Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can you spot the trend? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,279
    We can only hope so...

Republicans against Trump
    @RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    10h
    Trump trashes Brian Kemp, the popular GOP governor of Georgia: “He’s a disloyal guy, and he's a very average governor. Little Brian. Little Brian Kemp. Bad guy."

When the election is over, we’ll look back and say that today was the day Trump lost Georgia

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1819900232143958433
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,838
    edited August 4
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Vice President Kamala Harris will meet with top candidates to serve as her vice president on Sunday, closing out her search for a running mate with a test of whether she and her potential new partner click.

At least three leading candidates — Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota and Gov. Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania — are scheduled to meet with Ms. Harris on Sunday at her residence at the Naval Observatory, in Washington

NY Times

This is dragging on too long now. She is in danger of looking indecisive and losing the momentum she has gained.
    Not really. It's a test of her ability to make decisions and her methodology - set a date for the ting, do the thing by that date - is sound. It's not really a time-critical decision and given the potential for an unforced error she'd be forgiven for the time,

The ideal VP should be pleasant, calm, reassuring, and not hold any strong opinions on anything. Shapiro has taken a strong position on the Gazan War which will act as a drag on the ticket, not for the direction of his stance but that it exists. Walz has both-ways'd it, Kelly hasn't really mentioned it?

If the VP took an Ed Davey approach and did bungee jumps and visits to old people aerobics, I'd say the best would be Walz. As the dullest of the three he should be the winner. But I'm not doing the pick... :(
    Pennsylvania is the key state in the EC, Harris needs Shapiro to get it in her column. If a few leftists go for Stein and the Greens or stay home elsewhere and that hits her in the national popular vote, so what? As Hillary discovered winning the popular vote is irrelevant and even Hillary won Minnesota, so Walz adds nothing for Harris there either
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554
    boulay said:

Is there some secret rule about only allowing really attractive women to do Olympic Dressage?

Or...any old minger looks great in that gear!!
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    edited August 4

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

I also think the new government should find the £800 million for the supercomputer when the previous one didn't. It's not a huge sum in the scheme of things. It seems worthwhile on its own terms and maintains credibility in UK scientific projects when others have invested in this project on the understanding the computer would be in place.

The thing I don't get about this decision is that if flies in the face of Labour's growth and industries of the future message.

Labour's been in a month and they are cutting science and technology investment, cutting univeral benefits, getting rid of the social care cap, cutting transport projects, and throwing money at the union led public sector in pay rises. How the hell does that produce the business growth that's meant to pay for everything?

Maybe it will all change come the autumn, but I expect a damp squib now, and we will soon be wondering what happened to Labour's campaign promises.
    On your point about cutting Winter Fuel Allowance for better off pensioners and removing the social care cap while increasing public sector pay, I think it just shows public sector workers are a key constituency for Labour while the wealthy retired are not. The Conservatives constituencies are the other way round.

I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.
    Poor retired will have something to say about it, not all pensioners are rich
    Poor retired keep the winter fuel allowance. Even the rich pensioners get more state handouts next year than last due to the massive pension increase far outweighting the fuel allowance.
    Only the "poor retired" who claim it can keep the winter fuel allowance.
    Well sorry but I don't see why we should spend £1bn or so on wealthy pensioners because a few of the poorer ones are unwilling to claim what they are entitled to. By all means put some of the savings into a campaign to increase take up.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Vice President Kamala Harris will meet with top candidates to serve as her vice president on Sunday, closing out her search for a running mate with a test of whether she and her potential new partner click.

At least three leading candidates — Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota and Gov. Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania — are scheduled to meet with Ms. Harris on Sunday at her residence at the Naval Observatory, in Washington

NY Times

This is dragging on too long now. She is in danger of looking indecisive and losing the momentum she has gained.
    Not really. It's a test of her ability to make decisions and her methodology - set a date for the ting, do the thing by that date - is sound. It's not really a time-critical decision and given the potential for an unforced error she'd be forgiven for the time,

The ideal VP should be pleasant, calm, reassuring, and not hold any strong opinions on anything. Shapiro has taken a strong position on the Gazan War which will act as a drag on the ticket, not for the direction of his stance but that it exists. Walz has both-ways'd it, Kelly hasn't really mentioned it?

If the VP took an Ed Davey approach and did bungee jumps and visits to old people aerobics, I'd say the best would be Walz. As the dullest of the three he should be the winner. But I'm not doing the pick... :(
    I’d actually say that Kelly was the easy choice. Not so much as bland in himself, but in American culture, everyone loves astronauts.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The BBC are meticulously destroying any evidence that they once employed Huw Edwards:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0w44nz6nneo

Future generations will never enjoy his sonorous voice-over at Jimmy Savile's state funeral.

Which is ridiculous, archives are supposed to be objective and reflect the facts of the time and the record as it was. Not be brushed up because someone whose voice is present on it is no longer of benefit for the organisation's PR purposes
    For once, I agree with you HYUFD.
    There's something a bit Soviet Russia about airbrushing history like this.
    It's a national archive, so at the very least there should be public debate before destroying bits if it.
    The word 'archive' can be used in different ways in modern corporate speak. In some cases the main role of the corporate archivist is to destroy all records and paperwork that aren't strictly necessary under law or for operational reasons, lest they be have to be searched under legal demands for any evidence.

In the case of the BBC, is it really destroying the files or simply restricting public access?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    edited August 4
    This is from the Tory MP for Beaconsfield, quoting Bill Cash.

