Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Scone rhymes with bone and if you disagree you are wrong – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 26 in General
Scone rhymes with bone and if you disagree you are wrong – politicalbetting.com

Say hello to the scone pronunciation map of Britain! How does your area compare?Most likely area to rhyme scone with 'gone': County Durham (89%)Most likely area to rhyme scone with 'bone': Derbyshire (79%)https://t.co/HVvwP6pJYd pic.twitter.com/MeR7KUxHFN

Read the full story here

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Scown.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 16
    Third.

I think I've had two last post's today :neutral: .

So FPT:
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The article doesn't say that. It just has a Think Tank opining that New Towns aren't a Silver Bullet.
    Lol you just know youre being lined up for the 180 degree turn but are living in the hope they might actually stick to a commitment.

Starmer is making BoJo look like a paragon of truth
    UK govts never meet housing targets (or any targets for that matter) so 'success' is getting in the ballpark. If they don't you'll be able to say "told you so"' not only with glee but with some credence. But not yet. Let's see how it's looking (on this and in general) a year to 18 months from now. Deal?
    In reality 18 months wont tell us much. All project timings tend to move to later dates especially in construction as the plans start on an optinistic basis. Labour have simply made themselves hostages to fortune by making claims they will struggle to deliver.

As I have pointed out they needed to hit the ground running to have any prospect of success, It reminds me of 2010 when the Conservatives were making noises about "spade ready projects" and subsequently discovered they were incapable of delivering much.
    I've no problem believing there's an element of 'ra ra' (although it won't be in the BoJo league) in what Labour have said on building houses. But what I mean is, 18 months from now (or let's say two years if that's still too soon) it will have become clear whether they are tracking for success on their full parliament target (success being target not met but not a million miles away) or failure (getting nowhere near). We'll have a better idea by then which of those outcomes we're looking at, or possibly it will be something in the middle. As of now, we really can't say.
    Last year 190k was achieved (without checking the detail).

So I think the options to evaluate for the first 5 years will be:

750k.
    1m.
    1.25m.
    1.5m.

With a profile required for 1.5m total at steady growth with 2024 same as 2023 with a profile something like:

180-220k
    225-275k
    270k-330k
    315k-385k
    360k-440k

1.5m is the average, and those are +/-10%. That's the line to watch. Less than 200k in year one will be a telltale, since that is where they are already.

Given the rhetoric, since 1m should be in the bag already I'd regard less than 1.25m in 5 years as clear failure. More than 1.25m as defensible. Under 1m, and especially under 750k, would be shat their bed territory.

There's also a big question as to whether it means E, EW or including SEWNI.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Further proof AI is bollocks, I'd be traumatised if this happened to me.

English-speaking ChatGPT users have been baffled when the AI replied to them in fluent Welsh.

The glitch has appeared for numerous users and is thought to be a problem in the software of how the computer system identifies the language of the speaker.

The latest version of ChatGPT, made by the company OpenAI, builds on the previous chatbot-style design and is called ChatGPT-4o. It allows people to use audio and visual prompts as well as text.

It is this latest update’s voice interface that poses the issue as it is poor at recognising the Welsh language so occasionally can think it is being asked a question in Welsh, when it is in fact an English speaker interacting with the algorithm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/16/chatgpt-responds-english-speaking-queries-welsh/
  • FossFoss Posts: 894
    Scone only rhymes with bone when I wish to wind the SO up.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    FPT:

Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

Incidentally, an acquaintance has taken on an intern for the summer in a tech role.

Interns often have issues with their (usually first) interactions with an office-based work environment, but one lass is having more than usual, as she has zero idea how to drive a Windows-style WIMP GUI. It looks as though she has only ever used phones and tablets.

I wonder how common an issues this is?

Perhaps she's a Mac Victim ? :smile:

(Good morning everyone.)
    Mac introduced a WIMP interface before Microsoft.
    You mean the one they copied from xerox parc and then claimed they invented
    They bought the basic ideas from Xerox (who didn't seem to know what to do with them) and developed them into a commercial product.
    They 'bought' implies they did a deal and paid for the ideas. Did they?
    IIRC Apple sold Xerox some stock for being able to check out PARC. For Apple it was perhaps the best deal in tech history, and for Xerox the worst. Xerox did later try to get legal redress when Apple sued Microsoft, but got nowhere as they had left it far too long.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

The article doesn't say that. It just has a Think Tank opining that New Towns aren't a Silver Bullet.
    Alan is desperate to declare failure, almost before they've started.
    I remain cautiously optimistic - not least as the policy I predicted pre-election, and which he said wouldn't happen, seems to be happening.
    3% of available time gone and not a brick laid. Indeed not even a plan.

