Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If it’s not hurting then it’s not working – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,501

Slightly connected to the match. Does the Russia bit of Borussia Dortmund have anything to do with Russia

Borussia is Latin for "Prussia" (as in the erstwhile German-speaking kingdom of northern Germany).
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,138

Cicero said:

I'm reassessing my Portillo moment- Gillian Keegan getting booted out in Chichester might be more entertaining than Liz Truss losing.

Nah, I still want to see Truss get ousted.

Rees Mogg is so loathed that his defeat will be greeted with shouts of joy.
    I have a bottle of Chablis on stand-by (couldn't get a decent Sancerre)
    2 lovely wines.
    Indeed. For everyday use I usually stick to Pinot Grigio or a nice Chardonnay but for the demise of a piece of pond slime tory big beast like JRM, I thought that something extra special was needed :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,833
    The latest polls have Labour polling below 1997 levels and not much higher than Corbyn 2017 levels so it is working partly. If Sunak can squeeze RefUK and LD voters in Labour v Tory marginals it might work even more
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,509
    edited June 29
    I have always thought Michael Oliver to be absolutely f*****' useless (two West Brom red cards against against Blackpool in 2010). This game has done nothing to change that view.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,524
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

My gosh UEFA really want Germany in the quarters

You just can’t miss the opportunity for a conspiracy pile-on, can you?
    It’s fun!

Also, not entirely inconceivable, sadly

But putting all that aside the penalty against Denmark was ridiculous whether it was done by the illuminati or a stupid VAR
    To be fair to you, suggesting UEFA is corrupt is not so much a conspiracy theory as a statement of basic and obvious fact.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,703
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

VAR should be a challenge system like in cricket or tennis. End of. Totally ruins the game like this.

But what difference would it make? The only way that doesn't get given is if the Germans don't appeal, which doesn't seem a good way of fixing it.
    No a team has to appeal that they think something has been missed or wrong decision. Limited number of challenges. Germany weren't appealing for a penalty there.
    What would the time limit be? Only needs someone watching on tv to be able to see it pretty quickly.
    Like cricket, the on field captain has to make the challenge and within a short space of time. The players are very aware if they believe real foul play has taken place.

One thing I definitely change is offside, if it is super tight, you stay with on field decision (like cricket). Its nonsense when they are ruling goals offside when a toenail was in front.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

I'm reassessing my Portillo moment- Gillian Keegan getting booted out in Chichester might be more entertaining than Liz Truss losing.

Except his constituents don't seem to loathe him, he can also squeeze Reform more than most Tories and his opposition is divided between Labour and LD
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/06/28/lord-ashcroft-its-a-metaphor-for-the-whole-conservative-government-my-focus-groups-in-newquay-plymouth-and-ne-somerset/
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,507
    edited June 29
    Andy_JS said:

I do hope this Germany Denmark match resolves the Schleswig-Holstein question.

What's the Danish for Götterdämmerung?
    Gudedæmringen.

The Norwegian is Ragnarok
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,429
    biggles said:

VAR should be a challenge system like in cricket or tennis. End of. Totally ruins the game like this.

I have long thought this. Two per coach and you retain your reviews if XYZ just like cricket. Make coaches put their money where their mouth is.

Or even two per on-field captain and give them a role. A captain mouthes off and the ref says “are you reviewing it”?
    biggles said:

I have long thought this. Two per coach and you retain your reviews if XYZ just like cricket. Make coaches put their money where their mouth is.

Or even two per on-field captain and give them a role. A captain mouthes off and the ref says “are you reviewing it”?
    Completely agree. Cricket gets it totally right. Make a limited number of appeals, per match, part of the sport

That actually ADDS to the drama - and the required skill of the captaincy and coach
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,271
    Pulpstar said:

Some comical refereeing going on

Except its not really funny. Biased doesn't come close.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But what difference would it make? The only way that doesn't get given is if the Germans don't appeal, which doesn't seem a good way of fixing it.
    No a team has to appeal that they think something has been missed or wrong decision. Limited number of challenges. Germany weren't appealing for a penalty there.
    What would the time limit be? Only needs someone watching on tv to be able to see it pretty quickly.
    Like cricket, the on field captain has to make the challenge and within a short space of time. The players are very aware if they believe real foul play has taken place.

