Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov Scotland polls see Labour fail to improve

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    People seem to be piling on Conti tommorow - I'm not convinced, he's great for King George but he doesn't like the Hill.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    WiIl Ed Miliband have fewer Labour MPs than kitchens?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    SeanT said:

My creepily identical twin sister, S K Tremayne, has just sold her soul to Hollywood, according to industry rumours.

http://t.co/aTUuj1o9xm

For shame.

Heh.

Well done.

Does this mean I'll be able to watch the film on television for free in five years time rather than buy the book for a pound next year ?

;-)

BTW I've been rereading The Deceit recently, you books deserve a couple of reads to pick up on all the clues.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

We're probably looking at another independence vote in the next parliament.

Seems impossible to avoid. I just hope the Unionists remain up for the fight and think on situations like the PQ in Canada which might give some hope, as I've had all the fight beaten of me and have pretty much given up on it given the low odds of a new settlement that will please enough people.
    To be honest, I think the rest of Britain at this point wouldn't mind too much if Scotland did go independent. Anecdote alert, but people I know in recent times have been saying things like "if they want to go so much, just let 'em go".
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,974
    Alistair said:

glw said:

Nor is it any surprise that the South Yorkshire plods tolerated it.

Can anyone explain why this government still has trust in the South Yorkshire plods ???

Which ever party or parties form the next government should have a look at restructuring the police forces in England and Wales. Does it really make sense to have 40 odd police forces? Pick the leadership from the best half of the forces and put them in charge of the rest, and cut the numbers down drastically, maybe even follow what has been done in Scotland.
    The policing reform in Scotland has been hugely controversial. I am not sure it has been a good thing.
    It's very difficult to get a balanced picture given the rabidly pro-Union and anti-SNP tone of the London and almost all the Scottish media. But it is clear that a lot of the attacks were sour grapes from other parties. From SLAB it was the usual Bain Principle that whatever the SNP did was always wrong even if it was what they themselves wanted. For instance, Police Scotland seem (with the caveats over their figures) to have reduced knife carrying considerably, which is - effectively - what Labour wanted, and far more importantly the public. There is also the suspicion that certain opposition parties were upset at losing their cosy relationships with, read control over, local polis, with all that that implies. On the other hand, a centralised force is a novelty by UK standards and I also am waiting to see how it pans out before I make up my mind.

However, there were some very small forces and some sort of reform was undoubtedly necessary for economic reasons.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Seems impossible to avoid. I just hope the Unionists remain up for the fight and think on situations like the PQ in Canada which might give some hope, as I've had all the fight beaten of me and have pretty much given up on it given the low odds of a new settlement that will please enough people.
    To be honest, I think the rest of Britain at this point wouldn't mind too much if Scotland did go independent. Anecdote alert, but people I know in recent times have been saying things like "if they want to go so much, just let 'em go".
    But do they want to? Last time they were asked, they said no. Just because a vocal minority want something, doesn't mean it should be done over the wishes of the majority (even when only considering those who vote).
  • Options
    So what will come first?

Another Indyref or an In/Out referendum?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,414
    antifrank said:

@DavidL what would you do if you lived in one of the Edinburgh constituencies?

I could certainly vote for Mark Lazarowicz and I know Tories in Edinburgh who are on a tactical basis. I could have voted for Darling when that was still an option. But the rest of them? Meh. Not in the McGovern class but really not inspirational either.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

glw said:

Nor is it any surprise that the South Yorkshire plods tolerated it.

Can anyone explain why this government still has trust in the South Yorkshire plods ???

Which ever party or parties form the next government should have a look at restructuring the police forces in England and Wales. Does it really make sense to have 40 odd police forces? Pick the leadership from the best half of the forces and put them in charge of the rest, and cut the numbers down drastically, maybe even follow what has been done in Scotland.
    The policing reform in Scotland has been hugely controversial. I am not sure it has been a good thing.
    If you have the time, what were the pros/cons given for amalgamating all of Scotland's police forces into one unit?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2015
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Anyone think Dave (doing one of his broad offers) on say 280/5 seats might offer the Scots an "Austria Hungary solution". Separate nationalities and passports, super devo Max, relocate Trident to Barrow/Pembroke/Falmouth within ten years, just share the Queen, foreign policy and armed forces. (Still no idea how you'd square the Pound as an issue). Discuss? I'm off to bed will catch up in morning.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,974
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

But do they want to? Last time they were asked, they said no. Just because a vocal minority want something, doesn't mean it should be done over the wishes of the majority (even when only considering those who vote).
    Polling of late has shown a majority for indy.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    DavidL said:

But the rest of them? Meh. Not in the McGovern class but really not inspirational either.

