Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The public want some political bettors to get a criminal record – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,415
    Heathener said:

PRESIDENT ZELENSKY SAYS NIGEL FARAGE HAS BEEN INFECTED BY THE VIRUS OF PUTINISM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13557583/Nigel-Farage-blasted-echoing-Putins-vile-justification-Ukraine.html

Thoughts and prayers for your keyboard.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 702

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

The total value of the minerals in Ukraines are estimated to be from 10 to 14.8 trillion depending on who you believe with more than 70.0% concentrated in Donetsk, Luhansk and Dnipro. Apart from Oil and gas,coal, Titanium, Lithium. It has 5% of the earths mineral resources. Iron Ore , Copper, Nickel, The list is endless and this is the main reason Russia has the interest in the country. Not only the defense argument we are given.

Also the people. Russia is in a demographic crisis and if Putin can add 20 million white Christian Slavic Ukrainians - who speak Russian anyway - to the Russian empire then that is a massive win - there’s no problem with assimilation etc etc
    Well, it might be (probably is) a factor in what passes for Putin's thought processes, but rather less than a third of Ukrainians are Russian speaking so it won't even be close to 20 million.
    I’m dubious of that language statistic. I’m not dismissing it but nearly all the Ukrainians I’ve met - in Ukraine - seem to speak Russian in addition to Ukrainian. They are bilingual. And you hear it everywhere - except places like lviv but they have a very different history - Lviv was part of austro-hungary

Maybe a third of Ukrainians speak Russian as their “main language”. That would make more sense
    The use of the Ukranian language has increased dramatically as a result of the war. Before 2022, everyone would mostly converse in Russian (or English in Kiev and Lviv). Think Welsh language use in Wales for a reasonable comparison.
    Welsh, of course, is a radically different language from English although Welsh speakers are happy to drift in and out of English as appropriate, much as educated English drift in and out of Latin or French occasionally. I'm not conversant with Russian or Ukrainian but Russian nationalists seem to regard Ukrainian as either a dialect or, even worse, an accent. Someone once said a language is a dialect with an army, so Ukrainian has certainly passed that test. Are the languages radically different or is it more of a continuum?
    Welsh and English are at least both indo European. There's ethnic Hungarians in Transylvania who are obliged to learn indo European Romanian on top of their Uralic first language. They all pride themselves on being very very bad at Romanian.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,445
    edited June 22
    Heathener said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13557583/Nigel-Farage-blasted-echoing-Putins-vile-justification-Ukraine.html

Nigel needs to be careful here. His instinct will be to retaliate and slag Zelensky off in a snide and dismissive way, but he'd be well advised to bite his tongue - brand Nigel is in a precarious situation and the slightest ill-judged remark could kill it off.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,619
    edited June 22
    RobD said:

Heathener said:

Let's be generous and assume the caps lock key is sticky. 😊
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,549

FF43 said:

Leon said:

The total value of the minerals in Ukraines are estimated to be from 10 to 14.8 trillion depending on who you believe with more than 70.0% concentrated in Donetsk, Luhansk and Dnipro. Apart from Oil and gas,coal, Titanium, Lithium. It has 5% of the earths mineral resources. Iron Ore , Copper, Nickel, The list is endless and this is the main reason Russia has the interest in the country. Not only the defense argument we are given.

Also the people. Russia is in a demographic crisis and if Putin can add 20 million white Christian Slavic Ukrainians - who speak Russian anyway - to the Russian empire then that is a massive win - there’s no problem with assimilation etc etc
    I suspect Russian invasion, pillage, rape and slaughter of Ukraine might be a problem for assimilation.
    In much the same way that the Irish ordinary public in Dublin, who were virtually spitting at the 1916 Easter Rising rebels when they were defeated and rounded up, turned on the British when they were treated so harshly by a closed military tribunal not a court of law, including executing those were badly injured one of whom had to be carried to the place he was shot.

Obviously they saw things diffently in the north, just as they did in Luhansk, Donetsk and Crimea.

Partition is inevitable, just as it was in Ireland.
    It's the easiest thing in the world to assert that the thing you want is inevitable.

Probably a couple of years ago you would have been asserting that it was inevitable that Ukraine would be incorporated into Russia by force.

Did Ceaușescu really think, when he started to make that speech in Bucharest, that he would be dead four days later?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,284

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Well, it might be (probably is) a factor in what passes for Putin's thought processes, but rather less than a third of Ukrainians are Russian speaking so it won't even be close to 20 million.
    I’m dubious of that language statistic. I’m not dismissing it but nearly all the Ukrainians I’ve met - in Ukraine - seem to speak Russian in addition to Ukrainian. They are bilingual. And you hear it everywhere - except places like lviv but they have a very different history - Lviv was part of austro-hungary

Maybe a third of Ukrainians speak Russian as their “main language”. That would make more sense
    Every Welsh person I've ever met - and I mean every one over the age of six - speaks English just as fluently as they do Welsh. That does not make them English.
    But that wasn’t your claim. You claimed that “only a third” of Ukrainians speak Russian and I’m saying - from what I’ve personally witnessed - that sounds like bullshit. For a start anyone over 40 will have been a child when Ukraine was part of the USSR and everyone learned Russian. That’s half the country right there
    "Learned" Russian ≠ "speaks" Russian.