One thing I definitely change is offside, if it is super tight, you stay with on field decision (like cricket).
    Benefit of the doubt to the attacker on offside as a parallel to benefit of the doubt to the batsman. A “ref’s call” corridor on the VAR screen mirroring umpire’s call. If it’s within that, you go with the initial decision.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,660
    edited June 29

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

One thing I definitely change is offside, if it is super tight, you stay with on field decision (like cricket). Its nonsense when they are ruling goals offside when a toenail was in front.
    15 seconds in cricket, isn't? That's enough time for someone watching on tv, to tell the coach to tell the players.

Also, it's a continuous game. So, you'd have situations where they'd have to check if the appeal was in time as it could be a review for anything.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,417
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Except his constituents don't seem to loathe him, he can also squeeze Reform more than most Tories and his opposition is divided between Labour and LD
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/06/28/lord-ashcroft-its-a-metaphor-for-the-whole-conservative-government-my-focus-groups-in-newquay-plymouth-and-ne-somerset/
    Möggerdämmerung!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/29/i-dont-know-anyone-voting-for-him-is-this-the-end-for-jacob-rees-mogg
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

15 seconds in cricket, isn't? That's enough time for someone watching on tv, to tell the coach to tell the players.
    Easy solution, the coaches get the game feed at the moment live, you delay it 15 seconds. Actually, I don't even know if they get all the camera feeds live / with ability to slow mo / rock n' roll it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,868
    Yay! Forest flag spotted at Glasto!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The latest polls have Labour polling below 1997 levels and not much higher than Corbyn 2017 levels so it is working partly. If Sunak can squeeze RefUK and LD voters in Labour v Tory marginals it might work even more

Can you make it over the line?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Easy solution, the coaches get the game feed at the moment live, you delay it 15 seconds.
    And ban any comms to people watching on tv elsewhere?
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Möggerdämmerung!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/29/i-dont-know-anyone-voting-for-him-is-this-the-end-for-jacob-rees-mogg
    I fear we’d all end up having to see more of him as a commentator on the tv. Any chance we can all ask his constituents to take a hit for us?
  • Options
    Hojlund demonstrating yet again why he had a deeply mixed season for United.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,320
    2-0 to Germany!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,868
    Job done.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,285
    FPT

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

Opinium were almost bang on in 2019 but have changed their methodology since.

I will stick with Labour on about 40%.

Sunak's strategy actually had some sense in it but he simply wasn't able to execute.

It was clearly to wrongfoot and cripple Reform, and then go for Labour on tax. And you can see that playing out in what CCHQ has done.

Almost could have worked. Had he got it right the Tories could have been up at 32-33% and Labour at 37-38% and a hung parliament.
    In the end Rishi just wasn't up to it...
    The thing that has shocked me the most is that the Tory fundraising has been absolutely terrible. They wouldn´t be withdrawing support from held seats, if they had enough money... but they do not. This despite the fact that Sunak must have been thinking about a snap poll for at least a little while. The fact is that the Tories seem to have been just as surprised as any other party by the early poll. Sunak squandered the one clear advantage that he had. If he had held the poll in the autumn, Farage would not even be standing, because he would be over with Trump and MAGAs for their election.
    One of the things I find quite baffling about this General Election is just *why* the Tories were so surprised by the 4th July date. I'm no expert, but even I knew that there was an election coming within the next nine months - in order to meet that eventuality there need to be candidates in place (at the very least) and the local parties on standby. Those in the Party HQs no doubt have other more clever things to do (have a media strategy, be ready to buy advertising space, have fundraising numbers on speed-dial, rent a battlebus etc) but the structure for all that should have been in place. Realistically. there were only a few dates when the election could have been held - there's no excuse for them not being ready. It's bizarre.

