Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

8 days to go and Ipsos brings no good news for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,064

We think analysis of its MRP https://wethink.report/news-hub/news/we-think-mrp-historical-low-for-the-conservatives/

The Tory collapse in their rural heartlands

At the 2019 election, the Conservatives were completely dominant in three of these five constituency groups – ‘The Shires’, ‘Comfortable and Commuting’ and ‘Marginal and Mixed’, giving them a clear majority across England and Wales.

Yet, our projections for 2024 show that the Tories are collapsing in their own rural and small town heartlands. In ‘The Shires’, where in 2019 the party held 114 of 116 seats, we estimate in Tory-held seats an average Tory to Labour swing of +21, leaving the party holding on to just 25 seats.

These seats are typically middle class, overwhelmingly white with older populations and many homeowners. Many are places where the Conservatives have long held power, even throughout the Blair years when Labour extended their reach into the constituencies of Middle England.

In Hexham, Northumberland, Labour are likely to win for the first time, after 100 years of Conservative dominance. In South West Norfolk, Labour are predicted to unseat former Prime Minister, Liz Truss, overturning a majority of over 26,000.

Some of the most remarkable stories on election night could come from Thirsk and Malton, Grantham and Bourne, Bexhill and Battle and Skipton and Ripon. The list could go on.

"The birthplace of Margaret Thatcher now has a Labour MP..."

Lady Thatcher on maximum rotisserie setting.
    Rotisserie? Is she roasting in hell?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,989
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

mickydroy said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder what first attracted this chap to Nigel Farage?

Reform candidate Leslie Lilley said he would ‘slaughter migrants’

The 70-year-old conspiracy theorist who is likely to reap 20 per cent of the vote in Southend East & Rochford is Facebook friends with the fascist leader Gary Raikes

A Reform candidate said he would “slaughter” migrants arriving on small boats and “have their family taken out”.

Leslie Lilley, who is set to win almost 20 per cent of the vote in the Labour battleground seat of Southend East & Rochford, made the threats on the official Facebook account he uses to run his local campaign.

In a post in June 2020, Lilley reacted to the news of a small boat arriving in Dover saying: “I hope I’m near one of these scumbags one day I won’t run away I’ll slaughter them then have their family taken out.”

The same month, Lilley, now 70, railed against “more scum entering the UK”, adding “I hope your family get Robbed, Beaten or attacked”.

He also suggested Border Force vessels should have razor wire to tear small boats carrying migrants across the Channel, and commented “gas” along with several laughing emojis under a video of Muslims praying.

Lilley, who has also argued that the pandemic was a plan to “depopulate the world” and was “mass murder by government”, is one of the 41 Reform UK candidates who are “friends” on Facebook with Gary Raikes, the fascist leader.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/reform-candidate-leslie-lilley-said-he-would-slaughter-migrants-d7rl2dgt6

They did no vetting at all, did they?

I seriously think I’m going to set up a UK political vetting company.
    I am really worried about this Country, worried about the amount of people who are willing to vote for Farage's bunch of crackpots and racists, even after hearing views like this, and particularly worried about 2029, when Farage and his like could be very near the levers of power, I really hope the Tory party gets it act in gear, and as Big G said, become a one nation conservative party again, but I fear the worst
    The only way that the like of Farage (and a whole lot worse) get defeated, is for the more mainsteam parties to actually listen to what their supporters are saying, and materially make their life better. Many of those voting for Farage feel they have no mainstream voice supporting them.

I’m reminded of the famous Michael Moore video from 2016, where he explains to a coastal liberal audience why people in ‘left-behind’ communities are voting for Trump in huge numbers. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMm5HfxNXY4
    This is so so so important to stress.

I read some posts on here with slight bemusement. It is as if Brexit never happened, as if those voters went away somewhere or their sense of frustration and disillusionment was magically fixed by the Tories setting themselves up for defeat.

This isn’t going away. And I will continue to bang the drum on here and elsewhere. I don’t want a populist right government. I want sensible, competent government that listens to its people, is willing to have the difficult conversations around things the establishment classes would rather we didn’t talk about, and embraces the need for (small r) reform of the way our society works.

If these voters and communities continue to be ignored then we will get chancers like Farage in power within about a decade.
    People interpret that instruction to listen to left behind communities and make their lives better in two different ways, and I think there's an important distinction to make.

Making their lives better: yes, absolutely, and because neither the populist right nor the traditional free market liberals and their left of centre counterparts have known how to do that, the despondency has remained.

Echoing their rhetoric with more rhetoric or with policies that might superficially appeal to them but are economically damaging to their interests: no, that's exactly what the Tories have done and it makes things worse.
    Yes - the way the Tories go about it is to spout culture war rhetoric and hope that it gets people on side, without actually changing things. That is not the solution.

Neither is inviting snake oil salesmen into government who promise the moon on a stick but cannot deliver.

But the country is crying out for someone who listens, who speaks the language of left behind communities. Who can explain challenges, sell solutions (which will not please everyone) and can restructure our economy and our institutions. I don’t think that person is SKS. Whether someone in the Labour Party may be able to seize that mantle, it is difficult to say. It is hard to look at the Tory Party and see any solutions there.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780

We think analysis of its MRP https://wethink.report/news-hub/news/we-think-mrp-historical-low-for-the-conservatives/

At the 2019 election, the Conservatives were completely dominant in three of these five constituency groups – ‘The Shires’, ‘Comfortable and Commuting’ and ‘Marginal and Mixed’, giving them a clear majority across England and Wales.

Yet, our projections for 2024 show that the Tories are collapsing in their own rural and small town heartlands. In ‘The Shires’, where in 2019 the party held 114 of 116 seats, we estimate in Tory-held seats an average Tory to Labour swing of +21, leaving the party holding on to just 25 seats.

These seats are typically middle class, overwhelmingly white with older populations and many homeowners. Many are places where the Conservatives have long held power, even throughout the Blair years when Labour extended their reach into the constituencies of Middle England.

In Hexham, Northumberland, Labour are likely to win for the first time, after 100 years of Conservative dominance. In South West Norfolk, Labour are predicted to unseat former Prime Minister, Liz Truss, overturning a majority of over 26,000.

Some of the most remarkable stories on election night could come from Thirsk and Malton, Grantham and Bourne, Bexhill and Battle and Skipton and Ripon. The list could go on.