I learned French at school. I don't speak French today.
    You don’t know much about the French you took?
    What a wonderful world it would be.
  • Options
    Animal house the Flim.They played that song before the food fight scene.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Nigel needs to be careful here. His instinct will be to retaliate and slag Zelensky off in a snide and dismissive way, but he'd be well advised to bite his tongue - brand Nigel is in a precarious situation and the slightest ill-judged remark could kill it off.
    Well, we can all hope but he's been walking this tightrope for a long, long time. It's not his first rodeo.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 577
    There’s constituency polls showing the Greens might have a viable shot at 4+ seats.

Sunak campaigning in seats with 20,000+ Tory majorities.

Lib Dems optimistic about tons of targets.

Reform shooting themselves in the foot but still appearing to have some viable skin in the game.

What signs are we currently missing to make us think that Labour 500 seats / Lib Dems official opposition / Tories under 50 seats (or a combo of the above) is actually on?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,962
    If changing official languages is problematic, try changing its alphabet.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180424-the-cost-of-changing-an-entire-countrys-alphabet
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,471

Heathener said:

Yes, to go back to the original point - which was Farage rather than Ukraine - I think this might have done real damage to Reform. Its headline news

It’s not so much the specifics of his point - it’s that it reinforces the latent image of Farage as a bit dodgy. That’s always there - hovering. The spivviness, the guy who went on Russia today. It badly tarnishes his carefully curated image as the plain honest speaker and makes him something significantly nastier

So a lot of people who might have been considering a Reform vote will now think again, perhaps. It therefore stops the Reform momentum at exactly the wrong time

He should have found better words - or found a way to evade the question entirely
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,235
    edited June 22
    F1: four different cars in the top 5 in P3, separated by a tenth of a second.

Qualifying is going to be worth watching, at 15:00 UK time.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,923
    edited June 22
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Nunu5 said:

Man is jailed and banned for driving for 20 years after driving wrong way on a road whilst on bail. He killed two people (a passenger) and a mother of 8.

At what point do people get banned from driving for life?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprr08wx8vlo

He's also been imprisoned for 18 years.

So in theory it's a two year driving ban.

In the real world I imagine he'll be released after five minutes because of overcrowding about 9-12 years.
    UK law is weird on some of these points. It should be a punishment element, and then indeterminate from then until he has proven his mental stability and psychological suitability to be given control of vehicles that can harm others.

There is considerable discretion to impose driving bans where the Courts deem appropriate - even at Magistrates Court level, but it is hardly used. Plus more loopholes than a colander around eg 'exceptional hardship'.

The Sentencing Council did a consultation this spring, but even they did not ask many of the right questions.
    The exceptional hardship loophole is bonkers. You want higher standards for people who drive for a living, not lower ones. It should only exist for people caring for family members in rural areas, and the ban should be applied after that role had concluded.

An automatic life driving ban for death by dangerous driving or use of a vehicle as a weapon wound focus some minds, while not clogging up prisons.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,652
    Nunu5 said:

Man is jailed and banned for driving for 20 years after driving wrong way on a road whilst on bail. He killed two people (a passenger) and a mother of 8.

At what point do people get banned from driving for life?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprr08wx8vlo

When they turn down Rishi's national service, apparently.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,486
    edited June 22

There’s constituency polls showing the Greens might have a viable shot at 4+ seats.

Sunak campaigning in seats with 20,000+ Tory majorities.

Lib Dems optimistic about tons of targets.

Reform shooting themselves in the foot but still appearing to have some viable skin in the game.

What signs are we currently missing to make us think that Labour 500 seats / Lib Dems official opposition / Tories under 50 seats (or a combo of the above) is actually on?

That constituency polling is a load of bobbins.

Edit and show me a general election where the Lib Dems weren't optimistic about the seats they were going to win.
  • Options
    Yesterday I noticed I still had the Covid app on my phone so deleted it. But it's now continuingly given me the message 'Your phone will no longer log nearby devices ... blah blah blah ... you won't be notified of possible exposures.' Aaaaarrrgggghhhh!
  • Options
    Bobbins it is as usual. We are not going to work this election out by looking solely at these polls.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,685

Yesterday I noticed I still had the Covid app on my phone so deleted it. But it's now continuingly given me the message 'Your phone will no longer log nearby devices ... blah blah blah ... you won't be notified of possible exposures.' Aaaaarrrgggghhhh!

Sounds like you need an anti-virus.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,652
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Yes, to go back to the original point - which was Farage rather than Ukraine - I think this might have done real damage to Reform. Its headline news

It’s not so much the specifics of his point - it’s that it reinforces the latent image of Farage as a bit dodgy. That’s always there - hovering. The spivviness, the guy who went on Russia today. It badly tarnishes his carefully curated image as the plain honest speaker and makes him something significantly nastier

So a lot of people who might have been considering a Reform vote will now think again, perhaps. It therefore stops the Reform momentum at exactly the wrong time

He should have found better words - or found a way to evade the question entirely
    Is Farage's Ukraine problem that he has spent too much time in the United States, where such sentiments are not uncommon in MAGA and alt-right circles?
  • Options
    Nigel have any Sunday appearances on Tv etc? Not just the local Spoons to swig a free pint.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841

Is Farage's Ukraine problem that he has spent too much time in the United States, where such sentiments are not uncommon in MAGA and alt-right circles?

