Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is absolutely not weird from Trump’s son, it is homophobic, but not weir – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,029
edited August 26 in General
This is absolutely not weird from Trump’s son, it is homophobic, but not weird – politicalbetting.com

Big if true pic.twitter.com/14ImlXNsu4

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    1st like Trump?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,336
    edited August 9
    2nd like Trump

Because with campaign ideas as crap as this one he isn't coming first.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,470
    The Nazis and Edge Lords are edging away from sad old Trumpy. Normally I'd think that was marginally positive for him, but who else has he got?

https://x.com/scksgrypr/status/1821371059490480470
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,590
    I think he was just horsing around.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075
    "the worst human being in history called Donald Trump."

...that we have publicly available evidence for
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,111
    Yucky isn't it. But bang on brand. Here below is a Kathleen Stock article on this topic - the crassness of the Right. She's critical, hence much outrage from the faux-learned ghouls btl.

https://unherd.com/2024/08/britains-right-is-just-as-weird/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&utm_source=UnHerd+Today&utm_campaign=5c0ebb9b3a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2024_08_09_08_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_79fd0df946-5c0ebb9b3a-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    edited August 9
    Secret Seventh.

And NOT dethreaded by Teasy. For the first time since about April Fools Day 1934, when Dore in Derbyshire was invaded and annexed by Yorkshire.

On the header ... what?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,513
    FPT:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK this is fucking ridiculous

🇬🇧MAN JAILED IN UK FOR COMMENTING ON FACEBOOK POST ABOUT RIOTS

31-year-old Billy Thompson was sent to prison for 12 weeks after he replied "Filthy ba**ards" on a post about the Police issuing a dispersal order to try and prevent protests from becoming violent.

It also included emojis of an ethnic minority person and a gun.

His lawyer said Billy had made the comment as part of an online Facebook conversation with a family member.

The judge found him guilty of encouraging violence and imposed the sentence to "discourage the kind of violent behavior that such messages encouraged."

Judge Temperley:

"It may be right that the starting point [sentence] is a community order for this offense, but I am afraid this has to be viewed within the context of the current civil unrest up and down the country."

Source: NW Evening Mail

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1821796789327982937

emojis of an ethnic minority person and a gun

Inciting or threatening violence is a crime in every country. That's not ridiculous.

Free speech doesn't give you a right to threaten others with guns.
    He typed an EMOJI on a family Facebook chat

Do you want the state to go through all of your messages, WhatsApps, emails, Youtube comments, letters and posts, and find a dubious emoji or two, which they interpret in the worst possible light, and then slam you in jail?
    Was it actually on the family chat? The sentence is disgraceful either way, but did a family member dob him in or something?
    According to the BBC report it wasn't on private chat.

Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard that Billy Thompson, 31, posted online in response to Cumbria Police announcing a dispersal order over potential planned disorder on Wednesday.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyn24p3e5ro

By the way, why is the sentence disgraceful?

Because someone got a suspended sentence for rape the other day.
    Because they were 12.
    I have no wish to look it up to verify that fact.
    They didn't get a suspended sentence for rape.
    Then I withdraw the comment, but not my opinion that the sentence is excessive. It was a deeply offensive and disgusting post, but the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332
    Harris addresses her biggest weakness head on.
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1821899889007317307

The Nazis and Edge Lords are edging away from sad old Trumpy. Normally I'd think that was marginally positive for him, but who else has he got?

So he's lost the "4channers" and the "Groypers" then. That sounds bad. I wonder where they've gone?
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 504
    Thoughts and prayers with the Republicans. Fighting the last war with potty mouthed crassness, whilst everyone else is moving on, and jumping onboard the Ed Davey-style groovy train...

(More seriously, the Tim Walz interview with Ezra Klein is well worth a listen if you want to get *why* Tim Walz has scared the Trumpies shitless. He appeals rather powerfully to his base in thought, word AND deed. Very impressed)
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    kinabalu said:

So he's lost the "4channers" and the "Groypers" then. That sounds bad. I wonder where they've gone?
    Cynically, does a Harris presidency give them more opportunities for sensational bullshit to monetise? Trump is old news.

Thoughts and prayers with the Republicans. Fighting the last war with potty mouthed crassness, whilst everyone else is moving on, and jumping onboard the Ed Davey-style groovy train...

