Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,089
edited October 17 in General
imageDamned if she does, damned if she doesn’t – politicalbetting.com

I could almost have sympathy for Rachel Reeves. The much hyped October budget approaches and whatever she does she will have the sound of wailing and the gnashing of teeth. It has been her misfortune to hang her hat on the OBR and thereby leave a vacuum on what she will do.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,885
    edited October 17
    Second Lady of the Treasury?

Edit: one better than that!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,842
    I have been in London for 48 hours working with a group of disabled people on a theatre trip.

So far, I’ve had to physically block six cyclists who ran a red light and then tried to cut straight across the front of a wheelchair user which would have caused a crash.

WTF London cyclists? Do you have to be utter Tristram Hunts?
  • Told you all Gove was the puppet master behind Badenoch.

Robert Jenrick would be vulnerable as Tory leader because the country has had enough of “Tory boys”, Michael Gove has said.

Speaking on the BBC’s Today podcast, the former Cabinet minister said: “Robert’s strengths are diligence, rigour, hunger. He is someone who has focused on the big questions that have been the party’s internal conversation.

“I think one of his weaknesses is that he looks like a typical Tory politician. And, given the strength of feeling against Tory boys expressed at the last general election, that’s a challenge.”

Mr Gove, a former leadership contender, said he was “very fond” of Kemi Badenoch, Mr Jenrick’s opponent in the Tory leadership race, because of her “courage”.

He said: “Courage is her hallmark. One of the criticisms directed at her is that she’s too willing to get involved in a scrap. I think it’s a virtue.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/17/gove-would-vote-for-lesser-of-two-evils-harris-over-trump/
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,631
    Much will depend on how the media runs with the Budget. At the moment it seems likely they'll use it as a stick to beat Sir Keir. However, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the Tories are relying on it to save their skins, so, in an act of contrariness, the media might give it a glowing reception just to spite them.

Told you all Gove was the puppet master behind Badenoch.

Robert Jenrick would be vulnerable as Tory leader because the country has had enough of “Tory boys”, Michael Gove has said.

Speaking on the BBC’s Today podcast, the former Cabinet minister said: “Robert’s strengths are diligence, rigour, hunger. He is someone who has focused on the big questions that have been the party’s internal conversation.

“I think one of his weaknesses is that he looks like a typical Tory politician. And, given the strength of feeling against Tory boys expressed at the last general election, that’s a challenge.”

Mr Gove, a former leadership contender, said he was “very fond” of Kemi Badenoch, Mr Jenrick’s opponent in the Tory leadership race, because of her “courage”.

He said: “Courage is her hallmark. One of the criticisms directed at her is that she’s too willing to get involved in a scrap. I think it’s a virtue.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/17/gove-would-vote-for-lesser-of-two-evils-harris-over-trump/

Doesn’t Kemi rather not like him any more, following a personal falling-out a couple of years ago?
  • Sandpit said:

Doesn’t Kemi rather not like him any more, following a personal falling-out a couple of years ago?
    She’s over it now.

She wants to win and needs his help.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,893
    ydoethur said:

I have been in London for 48 hours working with a group of disabled people on a theatre trip.

So far, I’ve had to physically block six cyclists who ran a red light and then tried to cut straight across the front of a wheelchair user which would have caused a crash.

Stopping at traffic lights and zebra crossings means *effort* - don't you know? And Real Cyclists don't do effort.

Shades of the moron who tried to knock me and a little old lady down, years back on Kew Bridge. Then waved his U lock at me, because I stopped his progress. Wonder if one of the mud larks has found the lock, yet.....
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 23,026

Badenoch is a garden-variety coward.

She has spent the last fortnight hiding from the media, such that Sophy Ridge carried an entire segment last night on her disappearing act.

And she was invisible as a minister – always absent when the going got tough.

She's hopeless.
  • Much will depend on how the media runs with the Budget. At the moment it seems likely they'll use it as a stick to beat Sir Keir. However, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the Tories are relying on it to save their skins, so, in an act of contrariness, the media might give it a glowing reception just to spite them.

Good header, and I would suggest the reaction of the OBR, IFS and IMF will dominate the narrative for better or worse

She has spent the last fortnight hiding from the media, such that Sophy Ridge carried an entire segment last night on her disappearing act.

