Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can you spot the trend? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,027
edited August 26 in General
Can you spot the trend? – politicalbetting.com

? New polling with @ObserverUK This week’s omits Voting Intention again, as we continue to assess our weighting.Keir Starmer’s approval comes first again. Starmer’s honeymoon appears to have taken a trip, with his net approval at +3, compared to +19% a fortnight ago. pic.twitter.com/KM9CzLWJoI

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,036
    edited August 4
    Third rate PM.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,899
    Starmer has never been particularly approved of. It would need interesting to know what people dislike about him.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,198
    Opinium and others are shy about producing voting intentions after systematically overstating Labour support in the election campaign by a margin well outside the MoE. Well, fine, I suppose but what makes them think that their favourability ratings drawn from the same unrepresentative pools are any better?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,521
    edited August 4

Most unpopular PM since Rishi ?

I am trying and failing to express exactly why this made me laugh as loud as I did, alarming my partner. But it did. Strong work for 830am on a Sunday.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897
    He is a lying toerag, typical Labour. Anti pensioner , anti Scottish and likely anti a lot more.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,446
    So Starmer's approvals spiked straight after the GE and are currently slightly higher than they were before the GE. I am not sure he'll lose much sleep over that.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,587
    FF43 said:

Starmer has never been particularly approved of. It would need interesting to know what people dislike about him.

I estimate that Starmer lost a million votes over his approach to Gaza. It might have gained a few elsewhere but a massive net loss.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 772
    538 polling average has Harris ahead 45 to 43.6: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/
    Nate Silver has Harris ahead 45.0 to 43.9: https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model

These averages both include a Harris +5 poll from RMG, released two days ago. RCP have yet to add it...
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,517
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Ending Freedom of Movement caused a spike in immigration

Eventually the boneheads who voted for it will put the pieces together, but not any day soon...

Government policy is what caused a spike in immigration.
    Not saying you're wrong but what policy specifically? What are the specific policy decisions where the last government could reasonably have done X and got low immigration, but instead they did Y and got high immigration?
    Oh it’s a long list.

Salary threshold for work visa could have been much higher.
    Students should not be allowed to bring dependents with them.
    List of ‘shortage’ occupations is too long.
    Marriage visas should be a lot more difficult to obtain, especially in the case of arranged marriages, and should be subject to cultural and language tests.
    FPT, thanks for replying with specifics.

Skilled work visas granted seem to be about 60K people total which isn't that many. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to bung the salary requirement up.

IIUC student visas for dependents were only for masters students before, then they further restricted that to PhD students. At this point you're already seriously damaging competitiveness by making the most promising scientists leave for somewhere they can take their families, and again not making a huge dent in the numbers.

Can't say about the shortage occupations without specifics. You could fuck over the NHS but this is the one thing the voters hate even more than immigration.

Marriage visas are already extremely hard to get, not least the income requirement for the British person is bananas, and the income of the foreign spouse doesn't count. A government that makes it even harder will earn the enduring targetted hatred of lots of British families, although I guess they can reasonably hope that the British person will also move abroad and drop off the electoral register, and driving out a British person counts double for the net migration stats.
    Foxy said:

First point: Starmer is more popular than when he won a landslide on July 4th.

Second point: since the election his popularity is up with Conservative voters.

It's left wing voters that he is losing popularity with, not right wing ones.

I don't think looking at the chart the first point is true although he certainly remains more popular than he was for most of the campaign. By election day itself he was doing better than he is now.

Despite my reservations about whether this form of polling is any more accurate than the voting intentions were there is also some suggestions that support amongst Tories has improved and it is Labour supporters that are disappointed by the lack of magic wands and the waving thereof.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,016
    malcolmg said:

He is a lying toerag, typical Labour. Anti pensioner , anti Scottish and likely anti a lot more.

What has he done that is anti-Scottish?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,495
    Foxy said:

At least the pensioners don't seem to mind about losing their fuel allowance? Or maybe they were all the ones who didn't like Starmer to begin with.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,315

malcolmg said:

Well in Malcolm's head it is that Starmer is Malleus Scotnatorum.

