Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

8 days to go and Ipsos brings no good news for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,843
edited June 26 in General
8 days to go and Ipsos brings no good news for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

?NEW from @IpsosUK: Lab lead at 23/ Cons at joint record lowest share since 1978 ?Labour 42% (-1)Conservative 19% (-4)Reform UK 15% (+6) = highest with IpsosLib Dems 11% (+3)Greens 7% (-2)1402 GB adults by phone 21-24 Jun+/- from 31 May- 4 Junhttps://t.co/oaeX29zwGz

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333
    SKS super Maj nailed on
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,119
    Pollsters are absolutely all over the place with Reform.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,507
    Wagergate has reminded voters how much they despised the government during Partygate, with perhaps some PPE scandal as well. It is the idea that we are run by a bunch of chancers only out for themselves.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333
    Times Radio this morning were suggesting that some analysis of the YouGov MRP poll shows there was a difference of 130K between a super majority and a hung parliament.

A stronger argument for PR would be difficult to find
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181

Times Radio this morning were suggesting that some analysis of the YouGov MRP poll shows there was a difference of 130K between a super majority and a hung parliament.

Ahem

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/06/25/when-something-is-both-little-and-large/
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425

SKS super Maj nailed on

Baxtered, today's IPSOS poll gives

Con - 42
    Lab - 501
    Lib - 57
    Ref - 3
    Green - 2

Lab Majority 352.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    Cookie said:

Well, if Reform were surging then falling back post Farage's Ukraine positioning, hard to know where they are in the cycle.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,243
    Cookie said:

It must be really hard to poll. Grumpy low-trust people who don't like talking to pollsters, and they didn't run last time so you can't weight based on that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,991
    Cookie said:

Are they? Most of them seem to put the party between 15% and 19%.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,871

Wagergate has reminded voters how much they despised the government during Partygate, with perhaps some PPE scandal as well. It is the idea that we are run by a bunch of chancers only out for themselves.

I think there has been a serious failure by the media to decide on and promulgate a -gate name to events. Is it gamblegate? Wagergate? We need clarity!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

SKS super Maj nailed on

Con - 42
    Lab - 501
    Lib - 57
    Ref - 3
    Green - 2

Lab Majority 352.
    I stand to make my biggest ever gambling win if Labour exceed 500 seats (which is in hundreds, not thousands. But still). So this will do very nicely.
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 60
    Electoral Calculus on IPSOS showing Labour at just over 500 and Tories trailing the Lb Dems. Can’t see how the Tories can possibly get over 100 from where they now are. Many of their supporters have already voted so if the polls are anywhere near accurate, they are doomed towards an abysmal performance.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    edited June 26
    kyf_100 said:

SKS super Maj nailed on

Con - 42
    Lab - 501
    Lib - 57
    Ref - 3
    Green - 2

Lab Majority 352.
    It still seems surprising to me that Labour 500 seats is 13/1 or something on the Exchange.

I think Labour will probably end up at around 450 seats, but we’ve seen 500+ indicated in a lot of polls now. It would be one thing if it was one outlier but there’s been lots.

Obviously Baxter isn’t perfect but it really wouldn’t take much from where we are currently at to get to 500+ on the day.

Feels more like a 5/1 or 6/1 shot to me.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,998
    Just occurred to me this year might see three remarkable and potentially epochal political events in the west

The total destruction of the British Tories
    An absolute parliamentary majority for the hard/far right in France
    The re-election of POTUS Trump: and this time he means it

Perhaps we are all being simplistic in our analyses of political evolutions. Its not just a “rightwards surge” but nor is it “a nuanced mixed picture”

It’s not mixed at all. The voters are reaching for evermore extreme solutions and radical punishments. Mostly that’s far/hard right to punish incumbents but absolutely not always: see the UK

But everywhere there is anger and a willingness to think the unthinkable
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    A question or two on postal votes

IIRC, Postal votes were about 1 in every 5 in 2019 GE.

1) Do we have a rough sense on what it will be this year? Probably higher post COVID?

2) Can we guess roughly how many ballots have already been cast? I have a few older relatives who sent theirs off the day after they received them - I imagine a lot of postal voters do the same?