I hope Roger doesnt read this post.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

I could certainly vote for Mark Lazarowicz and I know Tories in Edinburgh who are on a tactical basis. I could have voted for Darling when that was still an option. But the rest of them? Meh. Not in the McGovern class but really not inspirational either.
    That's very useful, thank you.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

I could certainly vote for Mark Lazarowicz

Oh dear no. He was bad enough in council
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Another great poll from Scotland. Merely backs up the Ashcroft constituency polling. The die is long cast. And I won't have a shred of sympathy for SLAB. They've taken the voters for granted for far too long and deserve everything and more coming to them in 8 weeks time. Time for a wee dram of my finest Laphroaig!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: Well, that's a surprise.

Not.

(as I think the current vernacular has it)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    glw said:

Alistair said:

Maybe so, but I think we've reached the point where we need a similar scale of reform in England.
    Why would merging forces into massive regional forces help?

Good policing is led by ground level intelligence from frontline intelligence and knowledge of local geaography.

Bad policing is from unaccountable remote ivory towers with internal court politics and empire building.

Some national units for terrorism, cybercrime and complex fraud; but the rest should be led from the front.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

A plurality, and a mixed bag of polls to be fair.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I could certainly vote for Mark Lazarowicz

Oh dear no. He was bad enough in council
    He is not as left wing lunatic as he was and he has the extremely unusual attribute for SLAB of a functioning brain. He really stands out.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Police Scotland seemed like a good idea years ago. Most major budget civilian areas have been centralised for years. All Scottish police train at Tulliallan, there were other areas which were broadly centralised or shared like Forensics and Analytics.

It seems to have gone relatively well, apart from some decisions from Stephen House which were probably reasonable from a policing point of view but not very political.

It's saved a lot of money.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on this theory I've come up with:

LibDem decline
    First phase Labour gains votes
    Second phase Conservatives gain votes

UKIP rise
    First phase Conservatives lose votes
    Second phase Labour loses votes

Which means that its to Labour's advantage for the LibDems to lose some votes from 2010 but not total collapse and for UKIP to gain some votes from 2010 but not make a big breakthrough.

Whereas its to the Conservatives advantage that the LibDems totally collapse and for UKIP to make a big breakthrough.

We seem to be somewhere between the two phases on both measures and this is what makes the general election so difficult to predict.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Ed North and South probably the hardest 2 seats in Edinburgh for the SNP to win I would have thought. Things looking good for the SNP in East, West and South West right now.

Saw a post from you David that I was still predicting stockmarket crashes. You obviously didn't read that I'm bullish on the US stockmarket once we get a necessary correction out of the way into early June. Interesting mood music between the Greeks and the Germans over the past few days, some European Union that where member states are tearing lumps out of each other. Not exactly what Monnet, Delors and the other European godfathers had in mind is it exactly?!!!
  • Options
    Neil said:

DavidL said:

But the rest of them? Meh. Not in the McGovern class but really not inspirational either.

I hope Roger doesnt read this post.
    Some distant relative I might just have offended if I remember correctly? I may just have to live with it.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    QT audience in Leeds not keen on Labour selling out to SNP.
  • Options
    The Labour lady is probably technically right.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Blue surge in Scotland and YG.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Labour lady is probably technically right.

I'm told this is the best kind of right.
  • Options
    Lucy Powell is in dangerous territory going on about the Conservatives being potentially wiped out in Scotland.

Glass houses and such.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

May be very different at the time of the next referendum in 2040.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Lucy Powell is in dangerous territory going on about the Conservatives being potentially wiped out in Scotland.

Glass houses and such.

Didn't you hear? We might get five seats!! :D

I think I need to sit down now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He is not as left wing lunatic as he was and he has the extremely unusual attribute for SLAB of a functioning brain. He really stands out.

I would rather vote for Alison McGovern.

