Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is absolutely not weird from Trump’s son, it is homophobic, but not weir – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Italy almost take a shock gold in the women's 10,000 metres. Kenya win.

That was a ridiculously slow race, they all ran way off the pace until the last lap. But a Kenyan national record for the winner!
    Megan Keith's personal best from earlier this year was 30:36.84, faster than the winning time in this race.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964
    Iran steps into US election 2024 with cyber-enabled influence operations
    https://cdn-dynmedia-1.microsoft.com/is/content/microsoftcorp/microsoft/final/en-us/microsoft-brand/documents/5bc57431-a7a9-49ad-944d-b93b7d35d0fc.pdf

A Microsoft report on likely Iranian influence in the US election.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,478

Anthony Blinken has Tweeted this.

We’re sending Ukraine a significant new package of urgently needed munitions. This support will help Ukraine protect its troops and its people and reinforce its capabilities across the front lines.

https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1821972991632355821

I guess the USG is not too upset about the ongoing Ukranian raid in Russia's Kursk region.

https://x.com/AmbDanFried/status/1821981637292286046

I've idly wondered what the various cliques that revolve around the Kremlin think about all this. "Well, ok - the money is still coming in and we're creaming Y%, so whatever.".

But when it turns to "The horses are frightened" does that add another ounce to the scales on the other side?

I suppose in a way we'll find out tomorrow when new_user_with_innocent_name shows up to pump a line for a few posts, who-ever might be behind it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075

Andy_JS said:

What happened to Eilish???
    She ended up nowhere, half a minute back from the leaders.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740

Leon said:

I've always admired the American way of ranking the medals, by total, which makes complete sense, and - right now - has Team GB in third

Nah, more fun to give 3 points for each Gold, 2 for each Silver, and 1 for each Bronze.
    That seems the fairest way to me. An extra 10 points for any athlete travelling to Paris by train.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,018
    darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

"Cut their throats" Labour councillor charged and remanded:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/credz9gl92yo

For balance, and on reflection, I don't think this guy should get a jail sentence either, or at least not a long one

His career is over and his life is in pieces. Because of one moment of absolute madness. From all I have read he is an upstanding citizen, he got overwrought at a rally and said a crazy and incendiary thing. But it appears to be a total one off

I woudn't jail the Facebook dude and I would at most put this guy in jail for a few weeks, following conviction

We need to separate actual violence or deliberate, studied incitement from random people just mouthing off in the heat of the moment. People who actually got involved in the riots, anyone who carried a weapon in the streets, anyone who set out to incite violence with a plan and on repeated occasions - yes: sling them in jail for serious time

These peripheral figures? - I'm not convinced
    Absolutely the right take.

The guy said something stupid while caught up in the heat of the moment with a mic in his hand and a huge crowd in front of him.

Not to excuse what he said, but also, context is key. I don't believe the assembled crowd who had showed up were an angry mob, whereas if he'd been one of the rioters saying those things while people were trying to set fire to a hotel full of refugees, it would be incitement. Like the proverbial example of shouting fire in a crowded theatre, context matters.

And where speech is involved, we should *always* err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. How many of us can honestly say we haven't used hyperbole to make a point, or said something stupid in the heat of the moment we later regret?

This guy said one stupid thing - it shouldn't be the end of his career because of it. A bit of common sense needs to prevail.
    The thing about all this is that it isn't really to do with justice or morality. The 'violent disorder' last week is an attack on the authority of the state. If you get caught up in it, even by mistake, you go to to prison for a long time, but only in a context where the 'disorder' is posing a threat to the state. If it is something isolated then you are just a typical low level offender passing through the justice system; you will probably get some kind of 'community order' or a 'suspended sentence'. This is a good reason to always stay away from political protests and probably why the foreign office advice says 'stay away from protests' when going to foreign countries.
    You can and should send out hard, deterrent sentences for violence or serious incitement, without over-doing it on random people at the periphery

Neither the Facebook guy nor the Labour councillor were present at any trouble. The Facebook guy just sent ugly probably racist emojis to a Facebook family member, the Labour councill said one truly mad sentence about throat slitting but it seems entirely out of character

Both deserve punishment and public shaming, they have both got that. Jail sentences? Hmmm

What worries me is that all this seems part and parcel of the state seizing yet more power to bully, surveil, and censor the individual, and more loss of free speech
    The view in 'prison reform' circles is that the government have held off going after people at the periphery this time around, unlike 2011, which may be representative of wisdom on the part of Starmer, I would like to think so at least.