Interesting to consider that a lot of things like Gamblegate / Putingate might not be in the minds of voters who have already cast their ballots…
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,522
    Leon said:

Just occurred to me this year might see three remarkable and potentially epochal political events in the west

Perhaps we are all being simplistic in our analyses of political evolutions. Its not just a “rightwards surge” but nor is it “a nuanced mixed picture”

It’s not mixed at all. The voters are reaching for evermore extreme solutions and radical punishments. Mostly that’s far/hard right to punish incumbents but absolutely not always: see the UK

Your point that "voters are reaching for evermore extreme solutions and radical punishments" is surely correct. My worry is that, if Labour fail and the socially conservative voters do not like what they see, then a Farage or worse could storm in in 2029.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,379

This can and should only be done after the election not before. Using very crude figures, let's say a supermajority is Lab 450+, and hung parliament is Lab 320. That's 130 seats difference.

So for the claim to be true there would have to be with either of these results about 130 seats where the difference between the Tory and Lab (being first and second between them) averaged 1000 votes are thereabouts; and all 130 were won by the Tory (for a hung parliament) or Labour (for a supermajority). This won't happen, nor anything like it.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 292
    Leon said:

First and foremost no one ever says I'm voting for x because my father always did anymore
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    edited June 26
    Ghedebrav said:

On preparing for the evening, my default setting is BBC for these things. Like poor, poor Rishi we don't have Sky, so I guess my other option will be ITN?

I'll have a PB tab open as well ofc.

ITN is far, far superior to the BBC and has been for years. That BBC now have the hopeless LauraK as 'anchorwoman' can only add to their irrepressible malaise.

Meanwhile, ITN have Ozzy and Ballzy – two of the finest political pundits and a great double act.

DYOR.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105
    Leon said:

Whilst living standards stagnate and houses are unaffordable this will continue. The best thing that could happen to this country is a 40% house price crash.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,799

I think there has been a serious failure by the media to decide on and promulgate a -gate name to events. Is it gamblegate? Wagergate? We need clarity!
    Insidergate.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,591

Great post. Quite simply, the fundamentals for the Conservative Party are so much worse than many people might think.

A lot of people think ‘they will inevitably end up on 150-200 seats’ or close to that - but all indicators are so, so much worse for them than at comparable elections where they put up a decent showing on polling day itself.

I still think the Tories finishing 3rd in seats is very, very much in play.

The betting scandal has submerged their "Labour tax" play which is really all they have left. Add a large chunk of tactical voting and you could well be right. And all the evidence does suggest that there will be a large chunk of tactical voting....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,282

1) Do we have a rough sense on what it will be this year? Probably higher post COVID?

2) Can we guess roughly how many ballots have already been cast? I have a few older relatives who sent theirs off the day after they received them - I imagine a lot of postal voters do the same?

Interesting to consider that a lot of things like Gamblegate / Putingate might not be in the minds of voters who have already cast their ballots…

Definitely higher post covid. We got them then and still have them. Lots of other people will, I am sure.

But there were other things in people's minds. Mr Sunak has done well in keeping a steady flow of new stories and issues.
  • Options
    Interesting (because it chimes with my views!) article in the Telegraph:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/06/26/sir-keir-starmer-about-discover-just-how-lucky-he-really-is/

CBBTGRTF: the travails of the economy are somewhat overstated, and Labour will a) have slightly more room to manoeuvre than many think, and b) may also benefit from investment flight from the travails in France and the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425

kyf_100 said:

SKS super Maj nailed on

Con - 42
    Lab - 501
    Lib - 57
    Ref - 3
    Green - 2

Lab Majority 352.
    It still seems surprising to me that Labour 500 seats is 13/1 or something on the Exchange.

I think Labour will probably end up at around 450 seats, but we’ve seen 500+ indicated in a lot of polls now. It would be one thing if it was one outlier but there’s been lots.

Obviously Baxter isn’t perfect but it really wouldn’t take much from where we are currently at to get to 500+ on the day.

Feels more like a 5/1 or 6/1 shot to me.
    Yes, I've kept my £20 at 25/1. It's probably a lucky loser, but it's not worth cashing out for the 16ish quid profit I'd make at current prices.