His problem is he is a Putin fanboi
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Its not a pb thing but plenty of isolationist let the big boys do whatever shit they do and keep out of it all over here too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,482
    johnt said:

With the benefit of a nights sleep I have come to the conclusion that Farage does not want to lead a group of 40 Reform MPs. He is trying to hit 20% of the vote but not win more than 2 or 3 seats allowing him to claim the establishment are against him and his turning round the U.K. is being prevented by ‘the blob’. That is, in his mind, the way to maximise brand Nigel and gain his best financial return. Frankly the idea that anyone can possibly think he has the best interests of anyone other than himself at heart is bonkers.

Are you suggesting that he's following the Bialystock and Bloom playbook? We all have to hope that Springtime for Putin doesn't turn out to be a massive hit.
  • Options
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,441
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Perhaps more importantly, it stops dead any hope he might have had of a reverse takeover of the Conservative party. I can't imagine a scenario where decent types like HYUFD, Big G or Casino would ever accept Farage as leader.

But as JohnT says downthread, I don't think Farage wants to take over the Conservative party, I think his brand depends on being the anti-establishment outsider whipping up fervent outrage against the rigged system that's against him. Very Trumpian. Two or three seats on 20% of the vote would do him very nicely in that respect. That way brand Farage remains intact and he can keep on hoovering up the money from the media appearances.
  • Options
    edited June 22

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Possibly. Also he might feel vindicated - he’s got a video of him making this point in 2014 - that EU accession talks with Ukraine will provoke Putin

Ergo, it’s another case of him being the honest speaker and getting it right and everyone else lying. However he has perhaps misjudged British public opinion - most people either don’t understand the nuances of the Ukrainian war or they are in no mood to hear them. Putin is evil, end of

Farage needs the conversation to move on fast
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,945
    edited June 22
    I think we need the oil and gas in that one, too, and USA / China broken out.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 644

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

The use of the Ukranian language has increased dramatically as a result of the war. Before 2022, everyone would mostly converse in Russian (or English in Kiev and Lviv). Think Welsh language use in Wales for a reasonable comparison.
    Welsh, of course, is a radically different language from English although Welsh speakers are happy to drift in and out of English as appropriate, much as educated English drift in and out of Latin or French occasionally. I'm not conversant with Russian or Ukrainian but Russian nationalists seem to regard Ukrainian as either a dialect or, even worse, an accent. Someone once said a language is a dialect with an army, so Ukrainian has certainly passed that test. Are the languages radically different or is it more of a continuum?
    I have lived in Moscow (before and after 2014) and met many Ukrainians. The general view used to be that Ukrainian was the language of the home but Russian was the main commercial language (so yes - a bit like Welsh & English). I understand that situation has now changed and many Ukrainians now refuse to use Russian. I don't blame them.

I also know various Kazakhs, Uzbeks & other 'stans' and they generally speak Russian as a common language - but don't like Russians one but.

• Options

johnt said:

With the benefit of a nights sleep I have come to the conclusion that Farage does not want to lead a group of 40 Reform MPs. He is trying to hit 20% of the vote but not win more than 2 or 3 seats allowing him to claim the establishment are against him and his turning round the U.K. is being prevented by ‘the blob’. That is, in his mind, the way to maximise brand Nigel and gain his best financial return. Frankly the idea that anyone can possibly think he has the best interests of anyone other than himself at heart is bonkers.

Are you suggesting that he's following the Bialystock and Bloom playbook? We all have to hope that Springtime for Putin doesn't turn out to be a massive hit.
    The massive hit I would like to see is The New Producers around Iran and Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    Russia produces coal.No 6 producer in the world.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Let's be generous and assume the caps lock key is sticky. 😊
    Smutty and slightly off-key considering the, erm, ‘logistics' of it in my case

I put it in caps @RobD to indicate it’s a newspaper headline so don’t be silly
  • Options
    Yeah, but we pay 25p for a plastic bag now so everything is going to be fine.
  • Options
    edited June 22

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Yes, there’s a lot of anti-war sentiment in the States, outside of the political centre there’s lots of people saying what Farage is saying.

But in the US, the argument is that there are more important domestic spending priorities, and that Europe has for too long relied totally on the US military and they need to do this one themselves. Funnily enough, that bit goes down like a cup of cold sick in Europe.

Thankfully, the majority of the Congresscritters and Senators in the US are in that middle, so the support continues for now.
  • Options
    And the plastic bag is fully costed for full profit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Possibly. Also he might feel vindicated - he’s got a video of him making this point in 2014 - that EU accession talks with Ukraine will provoke Putin

Ergo, it’s another case of him being the honest speaker and getting it right and everyone else lying. However he has perhaps misjudged British public opinion - most people either don’t understand the nuances of the Ukrainian war or they are in no mood to hear them. Putin is evil, end of

Sounds like Nigel is somewhat tone deaf as a politician - couldn't resist doing the 'Look at me! I was right! thing when circumstances demanded he quietly join the anti-Putin consensus. Either that or his sense of self-worth is massively out of control.
  • Options
    Roughly flat for 15 years. I bet energy usage is way up over the same period.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 157
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

Farage was foolish to make those comments yesterday - in a basic political way. Bad timing, bad optics. His first big unforced error

He also has long links with Putin’s Russia - like working for RT even after Crimea - which raise eyebrows. I would not be at all surprised if some Russian money is making its way to Reform - but then I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin is pro-SNP either. His aim is to roil and divide the west

However I’ve now spent a month in total in wartime Ukraine. I’ve been to Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv, Chernivtsi and multiple small towns. And I’ve talked to a lot of Ukrainians and read just about all the Ukrainian history there is

The situation is a lot more nuanced than we like to admit. A fair chunk of Ukraine was founded or developed by Russia and has always been seen as quintessentially Russian - eg Odessa. Crimea
    likewise. Even now a lot of Ukrainians will express a liking for Russia and Russians, a cousinhood - and they speak Russian - even if they loathe and fear Putin

The west was misguided in its fairly aggressive expansions - by NATO and the EU - and the apparent attempt to pull Ukraine permanently into a western orbit and thereby forever estranged from
    mother Russia.

