Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s talk about gender politics – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,836
edited June 25 in General
Let’s talk about gender politics – politicalbetting.com

The Farage gender gap could well be a factor that stops Reform winning seats outside Clacton. It seems persistent across most polls and pollsters. https://t.co/PTILjNtxQv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,548
    Testes?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,253
    First!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,560

A very mature and good response from Wes Streeting on the trans issue I thought.

I do think Labour will put the culture wars to one side, which can only be a good thing.

Has he realised that women cannot have a penis
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,072
    Senior Tories call for ban on political bets by MPs after election scandal

Iain Duncan Smith and Tobias Ellwood make case for new rules as questions raised over £500 wager

Senior Conservatives and campaigners are calling for a ban on political bets by MPs, as the Gambling Commission was urged to look into another £500 wager connected with the growing election gambling scandal.

The former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said parties should examine the rules when parliament returns amid growing outrage over Tory candidates and aides allegedly staking money on politics. The former defence minister Tobias Ellwood also said there should be new restrictions.

The Conservatives have launched their own inquiry into whether politicians or officials gambled on the timing of the election. Rishi Sunak was forced to deny having placed any bets himself and told reporters he was not aware of any further candidates under scrutiny.

“We’ve been conducting our own internal inquiries and of course will act on any relevant findings or information from that and pass it on to the Gambling Commission,” he said.

The Gambling Commission has been urged to investigate a flurry of unusual activity around the time Sunak called the election, an industry source told the Guardian.

It includes a bet of £504, placed on the Sunday before the election was called, that Sunak would still be PM before the 2024 election. The implication is that the punter may have known that the election call was imminent, thus giving the Tory party no time to replace Sunak.

Marginal odds meant the punter stood to gain only £35 from the bet. Details of the bet have been provided to the commission by a professional gambler.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/senior-tories-call-for-ban-on-political-bets-by-mps-election-date
  • Options
    You can all thank me now for loading you up with the image of Sir Keir wearing a condom.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,717
    Watched the Peston show last night for the first time in my life. It was very good. Steve Baker was honest. Wes Streeting - first time I’ve listened to him - was very impressive.

In other news, as reported by Sky News, lots of people saying that that photo from the Taylor Swift Eras tour was ‘the’ standout moment of the campaign for Keir Starmer. It cut through with youngsters and parents of youngsters. As spotted by yours truly ;) It was a beautiful photo of the couple and resonated.

Probably even more than John Major at B&Q in 1992. It’s about having your finger on the pulse of the public.

Mods please note: this photo was deleted by me from the other thread so this is my 1 for the day ;) xx
  • Options

A very mature and good response from Wes Streeting on the trans issue I thought.

I do think Labour will put the culture wars to one side, which can only be a good thing.

I 100% agree. It was sooooooo good to hear. He was very sensible. I was very impressed.
  • Options
    Thinking about Labour falling short by 1 seat. Although I feel they will have a majority. What if a deal is struck with the Lib Dems. Coalition part two! What policies would the Lib Dem insist on being adopted? Would this team up work better than Cameron Clegg?
  • Options

You can all thank me now for loading you up with the image of Sir Keir wearing a condom.

I do wish you’d drop the lewd stuff tbf. It just comes across as schoolboy smuttiness which is hardly endearing to the people in this thread that you are apparently speaking about. It encourages other men to make this a less and less inclusive place for women, and more like a football terrace.

Constructive comment.

xx
  • Options
    Good morning all. Down in the South-west. Didn’t see or hear the Nuremberg Farage rally.

9 days of the campaign to go including today.

Election Day does not count, sorry @IanB2
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Fun in France. The New Popular Front are having to go out of their way to say its leader Jean-Luc Melenchon will not be the Prime Minister if they win. While he leads the alliance he is not that popular with the electorate.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/jean-luc-melenchon-l-impopulaire-du-nouveau-front-de-gauche-20240624
  • Options
    Talking of which, how do peeps spend Election Day? I always find it a weird one when the news channels all go totally silent on election coverage.

I’ve lined up a big National Trust dog walk back in Surrey with friends.

Will probably try and have a late late siesta c 4 or 5 pm to try and help me stay up late.

Others of you?

(Not the party workers - we know what you’ll be doing!)
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Oh for fuck's sake. These people need to be jailed for life.

Celebrity stag put down after hikers feed it croissants

‘Local legend’ Callum euthanised after its health deteriorated, with locals blaming tourists for feeding it with snacks from their hands

A stag made famous on social media has had to be put down after it was fed junk food by hikers.