My broader point though that, aside from the arson which is deadly serious, most of this stuff attracting long jail sentences is low level clumsy assaults of police officers, a bit of criminal damage here and there, throwing some wheely bins around, some unwise facebook posts etc, just some kind of stuff that would normally mean a night in the cells at the most but is now a life changing event for the people involved. That is because it is a historic event, the authority of the state is being challenged in an existential way.

I share your sympathy with the unfortunate labour councillor, but he has to be remanded, because if he isn't then it could aggravate the rioting on the other side that has caused an existential problem for the state. Perhaps if things calm down he will be let out with some mitigation, ie it was self defence, he felt as though he was under attack (as is the case with the other 'defenders' that have been sent to jail). It does at least show that there is effort by the state to debunk the 'two tier keir' allegation.

I don't think Starmer is an authoritarian in the way you are fearing, he has spent too long as a human rights lawyer. But probably an exception in the labour party.

Starmer may or may not be authoritarian but it's disturbing to see him apparently directing prosecution and sentencing policy in real time from No. 10. Whatever happened to judicial independence? If only we had an Opposition that wasn't scared and rudderless.

Andy_JS said:

15th place with 31:20.51.

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/results/athletics/women-s-10-000m/fnl-000100--
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    Useful hint.

Bing (which I hardly ever use until now) has Ordnance Survey 25000:1 and 50000:1 maps on its display options.

Select Style -> Ordnance Survey
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,991
    Hockey penalty shoot outs are fun. Reminds me of back garden football.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,110
    We also need a proper inquest into the sailing team, it's been a truly awful return for a country that's supposed to be pretty good at sailing, given we're an island nation. It's one of the higher funded sports too so we will definitely need answers on why everyone seems to have crapped out.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075

I can't help wondering whether this bit of history might help explain why the Ukrainians picked Kursk as an objective:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

(My apologies if someone else made this point earlier. I don't always have time to wade through all the comments, on any given day.)

Possibly. The Kursk Legend is a big part of the Patriotic War story, which Putin sells as hard as he can

It’s worth mentioning that a lot of what actually happened at the battle of Kursk was quite different to the Soviet version.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332
    MaxPB said:

Breakdancing at the Olympics was a mistake. I hope they dump it for 2028 or 2032. It's not a proper sport.

Breaking, please.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,489
    MaxPB said:

We also need a proper inquest into the sailing team, it's been a truly awful return for a country that's supposed to be pretty good at sailing, given we're an island nation. It's one of the higher funded sports too so we will definitely need answers on why everyone seems to have crapped out.

We normally do really well there, don’t we? Feels a bit like the rowing in the last Olympics.
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Harris addresses her biggest weakness head on.
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1821899889007317307

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
    That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    Yes, but is the pronunciation of the first two syllables like Karma?
    The first syllable is pronounced like ‘comma’ - but only if you’re saying it like a west coast American,
    Hence the confusion; Americans don’t pronounce vowels like we do.
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Harris addresses her biggest weakness head on.
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1821899889007317307

Two things about that video. First, Republicans Against Trump. Second, and more importantly, Kamala can't pronounce her own name if any of those how to pronounce Kamala videos are any guide, which I'm beginning to think they may not be. Without going all blue dress/gold dress, she clearly says Calmerla to rhyme with Sir Keir Starmerla. (OK, I know there are parts of Britain outside the South East where calmer doesn't rhyme with Starmer.)
    That's an entirely new pronunciation on me. I thought it was meant to be as in Pamela but mostly people pronounced it as in Kampala. Car-mela? Truly a woman of mystery.
    I thought it has the same root as Karma, the spiritual concept, and pronounce it Karma-lah
    No, it's another name of Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. Another meaning is " Lotus".
    Yes, but is the pronunciation of the first two syllables like Karma?
    The first syllable is pronounced like ‘comma’ - but only if you’re saying it like a west coast American,
    Hence the confusion; Americans don’t pronounce vowels like we do.
    only if you are mental and uneducated
    Open your mind, malc.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,843
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

She ended up nowhere, half a minute back from the leaders.
    So Scottish, not British.