Admitting this is not popular.

It's also largely balls, as it minimises Ukraine's wish to join the west.

This wasn't our "aggressive" (a seriously dishonest choice of epithet) expansionism.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromaidan
    I agree and it does make me wonder about the thought processes of some. The reality here is that the decision of the people of Eastern Europe to join the EU and NATO was theirs to make and that decision should be respected by others. Neither of the two organisations has a history of violence or hostility to their neighbours. So using the decisions of some Eastern European countries as a justification for invading Ukraine (which was not even one of the countries involved), is a simple appeasement of a dictator. Farage may want to be Putin’s poodle, and that’s fine, but so close to the commemoration of the anniversary of D Day most right minded European citizens will consider his words disgusting.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,985
    edited June 22
    Leon said:

Darkage. How would you reslove the problem exactly? If you cut a deal with Putin how could you be sure he would keep his word?

You can’t cut a deal with Putin

Ultimately this will end - at least for a while - with some frozen armistice and both sides rearming and a long period of cold hostility but not actual fighting. Like Korea. If we’re lucky

I have heard Ukrainians predict this, so it’s not me being a “fucking appeaser”
    @highwayparadise306

I think it is most probable that it will end like how Leon says. Then how long until it starts up again depends on how things go afterwards in dealings between the West and Russia. Arguably the war started in 2014 and we are 10 years in, with 8 years of a frozen conflict largely whilst Trump was in power and then the west became weak ie in afghanistan. There may be another 20 or even more to go but a lot depends on what happens in Russia post Putin. This is unclear.

If someone thinks Russia can be beaten, they need to provide an answer to the nuclear escalation paradox and the apparent behaviour of the two sides that I have explained above. Another way it could have ended is through the collapse of the regime in Russia, but I have never been convinced that this either desirable (given what may follow afterwards) nor realistic, given the regime has shown so much resilience.

I would agree that the conduct of Russia is terrible, but there are many things that are terrible in the world that we do nothing about and even facilitate in some way, it shoudn't prevent taking a realistic view of trying to solve this conflict.

• Options
    Yes.His self- worth is out of conrol.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,439
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Oops, I accidentally invaded my neighbour because I was scared of a military bloc they weren't in.

Russians do not see Ukraine as a neighbour in the way you are using the word. They see about half of Ukraine as fundamentally - culturally, linguistically, historically - a part of Russia. They founded and built Odessa. They developed Crimea - it is full of tsarist mansions

Westerners arrogantly pontificating about the war without knowing the history are not helping

It’s a shame @Dura_Ace has disappeared (I do hope he’s not lying in some hospital in Kharkiv) - he might be a mad bastard but he knows his onions in this matter

That’s how the British originally thought of Ireland though, and before that the USA. Georgian Dublin was a British city. So were Boston and Philadelphia.

Nobody doubts Russia feels like that, but I’m not sure what the sequitur is.

If nothing else it puts paid to the idea this is some kind of defensive war provoked by NATO expansion. It’s a war of irredentism.
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. You could say that the war was provoked by the weakness of the West because we courted Ukraine to leave the Russian sphere of influence and join our institutions without realising the stakes that were involved.

We might regard it as an evil throwback to the 19th century for Russia to think that way about Ukraine, but the fact is it does, and we knew that, so it was negligent to move ahead with steps towards political and economic integration without offering any security guarantees.
    courted =/= invaded

Russia also "courted" Ukraine. And threatened and subverted and finally tried to murder them.
    Our provocation is being open to cooperation. That's not a reasonable casus belli unless you start from the point that Ukraine already belonged to Russia.
    It is a detail that has gone entirely without mention in this discussion that Ukraine did elect a pro-Russian, Yanukovych, a corrupt oligarch no doubt, but nobody disputes his election was legitimate. It was he that cancelled the EU association agreement, and he was then deposed by the Maidan protests that were supported by the West.

Given that the elected Government had a Russia-oriented policy, it is not purely a question of Ukraine choosing the West over Russia and the necessity of supporting them in that decision.

• Options
    Dreadful :(

I’ve mentioned previously the slave attitude of ‘some’ Indian businessmen. It relates to belief in caste and karma.

If you want another example look at Sunny Balwani during his reign of terror at Theranos.

