Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters unmoved by YouGov showing Labour dropping into the 30s – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited June 11

dixiedean said:

I believe the low wage commission already released projection that they will recommend minimum wage to be uplifted to £12/hr next year.

Having reconsidered my initial reaction, saying care workers will get £12 and hour is actually a canny move.
    Its like Labour and Tories have changed place. That was a classic Osborne type move, pre-announce an increase that was going to be recommended anyway....where as the Tories are like a shopping trolley with dodgy wheels and all over the place with nonsense policies that don't hold up to more than a minute thought.
    But... what is the actual detail of Lab policy here. We await manifesto. The i are reporting what was already known that social care will be the first sector with some kind of new national wage bargaining structure with union involvement.

I can't see how that delivers just £12 a hour if the minimum wage is...erm... going up to £12 an hour.

The whole point is to make care work at least a little bit better than Amazon warehouse.
    The voluntary living wage is I believe £12/hr. I believe Amazon pay roughly that (for over 21s) and more for nights.

It might be Labour are going to say £12/hr for everybody, regardless of age. That would be quite revolutionary if Labour did away with the age differences. Not sure it would be great for 16 year olds looking for their first job or part time job.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,980
    edited June 11

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

@RochdalePioneers 66/1 shot is making me think that in an election with weird 3 and 4 way battles in some seats, there might be value in betting on a bunch of reasonable long shots and hoping for maximum chaos... FPTP's idiosyncrasies could see you win some.

Oh believe me, I’m genuinely considering that I could win. Probably won’t. But in a crazy election there will be some crazy results. And my seat is crazy central in Scotland…

EDIT - we do have councillors here if that adds any context. We’re not coming from nowhere. Councillors in Central Buchan and Fraserburgh and Peterhead and briefly in Buckie (he resigned quickly) and I finished 3rd in a 3 seat ward (Troup - Macduff mainly) before losing in round 5 of voting having picked up transfer votes from everyone else including the Tories…
    Wishing you success. From the Rational Refuge which is Ashfield :smiley: .
    Matt/Rochdale

It is my belief that this is a really crazy election and we may well see some really crazy results. Long experience as a punter has taught me that in crazy situations, backing the long-shots usually pays dividends.

Rochdale, you could win. In my constituency of Tewkesbury, the LDs can certainly win. I would very much like to hear from others who from close association with events in their locality can recommend a decent punt at long odds. Trouble is, how to track them?

Would somebody like to keep a record of such long-shots and who recommended them, so that those of us who drift in and out can readily find them and bet accordingly if we wish?

I'd offer myself, but I disappear for long spells, am not tecky, and am bone idle.
    Good evening

I think it is more likely that the SNP will win in @RochdalePioneers seat, but certainly Ross's behaviour has opened the door to an unexpected result

Expect to see Ross in the HOL if he loses, joining Ruth Davidson
    If Tory seats tumble as projected we are going to need a bigger HoL.
    I don't think, realistically, the 66-1 on @RochdalePioneers is particularly exciting value. Nevertheless, I've wagered £1.50 on him so I can join in the fun on election night. Come on Rochdale!
    Be really good to keep a PB representative in HofC streak going after the demise of tissueprice and Stewart Jackson.
    Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?
    She was a very active poster here for some time. She was then and still is an MP but she never identified herself here by her real name so her anonymity should be respected.

Ex MP Louise Mensch always posted under her real name, as does Nick Palmer of course.

Aaron Bell originally posted under his own name, but changed it to Tissue Price when he stood for Parliament. This is perfectly understandable, but was hardly a secret. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more of him now that he has left the House. Apart from anything else he gave some cracking tips.

Mike Smithson once told me that a lot of MPs follow this site, and some post occasionally under pseudonyms. i can believe this easily, but Mike has always been the soul of discretion, and to the best of my knowledge none were ever outed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,787

Andy_JS said:

Just to say, no party securing 38% of the vote should have a majority, let alone a landslide.

FPTP is a load of undemocratic shite.

Not just a majority, but a 300 seat majority according to Electoral Calculus. 475 seats to 175 for all other parties.
    That's probably enough to hole FPTP below the waterline.

Against which: 1. No incentive for the incoming government to change the system, 2. The 2011 AV referendum vote.
    If Labour win a big majority they should just bring in proportional representation via a simple vote in the Commons. Don't bother with a referendum. That's how the system works in this country, MPs are elected to make these decisions.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,990

ToryJim said:

Been thinking that there’s something that is concerning me about the polling in advance of this election. We are getting so many polls and seat projections that suggest a near obliteration for the Tories, with Labour on insane majorities. If there’s a reasonable size polling error, particularly in respect of the Tory/Reform split then the exit poll and general election outcome will be in a more usual type pattern. Labour will still have a chunky majority but the Tories could have a creditable number of seats.

If that occurs could we see a scenario where people actively distrust the outcome. I’d hate a situation where a vocal minority challenged the outcome of an election on the basis that it was out of line with the polls. In essence I guess my concern is that the political discourse has become so obsessed with polls that if there’s a polling backfire this time, not impossible given the scale of movement, instead of doing the correct thing and criticising the polling we could see people criticising the election. That would be awful, but you couldn’t rule out Trumpier types falling into that type of behaviour.