The bragging rights if it actually comes in on the night are worth far more ;-)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,029
    Nigelb said:

Insidergate.
    I quite like Promulgate.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Are they? Most of them seem to put the party between 15% and 19%.
    You may be right; I confess this is basically an impression which seems to alternatively have them surging and fading away.
  • Options

No. A GE is 650 local elections, where everyone knows the rules. To come first in enough seats for a massive majority is to show that all the other parties came second or worse in those seats. It cannot happen in some undeserved way because of the number of seats and the need in all the ones you win to do better than all of the rest. This argument is tautological but still true.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,871
    Nigelb said:

Insidergate.
    Dategate
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,591
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

First and foremost no one ever says I'm voting for x because my father always did anymore
    I disagree, it's still quite common for people on the doorstep to tell me "we've always been a Labour family" - maybe less common than 20 years ago but such sentiments still exist.
  • Options

This spreadsheet from the electoral commission gives constituency information from 2019 including postal votes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-05/UKPGE%202019-%20Electoral%20Data-Website.xlsx&ved=2ahUKEwijr4q-mPmGAxWKSEEAHYw7CIsQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0pXGxmVyghaXYB44vCw9wr

The Sunderland seats had over 40% postal, with the lowest outside Northern Ireland in Birmingham just below 10% (Ruislip is an outlier at 7%).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    A pulchritude of polls this morning and afternoon.

As far as the Conservatives, we have JL Partners and More In Common who hold out at 25% while the others are all around 20% (plus or minus two). I've considered ahy this might be looking at some of the data - as to who is right, we have the @MarqueeMark sub sample which claims all the "oldies and crumblies" are being ignored by the pollsters but will stay loyal to the Conservatives while you have the pollsters who disagree.

The three Survation polls for GMB are fascinating - in the last three weeks, the Conservatives have dropped five from 23 to 18, Labour has remained unchanged, the LDs are up two, Reform up two and Others (could be pro-Gaza Independents?) up three.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,414
    edited June 26
    stodge said:

@TSE - seriously, why do you do this to me?

FPT

Afternoon all :)

Financing local Government is one of those issues which nobody, if they've got any sense, wants to go anywhere near. The fact we are dealing with a hastily imposed settlement brought in as a result of the overthrow of Margaret Thatcher speaks volumes.

30+ years on and the consequences of that stupidity are clear. We have a banding system which bears little or no resemblance to the value of the properties to which it relates and the main reason for its creation - to allow local authorities to fund themselves without having to rely on central Government largesse - has also failed to be addressed.

In some authorites, up to two thirds of expenditure is on the provision of care for vulnerable adults and children as well on children with Special Education Needs (SEN). SEN referrals have increased exponentially since the end of lockdown but the provision of suitable teaching accommodation and the supply of qualified teachers has not. The funding of transport for SEN children is a particular area of concern with many authorities cutting it for children over sixteen.

The central question is what do you want local councils to do? In theory, adult social care could be taken out of local authority control and run by a national care agency which would ensure adequate levels of residential care, specialist (including dementia) care and domiciliary care across the country based on the maxim the older population should be treated with respect and dignity and the care offer should provide that. At the same time, the agency should be promoting in-family care where possible and acting as a positive help for carers of all ages and types. Caring should be viewed as a vital part of family life and carers should be encouraged as much as possible (employers hsould be given huge tax breaks to employ carers).

How do you fund the rest of local Government? With the pressure off in terms of care, other functions can be looked at - we need local community hubs where a range of services and advice are available and very often just a place for the lonely and the alone to go and meet other people. This needs to be a 24 hour a day, seven day a week service provision - the message being if you're lonely, you don't have to be alone.

How this society deals with the alone and the lonely is reprehensible and a shame to us all. Sport, for example, should be leading on this getting people out and about providing free or discounted admission so those who have no social life can have the opportunity to live a little.

Back to funding? @Sandpit rails against property taxation and the truth is there is no fair form of local Government funding. The truth is those with high value properties are doing very well out of the current system and any changes will disadvantage them (and they will whinge) and benefit the providers of Council Tax software (who won't).

