Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There are signs that Farage could be having second thoughts

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you need to offer better than evens for that ^_~

Indeed so. A lot better than Evens. That is the point.
    Socrates ran away clutching his purse making a clucking noise again ?
    The bet's open to you too TGOHF. You can have a bet of £50 at evens that Cameron will hold a simple in versus out referendum based on a completed renegotiation with all relevant EU stakeholders. Will you take me up, or run away clucking?
  • Options
    I would imagine that the ordinary person in the street would welcome the Prime Ministers proposals as sensible and fair. Most of the electorate are not into politics as per this forum and will judge the proposals on their merit. There is no way that those who want to exit the EU could ever be pacified
    unless the Prime Minister said he would lead the Country out which was never going to happen
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

The bet's open to you too TGOHF. You can have a bet of £50 at evens that Cameron will hold a simple in versus out referendum based on a completed renegotiation with all relevant EU stakeholders. Will you take me up, or run away clucking?
    Yes - if he has a majority.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

It would depend where UKIP took their support from in those seats.

But, if you look at the Ashcroft polling, you see UKIP winning 14% in Watford, and 18% in Stockton South, both ultra-marginal seats, and both of which put the Tories in the lead. If Labour can't win either Watford or Stockton South, their chances of winning an election are remote.

Actually that is a very good point. It might turn out that the net effect of UKIP on Lab vs Con is more neutral than we have been expecting, depending on how sentiment shifts over the next few months. As I've said before, I think it is at least possible that there will be more swingback from UKIP to the Conservatives (relative to where we stand now) than to Labour. But that remains to be seen, and doesn't alter the fact that anyone who doesn't vote Conservative in a Conservative-target seat is by their vote making a Conservative government and the referendum less likely, and therefore a Miliband government more likely. Up to them, of course - I'm not saying the Conservatives have any droit de seigneur! But that is the reality.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Agreed, with the only other condition was "by the end of 2017", as per Cameron's commitment. Presumably that's not an issue at your end.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

Sean_F said:

Can someone please explain how voting UKIP somehow means helping Ed Milliband to get elected?

Voting UKIP in Rochester and Clacton meant electing UKIP candidates. Voting UKIP in Heywood & Middleton, Rotherham, Wythenshawe, and South Shields meant that UKIP came a clear second behind Labour. Voting UKIP in Eastleigh meant that UKIP came a clear second behind the Lib Dems.

And what about voting UKIP in Hastings & Rye, or Kingswood, or Broxtowe?
    Broxtowe's supposedly a UKIP target. They did win there in the Euros, and certainly they are much more visible in terms of street campaigning than the Tories. I think that a nice 50-50 split would be nice. :-)

• Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I would imagine that the ordinary person in the street would welcome the Prime Ministers proposals as sensible and fair. Most of the electorate are not into politics as per this forum and will judge the proposals on their merit. There is no way that those who want to exit the EU could ever be pacified
    unless the Prime Minister said he would lead the Country out which was never going to happen

I admire your optimism. 77% of the electorate want immigration cut, 56% want it cut by a lot. A speech talking about tinkering with benefit payments, which he is unlikely to get past other EU countries, is not going to float their boat.
  • Options
    Back in two hours to finish up the bet.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Does the referendum have to be legally-binding, or not, to win the bet?

I can't see how it can be legally binding in the UK, given that parliament is sovereign.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Sorry - only other condition was "by the end of 2017", as per Cameron's commitment. Presumably that's not an issue at your end.
    Hmm - before that why wouldn't you take up Richard's bet ? Why the big caveat about official negotiations with all EU authorities blah blah ? Seems like you are trying to trick me.

The bet should be if Cam wins a majority will there be a Uk wide referendum held on EU membership with the option of out on the table.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Sean_F said:

Can someone please explain how voting UKIP somehow means helping Ed Milliband to get elected?

Voting UKIP in Rochester and Clacton meant electing UKIP candidates. Voting UKIP in Heywood & Middleton, Rotherham, Wythenshawe, and South Shields meant that UKIP came a clear second behind Labour. Voting UKIP in Eastleigh meant that UKIP came a clear second behind the Lib Dems.

Broxtowe's supposedly a UKIP target. They did win there in the Euros, and certainly they are much more visible in terms of street campaigning than the Tories. I think that a nice 50-50 split would be nice. :-)

I'd guess an MP who's a Minister would have less time to campaign locally, than a lobby fodder backbencher.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Sean_F said:

@Socrates, No, the bet is about whether David Cameron, or his Conservative successor if he's not PM at the time, will keep his promise and offer the referendum which the Kippers claim they want. It is not about what anyone else will do. It was offered in response to the statement made by you and others that he cannot be trusted.

That is the offer. I understand why no-one takes me up on it. They know I am correct, but can't bring themselves to admit it, because it makes a complete nonsense of the UKIP platform.

The terms as stated are still available to anyone credit-worthy, up to £1000. I don't expect any takers.