They are not hitting the ground running so the whole thing is back loaded., which sort of suggests theyll need to be building 400k houses a year, in the kast 3 years something this country hasnt done for half a century.

You let your polemic blind you to what you would reject in your own workplace.
    I suspect that, like most of us, Starmer didn't expect Sunak to call the election when he did. Hitting the ground running is therefore more difficult, since plans hadn't been completed. Close to completion, maybe, but.
    And it wasn't the best idea to have to start off with a recess.
    The idea that new towns won't take years of planning - nothing of that scale has taken less than years of planning, in my lifetime....
    Harlow was designated in 1947 and by the mid fifties was up and running.
    I ain't that old.

It would take 2-3 years to write the important docs, now
    Ah well, take it from one who was beginning to get 'aware' then. The 1945 Labour Government got on with things.
    It was simply a function of how things were, back then.

The idea of spending 1/4 Billion on plans for the Dartford Crossing would have been seen as insane, back then.

Yes, Starmer could bring forward primary legislation overriding the whole system. Then the Greens and the Lib Dems will go full NIMBY, ready for the local elections. And the entire Enquiry Industrial Complex would fire up *all* the legal challenges, to the concept of doing away with spending billions on report on planning things.
    The government could get on and do it - wipe out the report writing/consultant/public Inquiry industry. It can just be done in one swoop, pass an act of parliament that grants itself the power to grant planning permission for whatever it wants to do, delegating matters accordingly. Thus reinventing what it did in 1948, and which led to where we are now, 75 years later.
    Oh indeed he could.

Then, as I said, the NIMBYs plus the Enquiry Industrial Complex would raise a political and legal storm.

On the legal front, it would go to the Supreme Court. Probably multiple times.

On the political front, the local elections would become a referendum on this. The Greens would love more councillors. As would the Lib Dems. I would be the Conservatives would get in on the act.

Is Starmer the man to scrap a vast pile of *law*?
    edited August 16
    I can explain this to you, @TSE .

Scone rhymes with bone and you are madly passionate about it, because where you live is part of Derbyshire in everything but lines drawn on a map, and in the minds of the Imperialists at Sheffield City Hall.

Simples.

Go and look at a reservoir without plugholes, anywhere, and you will feel homeless.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

I remain cautiously optimistic - not least as the policy I predicted pre-election, and which he said wouldn't happen, seems to be happening.

They are not hitting the ground running so the whole thing is back loaded., which sort of suggests theyll need to be building 400k houses a year, in the kast 3 years something this country hasnt done for half a century.

I suspect that, like most of us, Starmer didn't expect Sunak to call the election when he did. Hitting the ground running is therefore more difficult, since plans hadn't been completed. Close to completion, maybe, but.
    The idea that new towns won't take years of planning - nothing of that scale has taken less than years of planning, in my lifetime....
    I ain't that old.

Ah well, take it from one who was beginning to get 'aware' then. The 1945 Labour Government got on with things.

The idea of spending 1/4 Billion on plans for the Dartford Crossing would have been seen as insane, back then.

Yes, Starmer could bring forward primary legislation overriding the whole system. Then the Greens and the Lib Dems will go full NIMBY, ready for the local elections. And the entire Enquiry Industrial Complex would fire up *all* the legal challenges, to the concept of doing away with spending billions on report on planning things.
    The government could get on and do it - wipe out the report writing/consultant/public Inquiry industry. It can just be done in one swoop, pass an act of parliament that grants itself the power to grant planning permission for whatever it wants to do, delegating matters accordingly. Thus reinventing what it did in 1948, and which led to where we are now, 75 years later.
    Oh indeed he could.

Then, as I said, the NIMBYs plus the Enquiry Industrial Complex would raise a political and legal storm.

On the political front, the local elections would become a referendum on this. The Greens would love more councillors. As would the Lib Dems. I would be the Conservatives would get in on the act.