It’s important to point out though that appalling treatment of workers and near-despotic rule occurs anywhere in any culture, race, or creed and should be exposed equally fairly and rigorously across the board throughout the world.
  • Options
    Nigel needs to stand up and say what he believes in! He believes in himself. I doubt that. He just wants your full attention and belives in nothing at all.
  • Options
    Anyway I’m heading swiftly out. Hope the clouds lift.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not in Asia Pacific it isn't
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @JamesCleverly
    Nigel has been clear that he wants to destroy our party

He excuses Putin’s illegal war in Ukraine

And he is more focussed on inflammatory rhetoric than delivering for working people

We can’t concede to his style of politics, nor allow him in our party

https://x.com/JamesCleverly/status/1804440863835054111
  • Options

RobD said:

Where it has likely already peaked.
  • Options
    Farage will not join the Tory party. He has far bigger plans than that. World leader.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,471
    johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

Farage was foolish to make those comments yesterday - in a basic political way. Bad timing, bad optics. His first big unforced error

He also has long links with Putin’s Russia - like working for RT even after Crimea - which raise eyebrows. I would not be at all surprised if some Russian money is making its way to Reform - but then I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin is pro-SNP either. His aim is to roil and divide the west

However I’ve now spent a month in total in wartime Ukraine. I’ve been to Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv, Chernivtsi and multiple small towns. And I’ve talked to a lot of Ukrainians and read just about all the Ukrainian history there is

The situation is a lot more nuanced than we like to admit. A fair chunk of Ukraine was founded or developed by Russia and has always been seen as quintessentially Russian - eg Odessa. Crimea
    likewise. Even now a lot of Ukrainians will express a liking for Russia and Russians, a cousinhood - and they speak Russian - even if they loathe and fear Putin

The west was misguided in its fairly aggressive expansions - by NATO and the EU - and the apparent attempt to pull Ukraine permanently into a western orbit and thereby forever estranged from
    mother Russia.

This wasn't our "aggressive" (a seriously dishonest choice of epithet) expansionism.
    I agree and it does make me wonder about the thought processes of some. The reality here is that the decision of the people of Eastern Europe to join the EU and NATO was theirs to make and that decision should be respected by others. Neither of the two organisations has a history of violence or hostility to their neighbours. So using the decisions of some Eastern European countries as a justification for invading Ukraine (which was not even one of the countries involved), is a simple appeasement of a dictator. Farage may want to be Putin’s poodle, and that’s fine, but so close to the commemoration of the anniversary of D Day most right minded European citizens will consider his words disgusting.
    Given that you have made the comparison with WW2, do you think that a policy of only sending weapons (and carefully controlling what is on offer and how it can be used) is adequate?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,245
    Hi Nige

Thanks for that mate. Cheques in the post or I can send it via Banksy let me know.

VV

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,025
    Penddu2 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I have lived in Moscow (before and after 2014) and met many Ukrainians. The general view used to be that Ukrainian was the language of the home but Russian was the main commercial language (so yes - a bit like Welsh & English). I understand that situation has now changed and many Ukrainians now refuse to use Russian. I don't blame them.

I also know various Kazakhs, Uzbeks & other 'stans' and they generally speak Russian as a common language - but don't like Russians one but.

Zelensky is, of course, a native Russian speaker.
    I see Leon's already resorting to silly analogies to try and reinforce his dubious point.

Essentially Farage's argument is that our refusing to be Putin's accomplice in re-subjugating an independent Ukraine was provocation.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Anyway I’m heading swiftly out. Hope the clouds lift.

Well, that depends if you're batting or bowling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

No it hasn't, look at the graph closely
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,511
    darkage said:

It is quite amusing that this website is full of people who like to think highly of their knowledge about the world, but the acceptable analysis of Ukraine cannot go beyond 'they have to win and we have to keep giving them whatever they need to do it'. Anyone who disagrees is 'evil' and 'literally a Hitler appeaser'. The standard of debate about this is at a school yard level. Perhaps people are seeking reassurance that they are 'in the right' and they get it, because they have created a climate where no one can actually offer a critical perspective. When someone like Nigel Farage comes along and says something critical, they cannot handle it, jumping to the conclusion that 'he's Putin's shill. It must now be over for him and the Reform Party. Bet accordingly'.

The situation in Ukraine reveals a paradox. Every time Russia starts losing ground, it ramps up talk of using nuclear weapons. When Russia starts looking like it may succeed, then more funding is put in to the defence of Ukraine by its Western backers. This appears to have little to do with good and evil, it is more like a proxy for a great power conflict. The conflict will probably go on and on even after Ukraine has been concluded, as the regime in Russia has been found to be stable and resilient, it is aggrieved and feels under threat, it has a psychology that it is in a state of war, so it is likely to start up another conflict.

If you want to avoid this, you have to think at a strategic level about how to resolve the problem, but not many people appear able to do that.

A few confusions here.
    1) WRT Farage. he is currently the leader of a party in a GE. What he says and how people react is not a RUSI conference for international relations wonks, it's a cage fight in which political lives are going to
    succeed, retire hurt, have limbs cut off and in some cases die a painful death. Get the level right. The most terrifying interpretation of this would be that he is correct in thinking there are votes in this.

2) With Farage there is a pattern in recent times: there is that which he attacks without qualification (other parties, refugees, EU) and that which he only deals with in a qualified and nuanced way: Putin, Russia, NATO, Trump and his multi faceted evil deeds etc. DYOR and draw your own conclusions.

A further pattern is a series of nods to QAnon style conspiracy theory. Ditto.

Finally, we are not short in the UK of nuanced expertise on international politics and military matters. For a site dedicated to laying sound and lawful bets (!). PB does pretty well on the subtleties of east European policy.
  • Options
    johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

But realpolitik is a real political thing, hence the name

Realpolitik says that even if Mexico wanted and voted for a military/economic alliance with China, there is no way the USA would allow that, indeed America would probably invade Mexico to prevent it happening. So China would be stupid to attempt such an alliance, and would not do so. Equally, America would not go into a close military and economic alliance with Mongolia, with clear hostile intent towards Chima, because it would be a casus belli for China

Ukraine is much closer to Russian hearts than Mexico is to the USA or Mongolia is to China

So, arguably, Farage is right that we were foolishly provocative towards Putin, even if it WAS morally correct to offer Ukraine EU accession, possibly NATO membership, as the Ukrainians apparently desired

But that is a nuanced point and PB - like most of Britain - doesn't do nuance on this subject, and this is therefore an error by Farage, possibly a major one
  • Options

Farage will not join the Tory party. He has far bigger plans than that. World leader.

