Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov Scotland polls see Labour fail to improve

13»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    The thing is, I do care.
    Jobs aren't just numbers to be waved about to cover the stink of a society that is rotting.

No, they are not just numbers. Every one is a human being saved from despair, depression and, very probably, bad health.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe.

Not at all.

I know the appeal is emotional. I know the numbers don't add up, they never did, but...

...when the numbers were more favourable, the Nats were all over this forum chanting GERS, GERS, GERS.

Now that the GERS numbers have moved, not necessarily to their advantage, they are conspicuous by their absence. That's all
    You're right that Scotland would have to get its financial house in order post independence. I've never denied that, but that's a big reason for me to support independence. As a right of centre voter, it would force Scotland in a rightwards direction. This crackpot idea that everything would remain the same in Scotland with the dominance of the left is utter nonsense. Everything moves over time, and a more rightward leaning Scotland on an even financial keel would be an exciting place to be once they've got themselves sorted out after the inevitable immediate shakeup of independence.
    A rational libertarian viewpoint would be that the prospect of a proper libertarian tradition being established in the Corporatist United Kingdom is very unlikely, as such Independence offers a better possibility of this outcome.

No guarantees, no certainties but as a Game, for a libertarian, Independence offers the best outcome.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

DavidL said:

There were more than a few hints of what Balls thought in that New Statesman interview. The comment about just going for a walk not meeting people, for example.

He is struggling to contain himself I feel.

Yes, it was a very interesting article. Of course, Balls has scarcely bothered to hide his contempt for Ed M for the last couple of years, but that looked very much as though he's on manoeuvres. It might be as much trying to protect his position as Chancellor if Labour do get to form the next government, or it might be more than that.
    Ed had the chance to put Balls as Shadow Chancellor when he became leader. Instead he chose Westminster's answer to Ken Dodd. If thats not contempt I do not know what is.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015

If EdM had any connection with reality he would go big on 'fairness'.

The ideas that wealth is increasingly concentrated among the 1% whilst the same fatcats are immune from the law are very aggravating to the C1C2 group (plus many others).

Instead we get increasingly idiotic ideas of micro-managing meddling madness.

Which nobody believes anyway.

I think this is very true. I think it more than ever it resonants outside of your old school SWP / trot lot these days, even your Thatcher voting "strivers" are pretty pissed off with the feeling of unfairness and increasing corruption / un-accountability.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Alistair said:

The Tory Surge (TM) Would give them 6 seats under SMAPS

Dumfries & Galloway
    Berwickshire Roxburgh & Selkirk
    Dumfriesshire Clydesdale & Tweeddale
    Perth & North Perthshire
    Angus
    and
    Banff & Buchan

When you think that 20% only got the SNP 6 seats last time and 19% got the LDs 11 then anything could happen.

I can't help thinking that a lot of Scottish voters and quite a few English ones might find their heads exploding as they approach the polling station.

If the Tories win any one of Perth, Angus or Banff and Buchan then I'll eat a straw hat. All 3 are as safe as houses for the SNP. Berwickshire is an interesting one and probably the most likely in my opinion. SNP to come through from 3rd in both Aberdeenshire W and Kincardine, and Dumfries and Galloway in my opinion right now. Best case scenario for the Tories is 2 seats with Mundell hanging on, but you've got to doubt that after the Ashcroft poll in DCT.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dair said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe.

Not at all.

I know the appeal is emotional. I know the numbers don't add up, they never did, but...

...when the numbers were more favourable, the Nats were all over this forum chanting GERS, GERS, GERS.

Now that the GERS numbers have moved, not necessarily to their advantage, they are conspicuous by their absence. That's all
    You're right that Scotland would have to get its financial house in order post independence. I've never denied that, but that's a big reason for me to support independence. As a right of centre voter, it would force Scotland in a rightwards direction. This crackpot idea that everything would remain the same in Scotland with the dominance of the left is utter nonsense. Everything moves over time, and a more rightward leaning Scotland on an even financial keel would be an exciting place to be once they've got themselves sorted out after the inevitable immediate shakeup of independence.
    A rational libertarian viewpoint would be that the prospect of a proper libertarian tradition being established in the Corporatist United Kingdom is very unlikely, as such Independence offers a better possibility of this outcome.