Just imagine how many more seats Labour would have won in Scotland if Starmer wasn't anti-Scottish.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    Didn't take voters long to realise what they'd signed up to . A polished turd is still a turd however much you present it as otherwise.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,315
    Oh this explains it.

How Scottish Labour is plotting to use the Commons to put SNP under magnifying glass

The party is set to chair the Scottish affairs committee and will use its remit to will investigate key devolved issues and grill nationalist figures such as Nicola Sturgeon

Fresh from overturning large SNP majorities at the general election, Scottish Labour is priming a potent weapon to help catapult Anas Sarwar into Bute House in 2026.

The Scottish affairs committee in the House of Commons may sound innocuous — and its activities rarely create headlines — but Labour looks set to chair the body for the first time in years and plans to deploy its powers to investigate key devolved issues and harry nationalist ministers.

There is “a huge political dimension to the work of the committee in the run-up to 2026”, said one Labour parliamentarian. “This will allow whole areas of policy to be put under the microscope.”

Scottish Labour, which lies in third place at Holyrood but is building momentum to install Sarwar as first minister, wants the chance to interrogate SNP figures such as Nicola Sturgeon in Westminster via the select committee.

Sturgeon was due to give evidence at the Scottish affairs committee before the general election was called. “She, or other previous first ministers and cabinet secretaries, can be called on relevant investigations,” the source said.

They added that there was “a long list of potential areas that could be looked at”, including NHS performance. “There is crucial ground to be laid for 2026.”

There are other potential political bruises for a Labour-dominated Scottish affairs committee to inflict. The Labour source also highlighted “the levels of young people absent from the labour market”, an area where Holyrood and Westminster should, they said, be collaborating.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/6ce15da8-7bb0-4c4d-abd2-a8697ff62946?shareToken=0ed9303ec40107abf834fd0d8e7fb7a5
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,765
    If anyone needs cheering up, after so many scenes of Brits being a bit thick, I read this stat yesterday. A poll of French people showed that 25% of them believe the First World War included the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and the Battle of Marignano (a famous French victory in… 1515)

So we’re not alone in our dimwittery
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,097
    Foxy said:

I feel your pain

But

1. He is a non charismatic leader who has set out no vision for the UK
    2. Despite the anomaly of FPTP he has been actively elected by about 20% of the population
    3. The hard shit hasnt hit peoples wallets yet, watch the drop in October November

"Protecting our kids" from the dangers of alcohol, clown shoes and mobile phones presumably.

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    Starmer is eerily charmless and dislikeable. Stiff, a bit vain, no obvious sense of humour, a lack of imagination. There’s nothing terrible about him but it’s an unfortunate combo

If Labour fail to deliver he will get very irritating very quickly

Foxy said:

I feel your pain

But

2. Despite the anomaly of FPTP he has been actively elected by about 20% of the population
    3. The hard shit hasnt hit peoples wallets yet, watch the drop in October November

I have never supported Starmer, though Mrs Foxy does. I was undecided between LD and Green myself, going for LD on the day as the only party with a positive campaign.

I don't think Starmer needs to worry much about popularity for 3 or more years. Indeed as TSE suggests, best to get the painful stuff done first. Indeed cracking down on the EDL may well gain a few voters back on the left and Muslim voters.

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    I'm curious. Starmer is head and shoulders more competent than anyone else on the political scene and has been since he became Labour Party leader, but it's never shown in favourabilty ratings.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I feel your pain

But

I have never supported Starmer, though Mrs Foxy does. I was undecided between LD and Green myself, going for LD on the day as the only party with a positive campaign.

I don't think Starmer needs to worry much about popularity for 3 or more years. Indeed as TSE suggests, best to get the painful stuff done first. Indeed cracking down on the EDL may well gain a few voters back on the left and Muslim voters.

He probably doesnt need to worry about it, but I suspect he will a he;s quite accomplished in 180 degree turns if it makes him look bad. His bigger issue will be lots of MPs sitting on borrowed constituencies doing the worrying for him.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    I'm curious. Starmer is head and shoulders more competent than anyone else on the political scene and has been since he became Labour Party leader, but it's never shown in favourabilty ratings.
    Because he isn’t likeable
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,812
    If true then we should start to see the Tories ahead in the polls by next year. Even Michael Foot's Labour had a poll lead over Thatcher's Conservatives in 1980 and even Ed Miliband's Labour led Cameron's Tories in 2011
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,442
    Logging on and wondering if it's not so much before the lagershed as still after last night's one.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    In part he doesn't exude vision, and people like a bit of optimistic rhetoric. Johnson and Corbyn could do the charisma thing, though clearly this is in no way related to competency in office.