Easy. Abolish local government. Everything gets run from the centre and everyone gets the same. Massive efficiencies are made.

The cherry on the top is killing off local politics, so that local busybodies never get any power.
  • Options

stodge said:

FPT

Financing local Government is one of those issues which nobody, if they've got any sense, wants to go anywhere near. The fact we are dealing with a hastily imposed settlement brought in as a result of the overthrow of Margaret Thatcher speaks volumes.

30+ years on and the consequences of that stupidity are clear. We have a banding system which bears little or no resemblance to the value of the properties to which it relates and the main reason for its creation - to allow local authorities to fund themselves without having to rely on central Government largesse - has also failed to be addressed.

In some authorites, up to two thirds of expenditure is on the provision of care for vulnerable adults and children as well on children with Special Education Needs (SEN). SEN referrals have increased exponentially since the end of lockdown but the provision of suitable teaching accommodation and the supply of qualified teachers has not. The funding of transport for SEN children is a particular area of concern with many authorities cutting it for children over sixteen.

The central question is what do you want local councils to do? In theory, adult social care could be taken out of local authority control and run by a national care agency which would ensure adequate levels of residential care, specialist (including dementia) care and domiciliary care across the country based on the maxim the older population should be treated with respect and dignity and the care offer should provide that. At the same time, the agency should be promoting in-family care where possible and acting as a positive help for carers of all ages and types. Caring should be viewed as a vital part of family life and carers should be encouraged as much as possible (employers hsould be given huge tax breaks to employ carers).

How do you fund the rest of local Government? With the pressure off in terms of care, other functions can be looked at - we need local community hubs where a range of services and advice are available and very often just a place for the lonely and the alone to go and meet other people. This needs to be a 24 hour a day, seven day a week service provision - the message being if you're lonely, you don't have to be alone.

How this society deals with the alone and the lonely is reprehensible and a shame to us all. Sport, for example, should be leading on this getting people out and about providing free or discounted admission so those who have no social life can have the opportunity to live a little.

Back to funding? @Sandpit rails against property taxation and the truth is there is no fair form of local Government funding. The truth is those with high value properties are doing very well out of the current system and any changes will disadvantage them (and they will whinge) and benefit the providers of Council Tax software (who won't).

This deserves to be a header, so that it doesn't get lost in the flood of comments.
    Thank you but it would be part one - the second part is about the funding in terms of how it's raised and re-distributed and that's a can of worms you'd only find in the Costco discount aisle.

I haven't forgotten a visit to the bookshop - later in the year, my friend.
  • Options
    edited June 26

Ghedebrav said:

On preparing for the evening, my default setting is BBC for these things. Like poor, poor Rishi we don't have Sky, so I guess my other option will be ITN?

ITN is far, far superior to the BBC and has been for years. That BBC now have the hopeless LauraK as 'anchorwoman' can only add to their irrepressible malaise.

Meanwhile, ITN have Ozzy and Ballzy – two of the finest political pundits and a great double act.

DYOR.
    I feel sorry for ITV. They have to be so much better than the BBC to overcome people's general inertia/assumption that ITV are johnny-come-lately amateurs/feeling that the BBC 'must' be the place for this sort of thing/people's tellies defaulting to BBC1.
    And they are so much better, even factoring into account the bewildered idiocy of Robert Peston. And still the BBC win.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    stodge said:

As far as the Conservatives, we have JL Partners and More In Common who hold out at 25% while the others are all around 20% (plus or minus two). I've considered ahy this might be looking at some of the data - as to who is right, we have the @MarqueeMark sub sample which claims all the "oldies and crumblies" are being ignored by the pollsters but will stay loyal to the Conservatives while you have the pollsters who disagree.

The three Survation polls for GMB are fascinating - in the last three weeks, the Conservatives have dropped five from 23 to 18, Labour has remained unchanged, the LDs are up two, Reform up two and Others (could be pro-Gaza Independents?) up three.