She's hopeless.
    We have no idea how she will be if she wins the leadership but certainly Chope's comments today indicate a degree of misogyny that is not unique to him
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,729
    To borrow a phrase used in a slightly different way, I have to hope that the budget upsets all the right people.

If it doesn't upset enough people, then it will have shied away from the reality of the present situation. If it upsets the wrong people, then it will likely make things worse.

Let's just say that I don't think newspaper journalists, their editors, or their owners are the people Reeves should be worried about upsetting. An anguished howl of protest from Fleet Street is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for a successful budget.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,333

By ballot paper has arrived today.

Currently tempted to write ‘Bring back Dave’ on it.

Did you miss TRiP's tale of Cameron's less than masterly negotiation with Alex Salmond over Sindyref?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uty-EWzRMNU&t=1681s
    edited October 17

ydoethur said:

I apologise on behalf of London cyclists. What a horrible experience. Personally I always stop for red lights at pedestrian crossings and stop at zebra crossings when someone is crossing or waiting to cross. I also was almost knocked off my bike this week by a fellow cyclist who sped round a bend with no regard to people coming, so I can confirm that many of my fellow cyclists are indeed awful - he didn't even say sorry. I think in part the aggression is a response to stress and danger, but of course if you cycle more carefully it is less stressful so you can control this.
    Judging by what happens at Richmond Park....

Noticed that the cyclists who rock up in a big, expensive car, driving like thugs.... assemble their bike etc then tend to be utter thugs on the circuit.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,637

Sandpit said:

She’s over it now.

In the bag then. She got gove on her side.

ydoethur said:

Stopping at traffic lights and zebra crossings means *effort* - don't you know? And Real Cyclists don't do effort.

Shades of the moron who tried to knock me and a little old lady down, years back on Kew Bridge. Then waved his U lock at me, because I stopped his progress. Wonder if one of the mud larks has found the lock, yet.....
    Careful now. You will offend the cybercyclists! But seriously, this, effort, is why as a pedestrian find e-bikes (illegal or not) and even cars easier to deal with. Cyclists pedalling at their limit are too often looking down at the road rather than ahead, so do not see pedestrians (and occasionally even ride into the back of stopped cars). It's not all or even most cyclists, but it's enough.
  • By ballot paper has arrived today.

Did you miss TRiP's tale of Cameron's less than masterly negotiation with Alex Salmond over Sindyref?
    Oh dear, if Dave had let Scots outside Scotland vote it would have been a tainted result.

Dave gave Salmond, the question, the timing, and the franchise he wanted and still crushed Scottish Nationalism.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,861

ydoethur said:

Careful now. You will offend the cybercyclists! But seriously, this, effort, is why as a pedestrian find e-bikes (illegal or not) and even cars easier to deal with. Cyclists pedalling at their limit are too often looking down at the road rather than ahead, so do not see pedestrians (and occasionally even ride into the back of stopped cars). It's not all or even most cyclists, but it's enough.
    I did a bike-run brick earlier, and a van passed me so close that its wing mirror very nearly hit my arm. And I was in a (narrow) cycle lane, that it slightly veered into, with no other traffic.

Blooming unnerving when that happens.

I did wonder if it was someone who knew me... ;)
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,175

ydoethur said:

I apologise on behalf of London cyclists. What a horrible experience. Personally I always stop for red lights at pedestrian crossings and stop at zebra crossings when someone is crossing or waiting to cross. I also was almost knocked off my bike this week by a fellow cyclist who sped round a bend with no regard to people coming, so I can confirm that many of my fellow cyclists are indeed awful - he didn't even say sorry. I think in part the aggression is a response to stress and danger, but of course if you cycle more carefully it is less stressful so you can control this.
    And worth pointing out that about 85% of cyclists stop at red lights, according to TfL. You can get points on your driving licence for doing it, just not enough cops to enforce it.

A loophole is available - pop a leg over and scoot across.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,861

... and you'd get David Davis.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,532
    Good header.

All of this has been caused by the Ming vase strategy of the general election - safety first and be a grey canvas.

There is a lack of a political strategic message - what is Labour for apart from being not Tories? This is the vacuum mentioned above.

The issues around Sue Gray were around procedure and admin not political strategy.

The Budget is the opportunity to paint the canvas is bright colours.