Sean_F said:

@Socrates, No, the bet is about whether David Cameron, or his Conservative successor if he's not PM at the time, will keep his promise and offer the referendum which the Kippers claim they want. It is not about what anyone else will do. It was offered in response to the statement made by you and others that he cannot be trusted.

That is the offer. I understand why no-one takes me up on it. They know I am correct, but can't bring themselves to admit it, because it makes a complete nonsense of the UKIP platform.

The terms as stated are still available to anyone credit-worthy, up to £1000. I don't expect any takers.

Was the sindy ref binding? Can any referendum be legally binding? Referendums do not pass laws. If the tories have a majority of 1 or are in a minority govt or coalition then would it, the following legislation pass parliament? Indeed could the legislation get through?
    In that event Cameron could call an election, but would a party dare ignore a referendum result?

• Options

I think that a nice 50-50 split would be nice. :-)

I'm sure you do, Nick!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Sorry - only other condition was "by the end of 2017", as per Cameron's commitment. Presumably that's not an issue at your end.
    Hmm - before that why wouldn't you take up Richard's bet ? Why the big caveat about official negotiations with all EU authorities blah blah ? Seems like you are trying to trick me.

The bet should be if Cam wins a majority will there be a Uk wide referendum held on EU membership with the option of out on the table.
    Socrates reverse gear in 3, 2, 1, ...
  • Options

But that remains to be seen, and doesn't alter the fact that anyone who doesn't vote Conservative in a Conservative-target seat is by their vote making a Conservative government and the referendum less likely, and therefore a Miliband government more likely. Up to them, of course - I'm not saying the Conservatives have any droit de seigneur! But that is the reality.

Most of the Tory/Kipper waverers on here seem to be in rock steady Tory seats. Patrick has Dominic Raab, if he goes down Farage will be in No10. For me Jesse Norman won't be going anywhere unless the LDs have a startling recovery.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'd guess an MP who's a Minister would have less time to campaign locally, than a lobby fodder backbencher.
    Rather I would suggest like Party Leaders who happen to be MEPs, and had two major byelections in the last month... and yet we have this thread.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited November 2014
    On topic, Maggie had a suitable four-letter word for Farage.

No, not that one - the other one....
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Not convinced Reckless (or indeed majority of kippers) are small state or libertarian. I suspect most of the WWC ex-Labour element are more at the spendy end of the spectrum. I think the left / right inconsistency will ultimately hurt UKIP as it has the LibDems. They're being wildly successful at grafting the front end of a horse onto a donkey's arse. There'll be a civil war in UKIP over size of the state and cultural conservtism at some point. Which I hope Carswell wins.

Carswell will be swamped.
  • Options
    Incidentally, isn't it remarkable how irrelevant Labour are to political debate in the UK nowadays?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Bexhill & Battle Conservatives to select tonight. Candidates are James Cleverly, Suella Fernandes, Huw Merriman, Jeremy Quin:

http://www.bexhillandbattleconservatives.com/parliamentary-candidate-may-2015
  • Options

Incidentally, isn't it remarkable how irrelevant Labour are to political debate in the UK nowadays?

Who ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell ‏@RedHotSquirrel 1h1 hour ago
    Population #density per sq mile

1,054 England
    840 Massachusetts
    739 Connecticut
    416 New York State
    246 California
    91 Texas

I see the kippers know as much about Geography as Mosques in Westminster.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Yet they're still on course for a minority Gov't... like a political submarine.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Bexhill & Battle Conservatives to select tonight. Candidates are James Cleverly, Suella Fernandes, Huw Merriman, Jeremy Quin:

http://www.bexhillandbattleconservatives.com/parliamentary-candidate-may-2015

I was wondering what Huw was up to (he resigned as Chair of Wealden Conservatives a few weeks ago).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think many people fall into one of two camps, those that think Labour will never be in government, and those that think that Labour will implode within a month if they do get elected the first time they have to cut some departmental budgets.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Interesting to see how the votes are being distributed in that poll Shadsy posted earlier:

Lib Dem (68):
    SNP - 10
    Con - 11
    Lab - 16
    Green - 11
    Ind - 9

Green (208)
    SNP - 87
    Con - 17
    Lab - 33
    Ind - 42

Next out - Con - who'l benefit, Tartan Tories or Unionists?

Con (359)
    SNP - 29
    Lab - 100
    Ind- 83

No transfer: 147

Ind (914)
    SNP - 229
    Lab - 239

No transfer: 446

So Tories very anti-SNP while the Indie split on SNP & Labour but NOTA clearly ahead.

Interesting spot. It's a mixed area - former mining/industrial, farming, Edinburgh upmarket commuters - but in the old days one used not so much to count the Labour vote but use the coal wagon weighbridge to measure it.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Indigo said:

EU immigration is mostly transient and with econimic progress will return home. Our tragedy is that we have people who are unemployable on the scap heap.
    So based on total crass ignorance kippers will hand us over to a europhile labour government.