I do wonder if the final straw was that the number of No Confidence letters was getting to close to creating a problem..
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Easy solution, the coaches get the game feed at the moment live, you delay it 15 seconds.
    And ban any comms to people watching on tv elsewhere?
    That is already delayed just because of the technology of encoding the streams (and we don't get the multi-camera replays within that time anyway). Somebody watching a stream on their ipad from the side-lines aren't going to see it in 15 seconds.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,645

Yay! Forest flag spotted at Glasto!

Yay, Czech flag 🇨🇿 sighted too
  • Options
    On offsides, once you have automated technology, it becomes just like goal line technology, so you have to accept the tight calls.
  • Options
    Germany doing what Germany so often do in major tournaments.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

On offsides, once you have automated technology, it becomes just like goal line technology, so you have to accept the tight calls.

Hawkeye cricket is more automated than the offside and accurate to a few mm's, but they all agreed that they have the corridor of uncertainty that is larger than the accuracy of the system in which you stick with the umpires decision.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,136

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why is it nonsense? If the ball was completely over the goal line by a toenail you would want the goal awarded, no?
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

I don’t think so. My argument isn’t whether they are technically offside, it is whether they are gaining an unfair advantage (the point of the law). Being offside by the width of a gnat’s chuff clearly doesn’t do that.

See also hand balls. The law I was taught was “deliberate hand ball” and we have forgotten that first word.
  • Options
    Coldplay on at Glasto on BBC1 in 5 minutes.
  • Options

Makes sure all tv's in the house aren't set to BBC1....
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,136
    HYUFD said:

Labour would squeeze LD voters better than the Tories would.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

But a centimeter offside is not really in the spirit of the game. Half a yard fair enough.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Depends on the type of LibDem. Not necessarily the leafy village dwelling, nimby, “I want competence and a quite life” LibDem convert from the Tories in the south.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,258
    ydoethur said:

Wasn't it Bismarck who said, 'There are only three people who have ever understood the Schleswig-Holstein question: the Prince Consort, who is dead; a German professor, who is mad; and I who have forgotten?'
    Arguably Bismarck did understand the Schleswig-Holstein question. He used it as a pretext to invade Austria, resulting in the reunification of Germany.

(It's all a bit complicated).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Hawkeye cricket is more automated than the offside and accurate to a few mm's, but they all agreed that they have the corridor of uncertainty that is larger than the accuracy of the system in which you stick with the umpires decision.
    But that's because it's predicting where the ball will go. This isn't.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,682
    The problem with VAR in football is that it just seems to result in as many arguments as it ought to objectively solve.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,462

Not on the news channel? BBC slipping up.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There is actually inaccurately in the semi-automated offside. It requires human user input to line things up which can introduce a level of error, plus the pose estimation / body models used to fit to the players aren't mm's accurate. Human pose estimation from video is still a very active area of research and nobody claims it is solved to that level of accuracy, definitely not outside of controlled lab conditions.

Also, the prediction from cricket has been extensively tested and shown to be a few mm's. But as I say, they expand the region of "umpires" call far beyond the levels of error in the system i.e. there are deliveries that definitely where hitting the stumps that still get called not-out.
  • Options

The problem with VAR in football is that it just seems to result in as many arguments as it ought to objectively solve.

For every one obviously wrong decision there are 10 or more that are debatable even after seeing a replay. In other sports, you're deciding if the ball hit the bat, or if the ball landed outside the court, or if the receiver caught the ball. That's not the case in football. You're deciding whether it was a foul or if it was deliberate handball.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,370
    eek said:

FPT

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

Sunak's strategy actually had some sense in it but he simply wasn't able to execute.