Tres said:

Photo of the day

This is what I do not understand. I get that Nige prefers Florida to Clacton but why not hire a couple of staff to run the constituency office and do case work?
    Because he’s a lazy, tight arsehole.
    Farage’s idea of politics is for Fiona Bruce to lick his arse every week on Question Time. He doesn’t realise the most important job of an MP is to listen to Mrs. Miggins at his weekly surgery.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,820
    Forget the struggles with how to pronounce Kamala. I am still reeling from the knowledge that Toeey Spaatz pronounced his names Spots.
    I mean how? Americans are weird.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964

MaxPB said:

We normally do really well there, don’t we? Feels a bit like the rowing in the last Olympics.
    Have we declined or have other countries cottoned on that we had identified boats and bikes as weak sports for easy gold medals, so now competition is stiffer?
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

"Cut their throats" Labour councillor charged and remanded:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/credz9gl92yo

For balance, and on reflection, I don't think this guy should get a jail sentence either, or at least not a long one

His career is over and his life is in pieces. Because of one moment of absolute madness. From all I have read he is an upstanding citizen, he got overwrought at a rally and said a crazy and incendiary thing. But it appears to be a total one off

I woudn't jail the Facebook dude and I would at most put this guy in jail for a few weeks, following conviction

We need to separate actual violence or deliberate, studied incitement from random people just mouthing off in the heat of the moment. People who actually got involved in the riots, anyone who carried a weapon in the streets, anyone who set out to incite violence with a plan and on repeated occasions - yes: sling them in jail for serious time

These peripheral figures? - I'm not convinced
    Absolutely the right take.

The guy said something stupid while caught up in the heat of the moment with a mic in his hand and a huge crowd in front of him.

Not to excuse what he said, but also, context is key. I don't believe the assembled crowd who had showed up were an angry mob, whereas if he'd been one of the rioters saying those things while people were trying to set fire to a hotel full of refugees, it would be incitement. Like the proverbial example of shouting fire in a crowded theatre, context matters.

And where speech is involved, we should *always* err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. How many of us can honestly say we haven't used hyperbole to make a point, or said something stupid in the heat of the moment we later regret?

This guy said one stupid thing - it shouldn't be the end of his career because of it. A bit of common sense needs to prevail.
    The thing about all this is that it isn't really to do with justice or morality. The 'violent disorder' last week is an attack on the authority of the state. If you get caught up in it, even by mistake, you go to to prison for a long time, but only in a context where the 'disorder' is posing a threat to the state. If it is something isolated then you are just a typical low level offender passing through the justice system; you will probably get some kind of 'community order' or a 'suspended sentence'. This is a good reason to always stay away from political protests and probably why the foreign office advice says 'stay away from protests' when going to foreign countries.
    You can and should send out hard, deterrent sentences for violence or serious incitement, without over-doing it on random people at the periphery

Neither the Facebook guy nor the Labour councillor were present at any trouble. The Facebook guy just sent ugly probably racist emojis to a Facebook family member, the Labour councill said one truly mad sentence about throat slitting but it seems entirely out of character

Both deserve punishment and public shaming, they have both got that. Jail sentences? Hmmm

What worries me is that all this seems part and parcel of the state seizing yet more power to bully, surveil, and censor the individual, and more loss of free speech
    Sometimes you need some punitive punishments handed down and publicised to get a grip. It worked in 2011 and it seems to be working now. Hopefully the Appeal Court will review some of these sentences once things have died down a bit.
    And increase them.

MaxPB said:

Yes it's a traditionally very strong sport for us, the rowing and cycling teams had a full inquest after 2021 and they're still not done ramping back up as they are targeting 2028 as their return to full form because they didn't get the full cycle this time but we can see they're on their way with the results this year. The sailing team needs to have a similar process and probably the athletics teams too, only 1 gold for the team despite probably 3 or 4 decent shouts for gold.
    A reminder that Elondamus is an anagram of Leondamus.
    https://x.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1821916045373808774

Tres said:

Photo of the day

This is what I do not understand. I get that Nige prefers Florida to Clacton but why not hire a couple of staff to run the constituency office and do case work?
    Because that would eat into the 'swanning about being blokey Nige' budget?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,620
    MaxPB said:

An inquest? Good grief it's only a bit of fun.
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Brazil latest updates: No survivors after passenger plane crashes in residential area of Sao Paulo

A passenger plane has crashed in a residential area of a city in Brazil's Sao Paulo state. The airline has said 62 people were on board the flight. Stay here for the latest updates."

https://news.sky.com/story/brazil-latest-updates-passenger-plane-crashes-in-residential-area-of-sao-paulo-13194169

Jeez. One hopes it isn't Boeing
    Not a Boeing, an ATR-72.