To be fair UKIP is completely the Tories creation, when they signed Maastricht. It has largely grown due to the Tories when they disowned the shire tories and social conservatives. If Dave had hugged a few less hoodies, followed a few less huskies, and generally behaved like a Tory and not a Guardianista, UKIP would be no where.
    As someone else has pointed out - we do not have UKIP any more, it is dead. What we have is BNPlite.

I am happy to vote for a decent PM in Cameron, a totally typical mainstream tory and not a shady dog whistling ting tong hating racist. You are the one who has to live with yourself, not me.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Pulpstar said:

I think many people fall into one of two camps, those that think Labour will never be in government, and those that think that Labour will implode within a month if they do get elected the first time they have to cut some departmental budgets.
    In by May, out by September would be nice.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought Cameron said he would not take the role of PM if he couldn't offer a referendum? So whether he has a majority or not doesn't come into it
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Indigo said:

But that remains to be seen, and doesn't alter the fact that anyone who doesn't vote Conservative in a Conservative-target seat is by their vote making a Conservative government and the referendum less likely, and therefore a Miliband government more likely. Up to them, of course - I'm not saying the Conservatives have any droit de seigneur! But that is the reality.

Most of the Tory/Kipper waverers on here seem to be in rock steady Tory seats. Patrick has Dominic Raab, if he goes down Farage will be in No10. For me Jesse Norman won't be going anywhere unless the LDs have a startling recovery.
    Hereford has its own very local brand of UKIP, It's Our County, perhaps they stand.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

'‘He has marched us right up the hill and then pulled us down again. He’s probably lost the election for us today. Whether this will set something off, I do not know. There will be calls over the weekend to decide what to do.’

Another senior eurosceptic says:

‘I am in complete despair about it. It is as minimal as you can get. If this is what the renegotiation is going to be like, there isn’t going to be renegotiation, is there? The idea that we would leave the European Union just on the question of what we’re going to pay migrants in benefits, that’s like dying on the barbed wire for a tin of baked beans.’ "

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/enraged-euro-rebels-threaten-trouble-after-camerons-immigration-speech-fails-to-satisfy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Like you they are hysterics.
    I do not care what the renegotiations are like. I would have thought a eurosceptic would want them to fail.
    Whatever they are we will get a referendum.
    The only thing I worry about is the economic uncertainty whilst we either renegotiate or in the end leave and enter something else.
    The end result will not be much different if we can maintain business confidence whilst in the middle of the process.

The typical kipper notion that we can tell the world to go away by the act of leving the EU is of course absurd.
    Canada already has large immigration (21%) and has negotiated a free trade deal with the EU which enhances free movement of labour.
    Norway -- ?
    The total population that is either born outside Norway, or has one or two parents born abroad, or has one or more grandparents born abroad is 1,100,000 to 5,017,500 (which equals 21.9 percent).
    86.2% of the total population are Ethnic Norwegians and more than 660,000 (13,2%) are migrants and their descendants (110,000] second generation migrants born in Norway).
    Of these 660 000 immigrants and their descendants 325,000 (49%)] have a non-Western background (Turkey, Morocco, Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan, Iran).

I will not bore you with what the immigrant population of Switzerland is.

EU immigration is mostly transient and with econimic progress will return home. Our tragedy is that we have people who are unemployable on the scap heap.
    So based on total crass ignorance kippers will hand us over to a europhile labour government.

"I will not bore you..."

Haven't we had enough broken pledges for one day?
    No surprise that you want to ignore the facts of life in the outside world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    Indigo said:

Indeed. If I was in a Labour/Tory marginal my vote would 100% be Dave's. But because of my location I have the luxury of using my vote as effectively a protest. I certainly want Ozzy as Chancellor (despite all the Alanbrooke type misgivings). But I am a firm BOOer. If I lived in Doncaster North I'd be voting UKIP for sure!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

As someone else has pointed out - we do not have UKIP any more, it is dead. What we have is BNPlite.

That someone was you, the member that goes around saying ting-tong every five minutes as if it proved anything except you like the sound of racial epithets. If a tory used the N-word would you go around repeating it every few minutes ? I think I should going around saying duck-house for balance.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought Cameron said he would not take the role of PM if he couldn't offer a referendum? So whether he has a majority or not doesn't come into it
    He has, I think.

The offer is a clear potential hostage to fortune on a Con minority or coalition Gov't. He'll implement it if he gets a majority but I'd have thought Evens on a Conservative GOV'T for the pledge to be offered would be a fair price (Void if other) - though not sure which side of the bet I'd like to be on.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

'‘He has marched us right up the hill and then pulled us down again. He’s probably lost the election for us today. Whether this will set something off, I do not know. There will be calls over the weekend to decide what to do.’

