Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The public want some political bettors to get a criminal record – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,609
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

From that MEE story, this photo of Wes Streeting's constituency office shows it is next door to a shop offering private tutoring of schoolchildren. There are several such shops around here. This is the modern face of private education, soon (one imagines) to be hit by 20 per cent fees alongside Eton and Winchester.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/big-story/uk-election-ilford-north-leanne-mohamad-wes-streeting

What a fucking dump. Is shopfront signage not covered by planning regs?
    The amount of time I spend around bus stations, train stations and taxi ranks, I can confirm that a lot of England looks like that. It's why I'm such a fan of John Harris and such an unfan of Matthew Parris.
    It’s one big reason I’ve basically emigrated. Its so depressing
    edited June 22

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

Farage was foolish to make those comments yesterday - in a basic political way. Bad timing, bad optics. His first big unforced error

He also has long links with Putin’s Russia - like working for RT even after Crimea - which raise eyebrows. I would not be at all surprised if some Russian money is making its way to Reform - but then I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin is pro-SNP either. His aim is to roil and divide the west

However I’ve now spent a month in total in wartime Ukraine. I’ve been to Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv, Chernivtsi and multiple small towns. And I’ve talked to a lot of Ukrainians and read just about all the Ukrainian history there is

The situation is a lot more nuanced than we like to admit. A fair chunk of Ukraine was founded or developed by Russia and has always been seen as quintessentially Russian - eg Odessa. Crimea
    likewise. Even now a lot of Ukrainians will express a liking for Russia and Russians, a cousinhood - and they speak Russian - even if they loathe and fear Putin

The west was misguided in its fairly aggressive expansions - by NATO and the EU - and the apparent attempt to pull Ukraine permanently into a western orbit and thereby forever estranged from
    mother Russia.

Admitting this is not popular.

It's also largely balls, as it minimises Ukraine's wish to join the west.

This wasn't our "aggressive" (a seriously dishonest choice of epithet) expansionism.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromaidan
    I agree and it does make me wonder about the thought processes of some. The reality here is that the decision of the people of Eastern Europe to join the EU and NATO was theirs to make and that decision should be respected by others. Neither of the two organisations has a history of violence or hostility to their neighbours. So using the decisions of some Eastern European countries as a justification for invading Ukraine (which was not even one of the countries involved), is a simple appeasement of a dictator. Farage may want to be Putin’s poodle, and that’s fine, but so close to the commemoration of the anniversary of D Day most right minded European citizens will consider his words disgusting.
    But realpolitik is a real political thing, hence the name

Realpolitik says that even if Mexico wanted and voted for a military/economic alliance with China, there is no way the USA would allow that, indeed America would probably invade Mexico to prevent it happening. So China would be stupid to attempt such an alliance, and would not do so. Equally, America would not go into a close military and economic alliance with Mongolia, with clear hostile intent towards Chima, because it would be a casus belli for China

Ukraine is much closer to Russian hearts than Mexico is to the USA or Mongolia is to China

So, arguably, Farage is right that we were foolishly provocative towards Putin, even if it WAS morally correct to offer Ukraine EU accession, possibly NATO membership, as the Ukrainians apparently desired

But that is a nuanced point and PB - like most of Britain - doesn't do nuance on this subject, and this is therefore an error by Farage, possibly a major one
    So, talking of nuance, what is Farage's view on Ukraine having given up its nuclear weapons, because it's independence in doing so was underwritten by Russia. Then the fuckers invaded Ukraine - becaue they didnt have nukes.

Give Ukraine back a hundred nuclear weapons. Then let's see how belligerant the Russian bear is - and its arse-wipe shills.

In the meantime, fuck of Farage.
    Er, its independence post-nukes was also underwritten by the UK and USA. We are complicit
    Er, we are upholding that independence. Although Farage would no doubt leave them to their fate of being raped by Russia on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    @Leon is probably doing this just so he can get some attention.