They don’t have a habit of crashing, will be really interested to see what happened. There’s video footage of what looks like a spin.
    Oh yum. On one of those next week from Riga to Helsinki. Hopefully better maintained.
    Warning. If you ditch in the sea, it will be Baltic.
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breakdancing at the Olympics was a mistake. I hope they dump it for 2028 or 2032. It's not a proper sport.

Breaking, please.
    Whatever it's called it's shit and not even close to a proper sport. I don't understand how it got into the roster in the first place.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,513
    edited August 9

Tres said:

Photo of the day

Farage’s idea of politics is for Fiona Bruce to lick his arse every week on Question Time. He doesn’t realise the most important job of an MP is to listen to Mrs. Miggins at his weekly surgery.
    Perhaps we should wait for some sort of confirmation of NF's laissez faire attitude in case it turns out that Mrs. Lardwood is infact Lib Dem candidate for the seat.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,843

Tres said:

Photo of the day

I think that voting to decide whether or not the country goes to war is of slightly greater significance than being a glorified social worker to the oddballs of your manor.
    Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Significant public money gets funnelled into Olympic sports and fundamentally sports people need to have a proper feedback loop so they can continue to improve. Having a post-mortem/inquest/retrospective to outline weaknesses and plan to improve them is the best way to get into the medals next time around.
    Nigelb said:

A reminder that Elondamus is an anagram of Leondamus.
    https://x.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1821916045373808774

David Sacks - I only really know of him due to the recent SV VC spats that have been going on.

Y Combinator co-founder Paul Graham entered the conversation, writing: “Do you really want the full story of what you did to Parker to be told publicly? Because it’s the worst case of an investor maltreating a founder that I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard practically all of them.” In another post he called Sacks, “evil.”

Sacks wrote a lengthy, scathing reply saying that the two had never met, pointing to the SEC investigation, and accusing Graham of some underhanded behavior toward Jewish VCs, although Sacks (who is Jewish) did not supply evidence to support such allegations.

Then Cloudflare cofounder Matthew Prince weighed in, siding with Conrad against Sacks, who he says he knew in college. “I know this story. It’s very bad. Don’t know if David is most evil person in SV. Lots of competition.”
    It's odd, in a way, that Musk would back him.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    USA tearing up the track.
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Whatever it's called it's shit and not even close to a proper sport. I don't understand how it got into the roster in the first place.
    Next time we need to include American Smooth and the Charleston. With Craig Revel-Horwood among the judges.
    MattW said:

Useful hint.

Bing (which I hardly ever use until now) has Ordnance Survey 25000:1 and 50000:1 maps on its display options.

It’s the only thing I use Bing for.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,844
    edited August 9
    The continuing question about how to pronounce "Kamala" got me wondering about this line sometimes used by American guys, when people are wondering what to call them: "Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for dinner."

Is that line ever used in the UK? Is there an equivalent line for ladies?
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Next time we need to include American Smooth and the Charleston. With Craig Revel-Horwood among the judges.
    Strictly boring people on an international level. Grim. I had hoped the scandals would get it off the air but alas the BBC seem to want to stick with the tired formula until it's completely and utterly run into the ground.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 951
    Well this is awkward!

SCOOP: As Minnesota’s governor, Tim Walz — on at least 5 occasions — hosted a Muslim cleric who celebrated Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack and promoted a pro-Hitler film popular among Neo-Nazis

The cleric’s Islamist group received $100K+ in state funding from Walz

https://x.com/gekaminsky/status/1821886260249509954
    MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Significant public money gets funnelled into Olympic sports and fundamentally sports people need to have a proper feedback loop so they can continue to improve. Having a post-mortem/inquest/retrospective to outline weaknesses and plan to improve them is the best way to get into the medals next time around.
    To be fair, most of it is lottery money rather than public money.
    edited August 9
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Le Breaking, Shirly?