Another senior eurosceptic says:

‘I am in complete despair about it. It is as minimal as you can get. If this is what the renegotiation is going to be like, there isn’t going to be renegotiation, is there? The idea that we would leave the European Union just on the question of what we’re going to pay migrants in benefits, that’s like dying on the barbed wire for a tin of baked beans.’ "

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/enraged-euro-rebels-threaten-trouble-after-camerons-immigration-speech-fails-to-satisfy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Like you they are hysterics.
    I do not care what the renegotiations are like. I would have thought a eurosceptic would want them to fail.
    Whatever they are we will get a referendum.
    The only thing I worry about is the economic uncertainty whilst we either renegotiate or in the end leave and enter something else.
    The end result will not be much different if we can maintain business confidence whilst in the middle of the process.

The typical kipper notion that we can tell the world to go away by the act of leving the EU is of course absurd.
    Canada already has large immigration (21%) and has negotiated a free trade deal with the EU which enhances free movement of labour.
    Norway -- ?
    The total population that is either born outside Norway, or has one or two parents born abroad, or has one or more grandparents born abroad is 1,100,000 to 5,017,500 (which equals 21.9 percent).
    86.2% of the total population are Ethnic Norwegians and more than 660,000 (13,2%) are migrants and their descendants (110,000] second generation migrants born in Norway).
    Of these 660 000 immigrants and their descendants 325,000 (49%)] have a non-Western background (Turkey, Morocco, Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan, Iran).

I will not bore you with what the immigrant population of Switzerland is.

"I will not bore you..."

Haven't we had enough broken pledges for one day?
    No surprise that you want to ignore the facts of life in the outside world.
    Come on, you said you wouldn't bore me
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited November 2014

The main danger is not that Cameron won't offer a referendum. The bigger danger is this: were 'out' to win that referendum (which would be odds against, if Cameron campaigns to stay in) would Cameron really take Britain out of the EU? We do not trust him to lead Britain out of the EU. We feel that Cameron would somehow finesse the position so we'd stay in.

The best chance of leaving the EU is if the tory party campaigned to leave. UKIP does not believe that they would under Cameron.

If you want to quit the EU, there is currently only one rational choice. Voting for UKIP.

The stronger UKIP becomes, the more likely we are to leave the EU. We are making progress.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Stephen Kinnock: "Realistically we must now be prepared for coalition." http://t.co/vwR6xLUJut Interview by @mehdirhasan
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

No idea - not sure how that impacts the bet though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

He has, I think.

The offer is a clear potential hostage to fortune on a Con minority or coalition Gov't. He'll implement it if he gets a majority but I'd have thought Evens on a Conservative GOV'T for the pledge to be offered would be a fair price (Void if other) - though not sure which side of the bet I'd like to be on.
    Yes, the bet should be if Cameron is PM in 2017 will there be a referendum or not. Majority doesn't come into it
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2014
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

He has, I think.

He said something that sounds like that - IIRC "If I am Prime Minister, this will happen". But this was in a speech full of things that he must have known wouldn't happen, so maybe it'll turn out to mean something different.
  • Options

If you want to quit the EU, there is currently only one rational choice. Voting for UKIP.

If you want to quit the EU, putting Ed in No 10 is not rational. It is monumental self-harm.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If you want to quit the EU, putting Ed in No 10 is not rational. It is monumental self-harm.
    Think longer term. Think Machiavelli. An Ed premiership could give BOO rocket boosters.
  • Options
    @isam Heard any news on your application for Islington South ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

He has, I think.

He said something that sounds like that - IIRC "If I am Prime Minister, this will happen". But this was in a speech full of things that he must have known wouldn't happen, so maybe it'll turn out to mean something different.
    "David Cameron gives 'cast iron' guarantee over EU referendum

"I’ve said very clearly that whatever the outcome of the next general election – and of course I want an overall majority and I’m hoping and believing I can win an overall majority – but people should be in no doubt that I will not become Prime Minster unless I can guarantee that we can hold that referendum."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10822938/David-Cameron-gives-cast-iron-guarantee-over-EU-referendum.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

He has, I think.

Yes, the bet should be if Cameron is PM in 2017 will there be a referendum or not. Majority doesn't come into it
    Thats the difference - if there was a choice between 5 years of Ed + Lds + SNP and no referendum or 5 years of Con + LDs + SNP and no referendum as the price for confidence + supply - I would take the latter.
  • Options
    Anyone know by the way how Dave's speech is being reported in Mordor?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    AndyJS said:
    Universities are meant to be places where your own views are challenged, debated, and held up to scrutiny.

Too many student unions want them to be places of Marxist conformity.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Think longer term. Think Machiavelli. An Ed premiership could give BOO rocket boosters.