AI was closed off - and this one gets a really good reaction and the news is just too good to let pass.
    You’re not even reading what I’m writing. I’ve said multiple times that Putin is an evil tyrant who has launched a “satanic war” and that he must be stopped

I’m merely pointing out that - in my opinion - we misjudged Russia and Putin’s intentions and emotions vis a vis Ukraine. Somewhere out there is a parallel world where we handled this better and Ukraine still gains its independence and yet we avoid this hellish war
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,636
    edited June 22
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

Farage was foolish to make those comments yesterday - in a basic political way. Bad timing, bad optics. His first big unforced error

He also has long links with Putin’s Russia - like working for RT even after Crimea - which raise eyebrows. I would not be at all surprised if some Russian money is making its way to Reform - but then I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin is pro-SNP either. His aim is to roil and divide the west

However I’ve now spent a month in total in wartime Ukraine. I’ve been to Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv, Chernivtsi and multiple small towns. And I’ve talked to a lot of Ukrainians and read just about all the Ukrainian history there is

The situation is a lot more nuanced than we like to admit. A fair chunk of Ukraine was founded or developed by Russia and has always been seen as quintessentially Russian - eg Odessa. Crimea
    likewise. Even now a lot of Ukrainians will express a liking for Russia and Russians, a cousinhood - and they speak Russian - even if they loathe and fear Putin

The west was misguided in its fairly aggressive expansions - by NATO and the EU - and the apparent attempt to pull Ukraine permanently into a western orbit and thereby forever estranged from
    mother Russia.

This wasn't our "aggressive" (a seriously dishonest choice of epithet) expansionism.
    I agree and it does make me wonder about the thought processes of some. The reality here is that the decision of the people of Eastern Europe to join the EU and NATO was theirs to make and that decision should be respected by others. Neither of the two organisations has a history of violence or hostility to their neighbours. So using the decisions of some Eastern European countries as a justification for invading Ukraine (which was not even one of the countries involved), is a simple appeasement of a dictator. Farage may want to be Putin’s poodle, and that’s fine, but so close to the commemoration of the anniversary of D Day most right minded European citizens will consider his words disgusting.

Realpolitik says that even if Mexico wanted and voted for a military/economic alliance with China, there is no way the USA would allow that, indeed America would probably invade Mexico to prevent it happening. So China would be stupid to attempt such an alliance, and would not do so. Equally, America would not go into a close military and economic alliance with Mongolia, with clear hostile intent towards Chima, because it would be a casus belli for China

Ukraine is much closer to Russian hearts than Mexico is to the USA or Mongolia is to China

So, arguably, Farage is right that we were foolishly provocative towards Putin, even if it WAS morally correct to offer Ukraine EU accession, possibly NATO membership, as the Ukrainians apparently desired

But that is a nuanced point and PB - like most of Britain - doesn't do nuance on this subject, and this is therefore an error by Farage, possibly a major one
    So, talking of nuance, what is Farage's view on Ukraine having given up its nuclear weapons, because it's independence in doing so was underwritten by Russia. Then the fuckers invaded Ukraine - becaue they didnt have nukes.

Give Ukraine back a hundred nuclear weapons. Then let's see how belligerant the Russian bear is - and its arse-wipe shills.

Er, its independence post-nukes was also underwritten by the UK and USA. We are complicit
    Er, we are upholding that independence. Although Farage would no doubt leave them to their fate of being raped by Russia on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

AI was closed off - and this one gets a really good reaction and the news is just too good to let pass.
    You’re not even reading what I’m writing. I’ve said multiple times that Putin is an evil tyrant who has launched a “satanic war” and that he must be stopped

I’m merely pointing out that - in my opinion - we misjudged Russia and Putin’s intentions and emotions vis a vis Ukraine. Somewhere out there is a parallel world where we handled this better and Ukraine still gains its independence and yet we avoid this hellish war
    Starting from the position that Putin is the saviour who would rescue the West - which was your original assertion - was hardly showering us with either insight or foresight.

A colossal misjudgement on your part, that puts even your forecasts that Truss would surprise on the upside or Covid kill millions of Brits into the shade.
    Why do the BBC keep putting Anita Anand on Any Answers? She has strengths as a broadcaster, but handling a public phone in really isn’t one of them.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

Starting from the position that Putin is the saviour who would rescue the West - which was your original assertion - was hardly showering us with either insight or foresight.

A colossal misjudgement on your part, that puts even your forecasts that Truss would surprise on the upside or Covid kill millions of Brits into the shade.
    Yeah no I didn’t say that
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

One of your aliases most certainly did.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ll go there

mother Russia.

One of your aliases most certainly did.
    Or indeed this, from you in Nov 2021:
    Leon said:

He is right. He is absolutely right

Read it all. This is the best, smartest, most wisely wide-ranging speech I have heard from any global political leader in a decade. And this is PUTIN

• sarissasarissa Posts: 1,962

My picture of the day (actually taken last Wednesday): Blackpool North station tram, er, station - opened on the 16th.

Nicely in time for our pre-season friendly in Fleetwood next month. B)
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,962
    Heathener said:

Anyway I’m heading swiftly out. Hope the clouds lift.

