Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is absolutely not weird from Trump’s son, it is homophobic, but not weir – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,222
    We would have won that relay with better changes.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,948
    Andy_JS said:

One or two teams can say that in most relays, to be fair.

Andy_JS said:

One or two teams can say that in most relays, to be fair.
    I know, but this was particularly disappointing for us I think.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Andy_JS said:

Just so frustrating all these near misses

And unfortunately I suspect another to come with KJT. But I'm not always right so here's hoping for the win!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,765
    edited August 9
    carnforth said:

"Cut their throats" Labour councillor charged and remanded:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/credz9gl92yo

For balance, and on reflection, I don't think this guy should get a jail sentence either, or at least not a long one

His career is over and his life is in pieces. Because of one moment of absolute madness. From all I have read he is an upstanding citizen, he got overwrought at a rally and said a crazy and incendiary thing. But it appears to be a total one off

I woudn't jail the Facebook dude and I would at most put this guy in jail for a few weeks, following conviction

We need to separate actual violence or deliberate, studied incitement from random people just mouthing off in the heat of the moment. People who actually got involved in the riots, anyone who carried a weapon in the streets, anyone who set out to incite violence with a plan and on repeated occasions - yes: sling them in jail for serious time

These peripheral figures? - I'm not convinced
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,439

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Harris addresses her biggest weakness head on.
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1821899889007317307

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
    That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    Clearly some PBers have NOT been paying atttention, we've already had this freaking debate!

Kamala Harris pronounces her first name "Kom-a-la" with even stress on each sylable, just like the narrarator of the add says it.
    "Why it's so HARD to pronounce KAMALA", Dr Geoff Lindsey, 5 Aug 2024. YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihLE-wh0xc

AI Summary of transcript

All short vowels Ka-ma-la, no long vowels. Easy.
    I see what's coming a mile off here. Still at least you can only post it once a day now!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,129
    Does (perhaps) JD Vance pronounce "JD" as "Jed" as in Jed Clampett?

Probably NOT seeing as how JDV is a Recovering Hillbilly!

The Beverly Hillbillies Opening and Closing Theme (starts at 0:30)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvE9zJgm8OY&t=4s
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,639
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

For balance, and on reflection, I don't think this guy should get a jail sentence either, or at least not a long one

His career is over and his life is in pieces. Because of one moment of absolute madness. From all I have read he is an upstanding citizen, he got overwrought at a rally and said a crazy and incendiary thing. But it appears to be a total one off

I woudn't jail the Facebook dude and I would at most put this guy in jail for a few weeks, following conviction

We need to separate actual violence or deliberate, studied incitement from random people just mouthing off in the heat of the moment. People who actually got involved in the riots, anyone who carried a weapon in the streets, anyone who set out to incite violence with a plan and on repeated occasions - yes: sling them in jail for serious time

Absolutely the right take.

The guy said something stupid while caught up in the heat of the moment with a mic in his hand and a huge crowd in front of him.

Not to excuse what he said, but also, context is key. I don't believe the assembled crowd who had showed up were an angry mob, whereas if he'd been one of the rioters saying those things while people were trying to set fire to a hotel full of refugees, it would be incitement. Like the proverbial example of shouting fire in a crowded theatre, context matters.

And where speech is involved, we should *always* err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. How many of us can honestly say we haven't used hyperbole to make a point, or said something stupid in the heat of the moment we later regret?

This guy said one stupid thing - it shouldn't be the end of his career because of it. A bit of common sense needs to prevail.
    Tres said:

Photo of the day

This is what I do not understand. I get that Nige prefers Florida to Clacton but why not hire a couple of staff to run the constituency office and do case work?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,164
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

The guy said something stupid while caught up in the heat of the moment with a mic in his hand and a huge crowd in front of him.

Not to excuse what he said, but also, context is key. I don't believe the assembled crowd who had showed up were an angry mob, whereas if he'd been one of the rioters saying those things while people were trying to set fire to a hotel full of refugees, it would be incitement. Like the proverbial example of shouting fire in a crowded theatre, context matters.

