Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Oh for Fox’s sake – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,949
    edited June 28
    darkage said:

What is clear to me is that […]. Starmers appeal is an ocean wide and as deep as a puddle. I think there will be a rapid breakthrough on the far right, likely not through the reform party, but it will come in the next few years.

Really you are conflating a whole variety of circumstances, nuances, geopolitics, parties and allegiances into your own predetermined political belief.

Instead of the obvious: the President has dementia.

p.s. and the terrible mistake of thinking the US and the UK are politically the same, let alone similar
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,893
    Heathener said:

johnt said:

pigeon said:

johnt said:

Reflecting on the state of the Tory party it would perhaps be best for the country if they were not the official opposition. They will be too busy fighting each other to provide much challenge and resistance to problems created by a massive Labour majority.

Frankly, any likely scenario in which the Tories are ground down into third spot also implies a Liberal Democrat group so small that it won't be able to function fully as a Commons Opposition in the conventional sense. Procedural changes with respect to issues such as the composition of select committees would likely be needed, and a lot of shadow ministerial positions would need to be filled from the Lords.

Still, this is what you get from a perverse electoral system which could quite plausibly deliver the biggest Labour majority in history with a vote smaller, in both absolute numbers and share, than that received by Jeremy Corbyn when he lost in 2017.
    I have never been a fan of FPTP, it is a stupid system and needs to go. But actually I don’t agree that Davey and the Lib Dem’s would not be an effective opposition. They have constantly demonstrated an ability to be effective campaigners with limited resources. I think they would certainly pick their fights. But I think we would see less confrontational but more effective national governance. Still I expect the Tories to hang on to enough seats to hang on to the role. That will lead to 5 years of chaos as the Tories fight each other while trying to act as an effective opposition. I suspect they will do neither thing very well.
    It’s not a stupid system. It does what it aims to do very well.

PR supporters (generalising) that that parliament should represent the political composition of the voters on a national basis.

FPTP supporters think that local communities should elect a representative to stick up for their area

It’s logical to have FPTP for a constituency based approach

To which I will add that

FPTP does tend to produce a decisive, and usually stable, Government. Coalitions have a pretty chequered history around the world.

FPTP also means that minority parties are not disproportionately powerful, especially in coalition through the tail wagging the dog. Personally I think that’s a price worth paying for keeping extremism at bay, although I’m open to being persuaded on this topic.
    Of the last 4 elections, half produced hung Parliaments.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,803
    Buttigeig has his fans here. But he is 200 for the Democratic nomination and 1000 to be next President.

Biden's nominee price has hardened a bit. 1.81-1.82.
  • Options

Heathener said:

johnt said:

pigeon said:

johnt said:

Reflecting on the state of the Tory party it would perhaps be best for the country if they were not the official opposition. They will be too busy fighting each other to provide much challenge and resistance to problems created by a massive Labour majority.

Frankly, any likely scenario in which the Tories are ground down into third spot also implies a Liberal Democrat group so small that it won't be able to function fully as a Commons Opposition in the conventional sense. Procedural changes with respect to issues such as the composition of select committees would likely be needed, and a lot of shadow ministerial positions would need to be filled from the Lords.

Still, this is what you get from a perverse electoral system which could quite plausibly deliver the biggest Labour majority in history with a vote smaller, in both absolute numbers and share, than that received by Jeremy Corbyn when he lost in 2017.
    I have never been a fan of FPTP, it is a stupid system and needs to go. But actually I don’t agree that Davey and the Lib Dem’s would not be an effective opposition. They have constantly demonstrated an ability to be effective campaigners with limited resources. I think they would certainly pick their fights. But I think we would see less confrontational but more effective national governance. Still I expect the Tories to hang on to enough seats to hang on to the role. That will lead to 5 years of chaos as the Tories fight each other while trying to act as an effective opposition. I suspect they will do neither thing very well.

PR supporters (generalising) that that parliament should represent the political composition of the voters on a national basis.

FPTP supporters think that local communities should elect a representative to stick up for their area

To which I will add that

FPTP does tend to produce a decisive, and usually stable, Government. Coalitions have a pretty chequered history around the world.

