Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Oh Mandy – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,837
edited June 23 in General
Oh Mandy – politicalbetting.com

"I don't believe the polls for one moment"Former cabinet minister Lord Mandelson says opinion polls can be "dangerous" ahead of elections and says it's not "all in the bag" for Labour#BBCLauraK https://t.co/JIr7IBfz4z pic.twitter.com/73SmZR1s4o

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Good morning, Vietnam!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,430
    There is always a stench when Mandleson is involved in anything.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,073
    edited June 23
    Yes, I am aware that I am criticising somebody else for a lack of subtlety.
  • Options

Yes, I am aware that I am accusing somebody else for a lack of subtlety.

An appalling lack of tripe.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,671
    edited June 23
    Taking the Fifth ,,, AGAIN.

Back to 4 dimensional chess from Lord Mandelbrot. Just like old times.

Does @BatteryCorrectHorse eat tripe? If so, can we have a recipe?

(My @ menu offered me 4 different options for CHB, and none of them are the correct one.)
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 444
    Afternoon all!

Sunak vs Starmer on 26 June in head to head format.

We all assume that pretty much nothing can save the Tories from defeat now - the question is the scale of it.

Do we think that Sunak might go for the ‘stop the supermajority’ angle?

We’ve seen cabinet members do it but seeing Sunak do it in a head to head would be quite something, so I doubt it?
  • Options
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Random question. Does anyone know why the Spanish national anthem is an instrumental piece, with no words?

It is one of four national anthems that doesn't have any lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_Real
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532

Mandelson is a class act. One of the finest political brains of the modern era.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,723
    Reminding people of New Labour is not exactly a win, I would suggest.

Next, Blair will pop up, saying we have to be prepared for an Iraqi attack in 45 minutes....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,585
    Curse of the New Thread
    mickydroy said:

I have no real wish to see Sunak lose his seat, I feel he was dealt a poor hand, and the blame lies squarely at the door of Truss and Johnson, if as anticipated they get trounced at the election

As Richi's time in Government (and Parliament and politics) winds down to its ignominious end, I wonder just how badly he has queered the pitch for future leaders of the party and Country

Will they ever select another;

Billionaire?

Party? Yes.
    Country? Not if they can help it. Even at school he didn't want to mix with the Hoi polloi but the inability to relate to the common man is a definite negative.

Tech-bro?

Party? No. They need a politician, with a common touch. Not another spreadsheet geek. They didn't want him first time round, and gifting him the gig worked out badly.
    Country? Maybe

Person of Colour?

Party? Yes
    Country? Yes, although that may depend how many RefUK 'teal shirts' are marching

Non-Christian?

Party? Yes
    Country? Yes, although the exact flavour and fervour may be a factor

Short-arse with shorter trousers

Party? If they have to
    Country? Not if they can help it
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,090

Afternoon all!

We all assume that pretty much nothing can save the Tories from defeat now - the question is the scale of it.

We’ve seen cabinet members do it but seeing Sunak do it in a head to head would be quite something, so I doubt it?

The only thing that could save Sunak would be Starmer saying he will euthanise Larry The Cat if he gets into number 10.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,286

He is a fighter, not a quitter.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,476

1992. Labour ahead in the polls. Soap box. Sheffield. Tory victory. That's why Mandelson is cautious, and also why I do not believe Mandelson is an electoral wunderkind.
  • Options

Is he though? He only had to beat a broken John Major.
  • Options

Is he though? He only had to beat a broken John Major.
    He was the architect of Labour's 1987 general election campaign.

Thatcher won a landslide.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,519
    "Romanian village set to become Nato's biggest airbase in Europe"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c977wggg4pgo
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,123

Afternoon all!

"I have lost this election. You want me out. That's fine. I will resign the leadership on 5th July. So this isn't about me. Its about you. Do you want to give this man [points] a blank cheque? The ability to do all the things he wants to do but doesn't dare tell you about?"
  • Options

Yeah, unlike William Glenn. I mean, the other William Glenn.
  • Options

1992. Labour ahead in the polls. Soap box. Sheffield. Tory victory. That's why Mandelson is cautious, and also why I do not believe Mandelson is an electoral wunderkind.
    Kinnock never thought Labour would win in 1992.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,947
    edited June 23
    Eabhal said:

Afternoon all!