And where speech is involved, we should *always* err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. How many of us can honestly say we haven't used hyperbole to make a point, or said something stupid in the heat of the moment we later regret?

This guy said one stupid thing - it shouldn't be the end of his career because of it. A bit of common sense needs to prevail.
    Yes. The justice system shouldn't get "caught up in the moment" just because individuals do.
    Decent result for us in Mens 4 x 100, most we could have expected
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,106
    @TimS there's your UK = France in the medals!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Penalty to France in stoppage time.
    Spain 3-2 up.
    Scores.
    Ballsup from the Americans in the men's 4x100 relay.
    carnforth said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Yes. The justice system shouldn't get "caught up in the moment" just because individuals do.
    To be clear, I think running 24 hour courts to end the riots earlier is ok, so long as each case is tried and sentenced fairly. (I would worry about the sentencing, especially under magistrates, if anything. You'd hope judges knew better.)
    MaxPB said:

@TimS there's your UK = France in the medals!

For all of 2 minutes!
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 949
    why are the Brits good to ok in the 100m relay but no stand out individuals?
    edited August 9

Andy_JS said:

And unfortunately I suspect another to come with KJT. But I'm not always right so here's hoping for the win!
    I think Team GB need a bit of an inquest to see why there were so many near misses for gold medals, what last 1% have we not got this year vs 2021 and 2016.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,619
    Nunu5 said:

because they train as a squad, rather than just picking the 4 fastest runners at the national trials like a lot of nations do
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

I think Team GB need a bit of an inquest to see why there were so many near misses for gold medals, what last 1% have we not got this year vs 2021 and 2016.
    it's probably just other nations upping their game, especially France in this Games - as host nations generally do

That's enough in extremely tight conditions to edge us out of a few golds. Also, Australia have done especially well this year

If we finish in the top 5 that is still highly creditable, and another good performance, albeit not as good as Tokyo etc

• TazTaz Posts: 13,384

Tres said:

Photo of the day

This is what I do not understand. I get that Nige prefers Florida to Clacton but why not hire a couple of staff to run the constituency office and do case work?
    I’ve mailed Luke Akehurst twice, not had a response from him only one from a staffer demanding my address.
    Nunu5 said:

Relays are about baton changes. We work on that. The American dream team approach gives four stars who have only just met in the car park. Look at China whose teamwork got them to the final despite being too slow on paper.
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

This is exactly what we need to do. Although each sport has its own responsibility to prepare, we have seen this across a number of sports, swimming, cycling, athletics.
    Andy_JS said:

Ballsup from the Americans in the men's 4x100 relay.

Two bad exchanges and disqualification for USA.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,005
    Omnium said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
    That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    Clearly some PBers have NOT been paying atttention, we've already had this freaking debate!

Kamala Harris pronounces her first name "Kom-a-la" with even stress on each sylable, just like the narrarator of the add says it.
    "Why it's so HARD to pronounce KAMALA", Dr Geoff Lindsey, 5 Aug 2024. YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihLE-wh0xc

AI Summary of transcript

All short vowels Ka-ma-la, no long vowels. Easy.
    I see what's coming a mile off here. Still at least you can only post it once a day now!
    Fun fact: "Sunil Prasannan" - all short vowels, no long ones!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,530

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

This is exactly what we need to do. Although each sport has its own responsibility to prepare, we have seen this across a number of sports, swimming, cycling, athletics.
    GB sport appears to have found the anti-philosopher's stone, that turns gold into silver....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,265
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    Yes, but is the pronunciation of the first two syllables like Karma?
    The first syllable is pronounced like ‘comma’ - but only if you’re saying it like a west coast American,
    Hence the confusion; Americans don’t pronounce vowels like we do.

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, there's something off about the formula this year.
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

it's probably just other nations upping their game, especially France in this Games - as host nations generally do

That's enough in extremely tight conditions to edge us out of a few golds. Also, Australia have done especially well this year

If we finish in the top 5 that is still highly creditable, and another good performance, albeit not as good as Tokyo etc

Yes and no, to have so many close calls is the issue that needs an inquest, not the overall performances. We shouldn't have been on the wrong side of so many 50/50s which speaks to some kind of prep issue.
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    The first syllable is pronounced like ‘comma’ - but only if you’re saying it like a west coast American,
    Correction - saying it like an American from West, North, East AND South.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,036

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

GB sport appears to have found the anti-philosopher's stone, that turns gold into silver....
    Way too many silvers for Team GB, including when the frontrunner screwed up. The Americans metaphorically dropping the baton in the 4x100m is a great example, that could and should have been a British gold.