FPTP also means that minority parties are not disproportionately powerful, especially in coalition through the tail wagging the dog. Personally I think that’s a price worth paying for keeping extremism at bay, although I’m open to being persuaded on this topic.
    Well this one won’t ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,250
    DougSeal said:

On topic. We have to see if there is a vacancy. If Sunak wins a 1992 style comeback there will be no vacancy and your money will be tied up a very long time.

Even in the event as unlikely as winning a Tory majority, Sunak is toast.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,046
    Quite some news this morning then. Blows our silly little election out of the way. I need to walk the dogs.

Time for a think.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,565
    stjohn said:

Latest POTUS Democratic nominee betting

Biden 1.64-1.65
    Newsom 5.8-5.9
    M Obama 16.5-19
    H Clinton 18.5-29
    Harris 16.5-19
    Whitmer 32-80

Interesting how Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris prices, including the spread on the prices, are currently identical. If Biden is persuaded to step aside will the Dems quickly crown one of the above in a backroom deal?

It says something when the top five in the betting are all unelectable.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,832

Heathener said:

johnt said:

pigeon said:

johnt said:

To which I will add that

Which was the choice of the voters in their constituencies.

If this election results in a landslide, then again each constituency has made its own, democratic choice.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,151
    If uk politics tells us anything it is that you have to be very careful substituting a flawed election winner for an untested younger fresh replacement. The Dems do not want to land themselves with a Truss or a Sunak.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,942

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DID WE TELL YOU: BIDEN IS SENILE, THIS IS A DISASTER

And umpteen idiots on here waved it away - “no no, he’s fine, it’s normal, you’re just spouting Trumpite talking points”

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Every so often, you are right and the very clever people on here are wrong. The cherry on the cake will be Michelle Obama reluctantly accepting the nomination. She’s their only chance now.
    Is she?

I know they would have to move fast but why is she their only chance? There are other capable Democrats, even if it’s somewhat short notice.

I mean, if it was the UK Conservative Party they would have time for 3 Presidents before the vote.
    There are definitely other people who would be better candidates (Whitmer, Buttigeig, KLOBUCHAR). But there's an argument (not saying I buy it) for Michelle Obama based on how you get there.

The next-in-line is Kamala Harris, who is a black woman with a small but fairly demented fanbase who polls badly in the swing states. If you want to pass over her then the way to minimize the resulting fireworks is to select another black woman, and one with a decent amount of experience and/or star power. That gets you down to Oprah Winfrey or Michelle Obama.
    Wow. Well, I’ve seen people on here mocking those who would place bets on Michelle Obama for the Presidency. Perhaps it’s not looking quite so outlandish now but an awful lot of things have to fall into place for that outcome. Starting perhaps with Jill Biden?
    Yes, I definitely mocked it and I still think the odds are wrong but maybe I know nothing.

Getting Michelle Obama the nomination requires exactly the right amount of panic. If the polling shows no damage and Biden carries on, no Michelle. If Biden quits right away then it's Kamala, no Michelle. If the whole party goes into proper "shit shit shit we are so fucked" mode then everyone forgets about Kamala's feelings and picks the most electable person they can find, Buttigeig or Whitmer, I guess? So the dart has to fall in a very narrow place, and then she still has to say yes.

So I don't think it makes sense unless someone has inside information that this is actually a plan someone important is actually cooking up.
    Unlikely to be any plan that anyone is 'cooking up'. Either someone steps up who can unite the party behind them, or not.
    There isn't some magical hand behind the curtain who gets to fix it. That's seems to have been a commonly held delusion for a long time.

It's the same thing as everyone that's been saying 'the Democrats need to replace Biden'.
    There's never been a single entity 'the Democrats' that can just step up and do that.

