Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sir Keir Starmer: The Corbyn slayer? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,842
edited June 25 in General
imageSir Keir Starmer: The Corbyn slayer? – politicalbetting.com

Corbynista 'Stats for Lefties' commissioned Survation poll in Islington North shows Labour's @PrafulNargund 14 points ahead of Jeremy Corbyn. pic.twitter.com/JrlrGmuare

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,178
    edited June 25
    SKS Jeremy Corbyn fans please explain!
  • Options
    Second, like Magic Grandad
  • Options
    Very amusing. Personal votes have limits, as many have found out to their cost.
  • Options
    Few Tories left. They will need to cross the house and sign up with Labour to deal with the one army of Farage with his one seat.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,822

SKS Jeremy Corbyn fans please explain!

Keir could win a huge majority on the same or lower vote than Corbyn (especially if turnout is low), and that's hilarious.

I never thought Corbyn's suspension would last, but he's so arrogant and vain he gave Starmer all he needed.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221
    Ell Folan has just published some more detail from the poll:

Dear all

The poll has now been published. Here are the headline figures:

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Liberal Democrats 7% (-9)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

The results for the additional questions were as follows:

Q. How favourably or unfavourably do you feel towards Jeremy Corbyn?

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Net rating: +21

Q. How favourably or unfavourably do you feel towards Keir Starmer?

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Net rating: 0

Q. If you had the choice to vote between only Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour candidate, who would you vote for?

Jeremy Corbyn (Independent) 48%
    Praful Nargund (Labour) 40%
    Don't know 13%

Excluding undecided voters:

Jeremy Corbyn (Independent) 55%
    Praful Nargund (Labour) 45%

Q. Which of the following statements comes closest to your view?

50% ~ The decision by the Labour Party to prevent Jeremy Corbyn from standing as the Labour candidate in Islington North was INCORRECT

35% ~ The decision by the Labour Party to prevent Jeremy Corbyn from standing as the Labour candidate in Islington North was CORRECT

Full data tables are available here: https://t.co/rkQS2MzgJu

Thank you again for making this possible. Further analysis can be found in an article on the Novara Media website: https://novaramedia.com/2024/06/25/shock-poll-shows-its-down-to-the-wire-for-corbyn-in-islington-north/

Kind regards
    E
  • Options
    Speaking of Nige will he find a way to get the attention on him tomorrow andoff the BBC debate? Someone putting their fish and chips in his face. He will find a way.
  • Options
    Diane will take over his seat if necessary.
  • Options

Very amusing. Personal votes have limits, as many have found out to their cost.

Most fail to keep their deposit, he should at least put up a decent showing.

I don't know why he didn't go for Mayor. When he didn't I assumed he would never run against Labour, but then he expelled himself regardless.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,361
    Poland score their penalty equaliser, at the second attempt
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,126
    Surely Stats for Lefties will have to find a way to spin this so that they are actually winning actually. As they have so many previous election defeats victories
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    kle4 said:

sbjme19 said:

Had a look at the Press Association list of declaration times. Not many before 3am..looks like a long night. Hopefully returning officers erring on the side of caution because of boundary changes and so many candidates.

I don't think many care about speed.

If they could, most would count the next day I bet.

And I joke about that, but a PM finding out their fate at 4am in a run down leisure centre next to a dude dressed as Elmo is worth any discomfort at late night counting.
    Strangely we don't have a clash with local elections (there are a few local by elections as always) so you'd think the results would come quicker. I remember in 2010 the GE clashed with the London local elections and it was a really long wait for the results from Newham.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Meanwhile Austria lead 3:2, meaning England could play Netherlands next
  • Options
    Group D is utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 288
    AlsoLei said:

Dear all

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Q. If you had the choice to vote between only Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour candidate, who would you vote for?

Don't know 13%

50% ~ The decision by the Labour Party to prevent Jeremy Corbyn from standing as the Labour candidate in Islington North was INCORRECT

35% ~ The decision by the Labour Party to prevent Jeremy Corbyn from standing as the Labour candidate in Islington North was CORRECT

Thank you again for making this possible. Further analysis can be found in an article on the Novara Media website: https://novaramedia.com/2024/06/25/shock-poll-shows-its-down-to-the-wire-for-corbyn-in-islington-north/

Kind regards
    E

So a friendly sample for Corbyn but he's still behind
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Dear all

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Don't know 13%

Kind regards
    E

The forced choice question in bold will give the Corbyn campaign plenty of motivation to keep on campaigning hard for the next week...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he wins, and there are very few Tories left, perhaps they could make him acting leader? After all, he's voted with them often enough.