Callum, described as a “well-known character” in the north-west Scottish Highlands, had to be euthanised after developing health problems.

The animal’s willingness to approach visitors in the car park of Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve and eat from their hands led it to become a popular draw for those on the North Coast 500 route and earned the creature a celebrity status online.

Videos posted on YouTube show Callum being fed croissants and Rice Krispies, as well as healthier snacks such as strawberries and apples.

But after the National Trust for Scotland announced that it had been forced to have Callum put down, locals expressed concern that the stag’s access to snacks was to blame for its deteriorating health.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/23/hikers-junk-food-celebrity-scottish-highlands-stag-death/
  • Options
    Wes is ok. Sometimes he also smiles and has a sense of humour. When Starmer and Sunak clashed at the ITV debate he was there after and said 5 more weeks of this with a smile on his face. Maybe he also knew Labour were going to win.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,307
    Of the list before, I think 'appeasement tankie' is probably closest to my own tankie views, but it didn't go into much detail so I'm not sure. I am basically of the mind that the UK should give no more than moral, financial (with strict limits) refugee, and at most naval support to sides in territorial conflicts on the continent. Really I am an 18th century radical patriot tankie.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 139
    It would be interesting to understand why Reform has such a wide gender spread. Given the split of the DKs on paper this looks like good news for Labour and bad news for Tories and Reform. Most DKs are female and they tend to lean left not right.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,230

I wonder if he will support these women who have been abandoned by their own union, forced to change in front of a man.

https://x.com/treesey/status/1805219358676812103?s=61
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,786
    Fpt

Interesting piece on Jezza which folk will no doubt accept/reject based on existing views.

Some valuable takeaways, not least of which is that some voters may not even realise that Corbyn is no longer Labour. Also Labour seem very far from throwing the kitchen sink at Islington North.

https://tinyurl.com/yc5ukj8j
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,053

Senior Tories call for ban on political bets by MPs after election scandal

Iain Duncan Smith and Tobias Ellwood make case for new rules as questions raised over £500 wager

Senior Conservatives and campaigners are calling for a ban on political bets by MPs, as the Gambling Commission was urged to look into another £500 wager connected with the growing election gambling scandal.

The former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said parties should examine the rules when parliament returns amid growing outrage over Tory candidates and aides allegedly staking money on politics. The former defence minister Tobias Ellwood also said there should be new restrictions.

The Conservatives have launched their own inquiry into whether politicians or officials gambled on the timing of the election. Rishi Sunak was forced to deny having placed any bets himself and told reporters he was not aware of any further candidates under scrutiny.

“We’ve been conducting our own internal inquiries and of course will act on any relevant findings or information from that and pass it on to the Gambling Commission,” he said.

The Gambling Commission has been urged to investigate a flurry of unusual activity around the time Sunak called the election, an industry source told the Guardian.

It includes a bet of £504, placed on the Sunday before the election was called, that Sunak would still be PM before the 2024 election. The implication is that the punter may have known that the election call was imminent, thus giving the Tory party no time to replace Sunak.

Marginal odds meant the punter stood to gain only £35 from the bet. Details of the bet have been provided to the commission by a professional gambler.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/senior-tories-call-for-ban-on-political-bets-by-mps-election-date

So, Mr Duncan Smith, what was it that converted you to the cause of gambling regulation at this late stage of your government’s life? Not been a priority previously has it?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,851
    A vasectomy won’t protect against STDs, so wearing a condom can be a sensible measure with a new sexual partner even if you have had a vasectomy.
  • Options
    Some stunning bar chart crimes in this leaflet.

🚨 BAR CHART KALXON: I've had 2 bar charts from my local Green party this #GE2024   

Objectively very funny thier newest bar chart claims they are 'surging'... but only to the same level as their last egregious bar chart - whilst simultaneously now putting Labour up by 8%.

https://x.com/Reachingbroom/status/1805367117786837263
  • Options
    rkelkrkelk Posts: 6
    Is it Yougov day today? And Survation maybe?
  • Options

‘Local legend’ Callum euthanised after its health deteriorated, with locals blaming tourists for feeding it with snacks from their hands

A stag made famous on social media has had to be put down after it was fed junk food by hikers.

Callum, described as a “well-known character” in the north-west Scottish Highlands, had to be euthanised after developing health problems.

The animal’s willingness to approach visitors in the car park of Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve and eat from their hands led it to become a popular draw for those on the North Coast 500 route and earned the creature a celebrity status online.