It was clearly to wrongfoot and cripple Reform, and then go for Labour on tax. And you can see that playing out in what CCHQ has done.

Almost could have worked. Had he got it right the Tories could have been up at 32-33% and Labour at 37-38% and a hung parliament.
    The thing that has shocked me the most is that the Tory fundraising has been absolutely terrible. They wouldn´t be withdrawing support from held seats, if they had enough money... but they do not. This despite the fact that Sunak must have been thinking about a snap poll for at least a little while. The fact is that the Tories seem to have been just as surprised as any other party by the early poll. Sunak squandered the one clear advantage that he had. If he had held the poll in the autumn, Farage would not even be standing, because he would be over with Trump and MAGAs for their election.
    One of the things I find quite baffling about this General Election is just *why* the Tories were so surprised by the 4th July date. I'm no expert, but even I knew that there was an election coming within the next nine months - in order to meet that eventuality there need to be candidates in place (at the very least) and the local parties on standby. Those in the Party HQs no doubt have other more clever things to do (have a media strategy, be ready to buy advertising space, have fundraising numbers on speed-dial, rent a battlebus etc) but the structure for all that should have been in place. Realistically. there were only a few dates when the election could have been held - there's no excuse for them not being ready. It's bizarre.

I do wonder if the final straw was that the number of No Confidence letters was getting to close to creating a problem..
    Surely only Brady Old lady knows the number?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There is actually inaccurately in the semi-automated offside. It requires human user input to line things up which can introduce a level of error, plus the human pose estimation / body models aren't mm's accurate.

Also, the prediction from cricket has been extensively tested and shown to be a few mm's. But as I say, they expand the region of "umpires" call far beyond the levels of error in the system i.e. there are deliveries that definitely where hitting the stumps that still get called not-out.
    I actually think the LBWs that are umpire's call should be not out as the umpire is supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,025
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Depends on the type of LibDem. Not necessarily the leafy village dwelling, nimby, “I want competence and a quite life” LibDem convert from the Tories in the south.
    But the Lib Dems have always been squeezable in that constituency in the past. In 1997, both Wansdyke and Kingwood were Labour, so is there any reason why the same patch can't elect Labour in 2024?

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Labour lead by 21 points in our latest poll for The Mail on Sunday.
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)
    Fieldwork: 27th to 29th June 2024

https://x.com/DeltapollUK/status/1807157114185642148
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Wasn't it Bismarck who said, 'There are only three people who have ever understood the Schleswig-Holstein question: the Prince Consort, who is dead; a German professor, who is mad; and I who have forgotten?'
    Arguably Bismarck did understand the Schleswig-Holstein question. He used it as a pretext to invade Austria, resulting in the reunification of Germany.

Solved in 1920:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_Schleswig_plebiscites
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 693

OMG thanks for the heads-up

I really hate to sound combative, but what is the subtext of this post if it is not I am a complete and utter arse?

Mind you, if I had BBC 1 on I would be grateful for the warning.
  • Options
    edited June 29

I like the idea of VAR. Weren't Reading awarded a goal which hit the side netting once? Now that makes sense to me, but such marginal decisions that take five minutes to adjudicate are nuts. VAR should not be allowed to sap the spirit out of the game. It's there to ensure fair play not micrometer level judgements.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,840
    Foxy said:

eek said:

FPT

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

The Dems over the sea could use his help right now.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There is actually inaccurately in the semi-automated offside. It requires human user input to line things up which can introduce a level of error, plus the human pose estimation / body models aren't mm's accurate.