How many more treaties could he sign while Kippers are "thinking long term"? He could even join the ******* Euro

It's insanity
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Graham Moore UKIP ‏@GrahamHmoore 8m8 minutes ago Welwyn Garden City, East
    @SuzanneEvans1 ANTI UKIP petition going round NHS and workers are BEING forced to sign it, if they don't they are "accused" of being racist

A just reward for the flip flopping over the NHS? Ironic after the left wing shift at your Conference!
  • Options

The Kippers are angry (try not to hide your surprise!)

Der Spiegel is accusing Cameron of blackmailing the EU

Yvette Cooper claims they were her ideas all along

And the Guardian shrieks that it's a race to the bottom on immigration.

I think we may reasonably conclude that Cameron has got it spot-on.

Peter Bone - ''This is a huge step forward, it’s banning benefits for four years, returning people who are criminals, many of these are central measures which we are right to implement. I don’t think the Prime Minister will succeed and I look forward to joining him on the campaign trail for a ‘No’ vote which will happen before 2017. It’s only the Conservatives that are attempting to do it, it’s a step forward, ''

Mark Pritchard - ''The speech was necessarily thoughtful and politically achievable. It also rightly balanced the needs of the UK economy whilst recognising public concerns over the speed and scale of some EU migration. The new benefit curbs are welcome and will act as a natural brake on those from the EU who may be temped to come to the UK as benefit tourists.''
    (the above from The Spectator which others simply cherry picked the headline)

What Peter Bone needs to recognise is that I too will vote for a 'No', but the reality is that being in the EEA will make limited difference to immigration. Its being driven by other things, the EU just makes it 'easier'. It will make limited difference to EU single market regulations. It will make limited difference to EU payments. We will have to live with the EU and if outside it we will have no influence. And unless we vote tory ad infinitum then at some stage a Labour govt will take us closer to it again.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Indigo said:

To be fair UKIP is completely the Tories creation, when they signed Maastricht. It has largely grown due to the Tories when they disowned the shire tories and social conservatives. If Dave had hugged a few less hoodies, followed a few less huskies, and generally behaved like a Tory and not a Guardianista, UKIP would be no where.

I am happy to vote for a decent PM in Cameron, a totally typical mainstream tory and not a shady dog whistling ting tong hating racist. You are the one who has to live with yourself, not me.
    It's just as well UKIP doesn't have prominent members telling police officers that they're "f*cking plebs."

• Options
    "Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 9h9 hours ago

Comparisons between Ukip and the 1980s SDP are misleading. Ukip's voters are more loyal. My latest for @timesredbox http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/2015-election-campaign/ukip-supporters-have-strong-bond-with-party …"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

Quitting the EU is more likely to happen under Miliband than under Cameron. The stronger UKIP becomes, the more likely it will be that any PM will offer a referendum. 'Out' under a weak EM govt is by far our best chance.

• Options

Its being driven by other things, the EU just makes it 'easier'.

Yup. It's AMAZING that lots of people want to come to a country with the fastest growing economy in the G7...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

How many more treaties could he sign while Kippers are "thinking long term"? He could even join the ******* Euro

It's insanity
    Ed could sign us up to a 15 year leaving the EU notice period whilst PM in the name of "stability" - that would suit the Kipper "long term" plan.
  • Options
    Mr. P, I agree. It's too clever by half for sceptics to wish for PM Miliband.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    MikeK said:

Graham Moore UKIP ‏@GrahamHmoore 8m8 minutes ago Welwyn Garden City, East
    @SuzanneEvans1 ANTI UKIP petition going round NHS and workers are BEING forced to sign it, if they don't they are "accused" of being racist

Fits in with the report I just posted about the UKIP candidate for Norwich South being banned from a debate at the University of East Anglia.

Both are totally counterproductive IMO. Amazing UKIP's opponents can't see that.
  • Options

Quitting the EU is more likely to happen under Miliband than under Cameron.

Ok, my mistake. I thought we were debating reality.

Carry on...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

He has, I think.

"David Cameron gives 'cast iron' guarantee over EU referendum

"I’ve said very clearly that whatever the outcome of the next general election – and of course I want an overall majority and I’m hoping and believing I can win an overall majority – but people should be in no doubt that I will not become Prime Minster unless I can guarantee that we can hold that referendum."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10822938/David-Cameron-gives-cast-iron-guarantee-over-EU-referendum.html

Cameron can still do it from a coalition - it would just need to be a red line in the coalition negotiations.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Quitting the EU is more likely to happen under Miliband than under Cameron. The stronger UKIP becomes, the more likely it will be that any PM will offer a referendum. 'Out' under a weak EM govt is by far our best chance.

By what mechanism would we leave under "no referendum Ed"- a twitter hashtag trending ?

Give me strength.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

It's insanity
    Thats a permanent danger. If Dave wins, and hold the referendum, and wins by say 55/45. Come a Labour win in 2020 all the above still applies. The only way you can stop Labour having any realistic chance of taking us into the Euro, and signing all sorts of idiotic treaties, is by not being in the EU.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

It's insanity
    Thats a permanent danger. If Dave wins, and hold the referendum, and wins by say 55/45. Come a Labour win in 2020 all the above still applies. The only way you can stop Labour having any realistic chance of taking us into the Euro, and signing all sorts of idiotic treaties, is by not being in the EU.
    No, the only way you can stop Labour having any realistic chance of taking us into the Euro, and not signing all sorts of idiotic treaties, is by ensuring Labour never get power again.