They wouldn't now have him. And that's saying something.

It was vaguely plausible, previously, that he'd stage a reverse takeover. Perhaps more than damaging his current party's electoral prospects, he's made himself toxic to the Tory right.

There is, of course, quite a bit of Putin admiration and defending on the far right in the UK (and much more in the US and some other places). But it just isn't something that even very right wing Tory MPs want to touch.
  • Options
    DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

You're a prick FAKE @Leon

You don't give a shit about Ukraine. You were singing the praises of Putin on here and other sites right up to the war. I hope Ukraine bars you from entering any more. In fact I intend to ensure they do.

You're like your mates Nige and Donald. Disrupt everything and everywhere. All you care about is YOU.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,338

Give Leon a break.Lets focus on the what people think will happen in last part of the campaign and what the final result will be. The person who calls the number of seats for each party will get a congratulations message from me.

@Leon:
    "It's SHITE being a Tory! We're the lowest of the low! The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash, that was shat into civilization! Some people hate the Labour Party, I don't! They're just wankers! We, on the other hand, are about to lose by a massive landslide TO wankers! Can't even find a decent Party to lose an election to! We're ruled by effete arseholes! It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Nigel, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

That is what projections are showing:

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/020123-china-to-maintain-renewables-growth-pace-in-2023-despite-uncertainty
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,567

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Oops, I accidentally invaded my neighbour because I was scared of a military bloc they weren't in.

Russians do not see Ukraine as a neighbour in the way you are using the word. They see about half of Ukraine as fundamentally - culturally, linguistically, historically - a part of Russia. They founded and built Odessa. They developed Crimea - it is full of tsarist mansions

Westerners arrogantly pontificating about the war without knowing the history are not helping

It’s a shame @Dura_Ace has disappeared (I do hope he’s not lying in some hospital in Kharkiv) - he might be a mad bastard but he knows his onions in this matter

That’s how the British originally thought of Ireland though, and before that the USA. Georgian Dublin was a British city. So were Boston and Philadelphia.

Nobody doubts Russia feels like that, but I’m not sure what the sequitur is.

If nothing else it puts paid to the idea this is some kind of defensive war provoked by NATO expansion. It’s a war of irredentism.
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. You could say that the war was provoked by the weakness of the West because we courted Ukraine to leave the Russian sphere of influence and join our institutions without realising the stakes that were involved.

We might regard it as an evil throwback to the 19th century for Russia to think that way about Ukraine, but the fact is it does, and we knew that, so it was negligent to move ahead with steps towards political and economic integration without offering any security guarantees.
    courted =/= invaded

Russia also "courted" Ukraine. And threatened and subverted and finally tried to murder them.
    Our provocation is being open to cooperation. That's not a reasonable casus belli unless you start from the point that Ukraine already belonged to Russia.
    It is a detail that has gone entirely without mention in this discussion that Ukraine did elect a pro-Russian, Yanukovych, a corrupt oligarch no doubt, but nobody disputes his election was legitimate. It was he that cancelled the EU association agreement, and he was then deposed by the Maidan protests that were supported by the West.

Given that the elected Government had a Russia-oriented policy, it is not purely a question of Ukraine choosing the West over Russia and the necessity of supporting them in that decision.

The detail of the leadup to Maidan is fascinating; do look into it. Spoiler: Russia was strong-arming Yanukovych and he made a decision on the basis of what Putin wanted.

That's not exactly the model of the democratic process working as it should, a foreign country dictating policy to your country's leader. In the end, he was convicted of high treason.
  • Options
    Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Farage is right that we were foolishly provocative towards Putin,
    There you have it everyone. This FAKE 'Leon' whose real name we ALL know unmasked for the Putin loving turd that he is
  • Options
    edited June 22

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Quite similar, think more like Spanish and Portuguese. If you spoke only one, you could get the gist of reading a newspaper in the other.

Edit: Spanish and Catalan would be a better comparison.
  • Options
    johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

IIRC correctly no state has to this day attacked an inch of NATO protected territory. Thus far the expansion to the east has been 100% successful. I know this is no guide to the future, but nothing is.

Ask another question: If Ukraine and the Baltic states were all outside
    NATO (instead of a 1-3 split) would liberal democracy in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania be safer today than it is at this minute?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,875
    edited June 22
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Perhaps more importantly, it stops dead any hope he might have had of a reverse takeover of the Conservative party. I can't imagine a scenario where decent types like HYUFD, Big G or Casino would ever accept Farage as leader.

But as JohnT says downthread, I don't think Farage wants to take over the Conservative party, I think his brand depends on being the anti-establishment outsider whipping up fervent outrage against the rigged system that's against him. Very Trumpian. Two or three seats on 20% of the vote would do him very nicely in that respect. That way brand Farage remains intact and he can keep on hoovering up the money from the media appearances.
    Big_G will spend six months telling us how will be resigning as soon as Farage becomes the leader…then when the GE with Farage comes along he’ll still be a member and his wife will again be telling him that he is to vote Tory…..
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 1,003
    edited June 22
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

That is what projections are showing:

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/020123-china-to-maintain-renewables-growth-pace-in-2023-despite-uncertainty
    Mainly because they are burning through it so fast it will start to run out by 2030s.