Rotisserie? Is she roasting in hell?
    Would be the assumption of the journo making the comment!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,587
    eek said:

The express (lol) say Yvette is in panic mode in Castleford

She might become Home Secretary?
    In a seat that the Tories didn't win in 2019 - not a chance Reform are within 15,000 votes...
    Very much the Lab response to the Express reporter
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,414

Andy_JS said:

"A Liberal Democrat candidate apologised for apparently joking that a woman with a Liverpool accent was in the area "nicking stuff".

Lisa Smart, who is standing in the Stockport constituency of Hazel Grove, was recorded on a doorbell camera making the quip while out canvassing.

Ms Smart made the comment to a woman with a Liverpool accent who answered a door but explained it was not her house.

The local Labour and Conservative candidates condemned the comment as a "casual slur" and a "derogatory stereotype"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd11xprd6ryo

A famous employment tribunal case established that it is quite legal to be rude to scousers on the grounds that regional accents and identities are not protected characteristics.

Much to the relief of Harry Enfield I suspect.
    Calm down.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105
    Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Unconfirmed as yet but numerous sources stating North Korean troops will officially be sent to Ukraine to fight alongside Russian troops in the zone of the SMO.

This comes after they signed strategic partnership treaty deepening military cooperation.

Buckle up!

https://x.com/UnityNewsNet/status/1805977955316678692

Oh no - here comes North Korea with all its might and resources! Run for the hills!
    North Korea regular army 950,000 active personnel compared to 75,000 for British army
    Also 420,000 reserve personnel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,992
    Economist forecasts the Tories to hold one seat in Wales, but it's not Montgomeryshire, it's Brecon.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/uk-general-election/forecast
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,801

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Unconfirmed as yet but numerous sources stating North Korean troops will officially be sent to Ukraine to fight alongside Russian troops in the zone of the SMO.

This comes after they signed strategic partnership treaty deepening military cooperation.

Buckle up!

Oh no - here comes North Korea with all its might and resources! Run for the hills!
    North Korea regular army 950,000 active personnel compared to 75,000 for British army
    Got any more tractor stats ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,860

Am I the only one who hates these trite constituency groupings? ‘Comfortable and Commuting’ and ‘Marginal and Mixed’ FFS.

Presume the authors are in one of the Smug and Patronising seats.
    You have to call them something. People don't remember phrases like "Group 02", "Group 01", "Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Group 01", so you have to give them memorable names that people get.

See also correct horse battery staple
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    edited June 26
    The perils of next generation doorbells.

We are told to knock. (Also, not to make derogatory comments in earshot about the number or state of their garden gnomes...)

On which subject, saw my second Reform poster today. The property had the most ginormous garden gnome by the poster.

I christened it Nige the Gnome. Silently, of course.
  • Options
    Finchley & Golders Green expected to be fairly close according to the Economist.

Lab 34%
    Con 29%
    LD 20%
    Ref 9%
    Grn 6%
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

The WeThink MRP has some odd results. Not sure I buy that Reform are going to take Newark or one of the IOW seats as well as others but Farage fails by 14% points and Tice loses as does 30p Lee. I mean it would be hilarious but I just don’t buy it.

Yes. MRPs are bad at hyper local circumstances.
    Possibly. I’m just concerned that we are a reasonable poll error/late swing away from a result that is miles away from the current consensus of the Tories being all but obliterated. Imagine the soul searching if what we get is similar in seats if not vote share to 2005
    I just don’t see what is going to happen in the next few days to make a massive chunk of the electorate go “Actually, you know what, the Tories deserve another shot”

Especially given a lot of people have already voted…
    Well people are not necessarily logical for a start. I’m not saying that the polling is wrong, but that they probably don’t need to be that wrong to get an outcome in seat terms that looks wildly different to expected. If prior to the election everyone has been told repeatedly that the Tories will practically cease to exist, what will happen if the results don’t bear that out.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,129
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Broxbourne and Basildon/Billericay are the first big tests of the models

EC Broxbourne 0.3 Con
    YG Broxbourne 1% Lab
    NS Broxbourne 2.4% Lab
    IPSOS Broxbourne 1% Con
    SAVANTA Broxbourne 4.97% Lab
    FOCALDATA Broxbourne 2.0% Con
    More in Common Broxbourne 6.50% Con
    Survation Broxbourne 1.73% Con

Same MRPs/models

Basildon and Billericay 2.4 Lab
    Basildon and Billericay 2% Rfm
    Basildon and Billericay 0.4% Con
    Basildon and Billericay 5% Lab
    Basildon and Billericay 6.89% Lab
    Basildon and Billericay 8.3% Con
    Basildon and Billericay 8.80% Con
    Basildon and Billericay 1.89% Lab

Thank you, and you everyone else doing these spreadsheets.There’s going to be money made on here again isn’t there?

If a lot of us do well, a donate button for the site feels overdue, but also maybe a way to buy a notional beer for the various spreadsheet builders.
    @Andy_JS did a spreadsheet for the 2016 referendum, that made many of us here a lot of money. If we should ever meet, he will leave very drunk and not having bought a single drink. 🍻
    Oddly enough I didn't make much money out of it myself because I was too busy scrolling through results, etc.

After someone on here encouraged me to do so, I'm doing another spreadsheet this year which will hopefully predict what the result will be in each constituency assuming the overall result is X, and then we can compare the actual result to that.
    Good luck with this year’s spreadsheet - and the invitation for drinks very much still stands, eight years later.
  • Options
    TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

While the Graun includes the Badenoch/Tennant spat deep in its rolling coverage, there is no mention at all of it, still less any story on its election website front page.

It's on their main election news feed, and has been for mcuh of today. There is only so much space on the page itself.
    The following is a quote from the Guardian entry on its election page. The entry is here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jun/26/uk-general-election-live-updates-tories-labour-betting-scandal?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with:block-667bd0b68f0839bc2f003855#block-667bd0b68f0839bc2f003855

"...The PA news agency have a bit more detail on the comments from David Tennant and Kemi Badenoch. Tennant won a prize for being a “celebrity ally” at the British LGBT awards last week and used his speech to target the equalities minister. Badenoch has faced criticism over her approach to trans rights.

Tennant said in his acceptance speech:

"...If I’m honest I’m a little depressed by the fact that acknowledging that everyone has the right to be who they want to be and live their life how they want to live it as long as they’re not hurting anyone else should merit any kind of special award or special mention, because it’s common sense, isn’t it? It is human decency. We shouldn’t live in a world where that is worth remarking on. However, until we wake up and Kemi Badenoch doesn’t exist any more – I don’t wish ill of her, I just wish her to shut up – whilst we do live in this world, I am honoured to receive this...”