Tres said:

Photo of the day

I think that voting to decide whether or not the country goes to war is of slightly greater significance than being a glorified social worker to the oddballs of your manor.
    True that. It’s not how Farage will succeed or fail. It does mean that if his star wains he won’t have “popular local MP” to fall back on at the next election, but I doubt that matters.
    MattW said:

Useful hint.

This is also my one and only use for Bing. Google maps is amazing in many ways, but sometimes an OS map really is needed. Open Street Map is also very handy for local paths, cycle lanes, bus routes etc too.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,179

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Brazil latest updates: No survivors after passenger plane crashes in residential area of Sao Paulo

A passenger plane has crashed in a residential area of a city in Brazil's Sao Paulo state. The airline has said 62 people were on board the flight. Stay here for the latest updates."

https://news.sky.com/story/brazil-latest-updates-passenger-plane-crashes-in-residential-area-of-sao-paulo-13194169

Jeez. One hopes it isn't Boeing
    Not a Boeing, an ATR-72.

They don’t have a habit of crashing, will be really interested to see what happened. There’s video footage of what looks like a spin.
    Oh yum. On one of those next week from Riga to Helsinki. Hopefully better maintained.
    Warning. If you ditch in the sea, it will be Baltic.
    Is that warmer than Arctic?
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

It's still basically public money, the lottery is tax with the random chance of prizes.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    edited August 9
    Nunu5 said:

Well this is awkward!

SCOOP: As Minnesota’s governor, Tim Walz — on at least 5 occasions — hosted a Muslim cleric who * celebrated Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack and promoted a pro-Hitler film popular among Neo-Nazis

The rather significant word 'later' is missing from that sentence, as he has not been to any event hosted by Walz since.

As is the rather important context that these were group meetings with several people present

It's simply nonsensical to portray Walz as an antisemite. Or even try to.

As, to be fair, it would be to suggest Trump is.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,012
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Le Breaking, Shirly?
    They're Breakdance Fighting!
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

It's still basically public money, the lottery is tax with the random chance of prizes.
    Lottery money is optional for the spenders, public money is compulsory.

Without the lottery money, thousands of GB athletes over the years would have been screwed.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,865
    TimS said:
    It would basically be like now but without mobile phones.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554
    TimS said:
    Even more depressing if Marty performed Cotton Eye Joe....
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

It's a duty paid on stupidity
    ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Useful hint.

This is also my one and only use for Bing. Google maps is amazing in many ways, but sometimes an OS map really is needed. Open Street Map is also very handy for local paths, cycle lanes, bus routes etc too.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/
    Ah, yes, Bing has been my map tool of choice for the last two and a half decades for exactly that reason. Struggle to get it to work on a mobile phone however.
    "@KonstantinKisin

Douglas Murray wrote a book called the Strange Death of Europe in which he foretold everything that is happening today. And the people who ignored and dismissed him have the audacity to blame him for what is happening instead of themselves. Stunning ignorance and hypocrisy."

https://x.com/KonstantinKisin/status/1821950284794343511
    edited August 9
    Nunu5 said:

Well this is awkward!

SCOOP: As Minnesota’s governor, Tim Walz — on at least 5 occasions — hosted a Muslim cleric who celebrated Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack and promoted a pro-Hitler film popular among Neo-Nazis

Here's the piece. There looks to be a lot that is remote, and a couple of elements that could stick. The hosting of the cleric is a bit weak as an attack, but giving money to his organisation looks more sticky.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/presidential/3114957/tim-walz-repeatedly-hosted-muslim-cleric-oct-7-pro-hitler-website-link/
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 388
    edited August 9
    Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.

In the broad sweep of history we've chosen to use our agricultural surplus to fund fun, interesting pursuits that bring us joy.

In different parts of the world, we developed various, unique sports and shared them with each other.

They come together in the modern Olympics, hosted by a country with an impressive agricultural surplus.

The most medals are usually won by the country with the best agricultural surplus.

I think @MaxPB follows my logic.

(for the avoidance of doubt, I'd like to clarify that I am not Liz Truss, and you may not claim your $5)
    OMFG a pub I occasionally visited years ago - The Clissold in Muswell Hill - has just sent me a publicity email

Its subject title is

Christmas At The Clissold

You fucking what? Christmas???? It's AUGUST 8, I don't even want to think about September and Autumn let alone Christmas

MattW said:

Useful hint.