I saw her give a brilliant speech in the HoC. The content was absolute garbage, but she was articulate, passionate and engaging. Which makes her stand out amongst the Labour benches.
  • Options
    Sourbys best performance on QT - a low bar mind you.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

The Tory Surge (TM) Would give them 5 seats under SMAPS

Dumfries & Galloway
    Berwickshire Roxburgh & Selkirk
    Dumfriesshire Clydesdale & Tweeddale
    Perth & North Perthshire
    and
    Banff & Buchan

Tories to get 5x as many seats.... quick, fetch the smelling salts.
    SMAPS and reality don't always get along. the chance of Angus (see edit) or Banff & Buchan going Con is vanishingly slim.
    Western Isles seem to be a bit of an odd one, "No" voters but still very strongly SNP.
    Higher than the national average. Much stronger Yes than the rest of the SNPs seats
    Which was the strongest No seat for SNP - Banff & Buchan ?
    The oddest one is Dumfries & Galloway -- one of the most anti-independence seats in the country (and also was one of the most anti-devolution in the 1997 referendum) yet was held by the SNP in the fairly recent past...
    Much of the SNP vote there in yesteryear and the Labour vote there in 2005 and 2010 was of the anti-Conservative variety.
    It was well known that people on the council estates in Stranraer and Dumfries lent their vote at different times to the SNP and Labour - whatever was going to keep the Tories out. Amazing that Peter Duncan won there in 2001 by 75 votes IIRC when the Labour / SNP split got confused and just about let him in through the middle. By 2005, the vote had coalesced enough around Labour to end Mr Duncan's sole term as an MP.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Ed North and South probably the hardest 2 seats in Edinburgh for the SNP to win I would have thought. Things looking good for the SNP in East, West and South West right now.

Saw a post from you David that I was still predicting stockmarket crashes. You obviously didn't read that I'm bullish on the US stockmarket once we get a necessary correction out of the way into early June. Interesting mood music between the Greeks and the Germans over the past few days, some European Union that where member states are tearing lumps out of each other. Not exactly what Monnet, Delors and the other European godfathers had in mind is it exactly?!!!
    It was just gentle teasing hunchman. I really enjoy your posts and hope you are around a lot more in the run up to the election.

And I agree with you about the current state of the EU. Kids playing with matches and sticks of dynamite come to mind.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Solid performance from Anna tonight on QT. Really doing the Tories proud.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The current price of oil will scupper another vote any time soon.

• Options
    Oh, FFS...

It's a FREEZE, No I mean CAP, no hang on CUT!!!!

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent: 'Miliband promises law to cut energy bills by up to 10 per cent' http://t.co/iwivMhm1Wg http://t.co/XoCR91Lw6P
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Charlie's been on the sauce.
  • Options
    Natalie Bennett actually doing quite well.
  • Options

The SNPers have been awfy quiet on the GERS numbers...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sourbys best performance on QT - a low bar mind you.

She is formidable in a Poundshop Maggie style.

Natalie Bennett doing much better. Must have had some decent media training over the last couple of weeks. Charles Kennedy looking tired and past it.

And if that is Labours campaign guru then JackW is right.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent: 'Miliband promises law to cut energy bills by up to 10 per cent' http://t.co/iwivMhm1Wg http://t.co/XoCR91Lw6P

Free energy for all....
  • Options

Gazza springs to mind.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What a wimp. A Real Man would promise a law to cut energy bills by at least 20%, and rents by 50%, and iPhones by 60%, and trainers by 80%, and child-care by 90%.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

OK, that's something that people will definitely like to hear, but it is coming off as a little desperate from Ed.

Jonathan said:

And yet vote or not, the SNP are very well placed if they play their cards right, as SeanT points out. If they can become entrenched, it hardly matters if the vote is in 5 years or 15, effective separation will occur even with the formalities not completed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

A law?

How on earth would that work? The man's a dimwit.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The petition to reinstate a man whose best known comments are "all we know is - he's called the Stig", "Power!!!" and "How hard can it be?" now has 800,331 signatories.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I saw her give a brilliant speech in the HoC. The content was absolute garbage, but she was articulate, passionate and engaging. Which makes her stand out amongst the Labour benches.
    She's great. Know her a bit, she's one of my local(ish) MPs and I helped a little bit with her 2010 campaign.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

He should just legislate to win the election....
  • Options
    Interesting Channel 5 1 hour program on Savile at 8pm tonight. They kept their cards pretty close to their chest on most stuff, but they did have one of many photos of Prince Charles with Savile which I thought was very interesting. They stopped short of examining the links between Savile and the Royal Family, but the insinuation was clearly there - probably edited about as close to the wire as they dared to get - gradually the great contours of this crisis are slowly lapping more and more closely to the people at the very very top.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What a wimp. A Real Man would promise a law to cut energy bills by at least 20%, and rents by 50%, and iPhones by 60%, and trainers by 80%, and child-care by 90%.
    Don't forget owls:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/20/article-2662719-1EEE326200000578-499_634x359.jpg
  • Options
    Of course Ed could cut his own energy bills in half by boarding up one of his ktchens
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The petition to reinstate a man whose best known comments are "all we know is - he's called the Stig", "Power!!!" and "How hard can it be?" now has 800,331 signatories.