Secondly, he has never hidden the fact that for the majority of problems facing the country there is no easy simple and cheap solution. He is honest about the difficulty of fixing the Tory mess with very tight budgets and demographic headwinds. Starmerism is the opposite of Populism.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,812

538 polling average has Harris ahead 45 to 43.6: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/
    Nate Silver has Harris ahead 45.0 to 43.9: https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model

These averages both include a Harris +5 poll from RMG, released two days ago. RCP have yet to add it...

Which would be still less than Hillary Clinton's popular vote lead over Trump let alone Biden's. Making it even more vital for Harris she picks a VP nominee who can win a swing state like Shapiro
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

I feel your pain

But

I’m loving the new right wing support for electoral reform.
    Firstly Mr S I owe you an apology, I had you down as a labourite and as you said yesterday youre not.

Secondly my statement on FPTP was making no judgement on FPTP, merely a mathematical statement that most governments get about 40% of the vote on a sort 70% turnout. So say 27/28% of active voters. Starmer is starting 7% down on active support.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,332
    @LeeAndersonMP_
    My view.

This problem has been caused by smug politicians who have refused to listen to the concerns of British people. It has festered and now it has boiled over. Parliament must listen, Parliament must act but it must not blame the British people.

@mikeysmith

Gentle reminder that there was a general election 31 days ago, during which the British people were thoroughly listened to.

Lee is arguing that the British people are wrong, or at least that politicians are listening to the wrong British people.

@DPJHodges

"People feel they aren't being listened to". We know there's anger about immigration. It doesn't take riots to tell us that. But we don't hand public policy making to those who are burning down police stations and assaulting their black and Asian neighbours in the street.

Reeves also taking flak

“The latest Opinium poll for the Observer shows that Reeves’s personal ratings have plummeted in the wake of Monday’s statement in which she announced the [winter fuel] cut. They have fallen from +11% when she first became chancellor to -12% last week.”
    That’s an enormous drop for the CoTE
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,986

TimS said:

Foxy said:

I feel your pain

But

I’m loving the new right wing support for electoral reform.
    Firstly Mr S I owe you an apology, I had you down as a labourite and as you said yesterday youre not.

Secondly my statement on FPTP was making no judgement on FPTP, merely a mathematical statement that most governments get about 40% of the vote on a sort 70% turnout. So say 27/28% of active voters. Starmer is starting 7% down on active support.
    For once the Lib Dems are almost proportionately represented. Still slightly below what we’d get in PR.

I think Labour are strongly enough positioned to ride out a fair bit of unpopularity.
    The ones to watch are Green. They did far better than I expected despite having ludicrous policies, and didn’t fade. They could be the Reform of the left, peeling away Labour support without gaining many seats.
    I think Farage's disingenuous encouragement of the mob should, and actually does, cause problems for the Conservative Party, given its flirtation with Reform. It doesn't know whether to go hard on law and order or to show some understanding of those creating disorder.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,948
    HYUFD said:

Which would be still less than Hillary Clinton's popular vote lead over Trump let alone Biden's. Making it even more vital for Harris she picks a VP nominee who can win a swing state like Shapiro
    As per previous thread, Josh Shapiro is slowly drifting in the betting.

Posted at 6.50 on last thread
    1.42 Shapiro
    5.9 Walz
    16 Kelly
    17.5 Beshear
    40 Buttigieg

Now
    1.46 Shapiro
    5.2 Walz
    14.5 Kelly
    22 Beshear
    36 Buttigieg
    Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

“The latest Opinium poll for the Observer shows that Reeves’s personal ratings have plummeted in the wake of Monday’s statement in which she announced the [winter fuel] cut. They have fallen from +11% when she first became chancellor to -12% last week.”

She has tried to be smart on the alleged black hole and has been found out.