(More seriously, the Tim Walz interview with Ezra Klein is well worth a listen if you want to get *why* Tim Walz has scared the Trumpies shitless. He appeals rather powerfully to his base in thought, word AND deed. Very impressed)

Funnily enough when I 'discovered' Walz my first thought was this is an American Ed Davey plus bite and comic timing.
    kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Cynically, does a Harris presidency give them more opportunities for sensational bullshit to monetise? Trump is old news.
    Quite. Until 'Space Karen' runs for President (of the World) they'll be scratching around for someone else.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,307
    I think this cartoon is the problem with the jokes about Vance's relationship with couches. It's amusing for each side's supporters, but it feeds the feeling that both sides are as bad as each other - which I think is to Trump's advantage.

So, that said, the best approach for the Democrats is to ignore stuff like this. Certainly not to complain about it.
    kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, I don't know. That whole space is a bit of a mystery to me.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,890
    Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 233

FPT:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

31-year-old Billy Thompson was sent to prison for 12 weeks after he replied "Filthy ba**ards" on a post about the Police issuing a dispersal order to try and prevent protests from becoming violent.

His lawyer said Billy had made the comment as part of an online Facebook conversation with a family member.

The judge found him guilty of encouraging violence and imposed the sentence to "discourage the kind of violent behavior that such messages encouraged."

Judge Temperley:

"It may be right that the starting point [sentence] is a community order for this offense, but I am afraid this has to be viewed within the context of the current civil unrest up and down the country."

Inciting or threatening violence is a crime in every country. That's not ridiculous.

Do you want the state to go through all of your messages, WhatsApps, emails, Youtube comments, letters and posts, and find a dubious emoji or two, which they interpret in the worst possible light, and then slam you in jail?
    Was it actually on the family chat? The sentence is disgraceful either way, but did a family member dob him in or something?

Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard that Billy Thompson, 31, posted online in response to Cumbria Police announcing a dispersal order over potential planned disorder on Wednesday.

Because they were 12.
    Then I withdraw the comment, but not my opinion that the sentence is excessive. It was a deeply offensive and disgusting post, but the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
    A clearly racist and threatening communication on a public forum (albeit an emoji) by someone with 9 previous convictions. 12 weeks, out in 4, that it's unlikely there'll be any prospect of rehabilitation in that time seems to be the only reasonable criticism.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,352
    GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

My boy Dave (pbuh) was right about Twitter (like everything else).
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    Dopermean said:

FPT:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Judge Temperley:

Because they were 12.
    A clearly racist and threatening communication on a public forum (albeit an emoji) by someone with 9 previous convictions. 12 weeks, out in 4, that it's unlikely there'll be any prospect of rehabilitation in that time seems to be the only reasonable criticism.
    To be fair, it would normally get something like 200 hours community service but just like in 2011 the sentence is longer to stop other people doing the same thing.

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,180
    GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

Do you reckon it's historical enough for her to survive? I think she's going to have to go, becuase it's so direct. No "context" for that Estonians tweet.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,942
    edited August 9
    So this is a cartoon saying that Tim Walz sucks horse cock and swallows.

Pause.

OK. American politics be weird now :(
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

Do you reckon it's historical enough for her to survive? I think she's going to have to go, becuase it's so direct. No "context" for that Estonians tweet.
    Aside from the language, it's very revealing about who Labour select as their candidates. A landlord who worked for the Bank of England.
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

Move to Reform?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511
    I think it is worth the Dems retweeting it and pointing out this is what Donald Trump tweeted (can leave the Jnr off for added mischief, although probably not a good idea) and asking if anyone like this should be anywhere the presidency.

I wonder how many people, including children, are asking what it means? That should lead to some very embarrassing conversations.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,290
    Etiquette advice please. I’m sitting outside a bar and there is a blonde influencer type sitting with her friend on high stools opposite me. Influencer has obviously decided it’s too hot for underwear so everything is on show at my eye level.

I’m finding it difficult holding phone so it’s absolutely clear I’m not filming her.

My question is whether it’s considered good manners nowadays to tell someone you are typing on a politics site and not filming an admittedly very pretty fanny or do I just keep obviously looking dramatically in all other directions?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,307
    boulay said:

Etiquette advice please. I’m sitting outside a bar and there is a blonde influencer type sitting with her friend on high stools opposite me. Influencer has obviously decided it’s too hot for underwear so everything is on show at my eye level.