If this is missed others will.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,064
    ydoethur said:

Give wheelchair users a taser - for, say, occassional use...

Last week, I nearly got wiped by a London cyclist, appearing at speed from behind a bus waiting to turn across a junction.
    edited October 17

Oh dear, if Dave had let Scots outside Scotland vote it would have been a tainted result.

Dave gave Salmond, the question, the timing, and the franchise he wanted and still crushed Scottish Nationalism.
    Am I the only one really looking forward to seeing what’s in the Sundays this weekend?

Or willl they hold off the biggest stories until after the funeral, out of respect for the family?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,064

I'd draw a cock and balls on my ballot paper but I'm a bit worried that'd be interpreted as a vote for Jenrick.

Just wipe your arse with it...
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,531

She's hopeless.
    Largely agree. But I still prefer her to Jenrick!

(My book disagrees on that though and, given I think they're both shit, I'm happy for Jenrick to win and make me some money. I do think Badenoch has more lolz potential, while Jenrick has more horror potential.)
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,483
    Good header - thanks @Alanbrooke
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,344
    edited October 17

ydoethur said:

Judging by what happens at Richmond Park....

Noticed that the cyclists who rock up in a big, expensive car, driving like thugs.... assemble their bike etc then tend to be utter thugs on the circuit.
    Yes, there are pleasant, considerate people and there are thugs/idiots, and representatives of both categories ride bikes and drive cars. The thugs/idiots driving cars tend to cause the most damage though; the ones on bikes are typically more annoying than dangerous, though of course with exceptions.

ydoethur said:

Last week, I nearly got wiped by a London cyclist, appearing at speed from behind a bus waiting to turn across a junction.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13965685/Why-tide-finally-turning-Lime-bike-menace-HARRY-WALLOP-discovers-growing-rebellion-Londons-streets.html

I know it’s the Mail, but it does appear than abandoned rental bikes are posing a serious threat to the disabled travelling in buggies and wheelchairs in London.

Florin Lacatus, 58, a former builder, relies on a mobility scooter to take him the 400 yards from his flat in Wembley, north-west London, to his local Tesco.

‘I used to be so active – doing karate,’ he says, but he now has Parkinson’s disease and endured a stroke 18 months ago, meaning he can no longer walk. And if there’s one thing that’s increasingly causing him problems, it’s Lime bikes.

ydoethur said:

It's more about idiots who think their personal convenience outweighs the needs of others.

I ride a mountain bike, in London. Good for dealing with potholes, and it's got low enough gearing that stopping and starting is pretty easy. Stopping and starting at red lights and zebra crossings is part of the experience of urban cycling.
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13965685/Why-tide-finally-turning-Lime-bike-menace-HARRY-WALLOP-discovers-growing-rebellion-Londons-streets.html

I know it’s the Mail, but it does appear than abandoned rental bikes are posing a serious threat to the disabled travelling in buggies and wheelchairs in London.

Florin Lacatus, 58, a former builder, relies on a mobility scooter to take him the 400 yards from his flat in Wembley, north-west London, to his local Tesco.

‘I used to be so active – doing karate,’ he says, but he now has Parkinson’s disease and endured a stroke 18 months ago, meaning he can no longer walk. And if there’s one thing that’s increasingly causing him problems, it’s Lime bikes.
    Yes, it's an issue. Particularly obvious in London because you have a pavement parking ban, so the only "vehicle" you ever see on the pavements are bikes.
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I like the approach of fining the companies that allow their equipment to become street detritus. No docks or anything.
    Re the header, I think Alan's bar for what Reeves has to do with her budget for it to be a success is rather high. If she can manage to appear pro growth yet not reckless on the finances that will do nicely. I think the risk she will choose to take is being seen as the author of more "austerity'. Starmer sees the balance of political threat to his right not his left imo.

I'd draw a cock and balls on my ballot paper but I'm a bit worried that'd be interpreted as a vote for Jenrick.

Just wipe your arse with it...
    Isn't that the equivalent of the old Trade Union block votes at the Labour Party conference. "I vote 2,565,564 votes for Jenrick" ?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,515
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

This is where you need robot wars style attachments for your mobility scooter.