A lot of the pollsters are actively looking for ways to suppress the Labour vote and to identify shy Tories - YouGov did it last week, I think More in Common are also about to do it. Opinium and JLB already do it. Even so, it's very hard to believe that the final result will look like the polls, as we are looking at numbers that are unprecedented in our lifetimes. But what we do know is that the local elections in May and all recent by-elections are bearing out what the polls are finding - a huge anti-Tory mood in the country. However, because of FPTP and the fact we essentially have 650 mini elections on 4th July, seat projections are really tough. Results within poll margin of errors could produce significant variations in final seat tallies. It is going to be fascinating to watch.

The polls will definitely be out, because a chunk of voters will say "reform" in an opinion poll but then find there is no reform candidate where they vote. Or are the opinion polls now taking that into account?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,201

FT going nice and gentle are Sunak’s manifesto as big Front Page splash. I thought they would have focused more harshly on the dodgy revenue schemes. Perhaps they would have done if he was 20 points ahead?

The “I” has gone gentle on Sunak’s Manifesto too. Tories getting away with all that dodgy maths.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643

Andy_JS said:

Just to say, no party securing 38% of the vote should have a majority, let alone a landslide.

Not just a majority, but a 300 seat majority according to Electoral Calculus. 475 seats to 175 for all other parties.

Against which: 1. No incentive for the incoming government to change the system, 2. The 2011 AV referendum vote.
    Laugh like a drain if that 2011 shambolic pseudo vote keeps the Tories miles from power for a dozen years.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,416
    TimS said:

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Do we now have two winters per year? If Sunak was hoping for some feel-good weather, the elements are not on his side.

I’ve told you. London is now Anchorage. It’s why I’ve emigrated
    I've spent a lot of time today looking at digital nomad visas and wondering if it's possible to keep on touring the world on a shoestring budget.

Has to be better than waiting around in a chilly flat in London for the three or so days a month of freelance work to dribble in.

I actually have my electric blanket out tonight. In June.
    We refill the coal bunker at the start of May, so it’s there where we need it in September. This year we’re just working through it. In June. FFS.
    Like the old days. The mid 20th C averages for June are pretty chilly: maxed of 17-18C in Central England, mins around 10. It’s colder than that now but not much.

Of course cold mid Junes aren’t necessarily a harbinger of a bad summer. As well as the famous June snow of 1975 there was the coldest first 2 weeks of June for decades in 1995, the Gen X answer to 1976.
    My memory of June generally is that it is often cold the first part and then summer kicks in. No idea if this matches te records.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,207
    edited June 11

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

If I were Sunak I would begin to worry that centrist tories are jumping ship to lib dems to ensure they become opposition and that their vote isn't wasted. That is the other story to complement reform crossing over... what happens this coming week could decide if it is Canada 93 or not.

Except on tonight's Yougov it is Labour voters going LD, hence Labour down now even below Corbyn 2017 levels and Starmer Labour a full 5% below the 43% for Blair's New Labour in 1997.

Tories meanwhile still ahead of Reform even with Yougov
    😌 No.

Simply how do you see TV impacting the PV? Nothing?

It was an LLG of 61. Labour will be biggest benefliciaries of TV, even getting Ref TV to get the Tories out. Lib Dem’s will draw TC from Greens and Labour, perhaps up to 16% PV. Greens won’t get TV and will be squeezed.

So green 4 Lib Dem 14 Labour 43 = 61. And that’s even no Ref to Labour TV, taking Labour above 43, even higher still if you think after TV greens don’t get 4 and Lib Dem 14.
    Anyone else understand this? No? Me neither.
    Allow me

Simply how do you see TV [tricuspid valve] impacting the PV [pole vault]? Nothing?

It was an LLG [lymphoma low grade] of 61. Labour will be biggest benefliciaries [beneficiaries] of TV [tunnel vision], even getting Ref [reflux] TV [turkey vulture] to get the Tories out. Lib [library] Dem [demand]’s will draw TC [tai chi] from Greens and Labour, perhaps up to 16% PV [peripheral vision]. Greens won’t get TV [tidal volume] and will be squeezed.

So green 4 Lib [Libra] Dem [demon] 14 Labour 43 = 61. And that’s even no Ref [refractory] to Labour TV [Treaty of Versailles], taking Labour above 43, even higher still if you think after TV [transitive verb] greens don’t get 4 and Lib [Liberal] Dem [Democrats] 14.
    Ah, thanks - all makes perfect sense now.
    You bastards.
    Honestly MoonRabbit, I didn't understand your post. I wanted to - I'm interested in what you have to say - but it made no sense to me at all. Sorry.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,556
    I know we did this poll earlier

@SamCoatesSky
    Sky News / YouGov exclusive poll

** Tories joint lowest VI share in Parliament
    ** Reform just ONE point behind
    ** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4),
    GRN 8% (+1)

Fieldwork Mon/Tue (around Lib Dem manfiesto coverage)

but did we do this bit

@DrAlanWager
    This, plugged into the FT's model (which does not explicitly try to guess at how tactical voters will split), gives the Lib Dems over 100 seats and the Conservative Party 31.

https://x.com/DrAlanWager/status/1800564841352188311
  • Options
    edited June 11
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

@RochdalePioneers 66/1 shot is making me think that in an election with weird 3 and 4 way battles in some seats, there might be value in betting on a bunch of reasonable long shots and hoping for maximum chaos... FPTP's idiosyncrasies could see you win some.