I hope you know all her lyrics. You’ll feel left out otherwise.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,115
    James_M said:

@Cookie Enjoy your time up north in the wonderful East Lancashire and North Yorkshire. Best part of the country.

I will not dignify the critique of Clitheroe with much of a response. A fine town that educated me for two years. Home to some cracking pubs/bars too. And the delightful Stansfields hot beef sandwich.

Clitheroe is indeed a fine town - I'm sure Dixiedean was only joshing. My delight in leaving it in a northerly direction is because only one train a week does this. And I was on it!
    Anyway, happy to report that the day went splendidly. I got off at Ribblehead and was too eager to get going to get on the train to Kirby Stephen: I set off for Hawes and Wensleydale on the route suggested by @El_Capitano yesterday. I love the high dales: there is so much space, so much quiet. The sky was full of swallows amd not much else; I was cycling eastwards at about 12mph in a westerly wind of about 12mph and the effect was of utter stillness; it was like being in a hot air balloon. It was also much, much easier than cycling usually is.
    In a whimsical fit of masochism I decided at Askrigg to turn left and go over the road to Muker; I can still feel this in my thighs six hours later. I didn't even get the benefit of a long descent as the downward road was so steep that I had to hold the brakes the whole way down. But it was the right decision: Swaledale is magical - my favourite of the Dales - and I had a splendid lunch in the Pumch Bowl near Healaugh.
    Progress after lunch was somewhat slower, but Swaledale is lovely all the way to Richmond. Brief mooch around Richmond, and then on to Brompton in Swale and back by the recommended route - which was surprisingly lovely in the late afternoon sun, the smell.of freshly cut hay wafting off the fields.
    Made it to Northallerton by 5.15 and now on the train back to Manchester. It feels inconceivably fast and busy.
    I will now use my one photo of the day to illustrrate the above waffle:

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,115
    Cookie said:

James_M said:

@Cookie Enjoy your time up north in the wonderful East Lancashire and North Yorkshire. Best part of the country.

I will not dignify the critique of Clitheroe with much of a response. A fine town that educated me for two years. Home to some cracking pubs/bars too. And the delightful Stansfields hot beef sandwich.

Clitheroe is indeed a fine town - I'm sure Dixiedean was only joshing. My delight in leaving it in a northerly direction is because only one train a week does this. And I was on it!
    Anyway, happy to report that the day went splendidly. I got off at Ribblehead and was too eager to get going to get on the train to Kirby Stephen: I set off for Hawes and Wensleydale on the route suggested by @El_Capitano yesterday. I love the high dales: there is so much space, so much quiet. The sky was full of swallows amd not much else; I was cycling eastwards at about 12mph in a westerly wind of about 12mph and the effect was of utter stillness; it was like being in a hot air balloon. It was also much, much easier than cycling usually is.
    In a whimsical fit of masochism I decided at Askrigg to turn left and go over the road to Muker; I can still feel this in my thighs six hours later. I didn't even get the benefit of a long descent as the downward road was so steep that I had to hold the brakes the whole way down. But it was the right decision: Swaledale is magical - my favourite of the Dales - and I had a splendid lunch in the Pumch Bowl near Healaugh.
    Progress after lunch was somewhat slower, but Swaledale is lovely all the way to Richmond. Brief mooch around Richmond, and then on to Brompton in Swale and back by the recommended route - which was surprisingly lovely in the late afternoon sun, the smell.of freshly cut hay wafting off the fields.
    Made it to Northallerton by 5.15 and now on the train back to Manchester. It feels inconceivably fast and busy.

And as this is a politics site, I can report the following: most of my ride was in the Richmond seat of Rishi Sunak. The only flags I saw were two Lib Dem flags in Richmond itself, and one Labour one in deepest Swaledale. We don't really do flags much any more, and in retrospect it seems a bit odd that we ever did - almost a bit rude; an unprovoked and slightly aggressive conversation on a subject we normally tacitly agree to step discreetly around. Four elderly cyclists whose tops identified them as locals were discussing with some glee the possibililty of Rishi losing his seat, but it wasn't clear they favoured anyone else - though it was made very clear none of them liked Farage and that they liked Galloway even less. Politics almost seemed an intrusion on the day though, and obviously never came up in any conversations I had (I feel like I've been talking to people all day, at least whenever I've been stationary - northerners are a chatty bunch once you get north of the big cities.)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,678
    Cookie said:

James_M said:

Ooh, sticky toffee pudding and ice cream? Jealous 🤢
This discussion has been closed.