The difference now is that the shock of last night will unite a lot of disparate factions - including probably a fair chunk of those who previously wanted Biden to run again.
    But without Biden himself deciding to stand aside, how he gets replaced is very uncertain.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,861

Leon said:

Leon said:

And umpteen idiots on here waved it away - “no no, he’s fine, it’s normal, you’re just spouting Trumpite talking points”

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Didn't he lock himself for a week at Camp David to prep for this debate and be well rested?
    Just last week some twit on here tried to claim that Biden wandering into the distance at the G7 was a “trumpite lie” I was repeating - why? - and that Biden was just “trying to talk to different people”

It is insane what people will consciously disbelieve because the truth makes them uncomfortable
    See also lab leak. 'PB Morale' comes ahead of people actually using their brain on here. The sheer amount of people who've sworn blind to me that Trump is more senile than Biden.
    Trump is absolutely worse than Biden.

I'd take a full blown senile Biden (rather than a doddering old man Biden which is what he actually is) over Trump in any health, any day.

The problem is the American electorate may not.
    Trump looked composed and he even got in some retorts. However on the whole he spewed out nonsensical garbage.

That said, Biden needs to stand aside for the future of the free world.
    Trump spouting garbage says nothing about his health. He's always done that.
    It was one of his better performances tbh
  • Options

stjohn said:

Biden 1.64-1.65
    Newsom 5.8-5.9
    M Obama 16.5-19
    H Clinton 18.5-29
    Harris 16.5-19
    Whitmer 32-80

Interesting how Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris prices, including the spread on the prices, are currently identical. If Biden is persuaded to step aside will the Dems quickly crown one of the above in a backroom deal?

Top four surely?

The fifth is the next in line and entirely electable. She should be second favourite.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

johnt said:

pigeon said:

johnt said:

To which I will add that

We haven't seen stable governments since 2015.
    Well this one will. And the one after. 10 years of Labour majority Government at a minimum.

We did our ‘right-wing’ bit ( @darkage ) back in 2016 and affirmed in 2019. Got it out of our system, realised it’s not the answer, and are now returning to a sensible centrist and stable Government.

Britain leading the way for the western world. Maybe Brexit did have its good side.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Oh dear, just woke up and seen the BBC headline on the debate.

If Biden loses to Trump, this is absolutely awful, for the USA and the world.

Not good. Not good at all.

VVP will be happy.
    Hi, who or what is WP? Or is that VVP?
    Vladimir Putin
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,907

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Didn't he lock himself for a week at Camp David to prep for this debate and be well rested?
    Just last week some twit on here tried to claim that Biden wandering into the distance at the G7 was a “trumpite lie” I was repeating - why? - and that Biden was just “trying to talk to different people”

It is insane what people will consciously disbelieve because the truth makes them uncomfortable
    See also lab leak. 'PB Morale' comes ahead of people actually using their brain on here. The sheer amount of people who've sworn blind to me that Trump is more senile than Biden.
    As for 'using your brain' - have you read the Dutch report into MH17 yet? I'm sure you thoroughly used your brain when you shilled for Putin...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,036
    edited June 28
    You know when people write up that phrase after debates saying there were no “knockout moments”?

That right there was a knockout moment.

I’m sorry to say. Because I don’t want a Trump presidency. I also think Biden has done a generally good job.

The only saving grace is it happened pre-convention. That gives an exit ramp, if they can navigate Biden towards it. But it will be messy and chaotic.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,247
    All of us that have been saying “Biden is senile, this will be calamitous” really need an apology from all of you that were saying “no he’s not, it’s normal, he’s fine, he’s got a stammer, he’s always been like this, you’re working for Trump”

Coz there were a lot on both sides and I’m not sure PB can continue until we have this reckoning. We need some sort of Archbishop Desmond Tutu figure to run the PB Truth and Reconciliation Coz Biden Is Gaga Commission

Later on I’m gonna dig out some of the wackier “oh it’s just a stammer” nonsense for the lolz
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Buttigeig has his fans here. But he is 200 for the Democratic nomination and 1000 to be next President.

He's pretty unlikely to get the nomination this time around.
    I mentioned him earlier purely in contrast to Biden's display last night. His ease at dealing with hostile Congressional questioning was pretty remarkable.

In the unlikely event of his debating Trump, he'd take him apart.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,134

Quite some news this morning then. Blows our silly little election out of the way. I need to walk the dogs.