No guarantees, no certainties but as a Game, for a libertarian, Independence offers the best outcome.
    Libertarian Scotland ? You can't even sing a song about sky fairies at the football without getting locked up and I read that the Scottish police were today spending their time investigating a whether a tweet that suggested Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars might have been homosexual was offensive or not. Now that's libertarian.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

The current price of oil will scupper another vote any time soon.

The SNPers have been awfy quiet on the GERS numbers...
    And there is a recognised cycle of 309 years alternating back and forth between Union and Independence in Scotland. Now do some maths - what does 1707 and 309 give you? On the cycle model its time for independence.
    I've never heard of that cycle before, can you give some details.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Smarmeron said:

@DavidL
    No one really dies if they leave something like this.

"It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it. "

Or
    "The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head."

RIP
  • Options
    Dair said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

Not at all.

Absolutely. You've made my point perfectly Dair, and much more succintly than me!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

The ideas that wealth is increasingly concentrated among the 1%

Ed is the 1%.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    And freed from poverty as well?
    You couldn't give a damn Richard, as long as your nest gets more feathering, because you and your friends believe in the simple principle that you are not paid enough, and those "below" you are paid far to much.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ed is the 1%.

I bet less than 1% of voters have 2 kitchens.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

The young muslim lady in the audience is proving Farage's point here.

I really do worry for this country's future.

She has just painted a big target on herself for GCHQ.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    At least we know what Dave is offering. More "cast iron guarantees" and to give those at the bottom another good kicking.

Those at the bottom will, I am afraid, get a hell of a lot bigger kicking under Ed Miliband than under a Conservative-led government. You probably haven't noticed that we have generated more jobs than every single other country in the EU combined. Or maybe you don't care?
    The answer to your question is - he doesn't care. When confronted by the truth invent a lie is the easiest answer.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    TGOHF said:

I know.

He's super-privileged and super wealthy. Nationally and globally.

He's a phoney.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    You couldn't give a damn Richard, as long as your nest gets more feathering, because you and your friends believe in the simple principle that you are not paid enough, and those "below" you are paid far to much.

You illustrate why Labour will lose. You think that centre right voters are all evil baby eaters - Blair didn't that's why he won.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

And there is a recognised cycle of 309 years alternating back and forth between Union and Independence in Scotland. Now do some maths - what does 1707 and 309 give you? On the cycle model its time for independence.
    I've never heard of that cycle before, can you give some details.

Martin Armstong had an article on it at the time of Scottish independence vote on www.armstrongeconomics.com - although an American, his family traces back to Scotland and he was in the pro-independence camp last September. I think partly because the cycle is very much running with the grain of independence right now.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    chestnut said:

Ed is the 1%.

He's one of the .1%
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe. And there is a recognised cycle of 309 years alternating back and forth between Union and Independence in Scotland. Now do some maths - what does 1707 and 309 give you? On the cycle model its time for independence. And turn down the global economy after the end of September this year, and you have the perfect recipe for Scotland finally being granted its wish of independence. Its coming and its only a matter of time whatever the diehard unionists on here think. Bring it on - Scotland can do very well on its own thank you very much!
    For some people, it is an emotional issue, but for others practical issues are also important. Concerns about the currency were one of the factors that led to 'No' coming out on top. In the last referendum, the SNP was able to talk about maintaining current budgets and bringing in a sovereign wealth fund. If a referendum was on the cards now, then the low oil price would mean that an independent Scotland would have to make cuts off the bat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Oh Lucy...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Ah, a true lefty. Having lost the argument, you have to resort to attacking my personal integrity.

It's so reassuring to have confirmation of how utterly rooted in vile prejudice the anti-Conservative vote is.

As a matter of interest, how much do you think I am paid, compared with (say) Mr or Mrs Miliband? And who do you think pays me?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

Not at all.