The only thing that could save Sunak would be Starmer saying he will euthanise Larry The Cat if he gets into number 10.
    Larry's the only Downing Street employee who didn't have a bet on 4th July.
    How do you know? I hear he will only eat salmon now.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,957

Reminding people of New Labour is not exactly a win, I would suggest.

Next, Blair will pop up, saying we have to be prepared for an Iraqi attack in 45 minutes....

Memories of New Labour have, I would suggest, become progressively rosier as the memories of the last 14 years have darkened.

Outside the radical left and Tory loyalists I sense the “Blair = Iraq” equation is much less powerful than it was even 5 years ago.

Things can only get better etc
  • Options
    The Labour Government of 1997 to 2010 is the greatest government this country has had since WW2.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,784
    kjh said:

Eabhal said:

Afternoon all!

Larry's the only Downing Street employee who didn't have a bet on 4th July.
    How do you know? I hear he will only eat salmon now.
    You're supposed to place the bet in your wife's name, not the ****ing cat!

Malcolm Tucker in the TTOI Christmas special
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,736
    Overconfidence is a legitimate concern, but you can go too far to protect against it, then it just looks silly.
  • Options

The Labour Government of 1997 to 2010 is the greatest government this country has had since WW2.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousand dead and maimed Iraqis we helped cause.

Whatever else you can lay at the door of this Government, nothing - and I mean NOTHING - will ever come close to that obscenity from your "greatest government".
  • Options
    Very bizarre tweet from Jeremy Hunt:

https://x.com/jeremy_hunt/status/1804849296799420592
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,142
    Interesting that Sunak is a spread bettor. I wonder what he got on Tory seats.

https://x.com/carolvorders/status/1804622827884069318?t=-9qJbxZdt1B5GkuWzyol_g&s=19
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,837
    Is @TimS around? I have a question for @TimS

Paris aside, on each of my recent visits to France - and I’ve been all over - Brittany, Normandy, Picardy, the Cevennes, Provence, Languedoc - I’ve been struck by the high quality of life. It’s not just the nicer weather - they have good health care, beautiful cities, agreeable food, excellent infrastructure, lots of holidays

They must have one of the highest “qualities of life” in the world. And I’m not just comparing them with fucked up old Britain. They seem to have a superior quality of life to almost anyone in europe (or the world?)

Yes they have problems - migration, crime, but still. Other countries have all that as well and often far worse

Yet the French are so discontented they are voting in their millions for a woman who says France is on
    the brink of ruin and forget about my Nazi dad only I can save you

WHY?
  • Options

This graph says otherwise. Look at the dates.

I too like graphs. Shall we do waiting lists?
  • Options

The box isn't yet ticked.

She could still have drawn a cock and balls...
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 444

Afternoon all!

"I have lost this election. You want me out. That's fine. I will resign the leadership on 5th July. So this isn't about me. Its about you. Do you want to give this man [points] a blank cheque? The ability to do all the things he wants to do but doesn't dare tell you about?"
    It is perhaps a better strategy than whatever they are doing now. Though, maybe not outright conceding defeat - but talking about the long term political landscape.

• Options

Labour were famous for manipulating the stats with things like preventing people from booking appointments in advance.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is @TimS around? I have a question for @TimS

Paris aside, on each of my recent visits to France - and I’ve been all over - Brittany, Normandy, Picardy, the Cevennes, Provence, Languedoc - I’ve been struck by the high quality of life. It’s not just the nicer weather - they have good health care, beautiful cities, agreeable food, excellent infrastructure, lots of holidays

They must have one of the highest “qualities of life” in the world. And I’m not just comparing them with fucked up old Britain. They seem to have a superior quality of life to almost anyone in europe (or the world?)