I’m finding it difficult holding phone so it’s absolutely clear I’m not filming her.

My question is whether it’s considered good manners nowadays to tell someone you are typing on a politics site and not filming an admittedly very pretty fanny or do I just keep obviously looking dramatically in all other directions?

The easiest way to avoid looking like you are filming them would be to put the phone away and sit next to them and talk to them. If you want to do that.

It's not too hot for underwear in Ireland, alas.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,290

boulay said:

The easiest way to avoid looking like you are filming them would be to put the phone away and sit next to them and talk to them. If you want to do that.

Not interested in talking to them to be honest as waiting for my friends to turn up and just started seeing someone soon shouldn’t be chatting up female flashers in bars anymore.
    tlg86 said:

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

Aside from the language, it's very revealing about who Labour select as their candidates. A landlord who worked for the Bank of England.
    There's nothing wrong with working for the Bank of England!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    Nigelb said:

Missed a trick in that ad.

Should have said, 'Sponsored the toughest border bill in decades, only to see it blocked in Congress by Republicans following Trump's orders.'
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,645
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Not interested in talking to them to be honest as waiting for my friends to turn up and just started seeing someone soon shouldn’t be chatting up female flashers in bars anymore.
    I believe this is the correct etiquette - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4
    boulay said:

I'd tell her the problem in a kindly non-judgemental manner.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,279
    boulay said:

Just switch to your binoculars.
    Miles Hammond has just received the filthiest LBW decision since the glory days when Nasser Hussain was given out in Pakistan having middled the ball. Pitched outside leg and was going further down leg.

But - after 157 off 113 I suppose he may feel that it's not as important as it might have been.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Should have said, 'Sponsored the toughest border bill in decades, only to see it blocked in Congress by Republicans following Trump's orders.'
    Perhaps. But they're going for relentless positivity now. It's a significant pivot.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I think they used that in an earlier one.
    kinabalu said:

Didn't Fuentes get a nice dinner at Margo Largo with Trump the other week?

Guess it didn't go well in the end.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    ydoethur said:

Miles Hammond has just received the filthiest LBW decision since the glory days when Nasser Hussain was given out in Pakistan having middled the ball. Pitched outside leg and was going further down leg.

But - after 157 off 113 I suppose he may feel that it's not as important as it might have been.

No reviews?
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

No reviews?
    No. Livestream doesn't count as televised and in any case there are only two umpires.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

In general I would say an informal statute of limitations applies as long as you are are sufficiently mortified by your behaviour of many years ago.

The issue would be a lingering suspicion she might still hold these views.

I suspect she will hold on.

boulay said:

Are you suggesting the weather is a bit pants?
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Or maybe it's Bloomers day.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

That's terrible. Back in your box-sir.
    Space Comedy

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/08/a-new-report-finds-boeings-rockets-are-built-with-an-unqualified-work-force/

Boeing - the company that can't find competent welders in Louisiana. A state that lives on the oil industry....

Note that NASA has been giving Boeing the maximum marks *and financial bonuses* for work done on SLS so far. Just as Northrup Grumman got the same for its spectacular fuckups on the Webb telescope.

This is because Boeing is in trouble and has many, many friends on all sides of politics and at NASA.

Boeing will impact the election - In mid August, a decision will be taken, to either return the Boeing Starliner capsule empty or with astronauts on board.

If it is empty, this is huge black mark against Boeing, by the administration. Boeing will call in all its political markers to fight that.

If it has the astronauts on board and something goes wrong.... that will be on the administration.

The final call on this will be by the NASA administrator - former Democrat Senator, Bill "Ballast"* Nelson, who is a well known... friend... of Boeing.

Further, Harris, as VP, chairs the National Space Council and is heavily involved in the politics of the space program.

*He got the name by using political pull, when in Congress, to get a flight on the Space Shuttle. The professional astronauts were not impressed and referred to him as "The Ballast"
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Not at all. Dubliners shows that Joyce was great at shorts stories.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

His ego was at least legendary. Why? Fronts of bravado were a thing.

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

At least spell it right. It's TWATTER.
    edited August 9

FPT:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Judge Temperley:

Because they were 12.
    Sentencing is following the pattern of the 2011 Riots; this will stop those who are around the edges or who think it is a game. I think he is the first one I have seen sentenced for an offence under what I think is the 2003 Communication Act, I think Section 1. He pled guilty to:

sending a message that was grossly offensive, or of indecent, obscene or menacing character by means of a public electronic communications network

He has a whole basket of aggravating factors and a significant criminal record (not sure if taken it account).