But UKIP are quite happy to see Ed as Prime Minister. Which is just fecking bizarre in the extreme....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Indigo said:

I've finally had enough of your bull and it stops right now.

Would you would provide an explanation, if UKIP are so damned racist why myself (Italian), Sunil (Indian) and MikeK (Jewish) are supporters/members?

Why are so many UKIP candidates members of ethnic minorities?

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5374/tooting_view_we_re_back_to_racism_smears_against_ukip

By the way, which ethnic minority are you a member of?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

Under what circumstances would we have a referendum under Labour ?

• Options

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

It's insanity
    No, the only way you can stop Labour having any realistic chance of taking us into the Euro, and not signing all sorts of idiotic treaties, is by ensuring Labour never get power again.

But UKIP are quite happy to see Ed as Prime Minister. Which is just fecking bizarre in the extreme....
    Now you're dreaming, even under Thatcher, the Tories most totemic leader, the reign came to an end, Labour got in, it will always happen. Cameron isn't Thatcher, he wont last 11 years, especially not making promises that he can't possibly keep even with a majority. Leaving the EU would mean at best starting negotiations all over again which would take decades, not something a labour government could attempt.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Scott_P said:

Just not going to happen under Ed. Bit like saying Scotland less likely to become independent if Sturgeon loses Holyrood elections because Murphy ( or whoever ) will balls it up.

You want a chance at out? Hold your nose and vote Dave. Otherwise you've got five years of Ed signing away things you won't like.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Delusional. Ed Miliband has the EU written through his DNA. As do all of the senior Labour figures.

Under Labour YOU GET NO VOICE ON THE EU. You take it. Grasp your ankles, Britain, and assume the position.

When Ed joins the Euro (without a referendum) there will be a smirking Nigel Farage on the back of the 50 Euro note - with a scroll reading "Without whom none of this would have been possible".

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

It's insanity

Now you're dreaming, even under Thatcher, the Tories most totemic leader, the reign came to an end, Labour got in, it will always happen. Cameron isn't Thatcher, he wont last 11 years, especially not making promises that he can't possibly keep even with a majority. Leaving the EU would mean at best starting negotiations all over again which would take decades, not something a labour government could attempt.
    Your lack of ambition in replacing Labour shines through for all to see.
  • Options
    Perhaps a Kipper can describe a scenario in a few bullet points how we would have a referendum under Ed between 2015-2020. No drug tests so knock yourselves out..
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

Haha you wont catch me drinking at lunchtime, I have had two protein shakes all day!

I think there is a chance that Miliband may offer one if he continues to fall in the polls, but the main reason is not that Miliband will offer one at all but that a weak Labour minority would be so unpopular that there could be a vote of no confidence/snap GE a year or two in. Then a Tory BOO LOTO could campaign with UKIP to leave.

The new Labour leader could well be pro referendum, there are plenty in the party who are inc Len McCluske, Ed Balls, Jon Cruddas.

I understand you are a Conservative and want a Conservative PM at all costs but I am not and real change means getting rid of the men at the top For that to happen UKIP have to get as many votes as possible

Also, regardless, I wouldn't vote tactically, I would always vote for the party I want to win. Could never vote for Cameron, as I think he is insincere

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Does anyone know if the Irish are required to have a referendum to approve EU treaty changes?
  • Options
    The Isle of Wight hasn't had a by-election since 1904. Can any constituency beat that?

http://dr-alun-wyburn-powell.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-seat-with-110000-voters-which-hasnt.html
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

Haha you wont catch me drinking at lunchtime, I have had two protein shakes all day!

I think there is a chance that Miliband may offer one if he continues to fall in the polls, but the main reason is not that Miliband will offer one at all but that a weak Labour minority would be so unpopular that there could be a vote of no confidence/snap GE a year or two in. Then a Tory BOO LOTO could campaign with UKIP to leave.

The new Labour leader could well be pro referendum, there are plenty in the party who are inc Len McCluske, Ed Balls, Jon Cruddas.