"Joy Morrissey MP
    @joymorrissey

“Brexit and democracy are now directly endangered by a cabal of arch Remainers” Bill Cash""

https://x.com/joymorrissey/status/1820041195000565814
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The BBC are meticulously destroying any evidence that they once employed Huw Edwards:

Future generations will never enjoy his sonorous voice-over at Jimmy Savile's state funeral.

Which is ridiculous, archives are supposed to be objective and reflect the facts of the time and the record as it was. Not be brushed up because someone whose voice is present on it is no longer of benefit for the organisation's PR purposes
    It's a national archive, so at the very least there should be public debate before destroying bits if it.
    It should be there, along with stuff featuring Jimmy Savile and others. Put a warning on it, if you like. It’s history and truth.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,269
    Andy_JS said:

"Joy Morrissey MP
    @joymorrissey

“Brexit and democracy are now directly endangered by a cabal of arch Remainers” Bill Cash""

LOL. Cash is another idiot who thinks that his views equals democracy...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

Walz isnt dull - certainly not as a speaker; that's Kelly.
    I don't honestly think it's vastly important who she picks, as none are bad. If it were me, I'd actually go for Buttigieg, but I think that's a little unlikely.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909
    edited August 4

Andy_JS said:

"Joy Morrissey MP
    @joymorrissey

Cash is King

(Just don't mention it to @Anabobazina )
    edited August 4
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The word 'archive' can be used in different ways in modern corporate speak. In some cases the main role of the corporate archivist is to destroy all records and paperwork that aren't strictly necessary under law or for operational reasons, lest they be have to be searched under legal demands for any evidence.

In the case of the BBC, is it really destroying the files or simply restricting public access?

James Hacker: [reads memo] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, some correspondence lost in the floods of 1967...

James Hacker: Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, a marvellous winter. We lost no end of embarrassing files.

James Hacker: [reads] Some records which went astray in the move to London and others when the War Office was incorporated in the Ministry of Defence, and the normal withdrawal of papers whose publication could give grounds for an action for libel or breach of confidence or cause embarrassment to friendly governments.

James Hacker: That's pretty comprehensive. How many does that normally leave for them to look at?
    James Hacker: How many does it actually leave? About a hundred?... Fifty?... Ten?... Five?... Four?... Three?... Two?... One?... Zero?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes, Minister.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,793

Yeah means testing a relatively small benefit is a great way of wasting money on administration to claw back a relatively small sum whilst making life more dificult for the poorest. Means testing makes a lot more sense for larger benefits than something like the winter fuel payment, and many people at the margin will feel aggrieved.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,489

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

I also think the new government should find the £800 million for the supercomputer when the previous one didn't. It's not a huge sum in the scheme of things. It seems worthwhile on its own terms and maintains credibility in UK scientific projects when others have invested in this project on the understanding the computer would be in place.

The thing I don't get about this decision is that if flies in the face of Labour's growth and industries of the future message.

Labour's been in a month and they are cutting science and technology investment, cutting univeral benefits, getting rid of the social care cap, cutting transport projects, and throwing money at the union led public sector in pay rises. How the hell does that produce the business growth that's meant to pay for everything?

Maybe it will all change come the autumn, but I expect a damp squib now, and we will soon be wondering what happened to Labour's campaign promises.
    On your point about cutting Winter Fuel Allowance for better off pensioners and removing the social care cap while increasing public sector pay, I think it just shows public sector workers are a key constituency for Labour while the wealthy retired are not. The Conservatives constituencies are the other way round.

Poor retired keep the winter fuel allowance. Even the rich pensioners get more state handouts next year than last due to the massive pension increase far outweighting the fuel allowance.
    Well sorry but I don't see why we should spend £1bn or so on wealthy pensioners because a few of the poorer ones are unwilling to claim what they are entitled to. By all means put some of the savings into a campaign to increase take up.
    I don’t think their messaging was right on this and I think they could’ve done with laying the groundwork for it.

It felt a little bit like a bit of a reactive tantrum: “look what the Tories have done! Because of this you can’t have this nice thing anymore. And by the way your taxes are also going up in the budget.”

They’d have perhaps been better at testing the water first and mentioning some universal benefits would need to be restricted. And coupling it with some of the messaging as you have said above. It was very curious why they decided to come out with it at the same time as the public sector pay rise news because then the two are linked (the “I am not getting my money because rich doctors are getting a pay rise” narrative is starting already).
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,334
    The Nazis burned books

The Farascists burned a library yesterday
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

The point is Labour are not cutting investment because the Conservatives never allocated the funding in the first place.

My challenge to the the new government, forget what the Conservatives did - they are irrelevant now. You're there ones in charge. Is this project worth funding, with all the other constraints, or is it not?
    They are cuttting a particular investment in order to clawback money from a spending department.
    While it wasn't properly budgeted for (thanks, Tories), cutting it is a cut.