She has seriously damaged her credibility

FF43 said:

I think Farage's disingenuous encouragement of the mob should, and actually does, cause problems for the Conservative Party, given its flirtation with Reform. It doesn't know whether to go hard on law and order or to show some understanding of those creating disorder.

It's notable that none of the six candidates for the Tory leadership has chosen to take on Farage and Reform with regards to the riots. I may be wrong but I don't think any of them have explicitly called out the far-right's instigation of them either.

Why should they ? Farage is going after Labour seats.

FF43 said:

It's notable that none of the six candidates for the Tory leadership has chosen to take on Farage and Reform with regards to the riots. I may be wrong but I don't think any of them have explicitly called out the far-right's instigation of them either.

Priti Patel tweeted this, talking up her own legislation:-

The events we have witnessed overnight in Sunderland were totally unacceptable. As they were in Southport earlier this week and in Harehills in Leeds a fortnight ago.

We should never excuse, or be apologists for, disorder whoever is responsible. Violence and thuggery is always unacceptable. There is no qualification or exception. And politicians on all sides must be willing to stand up and say so.

Saying the nation is "braced for disorder" is not only breathtakingly complacent, but both troubling and inadequate. The Government is now in danger of appearing to be swept away with events rather than maintaining control of them.

That is precisely why as Home Secretary I brought forward much stronger protections against disproportionate protest and disorder, in the teeth of fierce opposition. But it was the right thing to do and those powers must be used to their maximal extent now.

Now is a moment for national reflection and solidarity - to pull back from the wave of violence we have seen, to call it out for what it is - without fear or favour - and for Parliament to speak with one voice in condemnation. We either believe in the rule of law, or we do not.

That is why Parliament must be recalled immediately.

https://x.com/pritipatel/status/1819607591518892279

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Because it's the right thing to do

FF43 said:

Mel Stride has expressed concerns about populism in general terms. Most of the public, I believe will see Labour on the right side on the riots; Farage on the wrong side if they are aware of what he's up to. The Conservatives are in a hopelessly confused moral position. Fortunately for them no-one is paying any attention.

FF43 said:

To be fair Cleverly has condemned them.

https://x.com/JamesCleverly/status/1819484265211744455?t=uUPfAErJy2Ca0i5bRDlyOA&s=19

The others are curiously quiet.

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,453
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Mel Stride has expressed concerns about populism in general terms. Most of the public, I believe will see Labour on the right side on the riots; Farage on the wrong side if they are aware of what he's up to. The Conservatives are in a hopelessly confused moral position. Fortunately for them no-one is paying any attention.
    I wonder what Farage's nets are looking like after he shook the tree on Monday and Tuesday.

FF43 said:

Hmmmm.

• pm215pm215 Posts: 1,078

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

I think the take I thought was most damning was George Osborne's where he said something along the lines of "this is the same list of top-five Treasury recommendations they gave me back when I was chancellor and she seems to have just accepted them all, rather than being more selective about taking the actions that fit with her political goals". Obviously Osborne isn't an impartial observer, but as a non Labour voter I'm a bit disappointed about what seem like infrastructure investment cuts that aren't going to help with the growth agenda Labour was signalling pre election.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,339

malcolmg said:

He deliberately chose to be born in England.
    pm215 said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

I think the take I thought was most damning was George Osborne's where he said something along the lines of "this is the same list of top-five Treasury recommendations they gave me back when I was chancellor and she seems to have just accepted them all, rather than being more selective about taking the actions that fit with her political goals". Obviously Osborne isn't an impartial observer, but as a non Labour voter I'm a bit disappointed about what seem like infrastructure investment cuts that aren't going to help with the growth agenda Labour was signalling pre election.
    Starmer is just continuity Sunak
    edited August 4
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

To be fair Cleverly has condemned them.

https://x.com/JamesCleverly/status/1819484265211744455?t=uUPfAErJy2Ca0i5bRDlyOA&s=19

The others are curiously quiet.

Good on him. I had only seen that bizarre Cleverley statement about Starmer taking the knee.