Characterising it as "a message on Facebook" is like those on the Left who characterised Roger Hallam's offence as "talking about holding a peaceful protest" imo. It's ignoring context.

I'd like to see reporting of the actual offences with which defendants are charged. Most of it seems to be Public Order Act 1986, but we may see more related to more recent legislation as used for the JSO conspirators.
  • Andy_JS said:

"Ukraine wipes out entire battalion inside Russia ‘in one of war’s bloodiest strikes’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/08/09/russian-drives-past-destruction-ukraine-missile-strike/

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind.
    FF43 said:

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

In general I would say an informal statute of limitations applies as long as you are are sufficiently mortified by your behaviour of many years ago.

The issue would be a lingering suspicion she might still hold these views.

I suspect she will hold on.
    kinabalu said:

Funnily enough when I 'discovered' Walz my first thought was this is an American Ed Davey plus bite and comic timing.
    I know Ezra gave him a hard time (he could have been a lot more aggressive on digging into the discussion on masculinity for example) but Walz has this almost amazing ability to bring the focus of conversations to very clear, benefits-orientated reasons to vote for him / his party. It's mesmerising actually, a very talented operator.
    A by-election in Rochester and Strood would be the last thing Starmer wants.
    tlg86 said:

With that majority? He wouldn't care.

But I doubt if this will go anywhere.
    The Madison is completely bonkers.
    I like it.
    edited August 9
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Oh, how could I forget the pantybats? Terrified me as a schoolboy just reading about them.

GIN1138 said:

Lauren Edwards MP - LOL!

At least spell it right. It's TWATTER.
    "Twitter isn't Britain" now sounds more like a country passing judgment on whether they stay on that platform tbf
    Andy_JS said:

"Ukraine wipes out entire battalion inside Russia ‘in one of war’s bloodiest strikes’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/08/09/russian-drives-past-destruction-ukraine-missile-strike/

It doesn't look like the reports of HIMARS being used are true - the destruction is limited to the vehicles. Houses next to the road look untouched....
  • FossFoss Posts: 879
    tlg86 said:

Good sport for us tho'.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Oh, how could I forget the pantybats? Terrified me as a schoolboy just reading about them.
    How indeed?

You must have made a slip somewhere.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    edited August 9
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

If it does, purveyor of misrepresentation, Nige, would have the momentum I suspect.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,756

sending a message that was grossly offensive, or of indecent, obscene or menacing character by means of a public electronic communications network

Surely all party political broadcasts fall under this?
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

It's more that it's a return to a location with bad memories for Labour. Reform gain would be my guess (not great for the Tories, of course).
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964
    Nigelb said:

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    Foss said:

tlg86 said:

Good sport for us tho'.
    Bearing in mind what Farage has been up to without recourse over the last fortnight, he doesn't deserve the win.
    edited August 9
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

If an influencer, she will be wanting to be fillumed.

I would put your phone on loud speech and have a convo about Sharon Stone.

Nigelb said:

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
    That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9v8njgr2kvo

Had forgotten it was Burry Day at the Ferry. But I rather think the report has it slightly wrong about the need for a hefty gadgie to do the job:

'[...] the role of Burryman requires a "stout man or robust lad" for the role, as "weakly persons" may faint under the heat and fatigue that comes from the impressive burr suit.

Mr Taylor made 20 pit stops on his journey - which includes the homes of important local people - receiving a dram of whisky or cash donation which is given to local charities.

The procession concludes near the Forth Bridge at 18:00.'

Nigelb said:

That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    Apple has ramped up iPhone 16 production in expectation of high demand, leading Foxconn to hire 50,000 new workers in just two weeks

MacRumours

50K new workers hired in two weeks!! Incredible.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496

Apple has ramped up iPhone 16 production in expectation of high demand, leading Foxconn to hire 50,000 new workers in just two weeks

MacRumours

50K new workers hired in two weeks!! Incredible.

Isn't it the equivalent of activating people on zero-hours contracts?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,012
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    Where is this "no jail time in the UK for raping children" talking point coming from?

I'm seeing some of the right / far right conspiraloon lobby throwing it around on Twitter.