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Well indeed.
    Though there’s not a little regional variation there, and Harris is west coast.
    Heptathlon athletes all totally broken after 800m. It’s the most horrible event of all, to end two days of competition.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,545
    It's out of KJTs hands she needs assistance from Thiam

200m yesterday and LJ cost us an epic finish

Even if KJT runs a PB the only way she can win is for Thiam to run 2 secs outside of her PB

Fingers crossed bit 1/2 this morning on Thiam has long gone 1/6 now
    Does this mean Ukraine controls Hungary’s gas supply ?
    https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1821949619216990321

It's out of KJTs hands she needs assistance from Thiam

200m yesterday and LJ cost us an epic finish

Even if KJT runs a PB the only way she can win is for Thiam to run 2 secs outside of her PB

Fingers crossed bit 1/2 this morning on Thiam has long gone 1/6 now

Or she runs 2 sec quicker than her PB.

Positive vibes, BJO.
    Good effort.
    edited August 9
    If only she'd got that extra 30cm in the long jump yesterday :/
    Looks like silver for KJT.
    Great effort from KJT but silver it is. Think Thiam may have run a PB there
    MaxPB said:

If only she'd got that extra 30cm in the long jump yesterday :/

Can’t ask more than a PB to finish, though.
    So close for KJT, but no cigar.
    Such a shame. Sums up our whole Olympics. We will need to get another gold to finish top 5 and I can't see where it comes from. Possibly in cycling but as I commented earlier this is one area where we have been falling short.

Maybe I'm being harsh
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Silver for KJT.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,198
    Come on KJT. You so deserve this. Run your heart out.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 669
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Way too many silvers for Team GB, including when the frontrunner screwed up. The Americans metaphorically dropping the baton in the 4x100m is a great example, that could and should have been a British gold.
    The woman who got silver in Track was robbed of gold. She should have got it. Also, the Charlotte Dujardin scandal smacks of a set up by a rival. She usually gets a gold.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,735

Does (perhaps) JD Vance pronounce "JD" as "Jed" as in Jed Clampett?

Probably NOT seeing as how JDV is a Recovering Hillbilly!

The Beverly Hillbillies Opening and Closing Theme (starts at 0:30)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvE9zJgm8OY&t=4s

At least the Beverley Hillbillies were amusing, sometimes. JDV is more like a horror movie.
    edited August 9
    GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

She made the comments 15 years ago. Also, Estonians are Europeans, so not sure how racism comes into it.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Well indeed.
    Have personally heard very little regional variation is US pronounciation of "comma".

Except perhaps some with very pronounced Southern accents may say "kaaah-mah" but that's about it; have never heard a native speaker of US English insert an "r" sound.
    France and GB both have the same number of medals of each type: 14 golds, 20 silvers, 22 bronzes.

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/medals?AnonymousID=6b3a60c7-2425-4291-8ffa-a8de18b67621
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

She made the comments 15 years ago. Also, Estonians are Europeans, so not sure how racism comes into it.
    That's the least of the problems with the tweet.

So LJ of 6.52m by KJT instead of 6.40m would have resulted in a 1pt win

Her LJ PB was 6.93m but since her double achilles rupture it is 6.60
    One of these triple jumpers looks like they might have a go at the Olympic record.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Well indeed.
    Have personally heard very little regional variation is US pronounciation of "comma".

Except perhaps some with very pronounced Southern accents may say "kaaah-mah" but that's about it; have never heard a native speaker of US English insert an "r" sound.
    There’s no ‘r’ in comma. :smile:

To do 4 Olympic cycles in this most brutal of athletic events is an astonishing achievement. Thiamin is a phenomenon. Arguably the GOAT, even ahead of the great Jessica. To come second to her is no disgrace and with a PB too.
    Ugh, no! The Germans are suddenly catching up!