Time for a think.

Indeed, not the radio reports I wanted to wake up to. This and the developing electoral chaos in France.

Until this debate I’d thought Biden’s cognitive decline was exaggerated but it seems to be there for all to see. The Dems need something akin to the letters to Graham Brady.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,151
    If they switch, the dems need a street fighter who has actually won tight elections. An untested celebrity is a risk and a retread is only going to end one way.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    So Starmer is now rowing back on recognising a Palestinian state.

Cannot be a shock this. His conversion to the Palestinian cause always appeared to be more for electoral advantage where they are struggling

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/starmer-set-to-delay-recognising-a-palestinian-state-if-pm/ar-BB1p1DGj?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=27b894e0485746c6b4d4b2e4f6a39b8e&ei=16

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,134
    Nigelb said:

stjohn said:

I mentioned him earlier purely in contrast to Biden's display last night. His ease at dealing with hostile Congressional questioning was pretty remarkable.

I think Buttegieg is brilliant. It’s true though that there’s no route for him to the nomination. It needs to be Michelle.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,357

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

I'd take a full blown senile Biden (rather than a doddering old man Biden which is what he actually is) over Trump in any health, any day.

Um, your words are in print here, we can all see that I wrote 'more senile than', not 'worse' which is an entirely different concept. Are you sill saying that Trump is more senile than Biden?
    Biden probably isn't senile. He does appear old, fragile and forgetful. Trump speaks in gibberish, which would suggest a level of age related mental impairment, but as Barty suggests Trump has always talked unmitigated bollocks.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,570
    Nigelb said:

stjohn said:

My favourite possible future nominee by far. It is a huge shame he wasn't considerd last time and certainly he would doa better job of beating rump tis time than Biden will.

I said on here months ago that Biden would hand the Whitehouse to Trump and way too many otherwise sensible posters thought I was overreacting. I am now certain that if Biden is the nominee in November then Trump will be back in the Whitehouse in January.
  • Options
    Taz said:

So Starmer is now rowing back on recognising a Palestinian state.

Cannot be a shock this. His conversion to the Palestinian cause always appeared to be more for electoral advantage where they are struggling

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/starmer-set-to-delay-recognising-a-palestinian-state-if-pm/ar-BB1p1DGj?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=27b894e0485746c6b4d4b2e4f6a39b8e&ei=16

Surely his "conversion to the Palestinian cause" was pandering to where he was strong?

Losing a few antisemites to the Greens won't lose him the election. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,941
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

What is clear to me is that […]. Starmers appeal is an ocean wide and as deep as a puddle. I think there will be a rapid breakthrough on the far right, likely not through the reform party, but it will come in the next few years.

Really you are conflating a whole variety of circumstances, nuances, geopolitics, parties and allegiances into your own predetermined political belief.

I think that we all do that. But it is a strong instinct that I have. It isn't that I believe in the far right. I am concerned about the failure of the political centre and its capture by the radical left in many areas (economics, culture, security, immigration controls etc), so much so it cannot adapt to a changing world.

There is a possibility that Starmer understands this and it is factored in to his thinking, but this is almost certainly not true of the labour party (and its MP's) more broadly.
  • Options
    All you need to know about focus groups.

(FINAL CNN FOCUS GROUP POLL)

Note: Poll was taken of 15 undecided voters in a battleground-state county Trump won in 2020.

🟦 BIDEN WON: 7
    🟥 TRUMP WON: 7
    🟨 UNDECIDED: 1

https://x.com/SethAbramson/status/1806548394673836122
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,381

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

As for 'using your brain' - have you read the Dutch report into MH17 yet? I'm sure you thoroughly used your brain when you shilled for Putin...
    Exhibit A.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,297
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

p.s. and the terrible mistake of thinking the US and the UK are politically the same, let alone similar
    Against that, uncontrolled immigration is the great challenge that the west faces whether it is Mexico, the Med or the Channel.

No government has come up with a workable answer

The “right” answer is civil and economic development in Africa and other emerging countries to reduce the push factor. But that will take decades/generations and so is t a solution.