Parked bikes in the way? Flip them into next week.
    Stupid barriers? An array of angle grinders.
    Speeding cyclists? Flamethrower.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,957
    edited October 17

ydoethur said:

What wheelchair users really need is a weapon to nuke vehicles parked up on the pavement.

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I like the approach of fining the companies that allow their equipment to become street detritus. No docks or anything.
    If they can’t field enough employees to sweep the streets for abandoned bikes, then take their licence away.

Every complaint should be a parking ticket, which is what, £150 in London at the moment, with 50% given to the reporter, and a website to encourage reports and incentivise local CCTV operators too. The bikes have movement sensors, so it will be obvious if someone just moves it to take a photo.
    edited October 17

ydoethur said:

What wheelchair users really need is a weapon to nuke vehicles parked up on pavement.
    Don't forget parents with prams. Nothing worse than wheeling a baby into the carriageway.

Crazy that it's only Edinburgh and London with a ban (Glasgow soon).
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,821

She's hopeless.
    Both candidates are hopeless.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,729

ydoethur said:

What wheelchair users really need is a weapon to nuke vehicles parked up on pavement.
    I'd be looking for Brimstone missiles to deal with inconsiderate road users, except that Ukraine have the greater need for them.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 28,018

Sandpit said:

She’s over it now.

The more perceptive amongst us said so some time ago.
    edited October 17

She's hopeless.
    Jenrick is definitely a no hope candidate. Irredeemable.

Badenoch seems to me to be a low hope candidate with not a totally deterministic outcome. Someone who might 'surprise on the upside'.

Cleverly within 18 months.

Nothing so odd as an angry Tory who is furious about the moribund woke basket case that is the UK, yet carries a candle for Rishi Sunk and thinks James Cleverly is an acceptable choice of leader.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,900

She's hopeless.

Badenoch seems to me to be a low hope candidate with not a totally deterministic outcome. Someone who might 'surprise on the upside'.

Cleverley within 18 months.
    Mordaunt after returning via a by-election might be a better bet if you think Jenrick/Badenoch won't last.

ydoethur said:

Nuke, you say....

• ydoethur said:

It's more about idiots who think their personal convenience outweighs the needs of others.

I ride a mountain bike, in London. Good for dealing with potholes, and it's got low enough gearing that stopping and starting is pretty easy. Stopping and starting at red lights and zebra crossings is part of the experience of urban cycling.
    When I work in the office, I cross the "squiggly bridge" in Glasgow. Last week I was confronted by cyclists coming towards me, on both sides of the central pillars. Either keep to the left or keep to the right, but don't make it a free-for-all.

She's hopeless.

Let me translate this for you:

"I don’t like Jenrick's politics, so I am going to dress up my dislike of him as sage, dispassionate psephological commentary."

She's hopeless.

Mordaunt after returning via a by-election might be a better bet if you think Jenrick/Badenoch won't last.
    The Tories will soon to be onto their sixth leader in eight years.

Swap another 2 by 2026, and make it an 8 in 10 job !
  • Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

This is where you need robot wars style attachments for your mobility scooter.

Parked bikes in the way? Flip them into next week.
    Stupid barriers? An array of angle grinders.
    Speeding cyclists? Flamethrower.
    Use Ben Hur and Grease for your inspiration, spikes on the wheel hubs.
    edited October 17

She's hopeless.

"I don’t like Jenrick's politics, so I am going to dress up my dislike of him as sage, dispassionate psephological commentary."
    No, sorry, that's wrong. I don't like Jenrick.

'Tory Boy' sums him up well, and Gove should know one when he sees one.

[Tory Boys do not win in the Red Wall]
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,821

She's hopeless.

The Tories need at least 2 years to get unelectability out of their system. If they change their leader in less than 2 years, it will be to replace them with someone even more extreme.

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

And worth pointing out that about 85% of cyclists stop at red lights, according to TfL. You can get points on your driving licence for doing it, just not enough cops to enforce it.

Also worth pointing out that according to TfL's own research the reason most cyclists killed in London are women is that they are more likely to obey the red lights, and get crushed by heavy vehicles turning left across them, while a large proportion of the men have just carried on regardless and got ahead of the motor vehicles.
    I did not know that. Sobering.

She's hopeless.