In response to Tennant’s comments, Badenoch said:

"...I will not shut up. I will not be silenced by men who prioritise applause from Stonewall over the safety of women and girls. A rich, lefty, white male celebrity so blinded by ideology he can’t see the optics of attacking the only black woman in government by calling publicly for my existence to end. Tennant is one of Labour’s celebrity supporters. This is an early example of what life will be like if they win. Keir Starmer stood by while Rosie Duffield was hounded. He and his supporters will do the same with the country. Do not let the bigots and bullies win...”
    "calling publicly for my existence to end".

Kemi Badenoch seems to have reckoned without the fact that we can read.
    >everyone has the right to be who they want to be and live their life how they want to live it as long as they’re not hurting anyone else

See the bit in bold. That's the point which this very male-dominated forum keeps on missing. Men who go into women's changing rooms and act as voyeurs (voyeurism is a crime, btw) making women feel uncomfortable and distressed - see the case of the nurses in Darlington - are not living their lives without hurting others.

They want to live their lives as they want regardless of whether or not they hurt others. In some cases, hurting women seems to be the aim. Why else would young masked men gather to shout abuse at women or hold up placards threatening violence against them.

That's the point which is missed and which, when raised on here or elsewhere, gets abuse or contemptuous dismissal, such as being told to shut up.

That's exactly the problem with this sort of rhetoric. It is tantamount to saying that trans women who are allowed to use women's changing rooms or loos are criminals.

It's the same as saying Muslims are terrorists, or Romanians are pickpockets, or gay men are paedophiles.

It's othering, pure and simple. And if you look at polling of women on this subject it gives the lie to the idea this is a battle between the sexes.
    There have been enough instances of non-trans people (men!) installing peepholes or cameras in female bathrooms and spaces or even dressing up in rubber "woman" suits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385889/Joel-Hardman-wore-female-rubber-mask-wig-spy-women-public-toilets.html

Besides, what do we do with trans-men? Should this guy be told to use the ladies just because his birth certificate says "female"?

• Options
    edited June 26
    eek said:

The express (lol) say Yvette is in panic mode in Castleford

She might become Home Secretary?
    In a seat that the Tories didn't win in 2019 - not a chance Reform are within 15,000 votes...
    Economist forecast for Pontefract: Lab 46%, Ref 26%, Con 15%, LD 6%, Grn 3%.

26% would be about 11,000 votes.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,417
    edited June 26
    eek said:

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

Putin's thinking is presumably that North Korea has more bullet magnets than Ukraine has bullets.
    I was wondering what does the North Korean harvest look like. Does sending 500,000 soldiers to Russia so Russia feeds them have an impact on food availability.
    I think Russian food production is reasonably good looking forward ? It's got an almighty land area, small population for the land area and global warming is a strong net benefit for them (One of the few nations it helps) for food production.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,097

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FPT

Goodwin thinks Reform may have been damaged by Farage's Ukraine comments which is significant coming from him.

It does play into the idea that Farage is most comfortable hanging around with the bad boys.

The Rest is Politics summed it up well this week: Farage and his ilk believe their own bullshit and assume everybody else does too deep down but most are too cowed to admit it. Whereas in reality these (e,g, Putin is right) are distinctly minority views.

@Leon suffers the same delusion.
    I'm not sure you're exactly right Ben.

When Reform or one of Farage's other vehicles arrive, they do so with ideas that often have quite wide support. Immigration is the obvious example: the median position in the voting public is closer to Reform's than it is to anyone else. Much of their manifesto was (I understand - I haven't read it) unremarkable right wingery. Possibly you could question the sums, but that's true of all small parties. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're certainly not minority views. It's not unreasonable of Reform to assume their views have traction.
    Where they've then gone wrong is possibly by assuming that because some of their views have traction (Reform: there is too much immigration; the government should tackle this; right-hand half of UK electorate: Yes, Reform, you're right.) that ALL of their views will (Reform: Oh, and Putin's actually a really lovely guy; right-hand half of UK electorate: er, what? [edges away quietly)]

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had the experience of a conversation with a friendly stranger in a pub where a couple of uncontroversial opinions have been followed up by some absolute insanity. This feels like that.

I'm sure plenty will still vote Reform out of sheer rage. But I think even among those that do support for Putin will be a distinctly minority position.
    Well yes, I was referring to the 'Putin is right' idea as an example. I agree some of their ideas have more support and thus traction.
    Fair enough.
    I must admit, I've been rather taken aback by the Putin stuff. I knew Nigel was not entirely trustworthy on Ukraine - but I thought he'd at least try to come across as such. And I'm quite staggered there are quite so many out and out Putinistas among Reform candidates. I'm slightly surprised there are that many Putinistas in the country.

I think Sandpit's right on Nigel - he's spent too much time in America and is looking through the wrong Overton window - but I'm surprised at the rest of them. Not that there are cranks in Reform (or indeed any other party) - but that their crankery is so consistent.
    I'd be interested to know if the Greens are the same.
    I am amazed that anybody could be fooled by Farage, but I guess Brexit should have taught me my lesson.

I always knew that Boris, Truss and Raaaaaaab were vacuous idiots (as I repeatedly said on here for years), but to me it has always been obvious that Farage was primarily interested in promoting himself (like Trump). His face on Brexit night when he realised that he had killed his own Euro-gravy train was the only heart warming moment of the evening.

Starmer does not worry me in the same way that the Tory chancers and wide-boys did. I think he will do his best for the country, but I do worry that he is more of a manager than a leader. I hope he has the vision and drive necessary to improve things.
    I always prefer a manager to a leader. Back in my day Gary Glitter was the self-styled "leader".
    I am a political geek, like most of us here, but I cannot name a single Swiss politician (ever!).
    Yet Switzerland is one of the most prosperous, contented countries in the world.
    Maybe it is its lack of "leaders" which contributes to this?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,379
    edited June 26
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

The WeThink MRP has some odd results. Not sure I buy that Reform are going to take Newark or one of the IOW seats as well as others but Farage fails by 14% points and Tice loses as does 30p Lee. I mean it would be hilarious but I just don’t buy it.