I don’t know what is. But what we have at the moment isn’t working
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,132
    edited June 28
    Neat summary of all the constituency prediction polls:

https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,182
    edited June 28
    The democrats need another candidate. One who could out-bluster Trump.

Boris! the man. Boris! The legend. Boris! Available and eligible.

Get it done. Shagger vs Shagger - the contest to end all contests.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,250
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

stjohn said:

I think Buttegieg is brilliant. It’s true though that there’s no route for him to the nomination. It needs to be Michelle.
    I have laid Biden all along. He was obviously too old and frail, just surprised that it took so long for the penny to drop with the Democrats. It's too late to re-run primaries so the only real option is Kamala, imperfect as she is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

All of us that have been saying “Biden is senile, this will be calamitous” really need an apology from all of you that were saying “no he’s not, it’s normal, he’s fine, he’s got a stammer, he’s always been like this, you’re working for Trump”

Coz there were a lot on both sides and I’m not sure PB can continue until we have this reckoning. We need some sort of Archbishop Desmond Tutu figure to run the PB Truth and Reconciliation Coz Biden Is Gaga Commission

Later on I’m gonna dig out some of the wackier “oh it’s just a stammer” nonsense for the lolz

I don't know if he's technically 'senile' or not - that really requires a medical diagnosis, not randos on the Internet proclaiming it. Ditto Trump. Lots of what is shown on t'Internet is either out of context, or may just be non-senile artifacts of old age.

But... it's been clear for a couple of years (*) that Biden isn't up to the job. His initial selection for 2020 was poor, but at least he just managed to keep Trump out of the WH. Health issues or not, it was highly stupid for the Dems to let him get this far through the process; and highly stupid and dangerous for him (though understandable) not to decide not to stand a couple of years ago, and have a sensible handover to a new nominee.

(*) And I believe I've said so.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,270

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 46
    Jonathan said:

If they switch, the dems need a street fighter who has actually won tight elections. An untested celebrity is a risk and a retread is only going to end one way.

Gretchen Witmer. She ticks every box. Not saying you should put money on her (the Democrats are dumb enough to go with Newsome) but she would beat Trump in every way.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,565

stjohn said:

Biden 1.64-1.65
    Newsom 5.8-5.9
    M Obama 16.5-19
    H Clinton 18.5-29
    Harris 16.5-19
    Whitmer 32-80

Top four surely?

The fifth is the next in line and entirely electable. She should be second favourite.
    Next in line but seemingly too unpopular (I'm not sure why) to be electable.

If Harris had been popular she would have been much more prominent and Biden would have been under far more pressure to make way.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,036
    Leon said:

Well, when you (generally the Democratic establishment and a lot of the friendly media) attempt to gaslight the public and try and tell them something different to what their eyes and ears are telling them, then there’s always a risk there’ll be an Emperors New Clothes moment.

It’s been clear for some time Biden is, if not senile, in significant decline. The question was whether Democrats could keep that successfully out of the campaign or not. They’ve failed, badly.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,465
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Every so often, you are right and the very clever people on here are wrong. The cherry on the cake will be Michelle Obama reluctantly accepting the nomination. She’s their only chance now.
    Is she?

I know they would have to move fast but why is she their only chance? There are other capable Democrats, even if it’s somewhat short notice.

I mean, if it was the UK Conservative Party they would have time for 3 Presidents before the vote.
    There are definitely other people who would be better candidates (Whitmer, Buttigeig, KLOBUCHAR). But there's an argument (not saying I buy it) for Michelle Obama based on how you get there.

The next-in-line is Kamala Harris, who is a black woman with a small but fairly demented fanbase who polls badly in the swing states. If you want to pass over her then the way to minimize the resulting fireworks is to select another black woman, and one with a decent amount of experience and/or star power. That gets you down to Oprah Winfrey or Michelle Obama.
    Wow. Well, I’ve seen people on here mocking those who would place bets on Michelle Obama for the Presidency. Perhaps it’s not looking quite so outlandish now but an awful lot of things have to fall into place for that outcome. Starting perhaps with Jill Biden?
    Yes, I definitely mocked it and I still think the odds are wrong but maybe I know nothing.