I haven't seen the specific economic analysis for it, but on the face if it, this seems a plainly bad decision.
    I'm not 100% - the design, heck the whole point of Super Computers may simply not be that relevant in this new world of AI..
    I'm not 100% either, which is why I qualified my comment. But note that the announcement also cut several hundred million in other computing projects.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, legally the records manager can destroy any records not required under the organisation's retention schedule, whether for legal or operational reasons as you say. However some records will be transferred to the archives for historical research purposes for the archivist to maintain and these records include the ones with Huw Edwards on broadcasts of state events the BBC are now tampering with
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,334

Andy_JS said:

"Joy Morrissey MP
    @joymorrissey

Like this asshat

https://x.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1820051988182081824

@mikeysmith

If we’re doing daft maths, 12 million more people voted for remain in 2016 than for Reform in 2024.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Knowing the BBC's record on this ...
    edited August 4
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

I don't honestly think it's vastly important who she picks, as none are bad. If it were me, I'd actually go for Buttigieg, but I think that's a little unlikely.
    Given how close it looks between Trump and Harris this is likely to be the most pivotal VP pick since JFK picked LBJ who ensured he won Texas in 1960 and the EC (which he otherwise would have lost if it was not for Mayor Daley finding enough dead bodies in Chicago for JFK to beat Nixon in Illinois). In 2000 too I am sure in retrospect Gore wishes he had picked Florida Senator Bill Nelson as his VP candidate as Florida would have won him the EC. Lieberman helped with the Jewish vote there but not enough overall to win
    Andy_JS said:

The BBC shouldn't be trying to alter their archives imo. They can't pretend that Edwards wasn't presenting the news nearly every day for about 15 years or whatever it was.

A thought occurs - is it possible that, in addition to his vast salary, Edwards has rights on broadcasts featuring him? So that he gets residuals when they are viewed?

Which would be doubly embarrassing for the BBC - the fact of such an agreement and having to continue to pay an unperson.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 951
    Andy_JS said:

The BBC shouldn't be trying to alter their archives imo. They can't pretend that Edwards wasn't presenting the news nearly every day for about 15 years or whatever it was.

It's ridiculous really.

Are they gonna scrub the election nights he led?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,279

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

I don’t think their messaging was right on this and I think they could’ve done with laying the groundwork for it.

It felt a little bit like a bit of a reactive tantrum: “look what the Tories have done! Because of this you can’t have this nice thing anymore. And by the way your taxes are also going up in the budget.”

They’d have perhaps been better at testing the water first and mentioning some universal benefits would need to be restricted. And coupling it with some of the messaging as you have said above. It was very curious why they decided to come out with it at the same time as the public sector pay rise news because then the two are linked (the “I am not getting my money because rich doctors are getting a pay rise” narrative is starting already).
    Reeves has had a dreadful start imho.

Scott_xP said:

The Nazis burned books

And the BBC tamper with archives...

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

It should be there, along with stuff featuring Jimmy Savile and others. Put a warning on it, if you like. It’s history and truth.
    What next? Hitler removed from history books in case he triggers the sensitive?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,470
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The Nazis burned books

Only with their ex employees who were tamperers.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    edited August 4

Andy_JS said:

A thought occurs - is it possible that, in addition to his vast salary, Edwards has rights on broadcasts featuring him? So that he gets residuals when they are viewed?

Which would be doubly embarrassing for the BBC - the fact of such an agreement and having to continue to pay an unperson.
    BBC 'normal' process on that - I think - tends to be to keep things online for a year, then they vanish. It has changed over the years.

It's notable that tis happens to some programmes and not others, also with iPlayer. I think it is to do with who is the principal in making the programme, and whether they are BBC staff or now-independents, and whether the making of the programme is subcontracted and perhaps who owns the IP in the programme.

One example who did work for the Beed then go independent with commissioned radio programmes was Rosemary Harthill. Kirsty Wark also made some millions via commissioned TV programmes.

I'm not sure what Portillo does. Various arrangements for Top Gear, tool "The Gorilla" owned a chunk of it.
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

The far right aren’t stopping - and neither are we. Yesterday showed when we come out in big numbers we can beat them back. And we need to continue that today:

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

Do the dick heads on the left need the dick heads on the right to feel relevant or what? A pox on both of them.
    If this continues it is only going to become worse with extremes of right and left taking each other on on the streets and cities of our country

I believe the media are not helping and as an example Sky broadcast live from Southport every day last week and frankly, IMHO, the journalists would have been better returning to their studios and turning down the dial

Looking at the make up of the demonstrators what is worrying is just how many young people are at the forefront and, despite the widespread criticism which is justified, it needs to be asked why are these people so angry and, yes the police can arrest and imprison some of them but it looks like the genie is out of the bottle and serious questions how to address these issues need to be considered and not for mps to stand aloof in Westminster

Whats the longest we ever go without some summer riots? Seems to happen every 5-10 years.
    Wikipedia implies it’s a quasi-decadal event, like the sunspot cycle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_riots

1981, 1991, 2001, 2011, 2024. So we were overdue.

Though I expect that page may be a bit selective. And that’s England. Add Northern Ireland and it’s somewhat more regular.

There’s definitely a tendency for people to think everything is much more dramatic and unprecedented than in the past. We see it with geopolitics and economics. When in fact every few years at least there’s something that makes everyone fear the end of the world.
    2021 summer riots delayed by covid, I guess?
    Probably just government planning going to pot as usual. Everything is delayed these days, ask the Scottish islands about ferries (and stand well back).
    These riots are quite different from what we've seen in the recent past in England, as they are mainly not carried out by an ethnic minority who see themselves marginalised.