Libertarian Scotland ? You can't even sing a song about sky fairies at the football without getting locked up and I read that the Scottish police were today spending their time investigating a whether a tweet that suggested Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars might have been homosexual was offensive or not. Now that's libertarian.
    I'm not sure if you are deliberately missing my point.

I'll try again. In the United Kingdom where there is an entrenched Corporatist culture in politics and society, which is unerodable and virtually impossible to remove, the chance of a libertarian future is nil.

Therefore, if you are in Scotland and seek a libertarian future, there is a far higher probability of achieving that outcome through Independence.

Some chance is better than no chance.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

I know.

He's super-privileged and super wealthy. Nationally and globally.

He's a phoney.
    Normal people don't expect to walk into cushy jobs at Harvard, when they fail at politics.
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

Not at all.

I'll try again. In the United Kingdom where there is an entrenched Corporatist culture in politics and society, which is unerodable and virtually impossible to remove, the chance of a libertarian future is nil.

Therefore, if you are in Scotland and seek a libertarian future, there is a far higher probability of achieving that outcome through Independence.

This "Scotland is intrinsically better just because right " argument is baffling..
  • Options
    @TGOHF
    I am not referring to "centre right" voters, I am referring to those like you, who would only eat babies if it was served in a flash restaurant at an outrageous price so you could boast about it at your next dinner party.
  • Options
    Good night all - by my reckoning 1,343 hours until the results will start to come in. I can't wait, lets just get what will be a wretched campaign and those hours out of the way before we can have much merryment and fun at the completely deserved demise of SLAB!!!!!!
  • Options
    Will Self, Shirley Williams and Chuka Umuna next week.

Sweet Jesus.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

This "Scotland is intrinsically better just because right " argument is baffling..

It's just Nationalism. Tribalism on a grand scale. We're better than them, whoever they are. Our club is better than your club.

Slightly tragic how many people fall for it
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

That's not my point.

Scotland may well end up with the same Corporatist culture that currently exists in the United Kingdom. But it is by no means CERTAIN to do. The UK will certainly have a Corporatist culture in 50 years.

There is no guarantee for an Independent Scotland.

There is no divine right of being better.

There is, however, an opportunity which the United Kingdom does not offer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sweet Jesus.

But wait, there's more...

@KirstieMAllsopp: Yes, next week for the 5th time in 9 years I am sticking my head in the mouth of the lion that is @bbcquestiontime #StillTerrifying
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Sweet Jesus.

Redressing the balance due to right wing bias this week?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Interesting Channel 5 1 hour program on Savile at 8pm tonight. They kept their cards pretty close to their chest on most stuff, but they did have one of many photos of Prince Charles with Savile which I thought was very interesting. They stopped short of examining the links between Savile and the Royal Family, but the insinuation was clearly there - probably edited about as close to the wire as they dared to get - gradually the great contours of this crisis are slowly lapping more and more closely to the people at the very very top.

And the US Government blew up the World Trade Centre too. Personally I'm convinced you're a hologram.
  • Options
    Dair said:

That's not my point.

Scotland may well end up

SNIP

an opportunity which the United Kingdom does not offer.

Guff
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF
    I am not referring to "centre right" voters, I am referring to those like you, who would only eat babies if it was served in a flash restaurant at an outrageous price so you could boast about it at your next dinner party.

As long as it wasn't a working class baby - it would be stringy and riddled with AIDS and heroin.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

It's just Nationalism. Tribalism on a grand scale. We're better than them, whoever they are. Our club is better than your club.

I'm not making that argument.

There is no reason to believe that people in Scotland or England are better in any way than each other. None at all.

There is, however, in the United Kingdom and entrenched Corporatist system which is never likely to change. Independence offers the chance to leave it behind.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sweet Jesus.

Redressing the balance due to right wing bias this week?
    What, Anna Soubry :P ?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ed is the 1%.

Indeed.

But whereas some of the 1% do have genuine empathy with those less privileged EdM doesn't.

That's why EdM so often rings a 'false note'.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

I'm not making that argument.

There is no reason to believe that people in Scotland or England are better in any way than each other. None at all.