It’s the only thing I use Bing for.
    Yep - it's been on streetmap.co.uk since before the OS had it's own service (which is good), but that is 20 years out of date design wise now.
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

I disagree with all sorts of things here.
    One, I don't think it's a tax if there's no obligation to pay it.
    Two, sometimes (on 'must be won' draws, I think it makes financial sense to play.
    Three, even when it doesn't make financial sense to play, I get £2.00 of value from the enjoyment of thinking this time tomorrow I might never have to work again and I can buy houses for my kids. I'm aware the odda aren't in my favour - but I get my money's worth nonetheless.
    Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Douglas Murray wrote a book called the Strange Death of Europe in which he foretold everything that is happening today. And the people who ignored and dismissed him have the audacity to blame him for what is happening instead of themselves. Stunning ignorance and hypocrisy."

A lot of people despise him and that book, and I think his words this week were seriously ill-advised and stupid. However, the book is brilliantly prescient in many places
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    MaxPB said:

Island nation? Just look at what has happened to the Merchant Navy and the RN.

I realised how far the rot had gone when reading about 15 years ago that the second biggest fleet under the Red Ensign was Orkney Islands Council (who have plenty of ferries, but even so ...).
    Is NC in play ?

#New Governor Poll - North Carolina

🔵 Stein 43% (+5)
    🔴 Robinson 38%

Last poll (May) - 🟡 Tie

Cygnal #B - 600 LV - 8/5

https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1821943642853912708
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909
    Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Does this Kisin guy give us any reason why we should believe him?
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,344
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Two, sometimes (on 'must be won' draws, I think it makes financial sense to play.
    Three, even when it doesn't make financial sense to play, I get £2.00 of value from the enjoyment of thinking this time tomorrow I might never have to work again and I can buy houses for my kids. I'm aware the odda aren't in my favour - but I get my money's worth nonetheless.
    Agree with you on point three, which means I just cannot understand people buying scratchcards.
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Have you read the book?

Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Agree with you on point three, which means I just cannot understand people buying scratchcards.
    Yes - I bought one once, 30-odd years ago and was instantly struck how brief the pleasure was. A valuable lesson: I stuck to the weekly draws thereafter.
    edited August 9
    Another politician with unfortunate past social media comments.

This one being Laura Anne Jones from the Senedd, concerning the Chinese.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c74j84y9xqgo
    FPT, because posted on the wrong thread:
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Evening pb.
    Today, I left Holland and by causeway, bridge and tunnel travelled through Zeeland to Middelburg (hat tip @SeaShantyIrish ). I hadn't heard of the town before a fortnight ago. But it's splendid - attractive, clean, prosperous: obviously being Zeeland it's largely water based, but based around a splendid town square/town hall combo, and blessed also by a fine church tower reminiscent of Boston Stump.
    We didn't stay for long - anyone who remembers my travelogues from two years ago may remember our family benefited from a moody 12 year old daughter for whom NOTHING WAS RIGHT; this particular individual is now the sunniest 14 year old one could imagine, but the role she has vacated has been enthusiastiastically taken up by her younger sister - so there is less opportunity for easygoing and carefree moiching than there mighe be - but nonetheless I was charmed by Middelburg and Zeeland in a way I wasn't by Amsterdam and Holland. There is much more space, and the comfortable, unshowy feel of the place is highly agreeable.

... But we've moved on now and have arrived in Belgium. We're staying at a Centerparcs near De Haan, which is far preferable to its English counterparts. It's just a nice holiday park - they don't expect you to stay there for your whole stay, not least because there is a rather good beach just over the dunes - and they don't try to cultivate the impression that the rest of the world doesn't exist. I like Belgium immediately: first of all, it's pleasant to be above sea level again in an environment which isn't entirely man made, and it's slightly less crowded - but it also feels recognisably shambolic in a way the Netherlands didn't. Things work, but it feels more by accident than design.
    I've only been here a few hours and the impression may be misleading - but I feel much more comfortable here.
    The star spangled banner is becoming an annoyingly regular tune in the Olympics these last few days.

If Trump wins in November and carries out his none too subtle promises, could the next olympics, with home advantage, be the 21st century Munich games?
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 134
    edited August 9
    TimS said:

The star spangled banner is becoming an annoyingly regular tune in the Olympics these last few days.