Getting Michelle Obama the nomination requires exactly the right amount of panic. If the polling shows no damage and Biden carries on, no Michelle. If Biden quits right away then it's Kamala, no Michelle. If the whole party goes into proper "shit shit shit we are so fucked" mode then everyone forgets about Kamala's feelings and picks the most electable person they can find, Buttigeig or Whitmer, I guess? So the dart has to fall in a very narrow place, and then she still has to say yes.

So I don't think it makes sense unless someone has inside information that this is actually a plan someone important is actually cooking up.
    Unlikely to be any plan that anyone is 'cooking up'. Either someone steps up who can unite the party behind them, or not.
    There isn't some magical hand behind the curtain who gets to fix it. That's seems to have been a commonly held delusion for a long time.

It's the same thing as everyone that's been saying 'the Democrats need to replace Biden'.
    There's never been a single entity 'the Democrats' that can just step up and do that.

The difference now is that the shock of last night will unite a lot of disparate factions - including probably a fair chunk of those who previously wanted Biden to run again.
    But without Biden himself deciding to stand aside, how he gets replaced is very uncertain.
    As an aside, what do people who think that political parties have too much power (in the UK) think of the situation in the US where parties have far less power? Much as political parties can be really shit, maybe reasonably strong political parties are better than the alternative?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,332
    edited June 28
    Surely Con will do what they did after 1997? Rishi will remain Con leader and LOTO (assuming Con are the official Opposition on 5th July) while a leadership election takes place through the rest if the Summer and the new leader will be announced in September?

It only gets complicated if Rishi loses his seat?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Exhibit A.
    Yes, you are a perfect exhibit of a Putinist shill.

298 people died on MH17.
  • Options
    MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 46
    Has anyone considered, whilst piling on about how the Democrats shouldn't have nominated Biden, that this debate was actually their exit strategy?

Like, I'm not saying they wanted this to happen. I'm sure they wanted to wake up today and everyone be singing the praises of Comeback Joe. But they chose to have this debate before the convention. And as someone who's always been resentful of Biden running again (he has a 34% chance of dying before the end of the next term, according to SSA stats) I was really glad they did this. Biden needed to prove he's still up to the job, and this was the quickest, easiest way of proving either way or another.

Now, with little effort, they can get him to step aside and move on and destroy Trump.

That's assuming they can get him to step aside.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,570

Heathener said:

darkage said:

Against that, uncontrolled immigration is the great challenge that the west faces whether it is Mexico, the Med or the Channel.

The “right” answer is civil and economic development in Africa and other emerging countries to reduce the push factor. But that will take decades/generations and so is t a solution.

The problem is that right now we are still going in the other direction. The big powers - US, Russia, China and Europe (I don't say the EU because I include the UK in this) are still pushing deals for trade and access to resources with Third World Countries that are not to their advantage and which drive poverty, instability and migration. Whether this is cash crops, fishing rights or mining concessions, we are doing nothing to change the situation in places like Africa and so are perpetuating and increasing those push factors.

We need an entirely new First World mindset when it comes to dealing with emerging economies.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,582
    Biden is probably fine at day to day presidential stuff, and bills and reading etc, and can think things through but isn't agile enough in debates anymore.

I imagine he'll do more rehearsed ads after this, that can be pre-recorded.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,465

Leon said:

I don't know if he's technically 'senile' or not - that really requires a medical diagnosis, not randos on the Internet proclaiming it. Ditto Trump. Lots of what is shown on t'Internet is either out of context, or may just be non-senile artifacts of old age.

But... it's been clear for a couple of years (*) that Biden isn't up to the job. His initial selection for 2020 was poor, but at least he just managed to keep Trump out of the WH. Health issues or not, it was highly stupid for the Dems to let him get this far through the process; and highly stupid and dangerous for him (though understandable) not to decide not to stand a couple of years ago, and have a sensible handover to a new nominee.