Oh believe me, I’m genuinely considering that I could win. Probably won’t. But in a crazy election there will be some crazy results. And my seat is crazy central in Scotland…

EDIT - we do have councillors here if that adds any context. We’re not coming from nowhere. Councillors in Central Buchan and Fraserburgh and Peterhead and briefly in Buckie (he resigned quickly) and I finished 3rd in a 3 seat ward (Troup - Macduff mainly) before losing in round 5 of voting having picked up transfer votes from everyone else including the Tories…
    Matt/Rochdale

It is my belief that this is a really crazy election and we may well see some really crazy results. Long experience as a punter has taught me that in crazy situations, backing the long-shots usually pays dividends.

Rochdale, you could win. In my constituency of Tewkesbury, the LDs can certainly win. I would very much like to hear from others who from close association with events in their locality can recommend a decent punt at long odds. Trouble is, how to track them?

Would somebody like to keep a record of such long-shots and who recommended them, so that those of us who drift in and out can readily find them and bet accordingly if we wish?

I'd offer myself, but I disappear for long spells, am not tecky, and am bone idle.
    Good evening

I think it is more likely that the SNP will win in @RochdalePioneers seat, but certainly Ross's behaviour has opened the door to an unexpected result

I don't think, realistically, the 66-1 on @RochdalePioneers is particularly exciting value. Nevertheless, I've wagered £1.50 on him so I can join in the fun on election night. Come on Rochdale!
    … .
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Be really good to keep a PB representative in HofC streak going after the demise of tissueprice and Stewart Jackson.
    Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?
    She was a very active poster here for some time. She was then and still is an MP but she never identified herself here by her real name so her anonymity should be respected.

Ex MP Louise Mensch always posted under her real name, as does Nick Palmer of course.

Aaron Bell originally posted under his own name, but changed it to Tissue Price when he stood for Parliament. This is perfectly understandable, but was hardly a secret. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more of him now that he has left the House. Apart from anything else he gave some cracking tips.

Mike Smithson once told me that a lot of MPs follow this site, and some post occasionally under pseudonyms. i can believe this easily, but Mike has always been the soul of discretion, and to the best of my knowledge none were ever outed.
    A longtime Tory candidate for Torbay posted on the site for a while. Marcus Wood? That may have been his name.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,503

FT going nice and gentle are Sunak’s manifesto as big Front Page splash. I thought they would have focused more harshly on the dodgy revenue schemes. Perhaps they would have done if he was 20 points ahead?

The “I” has gone gentle on Sunak’s Manifesto too. Tories getting away with all that dodgy maths.
    Manifestos are like budgets...they unravel over time.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

If Labour win a big majority they should just bring in proportional representation via a simple vote in the Commons. Don't bother with a referendum. That's how the system works in this country, MPs are elected to make these decisions.
    Pity about the Lords.
  • Options
    edited June 11
    Scott_xP said:

I know we did this poll earlier

@SamCoatesSky
    Sky News / YouGov exclusive poll

** Tories joint lowest VI share in Parliament
    ** Reform just ONE point behind
    ** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4),
    GRN 8% (+1)

Fieldwork Mon/Tue (around Lib Dem manfiesto coverage)

but did we do this bit

@DrAlanWager
    This, plugged into the FT's model (which does not explicitly try to guess at how tactical voters will split), gives the Lib Dems over 100 seats and the Conservative Party 31.

https://x.com/DrAlanWager/status/1800564841352188311

This is the FT election tool.

https://ig.ft.com/uk-general-election/2024/projection/

It gives Lab 479, LD 101, Con 31, SNP 16 with those YouGov figures.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    Sean_F said:

If I were Sunak I would begin to worry that centrist tories are jumping ship to lib dems to ensure they become opposition and that their vote isn't wasted. That is the other story to complement reform crossing over... what happens this coming week could decide if it is Canada 93 or not.

Why would centrist Tories support a party to the left of Labour?
    You are making the error of thinking voters are rational.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    Eric Ten Hag to stay as Manchester United Manager

Probably the right decision but why take so long to confirm it
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Except on tonight's Yougov it is Labour voters going LD, hence Labour down now even below Corbyn 2017 levels and Starmer Labour a full 5% below the 43% for Blair's New Labour in 1997.

😌 No.

Simply how do you see TV impacting the PV? Nothing?

It was an LLG of 61. Labour will be biggest benefliciaries of TV, even getting Ref TV to get the Tories out. Lib Dem’s will draw TC from Greens and Labour, perhaps up to 16% PV. Greens won’t get TV and will be squeezed.

So green 4 Lib Dem 14 Labour 43 = 61. And that’s even no Ref to Labour TV, taking Labour above 43, even higher still if you think after TV greens don’t get 4 and Lib Dem 14.
    Anyone else understand this? No? Me neither.
    Allow me

Simply how do you see TV [tricuspid valve] impacting the PV [pole vault]? Nothing?