His foreign policy would make him a better fit for Reform.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,567
    IanB2 said:

That's much better than Austria.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    If France fail to win their group, does that put them on Germany and Spain’s side of the draw? ….. ??
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

sbjme19 said:

Had a look at the Press Association list of declaration times. Not many before 3am..looks like a long night. Hopefully returning officers erring on the side of caution because of boundary changes and so many candidates.

I don't think many care about speed.

If they could, most would count the next day I bet.

And I joke about that, but a PM finding out their fate at 4am in a run down leisure centre next to a dude dressed as Elmo is worth any discomfort at late night counting.
    Strangely we don't have a clash with local elections (there are a few local by elections as always) so you'd think the results would come quicker. I remember in 2010 the GE clashed with the London local elections and it was a really long wait for the results from Newham.
    And always nailbiting tension over the result in Newham...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,010
    edited June 25
    Looks like there’s a Lib Dem squeeze going on there. A lot of Lib Dems found Corbyn problematic in 2019.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,786
    Screw Jake Tapper, get this guy to moderate.
    https://x.com/smalls2672/status/1805629483644305798
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

AlsoLei said:

What we really need now is for the SNP candidate in Aberdeenshire North & Moray East to have placed bets on the Tories/Lib Dems to win the seat.

lol - I can emphatically confirm that my only bet is on myself to win. And at 66/1 it’s hardly me cheating the system to make money…
    Isn’t what you have just confessed to, identical to what the Labour candidate has been sacked for?

Why on earth would you bet on yourself? What’s the point?

I am so disappointed in you 🥺
    The Labour candidate was betting against himself - that's the difference. It gives him an incentive to throw the result.

And the fact that he's not saying how much it was for suggests that it was for a substantial amount.
    “The Labour candidate was betting against himself - that's the difference. It gives him an incentive to throw the result.”

Disgusting. Utterly disgusting. What sort of people do that?

He should be jailed and struck off.

Do we all agree placing huge amount on yourself to lose is far more disgusting than the Conservative Party bets?

If it wasn’t for the furore over the Tory bets, this Labour sleaze would never have come to light would it?

How much more Labour sleaze not come to light, still out there? 😠
    There's Starmer's curry and Rayner's house. Isn't that enough to be getting on with?
    You don’t understand just how HUGE this moment is in this election campaign.

The only thing that was going to put Labour a Wapping 14 or 15 points clear of Tories on July 4th was the hope they would be different than the sleaze and incompetence we have seen in recent years, that was Labours USP for double digit leads, admit it was THE decisive perceived difference between them and the Tories in this election.

BUT, ITS GONE. That USP and reason for voting Labour has gone, it’s no more, it cannot possibly come back before polling day.

Labour candidate in election betting scandal is a huge moment in this election campaign.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,752
    edited June 25
    AlsoLei said:

Dear all

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Don't know 13%

Kind regards
    E

It's quite weird that Labour have a lower percentage in the bold question than on the straight "who you gonna vote for?" I suppose it may be that some people (rather implausibly) feel they need to vote Labour to keep the Tories out in a seat they've no chance of winning. Or it may be priming from the "Do you like Jez? Do you like Keith?" questions preceding it.

Less surprising that Corbyn would be up in that question - you'd guess quite a lot of Greens in particular, but also residual supporters of other parties, would quite like to slap Labour for whatever reason.

Also, is reporting "Corbyn 29 (+29)" really right? He was, after all, the candidate for Labour last time, so didn't actually get 0. But I'm splitting hairs and don't know what the alternative is.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Agreed. There is also a scenario developing where France, Germany, Portugal and Spain all end up in the same side of the draw.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Looks like there’s a Lib Dem squeeze going on there. A lot of Lib Dems found Corbyn problematic in 2019.

Yep, I'm a Lib Dem voter by preference but will be voting Nargund here. It'll be my first time ever voting for the winning party if Labour do win!
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 291

AlsoLei said:

What we really need now is for the SNP candidate in Aberdeenshire North & Moray East to have placed bets on the Tories/Lib Dems to win the seat.

lol - I can emphatically confirm that my only bet is on myself to win. And at 66/1 it’s hardly me cheating the system to make money…
    Isn’t what you have just confessed to, identical to what the Labour candidate has been sacked for?