Videos posted on YouTube show Callum being fed croissants and Rice Krispies, as well as healthier snacks such as strawberries and apples.

But after the National Trust for Scotland announced that it had been forced to have Callum put down, locals expressed concern that the stag’s access to snacks was to blame for its deteriorating health.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/23/hikers-junk-food-celebrity-scottish-highlands-stag-death/

TBF if you convict on the basis of “locals expressed concern” we’d all be in prison.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,462
    edited June 25
    Interesting that the second biggest gender gap (and it looks like the biggest split in proportional terms) is that 13% of women are "don't know" compared with only 7% of men.

Coupled with the differences between the genders favouring Labour over the parties of the Right, does that tell us something about the Tory hopes that more undecideds will "come home" to them on polling day?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,135
    johnt said:

It would be interesting to understand why Reform has such a wide gender spread. Given the split of the DKs on paper this looks like good news for Labour and bad news for Tories and Reform. Most DKs are female and they tend to lean left not right.

DKs are 2/3 female in most polling. More open minded?

It's one reason that I think the DKs aren't going to save Sunaks bacon substitute.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 620
    edited June 25
    Heathener said:

Good morning all. Down in the South-west. Didn’t see or hear the Nuremberg Farage rally.

It was at Newton Abbot, not Minehead.

And please don't restart the most pointless poisonous debate since the Filioque dispute.
  • Options
    johnt said:

Well, I can comment as a woman about how repulsive Farage is and his policies. I don’t know that we can claim to be more caring than men as that’s not helpful, but there’s not exactly anything endearing, sensitive, caring, nurturing, loving about Farage’s far right mob as far as many women are concerned. It’s just sugar-coated male thuggishness.

Similar reasons probably that you don’t find so many of us women at men’s football matches: roughly 75% men, 25% women for EPL games. I do go occasionally with my son and I can’t say that I find the atmosphere particularly pleasant a lot of the time.

https://www.fairgameuk.org/press-releases/gender-divide-report
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Talking of which, how do peeps spend Election Day? I always find it a weird one when the news channels all go totally silent on election coverage.

Will probably try and have a late late siesta c 4 or 5 pm to try and help me stay up late.

Others of you?

I’m reliably informed that Labour will ban fun so I’m going to find something fun to do.
  • Options

A vasectomy won’t protect against STDs, so wearing a condom can be a sensible measure with a new sexual partner even if you have had a vasectomy.

I should have added the rider with the same partner he's had for years.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016

Wes is ok. Sometimes he also smiles and has a sense of humour. When Starmer and Sunak clashed at the ITV debate he was there after and said 5 more weeks of this with a smile on his face. Maybe he also knew Labour were going to win.

He knew Labour were going to win? Not the hardest prediction…
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Others of you?

We will be on an overnight cruise from Amsterdam arriving in North Shields early doors. Breakfast there. Home by midday. Off to vote and will drink some home brew. Sleep. Alarm set for 09.50 Pm
  • Options
    edited June 25

Heathener said:

?

Newton Abbot is my constituency Mr B
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TBF if you convict on the basis of “locals expressed concern” we’d all be in prison.
    Fair point.
  • Options

Choosing your sexual partner carefully and not rushing into things is a more effective way.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,786

There is a Cameronian quality about him.

• Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

?

I think you missed the point with your rather snippy response to me when I pointed out the UkElect MRP had it as a Tory hold. I know you had forecast that. I thought you may have found it interesting they did.
  • Options
    johnt said:

Possibly because they don't have any internal debate over the number of genders and which one of them has a penis?
  • Options
    The U.K. would need to build a city the size of London to fix its housing crisis.

https://x.com/economics/status/1805481564521812463?s=61
  • Options
    How many seats will Labour get in Cornwall and Devon outside of Plymouth?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Fair point.
    Cause does not alway equal effect.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

?

I think you missed the point with your rather snippy response to me when I pointed out the UkElect MRP had it as a Tory hold. I know you had forecast that. I thought you may have found it interesting they did.
    Oh it wasn’t snippy. I was just acknowledging that I had it as a tory hold tooooo. :)

Interesting that Farage was here though. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Con and Lib Dem counties?
  • Options

johnt said:

Possibly because they don't have any internal debate over the number of genders and which one of them has a penis?
    I don’t think internal debate on anything happens in Reform.

Anyway, which one of them does have a penis? Farage? Tice? My money’s on Tice. Farage is overcompensating for something.
  • Options

There is a Cameronian quality about him.