Brilliant - I'm proud to be one of those who signed it. Hopefully it will make it to a million but it was around 650k when I looked this morning so only 150k added today.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Is she not English, the Wirral or something? Now speaks on education? Definitely not SLAB.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

Ed Miliband 'doesn’t understand' business, says Apprentice star Karren Brady

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11468039/Ed-Miliband-doesnt-understand-business-says-Apprentice-star-Karren-Brady.html

She has a point....or you can just make a law to reduce the cost of everything and increase the pay of everybody...that will work I'm sure.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @RobD
    Same way as Dave legislated to keep himself in government?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is she not English, the Wirral or something? Now speaks on education? Definitely not SLAB.

Yes
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

Free energy for all....
    And hopefully an owl.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    Same way as Dave legislated to keep himself in government?

Wasn't 5 years at the instance of the LDs?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Gazza springs to mind.
    He looks as if he's having trouble focussing on anything in the room.
  • Options
    @RobD
    No, the "five years" was an Ozzie afterthought.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe. And there is a recognised cycle of 309 years alternating back and forth between Union and Independence in Scotland. Now do some maths - what does 1707 and 309 give you? On the cycle model its time for independence. And turn down the global economy after the end of September this year, and you have the perfect recipe for Scotland finally being granted its wish of independence. Its coming and its only a matter of time whatever the diehard unionists on here think. Bring it on - Scotland can do very well on its own thank you very much!
  • Options
    The thought that Ed Miliband might be PM in just a few weeks really doesn't compute, does it? Clearly no-one in Labour thinks he will be, otherwise they'd stop him behaving in quite such a ludicrous way.

The might be a nasty shock in store, of course, not least to his colleagues.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Every time I get depressed about the Tories not making sufficient progress in the polls he comes up with something even more bizarre and just plain stupid. I am seriously beginning to wonder if he really wants to win.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

EdM promises to cut Roman Abramovich's energy bills by 10%.

BTW Is EdM still promising to reinstate child benefit for Roman Abramovich ?

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,769
    MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS...

Free energy for all....
    And hopefully an owl.
    Given that we already have very competitive energy prices art the rest of Europe, Ed Milliband is - as usual - a mere political appendix.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    hunchman said:

Interesting Channel 5 1 hour program on Savile at 8pm tonight. They kept their cards pretty close to their chest on most stuff, but they did have one of many photos of Prince Charles with Savile which I thought was very interesting. They stopped short of examining the links between Savile and the Royal Family, but the insinuation was clearly there - probably edited about as close to the wire as they dared to get - gradually the great contours of this crisis are slowly lapping more and more closely to the people at the very very top.

The green lizards?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe. And there is a recognised cycle of 309 years alternating back and forth between Union and Independence in Scotland. Now do some maths - what does 1707 and 309 give you? On the cycle model its time for independence. And turn down the global economy after the end of September this year, and you have the perfect recipe for Scotland finally being granted its wish of independence. Its coming and its only a matter of time whatever the diehard unionists on here think. Bring it on - Scotland can do very well on its own thank you very much!
    That explains why a majority were against Indy. Most people vote with their heads and wallets.
  • Options
    Whatever next - 'Every home must have 2 kitchens, by law'.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe.

Not at all.

I know the appeal is emotional. I know the numbers don't add up, they never did, but...

...when the numbers were more favourable, the Nats were all over this forum chanting GERS, GERS, GERS.

Now that the GERS numbers have moved, not necessarily to their advantage, they are conspicuous by their absence. That's all
  • Options
    There is some real hostility in the Yorkshire QT audience towards a Lab/SNP deal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Every time I get depressed about the Tories not making sufficient progress in the polls he comes up with something even more bizarre and just plain stupid. I am seriously beginning to wonder if he really wants to win.
    Ed Balls gives every sign that he realises that the global economy turns down after the end of September, like he foresaw 2008 after pushing for the election that never was in the autumn of 2007. Its our version of the 1928 US presidential election.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi
    At least we know what Dave is offering. More "cast iron guarantees" and to give those at the bottom another good kicking.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

My creepily identical twin sister, S K Tremayne, has just sold her soul to Hollywood, according to industry rumours.

For shame.

Heh.