Yes they have problems - migration, crime, but still. Other countries have all that as well and often far worse

Yet the French are so discontented they are voting in their millions for a woman who says France is on
    the brink of ruin and forget about my Nazi dad only I can save you

WHY?

And they have the Gaul to talk about "perfidious Albion".

Puh!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532

Yeah, unlike William Glenn. I mean, the other William Glenn.
    Wrong. You are confusing William Glenn with William Glenn. Easily mistaken for William Glenn. Be careful out there.
  • Options

Whatever else you can lay at the door of this Government, nothing - and I mean NOTHING - will ever come close to that obscenity from your "greatest government".
    If the Tories had been in power, we'd have invaded Iraq too. Indeed, they voted for it in Parliament.

Did you oppose the war at the time?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,327

Referring to his wife as "the wife" is not a good look.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,837
    Is it because the French know they’ve got it good and they are acting now to pre-empt stuff that might fuck it up?

Is it just their revolutionary temperament?

Is it that national morosity?

Some hangover from napoleon?

Too much cheese?
  • Options

If the Tories had been in power, we'd have invaded Iraq too. Indeed, they voted for it in Parliament.

"They voted for it" isn't good enough, since it was sold on a false prospectus. But yes, I suspect we'd have invaded under the tories.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325
    Foxy said:

https://x.com/carolvorders/status/1804622827884069318?t=-9qJbxZdt1B5GkuWzyol_g&s=19

Gotta be more than £30 a seat given he starts a grand down to Piers Morgan...
  • Options
    OMG! We have two days this week without football! And no Wimbledon to turn to either.

Will we have to talk, you know - politics? Urgh...
  • Options

Yes. I was with Ken Clark.
  • Options

OMG! We have two days this week without football! And no Wimbledon to turn to either.

Will we have to talk, you know - politics? Urgh...

Queen's tennis final is on BBC right now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The Tories supported the Iraq War.

It was the LibDems who opposed it.
    IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
  • Options
    Anyway, it has stopped drizzling and I can return to delivering leaflets, rather than a handful of mush.

Laters.
  • Options

He's liable to get it wrong if he goes for a more precise descriptor. She's lucky he didn't call her his husband.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 262

That graph doesn't look too bad for the Tories.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,400

FPT

Sandpit said:

Random question. Does anyone know why the Spanish national anthem is an instrumental piece, with no words?

It is one of four national anthems that doesn't have any lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_Real
    During the mad pendulum years that led to Franco, it kept having new fash/non fash lyrics with each regime change.

Going wordless after 1978 was also very on-brand; "pact of forgetting" and all that.

More recently, there have been attempts and competitions to find lyrics, but they've been awful. It's not easy for democracies to choose national symbols democratically; it's too self-referential.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,490

Afternoon all!

If he says that I’d expect the Tories to get even less seats . Admitting you’ve lost already and then delivering that desperate attempt to look like he’s so worried about the poor British public will be met with derision.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,258

Anyway, it has stopped drizzling and I can return to delivering leaflets, rather than a handful of mush.

Laters.

Drizzling? There isn't a cloud in the sky, and the sun beats down...
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,334

Oh come on, that’s tongue in cheek. The bit I would question is photographing a vote.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423

Foxy said:

IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
    The Tories' problem is that they let IDS run things when it came to Brexit. Tricky to proclaim the bloke an idiot on one major issue but a seer on another.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,085

Foxy said:

IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
    The Tories' problem is that they let IDS run things when it came to Brexit. Tricky to proclaim the bloke an idiot on one major issue but a seer on another.
    It is, however, true of many people who are good on one subject that they are absolute blithering idiots on many others.
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
    It is, however, true of many people who are good on one subject that they are absolute blithering idiots on many others.
    See Lord Sumption as the perfect example.

Superb jurist but terrible epidemiologist.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
    True, but I'd go with IDS being a blithering idiot over both Iraq and Brexit. That feels about right.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,612
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

IDS supported it.

Ken Clark did not.
    Its hardly surprising. You wouldn't take a surgeoun and put him in charge of designing aircraft or vice versa without any training or time to adjust. Yet we move minister from post to post almost on an annual basis somehow hoping they know it all.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,214

Laters.