It was an LLG [lymphoma low grade] of 61. Labour will be biggest benefliciaries [beneficiaries] of TV [tunnel vision], even getting Ref [reflux] TV [turkey vulture] to get the Tories out. Lib [library] Dem [demand]’s will draw TC [tai chi] from Greens and Labour, perhaps up to 16% PV [peripheral vision]. Greens won’t get TV [tidal volume] and will be squeezed.

So green 4 Lib [Libra] Dem [demon] 14 Labour 43 = 61. And that’s even no Ref [refractory] to Labour TV [Treaty of Versailles], taking Labour above 43, even higher still if you think after TV [transitive verb] greens don’t get 4 and Lib [Liberal] Dem [Democrats] 14.
    Ah, thanks - all makes perfect sense now.
    You bastards.
    Honestly MoonRabbit, I didn't understand your post. I wanted to - I'm interested in what you have to say - but it made no sense to me at all. Sorry.
    😤.
  • Options

Its like the Tories sticking with Sunak....
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,067
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Do we now have two winters per year? If Sunak was hoping for some feel-good weather, the elements are not on his side.

I've spent a lot of time today looking at digital nomad visas and wondering if it's possible to keep on touring the world on a shoestring budget.

Has to be better than waiting around in a chilly flat in London for the three or so days a month of freelance work to dribble in.

If you've never travelled for more than a couple of weeks, bugger off now for a couple of months and see if it palls. £1500 all in per month doable short haul if you pick the right places - airbnb places often have low monthly rates, so it pays not to move too often. Of course you have picked the wrong time of year, price-wise, for the wanderlust.
    Not true. You can do Eastern Europe and it’s cheap away from the Med. And often lovely
    Albania is cheap and the locals are friendly (they appear to have exported their criminals). Kosovo also nice, but no beaches. Poland and the Baltics are getting more expensive.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 206
    Andy_JS said:

Woman on BBC News, in Aldershot, says the choice for her is between Labour and Reform.

Many such cases
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    By sharing

They took longer than the Tories took to choose Sunak. Maybe that’s a good thing.
  • Options
    edited June 11

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Didn't tissueprice post under that name long before he ran for Parliament?
    ISTR, he announced he'd been adopted as a candidate on here. And only then was I aware of his IRL name. Similar to Rochdale.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree but a constitutional change by the HoC overriding a referendum vote? Are you ok with that principle?

Same approach could be applied to Re-join.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,522

Always dangerous to be complacent about this sort of thing but as an Arsenal fan, I’m delighted with that news.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,378
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Why would centrist Tories support a party to the left of Labour?
    You are making the error of thinking voters are rational.
    It's not even necessarily irrational.

FPTP encourages a "what's the best way of kicking the party I don't like?" approach.

That isn't automatically wrong, but it's not always pretty.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,570

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

I've always found it hard to believe that Snowflake was whom I've heard it rumoured she was, considering that when she was active I'd have thought she'd have been at her most busy to have much time to be active on PB. Would have thought she'd have had more available time while the Tories have been office but silence in that period, seems odd.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,188

Andy_JS said:

The only way to get electoral reform is to get a hung Parliament first. No government with an overall majority will ever volunteer to give it up. I wish it were otherwise, but them's the facts!

• Options

Tories treated like Liberal Democrats?
    It ain't gonna happen so it ain't worth scrutinising closely.
  • Options

No other obvious candidate, so yes
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The only way to get electoral reform is to get a hung Parliament first. No government with an overall majority will ever volunteer to give it up. I wish it were otherwise, but them's the facts!

A new Labour government could try to do things differently.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Always dangerous to be complacent about this sort of thing but as an Arsenal fan, I’m delighted with that news.
    I am presuming that the manager Man Utd really wanted turned them down.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,320

When we start to list them, there has been rather a lot of sex scandals that have ended MPs careers in recent years.

I’m a powerful man. Just look how stiff my willie is.
  • Options

Except Ten Hag miraculously, at the very last moment, kept them in Europe.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,652

Leon said:

carnforth said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

If you've never travelled for more than a couple of weeks, bugger off now for a couple of months and see if it palls. £1500 all in per month doable short haul if you pick the right places - airbnb places often have low monthly rates, so it pays not to move too often. Of course you have picked the wrong time of year, price-wise, for the wanderlust.
    Not true. You can do Eastern Europe and it’s cheap away from the Med. And often lovely
    Albania is cheap and the locals are friendly (they appear to have exported their criminals). Kosovo also nice, but no beaches. Poland and the Baltics are getting more expensive.
    Rural moldova, rural Bulgaria, inland Montenegro, rural Romania, mainland Greece is particularly stunning. And cheap. And sunny

And go to Ukraine if you want magnificent cities and a unique experience (and the odd drone and air raid siren). Lviv and Odessa are world class. Kyiv is fascinating for a few days. Smaller towns like chernivtsi are beguiling, too

That’s life sorted til October when the weather turns. Then you move on to Asia
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Actually I don't think they could.

The sovereign will not be happy about such a massive constitutional change without a manifesto commitment and nor would the Lords.

• Options
    edited June 11
    dixiedean said:

Tories treated like Liberal Democrats?
    It ain't gonna happen so it ain't worth scrutinising closely.
    The Independent is all excited by the manifesto on its front page “PM invokes spirit of Thatcher, with NI cuts and right to buy”.