Asia Pacific Graph also includes india who are still going gangbusters with coal.
  • Options

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

There you have it everyone. This FAKE 'Leon' whose real name we ALL know unmasked for the Putin loving turd that he is
    Arboreal ursine defecation shocker
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,875

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

The random single words in capitals is a very familiar tik on this site.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,906
    Somebody's door-knocking numbers must be disappointing - Conservative posters are being torn down/defaced.

Not the actions of opponents confident of victory...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Basque is emphatically not a dialect, being a language isolate, and hasn't got an army, or a country. And is one of the world's great linguistic miraculous survivals.
  • Options

Somebody's door-knocking numbers must be disappointing - Conservative posters are being torn down/defaced.

Where?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

You don't give a shit about Ukraine. You were singing the praises of Putin on here and other sites right up to the war. I hope Ukraine bars you from entering any more. In fact I intend to ensure they do.

You're like your mates Nige and Donald. Disrupt everything and everywhere. All you care about is YOU.

I love you too, just don't give away our secret
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,945
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Quite similar, think more like Spanish and Portuguese. If you spoke only one, you could get the gist of reading a newspaper in the other.

Edit: Spanish and Catalan would be a better comparison.
    Russian-speaking English friend says she can understand a lot of Ukrainian when spoken, but finds it more confusing when it’s written down.

There’s also a dialect continuum across Russian, Ukrainian, Rusyn and Belarusian. The language of eastern Ukraine is sort of partway between (western) Ukrainian and Russian.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

IIRC correctly no state has to this day attacked an inch of NATO protected territory. Thus far the expansion to the east has been 100% successful. I know this is no guide to the future, but nothing is.

NATO (instead of a 1-3 split) would liberal democracy in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania be safer today than it is at this minute?
    Is your wording because the Argentine invasion of the Falklands doesn’t count?
  • Options
    Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Realpolitik says that even if Mexico wanted and voted for a military/economic alliance with China, there is no way the USA would allow that, indeed America would probably invade Mexico to prevent it happening. So China would be stupid to attempt such an alliance, and would not do so. Equally, America would not go into a close military and economic alliance with Mongolia, with clear hostile intent towards Chima, because it would be a casus belli for China

Ukraine is much closer to Russian hearts than Mexico is to the USA or Mongolia is to China

So, arguably, Farage is right that we were foolishly provocative towards Putin, even if it WAS morally correct to offer Ukraine EU accession, possibly NATO membership, as the Ukrainians apparently desired

But that is a nuanced point and PB - like most of Britain - doesn't do nuance on this subject, and this is therefore an error by Farage, possibly a major one
    So, talking of nuance, what is Farage's view on Ukraine having given up its nuclear weapons, because it's independence in doing so was underwritten by Russia. Then the fuckers invaded Ukraine - becaue they didnt have nukes.

Give Ukraine back a hundred nuclear weapons. Then let's see how belligerant the Russian bear is - and its arse-wipe shills.

In the meantime, fuck of Farage.
  • Options

Or peeps are f-ing sick of the tories. Perish that thought.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

One more ALIAS you mean Sean?
  • Options

Where?
    South Devon.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Basque is emphatically not a dialect, being a language isolate, and hasn't got an army, or a country. And is one of the world's great linguistic miraculous survivals.
    It's marvelously weird, as well

It is so strange: so utterly unlike anything else. I once spent quite a lot of time in the Spanish Basque Country, researching the witches of Zugarramurdi. THE WITCHES OF ZUGARRAMURDI. It doesn't get better than that, if you need a weird and witchy name

https://www.pyreneanexperience.com/witches-of-zugarramurdi/

I've read theories that Basque might be some extraordinary survival from the Ice Age, a pocket of homo sapiens that hid out in the Pyrenees speaking a non-Indo-European tongue. Also, they can look quite Neanderthal
  • Options

algarkirk said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Yes. It is disputed as to whether the territory counts within the treaty, but anyway we didn't invoke it. I don't think NATO covers the Falklands. But I am not an expert!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,314
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Two changes I’d make to gambling regulations:

1. Companies not allowed to decide odds or max limits based on customer profiling.
    2. Companies not allowed to advertise on TV during sports events, nor to sponsor sports teams.

1 seems unfair to the companies, frankly. Would any of us bet with someone you constantly lost to? They are not providing a public service.

2, absolutely. We have gone far too far in removing restrictions on gambling and it causes serious harm.
    1. Will cost the bookies
    2. Will save them a fortune, and have the positive (for Labour) effect of annoying Sky TV.

1. Is about fairness, as the back end data mining is as out of control as the advertising, but it’s not visible to the punters.
    If you think the probablily of some event happening is 10/1 and you decide to let people bet £100 on that outcome, then the bet should be available to anyone who wants it until weight of money makes you adjust the odds or the limit. That’s how the old-fashioned on-course bookies work. The large online companies will, as many here know, reduce you to pennies or close
    accounts arbitrarily, purely because you got
    a big win from them.
    So it is fair that you are allowed to use information on your betting track record but the companies are not allowed to use that information?