There is, however, in the United Kingdom and entrenched Corporatist system which is never likely to change. Independence offers the chance to leave it behind.
    Shetland would have a better chance of that if not saddled with the entrenched public sector system of the central belt by your logic.
  • Options
    What's all this about two kitchens ?

Does EdM or someone else have two kitchens ?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The eighth Star Wars move will premiere on May 26, 2017, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

A spin-off called "rogue One" is set for release in December 2016
  • Options
    @TGOHF
    The rarer the species, the tastier it is?
    How much would you pay for a roast royal I wonder?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    hunchman said:

TGOHF said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent: 'Miliband promises law to cut energy bills by up to 10 per cent' http://t.co/iwivMhm1Wg http://t.co/XoCR91Lw6P

What a wimp. A Real Man would promise a law to cut energy bills by at least 20%, and rents by 50%, and iPhones by 60%, and trainers by 80%, and child-care by 90%.
    Every time I get depressed about the Tories not making sufficient progress in the polls he comes up with something even more bizarre and just plain stupid. I am seriously beginning to wonder if he really wants to win.
    Ed Balls gives every sign that he realises that the global economy turns down after the end of September, like he foresaw 2008 after pushing for the election that never was in the autumn of 2007. Its our version of the 1928 US presidential election.
    Don't tell me - "it's a good election to lose"

Like 2010 - but that didn't do Labour any good - if anything they have gone backwards.
    I'm glad I'm free of any party label, but quite what I'm going to do in 8 weeks time I've got no idea. I simply can't vote Conservative - the disgraceful goings on with the child abuse inquiry, and appointing someone who was a close friend of Leon Brittan was simply the final straw for me. And after Farage's comments today on removing much of the anti-discrimination laws I simply can't vote UKIP. UKIP started out as a pretty libertarian party but have become more and more authoritarian as time has gone on like the establishment parties. Who the heck does a Libertarian vote for if its only the main 5 parties in England standing in a seat at this election? It would be highly regrettable if I have to spoil my ballot paper if no Libertarian leaning candidate stands in Romsey, but I may be forced to do it - I hope not!
    See PR has its advantages. Your vote is not wasted !
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF

I wouldn't eat my own family. All us toffs are inbred don't cha know.
  • Options

@GdnPolitics: Kitchen sink drama for Miliband as homely photo backfires http://t.co/j7bXCj7sLl
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

chestnut said:

Ed is the 1%.

Indeed.

But whereas some of the 1% do have genuine empathy with those less privileged EdM doesn't.

That's why EdM so often rings a 'false note'.
    How was Eds programme on BBC3 earlier? I missed it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

It's a FREEZE, No I mean CAP, no hang on CUT!!!!

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent: 'Miliband promises law to cut energy bills by up to 10 per cent' http://t.co/iwivMhm1Wg http://t.co/XoCR91Lw6P

0.001% comes within "up to". Here's your farthing; the rest is an aspiration....

I'm beginning to think that, really, Ed is actually that dumb. Those close to him say he is a bright, personable guy. If so, his minders have done a fabulous job of shielding us all from it.

• Options
    edited March 2015

Eds human shield week featured a picture of him in a small kitchen to look more like a man of the people.

Turns out it is just one of the kitchens in Chateaux Miliband- Thornton.
  • Options
    @TGOHF
    I thought they had stopped the interbreeding and relied on privilege to carry on their stupidity?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

EdM promises to cut Roman Abramovich's energy bills by 10%.

BTW Is EdM still promising to reinstate child benefit for Roman Abramovich ?

EdM thinks the answer to everything that doesn't go his way is to make a law. debates - change the law, energy freeze fail - change the law, next he will make it illegal to vote tory
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

EdM thinks the answer to everything that doesn't go his way is to make a law. debates - change the law, energy freeze fail - change the law, next he will make it illegal to vote tory
    As long as I get my owl, I will be happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

I think that is what scares me about Miliband....10 years of Ed and the amount of laws he will have passed will make Brown's messing up the tax system seem like small fry. He really does seem to believe not in the "nudge effect", but the only way to fix anything is via a new law.