Has the "Boris" bug finally been killed off then?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,553
    @OccupyDemocrats
    BREAKING: The former chief marketer for NBC apologizes to the American people for giving us Donald Trump by helping to sell “The Apprentice” myth to the American people.

This is humiliating for MAGA…

“I want to apologize to America. I helped create a monster,” writes John D. Miller in a piece entitled “We Created a Monster: Trump Was a TV Fantasy Invented for 'The Apprentice'” for U.S. News & World Report.

“For nearly 25 years, I led marketing at NBC and NBCUniversal,” Miller explains. “I led the team that marketed ‘The Apprentice,’ the reality show that made Donald Trump a household name outside of New York City, where he was better known for overextending his empire and appearing in celebrity gossip columns.”

He goes on to state that his team “created the narrative that Trump was a super-successful businessman who lived like royalty” which was a “substantial exaggeration” that “created a false narrative by making him seem more successful than he was.”

Miller points out that Trump had to declare bankruptcy four times before the show premiered and at least twice over the course of its 14 seasons.

“The imposing board room where he famously fired contestants was a set, because his real boardroom was too old and shabby for TV,” writers Miller.

In a section that is certain to bruise Trump’s ego, Miller states that he was the “perfect choice” for the show because “more successful CEOs were too busy to get involved in reality TV and didn’t want to hire random game show winners onto their executive teams.”

Meanwhile, Trump “had no such concerns” and “plenty of time for filming.”

“I never imagined that the picture we painted of Trump as a successful businessman would help catapult him to the White House,” writes Miller, likening all of their advertising around the show to “fake news” because it was so “highly exaggerated.”

“I discovered in my interactions with him over the years that he is manipulative, yet extraordinarily easy to manipulate,” he goes on. “He has an unfillable compliment hole. No amount is too much. Flatter him and he is compliant. World leaders, including apparently Russian strongman Vladimir Putin and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, have discovered that too.”

Not surprisingly, Trump was full of bad suggestions for the show. He wanted to make “a team of Black players compete against white players.” Miller tried to convince him against it by appealing to Trump’s greed and telling him that it would alienate sponsors.

“While we were successful in marketing ‘The Apprentice,’ we also did irreparable harm by creating the false image of Trump as a successful leader. I deeply regret that,” writers Miller. “And I regret that it has taken me so long to go public.”

https://x.com/OccupyDemocrats/status/1846939723379450122
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,119
    Nice header, thanks @alanbrooke.

I agree the budget is probably the last chance for Labour to define the start of its term. A successful budget would make everything up until then fade into the background.

For the good of the country I am hoping (but not expecting) that they have been spending the last hundred days perfectly preparing the thread that they are going to use to thread the impossibly fine needle they have been handed by the Tories.

We'll soon see.
  • I expect the letters to the 1922 committee on votes of no confidence for Kemi/Jenrick are being drawn up already.

Following those two, the admittedly rather more beautiful and more empathic Ms. Mordant will sweep in on a chariot.

She's hopeless.

No, sorry, that's wrong. I don't like Jenrick.

'Tory Boy' sums him up well, and Gove should know one when he sees one.

[Tory Boys do not win in the Red Wall]
    Yes it's more him than his politics. He can change the one (as we've seen) but he's pretty much stuck with the other.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 344
    https://arunadvani.com/taxreform.html
    Doesn't seem too hard if this is correct, equalize CGT, remove the cap on NI and secure ear defenders.

Priorities...
    Energy : Modernise the grid, insulate old housing stock, encourage smart usage and invest in renewables and energy storage
    Health: Get waiting lists down (just pour money in), encourage healthier lifestyles and invest in earlier diagnostics and better treatments. It's in a mess because the coalition govt austerity ran up waiting lists resulting in patients being in worse health when they finally got treated.
    Immigration: Speed up processing, get them integrated into society or returned if ineligible.

Politics: Regain control of the messaging and project a bit of hope

I expect the letters to the 1922 committee on votes of no confidence for Kemi/Jenrick are being drawn up already.

Following those two, the admittedly rather more beautiful and more empathic Ms. Mordant will sweep in on a chariot.

Brandishing a sword, presumably?
  • It's the other two that are more mordant, ofcourse.