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO
    Last night thugs set fire to the Spellow Hub Library on County Road in Liverpool - a place opened last year to help people in one of the country’s most deprived areas with routes into work and education

They also set fire to a local shop

You don't think "Conservatives" should condemn this? Just how morally bankrupt are you?
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO
    Last night thugs set fire to the Spellow Hub Library on County Road in Liverpool - a place opened last year to help people in one of the country’s most deprived areas with routes into work and education

You don't think "Conservatives" should condemn this? Just how morally bankrupt are you?
    Lol playing the morality card - still New Labour

Can we invade Iraq again ?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,384

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

The black hole is just nonsense but I think she’s set the scene for the real pain in the budget

Interesting article here

https://x.com/asentance/status/1819975239842881550?s=61
    FF43 said:

Probably just people who got on Shapiro early locking in their gains. Probably.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

There was no black hole, other than one of her own creation by promising more generous wage settlements. What there was was a gaping chasm of a £100bn+ deficit that urgently needs to be addressed if she is to produce the economic stability that she craves. This involves difficult choices of both less spending and more tax.

Her problem is that this was obvious to anyone paying attention before the election. A re-elected Tory government would have had to do exactly the same. Pretty much all of our politicians lied to us and offered false promises based upon fantasy scenarios. Well, quelle surprise, as they say at the Olympics.

I don't have any interest in any excuses for the disgraceful behaviour of these thugs causing trouble. It is a fact, however, that ever more people are becoming disenchanted with conventional politics because no one is willing to admit the truth of where we are.
    Im afraid you are right on that, but as you have said theres hardly any money left in the pot and somebody will have to fess up.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,941

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO

The invasion of Iraq means Conservative politicians today shouldn’t condemn rioting and destruction of property…??? Are you OK, Alan?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    pm215 said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

Really we could do worse than shutting the Treasury and starting from scratch.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,811

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

This is all about comfortably off retirees throwing a wobbly strop over being made to chip in and shoulder some of the burden for a change. Nobody likes being told they have to pay for stuff but pensioners are particularly bolshie about it. However, credibility and popularity are two attributes not to be confused with one another.

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO

The invasion of Iraq means Conservative politicians today shouldn’t condemn rioting and destruction of property…??? Are you OK, Alan?
    Of course. Scotts childish challenges deserve the response they get
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,251
    edited August 4
    Foxy said:

£22bn in spending cuts were always going to piss off lefties, yet PB Tories somehow believe Reeves was ignorant enough to believe this wasn't going to happen. Labour are basically going get the unpopular decisions done early - and think they need to make - while the Tories are still rudderless.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,619

malcolmg said:

put the snp back in their box
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

This is all about comfortably off retirees throwing a wobbly strop over being made to chip in and shoulder some of the burden for a change. Nobody likes being told they have to pay for stuff but pensioners are particularly bolshie about it. However, credibility and popularity are two attributes not to be confused with one another.
    I think credibility is the greater problem for her. She has tried to dupe the voters and failed.
    When it comes to the point where she needs to keep the voters on board who will believe her ?

FF43 said:

The target seats show them quite split. Although you may well be right and going for labour is a better tactic

https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/reform-uk
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,339

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

A few Tories are noticing

I won’t mince my words, as frankly, I am furious. I have been proud of how effectively fellow
    @Conservatives have called out anti-Semitism since October 7th.
    However, I am extremely disappointed, albeit unsurprised, that these same individuals are unable to denounce far-right racist bigotry and violence with the same fervour.
    Top Tories like @SuellaBraverman @KemiBadenoch @pritipatel @JamesCleverly @RishiSunak @RobertJenrick @MelJStride and @TomTugendhat often tout our party as a model for the success of multiracial Britain when it suits them. And it is.
    Yet, when it comes to confronting the racists attempting to undermine our multiracial democracy, it becomes politically inconvenient to call it out for what it is.
    The Overton window has shifted so far that labelling racists as “racist” is now deemed too “woke” to risk the blowback! Let me tell you, it is right, not woke, to condemn the racists in our midst.

https://x.com/albieamankona/status/1820008152370221465

Welcome to opposition. Just because it is not being reported does not mean it is not being said. We LDs are used to it.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,738
    edited August 4
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    Starmer is eerily charmless and dislikeable. Stiff, a bit vain, no obvious sense of humour, a lack of imagination. There’s nothing terrible about him but it’s an unfortunate combo

If Labour fail to deliver he will get very irritating very quickly
    The terrible thing about him is that he is a constant and pathological liar - much worse than Boris, who delivered roughly what he said he would in policy terms, and without Boris's humour or likeability.