If Trump wins in November and carries out his none too subtle promises, could the next olympics, with home advantage, be the 21st century Munich games?

Berlin?
    Who would be the Jesse Owens?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,489
    edited August 9
    Nigelb said:

Is NC in play ?

#New Governor Poll - North Carolina

🔵 Stein 43% (+5)
    🔴 Robinson 38%

Last poll (May) - 🟡 Tie

Cygnal #B - 600 LV - 8/5

https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1821943642853912708

I would be interested in whether down-ballot races can work to boost the presidential tickets (I know it can happen the other way round). The reason I say this is because the Democrats are polling generally better in the Senate races than the presidential races. I know there’s more of a tradition of split-ticketing, but it feels like there might be something there?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,331
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

I would never do the lottery myself, but I have no real need to. However, for large swathes of the population the lottery is the *only* way they could ever have the sort of lifestyle you (and many of us) take for granted. It's quite sensible when viewed in that light.

TimS said:

Berlin?
    Who would be the Jesse Owens?
    Sorry, Berlin.

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

I would never do the lottery myself, but I have no real need to. However, for large swathes of the population the lottery is the *only* way they could ever have the sort of lifestyle you (and many of us) take for granted. It's quite sensible when viewed in that light.
    Fair

Also I have money in premium bonds, and part of the psychology of that is Well, you never know, so I should probably STFU

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

I think the organisers are missing a trick in not going hard on the “support our Olympians” (or arts, or whatever floats your boat) to corner the middle class non-Loto playing demographic.

They could really guilt trip people if they set their minds to it.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,006
    Leon said:

OMFG a pub I occasionally visited years ago - The Clissold in Muswell Hill - has just sent me a publicity email

Its subject title is

Christmas At The Clissold

You fucking what? Christmas???? It's AUGUST 8, I don't even want to think about September and Autumn let alone Christmas

If we must have Starmer being all authoritarian and Big Brother, can he lay the smack down on this sort of stuff please?
    Japan are suddenly on 16 golds. Post-Tokyo effect in full swing. France needs to get a move on.
    edited August 9
    OMG I so hope this is not a hoax, even if it is it is brilliant

Musk has suspended the UKGOV Twitter account for harrassment

Fucklols

https://x.com/ukgov

Ah, dammit, a hoax
    Go on Elon, do it for REALZ
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554
    MattW said:

Another politician with unfortunate past social media comments.

This one being Laura Anne Jones from the Senedd, concerning the Chinese.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c74j84y9xqgo

One of those strange ones. It doesn't seem very long ago that "Chinky" was a near ubiquitous term for a Chinese restaurant.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,335
    Leon said:

Fucklols

Ah, dammit, a hoax

GOVUK is the UK Government account...
  • TresTres Posts: 2,620
    edited August 9
    MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Sports funding in this country is focussed on a small minority of sports judged most likely to get an olympic medal. I'd prefer a more equitable approach where the sports funding is allocated to improve participation levels overall, rather than beating ourselves up over which elite athletes under or over performed.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,470
    edited August 9
    Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Thinking people ‘blame’ Murray for the state we’re in would be ascribing a bit too much importance to the queeny old Nazi. It’s more the suggestion that he should be a respectable person of influence that rankles.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909
    edited August 9
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Have you read the book?
    You presumably mean Douglas Murray's book? You have me there. The problem with rabbit holes is that you have to go down them to definitively demonstrate that's what they are and life is too short. I have read a summary of Murray's argument and know it's nonsense but I haven't read the book so missed the section on page 109 that may or may not disprove my take.

Oh well ...
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,012
    edited August 9
    Just for a bit fun, the Medal Table updated, with 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver, 1 for a Bronze.
    		        G	S	B	Total points
    United States 99 78 39 216
    China 99 52 23 174
    Great Britain 42 40 23 105
    France 42 40 22 104
    Australia 54 32 14 100
    Japan 48 16 13 77
    Italy 33 24 13 70
    South Korea 39 16 7 62
    Germany 36 18 8 62
    Netherlands 39 12 10 61
    edited August 9
    TimS said:

Japan are suddenly on 16 golds. Post-Tokyo effect in full swing. France needs to get a move on.

Yes Japan will finish strong, the UK and France are running out of gold medal opportunities. I think Japan could end up third, Australia fourth and between the UK and France for fifth.