Possibly. I’m just concerned that we are a reasonable poll error/late swing away from a result that is miles away from the current consensus of the Tories being all but obliterated. Imagine the soul searching if what we get is similar in seats if not vote share to 2005
    I'd settle for a Labour majority of 60 (2005). I'd settle for Lab/LD getting 330 seats between them. A Labour led government that had to work very obviously hard to retain the voters' support in 2029 would be a good start.

However this won't happen. It is more likely labour will get +-500 seats than +- 320.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

Got any more tractor stats ?
    They have thousands of tractors. Apparently they have thousands of tanks too, but only a few dozen T-62s and local derivatives actually serviaceble, which have never not more muddy than for the Pyongyang parade ground.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Economist forecasts the Tories to hold one seat in Wales, but it's not Montgomeryshire, it's Brecon.

Possible, especially if the LD vote stays weak in Wales. Montgomery now a no hoper with bet boy which leaves very long shot chances in Pembroke and Monmouth, both very tough to see unless they get towards 23% or so in Wales
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FPT

Goodwin thinks Reform may have been damaged by Farage's Ukraine comments which is significant coming from him.

It does play into the idea that Farage is most comfortable hanging around with the bad boys.

The Rest is Politics summed it up well this week: Farage and his ilk believe their own bullshit and assume everybody else does too deep down but most are too cowed to admit it. Whereas in reality these (e,g, Putin is right) are distinctly minority views.

When Reform or one of Farage's other vehicles arrive, they do so with ideas that often have quite wide support. Immigration is the obvious example: the median position in the voting public is closer to Reform's than it is to anyone else. Much of their manifesto was (I understand - I haven't read it) unremarkable right wingery. Possibly you could question the sums, but that's true of all small parties. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're certainly not minority views. It's not unreasonable of Reform to assume their views have traction.
    Where they've then gone wrong is possibly by assuming that because some of their views have traction (Reform: there is too much immigration; the government should tackle this; right-hand half of UK electorate: Yes, Reform, you're right.) that ALL of their views will (Reform: Oh, and Putin's actually a really lovely guy; right-hand half of UK electorate: er, what? [edges away quietly)]

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had the experience of a conversation with a friendly stranger in a pub where a couple of uncontroversial opinions have been followed up by some absolute insanity. This feels like that.

I'm sure plenty will still vote Reform out of sheer rage. But I think even among those that do support for Putin will be a distinctly minority position.
    Well yes, I was referring to the 'Putin is right' idea as an example. I agree some of their ideas have more support and thus traction.
    Fair enough.
    I must admit, I've been rather taken aback by the Putin stuff. I knew Nigel was not entirely trustworthy on Ukraine - but I thought he'd at least try to come across as such. And I'm quite staggered there are quite so many out and out Putinistas among Reform candidates. I'm slightly surprised there are that many Putinistas in the country.

I think Sandpit's right on Nigel - he's spent too much time in America and is looking through the wrong Overton window - but I'm surprised at the rest of them. Not that there are cranks in Reform (or indeed any other party) - but that their crankery is so consistent.
    I am amazed that anybody could be fooled by Farage, but I guess Brexit should have taught me my lesson.

I always knew that Boris, Truss and Raaaaaaab were vacuous idiots (as I repeatedly said on here for years), but to me it has always been obvious that Farage was primarily interested in promoting himself (like Trump). His face on Brexit night when he realised that he had killed his own Euro-gravy train was the only heart warming moment of the evening.

Starmer does not worry me in the same way that the Tory chancers and wide-boys did. I think he will do his best for the country, but I do worry that he is more of a manager than a leader. I hope he has the vision and drive necessary to improve things.
    I always prefer a manager to a leader. Back in my day Gary Glitter was the self-styled "leader".
    There was another one who liked that title mein...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

[snip] Everything anyone wants to build should be waved through.

*Applauds.*

I don't agree, but I love mad and uncompromising certainty on an extreme position.
    But let's keep that outside the Box.
    But if we agree that we need a bigger box, we'll need Bart's support to get planning permission for it. And an Overton window which overlooks his back garden.

We'll be able to wave to him while we're thinking inside it.
    That's a lovely image.
  • Options

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

While the Graun includes the Badenoch/Tennant spat deep in its rolling coverage, there is no mention at all of it, still less any story on its election website front page.

It's on their main election news feed, and has been for mcuh of today. There is only so much space on the page itself.
    The following is a quote from the Guardian entry on its election page. The entry is here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jun/26/uk-general-election-live-updates-tories-labour-betting-scandal?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with:block-667bd0b68f0839bc2f003855#block-667bd0b68f0839bc2f003855

"...The PA news agency have a bit more detail on the comments from David Tennant and Kemi Badenoch. Tennant won a prize for being a “celebrity ally” at the British LGBT awards last week and used his speech to target the equalities minister. Badenoch has faced criticism over her approach to trans rights.

"...If I’m honest I’m a little depressed by the fact that acknowledging that everyone has the right to be who they want to be and live their life how they want to live it as long as they’re not hurting anyone else should merit any kind of special award or special mention, because it’s common sense, isn’t it? It is human decency. We shouldn’t live in a world where that is worth remarking on. However, until we wake up and Kemi Badenoch doesn’t exist any more – I don’t wish ill of her, I just wish her to shut up – whilst we do live in this world, I am honoured to receive this...”

"...I will not shut up. I will not be silenced by men who prioritise applause from Stonewall over the safety of women and girls. A rich, lefty, white male celebrity so blinded by ideology he can’t see the optics of attacking the only black woman in government by calling publicly for my existence to end. Tennant is one of Labour’s celebrity supporters. This is an early example of what life will be like if they win. Keir Starmer stood by while Rosie Duffield was hounded. He and his supporters will do the same with the country. Do not let the bigots and bullies win...”

>everyone has the right to be who they want to be and live their life how they want to live it as long as they’re not hurting anyone else

See the bit in bold. That's the point which this very male-dominated forum keeps on missing. Men who go into women's changing rooms and act as voyeurs (voyeurism is a crime, btw) making women feel uncomfortable and distressed - see the case of the nurses in Darlington - are not living their lives without hurting others.

They want to live their lives as they want regardless of whether or not they hurt others. In some cases, hurting women seems to be the aim. Why else would young masked men gather to shout abuse at women or hold up placards threatening violence against them.

That's the point which is missed and which, when raised on here or elsewhere, gets abuse or contemptuous dismissal, such as being told to shut up.