Starmer's whole leadership was based on a pack of lies, and he has not stopped lying ever since.

I mean, of course he is:

1. He's a Socialist
    2. He's a lawyer
    3. His lips are moving.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,700
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

It's not just pensioners; it's wealthier pensioners. The poorest have been protected.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,610
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

That he isn't likeable.
    Because he isn’t likeable
    Isn't it more no politicians are popular these days? Despite having historically mediocre ratings Starmer has consistently been the 'most popular' politician (the one with the best approval ratings) since Boris' vaccine bounce. I don't think any PM since Brown's shortlived honeymoon has had genuinely good ratings that show they're truly popular in the country.

As to why that's the case, social media highlights a politicians' actions far more (as well as spreads misinformation and bad faith interpretations widely), so politicians just find message control much more difficult. The electorate is also more atomised - meaning it's just more difficult to be popular because a message can't hit home widely enough to be so as people think very different things and have entirely different belief systems and information sources.

For example, if you talk to a Corbynite, Starmer is dreadful because he's an authoritarian right-winger who is allowing Israel to commit 'genocide'. If you talk to those who think those rioting may have a point, Starmer is a liberal lefty lawyer who has allowed the streets to become mobbed by supporters of 'terrorism' and supported open door migration (despite the Tories having been in power).

Alternatively, many of those of working age think pensioners are ludicrously entitled and have been pandered to for too long, and resent taking the strain when govt. needs to balance the books, while many pensioners get angry whenever it's suggested their current settlement is overly generous and unfair to everyone else.

There's almost no reasonable position a politician could take that would make them widely popular - Starmer's calculation is, arguably like Cameron's, 2010-15, is that you don't need to be liked so long as people regard you as the most sensible stewards of the country and the 'right' people - swing voters - like you more than the other lot.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,468
    Seems a long time since certain PBers and columnists approaching their climacteric were getting hot and bothered by sexy Sir Keir.
    Istr ‘He has a lovely smile’ was one of their’s.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,265
    Leon said:

If anyone needs cheering up, after so many scenes of Brits being a bit thick, I read this stat yesterday. A poll of French people showed that 25% of them believe the First World War included the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and the Battle of Marignano (a famous French victory in… 1515)

So we’re not alone in our dimwittery

You can at least understand their not being taught about Waterloo...

Foxy said:

£22bn in spending cuts were always going to piss off lefties, yet PB Tories somehow believe Reeves was ignorant enough to believe this wasn't going to happen. Labour are basically going get the unpopular decisions done early - and think they need to make - while the Tories are still rudderless.
    As David Smith points out in his ST article there is a lot more to come. We need tax increases of at least £40bn and further spending cuts of about the same in the October budget, the kind of reset we have not had since Geoffrey Howe in 1981. After that it just gets harder with iron discipline holding down public spending until the tax revenues catch up. If Reeves was smart and did this now she could well be in the position of reaping significant benefits by the next election.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,005

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I won’t mince my words, as frankly, I am furious. I have been proud of how effectively fellow
    However, I am extremely disappointed, albeit unsurprised, that these same individuals are unable to denounce far-right racist bigotry and violence with the same fervour.
    Top Tories like @SuellaBraverman @KemiBadenoch @pritipatel @JamesCleverly @RishiSunak @RobertJenrick @MelJStride and @TomTugendhat often tout our party as a model for the success of multiracial Britain when it suits them. And it is.
    Yet, when it comes to confronting the racists attempting to undermine our multiracial democracy, it becomes politically inconvenient to call it out for what it is.
    The Overton window has shifted so far that labelling racists as “racist” is now deemed too “woke” to risk the blowback! Let me tell you, it is right, not woke, to condemn the racists in our midst.

Wot Albie said :)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,265

Seems a long time since certain PBers and columnists approaching their climacteric were getting hot and bothered by sexy Sir Keir.
    Istr ‘He has a lovely smile’ was one of their’s.