Congrats. Just be psychologically prepared for them to turn it into a musical...

Aye

To be honest I don't, particularly, give a f*ck what they do with it.

The story is what it is.

Some people seriously dislike the book, and yet others (I tentatively suggest a majority) like it, and a few go crazy for it. I've had a couple of serious journalists (and politicians, critics, whatever) tell me it is perhaps the best psychological thriller they have ever read.

This is obviously nuts, but to hear it from respected thinkers - and anonymous readers - who have no personal obligation to be nice to me, is very pleasing.

I suspect this is the book which, on my deathbed, I will think upon and say Yeah. Did That.

And end.
    Reminds me of those touching and sad twitter comments re Pratchett today. This is a sad day indeed.
  • Options
    Pong said:

hunchman said:

The green lizards?
    More like the slippery eels!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm afraid that there is little doubt that he actually believes all the nonsense he comes out with. Lord only knows what the sane senior Labour figures think.
  • Options

The thought that Ed Miliband might be PM in just a few weeks really doesn't compute, does it? Clearly no-one in Labour thinks he will be, otherwise they'd stop him behaving in quite such a ludicrous way.

The might be a nasty shock in store, of course, not least to his colleagues.

Disguised by the frenetic activity of an election campaign, the Labour party is tempted by existential crisis. Scotland has changed the calculus. The fear of victory is gradually being replaced by the more probable fear of defeat. Fewer and fewer Labour MPs now believe Ed Miliband will make it over the line.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4380474.ece
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    edited March 2015
    Constant faux outrage from Soubers, like to see her slapped round the boat race with a wet fish

Agreed, Charlie looks like he has had a sherbet

Powell just a standard labour council bore

Bennett my fav politician on here tonight

Hislop smug but probably the best on there
  • Options
    @DavidL
    No one really dies if they leave something like this.

"It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it. "
  • Options
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Ed Balls gives every sign that he realises that the global economy turns down after the end of September, like he foresaw 2008 after pushing for the election that never was in the autumn of 2007. Its our version of the 1928 US presidential election.
    Don't tell me - "it's a good election to lose"

Like 2010 - but that didn't do Labour any good - if anything they have gone backwards.
  • Options
    If EdM had any connection with reality he would go big on 'fairness'.

The ideas that wealth is increasingly concentrated among the 1% whilst the same fatcats are immune from the law are very aggravating to the C1C2 group (plus many others).

Instead we get increasingly idiotic ideas of micro-managing meddling madness.

Which nobody believes anyway.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

There is some real hostility in the Yorkshire QT audience towards a Lab/SNP deal.

There is indeed.

Salmond is toxic South of the border. Toxic to Labour.

Lucy Powell is rubbish, if she is in charge of the campaign then it is only getting to get worse.
  • Options
    The audience really aren't having the London answers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm afraid that there is little doubt that he actually believes all the nonsense he comes out with. Lord only knows what the sane senior Labour figures think.
    There were more than a few hints of what Balls thought in that New Statesman interview. The comment about just going for a walk not meeting people, for example.

He is struggling to contain himself I feel.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

It amazes me how people in the Unionist camp simply don't get it and particularly the Tories. The appeal of Scottish independence is an EMOTIONAL appeal, it's not based on micro analysis of oil price $100 independence more likely, oil price $50 independence less likely as they believe.

Not at all.

I know the appeal is emotional. I know the numbers don't add up, they never did, but...

...when the numbers were more favourable, the Nats were all over this forum chanting GERS, GERS, GERS.

Now that the GERS numbers have moved, not necessarily to their advantage, they are conspicuous by their absence. That's all
    You're right that Scotland would have to get its financial house in order post independence. I've never denied that, but that's a big reason for me to support independence. As a right of centre voter, it would force Scotland in a rightwards direction. This crackpot idea that everything would remain the same in Scotland with the dominance of the left is utter nonsense. Everything moves over time, and a more rightward leaning Scotland on an even financial keel would be an exciting place to be once they've got themselves sorted out after the inevitable immediate shakeup of independence.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    At least we know what Dave is offering. More "cast iron guarantees" and to give those at the bottom another good kicking.

Those at the bottom will, I am afraid, get a hell of a lot bigger kicking under Ed Miliband than under a Conservative-led government. You probably haven't noticed that we have generated more jobs than every single other country in the EU combined. Or maybe you don't care?
  • Options
    Bloody Hell this is a bit worrying
  • Options

chestnut said:

There is indeed.

Salmond is toxic South of the border. Toxic to Labour.