That's exactly the problem with this sort of rhetoric. It is tantamount to saying that trans women who are allowed to use women's changing rooms or loos are criminals.

It's the same as saying Muslims are terrorists, or Romanians are pickpockets, or gay men are paedophiles.

It's othering, pure and simple. And if you look at polling of women on this subject it gives the lie to the idea this is a battle between the sexes.
    There have been enough instances of non-trans people (men!) installing peepholes or cameras in female bathrooms and spaces or even dressing up in rubber "woman" suits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385889/Joel-Hardman-wore-female-rubber-mask-wig-spy-women-public-toilets.html

Besides, what do we do with trans-men? Should this guy be told to use the ladies just because his birth certificate says "female"?

The men don’t care who uses the men’s room.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    Andy_JS said:

Finchley & Golders Green expected to be fairly close according to the Economist.

Lab 34%
    Con 29%
    LD 20%
    Ref 9%
    Grn 6%

On the new boundaries, the 2019 result was Con 44%, LD 32%, Lab 24% so that would be a 12.5% swing from Conservative to Labour which would be respectable in London terms based on the YouGov poll from earlier in the week.

LDs well down as I am expecting outside the south west of the capital where I think they will do well.

Assuming this MRP has taken hyper-local events into account.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried averaging all of the MRP constituency results? Would probably give a more accurate result than any individual one.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 721
    edited June 26
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

"A Liberal Democrat candidate apologised for apparently joking that a woman with a Liverpool accent was in the area "nicking stuff".

Lisa Smart, who is standing in the Stockport constituency of Hazel Grove, was recorded on a doorbell camera making the quip while out canvassing.

Ms Smart made the comment to a woman with a Liverpool accent who answered a door but explained it was not her house.

The local Labour and Conservative candidates condemned the comment as a "casual slur" and a "derogatory stereotype"."

A famous employment tribunal case established that it is quite legal to be rude to scousers on the grounds that regional accents and identities are not protected characteristics.

Calm down.
    ??

Doh - got it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

How would you interpret "until we wake up and Kemi Badenoch doesn't exist" in any way other than that this would be a good thing.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,029
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I just don’t see what is going to happen in the next few days to make a massive chunk of the electorate go “Actually, you know what, the Tories deserve another shot”

Well people are not necessarily logical for a start. I’m not saying that the polling is wrong, but that they probably don’t need to be that wrong to get an outcome in seat terms that looks wildly different to expected. If prior to the election everyone has been told repeatedly that the Tories will practically cease to exist, what will happen if the results don’t bear that out.
    What will happen is that the Tories will breathe a sigh of relief and then descend into several months of internal naval gazing. I'd guess if they end up with between 150 and 200 seats they may well then emerge with a leader like Mordaunt or Barclay. If they end up completely spanked with close to or below 100 seats then I think it becomes a much nastier fight between populist Reform-anschluss supporters and traditional tribal Tories.

You are right on the risk of error though. We are only a small polling error, plus a little bit of standard homeward bound swingback in the last week at the expense of Reform, away from a score closer to 200 than 100 seats.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited June 26

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FPT

Fair enough.

I am a political geek, like most of us here, but I cannot name a single Swiss politician (ever!).
    Yet Switzerland is one of the most prosperous, contented countries in the world.
    Maybe it is its lack of "leaders" which contributes to this?
    Obligatory response:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydkTy6GmFA
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,712

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

They've a militarised society, a massive army and lots of ballistic missiles. I think you'd be foolish to imagine this won't make a difference. Plus what has Russia promised NK?
    If the North Korean Army went all-in to support Russia it might prolong the Russian war effort for 12-18 months, but at the cost of North Korea not being able to fight a conventional war on the Korean peninsula for at least the next decade.

They wouldn't make such a move except in trade for some serious nuclear and missile technology.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Has anyone tried averaging all of the MRP constituency results? Would probably give a more accurate result than any individual one.

That's what the Economist has done isn't it? Blended the MRPs.....
  • Options
    edited June 26
    @NorstatUKPolls GB-wide Poll June 24-26

Westminster Voting Intention

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

https://x.com/NorstatUKPolls/status/1805990041078112744?s=19

A bit of tightening, Lab under 40 again and reform slip back, keeps it interesting to a degree!
  • Options

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

Calm down.
    ??

Doh - got it.
    I did miss off the “‘ey”.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,636
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

Calm down.
    ??

Doh - got it.
    I just assumed it had been nicked by a local.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380
    Who at the BBC thought Wayne Rooney would be a great hire for doing the analysis of how teams play in the Euros.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,906

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

That tells you just how fucked Russia is. That they are depending on soldiers from one of the poorest countries in the world to hand over cannon fodder.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    TimS said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

What will happen is that the Tories will breathe a sigh of relief and then descend into several months of internal naval gazing. I'd guess if they end up with between 150 and 200 seats they may well then emerge with a leader like Mordaunt or Barclay. If they end up completely spanked with close to or below 100 seats then I think it becomes a much nastier fight between populist Reform-anschluss supporters and traditional tribal Tories.

You are right on the risk of error though. We are only a small polling error, plus a little bit of standard homeward bound swingback in the last week at the expense of Reform, away from a score closer to 200 than 100 seats.
    When you play with the numbers, so many of these party scores are clustered around cliff edge effects up and down. More likely than not the result will be a dull 400 plays 150 but anything from Tory electoral wipeout to hung Parliament feels like it’s within a smallish standard deviation.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

A bit of tightening, Lab under 40 again and reform slip back, keeps it interesting to a degree!

I wonder just how many Conservative seats Nige's Putin fanboyism has saved.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 291

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

I still dont think Labour will quite hit 40%, but its all irrelevant if the Tories poll mid 20ss
  • Options
    It's like a Saturday morning on PB out there among the fringe parties:

"🚨 NEW: George Galloway claims he trusts Vladimir Putin more than Keir Starmer, Joe Biden or Donald Trump"

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1805968682557853942
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,784

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

They've a militarised society, a massive army and lots of ballistic missiles. I think you'd be foolish to imagine this won't make a difference. Plus what has Russia promised NK?
    If the North Korean Army went all-in to support Russia it might prolong the Russian war effort for 12-18 months, but at the cost of North Korea not being able to fight a conventional war on the Korean peninsula for at least the next decade.