Nixon-China, if we're lucky.

And if the sanest way to build new places is as urban extensions, many of the relevant places are in the remaining Conservative seats, aren't they?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Scone (pronounced "scoon") is where the stone (rhymes with bone in English) comes from. The Stone of Scone is installed in the new museum in Perth. After your visit you can go to the cafe and have some scones (rhymes with gone. And highly recommended. They are excellent)
    glw said:

FPT:

Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

Incidentally, an acquaintance has taken on an intern for the summer in a tech role.

Interns often have issues with their (usually first) interactions with an office-based work environment, but one lass is having more than usual, as she has zero idea how to drive a Windows-style WIMP GUI. It looks as though she has only ever used phones and tablets.

(Good morning everyone.)
    They bought the basic ideas from Xerox (who didn't seem to know what to do with them) and developed them into a commercial product.
    IIRC Apple sold Xerox some stock for being able to check out PARC. For Apple it was perhaps the best deal in tech history, and for Xerox the worst. Xerox did later try to get legal redress when Apple sued Microsoft, but got nowhere as they had left it far too long.
    100,000 shares at $10, pre IPO, wasn't it?

Which would be in the range of 15 Billion dollars today, given all the stock splits etc.
    edited August 16
    FF43 said:

Scone (pronounced "scoon") is where the stone (rhymes with bone in English) comes from. The Stone of Scone is installed in the new museum in Perth. After your visit you can go to the cafe and have some scones (rhymes with gone. And highly recommended. They are excellent)

Why did the Scots choose a name for their national headquarters (or whatever it was) that rhymes with goon, hoon and loon?

Just asking ...
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Euch. Scone rhyming with bone is real nails on the blackboard territory for me. Up there with "haitch". Both my wife's sister in laws are from Derby so I have to absent myself from the conversation when the topic of scones arrises at family gatherings. Luckily my wife says it properly, despite spending many years in Derby as a child. Otherwise the relationship would not be in its thirtieth year, I suspect.
    Surely it has to be cream then jam. Cream is equivalent to butter, which you would always do first. I am generally pro Cornwall and anti Devon but I think the Devonians are right on this one.
    edited August 16
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

Why did the Scots choose a name for their national headquarters (or whatever it was) that rhymes with goon, hoon and loon?

Just asking ...
    Just a guess. The Gaels got there first.

Should have googled before posting. Consensus seems to be that it's a Pictish origin name that was gaelicised by the Scots.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    FF43 said:

You're pronouncing scone wrong.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

glw said:

FPT:

Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

(Good morning everyone.)
    100,000 shares at $10, pre IPO, wasn't it?

Which would be in the range of 15 Billion dollars today, given all the stock splits etc.
    If they kept the shares, but there was a long time when Apple's stock was pretty much junk. Even so $15 billion would be a pittance for how much Apple has made from the ideas that were seen at PARC. Amazingly that might not even be the worst miss at PARC which is of course where Ethernet originated. :)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Scone rhymes with burn in Hull.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    glw said:

FPT:

Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

(Good morning everyone.)
    Nah. That was their purchase of ?42%? of ARM when it was formed, for about $3m. Shares which kept them afloat a decade or so later, when Jobs sold those shares for $1 billion... ;)

Apple only now exists because of ARM, and by extension, Acorn!

WE WON!!!!! (shrieks merrily into the night...)
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Scone rhymes with Bonn and I've just learned that Berlin and Amsterdam are north of London.
    Interesting things happening in Kursk. The Ukes have dropped a couple of bridges over the Seym river, which not only hinders Russian logisitics, but might also trap a fair few Russian troops.

Euch. Scone rhyming with bone is real nails on the blackboard territory for me. Up there with "haitch". Both my wife's sister in laws are from Derby so I have to absent myself from the conversation when the topic of scones arrises at family gatherings. Luckily my wife says it properly, despite spending many years in Derby as a child. Otherwise the relationship would not be in its thirtieth year, I suspect.
    Surely it has to be cream then jam. Cream is equivalent to butter, which you would always do first. I am generally pro Cornwall and anti Devon but I think the Devonians are right on this one.