The Labour candidate was betting against himself - that's the difference. It gives him an incentive to throw the result.

And the fact that he's not saying how much it was for suggests that it was for a substantial amount.
    “The Labour candidate was betting against himself - that's the difference. It gives him an incentive to throw the result.”

Do we all agree placing huge amount on yourself to lose is far more disgusting than the Conservative Party bets?

If it wasn’t for the furore over the Tory bets, this Labour sleaze would never have come to light would it?

There's Starmer's curry and Rayner's house. Isn't that enough to be getting on with?

The only thing that was going to put Labour a Wapping 14 or 15 points clear of Tories on July 4th was the hope they would be different than the sleaze and incompetence we have seen in recent years, that was Labours USP for double digit leads, admit it was THE decisive perceived difference between them and the Tories in this election.

BUT, ITS GONE. That USP and reason for voting Labour has gone, it’s no more, it cannot possibly come back before polling day.

Labour candidate in election betting scandal is a huge moment in this election campaign.
    You wish, no one apart from political nerds, will even notice it, their all watching the football
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,242

AlsoLei said:

I'll take your word for it. In a post Boris Johnson world, scandals aren't what they were.
  • Options
    TimS said:

The Lib Dem squeeze is a long term and wide spread condition.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

Dear all

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Don't know 13%

Kind regards
    E

It's quite weird that Labour have a lower percentage in the bold question than on the straight "who you gonna vote for?" I suppose it may be that some people (rather implausibly) feel they need to vote Labour to keep the Tories out in a seat they've no chance of winning. Or it may be priming from the "Do you like Jez? Do you like Keith?" questions preceding it.

Less surprising that Corbyn would be up in that question - you'd guess quite a lot of Greens in particular, but also residual supporters of other parties, would quite like to slap Labour for whatever reason.

Also, is reporting "Corbyn 29 (+29)" really right? He was, after all, the candidate for Labour last time, so didn't actually get 0. But I'm splitting hairs and don't know what the alternative is.
    Naming Corbyn but referring only to "the Labour candidate" probably helped sow confusion on that question too...
  • Options
    Austria heading for a favourable next match, it seems
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,464
    Excellent from Austria.
  • Options
    stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

I'm not sure it's the same as Michael Tabor walking up to Star Sports pitch at Ascot and having £50k on the Juddmonte horse in a race where he has a runner.

As I've said, the stupidity was having the bet publicly - if you want to bet against yourself, don't do it yourself.
    Oh Stodge. You are dealing only in the stupidity and incompetence of getting caught - not the perception of sleaze and corruption of betting on other runners when you are in a race yourself.

It’s not okay to sneakily get away with it, as you suggest becuase the “it” part of it is wrong, not just morally, but what about other punters bets, when someone has bet heavily on themselves to lose, and is throwing it. It’s fraud.
  • Options

Excellent from Austria.

Especially given how little flat land they have to practice on.
  • Options
    edited June 25

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Agreed. There is also a scenario developing where France, Germany, Portugal and Spain all end up in the same side of the draw.
    And Belgium if they come second tomorrow. And England if they come second tonight...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,280

stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

I'm not sure it's the same as Michael Tabor walking up to Star Sports pitch at Ascot and having £50k on the Juddmonte horse in a race where he has a runner.

As I've said, the stupidity was having the bet publicly - if you want to bet against yourself, don't do it yourself.
    Oh Stodge. You are dealing only in the stupidity and incompetence of getting caught - not the perception of sleaze and corruption of betting on other runners when you are in a race yourself.

It’s not okay to sneakily get away with it, as you suggest becuase the “it” part of it is wrong, not just morally, but what about other punters bets, when someone has bet heavily on themselves to lose, and is throwing it. It’s fraud.
    OTOH it could be interpreted as redundancy insurance. Which is a form of gambling much touted by respectable building societies in the 1980s, as I well recall.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

I'll take your word for it. In a post Boris Johnson world, scandals aren't what they were.
    The Tory bets if proved are insider trading. The Labour betting sleaze in this election is MATCH FIXING. Infinitely a more serious crime.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

The Tory bets if proved are insider trading. The Labour betting sleaze in this election is MATCH FIXING. Infinitely a more serious crime.
    Whatever! So you woke up in one of your contrarian mindsets today then.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

There’s no food for rabbits on the moon. You’re just hungry.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

And Belgium if they come second tomorrow. And England if they come second tonight...
    We have to win
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

You're injure yourself with this ramping.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 494

stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

Owners can bet. Jockeys cannot. Craig is analogously a jockey.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

No, it could be insider trading. I had this conversation with David Herdson a few days ago:

https://x.com/DavidHerdson/status/1801545772657147940

@DavidHerdson
    No.

