no local information, but got on for a few quid before the "Green Surge" at 25-1 which felt like a good price given it's notionally a billion-way marginal.

Anyway I'm in the market to sell, as while I think 25-1 was value, I don't think it's particularly likely. I'm curious what people who are bullish on the Greens generally would call a fair price.

I'm offering 6.6 at Betfair. I could go a bit higher if anyone's game given the lack of liquidity, but Labour matched at 1.25 suggests someone else is in with a shout, and I can't really see who that is if it isn't the Greens. Surely no way it's a LD hold?!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Now on to the most boring part of the GE campaign, the QT event.

I'm not going to bother watching it.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I see SI has Ukip at 3.2 - 4.2. Must be a lot of Ukippers in the (virtual) bookies.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2015
    The cartoon made me laugh, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it takes the pee out of all the sweaty self-centred political gob spray that's flying around, doubtless some of it mine.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Dadge said:

I see SI has Ukip at 3.2 - 4.2. Must be a lot of Ukippers in the (virtual) bookies.

Well since the Tories have given up on Thurrock based on the Transport Secretary's plan, that means 2 certain UKIP seats plus any of Thanet.S, Rochester, Boston and Castle Point.

If UKIP's chances are 33% in each seat then UKIP getting 3 seats is the most probable outcome, if it's 50% then it's 4 seats, also there is a small chance that UKIP might produce a surprise in a seat that LordA hasn't polled.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Outlier from MORI.

Almost all polls show good retention of 2010 Lab voters.

If you voted for them in 2010,you are likely to vote for them now unless you are in Scotland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Dadge said:

It is a huge spread, 1 pt at that level.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

If you voted for them in 2010,you are likely to vote for them now unless you are in Scotland.

So Red Kippers don't exist? And the Greens aren't relevant. Right.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

That is one assumption of several possible
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

You are in for a shock.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

Check previous polls.Generally the retention is 80-90%.It used to be higher before the Independence campaign.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Charles

Since our quick chat about the Garden Bridge I haven't been on at the same time as you. I can't get to London that evening so will have to pass on the kind offer, even if it would have cost a donation!

Thanks for thinking of me.
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    On SLAB Membership from previous forum

Paul Hutcheon @paulhutcheon 26 Apr 2015
    Jim Murphy told the Sunday Times today there are around 15,000 members of @scottishlabour – he said 19,000 a few months back

Reporting Scotland, 30 Apr 2015:

Jim Murphy: “The Scottish Labour Party figures are about 20,000 and growing.”

Sally Magnusson: “7,000 of these are social club members, of course.”

Jim: *says stuff about how proud all these imaginary Labour members are*

Sally: “I take it from that that you’re not at a 15-year high.”

Jim: “We are actually. Over 20,000.”
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Charles said:

SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

Check previous polls.Generally the retention is 80-90%.It used to be higher before the Independence campaign.
    Sure. But you stated, with such confidence, something so complacent that you needed pulling up for your own good. Mebbe it's an outlier. Mebbe it's not.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    is there any betting on the question time event like for the earlier debates?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

c.20% of Labour voters from 2010 in Kent, Essex, South Yorkshire, are likely to go to UKIP.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282

SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

You are in for a shock.
    Is Mori an outlier or is the 5% Con lead the shape of things to come in the last week?if so the Tories are nearly there-316 seats on UNS.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB ·
    Given that both Daves', Cameron and Dimbleby are Bullingdon Club members should one or both declare an interest?

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I think SMukesh makes a decent assessment of the MORI poll tbh. There just way too many variables about that sample which seem 'off'. I don't see where else Labour are going to significantly lose support other that Scotland, and it's been pretty well documented the UKIP effect on Labour is generally limited. The Green figure is something that I pretty much doubt will come to fruition - does anyone really think the Greens, who have generally struggled in the polls this campaign will suddenly poll 8%? I think some of that sample may well move to Labour. I also think the 63% figure is highly unusual, and that you can't really take much from it until we see other firms show the same. Likewise with the Tories leading in London, which is something I wouldn't bet on at all - generally polling has shown Labour to be doing pretty well in London.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SMukesh said:

Charles said:

SMukesh said:

Outlier from MORI.

So these things change over time, do they? So perhaps MORI has identified a change?

Instead of nit-picking just rejoice, and congratulate our pollsters.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,308
    Aren't we due Survation (Mirror) tonight?
  • Options
    I also hear before 2010 weighting,Lab was up 3 in COMRES nationwide rather than tied with the Tories.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Charles

Since our quick chat about the Garden Bridge I haven't been on at the same time as you. I can't get to London that evening so will have to pass on the kind offer, even if it would have cost a donation!

No problem!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    My FIL was a leading member of his local Conservative Club in Heworth, Gateshead. He paid his dues and played snooker every night. And he voted Labour as did everyone else.