I'm neutral on the Devon/Cornwall thing but as cream is usually less solid than jam, unlike butter, jam then cream has practical benefits.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    FF43 said:

I'm neutral on the Devon/Cornwall thing but as cream is usually less solid than jam, unlike butter, jam then cream has practical benefits.
    Onlylivingboy is a decadent heretic for these views just saying. As for clotted cream being less solid than jam then you obviously get shit clotted cream
    FPT
    kinabalu said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Lol you just know youre being lined up for the 180 degree turn but are living in the hope they might actually stick to a commitment.

Starmer is making BoJo look like a paragon of truth
    UK govts never meet housing targets (or any targets for that matter) so 'success' is getting in the ballpark. If they don't you'll be able to say "told you so"' not only with glee but with some credence. But not yet. Let's see how it's looking (on this and in general) a year to 18 months from now. Deal?
    In reality 18 months wont tell us much. All project timings tend to move to later dates especially in construction as the plans start on an optinistic basis. Labour have simply made themselves hostages to fortune by making claims they will struggle to deliver.

As I have pointed out they needed to hit the ground running to have any prospect of success, It reminds me of 2010 when the Conservatives were making noises about "spade ready projects" and subsequently discovered they were incapable of delivering much.
    I've no problem believing there's an element of 'ra ra' (although it won't be in the BoJo league) in what Labour have said on building houses. But what I mean is, 18 months from now (or let's say two years if that's still too soon) it will have become clear whether they are tracking for success on their full parliament target (success being target not met but not a million miles away) or failure (getting nowhere near). We'll have a better idea by then which of those outcomes we're looking at, or possibly it will be something in the middle. As of now, we really can't say.
    Last year 190k was achieved (without checking the detail).

So I think the options to evaluate for the first 5 years will be:

750k.
    1m.
    1.25m.
    1.5m.

With a profile required for 1.5m total at steady growth with 2024 same as 2023 with a profile something like:

180-220k
    225-275k
    270k-330k
    315k-385k
    360k-440k

1.5m is the average, and those are +/-10%. That's the line to watch. Less than 200k in year one will be a tell tale, since that is where they are already.

Since 1m should be in the bag already, I'd regard less than 1.25m in 5 years as clear failure. More than 1.25m may be defensible.

There's also a big question as to whether it means E, EW or including SEWNI.
    Right. Let's bookmark this and revisit in August 2026. I'll inform AlanBrooke so he doesn't miss the engagement.
    I agree. But I think we'll know before that.

First concern is if they drop behind the Tories in year 1, as the Tories were last year at that stage pandering to Nimbies for butt-saving purposes by abolishing targets.

OTOH the Tory removal of housing targets would only have influence after a delay, so there could be a hidden time bomb for years 1 and 2.

New programmes (and the results of sorting out the impact of the last para) need to impact in year 2 visibly, and seriously in year 3. If they don't they are really up shit creek.

The thing that has to deliver is streamlining the local plan process and making housing targets be set and responded to seriously.

One thing in their favour is that the starting point is perhaps higher than many think, and so the Delta needed is relatively small.

And that housebuilders say they are under capacity. But they will need that and as many other initiatives to work as possible, one of which needs to be a boost to self-build.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,965
    Nice to see YouGov concentrating on the important things...

Personally I pronounce it as rhyming with "Gone"
    "New German citizens must acknowledge Israel’s right to exist

Berlin overhauls nationality criteria to include adherence to the country’s values"

https://www.ft.com/content/56e6182c-4c00-433f-a43d-57ad131781a6
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

Further proof AI is bollocks, I'd be traumatised if this happened to me.

English-speaking ChatGPT users have been baffled when the AI replied to them in fluent Welsh.

The glitch has appeared for numerous users and is thought to be a problem in the software of how the computer system identifies the language of the speaker.

The latest version of ChatGPT, made by the company OpenAI, builds on the previous chatbot-style design and is called ChatGPT-4o. It allows people to use audio and visual prompts as well as text.

It is this latest update’s voice interface that poses the issue as it is poor at recognising the Welsh language so occasionally can think it is being asked a question in Welsh, when it is in fact an English speaker interacting with the algorithm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/16/chatgpt-responds-english-speaking-queries-welsh/

I laughed today listening to an AI Christopher Hitchens talking about Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjp70fCL6I
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    GIN1138 said:

As do all sensible folk.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

So sexy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-67664821

Interesting things happening in Kursk. The Ukes have dropped a couple of bridges over the Seym river, which not only hinders Russian logisitics, but might also trap a fair few Russian troops.