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    Yes, but is the pronunciation of the first two syllables like Karma?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529
    MattW said:

Where is this "no jail time in the UK for raping children" talking point coming from?

I'm seeing some of the right / far right conspiraloon lobby throwing it around on Twitter.

Grooming gangs I presume?
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, but is the pronunciation of the first two syllables like Karma?
    Emphasis on the first syllabubble.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,131

Nigelb said:

Clearly some PBers have NOT been paying atttention, we've already had this freaking debate!

Kamala Harris pronounces her first name "Kom-a-la" with even stress on each sylable, just like the narrarator of the add says it.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,756

MattW said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66937137#:~:text=Hogg was found guilty of,for people aged under 25.
    maybe
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,456
    Re Header. Quite unbelievable that such things can be said.
    edited August 9

MattW said:

Comment by Vera Baird, former Victims’ Commissioner and Solicitor General for England and Wales

Sexual violence and rape have effectively been decriminalised under the Conservatives.

Barely one in every 100 reported rapes results in a charge by the police.

For the first time, rape victims face a typical delay of more than three years for their case to be completed in court.

Think back to what you were doing three years ago, then imagine having the prospect of reliving your trauma in a courtroom hanging over you all that time.

Delays mean witnesses can forget vital details and cases collapse.

It’s no wonder that two-thirds of rape victims withdraw from their case before it reaches court.

Rape victims are being let down, and rapists are being let off – left to roam the streets unpunished, putting others at risk.

Of course, the Conservatives blame the courts backlog for this crisis. And rightly they should.

This backlog has materialised because of their political choices, closing over 240 courts across the country since 2010.

This cannot go on. And Labour has the solutions needed to speed up justice for rape victims.

The party has outlined detailed plans to establish specialist rape courts to fast-track rape cases through the system - bringing down the unacceptable waiting times and delays.

Labour will ensure that Section 28 – allowing vulnerable and intimidated witnesses to video record their cross-examination before the trial - is the norm.

To tackle the courts backlog, a Labour Government would deliver a 50 per cent increase in the number of prosecutors, setting them all to work on tackling the record backlogs across Magistrates’ and Crown Courts.

But speed is not the only thing causing victims to be retraumatized by the justice system. The process is weighted against them.

Many feel they are being investigated themselves, with prosecutors demanding huge amounts of personal information. This can have catastrophic impacts on their mental health.

Labour will ensure that victims are not forced to endure prolonged processes, speeding up their access to justice.

We will overhaul police vetting, standards and training, ensuring victims experience support from the officers they report their case to.

But for the shameful rape conviction rate in this country to be addressed, we must end the harmful, misogynist culture which enters courtrooms.

Labour’s plan for better training for professionals around rape myths and stereotypes is long overdue and cannot come soon enough.

Too many women and girls across our country fear they might become yet another statistic in the rising tide of sexual violence.

This Conservative Government is failing in their duty to protect them.

It is time for a fresh start with a Labour Government that will prevent sexual violence, punish rapists and protect women and girls.

?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519

Nigelb said:

Clearly some PBers have NOT been paying atttention, we've already had this freaking debate!

Kamala Harris pronounces her first name "Kom-a-la" with even stress on each sylable, just like the narrarator of the add says it.
    I find there’s a growing divide between people (like me) who read news and those who watch or listen to it. As someone who likes to think of himself as being pretty up to speed on current affairs I was pronouncing it wrong until 10 days ago. Then again, I did mispronounce premise as “prem-ize” until I was about 27
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,246
    Nigelb said:

I like it.

The breakdancing is dumb.

I hate it.
    boulay said:

Change seats for goodness sake!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

To get a superior view? Could seem a bit creepy, TBH
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,078

Nigelb said:

If you want the linguistics take on the question try https://youtu.be/NihLE-wh0xc . Among the points Geoff Lindsey makes is that the problem is exacerbated for those of us on this side of the pond by our set of vowels not including the one that the VP (and most Americans) use in her name.
    pm215 said:

Nigelb said:

If you want the linguistics take on the question try https://youtu.be/NihLE-wh0xc . Among the points Geoff Lindsey makes is that the problem is exacerbated for those of us on this side of the pond by our set of vowels not including the one that the VP (and most Americans) use in her name.
    Personally don't give a blind fiddler's farewell fuck how you Brits pronounce your own names, let alone Kamala Harris's.