Therefore I expect they will have a much larger political impact i.e. the violence will impact policy whether we like it or not.
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Knowing the BBC's record on this ...
    The BBC iirc gave Getty Images the foundation of the GI photo archive for a small sum, albeit under pressure from the Thatcher / Major "sell off everything" tendency. We are perhaps lucky that the Crown Jewels are still in the Tower of London, and not the Sandpit.
    edited August 4
    Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

The far right aren’t stopping - and neither are we. Yesterday showed when we come out in big numbers we can beat them back. And we need to continue that today:

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

Do the dick heads on the left need the dick heads on the right to feel relevant or what? A pox on both of them.
    If this continues it is only going to become worse with extremes of right and left taking each other on on the streets and cities of our country

I believe the media are not helping and as an example Sky broadcast live from Southport every day last week and frankly, IMHO, the journalists would have been better returning to their studios and turning down the dial

Looking at the make up of the demonstrators what is worrying is just how many young people are at the forefront and, despite the widespread criticism which is justified, it needs to be asked why are these people so angry and, yes the police can arrest and imprison some of them but it looks like the genie is out of the bottle and serious questions how to address these issues need to be considered and not for mps to stand aloof in Westminster

Whats the longest we ever go without some summer riots? Seems to happen every 5-10 years.

Though I expect that page may be a bit selective. And that’s England. Add Northern Ireland and it’s somewhat more regular.

There’s definitely a tendency for people to think everything is much more dramatic and unprecedented than in the past. We see it with geopolitics and economics. When in fact every few years at least there’s something that makes everyone fear the end of the world.
    Probably just government planning going to pot as usual. Everything is delayed these days, ask the Scottish islands about ferries (and stand well back).
    These riots are quite different from what we've seen in the recent past in England, as they are mainly not carried out by an ethnic minority who see themselves marginalised.

Therefore I expect they will have a much larger political impact i.e. the violence will impact policy whether we like it or not.
    '...not carried out by an ethnic minority who see themselves marginalised.' Except the EDL backing white working class taking part in these riots see themselves as exactly that, not dissimilar to Trump and Le Pen's core white working class vote in the US and France either who also see themselves marginalised by the liberal white middle classes and rising non white population and in the EDL's case are driven too by Islamophobia
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,215
    Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

I think the evidence is that they are exactly the same in that they are being carried out by an ethnic minority (at least locally) who consider themselves marginalised and ignored by the establishment.
    Nunu5 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's ridiculous really.

Are they gonna scrub the election nights he led?
    Or the Queen's funeral?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,904
    glw said:

Yeah means testing a relatively small benefit is a great way of wasting money on administration to claw back a relatively small sum whilst making life more dificult for the poorest. Means testing makes a lot more sense for larger benefits than something like the winter fuel payment, and many people at the margin will feel aggrieved.
    Hard for some on here to understand that fact and also that not all pensioners are rich or living off the state and they are struggling as it is.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I am not entirely sure that Attila the Hun was wholly woke either.
    DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

I think the evidence is that they are exactly the same in that they are being carried out by an ethnic minority (at least locally) who consider themselves marginalised and ignored by the establishment.
    None of that is true. Not in Liverpool, not in Southport, in Hartlepool, in many of these towns and cities whites are nowhere near the minority. They might consider themselves marginalised but they are nowhere near "a minority in my own country" as they like to put it
    HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

'...not carried out by an ethnic minority who see themselves marginalised.' Except the EDL backing white working class taking part in these riots see themselves as exactly that, not dissimilar to Trump and Le Pen's core white working class vote in the US and France either who also see themselves marginalised by the liberal white middle classes and rising non white population and in the EDL's case are driven too by Islamophobia
    Well they are wrong
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,841
    The Mail is chock full of posters supporting the rioters, as yesterday.

Very little moderation, and a consensus in favour of the violence of about 9-1. Something is rotten in Middle England.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The History Hitler Channel would have to be closed.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,194
    edited August 4
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, legally the records manager can destroy any records not required under the organisation's retention schedule, whether for legal or operational reasons as you say. However some records will be transferred to the archives for historical research purposes for the archivist to maintain and these records include the ones with Huw Edwards on broadcasts of state events the BBC are now tampering with
    I doubt very much that https://www.bbc.co.uk/archiveservices are actually deleting footage of Huw Edwards. It’s still in the archives, it’s just not directly available for public viewing / broadcast.

Just because footage has been removed from iPlayer or the public facing BBC archive website doesn’t mean it’s gone forever. You can go to the BFI and view all the Saville footage you like right for research purposes I suspect. You won’t be allowed to broadcast any of it or make copies though.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,843
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The Nazis burned books

Winston Smith being kept busy.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,620

Very little moderation, and a consensus in favour of the violence of about 9-1. Something is rotten in Middle England.

The Mail comment section ain't Middle England. It hasn't been for some time.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

Given how close it looks between Trump and Harris this is likely to be the most pivotal VP pick since JFK picked LBJ who ensured he won Texas in 1960 and the EC (which he otherwise would have lost if it was not for Mayor Daley finding enough dead bodies in Chicago for JFK to beat Nixon in Illinois). In 2000 too I am sure in retrospect Gore wishes he had picked Florida Senator Bill Nelson as his VP candidate as Florida would have won him the EC. Lieberman helped with the Jewish vote there but not enough overall to win
    Bill “Ballast” Nelson is an ex-astronaut. Sort of.

Most of the Mail posters, incidentally, are act8vejy supporting the violence, incidentally, not asking for a "debate on immigration".

The failure to act on the Leveson recommendations becomes a more pressing issue all the time.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,446
    DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

They look very like the pissed up, pilled up blokes who spend most Saturday afternoons from September to May looking for fights in and around football grounds.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964
    RefUK chair Zia Yusuf fingers Labour for stoking unrest:-

Last night @UKLabour spread misinformation about an acid attack.