I understand you are a Conservative and want a Conservative PM at all costs but I am not and real change means getting rid of the men at the top For that to happen UKIP have to get as many votes as possible

Also, regardless, I wouldn't vote tactically, I would always vote for the party I want to win. Could never vote for Cameron, as I think he is insincere

No not a referendum under Ed. Meanwhile 2-3 years of utter crap government and economic ruin.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

And if Ed has a majority of say 30-40 how's the no confidence going to happen? He only needs to be say 34-32 ahead.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,800
    Scott_P said:

If you want to do anything under FPTP, then the rational position is to consider who has a chance of winning in your particular constituency and voting for the best option in that context. It is pretty meaningless to make any general statement: the answer is going to be very different whether you are in Belfast East (vote DUP if you want to quit EU, I guess), Clacton (vote UKIP if you want to quit EU) or Hampstead & Kilburn (Conservative would be your best hope here). Ditto if you want to stay in the EU and that's your key policy issue (Alliance, arguably Conservative, and Labour, respectively).
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Delusional. Ed Miliband has the EU written through his DNA. As do all of the senior Labour figures.

Under Labour YOU GET NO VOICE ON THE EU. You take it. Grasp your ankles, Britain, and assume the position.

When Ed joins the Euro (without a referendum) there will be a smirking Nigel Farage on the back of the 50 Euro note - with a scroll reading "Without whom none of this would have been possible".

Maybe if the Tories dont like UKIP they shouldn't have made it, as I commented below its entirely their fault. UKIP came into existence when the Tories signed Maastricht, their initial membership were all shire tories and social conservatives disowned by a flurry of futile chasing after Guardian readers. The Tories complaining about UKIP is like my 5 year-old saying "when i do this, it hurts", to which the obvious reply is "stop doing it then", so doing things that make UKIP stronger. Several Tory UKIP wavers have opted for UKIP on this site in the last week because of the constant disrespect and pointless whining from Tories (see Casino/Patrick etc earlier), you have no one to blame but yourselves.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

And if Ed has a majority of say 30-40 how's the no confidence going to happen? He only needs to be say 34-32 ahead.
    I think you should encourage people to vote how they want to and see where it leaves us. If I could get every Tory to vote UKIP then we would have a PM who wants out of the EU and would have a referendum tmrw. Isnt going to happen so I don't try, just as the "vote Nigel get Ed" line doesn't work on us either, not to mention the places where a UKIP vote stops Ed (Thurrock/Grimsby/Rotherham/Rother Valley/Heywood/Telford)
  • Options
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy @krishgm · 7h 7 hours ago
    If, as Cameron says, the key to immigration is 'control' that is the thing no EU member has, as Ukip will no doubt repeat all day
  • Options
    The amazing doublethink of Tories on here is something to behold

Ed Miliband is simultaenously weak, unpopular, unable to connect with voters & with enemies all over the party that want him out but able, if elected with a wafer thin margin, to oversee a strong government lasting a decade or more, that wont be influenced by outside forces and with no hope of ousting him

It was only a fortnight ago everyone seemed to think he wouldn't see the year out
  • Options
    isam said:

welshowl said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed
    Long lunch ?

I think you should encourage people to vote how they want to and see where it leaves us. If I could get every Tory to vote UKIP then we would have a PM who wants out of the EU and would have a referendum tmrw. Isnt going to happen so I don't try, just as the "vote Nigel get Ed" line doesn't work on us either, not to mention the places where a UKIP vote stops Ed (Thurrock/Grimsby/Rotherham/Rother Valley/Heywood/Telford)
    Take the point, but it's fiendishly hard to get Ed with a wobbly minority and then manoeuvre as he flounders from there. A wobbly Ed on 285 seats propped up by Nick on 30 and CandS by writ from Edinburgh is a mere psephological hair's width from Ed on 335 and not giving a stuff.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ed Miliband is simultaenously weak, unpopular, unable to connect with voters & with enemies all over the party that want him out but able, if elected with a wafer thin margin, to oversee a strong government lasting a decade or more, that wont be influenced by outside forces and with no hope of ousting him

It was only a fortnight ago everyone seemed to think he wouldn't see the year out

TBF the combination of FPTP and the Labour leadership rules makes this a bit less contradictory than it sounds...
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed

True. We should erect a statue to the Conservative Chancellor Gordon Brown who kept us out of the Euro rather than continue on the Eurozone-bound path of Labour's Lawson, Major, Lamont and Howe.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes indeed

Maybe if the Tories dont like UKIP they shouldn't have made it, as I commented below its entirely their fault. UKIP came into existence when the Tories signed Maastricht, their initial membership were all shire tories and social conservatives disowned by a flurry of futile chasing after Guardian readers. The Tories complaining about UKIP is like my 5 year-old saying "when i do this, it hurts", to which the obvious reply is "stop doing it then", so doing things that make UKIP stronger. Several Tory UKIP wavers have opted for UKIP on this site in the last week because of the constant disrespect and pointless whining from Tories (see Casino/Patrick etc earlier), you have no one to blame but yourselves.
    Pathetic. UKIP are a disaster - 'oh thats all right its all the tories fault'

UKIP are the ones with the racist hate filled scare mongering dog whistles.
    Immigration is fact in or out of the EU but lets ignore that, what counts is the ambition of the delusional kipper leadership.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Ed doesn't give a fig for Europe. None of the Labour leadership do. Their fight is still the 19th century fight of equality. The fact that they long ago won this fight has entirely passed them by. In their minds there is this big bad wolf called 'Tory' and he owns everything and employs minions who are harshly treated.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

Would you would provide an explanation, if UKIP are so damned racist why myself (Italian), Sunil (Indian) and MikeK (Jewish) are supporters/members?