You’ve wasted your one picture on an execrable, unfunny Steve Bell cartoon?

I picked up a collection issue of Giles cartoons yesterday. Funny, insightful, everything that Bell is not. It’s like Bell got stuck in the puerile teenage mindset and never grew up.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Surely a big handicap for Farage in Clacton is not being there very often. Reform is very much a one man band.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,342

Fpt

Interesting piece on Jezza which folk will no doubt accept/reject based on existing views.

Some valuable takeaways, not least of which is that some voters may not even realise that Corbyn is no longer Labour. Also Labour seem very far from throwing the kitchen sink at Islington North.

I knew I'd given it the kiss of death by reporting that a friend in Islington -a Corbynite- had said he was going to lose!
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 187

Probably 3 in Cornwall.
  • Options

Fpt

He's been the MP for 41 years, I suspect that will be one of the few Labour losses at the election.

It'll be interesting which bench he sits on, I think it will be apt that he ends up on the same side as the Tories given how often he voted with them during 1997-2010.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,827
    Heathener said:

Others of you?

Spend it on here, of course.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,784
    edited June 25

That stag put a big scratch in my car last time I was in Torridon.

On an unrelated note, the Venison casserole at Kinlochewe Hotel is superb.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,827

It's not true. Sure, the stag had been being fed by tourists, but the cause of death is unknown.

It's basically click bait, and an attempt to shame 'stupid tourists'.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I wonder if he will support these women who have been abandoned by their own union, forced to change in front of a man.

Morning. Just out of interest who are you voting for?

I’ve already voted Labour for transparency.
  • Options
    Farage can sleep on Englands streets after the election and eats in the Spoons free of charge and drink there as well. Best way to meet the public. Sleeping rough.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Fpt

I knew I'd given it the kiss of death by reporting that a friend in Islington -a Corbynite- had said he was going to lose!
    Bit of a puff piece I thought. No solid data behind it, just whimsical anecdotes.

But an interesting sub-sub-sub plot on the night.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,175
    edited June 25
    Heathener said:

I do wish you’d drop the lewd stuff tbf. It just comes across as schoolboy smuttiness which is hardly endearing to the people in this thread that you are apparently speaking about. It encourages other men to make this a less and less inclusive place for women, and more like a football terrace.

Constructive comment.

xx
    If you don't like smut, then please don't read this review of an unfortunately titled new e-bike, the Rattan Pinus.

https://electrek.co/2024/06/20/rattans-newest-electric-bike-has-a-name-you-cant-say-in-polite-company/

"With its unisex design, hopping on a Pinus is sure to be a fun experience for men and women alike."
  • Options

Heathener said:

Others of you?

Spend it on here, of course.
    Normally like to stay up late as possible, but presence of 17 month old son makes sleep a more precious resource. Will likely see the exit poll, stay up for a few hours then get some kip. It means I will miss seeing some classic moments live, but I think I can live with that!
  • Options

Heathener said:

Constructive comment.

xx
    If you don't like smut, then please don't read this review of an unfortunately titled new e-bike, the Rattan Pinus.

https://electrek.co/2024/06/20/rattans-newest-electric-bike-has-a-name-you-cant-say-in-polite-company/

"With its unisex design, hopping on a Pinus is sure to be a fun experience for men and women alike."
    Thanks for the warning :smiley:

I will resist clicking then.
  • Options
    Taz said:

The U.K. would need to build a city the size of London to fix its housing crisis.

https://x.com/economics/status/1805481564521812463?s=61

Or increase the number of people in each dwelling significantly.

Go long on HMOs.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I love vegan food.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,463

Nailed on:

Truro/Falmouth
    Camborne/Redruth
    Exeter

Decent Chance:

Central Devon
    Exmouth
    St Austell/Newquay

Longshots

SE Cornwall
    Torridge/Devon W
  • Options
    Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 63

Sir Keir Stauner
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,453
    Thanks to those on the previous thread who explained the derivation of the term Tankie. Not one I had heard before.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Beginning to wonder if Newton Abbot could be a 4-way marginal?!

Am I right /wrong?