The few times I have been really impressed by the Coalition is when they have done the opposite e.g. when there were those shooting, they said right lets wait and see, lets find out what went on and why, and would any change in the law make any difference. The answer was actually no, actually it would just throw the baby out with the bath water to totally over haul the laws and still not likely stop one nutter, while most likely impacting the tiny number of gun owners. So the best thing to do is actually nothing.
  • Options
    From the poll

The poll shows that 37 per cent of Scots believe that if the Nationalists win a large number of Labour seats, it makes a Conservative government more likely. Just 13 per cent think it makes a Labour government more likely. In addition, 37 per cent of Scots now think Labour would be more effective at stopping the Tories, with 36 per cent thinking the SNP would be better. This is a significant shift from the last poll, which put the numbers at 33 and 43 per cent respectively.
  • Options
    From the poll

The poll shows that 37 per cent of Scots believe that if the Nationalists win a large number of Labour seats, it makes a Conservative government more likely. Just 13 per cent think it makes a Labour government more likely. In addition, 37 per cent of Scots now think Labour would be more effective at stopping the Tories, with 36 per cent thinking the SNP would be better. This is a significant shift from the last poll, which put the numbers at 33 and 43 per cent respectively.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    Poor Charles Kennedy that's all you can say really. How bad will he feel in the morning?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2015
    hunchman said:

TGOHF said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

What a wimp. A Real Man would promise a law to cut energy bills by at least 20%, and rents by 50%, and iPhones by 60%, and trainers by 80%, and child-care by 90%.
    Every time I get depressed about the Tories not making sufficient progress in the polls he comes up with something even more bizarre and just plain stupid. I am seriously beginning to wonder if he really wants to win.
    Ed Balls gives every sign that he realises that the global economy turns down after the end of September, like he foresaw 2008 after pushing for the election that never was in the autumn of 2007. Its our version of the 1928 US presidential election.
    Don't tell me - "it's a good election to lose"

Like 2010 - but that didn't do Labour any good - if anything they have gone backwards.
    I'm glad I'm free of any party label, but quite what I'm going to do in 8 weeks time I've got no idea. I simply can't vote Conservative - the disgraceful goings on with the child abuse inquiry, and appointing someone who was a close friend of Leon Brittan was simply the final straw for me. And after Farage's comments today on removing much of the anti-discrimination laws I simply can't vote UKIP. UKIP started out as a pretty libertarian party but have become more and more authoritarian as time has gone on like the establishment parties. Who the heck does a Libertarian vote for if its only the main 5 parties in England standing in a seat at this election? It would be highly regrettable if I have to spoil my ballot paper if no Libertarian leaning candidate stands in Romsey, but I may be forced to do it - I hope not!
    Forgive me, but I can't understand the logic here. Isn't cutting e.g. employment legislation exactly what you'd expect a libertarian party to do? I do feel that the libertarian fringe within UKIP has been muscled out, but though it was not that big in the first place. The example you are giving, though, seems a non sequitur.

As for "close friend of Leon Brittan" - is that really a fair criticism? "Someone who knew Leon Brittan", definitely fair enough. "Close friend"? Dunno, have to admit I wasn't following this whole unseemly business that closely, but that isn't my own hazy recollection.

EDIT: sympathise with the not-knowing-who-to-vote-for decision, albeit from a different angle.
  • Options
    isam said:

Poor Charles Kennedy that's all you can say really. How bad will he feel in the morning?

Depends what kind of malt he has on his cornflakes I suppose - a nice Islay and it could be a sunny day.
  • Options
    isam said:

I cannot see him putting up much fight for his seat. Time to retire to the HoL wine cellar.
  • Options
    isam said:

Depends what kind of malt he has on his cornflakes I suppose - a nice Islay and it could be a sunny day.
  • Options

From the poll

What does that mean? Are Scots voting SNP because it makes Tory government more likely? If so is it because they want financial rectitude? Or is it because "the worse, the better"?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Just watching QT (i only watch it around election times, or boring and packed with party supporters outside of elections). Yes Kennedy doesnt look too well, certainly a bit sauced up. Lucy Lips, oh my. Terrible. For someone managing an election campaign, why would she want to draw attention to the tory poster campaigns, when they are hitting home??