The collective noun for a flock of polls is red. There are both greater and lesser redpoll days.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Leon said:

Let's hope people chill out a bit then and start thinking inside the box. It's there for a reason.
  • Options
    Chris Mason is pretty good imo.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,587
    stodge said:

On latest polls (non mrp) the ranges are (ignoring Goodwin)
    Con 18 to 25
    Lab 37 to 43
    LD 9 to 13
    Ref 13 to 19
    Green 5 to 9
    SNP 2 to 5
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,778
    algarkirk said:

No. A GE is 650 local elections, where everyone knows the rules. To come first in enough seats for a massive majority is to show that all the other parties came second or worse in those seats. It cannot happen in some undeserved way because of the number of seats and the need in all the ones you win to do better than all of the rest. This argument is tautological but still true.
    An argument for PR is that it allows people to vote FOR the party they want - and if that fails to vote AGAINST the one they really dislike.
    This assumes STV in multi-member constituencies, which allows the constituency link to be maintained..
  • Options

stodge said:

Con 18 to 25
    Lab 37 to 43
    LD 9 to 13
    Ref 13 to 19
    Green 5 to 9
    SNP 2 to 5
    So, mid range fun gives us
    Con 21.5
    Lab 40
    LD 11
    Ref 16
    Green 7
    SNP 3.5
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 87

Ghedebrav said:

DYOR.
    Based on previous elections:

ITV tend to announce many of the results faster - they don't wait for the declarations - albeit this time around there may be less in it where there are fewer safe seats. The other side of that though is that they show fewer declarations in favour of studio chat.

BBC (and Sky) have the results as they are declared and as a result tend to show a lot more declarations live, and have the numbers in line with each other.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,375
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Let us reach for the extreme solution of ... Sir Keir Starmer.
    Seems to be a day for preposterous hypotheses followed by an outlandish attempt to show that it flies.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Let's hope people chill out a bit then and start thinking inside the box. It's there for a reason.
    Chuckle.

But if we are all to think inside the box, the box really does need to be rather bigger.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711
    If you trust the polls then there is value buying Labour and selling the Tories on the spreads.

But I don't trust the polls. Neither do you. Neither do those punting on the spreads.
  • Options
    edited June 26
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Oh sure the same failed policies as before. No disrespect but living in Hampstead doesnt imply you have any real thirst for a change in the status quo outside woke virtue signalling.
  • Options
    Regarding the discussion of battery powered trains on the last thread, these are (for now) the type of battery most likely to be used:
    https://www.global.toshiba/ww/products-solutions/battery/scib.html

They are lower energy density than auto batteries, but much faster charging at high voltages (80% in around ten minutes), have much longer life cycles - and are safer.
    Also used in battery powered buses.

Car battery technology is catching up in both speed of recharging and expected usable lifetime, though. And once solid state batteries (which are more resistant to thermal runaway, and therefore much safer) become a commercial proposition, they will take over.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Oh sure the same failed policies as before. No disrespect but living in Hampstead doesnt imply you have any real thirst for a change in the status quo outside woke virtue signalling.
    If I'm into virtue signalling how come my Labour sticker is small and on an upstairs window?
  • Options
    Up to 15 Tories ‘being investigated by Gambling Commission over betting scandal’

Controversy has now cut through more with public than anger over PM’s D-Day departure, poll shows

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/26/election-betting-scandal-15-conservatives-investigation/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,814
    Is campaign canvassing essentially 'what I'm hearing on the doorsteps'?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711
    I've posted my postal vote. Last collection in 70 minutes from the local post box.

I love democracy!
  • Options

If you trust the polls then there is value buying Labour and selling the Tories on the spreads.

But I don't trust the polls. Neither do you. Neither do those punting on the spreads.

No skybet seat bands has 50 to 100 seats evens favourite.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,507
    Richardr said:

Ghedebrav said:

DYOR.

ITV tend to announce many of the results faster - they don't wait for the declarations - albeit this time around there may be less in it where there are fewer safe seats. The other side of that though is that they show fewer declarations in favour of studio chat.