Don't worry about the soggy leaflets, no harm done. Nobody reads them anyway.

I had an "Abolish the Senedd" party campaign leaflet. There was a nice picture of a red MK2 Jag on it. I didn't read it.
  • Options
    A bit of election Anecdata. Lots of cars and people helping Vaz out at his offices on Humberstone Rd, Webbes office looks deserted again.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,389
    Ugh. Mandelson.

It's like he never left.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,231

Well to the Tories credit they stopped and started to reverse that trend.
  • Options
    @PippaCrerar

Senior Tory official becomes FOURTH party figure subject to gambling watchdog investigation…

With reports of “many more” cases being looked at (though unclear yet if they have Tory links) election betting scandal now undermining party’s campaign…

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1804860626742690095
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,521

How about number of NHS employees ?
  • Options
    @BethRigby
    Betting scandal crisis deepens: Many more people than Tories already identified being investigated by gambling regulator re bets on election date. Watchdog widened inquiries to investigate whether people with inside knowledge may have asked third party to place bet

https://x.com/BethRigby/status/1804870949063286791
  • Options

Labour were famous for manipulating the stats with things like preventing people from booking appointments in advance.
    That is just managing the metric. It’s not a good thing to do but you can understand why they did it. Probably because it’s a duff metric but the public wanted it. All businesses do it as well.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Senior Tory official becomes FOURTH party figure subject to gambling watchdog investigation…

With reports of “many more” cases being looked at (though unclear yet if they have Tory links) election betting scandal now undermining party’s campaign…

Fake news, if they are talking about betting rather than their own wacky plans it is reducing the rate at which they plunge in the polls.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,324
    Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

That’s not yet another person, that’s the chief data officer that was reported on yesterday or earlier today.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,090
    Taz said:

That is just managing the metric. It’s not a good thing to do but you can understand why they did it. Probably because it’s a duff metric but the public wanted it. All businesses do it as well.
    "Once a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure".
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,521

Mr Brown said: "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." He said he was determined that the UK should not return to the "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980s and 1990s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/budget97/live/housing.shtml

Well we didn't have banks going bankrupt in the 1980s and 1990s.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Somewhere there will be a few innocent punters who just happened to put a few quid on July that same day, who will now get dragged into being suspects in this growing investigation!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby
    Betting scandal crisis deepens: Many more people than Tories already identified being investigated by gambling regulator re bets on election date. Watchdog widened inquiries to investigate whether people with inside knowledge may have asked third party to place bet

Let me guess, they’ll leak a name a day until election day?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,784
    edited June 23
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Somewhere there will be a few innocent punters who just happened to put a few quid on July that same day, who will now get dragged into being suspects in this growing investigation!
    I'll visit you in prison. Make it Saughton, easier for me.
  • Options

Taz said:

Absolutely. The classic example being the Soviet hospital targeted to reduce the number of patients dying on the wards, who took their patients out on trolleys into the street when the end looked near.

There is almost always a proper way and an easier way to achieve any given target.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,999

Taz said:

Targets belong to archery imo.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

I am expecting to be contacted.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

That’s not yet another person, that’s the chief data officer that was reported on yesterday or earlier today.
    :)

https://x.com/mocent0/status/1804877149075107894
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,671
    edited June 23

That seems a peculiar comment.

It's just a normal expression.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    Foxy said:

Maybe it's because of this, maybe it's the £1,000 wager with Piers Morgan, but I've heard lots of people talking about the possibility of Rishi having bet on the election date.

There's no way he'd have been that stupid, but if it turns out that he's had any bets on finance or politics during his time at the Treasury or as PM, then it's going to look unbelievably bad for him.