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5374/tooting_view_we_re_back_to_racism_smears_against_ukip

Ha - the thick woman called her own supporter a ting tong. Can you guess what they call you behind your back?
    Only the other day you and other kippers were berating a labour MP for allegedly sneering at her own (WWC) supporters. You think St Nigel is so pure - pure enough to ally with a Polish neo nazi. Facts dictate the truith about UKIP.
    UKIP are racist they peddle racist language all the time (Farage was notorious about Romanians next door wink wink nudge nudge) they are pushing it way beyond what they thought they could get away with.
    Just because you are daft sad and pathetic does not make me wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

TBF the combination of FPTP and the Labour leadership rules makes this a bit less contradictory than it sounds...
    and @welshowl

The prominent bettors on here seem to think NOM is the value bet, even at 1.5 (1/2).. if they are right then there is very little chance of either Ed or Dave getting a majority, and it is very likely we will have a weak government that will have to dance to the tune of smaller parties.

Why on earth would UKIP want anything else?
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

Ha - the thick woman called her own supporter a ting tong. Can you guess what they call you behind your back?
    Only the other day you and other kippers were berating a labour MP for allegedly sneering at her own (WWC) supporters. You think St Nigel is so pure - pure enough to ally with a Polish neo nazi. Facts dictate the truith about UKIP.
    UKIP are racist they peddle racist language all the time (Farage was notorious about Romanians next door wink wink nudge nudge) they are pushing it way beyond what they thought they could get away with.
    Flightpath in full-on shrieking mode today :)
  • Options
    isam said:

Ed answers to Len and Len doesn't want a referendum - zero chance , nil , none .

Whatabouttery instead of arguing the feeble case for a referendum under Labour.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

Are you a native English speaker Flightpath? There's something quite Germanic about your posting style.

• Options

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

Are you a native English speaker Flightpath? There's something quite Germanic about your posting style.

Flightpath is Mrs Farage ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    isam said:

it is very likely we will have a weak government that will have to dance to the tune of smaller parties.

Yes, the SNP, DUP and LibDems.

Quite how that is supposed to help UKIP is a complete mystery.

In practice what would happen in that scenario is that the Conservatives would be split and weak, leaving Labour to win the next election or two.

Maybe after a decade or so of weak government, national decline and ever-closer union, things might start looking up, but it's not necessarily so. Last time we entered a spiral of decline, it took the country about 15 years to finally accept the need to face reality, and even then we might not have got back on track had it not been for the helpful intervention of General Galtieri.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

Flightpath is Mrs Farage ?
    Perhaps her jilted ex - would explain a lot.

• Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

it is very likely we will have a weak government that will have to dance to the tune of smaller parties.

Yes, the SNP, DUP and LibDems.

Quite how that is supposed to help UKIP is a complete mystery.

In practice what would happen in that scenario is that the Conservatives would be split and weak, leaving Labour to win the next election or two.

Maybe after a decade or so of weak government, national decline and ever-closer union, things might start looking up, but it's not necessarily so. Last time we entered a spiral of decline, it took the country about 15 years to finally accept the need to face reality, and even then we might not have got back on track had it not been for the helpful intervention of General Galtieri.
    Sorry Richard but I don't take you every forecast as gospel, especially not this one. You just want a Conservative govt at all costs, and invent a laughable fiction of a weak Labour party with an unpopular leader and wafer thin majority dominating a generation of British politics if you don't get your own way

As many Kippers are either not ex Conservatives, or are ex Conservatives that left because of Cameron, you are unlikely to get far.

It well all be "most amusing" and illogical to you, but you will just have to wear that unless your party change its appraoch

Cameron is dancing to UKIPs tune already, so that blows your second line out of the water, and that was before we had any MPs

• Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Ed answers to Len and Len doesn't want a referendum - zero chance , nil , none .

Except Len does, sorry if that is inconvenient

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/02/miliband-pressure-match-tories-eu-referendum-pledge
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Sorry?

"Labour's biggest union backer Unite is urging the party to match the Conservatives' pledge to offer an in-out referendum on Europe.

General secretary Len McCluskey said Labour will be a "hostage to fortune" if it does not support a vote.

Labour leader Ed Miliband has all but ruled out a poll unless further powers are transferred to Brussels.

But Unite fears this stance will be a "millstone" around Labour's neck at the next general election."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28125622
  • Options
    isam said:

Sorry Richard but I don't take you every forecast as gospel, especially not this one.

It was your forecast! I was just carrying your correct logic through to the reality of the likely parliamentary arithmetic, and the likely effect on the Conservative Party.
This discussion has been closed.