BBC (and Sky) have the results as they are declared and as a result tend to show a lot more declarations live, and have the numbers in line with each other.
    I think in the past ITN has had to backtrack on the odd estimated result. In the overall scheme of things, especially if there is a landslide, but for constituency betting it is unhelpful.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I know you’re not the sharpest but reducing the Tories to 7 seats is quite the radical act
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816
    Too many klaxons. We're going to end up with inflation. Fog horns, vuvuzelas, bagpipes, Tuba in B flat major etc etc

BONG must be reserved to 10pm, election day.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If I'm into virtue signalling how come my Labour sticker is small and on an upstairs window?
    Maybe your next door neighbours are greens.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I know you’re not the sharpest but reducing the Tories to 7 seats is quite the radical act
    Not voting Tory - which is what you're talking about - isn't a radical act at all.
    (Unless you're voting RefUK instead.)

It's a fairly extreme consequence of FPTP, but has little or nothing to do with any sort of thinking the unthinkable type radicalism.

I thought you were sharper than that. Evidently not.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,860
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Sticker envy
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,618

stodge said:

Con 18 to 25
    Lab 37 to 43
    LD 9 to 13
    Ref 13 to 19
    Green 5 to 9
    SNP 2 to 5
    Con 21.5
    Lab 40
    LD 11
    Ref 16
    Green 7
    SNP 3.5
    Fed into ElCalc this gives:

Con 86
    Lab 457
    LD 56
    Ref 4
    Grn 2
    SNP 21
  • Options
    For reasons which are too fantastically obscure and complex to explain, I now have to get an emergency ferry back to the Quiberon peninsula so I can be at Jean Marie le Pen’s police station before 5pm
  • Options
    The Ann Summers Theatre of Dreams

EXCLUSIVE

🚨 Manchester United considering selling naming rights to Old Trafford as they seek to drive up revenues as part of Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s plans to refurbish Old Trafford or build a new stadium. Ticket price increases also under consideration.

https://x.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1805932992675643541
  • Options
    Farage says what he thinks of his prospective constituents.

#Clacton candidate hustings CANCELLED … because every candidate agreed to take part, with the exception of #Farage, who is happy to stand in front of a chosen Reform audience … but terrified of facing the actual residents of #Clacton.
    https://x.com/jdpoc/status/1805674424714096782
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,618
    edited June 26

Richardr said:

Ghedebrav said:

DYOR.

I think in the past ITN has had to backtrack on the odd estimated result. In the overall scheme of things, especially if there is a landslide, but for constituency betting it is unhelpful.
    I’ll probably flick between the two and settle on who is least irritating. No adverts is always a big draw for BBC though.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE

🚨 Manchester United considering selling naming rights to Old Trafford as they seek to drive up revenues as part of Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s plans to refurbish Old Trafford or build a new stadium. Ticket price increases also under consideration.

If I was a gazzilionaire, I'd buy the rights and call it Anfield.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,041
    @TSE

Nice header, but why do you/we focus on the bad polls for the Tories?

I accept that Ipsos and Survation have some pedigree, but Varian, JLP and MiC are all solid enough and members of the BPC. I appreciate that even they are not so great for the Blue team, but they do at least feed a little life into what otherwise would be the dried out corpse of the outgoing government.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,198

EXCLUSIVE

Even Mike Ashley gave up on the idea of renaming St James Park and it would be pointless because everyone would still call it Old Trafford.

Now if he ends up building a new stadium he can call that whatever he wants but the ancient crumbling mess that is Old Trafford will always be Old Trafford.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Not voting Tory - which is what you're talking about - isn't a radical act at all.

It's a fairly extreme consequence of FPTP, but has little or nothing to do with any sort of thinking the unthinkable type radicalism.

In my original comment I said “voters are reach for extreme solutions AND RADICAL PUNISHMENTS”

Thus, Britain. It doesn’t get more radical in terms of electoral punishments than everyone under 70 refusing to vote for you so your 200 year old party actually goes extinct even though it won a large majority in the last election

It is absolutely unprecedented. The hatred and scorn is off the dial. The polls are pointing to an extreme solution
  • Options
    North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month...
    https://x.com/jurgen_nauditt/status/1805871124388983109
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816
    Ghedebrav said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

When people throw virtue signalling as an accusation, 9 times out of 10 they’re just showing that they’re incapable of countenancing altruism.
    Is tipping virtue signalling?