Autucorrect, ofcourse, wasn't in thr mood to allow to me to say the correct spelling, Mordaunt.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,320

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Also worth pointing out that according to TfL's own research the reason most cyclists killed in London are women is that they are more likely to obey the red lights, and get crushed by heavy vehicles turning left across them, while a large proportion of the men have just carried on regardless and got ahead of the motor vehicles.
    I don't want to like that because it's depressing but very interesting nonetheless.
    Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats
    BREAKING: The former chief marketer for NBC apologizes to the American people for giving us Donald Trump by helping to sell “The Apprentice” myth to the American people.

“I want to apologize to America. I helped create a monster,” writes John D. Miller in a piece entitled “We Created a Monster: Trump Was a TV Fantasy Invented for 'The Apprentice'” for U.S. News & World Report.

“For nearly 25 years, I led marketing at NBC and NBCUniversal,” Miller explains. “I led the team that marketed ‘The Apprentice,’ the reality show that made Donald Trump a household name outside of New York City, where he was better known for overextending his empire and appearing in celebrity gossip columns.”

He goes on to state that his team “created the narrative that Trump was a super-successful businessman who lived like royalty” which was a “substantial exaggeration” that “created a false narrative by making him seem more successful than he was.”

Miller points out that Trump had to declare bankruptcy four times before the show premiered and at least twice over the course of its 14 seasons.

“The imposing board room where he famously fired contestants was a set, because his real boardroom was too old and shabby for TV,” writers Miller.

In a section that is certain to bruise Trump’s ego, Miller states that he was the “perfect choice” for the show because “more successful CEOs were too busy to get involved in reality TV and didn’t want to hire random game show winners onto their executive teams.”

“I never imagined that the picture we painted of Trump as a successful businessman would help catapult him to the White House,” writes Miller, likening all of their advertising around the show to “fake news” because it was so “highly exaggerated.”

“I discovered in my interactions with him over the years that he is manipulative, yet extraordinarily easy to manipulate,” he goes on. “He has an unfillable compliment hole. No amount is too much. Flatter him and he is compliant. World leaders, including apparently Russian strongman Vladimir Putin and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, have discovered that too.”

Not surprisingly, Trump was full of bad suggestions for the show. He wanted to make “a team of Black players compete against white players.” Miller tried to convince him against it by appealing to Trump’s greed and telling him that it would alienate sponsors.

“While we were successful in marketing ‘The Apprentice,’ we also did irreparable harm by creating the false image of Trump as a successful leader. I deeply regret that,” writers Miller. “And I regret that it has taken me so long to go public.”

Too late now....

Somewhere in Essex, Alan Sugar changes the subject ....
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,541
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Don't forget parents with prams. Nothing worse than wheeling a baby into the carriageway.

Crazy that it's only Edinburgh and London with a ban (Glasgow soon).
    Obviously civilised. Though given the current howls Im not sure about a few Glaswegians. Plus the pavement/double parking ban is Scotland-wide - the problem is getting councils to enforce it.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/pavement-parking-ban/
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,282

I just stole that for Twitter.
    Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

The Apprentice saved Trump's finances, not just his reputation. Trump had negotiated a share of royalties as well as an executive producer credit.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-raked-in-427-million-on-the-apprentice-nyt-2020-9
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,119
    Dopermean said:

https://arunadvani.com/taxreform.html
    Doesn't seem too hard if this is correct, equalize CGT, remove the cap on NI and secure ear defenders.

Priorities...
    Energy : Modernise the grid, insulate old housing stock, encourage smart usage and invest in renewables and energy storage
    Health: Get waiting lists down (just pour money in), encourage healthier lifestyles and invest in earlier diagnostics and better treatments. It's in a mess because the coalition govt austerity ran up waiting lists resulting in patients being in worse health when they finally got treated.
    Immigration: Speed up processing, get them integrated into society or returned if ineligible.

Politics: Regain control of the messaging and project a bit of hope

That is an excellent website if the figures are accurate, thanks. The wealth tax over £10m raises more than I would expect.

As you say, ear defenders at the ready.
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

I don't want to like that because it's depressing but very interesting nonetheless.
    I haven't read the statistics to check but as a cyclist I get very nervous around pedestrian barriers when there are large vehicles about as it is all to easy to get crushed into the kerb with no exit.