Lucy Powell is rubbish, if she is in charge of the campaign then it is only getting to get worse.
    But Eck tell us he is more popular in England than Dave. In his own mind anyway.
  • Options
    #VOTEFUKP FUKP preparing bacon sandwiches for Charles Kennedy should he chose to defect in the morning.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hunchman said:

Not at all.

There is no compunction to repeat the same argument endlessly. Enough posts have shown why there is reason enough to doubt the accuracy of both GERS and Treasury numbers in terms of Scotland. The argument doesn't rely on this any more, it will no doubt play out for the next Indyref but endlessly argument the same points on a board like this is not particularly useful.

I'm sure there will be occasion when Loyalist nonsense needs rebuked wherever it is found but a couple days after the last discussion over this is not really demanding a long drawn out discussion.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Constant faux outrage from Soubers, like to see her slapped round the boat race with a wet fish

More Kipper sexism - is the female getting uppity - knock her about until she gets back behind the ironing board you slut ?
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi
    The thing is, I do care.
    Jobs aren't just numbers to be waved about to cover the stink of a society that is rotting.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Alistair said:

The Tory Surge (TM) Would give them 6 seats under SMAPS

Dumfries & Galloway
    Berwickshire Roxburgh & Selkirk
    Dumfriesshire Clydesdale & Tweeddale
    Perth & North Perthshire
    Angus
    and
    Banff & Buchan

When you think that 20% only got the SNP 6 seats last time and 19% got the LDs 11 then anything could happen.

I can't help thinking that a lot of Scottish voters and quite a few English ones might find their heads exploding as they approach the polling station.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    No, the "five years" was an Ozzie afterthought.

Ah, this I didn't know. I don't agree with the Fixed Term Act anyway, and would like to see it repealed.
  • Options
    The young muslim lady in the audience is proving Farage's point here.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    DavidL said:

There were more than a few hints of what Balls thought in that New Statesman interview. The comment about just going for a walk not meeting people, for example.

He is struggling to contain himself I feel.

Yes, it was a very interesting article. Of course, Balls has scarcely bothered to hide his contempt for Ed M for the last couple of years, but that looked very much as though he's on manoeuvres. It might be just trying to protect his position as Chancellor if Labour do get to form the next government, or it might be more than that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

More Kipper sexism - is the female getting uppity - knock her about until she gets back behind the ironing board you slut ?
    Whatever takes that startled look off her face .. Not sexism it's equality i would say the same if she was a bloke
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited March 2015
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

For shame.

Heh.

Congrats. Just be psychologically prepared for them to turn it into a musical...

Aye

To be honest I don't, particularly, give a f*ck what they do with it.

The story is what it is.

Some people seriously dislike the book, and yet others (I tentatively suggest a majority) like it, and a few go crazy for it. I've had a couple of serious journalists (and politicians, critics, whatever) tell me it is perhaps the best psychological thriller they have ever read.

This is obviously nuts, but to hear it from respected thinkers - and anonymous readers - who have no personal obligation to be nice to me, is very pleasing.

I suspect this is the book which, on my deathbed, I will think upon and say Yeah. Did That.

And end.
    Reminds me of those touching and sad twitter comments re Pratchett today. This is a sad day indeed.
    One of the saddest parts from a Pratchett novel for me thesedays is in Small Gods, where the Great God Om is contemplating how he has lost so much of what he once was, having lost his power and most of his knowledge as a result of losing his believers. The sense of despair at losing a fundamental part of himself takes on extra poignancy in light of what transpired in reality much later on.

A depressing thought to end the day.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Don't tell me - "it's a good election to lose"

Like 2010 - but that didn't do Labour any good - if anything they have gone backwards.
    I'm glad I'm free of any party label, but quite what I'm going to do in 8 weeks time I've got no idea. I simply can't vote Conservative - the disgraceful goings on with the child abuse inquiry, and appointing someone who was a close friend of Leon Brittan was simply the final straw for me. And after Farage's comments today on removing much of the anti-discrimination laws I simply can't vote UKIP. UKIP started out as a pretty libertarian party but have become more and more authoritarian as time has gone on like the establishment parties. Who the heck does a Libertarian vote for if its only the main 5 parties in England standing in a seat at this election? It would be highly regrettable if I have to spoil my ballot paper if no Libertarian leaning candidate stands in Romsey, but I may be forced to do it - I hope not!
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Whatever takes that startled look off her face .. Not sexism it's equality i would say the same if she was a bloke
    Botox I think.
This discussion has been closed.