@Keir_Starmer previously made clear how awful such behaviour is.

Does he stand by his words and will he apologise to the British people?

My letter to Keir Starmer

https://x.com/ZiaYusufUK/status/1820056521419427871

Some overexcited Labour MP, apparently. See tweet for letter to SKS.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    boulay said:

Is there some secret rule about only allowing really attractive women to do Olympic Dressage?

It’s called assortative mating
    Nunu5 said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

Well they are wrong
    Well, in thuggish ethnic violence, they resemble all the other thuggish ethnic violence retailers.

Just because they are white and come from U.K. culture their bullshit is more obvious to other white UKians.

There is a tendency to Orientalism (see Edward Said) - suspending judgement on the Other and Furrin’ just because it is Other and Furrin’

The EDL are the RSS, without some discipline, for example.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

They look very like the pissed up, pilled up blokes who spend most Saturday afternoons from September to May looking for fights in and around football grounds.

Yes, because the BBC and other media outlets are very happy to show the angry white blokes, but don't want to show images of the Muslims with machetes for fear of "stoking tensions".
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

1960 result far more nuanced than "Daley stole Chicago":

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2000/10/was-nixon-robbed.html
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266

Most of the Mail posters, incidentally, are act8vejy supporting the violence, incidentally, not asking for a "debate on immigration".

The failure to act on the Leveson recommendations becomes a more pressing issue all the time.

They are also repeating the claim that Starmer is on holiday.
    WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

Yes, because the BBC and other media outlets are very happy to show the angry white blokes, but don't want to show images of the Muslims with machetes for fear of "stoking tensions".
    But that doesn’t work any more because everyone can see the Muslims with machetes on TwiX. Some of the videos have had several millions of views - possibly more impact than if they’d gone out on the TV
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,788
    Leon said:

If anyone needs cheering up, after so many scenes of Brits being a bit thick, I read this stat yesterday. A poll of French people showed that 25% of them believe the First World War included the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and the Battle of Marignano (a famous French victory in… 1515)

So we’re not alone in our dimwittery

There is an argument that the napoleonic wars were the first World War (the war of Spanish succession was really European with some international aspects)
    Tres said:

Perhaps not, but alongside the lagered-up feel, there have also been quite a few "I'm a little old lady living in a country and, you know what, I support them !" -type posts.

The Mail, and even more, the Daily Express, have clearly had a role stoking all this for many years, but I grant you that many of their more recent pro-rioter posters would eem also probably to be more happy in the Sun comment section.

Leon said:

If anyone needs cheering up, after so many scenes of Brits being a bit thick, I read this stat yesterday. A poll of French people showed that 25% of them believe the First World War included the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and the Battle of Marignano (a famous French victory in… 1515)

So we’re not alone in our dimwittery

There is an argument that the napoleonic wars were the first World War (the war of Spanish succession was really European with some international aspects)
    Which puts 1870 where? To the French, WWI was “Again….”
    Leon said:

WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

But that doesn’t work any more because everyone can see the Muslims with machetes on TwiX. Some of the videos have had several millions of views - possibly more impact than if they’d gone out on the TV
    The lack of impartiality is astonishing. It was the same with the triple stabbing in Dublin when it happened. The media makes very clear when it is "far right" violence (knowing everyone correctly reads that as angry white guys) but skims over the background of the other side, or who committed the initial attack.

We are also paying the price for no major action ever happening over the tens of thousands of white children that got raped by a certain background of street grooming gangs. There was a brief moment of openness when the sheer scale of government failure became apparent, but it was quickly moved on from by the media. If the public don't trust the authorities to be fair, they sadly take action into their own hands.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,788
    FF43 said:

I think Farage's disingenuous encouragement of the mob should, and actually does, cause problems for the Conservative Party, given its flirtation with Reform. It doesn't know whether to go hard on law and order or to show some understanding of those creating disorder.

Why not both?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,269
    edited August 4
    *Way* off-topic:

WhistlinDiesel vs Cybertruck vs Ford F150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK_EJ3DyiiA
    edited August 4
    This is a bit of the Leeanderthal view.

Ignorance, dog-whistles, and inept shit-stirring. I'd say this poisonous mixture will blow up in their faces. They don't have the political skill to make the pig-in-a-poke fly.

Man attacks woman.

But it's OK folks as this is the Olympics where they think it's OK for men to punch women. And the punishment is a possible gold medal.

Shameful. Put this 'female' boxer in with Mike Tyson.

https://x.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1819018700868944249

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

What could possibly go wrong?

https://x.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1820033424880464052
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    malcolmg said:

glw said:

Hard for some on here to understand that fact and also that not all pensioners are rich or living off the state and they are struggling as it is.
    A majority of PB posters are rich pensioners, which skews the discussion somewhat.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,304
    edited August 4
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

I just can't see past the importance of Pennsylvania. The election could be won or lost there and Shapiro has a 54% approval rating as governor. He is particularly strong with moderates and soft Republicans having upset some of his base with vouchers and Gaza. That seems to me a good rebalancing of the ticket although I agree Walz looks reassuring too.

I accept that the evidence of a VP pick making a difference in their State is sparse (I am reminded of that No American President cartoon) but Harris really cannot afford not to take every advantage in Penn.
    If Harris takes Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, both of which she's favourite to take on Betfair, then Harris gets 270 seats to Trump's 268. It's that close. But I think the upside is with Harris.
    MattW said:

Ignorance, dog-whistles, and inept shit-stirring. I'd say this poisonous mixture will blow up in their faces. They don't have the political skill to make the pig fly.