That could be the defensible line they fall back on, once they have finished with the current shenanigans, too.
    Nigelb said:

That could be the defensible line they fall back on, once they have finished with the current shenanigans, too.
    Fog of war, but:

"Russian forces are reporting that Ukrainian forces are advancing down the railway track toward Vishnevka after the bridge was hit the advance is already 1.5km."

https://x.com/WarMonitor3/status/1824475843197849931
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    edited August 16
    Reminds me of the time that the West Country tour featuring The Jam and Cream had to be cancelled, because nobody could agree who would go on first.

(And it's "gone").
    DGAF Joe Biden is my favorite Joe Biden.
    https://x.com/steveschale/status/1824444352992538927
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Scone rhymes with bone, only if you are a psycopath
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    How is Rishi Sunak's political career like a small round cake?

Scone.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Scone rhymes with Bonn and I've just learned that Berlin and Amsterdam are north of London.

Detroit in Michigan is further West than the whole of the South American continent

The closest British major port to New York is Southampton.

Edinburgh is further west than Bristol
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Nigelb said:
    He is nearly as accurate as the infamous Valdemort of PB!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Scone.

Are you raisin the stakes?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited August 16
    GIN1138 said:

Classic mid August post general election poll.

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Gone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East (outside of Norfolk).

Virtually everybody outside Devon and Somerset agrees that jam goes on Scones first then cream however
    ydoethur said:

Scone.

I know the heat is fraying people's nerves but we don't need a hot cross bun fight on a Friday evening.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

I ain't that old.

Oh indeed he could.

I do wonder what they are thinking though, and where they get their ideas from. One plan, which is only slated for the green belt at the moment, is that the landowner doesn't get to benefit/profit from the increase in land values arising from obtaining planning permission. They would be forced to sell for existing use value (ie peanuts) and possibly a 20% increase. The only question this raises, is who would go through the decade long, multi million pound cost of getting planning permission, and the associated likelihood/risk of failure, for a 20% profit over the existing use value - ie probably tens of thousands of pounds in most cases. It would no longer be a commercially viable proposition. The state would have to requisition the land and get planning permission itself, taking on all the risk.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    ydoethur said:

Scone.

Butter be sure of your facts before taking him on.
    edited August 16
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Gone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

Virtually everybody outside Devon and Somerset agrees that jam goes on Scones first then cream however
    There's no class element.
    Just a right and wrong element.

(And a weird one for the 'scown' minority.)
    With the topic being rather light (“scones”) I feel ok to mention something else that’s interesting but not of earth-shattering importance. The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh. I hadn’t heard it in decades but that changed this afternoon when I was checking out the new M&S food hall in Friern Barnet. They were playing loud music in there, unusual for an M&S and imo not smart business since it was hard to screen it out and concentrate on my shopping, esp when The Lady In Red started booming out. For better or worse (I’d strongly argue the latter) it’s just not a song you can ignore.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

Just asking ...
    Goon and hoon are twentieth century by the looks of it, and loon means something different from what you think it means in Scotland.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Gone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

There's a book 'U and not U' which is ridiculous and insightful in equal measure - basically saying what's upper and lower class according to the standards of the author. I think it concludes that it can't decide on the scone debate. (I'll be able to check later)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Bone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher
  • Any chance we can get an apology and / or an admission that they were wrong from those on this site who claimed that , if you said Hunter Biden was peddling influence, you were nothing more than a MAGA nutjob?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/13/us/politics/hunter-biden-ukrainian-company.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Rhetorical question by the way. We know such types never admit to being wrong ring.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Scone.

TSE = Pound shop Rishi Sunak.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    The world is full of complex issues on which it is entirely possible to have differences of view and to have respect for the alternatives.

This is not such an issue. Scone rhymes with gone unless it is the town which rhymes with Boon. These are the facts.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Bone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher
    Not really. This is like serviette: people who are non-U desperately wanting to look like they are U.

Most places are entirely agnostic about it, and places like Hampshire where I am (which is relatively posh) tend to prefer "gone" because they don't have the class insecurities that Derbyshire and Essex have.