So disappointing, after she smashed her shot put PB last night I really thought she might be on for the gold today. Thiam once again the best overall athlete to turn up.
    Go Eilish

A McColgan has won a global level 10,000m 👍
    I've always admired the American way of ranking the medals, by total, which makes complete sense, and - right now - has Team GB in third
    10,000m, the only race where the athletes themselves start their watches when the gun goes off?

Go on Eilish.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,315
    Anthony Blinken has Tweeted this.

We’re sending Ukraine a significant new package of urgently needed munitions. This support will help Ukraine protect its troops and its people and reinforce its capabilities across the front lines.

https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1821972991632355821

I guess the USG is not too upset about the ongoing Ukranian raid in Russia's Kursk region.

https://x.com/AmbDanFried/status/1821981637292286046

Go Eilish

A McColgan has won a global level 10,000m 👍

A Dundonian and at my kids school. But she has had a terrible run up to this.
    I can't post a video yet, but another 6-8 vehicle russian convoy with infantry was destroyed by Ukrainian Armed Forces on the highway around Sudzha.

that's all i can say. i am sure the videos will be released later by our mil.

https://x.com/Teoyaomiquu/status/1821941222895743000
    Leon said:

I've always admired the American way of ranking the medals, by total, which makes complete sense, and - right now - has Team GB in third

Nah, more fun to give 3 points for each Gold, 2 for each Silver, and 1 for each Bronze.

Anthony Blinken has Tweeted this.

We’re sending Ukraine a significant new package of urgently needed munitions. This support will help Ukraine protect its troops and its people and reinforce its capabilities across the front lines.

https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1821972991632355821

I guess the USG is not too upset about the ongoing Ukranian raid in Russia's Kursk region.

https://x.com/AmbDanFried/status/1821981637292286046

Ukranian raid into Russia, what Ukranian raid into Russia? There’s definitely no Ukranian raid into Russia…
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,195
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

The thing about all this is that it isn't really to do with justice or morality. The 'violent disorder' last week is an attack on the authority of the state. If you get caught up in it, even by mistake, you go to to prison for a long time, but only in a context where the 'disorder' is posing a threat to the state. If it is something isolated then you are just a typical low level offender passing through the justice system; you will probably get some kind of 'community order' or a 'suspended sentence'. This is a good reason to always stay away from political protests and probably why the foreign office advice says 'stay away from protests' when going to foreign countries.
    Spain beat France 5-3 in the footy final after Extra Time (3-3 after 90 mins).

Spain beat France 5-3 in the footy final after Extra Time (3-3 after 90 mins).

Feck, this is a dream time to be a Spanish football fan.
    According to Wiki, Eilish is 5’9” tall, but she looks to be way taller than everyone else in the 10km race.
    O/T

"Brazil latest updates: No survivors after passenger plane crashes in residential area of Sao Paulo

A passenger plane has crashed in a residential area of a city in Brazil's Sao Paulo state. The airline has said 62 people were on board the flight. Stay here for the latest updates."

https://news.sky.com/story/brazil-latest-updates-passenger-plane-crashes-in-residential-area-of-sao-paulo-13194169
    darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

The thing about all this is that it isn't really to do with justice or morality. The 'violent disorder' last week is an attack on the authority of the state. If you get caught up in it, even by mistake, you go to to prison for a long time, but only in a context where the 'disorder' is posing a threat to the state. If it is something isolated then you are just a typical low level offender passing through the justice system; you will probably get some kind of 'community order' or a 'suspended sentence'. This is a good reason to always stay away from political protests and probably why the foreign office advice says 'stay away from protests' when going to foreign countries.
    You can and should send out hard, deterrent sentences for violence or serious incitement, without over-doing it on random people at the periphery

Neither the Facebook guy nor the Labour councillor were present at any trouble. The Facebook guy just sent ugly probably racist emojis to a Facebook family member, the Labour councill said one truly mad sentence about throat slitting but it seems entirely out of character

Both deserve punishment and public shaming, they have both got that. Jail sentences? Hmmm