The Telegraph certainly loves it, especially the right to buy scheme.

Daily Mail has Rishi awarding Aspiration. At last the “A” word Tories should be fighting on.

Maybe we all misjudged what a success this manifesto has been?
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 206

Anecdote demonstrating the clueleseness of some voters:

30 year old spouse of one of my colleagues: "So we get to vote for who we want as Prime Minister?"

We need Louisiana style literacy tests.
  • Options
    edited June 11

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree but a constitutional change by the HoC overriding a referendum vote? Are you ok with that principle?

Was just done with the PPC and Mayoral voting system.
    It isn't a Constitutional change. It's a voting system change.
    Not the same thing. At all.
  • Options
    edited June 11
    dixiedean said:

In the European equivalent of the League Cup. Sunak miraculously keeps Tories in second place....otherwise its European UEFA Conference League for those in 3rd, where even fans don't watch the games.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Given how much she supposedly despises him, that'd tickle me a little.
    Would she have a veto on his appointment?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

So, France.

I read up and their Assembly elections are quite electorally interesting in that they are similar but different to the presidential election.

That is, they are done in 2 rounds, but where a run off is needed, any candidate getting 12.5% of the total electoral, so turnout and vote share dependent, gets in the run off.

It's not front and centre in the write ups of previous elections, but I guess that, differently to the presidential election, there end up being a lot of 3 way (or more) contests in the second round, and the balance of party strengths and the number of 3 ways happening has a big effect on the result -mainly 3(+) ways suits RN better, mainly 2 ways suits Macron. And it looks a pretty 3 way tussle this go.

(Don't know why they don't just go STV on the same constituencies tbh, for this type of contest certainly.)

Is that a fair assessment and has 2-way / 3-way influenced the course of past elections?

(I'm avoiding ribald analogies here)

Its very French, why just have one day of elections, when you can have two.
    Do they stop voting for lunch between 12.00 and 2.30?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,626
    rcs1000 said:

NOM is *lengthening* like crazy. Science is powerless to explain this.

Not really.

With the polls as they are, every day that passes should see NOM lengthen until its in the hundreds or a thousand.

There's less and less time available for "events" to prevent a Labour majority from happening, and even a polling error would just be changing the size of the majority as it stands not the fact of one.
    Twenty three days left, though fewer for postal voters. And soon, the football will take over the national attention, except for viewers in Wales.

What's left in the dairy that might allow a black swan to land?
    Labour's manifesto launch.
    The BBC head to head debate.

Anything else?
    Staines keep teasing an October Surprise event.

If its true, who knows, if it will make any difference, again who knows. Has he had a really killer story that changed political narrative in recent years, I don't think he has.

I am not sure the Tory leaning media heart is even in it. There are plenty of awkward comments that Labour figures, including Starmer, have made in the past. In previous election, they would be running them left, right and centre, instead they are minor stories tucked away on the websites. While the Speccy seems very keen to boot Sunak up the arse.

It's pretty obvious what the story is. If the tories are stupid enough to use it then it'll backfire within a couple of days. All the mysterious prominent senior Labour figure with legal training has to say is that his private life remains private. And meanwhile a mysterious junior Labour figure will leak far more damaging nepotism allegations about equally senior (in the near past) Tory figures and the electorate will be reminded what this election is about.
    I have no idea what the story might be.Some hints without allegations might be helpful.

After Johnson's behaviour it is not easy to see any scandal having too much traction unless it involves children or kittens.
    I believe the story is about children, kittens, half a jar of peanut butter and a 1972 Austin Allegra.
    Not Allegra Austin ?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

In the European equivalent of the League Cup.
    With Spurs
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,378
    Meanwhile, the Mail are probably more realistic in their takeaway from the manifesto launch:

RISHI: DON'T GIVE LABOUR A BLANK CHEQUE

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I can’t imagine that being your line in 2019!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

In the European equivalent of the League Cup.
    With Spurs
    Exactly...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,188
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

A new Labour government could try to do things differently.

I wish that were so - but why would a Labour government with a big majority legislate to give that up?

• Options
    Biden is now essentially incoherent. Someone needs to intervene. This is NOW - how can he possibly be president for 4 more years??

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1800628158317867337?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options

dixiedean said:

In the European equivalent of the League Cup. Sunak miraculously keeps Tories in second place....otherwise its European UEFA Conference League for those in 3rd.
    We're not in EFTA.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    edited June 11

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Peter, I'm pretty certain that Louise Mensch did not post under her own name but as com*******r.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,450

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The sovereign will not be happy about such a massive constitutional change without a manifesto commitment and nor would the Lords.

Maybe LAB will have it in the manifesto. But they probably won't!
  • Options
    edited June 11
    Leon said:

Biden is now essentially incoherent. Someone needs to intervene. This is NOW - how can he possibly be president for 4 more years??