They wouldn't make such a move except in trade for some serious nuclear and missile technology.
    North Korea has a lots of stuff but of dubious quality. Apparently imbalance in their artillery shells that have arrived in Russia, already, is a big issue. The effects of which range (ha!) from missing the target to Mr Wrong Kind Of Boom.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Hang on: the men's room is non-smoking.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,481
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

How would you interpret "until we wake up and Kemi Badenoch doesn't exist" in any way other than that this would be a good thing.
    Which of the words in the phrase "I don't wish ill of her" is beyond your understanding?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

That tells you just how fucked Russia is. That they are depending on soldiers from one of the poorest countries in the world to hand over cannon fodder.
    And Putin had to play suckup to the fat controller.
    That must have smarted.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,802

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

Oooh fresh data too
  • Options
    TimS said:

It's like a Saturday morning on PB out there among the fringe parties:

"🚨 NEW: George Galloway claims he trusts Vladimir Putin more than Keir Starmer, Joe Biden or Donald Trump"

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1805968682557853942

I suppose it depends what we mean by “trust”. I think Putin is more predictable and will stick to his plan…
  • Options
    You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.
  • Options
    Not sure about some of the underlying constituencies results in the We Think MRP.

Guildford - Labour gain?

and one for @MarqueeMark South Devon - Lib Dem gain?
  • Options

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

We have accumulating evidence of Reform losing support due to Farage's Russian apologia.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Heathener said:

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

Oooh fresh data too
    Right off the trawler!
    There's the wipeout scenarios then this which is about 1 to 2% swing from a 97 result
  • Options
    Regarding bathrooms, can we not:

(a) Make the stalls reach the floor
    and
    (b) Make them non-gender specific

That's increasingly the way in the US, and I must admit I'm a big fan.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Someones been reading too much zerohedge
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181

Technically it had a Labour MP between 2007 and 2010 when Quentin Davies proved he was a traitorous pig dog defector.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380
    edited June 26
    Labour to bring in automatic voter registration under plans to boost franchise

Labour is planning to introduce automatic registration for voting under plans to add millions more people to the electoral roll for future elections, especially young people, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/26/labour-automatic-voter-registration-reform-plans

Starmer is not going to waste any opportunity to put finger on the scales once he gets power. Where as the Tories spent 14 years not really gaining a massive advantage of the much watered down redrawing constituencies (remember the more radical proposal originally was far fewer seats) and the voter id stuff which is nothing like the gerrymandering type stuff in the US.

I can see a scandal coming of people being auto registered who end up not being eligible.
  • Options
    Stat fact of the day.
    Norstat are currently the only pollster to have the Tories up since their first campaign poll
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

Dozens.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Not only is that completely wrong, it is not the point. If Trans-women are not women and should use the men's toilets then trans-men are not men and should use the women's toilets.

You cannot say that birth is biology and then claim it only applies to one group.

As to your earlier point, how many lads would be comfortable at the urinals whilst this person uses her "birth gender toilet"?

• Options
    We want to deeply thank His Majesty King Charles III for his birthday wishes to Hello Kitty on her 50th anniversary, during the visit of Their Majesties Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.
    https://x.com/WeRHelloKitty/status/1805969137006505985
  • Options

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.

Thats a very good post. A voice of reason on pb.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

and

We did that at work very briefly. Then the day after curry night a lot of women lobbied for us to allocate them by sex again, so we had to.

Men are willing to make worse deposits in work loos.
  • Options

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon...

I'm sure people thought the same about the Serb forces in Croatia, but they were forced out and a united Croatia is now in the EU and NATO.

The future isn't certain, and we have an opportunity for a great victory for democracy over tyranny.
  • Options

Remember: invading is usually the easy part.

And it's the occupation that usually kills you.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,282
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

and

We did that at work very briefly. Then the day after curry night a lot of women lobbied for us to allocate them by sex again, so we had to.

Men are willing to make worse deposits in work loos.
    To *leave* worse deposits ...
  • Options
    edited June 26

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Not only is that completely wrong, it is not the point. If Trans-women are not women and should use the men's toilets then trans-men are not men and should use the women's toilets.

You cannot say that birth is biology and then claim it only applies to one group.

As to your earlier point, how many lads would be comfortable at the urinals whilst this person uses her "birth gender toilet"?

I would. There is a fundamental difference here. The average bloke (not all, but the average) doesn’t really care who sees his bits, especially outside of a sexual context, and is usually not at any real risk of anything more than being mocked if he gets them out.

That’s why the conversation is framed around women.
  • Options
    trukattrukat Posts: 30

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

We are never "comfortable". If you have the equipment to use a urinal, then why not?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Which of the words in the phrase "I don't wish ill of her" is beyond your understanding?

Did you see the clip. He realised what he had said and tried to back-pedal. Weasel words, I believe is the phrase.

How ignominious your fall from cleverest PB contributor to the most evidently stupid.
  • Options
    🆕 @Moreincommon_ @TheNewsAgents voting intention - our lowest ever vote share for the Tories. Labour lead by 17.

🔴 LAB 40% (-1)
    🔵 CON 23% (-2)
    🟣 REF UK 14% (-1)
    🟠 LIB DEM 11% (+1)
    🟢 GREEN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

N 3,420 | 24-26/6 | Tables: moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/votin…
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771

Pop

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Phone masts in urban areas should not have restrictions.

Sorry to make this point again but planning has come up and it's my area.

Yes, they should. You don't want them plonked in the middle of a school playing field, the flight path of an airport, or in a cemetery.

Come on. This anti-NIMBY stuff is starting to get a bit silly.
    You don't need planning to deal with the former or the latter, the owners of the field or cemetery should determine what is appropriate with their own land. No need for NIMBYs to stick their oars in.

As for flight paths, flight safety is already dealt with separately under specific regulations, again no need for nosy neighbours to get involved.
    So it's only the regulations that you personally don't like that should be ignored?
    No, regulations should be set by the law, debated in Parliament.

Then people should be free to liberally do whatever they please within the law, without their neighbours having a say.
    The origins of our legal system lie in creating a more peaceful way to resolve disputes than violent blood feuds. In a similar way, our planning system has to accommodate the reality that most people do care about what their neighbours do with their land.

Having some rules, and a process, around it helps to ameliorate frustration and bad feeling, and reduces the likelihood of a dispute leading to violence.

While I can respect that you hold this idealistic position that posits they people shouldn't care, do you not acknowledge the value of a planning system to deal with the reality that people do care?
    No, Barty doesn't recognise their right to care.
    They can care, bitch and moan all they please.