What worries me is that all this seems part and parcel of the state seizing yet more power to bully, surveil, and censor the individual, and more loss of free speech
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Brazil latest updates: No survivors after passenger plane crashes in residential area of Sao Paulo

A passenger plane has crashed in a residential area of a city in Brazil's Sao Paulo state. The airline has said 62 people were on board the flight. Stay here for the latest updates."

https://news.sky.com/story/brazil-latest-updates-passenger-plane-crashes-in-residential-area-of-sao-paulo-13194169

Jeez. One hopes it isn't Boeing
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

No - ATR 72.
    Thiam got a PB in the 800m, well done in what’s not a good event for her. She could see KJT in front of her in the race, and knew what the gap between then needed to be!
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,843
    edited August 9
    I can't help wondering whether this bit of history might help explain why the Ukrainians picked Kursk as an objective:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

(My apologies if someone else made this point earlier. I don't always have time to wade through all the comments, on any given day.)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,251
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Apparently an ATR-72

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,479
    edited August 9
    Leon said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

You can and should send out hard, deterrent sentences for violence or serious incitement, without over-doing it on random people at the periphery

Neither the Facebook guy nor the Labour councillor were present at any trouble. The Facebook guy just sent ugly probably racist emojis to a Facebook family member, the Labour councill said one truly mad sentence about throat slitting but it seems entirely out of character

Both deserve punishment and public shaming, they have both got that. Jail sentences? Hmmm

What worries me is that all this seems part and parcel of the state seizing yet more power to bully, surveil, and censor the individual, and more loss of free speech
    I feel like this is the sort of thing that doesn’t come under tremendous scrutiny (certainly in the mainstream media) at the time but in hindsight will get picked up with a bit of a “huh? hang on a sec…”

Disclaimer, I don’t know what has been said or the full facts. But significant prison time feels a bit disproportionate, from a first glance at the story. Particularly when you see what some people get for other offences.
    edited August 9
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Not a Boeing, an ATR-72.

They don’t have a habit of crashing, will be really interested to see what happened. There’s video footage of what looks like a spin.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,468

Tres said:

Photo of the day

Because he’s a lazy, tight arsehole.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897
    boulay said:

Etiquette advice please. I’m sitting outside a bar and there is a blonde influencer type sitting with her friend on high stools opposite me. Influencer has obviously decided it’s too hot for underwear so everything is on show at my eye level.

I’m finding it difficult holding phone so it’s absolutely clear I’m not filming her.

My question is whether it’s considered good manners nowadays to tell someone you are typing on a politics site and not filming an admittedly very pretty fanny or do I just keep obviously looking dramatically in all other directions?

just enjoy your luck, question is why you posting

I can't help wondering whether this bit of history might help explain why the Ukrainians picked Kursk as an objective:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

(My apologies if someone else made this point earlier. I don't always have time to wade through all the comments, on any given day.)

But got to watch out for those mothballed T-34s, surely ?
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

AI Summary of transcript

Dr Lindsey discusses the pronunciation of Vice President Kamala Harris's name, particularly in the context of differing English dialects. He highlights how her name, derived from Sanskrit meaning "lotus," has led to various pronunciations, notably "Kamala" pronounced like "camel" or "koala." The discussion emphasizes the challenges English speakers like Rory Campbell and Alastair Stewart face when encountering exotic names, particularly those that do not conform to familiar phonetic patterns.

He explains two primary approaches to pronouncing exotic words: nativization, where the word is adapted to fit English pronunciation norms, and non-assimilation, where the original pronunciation is retained. He notes that American English has increasingly adopted a non-assimilation strategy, which has influenced the majority pronunciation of "Kamala" in the U.S. However, this approach is less familiar to British speakers, who may default to nativized pronunciations.

The concept of trisyllabic shortening is introduced, explaining how the length of vowels in three-syllable words affects pronunciation. This linguistic phenomenon complicates the adoption of the American pronunciation for British speakers, who retain distinctions between short and long vowels. He also touches on the phonetic nuances of the name, suggesting that the correct pronunciation lies somewhere between the American and British vowel sounds.