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1800628158317867337?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Not only did he freeze yesterday, he mixed up Iraq and Ukraine. It is literally every single day.
  • Options

Meanwhile, the Mail are probably more realistic in their takeaway from the manifesto launch:

Does anyone under 40 know what a cheque is?
    Let alone a blank one.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,234
    I don't really buy the Lib Dem Ed Davey gurn surge. It feels a bit confected, as the Cleggasm did.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe LAB will have it in the manifesto. But they probably won't!
    2nd term.
  • Options

Big_Ian said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

Evening all! Sunak polling well below Liz Truss:

Things are getting worse, not better. Hard to see where good news will come from to turn things round so they can recover to disastrous up from extinction.
    Dan Hodges tweeted almost daily for months that waiting any longer would make Tory defeat worse but i suspect he hadn't factored in them running the worst campaign since Michael Foot.
    To be honest right now the Tory campaign looks worse than Foot's.
    If this was the campaign they ran in the Autumn they would be starting from a worse position. The only upside is that Rishi wouldn't have left DD to do an rumoured to be utter appalling ITV interview.
    When do we get to see this interview?
    I do not know, but I do know it is Sunak v Starmer live on Sky tomorrow evening with Sky drawing Starmer to go first meaning Sunak will have the last say
    I wonder what Sunak will say? Perhaps "I have a plan, my plan is working, Starmer has no plan, except increasing taxes for every working person by £2017 every day".
    I would be interested in the results of a poll that asked whether voters would be willing to pay an additional £2,017 in tax, in return for better services.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Was just done with the PPC and Mayoral voting system.
    It isn't a Constitutional change. It's a voting system change.
    Not the same thing. At all.
    Fair point. I hope Labour go for it.

In the event the Tories are down in 3rd place on seats despite coming 2nd in the vote will they embrace PR?
  • Options
    edited June 11
    dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Me sir, me sir, is that what that weird cash stuff is before it is printed onto?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

The original Jack_W's identity is also a very poorly kept secret.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,067
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Rural moldova, rural Bulgaria, inland Montenegro, rural Romania, mainland Greece is particularly stunning. And cheap. And sunny

And go to Ukraine if you want magnificent cities and a unique experience (and the odd drone and air raid siren). Lviv and Odessa are world class. Kyiv is fascinating for a few days. Smaller towns like chernivtsi are beguiling, too

I have unfortunately only spent one long weekend in Romania (Cluj, Wizz had just started direct flights and they were bugger cheap) and not been to Bulgaria. Ukraine is nice, Lviv is a mini Kraków and the battlefield of Poltava is worth a visit. Ate dried fish (taranka) in a bar in Kyiv. Did my first trip to SEA this winter (Thai and Cambodia) and hope to go back for my first retired winter starting with Nam north to south
  • Options

Posting under your own name is crazy. Post under a pseudonym like I do. Nobody has a clue what my name is...

Don't tell 'em, Pike !
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,879

I don't really buy the Lib Dem Ed Davey gurn surge. It feels a bit confected, as the Cleggasm did.

It’s somewhat gentler and more muted than that. A few polls showing them flat or up a percent or two, a couple showing them down, and one with a big rise. Looks like an outlier. Not the stuff of Cleggmania.

Headline VI isn’t going to be that important for the Lib Dems anyway, keeping a reasonable share but with better voting efficiency is the key.
  • Options

Looks like that's the tactic now until polling. Don't give Labour a landslide etc etc. We need a decent Opposition.

I believe it was tried by an Australian party in recent years.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Does anyone under 40 by the Mail?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

NOM is *lengthening* like crazy. Science is powerless to explain this.

Not really.

With the polls as they are, every day that passes should see NOM lengthen until its in the hundreds or a thousand.

There's less and less time available for "events" to prevent a Labour majority from happening, and even a polling error would just be changing the size of the majority as it stands not the fact of one.
    Twenty three days left, though fewer for postal voters. And soon, the football will take over the national attention, except for viewers in Wales.

What's left in the dairy that might allow a black swan to land?
    Labour's manifesto launch.
    The BBC head to head debate.

Anything else?
    Staines keep teasing an October Surprise event.

If its true, who knows, if it will make any difference, again who knows. Has he had a really killer story that changed political narrative in recent years, I don't think he has.

I am not sure the Tory leaning media heart is even in it. There are plenty of awkward comments that Labour figures, including Starmer, have made in the past. In previous election, they would be running them left, right and centre, instead they are minor stories tucked away on the websites. While the Speccy seems very keen to boot Sunak up the arse.

It's pretty obvious what the story is. If the tories are stupid enough to use it then it'll backfire within a couple of days. All the mysterious prominent senior Labour figure with legal training has to say is that his private life remains private. And meanwhile a mysterious junior Labour figure will leak far more damaging nepotism allegations about equally senior (in the near past) Tory figures and the electorate will be reminded what this election is about.
    I have no idea what the story might be.Some hints without allegations might be helpful.

After Johnson's behaviour it is not easy to see any scandal having too much traction unless it involves children or kittens.
    I believe the story is about children, kittens, half a jar of peanut butter and a 1972 Austin Allegra.
    Not Allegra Austin ?
    The Telegraph are running with it on their front page. In juxtaposition to their coverage of Rishi’s present and supporting wife.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    I tried to pay a cheque in a Bank recently. They were bemused and befuddled. One of them had to phone a friend.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,980
    JohnO said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Peter, I'm pretty certain that Louis Mensch did not post under her own name but as com*******r.
    You may be right, John, but I can't think how I would have known the name if she didn't volunteer it. Nobody passed it on to me, as they did with Snowflake.