(*) And I believe I've said so.
    Yes, he was a bad candidate in 2020 - most of the Dems only united around him because they were scared that if they didn't that Sanders would be the nominee.

Here's Biden campaigning for the Dem nomination in 2020 promising to be a "bridge" to Harris, Booker, or Whitmer:

“Look, I view myself as a bridge, not as anything else,” Biden said. “There’s an entire generation of leaders you saw stand behind me. They are the future of this country.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/politics/joe-biden-bridge-new-generation-of-leaders/index.html

Time for him to fulfil that promise. Actually a few months overdue.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,247
    TimS said:

Time for a think.

Indeed, not the radio reports I wanted to wake up to. This and the developing electoral chaos in France.

Until this debate I’d thought Biden’s cognitive decline was exaggerated but it seems to be there for all to see. The Dems need something akin to the letters to Graham Brady.
    Why don’t you ask yourself why you willingly disbelieve what is screamingly obvious?

We saw the same with Lab Leak. It is quite bizarre how educated people can suspend all intellectual faculties to avoid being distressed or discomfited
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Time for a think.

Why don’t you ask yourself why you willingly disbelieve what is screamingly obvious?

We saw the same with Lab Leak. It is quite bizarre how educated people can suspend all intellectual faculties to avoid being distressed or discomfited
    Except lab leak has not been 'proved'. It is an hypothesis. It is quite bizarre how educated but low-IQ people can zone in on one possible scenario just so they can screech: "I was right!!!!" It's almost as though they like the drama...
  • Options

Heathener said:

darkage said:

The problem is that right now we are still going in the other direction. The big powers - US, Russia, China and Europe (I don't say the EU because I include the UK in this) are still pushing deals for trade and access to resources with Third World Countries that are not to their advantage and which drive poverty, instability and migration. Whether this is cash crops, fishing rights or mining concessions, we are doing nothing to change the situation in places like Africa and so are perpetuating and increasing those push factors.

We need an entirely new First World mindset when it comes to dealing with emerging economies.
    I'm thoroughly in favour of the foreign aid budget, which to some degree helps what you say.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,383

Neat summary of all the constituency prediction polls:

https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/

Thanks Carlotta. Very useful.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,924
    Well... I'm glad I've laid trump rather than backing biden (although I'm also a bit more nervous about that than I was).

I do also have some nice dem nominee/president positions, mostly traded out but with a bit of upside if the Dems do panic.

Trump is my only real loser here and if he wins I'll have bigger concerns than a bit of lost money.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 882
    See Democrats are openly talking of getting Biden to stand down and then an Open Convention.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,814

DD would be a very good temporary leader. The issue is That he is unlikely to hold his seat.

I can't take seriously someone who called a vanity by election in a safe seat he couldn't lose to prove a relatively spurious point.
    Well for a start it wasn't a spurious point at all. Some of us actually take civil rights seriously. Just a shame you are apparently not one of them.
    Civil rights are nonesense. Why should any decent person object to the government arbitrarily detaining people or exporting them to random countries?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,823
    GIN1138 said:

Surely Con will do what they did after 1997? Rishi will remain Con leader and LOTO (assuming Con are the official Opposition on 5th July) while a leadership election takes place through the rest if the Summer and the new leader will be announced in September?

That's what everyone thought about Cameron after his promise to stay on after the Brexit Referendum.

But he ran away with the Raggle Taggle Gypsy Caravan Oh !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,640
    MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

That's what everyone thought about Cameron after his promise to stay on after the Brexit Referendum.

Cameron was still PM not LOTO as Sunak would be then
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,823
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

Cameron was still PM not LOTO as Sunak would be then
    That's true, but I'm not sure he'd stay.

We may have the opportunity to find out !
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,381

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Exhibit A.
    Yes, you are a perfect exhibit of a Putinist shill.

298 people died on MH17.
    Exhibit B.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,591

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well. Here we are. Bravo

Um, your words are in print here, we can all see that I wrote 'more senile than', not 'worse' which is an entirely different concept. Are you sill saying that Trump is more senile than Biden?
    Unless Biden has been babbling incoherently about electric boats and sharks, yes.