It seems unlikely, but then I'd have said the same about the three (or is it now four?) members of the Tory campaign team who've been caught betting on things that they were in a position to influence.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

With your Tory connections, you are quite obviously guilty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

:)

https://x.com/mocent0/status/1804877149075107894
    They should have introduced corporate sponsorship to government:

- The Border Agency - sponsored by RyanAir
    - The Electoral Commission - sponsored by PaddyPower
  • Options
    No, there will not be a historic swing rightwards for trump with young people

https://x.com/Taniel/status/1804876523444347350
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

A few members of the current members of the cabinet follow me on Twitter and I have the phone number of at least one member of the current cabinet.

My defence will be I backed a July election going back to March and my bets on May 21st were following the news.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,306
    edited June 23
    MattW said:

No, it really isn't; it's derogatory, demeaning and very dated.

Edit: In the context of the tweet, it's clearly meant to be humorous. I don't think he's got a career ahead of him as stand-up comic though.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,389
    Ugh. Mandelson.

It's like he never left.
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Well, it's definitely not me as I had a flaming red next to June/July/August on the markets, and laid it more when the rumours were flying.

I took Sunak at his word and assumed he wouldn't be psychotic enough to call an early election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Yes, but he's no small fry.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Yes, but he's no small fry.
    Indeed, i.e. should have known better.
  • Options

Cock-up, not conspiracy. Labour had not realised that sometimes people want appointments a long way in advance (eg stitches out; babies out) when it implemented its programme to have patients seen in two days. You will remember the programme where the audience tries to explain it to Tony Blair.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

As an expert witness?
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    biggles said:

Oh come on, that’s tongue in cheek. The bit I would question is photographing a vote.
    Does the 2d barcode at the bottom left encode the serial number? If so, her vote should surely be invalidated...
  • Options
    Not often that Peter's Mandelson and Hitchens agree on something.
  • Options
    I was reading the lastest short book by the person behind the Darth Putin account, and its interesting how in writing it he apparently had to approach things from a different direction.

'How to Tankie' was written by an unreliable narrator from the viewpoint of someone from the far left. Individuals like that on Darth's timeline are often smug, arrogant, self-righteous know-it-all-know-nothing hypocrites whose views lead them into moral blackholes, but few of them seem to want to be Putin - they just want to let others be ruled or murdered by him.

To write this book [the Darth Putin Guide to Master Strategy] I had instead to put myself into the shoes of a far right/alt-right type, as they seem to not only like Putin, but they also want to be like him.
  • Options
    Someone has used AI to create a Country and Western song about Hawk Tuah girl.

https://x.com/tarabull808/status/1804270697218552267?s=61
  • Options

Ugh. Mandelson.

It's like he never left.

There are not many people from the pre-2010 days still around and meaningfully active at a senior level to try to get back into relevance under a Starmer government, so the few that are will be heard from a lot.
  • Options

Mr Brown said: "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." He said he was determined that the UK should not return to the "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980s and 1990s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/budget97/live/housing.shtml

Well we didn't have banks going bankrupt in the 1980s and 1990s.
    Nick Leeson just texted me and sayed it wasn't him who brought down BCCI or caused the small banks crisis.
  • Options
    edited June 23

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

A few members of the current members of the cabinet follow me on Twitter and I have the phone number of at least one member of the current cabinet.

My defence will be I backed a July election going back to March and my bets on May 21st were following the news.
    I am green on July, but only because I put a fair bit on Q3 expecting a September election, so in the right place for the wrong reason.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325

Ugh. Mandelson.

It's like he never left.

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Well, it's definitely not me as I had a flaming red next to June/July/August on the markets, and laid it more when the rumours were flying.

I took Sunak at his word and assumed he wouldn't be psychotic enough to call an early election.
    He stuck to his word. 4th July is second half of the year :wink:

I've no idea if I'll be investigated or not, I had bets on but they were placed on the 5th and 6th of October. If I am contacted, being squeaky clean and disliking the Gambling Commision, I will either ignore it or troll them.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,306
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

Those who bet before 21st May will probably be fine; those who bet on 21st will probably face a fine:

• Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@PippaCrerar

As an expert witness?
    Undoubtedly.

Although when asked I may blame it all on Lord Finklestein.

There is one certainty in life, I would not do well in prison.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Might be regional. Is normalish lots of places but generally a bit Partridge in my experience.