Though it IS amusing to speculate that you UKer's pronounce "Leon" as "Leer-on"?
    The illustration at top of this thread, is just more evidence that the Trump-Vance campaign is being running by a pack of morons. In large measure because DJT has run off just about anybody who is NOT a moron from MAGA-world.

And it shows!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,180
    "Cut their throats" Labour councillor charged and remanded:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/credz9gl92yo
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

I find there’s a growing divide between people (like me) who read news and those who watch or listen to it. As someone who likes to think of himself as being pretty up to speed on current affairs I was pronouncing it wrong until 10 days ago. Then again, I did mispronounce premise as “prem-ize” until I was about 27
    Re: pronouncing the "K word" was in the same boat until about the same time as you!

And we were NOT along, on either side of the Atlantic OR Pacific.

Nigelb said:

"Why it's so HARD to pronounce KAMALA", Dr Geoff Lindsey, 5 Aug 2024. YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihLE-wh0xc

AI Summary of transcript

Dr Lindsey discusses the pronunciation of Vice President Kamala Harris's name, particularly in the context of differing English dialects. He highlights how her name, derived from Sanskrit meaning "lotus," has led to various pronunciations, notably "Kamala" pronounced like "camel" or "koala." The discussion emphasizes the challenges English speakers like Rory Campbell and Alastair Stewart face when encountering exotic names, particularly those that do not conform to familiar phonetic patterns.

He explains two primary approaches to pronouncing exotic words: nativization, where the word is adapted to fit English pronunciation norms, and non-assimilation, where the original pronunciation is retained. He notes that American English has increasingly adopted a non-assimilation strategy, which has influenced the majority pronunciation of "Kamala" in the U.S. However, this approach is less familiar to British speakers, who may default to nativized pronunciations.

The concept of trisyllabic shortening is introduced, explaining how the length of vowels in three-syllable words affects pronunciation. This linguistic phenomenon complicates the adoption of the American pronunciation for British speakers, who retain distinctions between short and long vowels. He also touches on the phonetic nuances of the name, suggesting that the correct pronunciation lies somewhere between the American and British vowel sounds.

He concludes with an acknowledgment of the ongoing learning process for speakers like Rory and Alastair, who are adapting their pronunciations. It suggests that, as Kamala Harris gains prominence, British speakers may settle on a pronunciation that aligns more closely with their phonetic systems, such as "camel-a" or "karma-la."
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

boulay said:

To get a superior view? Could seem a bit creepy, TBH
    No! To find a place that doesn't involve staring at her rude bits!
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 670

Nigelb said:

I like it.

The breakdancing is dumb.

I hate it.
    I think it is great. It's very athletic.

Nigelb said:

I think it started out as Comma-la but with an American accent, and we do not have the right phoneme to copy that. If you listen to videos from India, it does sound like that. The other thing is a shortened second syllable. So basically Cahmala verging on Cahm'la.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,456

Nigelb said:

I think it started out as Comma-la but with an American accent, and we do not have the right phoneme to copy that. If you listen to videos from India, it does sound like that. The other thing is a shortened second syllable. So basically Cahmala verging on Cahm'la.
    At least we all know how to pronounce Doh! 'n Old!
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

"Why it's so HARD to pronounce KAMALA", Dr Geoff Lindsey, 5 Aug 2024. YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihLE-wh0xc

AI Summary of transcript

All short vowels Ka-ma-la, no long vowels. Easy.

Nigelb said:

No, she doesn't. Indians do, and it is an Indian name. However, she has picked up the American pronunciation of comma which is more like the standard English calmer or Starmer. In other words, to an American, it is comma, but not to us.

pm215 said:

Nigelb said:

Personally don't give a blind fiddler's farewell fuck how you Brits pronounce your own names, let alone Kamala Harris's.

Though it IS amusing to speculate that you UKer's pronounce "Leon" as "Leer-on"?
    Lee-yon, which spoils the joke.
    boulay said:

Have you considered possiblity, that her "profession" is NOT influencer, but rather something a LOT older?

Perhaps you should offer to buy her a drink! OR perhaps not!!

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

AI Summary of transcript

All short vowels Ka-ma-la, no long vowels. Easy.
    But I do not think that is what Kamala herself says at the end of the linked border video (and why I at first doubted its bona fides)
This discussion has been closed.