He was also the local branch sec for his union. The Conservative Club had the best facilities and within walking distance of his house. Social clubs are no yardstick for anything.

Jim Murphy told the Sunday Times today there are around 15,000 members of @scottishlabour – he said 19,000 a few months back

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2015
    Good evening all. And to those PBers that wished me happy birthday today, a big thanks and a hug, although JackW might not appreciate it. (the hug I mean) ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    FPT Tyson

"Watching C4 news on immigration, you cannot help but feel that there is a large slice of poor, alienated whites that are angry, and for good reason."

Read what happened to them during the Lady Porter/Mrs Thatcher era. They were shipped out of Westminster wholesale to secure a Tory majority. Ask anyone living in Westminster as I was what was going on. From Old Compton St to the Savoy every shop doorway had someone living in a cardboard box.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/sleaze-scandal-strips-dame-shirley-porter-of-her-title-94961.html

PS I did think the expose on Cameron senior was below the belt
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles

No problem!
    Can I attend to give a contrary voice? ;-)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Coming to a TV near you in a few minutes .... multiple gasms, but will it be a :

Camgasm or Miligasm or a Cleggasm
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    MikeK said:

Good evening all. And to those PBers that wished me happy birthday today, a big thanks and a hug, although JackW might not appreciate it. (the hug I mean) ;)

Oh Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    The Farage QT was pre recorded so he wont be discussing the other debate.. bit odd that?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Child Benefit is the first question...lol!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

You and other PBers may hug me or my ARSE

I'm that sort of chap ....

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197
    Dave looks up for this tonight.
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    Plato said:

My FIL was a leading member of his local Conservative Club in Heworth, Gateshead. He paid his dues and played snooker every night. And he voted Labour as did everyone else.

He was also the local branch sec for his union. The Conservative Club had the best facilities and within walking distance of his house. Social clubs are no yardstick for anything.

I doubt if we will ever get true figures as to SLABs actual membership. I think it is safe to assume that it continues to fall on Murphy's watch though. It wouldn't surprise me to see even the endangered Scots Tories overtaking them in members. :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Roger said:

FPT Tyson

"Watching C4 news on immigration, you cannot help but feel that there is a large slice of poor, alienated whites that are angry, and for good reason."

Read what happened to them during the Lady Porter/Mrs Thatcher era. They were shipped out of Westminster wholesale to secure a Tory majority. Ask anyone living in Westminster as I was what was going on. From Old Compton St to the Savoy every shop doorway had someone living in a cardboard box.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/sleaze-scandal-strips-dame-shirley-porter-of-her-title-94961.html

PS I did think the expose on Cameron senior was below the belt

Ditto on Cameron. Just seemed nasty and vindictive going for his dad's will and too personal.
    There is so much more to attack Cameron on, not his family inheritance.

I think Porter's social cleansing marked a low point for the Tories, and that is saying alot

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Happy Birthday to MikeK.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Nice and simple, unequivocal answer.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,893
    edited April 2015
    SMukesh said:

I also hear before 2010 weighting,Lab was up 3 in COMRES nationwide rather than tied with the Tories.

Then look at the tabs and see if you're right. No point saying 'I hear yada yada yada.'
  • Options

Nice and simple, unequivocal answer.
    I agree, he's started well.
  • Options
    Confident start from Dave
  • Options
    Oof !
  • Options
    Here's the note!
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Looking forward to the 'Leaders Special' made up of the leaders of England's 1st, 2nd and 4th biggest parties on current opinion polling ;-)
  • Options
    Within the strictures of a non debate format this alternative of extensive audience questions and reaction is lively and quite spontaneous.
  • Options
    "I have in my hand a piece of paper..."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    JackW said:

Coming to a TV near you in a few minutes .... multiple gasms, but will it be a :

Or an apathyism?
    A rather-be-watching-the-other-channelism?
    A they're-as-bad-as-each-otherism?

I think you missed my predictions this morning, the Jessop Integrated Summing Mechanism (JISM), which will overtake your ARSE to become the outstanding electorate prediction benchmark.
  • Options
    isam said:

Chortle .... :smile:

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Dave is pretty good at this stuff.
  • Options
    isam said:

That thought occurred to me when I saw him do it on the six o'clock news.
  • Options
    Cam on fire!
  • Options
    This is a great format.
  • Options
    Con audience giving good applause.
  • Options
    All those CameronDirects show here in spades.
    Pong said:

Dave is pretty good at this stuff.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JackW said:

Or an apathyism?
    A rather-be-watching-the-other-channelism?
    A they're-as-bad-as-each-otherism?