This question cost my office an hour of intense discussion. Lots of dredged up economic theory. How about buying a big issue?
  • Options
    I would really like to know if Ipsos prompted for Reform this time. That would explain the big movement from Con to Ref. Otherwise it seems a little odd - and on its own bar PeoplePolling. If not then it really does show the Reform brand has cut through. It sets a vote out there that the Cons will not reach unless they make Nigel their leader. A decision which would not end well.

The Survaton poll is diabolical for the Cons. These are not cowboys - they have a very good track record. If this isn't an outlier corrected next time out then we need to consider how Sir Ed will perform at PMQs
  • Options
    Depending on whether they are running special polls early next week, we may start getting pollster 'final calls' from tomorrow evening- Techne tomorrow night, WeThink Friday, Opinium Saturday? (I think they'll run one to drop Weds eve)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

#Clacton candidate hustings CANCELLED … because every candidate agreed to take part, with the exception of #Farage, who is happy to stand in front of a chosen Reform audience … but terrified of facing the actual residents of #Clacton.

A blatant lie if you follow the tweets afterwards
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,041

No skybet seat bands has 50 to 100 seats evens favourite.
    The seat bands tend to be lower than the spreads because of the high risk/reward ratio of the latter.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,991
    FPT

Andy_JS said:

NEW: Sir Ed Davey says he placed a bet on the outcome of the 2010 General Election, on the number of seats the Lib Dems would win. He says he got it wrong and didn’t win anything.

The question is whether that is a legitimate bet to make. He didn’t know the answer.

V different from knowing the answer and placing a bet.

But then there is an open Q about whether politicians, often with access to privileged information, should be making political bets at all

https://x.com/mattuthompson/status/1805900651118964948

This is all getting a bit puritanical now imo. It can only be a matter of time before someone calls for politicians to be banned from betting on politics altogether.
    Footballers can't bet on football, jockeys can't bet on racing, so its hardly a preposterous suggestion.

I'd say if you are at, or expect to be at, cabinet level or above you shouldn't be betting on politics at all. At MP level or above, you shouldn't be betting on your side to do badly. If you know the result you shouldn't be betting. Beyond that I couldn't care much but if it was banned for MPs to bet on politics thats not ridiculous.
    I wouldn't have any of those restrictions.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 728
    Nigelb said:

Hmm. You don't have to cancel a hustings because not every candidate attends. As long as you've invited them you can just announce that X has refused to attend.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Ghedebrav said:

DYOR.
    I feel sorry for ITV. They have to be so much better than the BBC to overcome people's general inertia/assumption that ITV are johnny-come-lately amateurs/feeling that the BBC 'must' be the place for this sort of thing/people's tellies defaulting to BBC1.
    And they are so much better, even factoring into account the bewildered idiocy of Robert Peston. And still the BBC win.
    This is all so true. I find it baffling however that anyone could watch the inane ramblings of the unbearable walking press release LauraK and not conclude that the state broadcaster has fallen a long way since the days of John Cole and Professor Tony King.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Ghedebrav said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

When people throw virtue signalling as an accusation, 9 times out of 10 they’re just showing that they’re incapable of countenancing altruism.
    Is tipping virtue signalling?

This question cost my office an hour of intense discussion. Lots of dredged up economic theory. How about buying a big issue?
    No private acts of goodness arent virtue signalling. Virtue signalling is like when you proudly declare yourself as an anti racist for example to all and sundry. Trying to show you are a good person at no personal cost.
  • Options
    Focaldata will be doing a final MRP update at 2-3PM Monday theyve anounced, they seemed to think the recent movement might impact figures
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,866

stodge said:

Con 18 to 25
    Lab 37 to 43
    LD 9 to 13
    Ref 13 to 19
    Green 5 to 9
    SNP 2 to 5
    Con 21.5
    Lab 40
    LD 11
    Ref 16
    Green 7
    SNP 3.5
    So Con -23.2 from their GB score last time
    Lab +7.5
    LD -0.8
    Ref +13.9 from Brexit Party GB score
    Green +4.3

Con-Lab swing of 15.1%
    Con-LD swing of 11.2%
    Con-Ref swing of 18.5%
    Con-Grn swing of 13.7%

Ouch
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Too many klaxons. We're going to end up with inflation. Fog horns, vuvuzelas, bagpipes, Tuba in B flat major etc etc

BONG must be reserved to 10pm, election day.
    There were strident calls from some quarters for a GB NEWS VIEWERS POLL KLAXON the other day. @LostPassword knows all about that.
  • Options

@TSE

I accept that Ipsos and Survation have some pedigree, but Varian, JLP and MiC are all solid enough and members of the BPC. I appreciate that even they are not so great for the Blue team, but they do at least feed a little life into what otherwise would be the dried out corpse of the outgoing government.