Man attacks woman.

But it's OK folks as this is the Olympics where they think it's OK for men to punch women. And the punishment is a possible gold medal.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

Some sub-Trumpian nicknames there....
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

None of that is true. Not in Liverpool, not in Southport, in Hartlepool, in many of these towns and cities whites are nowhere near the minority. They might consider themselves marginalised but they are nowhere near "a minority in my own country" as they like to put it
    I don’t think it’s coincidence that the riots have started now that the party of Braverman and Jenrick are no longer in power.

We can only hope so...

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    10h
    Trump trashes Brian Kemp, the popular GOP governor of Georgia: “He’s a disloyal guy, and he's a very average governor. Little Brian. Little Brian Kemp. Bad guy."

When the election is over, we’ll look back and say that today was the day Trump lost Georgia

If Harris gains Georgia then it's 286 to 252 and she gain afford to lose Wisconsin, but not Pennsylvania.
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

I just can't see past the importance of Pennsylvania. The election could be won or lost there and Shapiro has a 54% approval rating as governor. He is particularly strong with moderates and soft Republicans having upset some of his base with vouchers and Gaza. That seems to me a good rebalancing of the ticket although I agree Walz looks reassuring too.

I accept that the evidence of a VP pick making a difference in their State is sparse (I am reminded of that No American President cartoon) but Harris really cannot afford not to take every advantage in Penn.
    If Harris takes Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, both of which she's favourite to take on Betfair, then Harris gets 270 seats to Trump's 268. It's that close. But I think the upside is with Harris.
    I made that point yesterday by reference to the RCP map. The way it is going it may not be that close but this is the sure way.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,470
    dixiedean said:

No problem, holibags Tommeh seems to be capable of organising a putsch from poolside. Mind you the hunners of tweets he's currently firing out suggests that he's got plenty of recreational 'fuel'.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

The lack of impartiality is astonishing. It was the same with the triple stabbing in Dublin when it happened. The media makes very clear when it is "far right" violence (knowing everyone correctly reads that as angry white guys) but skims over the background of the other side, or who committed the initial attack.

We are also paying the price for no major action ever happening over the tens of thousands of white children that got raped by a certain background of street grooming gangs. There was a brief moment of openness when the sheer scale of government failure became apparent, but it was quickly moved on from by the media. If the public don't trust the authorities to be fair, they sadly take action into their own hands.
    I know nothing about the Dublin stabbing, was it a racist and/or ideologically motivated attack?

FF43 said:

I think Farage's disingenuous encouragement of the mob should, and actually does, cause problems for the Conservative Party, given its flirtation with Reform. It doesn't know whether to go hard on law and order or to show some understanding of those creating disorder.

Why not both?
    The Nazis beating up the Jews in Kristallnacht is wrong but we need to understand why they did it is not a respectable position to take.
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

The 54% approval understates Shapiro's appeal. He ran 15 points ahead of Biden's margin in the state.
    edited August 4
    Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

London is now white British minority as is Leicester, 45.5% and 33% white British respectively. Manchester is also now only 48% white British and Brimingham 43% white British and Nottingham 57% white British. So in some areas affected last night it is
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_British
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    Barnesian said:

We can only hope so...

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    10h

If Harris gains Georgia then it's 286 to 252 and she gain afford to lose Wisconsin, but not Pennsylvania.
    Biden won Georgia in 2020, so not sure which map you're referring to?
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,344
    glw said:

Abolishing the WFP all together, but raising the pension credit by an equivalent amount, spread over the months of Dec, Jan and Feb would be more sensible, but politically more difficult.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,498
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

Hence PA it is.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529
    Depressing to see thuggery on our streets. But at least we know the police CAN sometimes maintain order.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,513

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

He is a lying toerag, typical Labour. Anti pensioner , anti Scottish and likely anti a lot more.

What has he done that is anti-Scottish?
    just cancelled very large IT project at Edinburgh University, said he will decide Scotland's future not the people, f**ked up pensioners despite them saying hte opposite previously, b**gered the Oil & Gas with that clown Milliband and will rob us even further with his Energy company that will be a sham and build everything in Scotland then charge us double to get it back. Do for starters
    You absolutely right about oil and gas, but isn't this (and worse) SNP policy too? So it cannot necessarily be seen through an anti-Scottish lense.
    And the super computer seems to be another example of announcements being made without the money actually being allocated to the project...
    On a very tangential note, I am still in campaign mode for a British AI. It will do more for Britain's soft power than the World Service (let's face it the BBC) and must happen.
    What do you mean by a 'British AI' ?
    I mean an alternative to ChatGPT/Gemini etc. that uses British conventions and potentially draws upon new sources of data (like historical books, historical journals, records, newspapers and broadcasts).

dixiedean said:

No problem, holibags Tommeh seems to be capable of organising a putsch from poolside. Mind you the hunners of tweets he's currently firing out suggests that he's got plenty of recreational 'fuel'.
    You are referring to the English Defence League run from Spain by a man with an Irish passport?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

MattW said:

Ignorance, dog-whistles, and inept shit-stirring. I'd say this poisonous mixture will blow up in their faces. They don't have the political skill to make the pig fly.

Man attacks woman.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

Two tier Keir is probably the best I’ve seen.

Leon said:

boulay said:

It’s called assortative mating
    I thought it was called horse dancing.
    kamski said:

Barnesian said:

We can only hope so...