I don't need hypotheticals: I've seen pre-close of poll postal vote returns in the past which I could have used to place bets. I didn't.

(Yes, it would be very illegal to do so but that wouldn't stop some people; it would be hard to prove cause and event)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Thoughts and prayers for Moon Rabbit.

A Conservative cabinet minister claimed that he won more than £2,000 betting on a July general election.

Shortly after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced the election date, Scottish Secretary Alister Jack told the BBC he had made £2,100 after betting on June and July election dates. He claimed one of the bets was placed at odds of 25/1.

Last week, Mr Jack told the BBC the comments were “a joke… I was pulling your leg”.

Today, the Scottish Secretary said in a statement he “did not place any bets on the date of the general election during May”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czkk0d19kgdo
  • Options

Are you so high on hopia you cannot read this room?

In your constituency, witches were burnt at the stake for far less.

Can you not sense the jeopardy you are in?

“Ha ha ha, you can’t burn me at the stake, it’s so obvious I am not a witch. Someone has to be guilty of actual witchcraft to be burnt at a stake.”
  • Options
    I have a free bet on over 3.5 goals in tonight's match.

My question is how this differs from over 3 goals?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333

not a lot

nor from under 4
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AlsoLei said:

No, it could be insider trading. I had this conversation with David Herdson a few days ago:

https://x.com/DavidHerdson/status/1801545772657147940

@DavidHerdson
    No.

I don't need hypotheticals: I've seen pre-close of poll postal vote returns in the past which I could have used to place bets. I didn't.

(Yes, it would be very illegal to do so but that wouldn't stop some people; it would be hard to prove cause and event)
    That would be a very stupid basis to place a bet anyway, unless the verifiers were not doing their job properly. Any accurate prediction based on that activity would be pure coincidence.
  • Options

not a lot

nor from under 4
    So why the wording? Are there languages in which more than 3 includes 3?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,962
    I think Kevin Craig should be taught a jolly good lesson by the electors by being elected so he loses his bet.
  • Options

“Ha ha ha, you can’t burn me at the stake, it’s so obvious I am not a witch. Someone has to be guilty of actual witchcraft to be burnt at a stake.”
    Yes. Seriously dangerous conversation. The gap between the Tory bets and Craig is much wider than between Craig and Rochdale.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    Kevin Craig runs a lobbying firm and his company was behind Responsible Gambling Week
  • Options

But I'm not actually holding a bet. On anything.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,650
    AlsoLei said:

TimS said:

Yep, I'm a Lib Dem voter by preference but will be voting Nargund here. It'll be my first time ever voting for the winning party if Labour do win!
    If the Lib Dem vote is being squeezed in this part of London, but they are still rising in the overall polls, it still suggests that their vote will be very efficient in their target seats.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,412

not a lot

nor from under 4
    A half goal is the one you should be awarded, but is struck off because of the stupid modern interpretation of the handball law.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,897

AlsoLei said:

In your mind, yes.

In the mind of the average voter, no.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,717
    My class was glum when I pulled out Austria in the school sweep.
    They reckoned without my strategic genius.
  • Options

But I'm not actually holding a bet. On anything.
    Exactly what a guilty witch would say!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

I know, as a conservative (of some sort), you are desperate to whip this into some kind of anti-Labour frenzy to drive millions of voters back to the blue team.

Seriously?

Kevin Craig has been a fool and Starmer has moved quickly - the Conservatives will probably hold the seat after this. Is it some sort of election game-changer? Hardly.

Tomorrow's debate is of far greater significance to the outcome than this minor squall.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I think Kevin Craig should be taught a jolly good lesson by the electors by being elected so he loses his bet.

And then recalled and losing so he can’t be an MP either.
  • Options
    kjh said:

From what I can see the guy was running to win. And looked to have a decent chance to do so. He wasn't even specifically acting to lose. "For profit". Having stuck 100 large into the party wanting it to win.