Anyway, it was a very long time ago and she stopped posting soon after leaving the House.

How's you? Keeping the Peril at bay down there in the wilds of Hersham?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Its funny how some people can survive story about an affair, but running up a big bill on your iPad to watch the footy or your husband watching an adult movie, absolutely to the lions.

You really believe it was used to “watch the footy”?
    Of course it was. He was waiting for Dross to give a dodgy penalty in favour of Rangers.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,847
    JohnO said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Peter, I'm pretty certain that Louise Mensch did not post under her own name but as com*******r.
    Some of us are so ancient we can even remember TSE posting under his real name. Or, at least, under a plausible forename-surname combination that was definitely not The Screaming Eagles.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    My dad's business still uses cheques to pay other businesses, although the number of such transactions has gone down recently.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,879

Big_Ian said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

Evening all! Sunak polling well below Liz Truss:

Things are getting worse, not better. Hard to see where good news will come from to turn things round so they can recover to disastrous up from extinction.
    Dan Hodges tweeted almost daily for months that waiting any longer would make Tory defeat worse but i suspect he hadn't factored in them running the worst campaign since Michael Foot.
    To be honest right now the Tory campaign looks worse than Foot's.
    If this was the campaign they ran in the Autumn they would be starting from a worse position. The only upside is that Rishi wouldn't have left DD to do an rumoured to be utter appalling ITV interview.
    When do we get to see this interview?
    I do not know, but I do know it is Sunak v Starmer live on Sky tomorrow evening with Sky drawing Starmer to go first meaning Sunak will have the last say
    I wonder what Sunak will say? Perhaps "I have a plan, my plan is working, Starmer has no plan, except increasing taxes for every working person by £2017 every day".
    I would be interested in the results of a poll that asked whether voters would be willing to pay an additional £2,017 in tax, in return for better services.
    The equation is that someone else pays extra tax and we get better services.

Hence why Labour will I expect make more of the difference in where the manifestos fall. Tories give tax cuts for the richest and batter the poor (that does seem to be the case with todays manifesto), Labour will soak the oil barons/hedge funds/non doms etc. In fact they could subtly hint that they will raise taxes on Tories but non Tory voters will be fine. Some might believe it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    I tried to pay a cheque in a Bank recently. They were bemused and befuddled. One of them had to phone a friend.
    Must've been a big one. Most cheques can be paid in on a mobile banking app.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Must've been a big one. Most cheques can be paid in on a mobile banking app.
    Comedy novelty one ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Is it?
    Not one I'm party to.
  • Options
    edited June 11

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Anyway what does if matter if they're given a blank cheque ?
    It would only bounce if they wrote a big number on it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Not only did he freeze yesterday, he mixed up Iraq and Ukraine. It is literally every single day.
    Yep. He’s declining daily. Trump is not far behind but gets away with it - to an extent - because he’s always rambled

But this is fucking insane. The most important job in the world and the only real candidates are two dribbling old fools. The western world is at a moment of maximum peril and America has a choice between senile hypocrisy and demented villainy. Enough!!!!!
  • Options
    Wut ?

Krishnan Guru-Murthy crucifies Mel Stride on abolishing National Insurance for self employed and on pension

KGM, "You're getting rid of class 4 National Insurance contributions for the self employed"

MS, "Yes"

KGM, "So how do self employed qualify for a state pension?"

MS, "You can still have a system where you have nil rate National Insurance and have that as a contribution to state pension"

KGM, "So self employed people will just get a state pension for free now?"

MS, "Well, they will make their contribution to the economy in the normal way"

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1800623762657640905
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Good point. My bank gave me a book of blank cheques.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Is it?
    Not one I'm party to.
    Well, I'm not going to dox him. It would be impolite.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Wut ?

Krishnan Guru-Murthy crucifies Mel Stride on abolishing National Insurance for self employed and on pension

KGM, "You're getting rid of class 4 National Insurance contributions for the self employed"

MS, "Yes"

MS, "You can still have a system where you have nil rate National Insurance and have that as a contribution to state pension"

Guru-Murthy has been reading this blog!!

I posted exactly this point on free state pension hours ago.

• Options
    edited June 11
    Nigelb said:

Wut ?

MS, "Yes"

KGM is talking as much bollock as MS. Class 4 NI is only one part of it. Earn £50k and you still paying NI and remember thresholds are being frozen for several years.

Not many people are running their own businesses for anything length of time for the luxury of earning < £50k a year (gig workers aside). Long term you won't make it work if you earn such a small amount as no wiggle room for any fluctuation in earnings.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Is it?
    Not one I'm party to.
    Well, I'm not going to dox him. It would be impolite.
    Quite right too. But he's obviously been doxxed before.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    edited June 11

JohnO said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Peter, I'm pretty certain that Louis Mensch did not post under her own name but as com*******r.
    You may be right, John, but I can't think how I would have known the name if she didn't volunteer it. Nobody passed it on to me, as they did with Snowflake.

Anyway, it was a very long time ago and she stopped posting soon after leaving the House.

How's you? Keeping the Peril at bay down there in the wilds of Hersham?
    Of course, she was Louise Bagshawe for much of the time. Perhaps, she was outed privately at one those notorious dissolute pb boozy gatherings?