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    10h

Biden won Georgia in 2020, so not sure which map you're referring to?
    I stand corrected. Wins not gains. If she wins Georgia again then she can lose Wisconsin but not Pennsylvania.

Seems a long time since certain PBers and columnists approaching their climacteric were getting hot and bothered by sexy Sir Keir.
    Istr ‘He has a lovely smile’ was one of their’s.

Seems a lifetime ago.
    DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

I made that point yesterday by reference to the RCP map. The way it is going it may not be that close but this is the sure way.
    Doesn’t the winning candidate usually lose a state everyone thought was a dead cert, and win at least one that no one expected ?
    edited August 4

MattW said:

Man attacks woman.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

I commented last night on how Yaxley-Lennon had started pushing Christian-Nationalist buttons. I don't think that will fly here, as we have no serious such tradition with any depth afaik - outside Wooster, anyway.

There is, however, a micro-tradition of Far RIght Leaders reading the Christmas Story, Channelling Blofeld and Cat Ladies. I don't know if there are elements of Reform or Hawk-Tuah Tories who would try this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreITHdm6NY
  • TresTres Posts: 2,620
    edited August 4

Depressing to see thuggery on our streets. But at least we know the police CAN sometimes maintain order.

On the other hand the preponderance of swastika tattooed, cider swilling yobs in the coverage make a lot of casual racists who have to feverishly comment on every development feel comfortable that they themselves aren't that bad.

See VVV below.

Tres said:

Perhaps not, but alongside the lagered-up feel, there have also been quite a few "I'm a little old lady living in a country and, you know what, I support them !" -type posts.

The Mail, and even more, the Daily Express, have clearly had a role stoking all this for many years, but I grant you that many of their more recent pro-rioter posters would eem also probably to be more happy in the Sun comment section.
    OR, a large minority of British people have had it with mass immigration and the boats. Is this really so shocking? We have just experienced 2.4 MILLION migrants in 3 years. Most of them non-western. You can see this on your streets. Everyone can see it

No one asked for it. No one wanted it. Indeed in the Brexit vote the people - in the biggest vote ever - said Stop. Reduce immigration. Take back control!

The vote didn’t work. The Tories betrayed the people. So democracy apparently doesn’t function which leaves…. famously… violence and riots. The voice of the unheard

This is not to excuse a single thug bricking a single window. Lock them all up. But riots generally don’t come from nowhere - very often there is a context
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

Doesn’t the winning candidate usually lose a state everyone thought was a dead cert, and win at least one that no one expected ?
    It would be great if she unexpectedly lost New Mexico and gained Texas.
    MattW said:

Ignorance, dog-whistles, and inept shit-stirring. I'd say this poisonous mixture will blow up in their faces. They don't have the political skill to make the pig-in-a-poke fly.

Man attacks woman.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

Lee Anderson is quite good in Commons Committees, where he asks hard questions and they are sometimes quite devastating. He should stick more to this strategy on Twitter - ask questions and let his more strident followers provide the answers. Get him in a lot less trouble, and potentially might open up some fruitful lines of attack on the Government, or at least some fruitful discussions.
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Man attacks woman.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

I commented last night on how Yaxley-Lennon had started pushing Christian-Nationalist buttons. I don't think that will fly here, as we have no serious such tradition with any depth afaik - outside Wooster, anyway.

There is, however, a micro-tradition of Far RIght Leaders reading the Christmas Story, Channelling Blofeld and Cat Ladies. I don't know if Farage would try this one.

“started pushing Christian-Nationalist buttons”?

He and his ilk have always *tried* pushing those buttons. And failing, mostly.
    edited August 4
    Leon said:

Tres said:

OR, a large minority of British people have had it with mass immigration and the boats. Is this really so shocking? We have just experienced 2.4 MILLION migrants in 3 years. Most of them non-western. You can see this on your streets. Everyone can see it

No one asked for it. No one wanted it. Indeed in the Brexit vote the people - in the biggest vote ever - said Stop. Reduce immigration. Take back control!

The vote didn’t work. The Tories betrayed the people. So democracy apparently doesn’t function which leaves…. famously… violence and riots. The voice of the unheard

This is not to excuse a single thug bricking a single window. Lock them all up. But riots generally don’t come from nowhere - very often there is a context
    They also had Reform to vote for too on 4th July and 14% of voters did winning 5 MPs for Farage, the ballot box is always better than violence to express discontent

Seems a long time since certain PBers and columnists approaching their climacteric were getting hot and bothered by sexy Sir Keir.
    Istr ‘He has a lovely smile’ was one of their’s.

Seems a lifetime ago.
    It was only @Heathener i believe. And she is quite “eccentric”
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,645
    Leon said:

WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

The police statemqent that 'nobody was stabbed in Stoke' yesterday ignores the eyewitness accounts of what actually happened, that a bunch of white youths were throwing bricks when a bunch of 'Muslim' youths came down the street and squared up to them, with at least one white youth being hit with a blunt object, possibly a hammer. 'Nobody was stabbed in Stoke' sounds disingenuous in that context.

There are other videos with Muslim men walking around with swords and baseball bats. There is video of a police officer telling Muslims to 'leave their weapons in the mosque'. As I said yesterday, they may be coming to the defence of their community, but the mainstream media spin that yesterday was just 'far right agitators' doesn't quite add up. I know a few Jewish people who patrolled their community after Jewish businesses were smashed up after October 7th. As far as I'm aware, none of them came out tooled up.