Any chance we can get an apology and / or an admission that they were wrong from those on this site who claimed that , if you said Hunter Biden was peddling influence, you were nothing more than a MAGA nutjob?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/13/us/politics/hunter-biden-ukrainian-company.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Rhetorical question by the way. We know such types never admit to being wrong ring.

The MAGA nutjobs tended to say or heavily imply that JOE Biden was implicated.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Scone.

Butter be sure of your facts before taking him on.
    Avoid cut and pastry.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Americanisms, pronunciations and spellings have ruined our beautiful language.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    mercator said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Just asking ...
    Goon and hoon are twentieth century by the looks of it, and loon means something different from what you think it means in Scotland.
    Chris Hoon?
    mercator said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Just asking ...
    Not sure about the whole of Scotland but certainly in the north east. I miss our contributions from @fitalass and @fitaloon. It simply means a man.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    The cream versus jam debate is dependent upon whether butter is also used.

Butter then jam then cream or cream with jam on top both allow a layer of fat directly on the scone.

Nobody puts butter on top of a layer of jam on a slice of toast do they.

"Donut", as opposed to doughnut, has irritatingly crept in the last 20 years.

And don't get me started on "schedule".
  • kinabalu said:

Any chance we can get an apology and / or an admission that they were wrong from those on this site who claimed that , if you said Hunter Biden was peddling influence, you were nothing more than a MAGA nutjob?

Nice try. It was always, ir you thought Hunter Biden was peddling influence, you were nothing more than a Russian Troll. Nothing about Joe.

Just admit you got it wrong. Hunter was peddling influence for cash. He may or may not have influenced Joe. But you - and everyone else - was claiming, if you believed he was peddling influence, you were a MAGA fan.

You should see what they have done to guising. Just appalling.
    My main issue with the jam and cream is that tearooms simply don't supply enough of it.

Those tiny little jars. Tsk.

Or enriched it.
    edited August 16
    It seems from a quick review of this thread that the PBers who insist it's scon not scown are far more vehement about it, brooking no dissent, than the scowners. Scowners are a little more tentative in their opinions on the matter. I think this is because the sconners tend to be from relatively privileged backgrounds, used to being deferred to, thus prone to making ringing 'from on high' pronouncements on what is or isn't the case about this that & the other.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

My main issue with the jam and cream is that tearooms simply don't supply enough of it.

Those tiny little jars. Tsk.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality in those 'tiny little jars' - a lot of sugar and very little fruit usually.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867
    kinabalu said:

With the topic being rather light (“scones”) I feel ok to mention something else that’s interesting but not of earth-shattering importance. The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh. I hadn’t heard it in decades but that changed this afternoon when I was checking out the new M&S food hall in Friern Barnet. They were playing loud music in there, unusual for an M&S and imo not smart business since it was hard to screen it out and concentrate on my shopping, esp when The Lady In Red started booming out. For better or worse (I’d strongly argue the latter) it’s just not a song you can ignore.

Both Chris Rea and Chris De Burgh were very popular in Germany.
    Chris Rea - "“I understand Chris de Burgh speaks very good German. Chris De Burgh. Annoying little bastard…”
    https://www.pauldunoyer.com/chris-rea-interview-the-underdogs-tale/
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Evening all :)

As somebody once said, "let's get serious".

Scone - ideally home made, certainly warm. I'm happy with a plain scone, others prefer raisins.

Clotted Cream - usually Rodda's if you don't make your own but I'm sure there are some fantastic ones elsewhere in Cornwall.

Jam - again, if you make your own, go for it. My mother made her own quince jam and it was a delight on scones. If you aren't in the jam making business, it has to be Tiptree "Little Scarlet" for strawberry jam.

The cream versus jam debate is dependent upon whether butter is also used.

Butter then jam then cream or cream with jam on top both allow a layer of fat directly on the scone.

Nobody puts butter on top of a layer of jam on a slice of toast do they.

Butter is lovely when liquid over, say, some toast, but also great when coldish. It loses out a bit at room temperature.

I can see that cold butter on top of jam toast might be quite nice.

@Leon keeps spelling "though" as "tho" :angry:
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    Remember, @TSE, that during your sojourn at the Trump Travelodge, it will rhyme with gone. Hopefully, you will be given proper bowls of jam and cream, and not silly wee jars, with your £50 afternoon tea.
    edited August 16
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

I ain't that old.