On my personal graph, he was meh before the election, and remains meh.
    But it's way too early to judge the government on policy.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,530
    Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

Is she JD Vance is disguise?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,619
    edited August 4

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO

Starmer Derangement Syndrome
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,453

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

Is she JD Vance is disguise?
    Stop insulting JD Vance!
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,610

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's a simple test, and one people on the left have often failed in the past. When people you share some wider political sympathies with, incite or participate in violence, can you unequivocally condemn it or make excuses or even supportive noises. If the latter are unfit for office - and it's one lots, by no means all but a lot, on the right have failed in recent days.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490

Who could be opposed to better integration? But what does it look like and how do we get there?

How do we prepare the UK population and economy for the substantial pain a major reduction in immigration levels will entail?

Many of the cheap, shitty jobs are going to go.

The robots are already coming for the fruit pickers.

In many of the chain lunch places, rows of assistants at the tills have been replaced with rows of big screen ordering systems.

A relative does care assistance in a private hospital. They are involved in a trial for a Japanese robot that lifts people in/out of bed and other moves. Apparently arse wiping is on the way.

The biggest barrier is the ingrained belief that there is a right to infinite, minimum wage (or below) labour. As opposed to productivity investment.
    FPT…

It has become trendy to say that AI is all fur coat and no knickers. I remember the same being said about the internet in general as the froth blew off dotcom.

The reality of it, is that by the time of the next election it should be plain to far more people just how impactful these technologies will be, most particularly machine learning incorporated into robots with humanoid form factor.

We are not going to have a labour shortage in the 2030s, far from it. We should be thinking right now about what that means.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,689

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Why should they ?
    Oooh how very New Labour
    @LiamThorpECHO

Do you find all this funny?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,506
    Is Skir a dude or a dud? Evens atm imo
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,254
    MattW said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

It's not just pensioners; it's wealthier pensioners. The poorest have been protected.
    No they haven't.

1 in 3 who are eligible for pension credit, and therefore the new reformed energy benefit, don't claim it.

Reeves gave loads of warm words about getting more old poor folk to claim credit but they say that every time.

pm215 said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

As an aside, Labour said the same about Osborne's omnishambles budget.
    moonshine said:

Who could be opposed to better integration? But what does it look like and how do we get there?

How do we prepare the UK population and economy for the substantial pain a major reduction in immigration levels will entail?

In many of the chain lunch places, rows of assistants at the tills have been replaced with rows of big screen ordering systems.

A relative does care assistance in a private hospital. They are involved in a trial for a Japanese robot that lifts people in/out of bed and other moves. Apparently arse wiping is on the way.

The biggest barrier is the ingrained belief that there is a right to infinite, minimum wage (or below) labour. As opposed to productivity investment.
    FPT…

It has become trendy to say that AI is all fur coat and no knickers. I remember the same being said about the internet in general as the froth blew off dotcom.

The reality of it, is that by the time of the next election it should be plain to far more people just how impactful these technologies will be, most particularly machine learning incorporated into robots with humanoid form factor.

We are not going to have a labour shortage in the 2030s, far from it. We should be thinking right now about what that means.
    UBI seems to be a preferred solution of some.
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

Is it? Is it about winter fuel payments or is it the cancelled investment in trains and hospitals?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,530
    The last 5 US polls all have Harris with a lead over Trump - of between 2% and 5 %.

Will Trump have a poll lead ever again?

(Spoiler: yeah, probably with Rasmussen....)
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 949
    FF43 said:

That's easy. Go hard on law on order from all sides. Whether it be far right thugs or Muslims carrying knives who might be defending themselves but is still illegal
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Damn it. If I'd known that ahead of time, I'd have voted for him.
    You must be at the fringe with a toe curler like that
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,251
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

I estimate that Starmer lost a million votes over his approach to Gaza. It might have gained a few elsewhere but a massive net loss.
    Of course, he may have chosen to do the right thing over having those million votes. In which case, good for him.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 949

pm215 said:

Leon said:

Reeves also taking flak

Starmer is just continuity Sunak
    Blair has been in power for almost 3 decades now.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,251
    moonshine said:

FPT…

"... the time of the next election it should be plain to far more people just how impactful these technologies will be"

It's quite likely that the AI hype will prove to be a bubble, and lots of tech investors will lose a heck of a lot of money. That's certainly an impact.
This discussion has been closed.