Is there another in the country that could lay claim to that?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Constructive comment.

xx

I am toying with headlining the afternoon thread 'It's not the length, it's the girth.'
  • Options
    Thanks for your take and Devon and Cornwall. Exmouth is the one that I feel labour will not get. I think you are right about the others.
  • Options
    Something else I’ve been thinking about. The Tories have entirely failed to make this election a one issue one. This just confirms Tony Blair’s analysis that 2019 was unique and Labour were very dumb to give it to the Tories.
  • Options
    johnt said:

Simplistic, dramatic solutions have had greater appeal to men through the ages. Cf for example the gender breakdown in voting for early 1930s Germany.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,453
    Eabhal said:

LOL. You have a wicked sense of humour. ;)
  • Options

Taz said:

I’ve already voted Labour for transparency.
    Good luck with that.
  • Options

Something else I’ve been thinking about. The Tories have entirely failed to make this election a one issue one. This just confirms Tony Blair’s analysis that 2019 was unique and Labour were very dumb to give it to the Tories.

New New Labour, things can only get better, let's invade Iran.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 442
    Eabhal said:

We don't eat stag. Too rank for UK tastes. We eat hinds. Germans buy the stags except for the genitalia which the Chinese buy for trad medicine
  • Options
    edited June 25

Nah, that's what Churchill did, and he invaded Iran for the oil alongside Uncle Joe.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Jeremy Hunt is going to lose in Godalming & Ash.

This is a bit of a puff piece too. Anecdotal
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/jeremy-hunt-facing-uphill-battle-in-godalming-conservatives-uk-election

I think we underestimate (do we?) the way a General Election powers through with national voting intentions over local. They’re very different from say by-elections or local elections. It’s really hard for a candidate to buck a national swing out of personal affiliation.

Can anyone name some instances of it happening? Where in a General Election has a candidate’s personal standing gone against a big national swing?
  • Options

Nah, that's what Churchill did, and he invaded Iran for the oil alongside Uncle Joe.
    It didnt end well if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,784
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

I love vegan food.
    Venison + an organic beer from Black Isle brewery. I'm a typical woke millennial.
  • Options
    Yes. Oil and Gas and metals. The commodity boys and arms chaps. Making a living. Business as usual. Gold. Diamonds Silver. Nige worked on The London Metal exchange. Bless him. Winston was a bit of a trader.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,342

Fun in France. The New Popular Front are having to go out of their way to say its leader Jean-Luc Melenchon will not be the Prime Minister if they win. While he leads the alliance he is not that popular with the electorate.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/jean-luc-melenchon-l-impopulaire-du-nouveau-front-de-gauche-20240624

It's always fun in Paris. Time to put the computer down. Start at the Musee d'Orsay and take a Bateaux Mouche...the good life doesn't end at Stoke-on-Trent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,413
    edited June 25
    OK, PB Brains Trust, quick question.

As I think many of you know I have had a lawsuit going on against a certain company due to their persistent issuing of fraudulent bills (I see from yesterday's BBC they are still doing this) which resulted in my being awarded a default judgement against them after their not over-bright solicitor messed up the paperwork.

The aforesaid not overbright solicitor and company in question have now not only refused to accept the judgement and pay up but bombarded both me and the courts with demands that the judgement be set aside. This has included making a false statement to the court (one I can prove is false) and accusing me in private correspondence of bribery to get the judgement. This bombarding has included an emergency application to stay enforcement and reverse the judgement without a hearing with costs awarded at a figure to be determined by them (not the courts) later. I have invited them to withdraw the filing that contains the false statement but despite acknowledging receipt of my email as far as I can see they have not done so

I am applying for a warrant of control to enforce the judgement. Should I, at the same time, demonstrate the falseness of the statement or should I just apply and see what happens? I have noted on the application that the company have refused to accept the judgement and I have had to caution them about the language they are using.

Any advice gratefully received, because I'm somewhat startled at their behaviour.
  • Options
    Tony and his deal with Bush. USA did well out of that. Arms. Oil and reconstruction! Big business.
  • Options
    Wait. They have found those weapons in the desert. There is a man who looks like Saddam on the run. They never really found him. Oh my word!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Fpt

My Islington friend, who told me confidently at the beginning of the year that the middle class residents wouldn’t vote for Corbyn so he will lose, now isn’t sure. With a Labour victory nailed on nationally, it’s an easier mini-protest to make.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's always fun in Paris. Time to put the computer down. Start at the Musee d'Orsay and take a Bateaux Mouche...the good life doesn't end at Stoke-on-Trent.
    Musee d'Orsay is the best place in Paris. the rest of it is boring, like London. Though I did enjoy Notre Dame the exhibition on the rebuilding was really interesting you could sit on the stands and watch the roof being rebuilt bit by bit. I'm in Les Yvelines next week and can only enthuse myself to go to Paris as Im meeting an old friend for lunch.
  • Options

It didnt end well if I recall correctly.
    It turned out fine, it didn't turn out Shi'ite.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Others of you?