But if what is being developed is legal and by consenting adults on their own land it should be allowed and objections should have no say at all.

Just as if people object to a gay couple, or interracial couple, they should be allowed to care but not have the right to get involved and object to what consenting adults do on their own land.
    There's a difference between what people do as an activity and what they do to change the environment.
    Why is there?

If its their own land, what difference is there?
    Do you oppose restrictions on noise pollution?
    I think there should be legal restriction on noise and other pollution in land zoned for residential housing, and so long as whatever you're planning doesn't violate those noise or any other restrictions it should be perfectly legal.

If it does, there ought to be consequences, but you don't need NIMBYs or planning to deal with that.
    There is a difference between letting anything happen and then acting if laws are broken (which appears to be your approach); and a planning system that stops something that is liable to break laws before it happens. I think it’s generally sensible to review plans before they happen, rather than to wait for problems to arise.
    And I definitely do not.

The planning system is not the appropriate way to deal with noise pollution already.

If a pub with a new landlord in a residential area, of which there are quite reasonably many, decides to suddenly play excessively loud music disturbing the neighbours what will the planning system do about that? Precisely nothing.

What will the Police and EHO whose responsibility that is do about it? Plenty.
  • Options
    And there's more. It's a mega polling day today:

"🆕
    @Moreincommon_

@TheNewsAgents
    voting intention - our lowest ever vote share for the Tories. Labour lead by 17.

🔴 LAB 40% (-1)
    🔵 CON 23% (-2)
    🟣 REF UK 14% (-1)
    🟠 LIB DEM 11% (+1)
    🟢 GREEN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

N 3,420 | 24-26/6 | Tables: https://moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/voting-intention/"

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1805994505482510521

Too many polls. Far far too many
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,965
    I don't think we will learn very much from tomorrow's by elections. There are Lab defences in Cumberland and Hackney, and an Ind defence in South Tyneside.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,531

Cookie said:

Dodgy source but still.

Just in🔥

Buckle up!

Who knows, right? Maybe they'll send a token force and some diggers.

Just I'd be very wary of NK. They've been preparing for war since their inception and there's a railway from NK to Donetsk.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,640
    @johnestevens
    🚨Exclusive: Bombshell MRP poll shows Tories pushed into third place behind Lib Dems in election bloodbath

20 Cabinet ministers projected to lose seats including Rishi Sunak

https://x.com/johnestevens/status/1805994429540651250
  • Options
    TimS said:

"🆕
    @Moreincommon_

@TheNewsAgents
    voting intention - our lowest ever vote share for the Tories. Labour lead by 17.

🔴 LAB 40% (-1)
    🔵 CON 23% (-2)
    🟣 REF UK 14% (-1)
    🟠 LIB DEM 11% (+1)
    🟢 GREEN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

N 3,420 | 24-26/6 | Tables: https://moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/voting-intention/"

At this point we can surmise the tory share is between 18 to 23%.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,495
    edited June 26
    eek said:

Phone masts in urban areas should not have restrictions.

Sorry to make this point again but planning has come up and it's my area.

I've seen what mobile phone companies tried to do in the Dales - sorry but nope - the plans were utterly insane given that the only purpose of ruining the view was slightly improved reception on part of the M6.

Which reminds me of the time EE reorientated the masts around here and accidentally placed their third line support engineer for the emergency network in a no reception zone.
    I did say URBAN areas.

But also, of course they should have coverage on the M6.

Frankly there should be nowhere where 4G/5G should not be available. If that means needing to disguise the masts then fine but your blanket "no" is ridiculous.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    Re: Toilets

Is there any reason why single cubicle toilets are gender specific? (Where it’s not a bathroom, it’s just a row of toilets with a sign on the door saying male or female) - and the sinks are ‘outside’ for communal use

I’ve seen situations where there’s been one toilet for men and one toilet for women, and e.g. 3 women have needed the loo at the same time, and they’re queuing for the same one - even though functionally, the toilets are exactly the same?

• Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

The complaints about bathrooms and changing rooms and prisons and shelters and sports days are not coming from men, the complaints are coming exclusively from women.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425
    Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

Dozens.
    If you Baxter that poll, you get Con 115 seats.

If you take the +3% for Con and instead add it to Reform (so Con20%, Ref 18%) you get Con 72 seats.

So using the Electoral Calculus model you can take a guess that Farage's oopsie has saved the Conservatives 43 seats.

A big difference between fighting the Lib Dems for second place, vs the tories being the clear main opposition with a base to build back from. Not to mention the end of any 'reverse takeover' aspirations from Farage. A truly monumental gaffe from the Putin appeaser.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,431
    rcs1000 said:

and

What about urinals?
  • Options
    Confirmed now

BREAKING

North Korea to send troops to Ukraine within a month - Kyiv post

According to a signed defense pact, both countries will support each other in case of war

https://x.com/IranObserver0/status/1805987394312900758
  • Options

Confirmed now

BREAKING

According to a signed defense pact, both countries will support each other in case of war

Have the Russians really thought through the Japanese and Korean reaction?
  • Options

Confirmed now

BREAKING

NATO should send troops to Ukraine.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Confirmed now

BREAKING

Do they have much choice in the matter at this point?

An opportune moment for Seoul to start lobbing missiles over Pyongyang and into the sea.
  • Options
    TimS said:

"🆕
    @Moreincommon_

@TheNewsAgents

🔴 LAB 40% (-1)
    🔵 CON 23% (-2)
    🟣 REF UK 14% (-1)
    🟠 LIB DEM 11% (+1)
    🟢 GREEN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

That's JL Partners, with 25%, left as the only pollster giving a Tory share above 23%, I think.

My prediction was 29%.

Um.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

The complaints about bathrooms and changing rooms and prisons and shelters and sports days are not coming from men, the complaints are coming exclusively from women.
    I know that.

The point I am making is saying that forcing people into their "birth gender" toilet is not as simple an answer as many think.

Let us say that all trans-women get banned, then where do women like her "go"? How long would it be until she was attacked, assaulted or raped in a gents?

Or does she meet a "looks ok" standard? Is that how we judge? What do we do with masculine looking women? There are some really butch looking ladies that I have come across in the loos.

I want to be as safe as anyone else, but simple labelling and hysteria are not the answers.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,014

Confirmed now

BREAKING

Russia is paying N.Korea for more warm bodies for the front then?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307
    https://x.com/shehabkhan/status/1805978945734529534

Very prominent British Bangladeshi community leader reaches out to say the community is ‘seething’ with Keir Starmer and demanding an apology.