Have never done it, but is this a classic covering bet?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,786

AlsoLei said:

This is what you said about VAT on schools.

I don’t think it will make much difference to be honest although some people may lump it in with the insider betting when it’s not the same.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

AlsoLei said:

I don’t think it will make much difference to be honest although some people may lump it in with the insider betting when it’s not the same.
    I agree it’s not remotely the same, it’s match fixing, it far worse.
  • Options
    edited June 25

kjh said:

From what I can see the guy was running to win. And looked to have a decent chance to do so. He wasn't even specifically acting to lose. "For profit". Having stuck 100 large into the party wanting it to win.

Did I hear the other day that in that famous 1981 Headingly test, before my time, that on the penultimate day some of the Australians bet on England to win?

Not sure that would pass muster nowadays!

Edit: yep here we are:

Just Not Cricket: The Day Australia Bet On Themselves to Lose the Ashes

https://www.tomharris.org.uk/bookmakers/just-not-cricket-the-day-australia-bet-on-themselves-to-lose-the-ashes/

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,481
    AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Dear all

Labour 43% (-21)
    Corbyn 29% (+29)
    Green Party 7% (-1)
    Reform UK 6% (+5)
    Conservatives 6% (-4)

Favourable 55%
    Unfavourable 33%

Favourable 39%
    Unfavourable 39%

Don't know 13%

Kind regards
    E

The forced choice question in bold will give the Corbyn campaign plenty of motivation to keep on campaigning hard for the next week...
    Amazingly paradoxical results.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,010
    stodge said:

stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

I know, as a conservative (of some sort), you are desperate to whip this into some kind of anti-Labour frenzy to drive millions of voters back to the blue team.

Seriously?

Kevin Craig has been a fool and Starmer has moved quickly - the Conservatives will probably hold the seat after this. Is it some sort of election game-changer? Hardly.

Tomorrow's debate is of far greater significance to the outcome than this minor squall.
    Tomorrow’s debate is a last opportunity for Sunak and I expect he might go a bit OTT and angry. His handlers will need to be trying to keep him calm. His best hope is that Starmer does something catastrophic.
  • Options
    Four arrested for aggravated trespass at Rishi's Pad
  • Options
    Heathener said:

kjh said:

Did I hear the other day that in that famous 1981 Headingly test, before my time, that on the penultimate day some of the Australians bet on England to win?

500/1. Lillee and I think Marsh?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Heathener said:

kjh said:

Yup. DK Lillee and RW Marsh
  • Options

Four arrested for aggravated trespass at Rishi's Pad

Good.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,962

kjh said:

Agree. My comment was a joke. He would clearly like to win.
  • Options
    A Conservative politician has become the fifth party figure to be investigated by the gambling watchdog for allegedly placing a suspicious bet on the general election date, as the developing scandal continued to overshadow Rishi Sunak’s campaign.

The Gambling Commission has informed Russell George, a Tory member of the Welsh parliament who represents the same constituency as Sunak’s closest parliamentary aide Craig Williams, that he is part of its inquiry.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/25/election-betting-fifth-tory-investigated-in-growing-scandal
  • Options

A Conservative politician has become the fifth party figure to be investigated by the gambling watchdog for allegedly placing a suspicious bet on the general election date, as the developing scandal continued to overshadow Rishi Sunak’s campaign.

The Gambling Commission has informed Russell George, a Tory member of the Welsh parliament who represents the same constituency as Sunak’s closest parliamentary aide Craig Williams, that he is part of its inquiry.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/25/election-betting-fifth-tory-investigated-in-growing-scandal

Nope. All the focus is on Starmer now.

He's a bad'un
  • Options

Nope. All the focus is on Starmer now.

He's a bad'un
    Ha. You spin out deflection tactics.

If you rise from 66/1 to win due a series of peculiar fortune, it can only be down to witchcraft. And Winning would be all the proof needed.

The Devil himself is riding through this election. Mark my words!
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Here’s a piece on that 500/1 bet placed by two Aussies that they would lose the 1981 test match.