Saubry, yes the indignation looks a bit faux.
  • Options

From the poll

What does that mean? Are Scots voting SNP because it makes Tory government more likely? If so is it because they want financial rectitude? Or is it because "the worse, the better"?
    I think it means Labour's message of vote Lab to stop the Tories has some potential.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: Kitchen sink drama for Miliband as homely photo backfires http://t.co/j7bXCj7sLl
    A second kitchen next to the sitting room for tea and quick snacks? Jeez.

Oh, to live in the rarified world of the uber rich London politician.
  • Options

You can't expect the butler to walk all the way downstairs to the kitchen
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am sure the conversation topics over a cuppa in the 2nd kitchen would be right up your street.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Richard Rogers ‏@oowmygawd 3m3 minutes ago
    In 2014 I put a £20 bet @ 100/1 with local bookie on UKIP winning 50-100 seats in May, tonight in the pub he offered to put it back for £500
  • Options
    Ed "2 kitchens" Miliband reminds me of the John Prescott story repeated recently (which may of course be apocryphal)

The story goes he was interviewed by local press, and mentioned his favourite chippy, where he went for lunch very day.

A rival chippy was very put out by this story, because JP visited them every day for lunch, and could not understand why the story featured the wrong chip shop.

The denouement came when it was (allegedly) revealed he visited both establishments every day to save the embarrassment of ordering the same thing twice in one place
  • Options
    @BethRigby: Alan Johnson thinks Miliband should rule out SNP coalition: it's the right thing to do #bbctw
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

But what about my second kitchen?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am sure the conversation topics over a cuppa in the 2nd kitchen would be right up your street.
    The worlds dullest stag night, energy taxes and wonkishness. What's not to like?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    notme said:

Just watching QT (i only watch it around election times, or boring and packed with party supporters outside of elections). Yes Kennedy doesnt look too well, certainly a bit sauced up. Lucy Lips, oh my. Terrible. For someone managing an election campaign, why would she want to draw attention to the tory poster campaigns, when they are hitting home??

I hope with all my heart that Nearly Headless Nick gets his head back in place, and Soubry loses hers.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

notme said:

I hope with all my heart that Nearly Headless Nick gets his head back in place, and Soubry loses hers.
    No, after his sickening comments following the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, he should never be allowed anywhere near public office again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ed "2 kitchens" Miliband reminds me of the John Prescott story repeated recently (which may of course be apocryphal)

The story goes he was interviewed by local press, and mentioned his favourite chippy, where he went for lunch very day.

A rival chippy was very put out by this story, because JP visited them every day for lunch, and could not understand why the story featured the wrong chip shop.

The denouement came when it was (allegedly) revealed he visited both establishments every day to save the embarrassment of ordering the same thing twice in one place

As folks used to say here when a criminal was about to be electrocuted - Fry Him!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

MikeK said:

notme said:

No, after his sickening comments following the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, he should never be allowed anywhere near public office again.
    I believe Soubry claims less in expenses too.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

Milliband will enable a law forcing Smallbone to build you one, for tea and snacks. Is there space next to your sitting room?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

Milliband will enable a law forcing Smallbone to build you one, for tea and snacks. Is there space next to your sitting room?
    Only in next door's garden. I demand a judge-led inquiry.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

As folks used to say here when a criminal was about to be electrocuted - Fry Him!
    Im surprised that a picture hasnt already surfaced of his real kitchen.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

If the house has two bathrooms and is near the station, when he and Justine sell it they can advertise it as -

two loos low trek
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

You joke, but remember he has promised all these jobs / apprentices for all...they will have to find something to do, 2nd kitchens seem a good start.

Oh s##t I might actually be filling in his blank page, with the "60 minute makeover" policy...every household is entitled to a free 60 minute makeover of their home.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,309
    Tim_B said:

The eighth Star Wars move will premiere on May 26, 2017, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

"We're going in full throttle. That ought to keep those Tories off our back!"
    "Ed, at that speed, will we be able to pull out in time?
    "It'll be just like Romanian Beggar's Canyon back home!"
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2015
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

He is not as left wing lunatic as he was and he has the extremely unusual attribute for SLAB of a functioning brain. He really stands out.