They say he should be ‘ashamed’ and ‘a PM in waiting should never attack minority communities’.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    edited June 26
    Scott_xP said:

@johnestevens
    🚨Exclusive: Bombshell MRP poll shows Tories pushed into third place behind Lib Dems in election bloodbath

20 Cabinet ministers projected to lose seats including Rishi Sunak

https://x.com/johnestevens/status/1805994429540651250

LAB 450
    LIB DEM 71
    CONS 60
    SNP 24
    REFUK 18 (!)
    GREEN 4
    PC 4

MRP by Find Out Now and Electoral Calculus
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

Con 23% (+3%)
    Lab 39% (-1%)
    Lib Dem 12% (NC)
    Reform UK 15% (-4%)
    Green 6% (+1%)

Sample size 2,025

Changes since June 17-19

We have accumulating evidence of Reform losing support due to Farage's Russian apologia.
    How can we know what it is due to? It could be his Putinphilia but it could just as easily be reversion to trend after a publicity induced bounce.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

DeclanF said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

I couldn't give less of a shit if any woman uses the men's bathroom.

Plenty do to skip the queues which are often insane for the ladies but nowhere near as bad in the men's (thanks to our availability of urinals).

Men using the ladies is a different matter.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 653

Labour to bring in automatic voter registration under plans to boost franchise

Labour is planning to introduce automatic registration for voting under plans to add millions more people to the electoral roll for future elections, especially young people, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/26/labour-automatic-voter-registration-reform-plans

Starmer is not going to waste any opportunity to put finger on the scales once he gets power. Where as the Tories spent 14 years not really gaining a massive advantage of the much watered down redrawing constituencies (remember the more radical proposal originally was far fewer seats) and the voter id stuff which is nothing like the gerrymandering type stuff in the US.

I can see a scandal coming of people being auto registered who end up not being eligible.

I'd imagine that the Telegraph will be looking.

Do you think any future government would be able to row back on it though? Assuming the big change would be if constituencies were redrawn on auto-registration, it would surely be quite a challenge politically, to remove millions of people from the electoral roll who actually exist.
  • Options
    What a weird MRP from find out now, Rishi ousted but Gullis hangs on in Stoke!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,352
    I'm beginning to Simon Hoare could be in trouble in my North Dorset constituency, a top 10 Tory safe seat.

Why?

1. In the locals the wards which make up this seat voted 47.9% Con, 37.8% LD, others 14.3% on a turnout of 33.25%. There were no Reform candidates and just 3 UKIP candidates across the 19 seats.
    2. Since the locals nationally there has been a swing of 4% Con to LD (basically the Tories dropping from 28% to 20%).
    3. North Dorset has Reform, UKIP and SDP standing alongside C, L, LD and Green.
    4. Labour are doing nothing in the constituency, they have an outside candidate, no leaflets yet, no signs, nothing.
    5. Orange diamonds are sprouting up everywhere; I've still yet to see any signs for any other party. Yes anecdotal, I know but it's never been like this before.
    6. The LD candidate is a well-known local man.
    7. Simon Hoare is a decent one-nation Tory but hardly a mover or a shaker, and his one-nation-ness will count against him with some on the right.

DYOR obviously but it could be close.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

Confirmed now

BREAKING

It will be interesting to see how the North Korean troops react to being in Russia/Russian controlled Ukraine. Few of them would have been able to dream of leaving NK before. Comparatively it's the free world.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,802

Not sure about some of the underlying constituencies results in the We Think MRP.

Guildford - Labour gain?

Oh dear. Well noticed. That is absolutely crazy! The LibDems are well on course to win Guildford.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Confirmed now

BREAKING

Do they have much choice in the matter at this point?

An opportune moment for Seoul to start lobbing missiles over Pyongyang and into the sea.
    Send the missiles to Ukraine and have them destroy the North Korean army in Donetsk.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Remember: invading is usually the easy part.

And it's the occupation that usually kills you.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
    And it is hard to consider but Putin will die. He might be like my dad and think he won't, but he will. And the world will be a better place.
  • Options
    edited June 26

TimS said:

"🆕
    @Moreincommon_

@TheNewsAgents

🔴 LAB 40% (-1)
    🔵 CON 23% (-2)
    🟣 REF UK 14% (-1)
    🟠 LIB DEM 11% (+1)
    🟢 GREEN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

That's JL Partners, with 25%, left as the only pollster giving a Tory share above 23%, I think.

My prediction was 29%.

Um.
    Yep outside MRPs that is.
    JLP - 25
    MiC, Norstat - 23
    WeThink - 22
    Savanta, Verian, Focaldata - 21
    Opinium - 20
    The rest 18 or 19
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

Calm down.
    ??

Doh - got it.
    Isn’t that what a scouse horse eats ?
  • Options
    A truly epic piece of science.

Analysis of Greek prehistoric combat in full body armour based on physiological principles: A series of studies using thematic analysis, human experiments, and numerical simulations

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0301494
    One of the oldest complete suits of European armour was discovered in 1960 near the village of Dendra, in Southern Greece, but it remained unknown whether this armour was suitable for extended use in battle or was purely ceremonial. This had limited our understanding of the ancient Greek–Late Bronze Age–warfare and its consequences that have underpinned the social transformations of prehistoric Europe and Eastern Mediterranean. In a series of archeo-physiological studies, merging knowledge in archaeology, history, human physiology, and numerical simulation, we provide supporting evidence that the Mycenaean armour found at Dendra was entirely compatible with use in extended combat, and we provide a free software enabling simulation of Late Bronze Age warfare. A group of special armed-forces personnel wearing a replica of the Dendra armour were able to complete an 11-hour simulated Late Bronze Age combat protocol that we developed from a series of studies based on the available evidence. Numerical simulation of the thermal exchanges in Late Bronze Age warfare extended this conclusion across different environmental conditions and fighting intensities. Our results support the notion that the Mycenaeans had such a powerful impact in Eastern Mediterranean at least partly as a result of their armour technology…

… As no historical accounts or descriptions survive from the Greek Late Bronze Age regarding the scope and use of armour of the Dendra type, we turned to a key–and only–detailed early account of warfare, battle, and single combat: Homer’s epic account of 10 days in the Trojan War, the Iliad. …