I actually think the LBWs that are umpire's call should be not out as the umpire is supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman.
    Well the benefit of the doubt was given comes from an age way before the technology. We now know they were giving far too many not outs for lbw. I think the challenge system is a good balance.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well the benefit of the doubt was given comes from an age way before the technology. We now know they were giving far too many not outs for lbw. I think the challenge system is a good balance.
    I don't like the fact that the decision is different for the same scenario depending on what the on-field umpire said. And, of course, that's what causes most of the anger about VAR.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

FPT

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

Old ladies are notoriously leaky
  • Options
    edited June 29

I like the idea of VAR. Weren't Reading awarded a goal which hit the side netting once? Now that makes sense to me, but such marginal decisions that take five minutes to adjudicate are nuts. VAR should not be allowed to sap the spirit out of the game. It's there to ensure fair play not micrometer level judgements.
    What I really don't like is 4th official rewinding the tape often 30s before the goal and then making decisions of potential foul play which are still judgement calls. Let the players challenge system if they think there was a clear and obvious foul that they think the ref missed, but you only get one of those, so you better be certain you are right.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,501
    Foxy said:

eek said:

FPT

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

Is he losing his seat?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

For every one obviously wrong decision there are 10 or more that are debatable even after seeing a replay. In other sports, you're deciding if the ball hit the bat, or if the ball landed outside the court, or if the receiver caught the ball. That's not the case in football. You're deciding whether it was a foul or if it was deliberate handball.
    But that is exactly the problem. It's not really being used to correct clear and obvious errors, but more an extra level of oversight on very tricky and interpretable decisions.

I'm not necessarily saying such oversight shouldn't be considered, but I don't think it's entirely the spirit within which VAR was originally introduced to address.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,441

The ultimate mid.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    kyf_100 said:

The ultimate mid.
    Mid is being too generous. Udio can create better musak.
  • Options

Makes sure all tv's in the house aren't set to BBC1....
    Thank fuck I don't have a TV licence!
  • Options
    edited June 29

tlg86 said:

But that is exactly the problem. It's not really being used to correct clear and obvious errors, but more an extra level of oversight on very tricky and interpretable decisions.

I'm not necessarily saying such oversight shouldn't be considered, but I don't think it's entirely the spirit within which VAR was originally introduced to address.
    Problem is, you have to draw the line somewhere. The ghost goal at Watford (okay, goal line tech solves that)? Henchoz handball on the line in the 2001 Cup Final? Henry handball v ireland? Ramos dislocating Salah's shoulder?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

1% swing from Reform to Tories too
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,557

That's because, unlike cricket or tennis, so many decisions have a degree of subjectivity to them. Even offsides - which are as black and white as could be - there's sometimes questions over whether someone is or isn't interfering with play. Furthermore, the rules as originally devised are designed to be applied with some common sense and interpretation.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,731

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I totally agree with you on making VAR a challenge system to limit VAR's impact. It's also used in American football, by the way.

It would also provide an opportunity to get away with the "clear and obvious error" criteria that causes havoc by creating ambiguity in the rules. Once an incident is challenged, the incident could be looked at afresh by VAR regardless of the onfield decision and the referee would have no say in the final VAR decision.

Just 2 challenges per team per match would suffice. If challenges were used up through ill considered challenges and a team then got a poor decision from the referee, then instead of moaning at the referee they would have to blame themselves for frittering those challenges away. So using challenges wisely would become just part of the skill of playing football. Just as it is in cricket.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,370

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

My brother married a German in German Schleswig. It was a hybrid wedding with some English and some German traditions. One of the British traditions was the Best Man's Speech, which was a concept quite alien to German ears.

It started "Welcome to this beautiful celebration in a delightful part of Germany, formerly part of Denmark..."

The British laughed uproriously, the Germans were stonily silent. The speech went downhill after that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Depends where, in Epping Forest a lot of LDs would vote Tory over Labour on a forced choice
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,725
    Raging against the dying of the light...