He concludes with an acknowledgment of the ongoing learning process for speakers like Rory and Alastair, who are adapting their pronunciations. It suggests that, as Kamala Harris gains prominence, British speakers may settle on a pronunciation that aligns more closely with their phonetic systems, such as "camel-a" or "karma-la."
    fecking clowns , say it as it is rather than butt licking clowns who cannot even pronounce a name properly
    Leon said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Sometimes you need some punitive punishments handed down and publicised to get a grip. It worked in 2011 and it seems to be working now. Hopefully the Appeal Court will review some of these sentences once things have died down a bit.
    SandraMc said:

Nigelb said:

The Madison is completely bonkers.
    I like it.

The breakdancing is dumb.

I hate it.
    I think it is great. It's very athletic.
    for retreads only

pm215 said:

Nigelb said:

If you want the linguistics take on the question try https://youtu.be/NihLE-wh0xc . Among the points Geoff Lindsey makes is that the problem is exacerbated for those of us on this side of the pond by our set of vowels not including the one that the VP (and most Americans) use in her name.
    Personally don't give a blind fiddler's farewell fuck how you Brits pronounce your own names, let alone Kamala Harris's.

Though it IS amusing to speculate that you UKer's pronounce "Leon" as "Leer-on"?
    you pissed
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,288

Andy_JS said:

"Ukraine wipes out entire battalion inside Russia ‘in one of war’s bloodiest strikes’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/08/09/russian-drives-past-destruction-ukraine-missile-strike/

It doesn't look like the reports of HIMARS being used are true - the destruction is limited to the vehicles. Houses next to the road look untouched....
    The Khorne group within the 116th mechanised brigade have shared footage of the strike. They don't say, but it looks like drone-corrected artillery fire. Sadly the first shot was partway down the column and some of the vehicles at the front escaped, but still good work.
    edited August 9
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Not a Boeing, an ATR-72.

They don’t have a habit of crashing, will be really interested to see what happened. There’s video footage of what looks like a spin.
    Oh yum. On one of those next week from Riga to Helsinki. Hopefully better maintained.
    Breakdancing at the Olympics was a mistake. I hope they dump it for 2028 or 2032. It's not a proper sport.
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

only if you are mental and uneducated
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,195
    Leon said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

The view in 'prison reform' circles is that the government have held off going after people at the periphery this time around, unlike 2011, which may be representative of wisdom on the part of Starmer, I would like to think so at least.

My broader point though that, aside from the arson which is deadly serious, most of this stuff attracting long jail sentences is low level clumsy assaults of police officers, a bit of criminal damage here and there, throwing some wheely bins around, some unwise facebook posts etc, just some kind of stuff that would normally mean a night in the cells at the most but is now a life changing event for the people involved. That is because it is a historic event, the authority of the state is being challenged in an existential way.

I share your sympathy with the unfortunate labour councillor, but he has to be remanded, because if he isn't then it could aggravate the rioting on the other side that has caused an existential problem for the state. Perhaps if things calm down he will be let out with some mitigation, ie it was self defence, he felt as though he was under attack (as is the case with the other 'defenders' that have been sent to jail). It does at least show that there is effort by the state to debunk the 'two tier keir' allegation.

I don't think Starmer is an authoritarian in the way you are fearing, he has spent too long as a human rights lawyer. But probably an exception in the labour party.

Italy almost take a shock gold in the women's 10,000 metres. Kenya win.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,468
    Sow far, sow good.
    Andy_JS said:

What happened to Eilish???
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,479
    Feels like there have been a lot of agonising near misses for Team GB in these Olympics. But fundamentally shows how strong a position we’re in nowadays to still be 4th in the medals table despite having a few disappointments. I think of the days when we were getting 1-5 golds in a games. I know the sports programme has expanded since then but we really do well in Olympics nowadays.
    Andy_JS said:

That was a ridiculously slow race, they all ran way off the pace until the last lap. But a Kenyan national record for the winner!
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,986
    GB and France remain hilariously close in the medals table.

GB G14 S20 B23
    France G14 S20 B22

So we’ve just overtaken them but they only need a bronze to be identical to us.
This discussion has been closed.