I wonder if these also play a part in what happens.
    Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Better late than never, I suppose. The risible but widely accepted view of Trump as a rough diamond who can run America like a successful business comes from that show. Without it he'd still just be a low brains grifter.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,620
    edited October 17
    Problem for her is that if she does something performative to hit "the rich" then it isn't going to make a dent on the nation's coffers (ie vat on schools and most people wouldn't know or be eligible for CGT if it was sitting on their kitchen table).

She needs to do something which affects everyone but is more stealth than explicit. I expect for that reason a lot of freezing thresholds which most people will have difficulty equating to actual deprivation.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,755
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Surprised it's as high as 85%. You don't get that impression in central London.
    On cyclists I would put it at 60-70% go through red lights if certain death can't be assured. Our very own @OnlyLivingBoy has admitted that he does and he seems a sensible type and is (IIRC) a parent to boot, so where does that leave more reckless types.

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

I haven't read the statistics to check but as a cyclist I get very nervous around pedestrian barriers when there are large vehicles about as it is all to easy to get crushed into the kerb with no exit.

I wonder if these also play a part in what happens.
    They do, and they are slowly being removed.
    Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

"I've created an uncontrollable monster who is very easy to control."
  • A budget that was so urgently needed that we have had to wait four months to get it.

A budget with an ever expanding imagined black hole.

A budget where the pre-announced key changes have managed to grow this imagined black hole, rather than help to close it.

A budget where numerous last minute decisions are being made.

Really inspires confidence. Reeves and Starmer are both dreadful communicators. It's going to be a shambles that will fall apart within hours.
    Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Too late now....

What could have been. Very poignant.
    edited October 17
    She realises that, not being in opposition and therefore not able to berate the rich and the rich only, that she must enact policies that will hit her core vote. That is the root cause of the seeming shambles.

Lab's version of this dilemma is that no one voted for them to become poorer; they voted for them to make someone else become poorer and they (Lab) simply can't square this circle.

A budget that was so urgently needed that we have had to wait four months to get it.

A budget with an ever expanding imagined black hole.

A budget where the pre-announced key changes have managed to grow this imagined black hole, rather than help to close it.

A budget where numerous last minute decisions are being made.

Really inspires confidence. Reeves and Starmer are both dreadful communicators. It's going to be a shambles that will fall apart within hours.

That is an excellent piece of expectations management. Do you work for Labour HQ?
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

I did not know that. Sobering.
    If you look at the Direct Vision standard information it's frightening how big the blind spot in front of HGVs is as well as either side. Even if you're in the bike box you want to get out in front fast so that HGV drivers see you again and remember that you're there.

My worst experience though was parked up in a layby behind an HGV, driver walked past on his way back from the toilet, got in the cab and then a couple of minutes later, presumably after stowing his jazz mag, the reversing lights came on, I leant on my horn immediately but still got shunted 2 metres backwards.
    kinabalu said:

Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Too late now....

An business icon of Thatcher's 80s. It would have been very symbolic if he became PM.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,613
    I expect in the end Reeves to raise taxes on the wealthy and CGT on entrepreneurs and NI on employers and use the money raised to put into public services. If she doesn't, the Labour left and unions will go mad
    edited October 17

ydoethur said:

When I work in the office, I cross the "squiggly bridge" in Glasgow. Last week I was confronted by cyclists coming towards me, on both sides of the central pillars. Either keep to the left or keep to the right, but don't make it a free-for-all.
    I'm interested if you have comparison with more recent ones, and how they work.

That one (Tradeston Bridge) is about 6.5m wide, with a 1m suspension structure in the middle and inward leaning parapets at handlebar height, and was done using (by the look of it) "shared space" ideas in 2009. It recognises that people and cycles move in curves, not right angles, which is good.

That does not look that resilient if cycling and mobility traffic increases substantially (say 5-10x from current levels), though for Glasgow that may take some time. But nor does it seem to follow the usual British "build to the lowest standard possible for the least money possible" practice. The one that's going in in Ladybay in Nottingham suffers to an extent from that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8556439,-4.2639716,3a,75y,359.79h,68.76t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipN7HaiXx7gvRBHSjymQ7JMLrLOWFO5Yim2ueaGT!2e10!3e11!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN7HaiXx7gvRBHSjymQ7JMLrLOWFO5Yim2ueaGT=w96-h64-k-no-pi-0.87945133-ya76.11607-ro-1.2237121-fo100!7i5760!8i2880?coh=205409&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAxNC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==

What do you think of more recent ones?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,599
    edited October 17
    3 choppers directly overhead !
  • kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Better late than never, I suppose. The risible but widely accepted view of Trump as a rough diamond who can run America like a successful business comes from that show. Without it he'd still just be a low brains grifter.
    A bit late but still interesting, as you say.