I would rather vote for Alison McGovern.

I saw her give a brilliant speech in the HoC. The content was absolute garbage, but she was articulate, passionate and engaging. Which makes her stand out amongst the Labour benches.
    Is she not English, the Wirral or something? Now speaks on education? Definitely not SLAB.
    Articulate, as in can put two wirdz tugedder. (^_-)

Her grandad wrote this corker.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUl9HaFbN8
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Cameron adopts the language of Ed Miliband

David Cameron insists EU referendum could prove pivotal for Britain

Prime minister claims the country is currently ‘sleepwalking towards the exit’ but plays down suggestions that the referendum could come as early as 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/12/david-cameron-insists-eu-referendum-could-prove-pivotal-for-britain

Will we be able to distinguish between the two of them by the end of the election?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Prime minister claims the country is currently ‘sleepwalking towards the exit’ but plays down suggestions that the referendum could come as early as 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/12/david-cameron-insists-eu-referendum-could-prove-pivotal-for-britain

Will we be able to distinguish between the two of them by the end of the election?

The one legislating left right and center is Ed. ;)
  • Options

Yes the one that doesn't soil himself while putting his trousers on back to front will be David Cameron.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

"We're going in full throttle. That ought to keep those Tories off our back!"
    "Ed, at that speed, will we be able to pull out in time?
    "It'll be just like Romanian Beggar's Canyon back home!"
    I didn't realize they had trains in Star Wars, particularly in Romanian Beggar's Canyon :D
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2015
    MikeK said:

Richard Rogers ‏@oowmygawd 3m3 minutes ago
    In 2014 I put a £20 bet @ 100/1 with local bookie on UKIP winning 50-100 seats in May, tonight in the pub he offered to put it back for £500

50-100 seats is about a 50/1 shot right now. That would make his £20 bet worth, umm, £40?

Someone's telling porkies.
  • Options
    notme said:

Yes the one that doesn't soil himself while putting his trousers on back to front will be David Cameron.
    Is Cameron still putting his trousers on back to front? You'd have thought Sam would have helped with that :p
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

notme said:

Is Cameron still putting his trousers on back to front? You'd have thought Sam would have helped with that :p
    Every time Sam helps him he gets excited and he can't pull his trousers up all the way :p
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, ELBOW crossover now seems pretty much nailed on. Labour would probably need to have 3/4-point leads in all remaining polls or something to avoid it.

Con lead 1.2% in this week's polls up to and including Ipsos MORI. Need latest YG tables, but assuming 1300 sample giving a VI, should remain 1.1% Tory lead - until Populus of course!
  • Options

SeanT said:

My creepily identical twin sister, S K Tremayne, has just sold her soul to Hollywood, according to industry rumours.

http://t.co/aTUuj1o9xm

For shame.

Heh.

Congrats. Just be psychologically prepared for them to turn it into a musical...

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty!
    Come and join the Tremayne Party!"
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Every time Sam helps him he gets excited and he can't pull his trousers up all the way :p
    Oh gawd!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Oh gawd!
    Of course, he could just have a stiff drink....
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Oh gawd!
    Of course, he could just have a stiff drink....
    I find that hard to swallow :lol:
  • Options
    I hear the cloakroom is open, so you two can both collect your coats ;)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:

Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF

I wouldn't eat my own family. All us toffs are inbred don't cha know.
    are you saying you wouldn't eat them but you would...?
    Scott_P said:

Old labour vs New labour encapsulated. I know which one I prefer!

• Options
    Settling down with some Blue Nun for a Daily Politics - QT - This Week marathon. This is the life.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

Settling down with some Blue Nun for a Daily Politics - QT - This Week marathon. This is the life.

The ultimate stiff drink, which is very hard to swallow. Just spit it out :smiley:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Curious YouGov poll suggesting voters want to nationalise nearly everything - except
    banks:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/03/12/nationalisation-ideology-beats-pragmatism/

There's also a VI in there - a tie.
This discussion has been closed.