George Mann
    @sgfmann
    ·
    25m

The Daily Telegraph: Labour will bankrupt every generation, warns Sunak
    #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,731
    Leon said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

Completely agree. Cricket gets it totally right. Make a limited number of appeals, per match, part of the sport

That actually ADDS to the drama - and the required skill of the captaincy and coach
    Christ. I agree with you on something.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

Looking good HY. Looking good!
  • Options
    edited June 29
    MJW said:

That's because, unlike cricket or tennis, so many decisions have a degree of subjectivity to them. Even offsides - which are as black and white as could be - there's sometimes questions over whether someone is or isn't interfering with play. Furthermore, the rules as originally devised are designed to be applied with some common sense and interpretation.
    I agree, and it's a fair point.

But I would have said the original rationale for the introduction of VAR was very much more along the lines of "it'll solve a lot of this stuff by removing the interpretation element via technology", rather than "it'll act as an extra pair of eyes and increase the consideration of the interpretable events", so in that sense it hasn't really worked as intended.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 94,181
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends where, in Epping Forest a lot of LDs would vote Tory over Labour on a forced choice
    Usually that could be true. We saw in 2015 where a lot of former LD voters went in places like the SW.

Now? With Sir Keir Starmer at the helm of Labour and not Revolution Jezza?
  • Options
    Germany beat Denmark 2-0!
  • Options

George Mann
    @sgfmann
    ·
    25m

#TomorrowsPapersToday

"Let us bankrupt them instead"
  • Options
    edited June 29
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Usually that could be true. We saw in 2015 where a lot of former LD voters went in places like the SW.

Most would still vote Tory as Starmer could come after the equity in their big homes and they also dislike his plans to build on the greenbelt
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,532
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

My brother married a German in German Schleswig. It was a hybrid wedding with some English and some German traditions. One of the British traditions was the Best Man's Speech, which was a concept quite alien to German ears.

It started "Welcome to this beautiful celebration in a delightful part of Germany, formerly part of Denmark..."

The British laughed uproriously, the Germans were stonily silent. The speech went downhill after that.
    Tbf Foxy, you should have steered clear of that topic when you gave the speech.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They would still vote Tory as Starmer could come after the equity in their big homes and they also dislike his plans to build on the greenbelt
    File under "Everyone thinks like me".
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,585
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

HY, having done this in 2019 for team Red when they were in a pickle, getting excited about MOE noise is a path to madness and disappointment.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841

George Mann
    @sgfmann
    ·
    25m

#TomorrowsPapersToday

Lix Truss already did that
  • Options

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

Tbf Foxy, you should have steered clear of that topic when you gave the speech.
    You mentioned it once. And you didn't get away with it...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I totally agree with you on making VAR a challenge system to limit VAR's impact. It's also used in American football, by the way.

It would also provide an opportunity to get away with the "clear and obvious error" criteria that causes havoc by creating ambiguity in the rules. Once an incident is challenged, the incident could be looked at afresh by VAR regardless of the onfield decision and the referee would have no say in the final VAR decision.

Just 2 challenges per team per match would suffice. If challenges were used up through ill considered challenges and a team then got a poor decision from the referee, then instead of moaning at the referee they would have to blame themselves for frittering those challenges away. So using challenges wisely would become just part of the skill of playing football. Just as it is in cricket.
    Worth saying that in the NFL, the on-field decision is the default if it isn't a clear and obvious error. I think it's unlikely that the clear and obvious error aspect of VAR would be done away with if a challenge system came in.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,025
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Most would still vote Tory as Starmer could come after the equity in their big homes and they also dislike his plans to build on the greenbelt
    Aren't the 2010 LDs that became 2015 Tories the 2019 Tories that you're losing to Lib Dems?, the 2010 LDs that stayed LD would be more likely to be squeezed to Labour rather then the Tories now unless you can come up with a reason why they couldn't be squeezed to Tories by Cameron but will be by Sunak.

• Options

Five years of Labour fucking up will be a great recruiting seargeant for the Conservatives.

Again.

Be careful what you wish for.