Oh indeed he could.

I do wonder what they are thinking though, and where they get their ideas from. One plan, which is only slated for the green belt at the moment, is that the landowner doesn't get to benefit/profit from the increase in land values arising from obtaining planning permission. They would be forced to sell for existing use value (ie peanuts) and possibly a 20% increase. The only question this raises, is who would go through the decade long, multi million pound cost of getting planning permission, and the associated likelihood/risk of failure, for a 20% profit over the existing use value - ie probably tens of thousands of pounds in most cases. It would no longer be a commercially viable proposition. The state would have to requisition the land and get planning permission itself, taking on all the risk.
    I think that is the plan - the state purchase the land cheap.

They can then employee contractors to build the houses. Then flog them for a profit.

They hope.

Edit: or just sell the land with planning permission, divided into plots..

kinabalu said:

Nice try. It was always, ir you thought Hunter Biden was peddling influence, you were nothing more than a Russian Troll. Nothing about Joe.

Just admit you got it wrong. Hunter was peddling influence for cash. He may or may not have influenced Joe. But you - and everyone else - was claiming, if you believed he was peddling influence, you were a MAGA fan.
    I don't recall saying any such thing. But as a matter of interest and in the spirit of full disclosure and good faith conversation ARE you a MAGA nutjob?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    stodge said:

Scone - ideally home made, certainly warm. I'm happy with a plain scone, others prefer raisins.

Clotted Cream - usually Rodda's if you don't make your own but I'm sure there are some fantastic ones elsewhere in Cornwall.

Jam - again, if you make your own, go for it. My mother made her own quince jam and it was a delight on scones. If you aren't in the jam making business, it has to be Tiptree "Little Scarlet" for strawberry jam.

If you are making your own scones, try the Blueberry and Lemon scones from The National Trust Book Of Scones.
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115
    I pronounce it differently (and hear it differently in my minds ear) depending on context. Specifically whether or not it is the conclusion of the phrase.

So if I'm eating 'a scone and jam' then it definitely rhymes with 'gone'.

But a 'cheese scone' rhymes with 'phone'.

Always.
    The pronunciation of the word within the English-speaking world varies, with some pronouncing it /skɒn/ (rhymes with "gone"),[2] and others /skoʊn/ (rhymes with "tone").[3] The dominant pronunciation differs by area. Pronunciation rhyming with "tone" is strongest in the English Midlands and Republic of Ireland, though it seems to have less prominent patches in Cornwall and Essex. The pronunciation rhyming with "gone" is strongest in Northern England and Scotland, although this also seems to be the favoured pronunciation in Southern England, the Home Counties, and East Anglia.[4][5] Natives of the Republic of Ireland and the United States mainly use the /skoʊn/ pronunciation.[6] British dictionaries usually show the /skɒn/ form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognising the /skoʊn/ form.[2]

The difference in pronunciation is alluded to in a poem:

I asked the maid in dulcet tone
    To order me a buttered scone;
    The silly girl has been and gone
    And ordered me a buttered scone.
    [7][8]

The Oxford English Dictionary reports that the first mention of the word was in 1513.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone
    edited August 16

File under: "Apology sought from mythical PBers that only exist in the mind of the poster".

Any chance we could get an apology from those* on this site who:
    - claimed Starmer's election campaign would crumble under scrutiny?
    - said Farage would sweep to power?
    - told us the recent rioters were freedom fighters?
    - blamed Labour for the immigration rise over recent years?
    - etc.

* A: No, because 'they' do not exist.
    On the topic of tea-time treats, my plum crop this year is very disappointingly light, though the few plums are quite tasty. Black and redcurrants also very poor crop with barely any. Poor spring weather or too few insects or both?

Apples and pears look to have had a good season, but need a couple more weeks.
    KnightOut said:

I pronounce it differently (and hear it differently in my minds ear) depending on context. Specifically whether or not it is the conclusion of the phrase.

So if I'm eating 'a scone and jam' then it definitely rhymes with 'gone'.

But a 'cheese scone' rhymes with 'phone'.

Always.

Very good point. I have just realised I do the same.