It’s probably an unsavoury topic because it’s one of the greatest turnarounds in English sporting history but there would have been some eyebrows raised nowadays I think.

https://www.tomharris.org.uk/bookmakers/just-not-cricket-the-day-australia-bet-on-themselves-to-lose-the-ashes/

• Options

Heathener said:

AlsoLei said:

I agree it’s not remotely the same, it’s match fixing, it far worse.
    You are getting very close to making a rather serious accusation you probably cannot prove.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,507
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,973
    TOPPING said:
    Vote Green in CS&NI.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Thoughts and prayers for Moon Rabbit.

A Conservative cabinet minister claimed that he won more than £2,000 betting on a July general election.

Shortly after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced the election date, Scottish Secretary Alister Jack told the BBC he had made £2,100 after betting on June and July election dates. He claimed one of the bets was placed at odds of 25/1.

Last week, Mr Jack told the BBC the comments were “a joke… I was pulling your leg”.

Today, the Scottish Secretary said in a statement he “did not place any bets on the date of the general election during May”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czkk0d19kgdo

What’s this? Scotch mist?

Read the room. The Tory betting scandal is now jointly owned by Labour.

Labours USP as being different, is now dead.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423
    Heathener said:

Here’s a piece on that 500/1 bet placed by two Aussies that they would lose the 1981 test match.

It’s probably an unsavoury topic because it’s one of the greatest turnarounds in English sporting history but there would have been some eyebrows raised nowadays I think.

It's mentioned in every documentary I've ever seen about that series, so it's hardly a dirty little secret. Marsh and Lillee were pom-haters extraordinaire, so it was always regarded as far-fetched that they'd deliberately under perform to lose an Ashes match.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Heathener said:

Why are you talking about this like it’s new? It’s one of the most discussed events in English sporting history; including the betting and the drinking on the flight over. There’s not a lot left to say.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,973
    Heathener said:

I've known about this since about 1995.
  • Options
    TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

AlsoLei said:

Seriously?

Tomorrow’s debate is a last opportunity for Sunak and I expect he might go a bit OTT and angry. His handlers will need to be trying to keep him calm. His best hope is that Starmer does something catastrophic.
    He could do worse than pop half a valium an hour beforehand. Better for him to be too relaxed than risk getting wound up.

The Tories best hope right now is that Starmer drops the ming vase, or that Farage shoots his mouth off again. Sunak's proven that his attempts to change the narrative don't work, and he's probably wise to have stopped trying over the past week and a half.
  • Options

They essentially do it that way as it's just a bit easier in terms of how it reads on screen etc to say "Over 3.5/Under 3.5" than "Over 3/Less than or equal to 3". That's just the convention for a range of over/under bets.
  • Options

Heathener said:

It's mentioned in every documentary I've ever seen about that series, so it's hardly a dirty little secret. Marsh and Lillee were pom-haters extraordinaire, so it was always regarded as far-fetched that they'd deliberately under perform to lose an Ashes match.
    And we won the series 3-1. The change was freeing up Botham from the captaincy so he could perform, and bringing in the specialist captain. Headingly was an amazing spectacle but Old Trafford was the turnaround.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Heathener said:

Why are you talking about this like it’s new? It’s one of the most discussed events in English sporting history; including the batting and the drinking on the flight over. There’s not a lot left to say.
    c.c. @Stark_Dawning

Oh just interesting to those of us who weren’t alive or old enough to watch cricket at the time! In the light of recent match fixing scandals and the idea that this Labour candidate has somehow match fixed (see above)

Just a curious situation which nowadays would have probably raised more than eyebrows.

But clearly suggesting the stunning 1981 England Headingley victory was anything other than a Botham-Willis triumph is to touch a sacred cow.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,481
    There's an interesting question here for anyone who bets.

When the story originally broke, some people here were saying quite confidently that betting based on "inside information" was not illegal, unlike insider share trading.

Now it seems to be accepted that potentially it can be cheating, and therefore illegal. But does that mean that anyone who bets while taking account of information not in the public domain is cheating? And if not, where do you draw the line?
  • Options

Heathener said:

kjh said:

500/1. Lillee and I think Marsh?
    The quote was along the lines, "500-1 is just crazy odds in a two horse race". Which was true.

I don't think the bookies made any fuss over it when paying out, nobody really thought they'd played any differently over it, and it all blew over pretty quickly as most people felt it was no big deal really.

Funny how things change.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,072

Did you hear about the Indian tennis player who bet against himself?

Vijay Arbitrage.

Don’t you have to be over 50 to get that one?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

I've known about this since about 1995.
    I think Lillee seems to have written about it in 1984