It also reminds me of the "Art of the Deal" book's author , and his guillt in creating the first part of Trump's image, earlier on in the '80s. What both those accounts do.build together to illustrate, though, is the extraordinary power of the media in America between the 1980's and 2000's the promote the most cartoonish, ruthless and bullying ideas of business. It's still going on with these series, as well as in the U.K.
    edited October 17
    kinabalu said:

Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Too late now....

The Apprentice gave us an American president and two members of the House of Lords.

But as this morning's thread pointed out, The X Factor gave us One Direction.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,932
    NPR's view of state of the race:

Swing state map: Polls move in Trump’s direction, but the race remains tight
    https://www.npr.org/2024/10/15/nx-s1-5153420/swing-state-map-donald-trump-kamala-harris-polls
    HYUFD said:

I expect in the end Reeves to raise taxes on the wealthy and CGT on entrepreneurs and NI on employers and use the money raised to put into public services. If she doesn't, the Labour left and unions will go mad

I think taxes will increase on the wealthy.

My nap is that pensions pots will be brought into IHT in some form, as if I have it right, when the pensioner pops their clogs the remaining investments are untaxed money.

(Though is there something about CGT on asset sales within pension schemes?)
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey I just spent the last two minutes scratching at my screen as it looked like there were spots on there that needed cleaning off.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,169
    South African Women put Australian women OUT of the Women’s t20!
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

My nap is that pensions pots will be brought into IHT in some form, as if I have it right, when the pensioner pops their clogs the remaining investments are untaxed money.

My nap is all the newly-minted PB Tories who have condemned Reeves for inventing the fantasy black hole, will be condemning her for not closing it.
    edited October 17
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey I just spent the last two minutes scratching at my screen as it looked like there were spots on there that needed cleaning off.
    For me, they are a dead ringer for midges - there has evidently been a late third brood this year and we've been bitten quite recently (perhaps still are).
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,114
    ydoethur said:

It's London what do you expect
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,741
    ydoethur said:

Lycra warriors are Stewards of the Bar throughout the UK.

My wife has just exchanged her stunning silver with a red soft top Mercedes cabriolet with a private plate that spells her name in full, for something very much more demure and less offensive to cyclists after she was threatened with f-bombs, c- bombs and a 28" Campagnolo front wheel thrust into her face through the open window of her car for having the temerity to warn them of her presence as they rode two abreast on a moderately narrow road.

The angry one was clearly not a Conservative voter!
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

IHT is in any case a replacement for CGT on asset transfers from the deceased to the benficiary. In fact I think wills were subjected to overtly named CGT as recently as the 1970s. So essentially the same logic applies.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,114
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

What bollox Matt, they are passed on without tax but are taxed when consumed so they get their pound of flesh regardless unless you pop your clogs at early age.
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Surprised it's as high as 85%. You don't get that impression in central London.
    I suppose you only notice the ones that do. FWIW, studies from Copenhagen find that cyclists break the law at junctions at a much lower rate than drivers, but I guess cyclists are generally in closer proximity to pedestrians and therefore more noticeable.

The most interesting thing from that study was that cyclists are much more likely to obey rules when there is cycling infrastructure available - a sort of quid pro quo, perhaps.
    This was probably posted earlier in the week but Vanilla's search function is rubbish so, just in case:-

Keir Starmer in Rising Damp
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Gy3yI1_ZG_g
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,116
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

As I understand it a personal pension pot is inherited tax free under the age of 75, and taxed as income for the recipient afterwards.

kinabalu said:

Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

@OccupyDemocrats

Too late now....

An business icon of Thatcher's 80s. It would have been very symbolic if he became PM.
    "You're fired" he could have said to a chastened Tony Blair, sat back in his Commons LOTO seat after the Sugarslide of GE01, the hordes of newly elected rough and ready self-made men chuckling loudly behind him.