I always try and focus on the Ipsos phone polls because of their 50 year pedigree and the fact their leader/party satisfaction ratings are very good pointers.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Chuckle.

But if we are all to think inside the box, the box really does need to be rather bigger.
    Fair comment. I'd be open to a slightly bigger Box. But not so big as to let simplistic nonsense or poisonous prejudice in.

NB: I wonder how the Overton Window relates to the Box? Is that how you get in or out before starting your thinking?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,417
    edited June 26

Focaldata will be doing a final MRP update at 2-3PM Monday theyve anounced, they seemed to think the recent movement might impact figures

Focaldata's current MRP I work out to be (Vote % and seats)
    23.50% (113) Con
    41.44% (451) Lab
    11.41% (50) Lib Dem
    5.15% (1) Green
    15.49% (0) Reform
    0.39% Plaid
    2.61% (16 between SNP and Plaid)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,374
    Cookie said:

Presumably because so much polling is now done online, and the tinfoil fruitcakes have lots of people living their lives on the internet
  • Options

@TSE

The question is why are we seeing such a wide divergence (the gap between 18% and 25% is vast in statistical terms). Is it methodology, sampling, weighting, re-allocation of Don't Knows?

I pointed to a huge discrepency in the over 65 vote shares between More In Common (40% for the Conservatives) and R&W (25%).

JL Partners has 43% Conservative share among the over 65s which explains its higher Conservative VI.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

In my original comment I said “voters are reach for extreme solutions AND RADICAL PUNISHMENTS”

Thus, Britain. It doesn’t get more radical in terms of electoral punishments than everyone under 70 refusing to vote for you so your 200 year old party actually goes extinct even though it won a large majority in the last election

It is absolutely unprecedented. The hatred and scorn is off the dial. The polls are pointing to an extreme solution
    Again, not voting for a party isn't much of a radical punishment; Labour look set to get a vote in the low 40% range, which isn't particularly extreme.

The only bit you might legitimately describe as 'radical' punishment is on the part those who decide to vote RefUK - and that's probably less than 20% of the electorate.

And is hatred and scorn off the scale ? Scorn levels are considerable, I'll grant you that. I haven't come across all that much hate.

Otherwise it's just an exhausted party getting shafted by FPTP. And since they've benefitted from it for so many years, I feel only a mild twinge of sympathy for the decent conservatives who might be looking at very little representation indeed for their views in the next Parliament.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

A blatant lie if you follow the tweets afterwards
    Is it ?
    "Terrified" is overegging it, but I think mine was fair comment.
    If I were running in a seat, I'd be campaigning there rather than claiming prior engagements.

What does @RochdalePioneers think ?
  • Options
    ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 49
    Nigelb said:

North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month...
    https://x.com/jurgen_nauditt/status/1805871124388983109

And the next target for Ukrainian ATACMS will be ...
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Richardr said:

Ghedebrav said:

DYOR.

I’ll probably flick between the two and settle on who is least irritating. No adverts is always a big draw for BBC though.
    My memory is there are no ads on any of them (including Sky and ITN)?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771
    biggles said:

stodge said:

FPT

Easy. Abolish local government. Everything gets run from the centre and everyone gets the same. Massive efficiencies are made.

The cherry on the top is killing off local politics, so that local busybodies never get any power.
    I'd vote for that.

Care should be the responsibility of the Department for Health and Social Care.
    SEN and other education needs should be the responsibility of the Department for Education.

While planning should be abolished and people should be free to do as they please on their own land, within national guidelines.

What do we need local politicians for? Just abolish them, and save a fortune!