The information is massively asymmetric, unless you’re a full-time better running spreadsheets and simulations, yet they dishonestly represent this to their customers. Your average punter thinks they’re betting against a simple computerised version of the on-course bookie, but they’re actually competing against a vastly more complex computer modelling system that makes it almost impossible to win. It’s close to fraud, and it’s feeding increasing amount of addition which
    is public bad. We regulate other public bads such as cigarettes and alcohol advertising, and should regulate gambling advertising in a similar way.
    I’ve no issue with restricting advertising

The issue is in forcing them to be market makers who take risk

• Options

Or our opponents are illiberal and undemocratic. Perish that thought.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,791
    Right, I'm on the high street outside Clueless and 'Freds.

What bets should I ask for peeps?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Although Basque is a dialect continuum. Biscayan (in the west) and Souletin (in the east, in France) are only somewhat mutually intelligible, but the political situation meant the creation of a standard Basque and a common Basque language identity was more important. Which shows that politics still matters when it comes to what we count as a language versus a dialect.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

One more ALIAS you mean Sean?
    I don't remotely mind you hurling abuse at me, but I am not "Sean" and I repeat: doxxing is a bannable offence. Desist
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,985
    The other comment I would make is that this Farage episode reveals how poorly prepared we are for another Trump presidency. The perspective expressed by Farage may well be in the ascendancy at a global level.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,816

Gambling destroys many lives. Of course we should allow gambling responsibly but I would ban gambling adverts.

They are essentially dishonest, because they do not acknowledge that successful punters will be banned.

The nonsense about 'responsible gambling' is also bollox, for the same reason.
    Not banned but heavily restricted. It is like being banned except the betting firm still gets to boast of its millions of open accounts when it reports to the City.

Here is a picture of Ladbrokes limiting my £20 stake to £1.43 on a 20/1 shot back in 2022.

I found the same when I got into betting on cycling - by closely following the sport, and with so many participants in each race, it became reasonably straightforward to find value at the initial market opening.

I was only ever low stakes, but it was a bit galling when I’d be limited to something like 75p.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,309

You are making a massive leap in logic, it's perfectly possible that someone not connected to anything is defacing the posters.

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806
    IanB2 said:

Alex Wickham
    @alexwickham
    ·
    2h
    — there is total fury among Tories at the quality of their campaign

— two ministers say they think Sunak should announce this weekend he understands the public want change and hand over the campaign to Cabinet to make the case for a strong opposition

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1804428407272353814

The chance of the Cabinet arguing that people should go vote LibDem seems low to me?
    There are no depths to which these Tories will not sink in their attempts to harm the Lib Dem campaign.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Yes. It is disputed as to whether the territory counts within the treaty, but anyway we didn't invoke it. I don't think NATO covers the Falklands. But I am not an expert!
    On the contrary, the treaty is quite clear that only North American and European territories are protected.
  • Options

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

So, talking of nuance, what is Farage's view on Ukraine having given up its nuclear weapons, because it's independence in doing so was underwritten by Russia. Then the fuckers invaded Ukraine - becaue they didnt have nukes.

Give Ukraine back a hundred nuclear weapons. Then let's see how belligerant the Russian bear is - and its arse-wipe shills.

Er, its independence post-nukes was also underwritten by the UK and USA. We are complicit
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

An n-gram distance model shows that of the languages surveyed, Russian's closest cousin is Bulgarian. Then Serbian, then Ukrainian. My understanding is that Ukrainian and Russian, and Serbian and Russian, are not mutually intelligible.

Also, there are other ways to measure language similarity.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Er, its independence post-nukes was also underwritten by the UK and USA. We are complicit
    Er, we are upholding that independence. Although Farage would no doubt leave them to their fate of being raped by Russia on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Er, we are upholding that independence. Although Farage would no doubt leave them to their fate of being raped by Russia on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    I mean: we are complicit in helping them make that mistake. They should never have given up their nukes, if they had kept the nukes there is no way Putin would have invaded. They did give up the bomb because we, the Yanks and Putin assured them it would all be fine
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,338
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

An n-gram distance model shows that of the languages surveyed, Russian's closest cousin is Bulgarian. Then Serbian, then Ukrainian. My understanding is that Ukrainian and Russian, and Serbian and Russian, are not mutually intelligible.

Also, there are other ways to measure language similarity.
    Russian place names in Ukraine
    Lvov, Kiev, Nikolayev

Ukrainian names
    Lviv, Kyiv, Mikolayiv (M, not N!)
  • Options
    eek said:

You are making a massive leap in logic, it's perfectly possible that someone not connected to anything is defacing the posters.

Possibly.

What those defacing them don't know is where our hidden animal-trap cameras are located.

There's going to be some fun postings online...
  • Options

Or our opponents are illiberal and undemocratic. Perish that thought.
    Mmmmm, I agree with you about tearing down posters being wrong, but you can't jump from the fact that SOMEONE is doing it to "our opponents".

You would surely not want your party tarred with that brush if one of your more excitable members were caught doing similar.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yeah, but we pay 25p for a plastic bag now so everything is going to be fine.
    I thought the plastic bag levy was 10p?

An amazing impact of a small thing - single use plastic bags from shops are down by 98% since the charge was introduced.

A 5p charge was first introduced in supermarkets in 2015. Since then, usage at the main retailers – Asda, Marks and Spencer, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, The Co-operative Group, Tesco and Waitrose – has dropped by more than 98%.

The average person in England now buys just two single-use carrier bags a year from these businesses, compared with around 140 in 2014 before the charge was introduced.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plastic-bag-use-falls-by-more-than-98-after-charge-introduction
This discussion has been closed.