Australia have had a brilliant games so far after a few weak cycles for them. We're really going to have to up our game for the 2028 and 2032 cycles. Especially with 2032 in Australia and with Australia competing in basically all the same sports as the UK other than athletics.
    numbertwelve asked: "I would be interested in whether down-ballot races can work to boost the presidential tickets (I know it can happen the other way round)."

Yes. In fact, I am reasonably sure that may have provided the Loser's winning margins in some swing stastes in 2016.

In modern national elections in the US, there can be coattails, when the top candidates helps those lower -- and reverse coattails, when it works the other way around.)

What happens is simple enough: A voter goes in to vote for a candidate of his party, and then votes for one or more of his party's candidates for other offices. I would expect the strongest effects, either way, to be at the tops of the tickets.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,331
    MaxPB said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Strictly boring people on an international level. Grim. I had hoped the scandals would get it off the air but alas the BBC seem to want to stick with the tired formula until it's completely and utterly run into the ground.
    You don't have to watch it you know.

While Strictly is still getting audiences of c. 10m it's not going to get the chop. It will be interesting if the audience levels hold though - everything becomes unfashionable eventually.
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Have you read the book?
    You presumably mean Douglas Murray's book? You have me there. The problem with rabbit holes is that you have to go down them to definitively demonstrate that's what they are and life is too short. I have read a summary of Murray's argument and know it's nonsense but I haven't read the book so missed the section on page 109 that may or may not disprove my take.

Oh well ...
    Then shut the fuck up
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075
    eek said:

Leon said:

Fucklols

Ah, dammit, a hoax

How many times do people need to get fake information off Twatter, before they realise that fake information about fake information is just as common?
    Andy_JS said:

Ballsup from the Americans in the men's 4x100 relay.

I can't recall a relay in the Olympics that the Americans haven't ballsed up.
    eek said:

Leon said:

Fucklols

Ah, dammit, a hoax

Yes, indeed. For about five glorious seconds I thought it was true, but I took another three seconds to check

Elon should do it just for the bantz, Suspend the GOVUK Twitter account, They have spent the last day trying to menace everyone on earth, and threatening to arrest Americans IN AMERICA

Andy_JS said:

"@KonstantinKisin

Thinking people ‘blame’ Murray for the state we’re in would be ascribing a bit too much importance to the queeny old Nazi. It’s more the suggestion that he should be a respectable person of influence that rankles.
    Strange dash of good old fashioned homophobia in this comment? Queeny old Nazi? Really??
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,026
    On the Olympics. I went to have a look at the medals table from 2012 on Wiki to see how we have done over the years since then.

I was intrigued by the table showing those medals which have been stripped from atheletes and reawarded to others as a result of subsequent drugs issues. I knew this went on but it is very sad to see that one poor weightlifter finally got the Olympic medal he deserved in March of this year - 12 years after he competed at the London Games. It must rather take the shine of it all.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,179

Andy_JS said:

Ballsup from the Americans in the men's 4x100 relay.

I can't recall a relay in the Olympics that the Americans haven't ballsed up.
    Maybe they live too far from one another to practice enough.

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

You can get Magic to phone you and Make Me A Winner for a couple of hundred grand, I think.

I just know I'd balls that up and say, "hello", instinctively, though.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 134
    Imane Khelif up soon in the boxing final.
    Decades ago, when I was living in Chicago, I encountered a way to avoid thinking about individual candidates. The voting machines had levers you could pull to vote for all of the Democrats, or all of the Republicans, at once.
    Leon said:

I have managed to go my entire life without watching a single minute of "Strictly" and it is my sincere hope that I shall expire with that claim wholly intact

My family love it. I have therefore occasionally encountered it. Jesus, the utter inanity of it.
    American women won a relay at the Rio Olympics. (I remember because the four were so well behaved, unlike some of the American men that year.)
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,246
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Breaking, please.
    Paris has been a good Games and has given the Olympic Movement a much needed shot in the arm after Rio and Tokyo, which were disappointing for wildly different reasons.

There is every reason to believe that Los Angeles will be good too, but it is not helped by the inclusion of nonsense like breakdancing. Such events only fuel the suspicions of those that worry about the excessive influence on the IOC wielded by commercial organisations with agendas far removed from any of the IOC's stated goals and ideals.

This discussion has been closed.