While my own view is that far right types like Tommy Robinson have been allowed to stoke up hate on social media, the mainstream media is also deliberately suppressing the very sectarian flavour - hat tip to MisterBedforshire - of the recent violence. We now have groups of people in the UK who are diametrically opposed in their race/religion and hate the other side.

Pinning the blame squarely on the white working class, when what we are seeing is at least a decade or more of failing multiculturalism, declining living standards, increased competition for social services, etc, is not going to cool things down, particularly in the context of the unprecedented mass migration of the last two or three years.

People are watching videos that don't fit the mainstream media narrative, some of them self-explanatory, others clearly pandering to those with a far right (or far left) worldview, but amplified by the social media algorithm that rewards controversy and polarisation. As long as that situation continues, and as long as successive governments continue to ignore legitimate concerns about migration and ignore the forming of parallel communities where people don't integrate at all, I fear there is more trouble ahead.

malcolmg said:

glw said:

A majority of PB posters are rich pensioners, which skews the discussion somewhat.
    Fairlie , Rich , very rich or rich pensioners and Tory through and through
    Leon said:

Tres said:

The people were ignored kind of is an excuse, isn't it?

The problem with the people is that they send a shedload of mixed messages. Including, currently, thinking the Leave vote in 2016 was a mistake.

edited August 4
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

They also had Reform to vote for too on 4th July and 14% of voters did winning 5 MPs for Farage, the ballot box is always better than violence to express discontent
    Is it? The ballot box of Brexit failed to secure our borders. I am sure that is partly responsible for the dismal turnout at GE 2024. British democracy is failing - visibly

And the Tories are to blame. 2.4 million migrants in three years. The greatest influx in our history by an enormous margin - what were they thinking? What did they honestly expect? And this after they won a Brexit with a promise to take back control of the borders?

It was insanely irresponsible

Only when it suits though
    edited August 4

MattW said:

MattW said:

Man attacks woman.

5 more years of
    Sir Keir Stalin.
    Calamity Cooper
    &
    Rachel Thieves.

There is, however, a micro-tradition of Far RIght Leaders reading the Christmas Story, Channelling Blofeld and Cat Ladies. I don't know if Farage would try this one.

“started pushing Christian-Nationalist buttons”?

He and his ilk have always *tried* pushing those buttons. And failing, mostly.
    I've seem some commentary suggesting that St George and similar imagery has a more dominant presence than previously. TBF I haven't been watching this at all closely for quite some time.

Locally I'm watching for a Leeanderthal-facilitated recrudescence; I don't think he has anything like the skills necessary, but could possibly be a useful idiot.
    Tres said:

On the other hand the preponderance of swastika tattooed, cider swilling yobs in the coverage make a lot of casual racists who have to feverishly comment on every development feel comfortable that they themselves aren't that bad.

See VVV below.
    It’s the ghastly, furring’ style of ethnic rioting that depresses me.

Where are the tricorn hats? Proper cudgels make from British Oak? Stoning Apsley House? Proper British causes to riot over - 'Give us our eleven days! '??

#SaveTheTraditionalBritishRiot
    kamski said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

I know nothing about the Dublin stabbing, was it a racist and/or ideologically motivated attack?
    It was a guy of Algerian background who stabbed kids. And they never released the motive, which seems suspcious. Meanwhile the Irish press went into detail about the far right details of the rioters. We need more consistency.
    edited August 4
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

DavidL said:

Nunu5 said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    42m
    TODAY 🚨

📍 Rotherham
    📍 Birmingham
    @sutrbrum

📍 Weymouth
    📍 Lancaster

The police statemqent that 'nobody was stabbed in Stoke' yesterday ignores the eyewitness accounts of what actually happened, that a bunch of white youths were throwing bricks when a bunch of 'Muslim' youths came down the street and squared up to them, with at least one white youth being hit with a blunt object, possibly a hammer. 'Nobody was stabbed in Stoke' sounds disingenuous in that context.

There are other videos with Muslim men walking around with swords and baseball bats. There is video of a police officer telling Muslims to 'leave their weapons in the mosque'. As I said yesterday, they may be coming to the defence of their community, but the mainstream media spin that yesterday was just 'far right agitators' doesn't quite add up. I know a few Jewish people who patrolled their community after Jewish businesses were smashed up after October 7th. As far as I'm aware, none of them came out tooled up.

While my own view is that far right types like Tommy Robinson have been allowed to stoke up hate on social media, the mainstream media is also deliberately suppressing the very sectarian flavour - hat tip to MisterBedforshire - of the recent violence. We now have groups of people in the UK who are diametrically opposed in their race/religion and hate the other side.

Pinning the blame squarely on the white working class, when what we are seeing is at least a decade or more of failing multiculturalism, declining living standards, increased competition for social services, etc, is not going to cool things down, particularly in the context of the unprecedented mass migration of the last two or three years.

People are watching videos that don't fit the mainstream media narrative, some of them self-explanatory, others clearly pandering to those with a far right (or far left) worldview, but amplified by the social media algorithm that rewards controversy and polarisation. As long as that situation continues, and as long as successive governments continue to ignore legitimate concerns about migration and ignore the forming of parallel communities where people don't integrate at all, I fear there is more trouble ahead.

The only people pinning the blame for the rioting on the white working class are edgy metropolitan right wing commentators who assume that white working class people are racist, violent, intolerant and thick.

This discussion has been closed.