If Labour do screw up of course your team may not be the net beneficiary. We could all be goose stepping down the High Street to Farage/Trump/ Putin's tune.
    Not "all".
    I don't think in Farage/Trump/Putin's Little England attending Nuremberg style rallies outside Sandwell Civic Hall will be optional.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Right wing traditional media - Express, Mail, Telegraph - surely taking a huge risk of being left behind and seen as irrelevant as they throw everything and the last two kitchen sinks at trying to persuade their readers to stop a Labour government?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,536
    Around now Liz Truss should be writing an article about how she would have won the election.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,250
    Deltapoll Green vote looks more realistic.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

Tories still coming third in seats on that poll according to EC.

Con 55
    Lab 476
    LD 70
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 18
    PC 3
    Others 19
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,462
    I spoke too soon. The BBC news channel DID start showing Coldplay at Glastonbury.

• Options

I spoke too soon. The BBC news channel DID start showing Coldplay at Glastonbury.

I hope it came with a trigger warning.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,853
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

I bet the inflatable Spitfire went down well though?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,585
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

160 years is too soon I guess. Then again people in Newport are still grumpy that Saffron Walden took their market in the 14th century (or possibly earlier) so it barely registers on the petty, irrational grudge scale.
  • Options

Right wing traditional media - Express, Mail, Telegraph - surely taking a huge risk of being left behind and seen as irrelevant as they throw everything and the last two kitchen sinks at trying to persuade their readers to stop a Labour government?

Parties and the media itself seem deeply conflicted on the value of and influence of media.

Parties dismiss it is inconsequential if it says they will lose, they insist they can overcome it. When they don't, the lay at least some blame on a hostile media environment.

Media would claim to just be reporting and providing comment, and dismiss criticism of their political bias influencing things, but still want to act with the importance that endorsements implies they hold.

I'm more in the camp that there is little influence, and media follows rather than sets agendas. But they still have loose ideological thrusts, and abandoning all pretence at that by not making some kind of defence for purported ideological bedfellows, might undermine the seriousness people can ascribe to them, even if their own readerships are not all behind that view.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Around now Liz Truss should be writing an article about how she would have won the election.

Boris has had his written for 2 years.
  • Options

Martin sounding remarkably like Brian Pern in that little two minute chat with the audience.
  • Options
    https://x.com/daisychristo/status/1807155999217950822

Daisy Christodoulou @daisychristo
    I guess it is appropriate that the ultimate shark-jumping VAR moment came in the Schleswig-Holstein match.

VAR is so complicated, only three people have ever understood it. One is dead, the second's gone mad and the third has forgotten all about it.
  • Options
    edited June 29

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

Con 55
    Lab 476
    LD 70
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 18
    PC 3
    Others 19
    On UNS some seats the Tories would hold on that poll EC have going Labour or LD.

They better hope the tactical voting they have in their model pans out to the level they predict on Thursday
  • Options
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

Boris has had his written for 2 years.
    Surely he's written 2?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@DeltapollUK

🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 21% (+1)
    Lab 42% (-)
    Lib Dem 11% (-)
    Reform 16% (-1)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 4% (-)
    Other 3%(+1)

Con 55
    Lab 476
    LD 70
    Ref 6
    Green 3
    SNP 18
    PC 3
    Others 19
    On UNS some seats the Tories would hold on that poll EC have going Labour or LD.

They better hope the tactical voting they have in their model pans out to the level they predict on Thursday
    Or rather, the Tories better hope it doesn't.
  • Options
    DeclanFDeclanF Posts: 20

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They would still vote Tory as Starmer could come after the equity in their big homes and they also dislike his plans to build on the greenbelt
    As exhibited by this forum.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If only they did. Clearly I am always right, so the world would be a better, though much wordier, place.
  • Options

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920:

I bet the inflatable Spitfire went down well though?
    I am just blown away by this anecdote. It's on a par with How glad we are that when the bride dismounted from the cattle truck, the groom directed her recht und nicht links

#unmusikalisch
This discussion has been closed.