It's a bit like 'the' in the [thee] outcome of the [thuh] meeting.
    Foxy said:

On the topic of tea-time treats, my plum crop this year is very disappointingly light, though the few plums are quite tasty. Black and redcurrants also very poor crop with barely any. Poor spring weather or too few insects or both?

Apples and pears look to have had a good season, but need a couple more weeks.

Same here - greengages very poor crop, looks like lots of apples though.

As does every other word.

Remember, @TSE, that during your sojourn at the Trump Travelodge, it will rhyme with gone. Hopefully, you will be given proper bowls of jam and cream, and not silly wee jars, with your £50 afternoon tea.

His scones will be fully buttered I'm sure.

@Leon keeps spelling "though" as "tho" :angry:
    Not anymore tho...

stodge said:

If you are making your own scones, try the Blueberry and Lemon scones from The National Trust Book Of Scones.
    When I worked in Christchurch NZ, the Emergency dept had a small kitchen where we could make tea and toast, stocked with government surplus flour butter and sugar. When it was quiet enough* we would bake fresh scones, giving the department a lovely homely aroma. I think the products rhymed with gone there.

* typically a 15 min wait to be seen. I cannot imagine a British dept quiet enough for this.
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Gone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East (outside of Norfolk).

Well thats because you are all philistines who would fail making a bacon butty
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Those pronouncing it slightly posher are likely to be arseholes and far less intelligent
    edited August 16
    RealClearPolitics is holding out on forecasting a Harris win because of a tie in their Pennsylvania polling average.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/pennsylvania/trump-vs-harris
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:
    He is nearly as accurate as the infamous Valdemort of PB!
    Hyperbole. Ever the professional, Trump throws in no Christmas, no 4th of July, to make it clear he is not altogether serious, thus having his cake and eating it vis-a-vis the political predictions.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I thought you were Cornish?
    After extensive self-analysis, I have concluded I use scone (bone) and scone (gone) randomly, with no discernible pattern.

As for jam or cream first: jam sticks to scone, cream sits on jam with no problem; cream sits on scone: jam slips off cream every time.
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I thought you were Cornish?
    Cornish is jam first then cream devonians disagree
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    Poor Hunter Biden, no-one cares about him anymore.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Not really. This is like serviette: people who are non-U desperately wanting to look like they are U.

Most places are entirely agnostic about it, and places like Hampshire where I am (which is relatively posh) tend to prefer "gone" because they don't have the class insecurities that Derbyshire and Essex have.
    I don't think there's a class element to it - or if there is, it's complex and nuanced. As is the geographical element.

All gone-rhymers in my family, whether from Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh or London, and regardless of which layer of the middle-middle to upper-middle classes we come frpm.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Other way round, I thought? Posher is "gone".

If not my whole theory on why sconners are more vehement about it than scowners is complete tripe.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited August 16
    Coincidentally, a couple of friends turned up unexpectedly and took me out for lunch today. They wanted to feed me "the world's best scones" (rhymes with gone of course). They were most enthusiastic.
    When we got there they'd sold out.
    So they each had a baked potato and I had a panini.
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Those pronouncing it slightly posher are likely to be arseholes and far less intelligent
    How do you say it?
    dixiedean said:

Quite bizarrely, a couple of friends turned up unexpectedly and took me out for lunch today. They wanted to feed me "the world's best scones" (rhymes with gone of course). They were most enthusiastic.
    When we got there they'd sold out.
    So they each had a baked potato and I had a panini.

This is why you dont trust the non cornish, they promise you one thing then bait and switch on you
    Tres said:

Poor Hunter Biden, no-one cares about him anymore.

It's quite amazing that major international companies the world over manage without his valuable insight.
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?
    It rhymes with gone, and anyone that says it doesnt is a plebeian thats barely literate
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?
    It rhymes with gone, and anyone that says it doesnt is a plebeian thats barely literate
    Well this puts you in the posh camp if I'm assessing things correctly. I don't know how you feel about that.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?
    Agree. 'Sc-own' always sounds like a very gauche person's idea of sounding posh - like drinking one's tea with pinky held aloft.
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115
    I'll put in a word for Stanley Carnage's Bacon Scones. Made with bacon fat and liberally studded with more bacon throughout.

So moist and unctious you don't need to put anything else on them, and they pair well with most styles of beer.
This discussion has been closed.