I think you missed my predictions this morning, the Jessop Integrated Summing Mechanism (JISM), which will overtake your ARSE to become the outstanding electorate prediction benchmark.
    This just gets worse. Do I need to introduce you to Fox's Universal Constituency Knowledge?
  • Options
    "People have been killed by the bedroom tax".

?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    DC impressive i think.
  • Options

JackW said:

Others come and go but there will always be my ARSE.

• Options
    DC right that it's a better format than the debates, that's fa shiz. Proper town hall stuff.
  • Options
    Fierce audience!

• Options
    DC all over the place on this tax law stuff. It's such a load of guff.
  • Options
    Saving 1 in every 100 pounds is a good line.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely shocked that most of the questions to Dave from the BBC audience have been hostile.

Shocked, I tell you.
  • Options

Saving 1 in every 100 pounds is a good line.

It is.

But £30bn is more than £1 in £100!
  • Options
    tim has spontaneously combusted... (wherever he is)
  • Options
    It's wonderful to watch without sound, and Cammo is already sweaty and puce cheeked. The monsters (with one or two exceptions) in the audience must come from dregs. Where did the BBC find them? They must have made a special effort.
  • Options

I'm absolutely shocked that most of the questions to Dave from the BBC audience have been hostile.

Shocked, I tell you.

Probably better for him that they are, as he's dealing with them well and it's making him look good.
  • Options

Shocked, I tell you.

I reckon that helps. He gets to sound more reasonable than the people asking the questions.
  • Options
    Dave should put the national debt on Hosie retaining Dundee East I reckon. 1% in 7 days. Guaranteed.
  • Options
    If Labour do lose the election, why can I see some Labour people making sure Liam Byrne sleeps with the fishes?
  • Options
    No surprises at such a hostile audience. It really is absurd.
  • Options
    This QT is the very antitheses of a debate. The usual load of bollocks.
  • Options

Shocked, I tell you.

Probably better for him that they are, as he's dealing with them well and it's making him look good.
    I agree.
  • Options

Shocked, I tell you.

So they should be.

They are there to be tested to within an inch of their majorities.

• Options
    How the hell has Clegg managed to wangle equal time as Cam and Miliband in this set up?

Absolutely incredible
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Cameron wants to catch the tax avoiders. Guff.
  • Options
    Quite, like other PBers I've done town hall debates with similarly hostile types and never lost the silent majority vote. Big mouths go too far too often.

Shocked, I tell you.

I reckon that helps. He gets to sound more reasonable than the people asking the questions.
  • Options
    This past 20 mins has show that those who called for Cam to get all Major soap box were right.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Others come and go but there will always be my ARSE.

I raise you Wardman's Advanced Nebulous Knowledge, which is so nebulous it can agree with all the opinion polls at once.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

If Labour do lose the election, why can I see some Labour people making sure Liam Byrne sleeps with the fishes?

TSE - if they lose this one from here, any surviving members of the Shadow Cabinet will be sent to sleep with the fishes while Dennis Skinner is called on to sort out the mess. Remember, they are now firmly expecting to win even though it will be with the SNP's backing. Disappointment will not sit well with them...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Shocked, I tell you.

So they should be.

They are there to be tested to within an inch of their majorities.

I agree, I hope they are as suitably hostile to Ed.
  • Options
    isam said:

How the hell has Clegg managed to wangle equal time as Cam and Miliband in this set up?

Absolutely incredible

Anything the BBC can do to crush UKIP they will do.
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited April 2015
    thought he was going to add wales on to portugal and greece there.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I want a hostile audience.

We don't want 90 minutes of puff and an easy time for the three leaders.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MikeK said:

Your lip-reading skills must be of a high order.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Has Lynton got Sam Cam locked up? Dave has got more intensity than usual.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    Unfotunately watching Star Trek...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Happy birthday to Mike - 21 again, for the 60th time.
  • Options
    isam said:

Absolutely incredible

Shocking that Farage wasn't offered the same gig. Are we a democratic country or not?
  • Options
    Looks v hot on that stage, quite glad Nigel swerved it!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Shocked, I tell you.

Agreed. The patball questions in the Sky Debate did him no good. Hostile questions dealt with, honestly, are much more persuasive.
    It is far and away the best format so far.
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Plato said:

I want a hostile audience.

We don't want 90 minutes of puff and an easy time for the three leaders.

I'm amazed that an audience with 75% people not voting for him are hostile. Utterly shocked.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Your lip-reading skills must be of a high order.
    They are.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    If you like him he's impressive. If you don't he just seems completely fake and not very likeable.

Blair used to be good at this.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

zzzzzzzzzzz

Check your inbox
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Net migration! He can't control that.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Just called the UK the EU...
  • Options
    Cam also gets the best slot: first up, straight after Eastenders. They'll be bored by the time Clegg's on.
This discussion has been closed.