WTF
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As I think many of you know I have had a lawsuit going on against a certain company due to their persistent issuing of fraudulent bills (I see from yesterday's BBC they are still doing this) which resulted in my being awarded a default judgement against them after their not over-bright solicitor messed up the paperwork.

The aforesaid not overbright solicitor and company in question have now not only refused to accept the judgement and pay up but bombarded both me and the courts with demands that the judgement be set aside. This has included making a false statement to the court (one I can prove is false) and accusing me in private correspondence of bribery to get the judgement. This bombarding has included an emergency application to stay enforcement and reverse the judgement without a hearing with costs awarded at a figure to be determined by them (not the courts) later. I have invited them to withdraw the filing that contains the false statement but despite acknowledging receipt of my email as far as I can see they have not done so

I am applying for a warrant of control to enforce the judgement. Should I, at the same time, demonstrate the falseness of the statement or should I just apply and see what happens? I have noted on the application that the company have refused to accept the judgement and I have had to caution them about the language they are using.

Any advice gratefully received, because I'm somewhat startled at their behaviour.

I knew about the broadband and banking but didn’t realise the PO had gone into energy supply now?
  • Options

Roger said:

Musee d'Orsay is the best place in Paris. the rest of it is boring, like London. Though I did enjoy Notre Dame the exhibition on the rebuilding was really interesting you could sit on the stands and watch the roof being rebuilt bit by bit. I'm in Les Yvelines next week and can only enthuse myself to go to Paris as Im meeting an old friend for lunch.
    London and Paris are boring?

Wow. Just wow.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    ydoethur said:

To be honest, I'd go the police.

That really will cause bowels to be loosened at their end.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

I love vegan food.
    Venison + an organic beer from Black Isle brewery. I'm a typical woke millennial.
    Vegan Venison I presume
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,413

ydoethur said:

That really will cause bowels to be loosened.
    Thanks. I will consider it. The only problem is, it would be Thames Valley police I think? Pretty useless bunch.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Roger said:

Wow. Just wow.
    I accept youre easily impressed and dont get out much.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Beginning to wonder if Newton Abbot could be a 4-way marginal?!

Am I right /wrong?

Is there another in the country that could lay claim to that?

Mentally deranged more like , who gives a toss
  • Options
    JamesFJamesF Posts: 29
    The more nationalist the party, the more male its support.

Are there counter examples?
  • Options
    Paris is beautiful. The people can be a bit volatile.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 620
    edited June 25
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Fpt

My Islington friend, who told me confidently at the beginning of the year that the middle class residents wouldn’t vote for Corbyn so he will lose, now isn’t sure. With a Labour victory nailed on nationally, it’s an easier mini-protest to make.
    There is always a significant personal vote for a well known and established constituency MP. Thats why Starmer has an immense task, needing ~120 gains to get a majority (nearer 140 taking boundary changes into account), whatever the opinion polls say and why I think n.o.m. at 14-1 might be worth a few bob.

(not advice, do your own research etc...)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That really will cause bowels to be loosened.
    Thanks. I will consider it. The only problem is, it would be Thames Valley police I think? Pretty useless bunch.
    You can go to your local rozzers.

Say they are accusing you of bribery, I'd also flag this up to the courts.

I would also contact the SRA about the bribery angle.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Wow. Just wow.
    I accept youre easily impressed and dont get out much.
    Oh Alan why do you slip so readily into Ad Hominem? Ask yourself this, no need to reply.

It’s because I go out stacks that I don’t find London and Paris boring. There is sooooooo much to do. So many amazing galleries, fantastic eating, brilliant concerts. It’s a cornucopia of sensory pleasures. Last week I went to the Eras tour on one night and Opera Holland Park for Tosca another, from the wondrous and free treasure of the National Gallery to erotic gay porn at Studio Voltaire in Clapham. From the high priestess of feminist art Judy Chicago at the Serpentine, to Cézanne at the Courthauld. It’s endless and magnificent.

You can, literally, spend every single night of the year out in London and never do the same thing twice. Amazing city.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 442
    ydoethur said:

Weird

Impossible to advise without knowing the details. In general there's not much point in "demonstrating" anything to anyone other than a court but get a succinct statement as to why it's false in writing to them so they can't later say you have just made it up.