Sadly, they have already stormed the gates...I am but the last remaing but heroically redoubtable survivor.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    Good point. My bank gave me a book of blank cheques.
    They are crossed cheques.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I have unfortunately only spent one long weekend in Romania (Cluj, Wizz had just started direct flights and they were bugger cheap) and not been to Bulgaria. Ukraine is nice, Lviv is a mini Kraków and the battlefield of Poltava is worth a visit. Ate dried fish (taranka) in a bar in Kyiv. Did my first trip to SEA this winter (Thai and Cambodia) and hope to go back for my first retired winter starting with Nam north to south
    SE Asia from November-March is the best place in the world. Stupendous food, fascinating cultures, great weather. Mighty cities as well - glittering and safe

Phnom Penh is my new favourite city. The restaurants of bassac lane!!

Laos is lovely. Vietnam is dynamic
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wut ?

MS, "Yes"

KGM is talking as much bollock as MS. Class 4 NI is only one part of it. Earn £50k and you still paying NI and remember thresholds are being frozen for several years.

Not many people are running their own businesses for anything length of time for the luxury of earning < £50k a year (gig workers aside).
    How would self-employed people qualify years for the State Pension?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Its funny how some people can survive story about an affair, but running up a big bill on your iPad to watch the footy or your husband watching an adult movie, absolutely to the lions.

You really believe it was used to “watch the footy”?
    Absolutely, or it was his kids watching YouTube, or something...I couldn't keep up with the every changing excuse.
    Here’s a true story, as we are past the lagershed

I was once in a Luxor hotel researching some ancient flints and I got bored and lonely in my hotel room. I had an iPad with me - probably iPad 1 it was so early - and I realised I had a wavering bit of signal. Just enough to watch porn. Proto 3G?

But massively expensive. £29 for 3MB etc

I warned myself - right, 2 minutes, Kleenex, finished

About five hours later I energetically culminated and looked in horror at my data usage. Gigabytes on gigabytes. I realised I’d probably spent £5k or £10k on a single wank

And this was before the days of my affluence

No way I could pay a £10k phone bill so the next day I concocted a plan. I decided to go to the police and report that my iPad had been stolen. So I’d have a get-out when Vodafone came asking for their £10,000

I went into the Luxor police station and reported my iPad was stolen but as soon as I began making my report I realised this didn’t make sense - how and where was it stolen? Just that? In my hotel room? - and if they got suspicious they might find I still had my iPad…. so I changed my story to “I loaned my iPad to a dubious person and I think they might have misused it while I was asleep” and at this point the Egyptian policeman was essentially laughing in my face and asking his colleagues to come and listen to the most insane load of bullshit ever heard in the Upper Nile so I pretended I felt suddenly unwell and fled back to my hotel with this bankrupting wank-bill looming

When I got back to England my monthly Vodafone bill arrived. £32. For some reason my MASSIVE DATA USAGE never registered
    Nobody with your fertile imagination should need internet porn to finish a successful wank in two minutes.
  • Options
    edited June 11

No other obvious candidate, so yes
    I couldn’t disagree with you more.

Rúben Amorim.

Liverpool embarrassed themselves choosing Slot ahead of Amorim. For Man Utd to stick, rather than twist with Amorim is more dumber still.

Amorim and his system is perfect match for a mega club and the quality of players they can provide him.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Let alone a blank one.
    My dad's business still uses cheques to pay other businesses, although the number of such transactions has gone down recently.
    History's most famous blank cheque is the one handed to the Austro-Hungarian empire by the Kaiser after Sarajevo.

The Austrians lost everything in the end.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075
    I'm watching the Scottish Leaders debate on catchup. Wowsers. John Swinney is an unhappy chappy. Keeps being called out for all of the austerity and cuts his government have imposed. And the defence? "Westminster". He's a bit prickly!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,924
    Just in the middle of the Beeb's D-Day Unheard Tapes it's fantastic, terrifying and really effective.

I've done two out of three so no spoilers please.
  • Options
    Had no idea carte blanche was the literal blank cheque.
    Of course it is when you Google...
  • Options
    edited June 11

Nigelb said:

Wut ?

MS, "Yes"

Not many people are running their own businesses for anything length of time for the luxury of earning < £50k a year (gig workers aside).
    How would self-employed people qualify years for the State Pension?
    Same way as for example people in higher education get years credited.

My point is that KGM is trying to make it sound like all these people will get free state pension, the proportion of people running their own businesses for any length of time on less than that will be very small. Other than gig work, nobody runs a one man band business for £30-40k a year, you are better off getting a normal job and something will come along and bust you.

Now is it a stupid policy overall, yes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

British weather is now unacceptable

You can seriously have a blast wandering the world. I am. Take Ukraine. Ok there’s a war on but if you’re careful it’s not THAT dangerous - it is also a lot more interesting than sitting at home in a bed sit in Balham. Or Bootle

Everything is insanely cheap. I just had a really good Italian meal - two large aperol spritz, inventive bruschetta, seafood fettuccine, glass of good white, at a restaurant in the most fashionable bit of Odessa - beautiful Odessa - £15

If you want good borscht and beer you can eat really well for £5. A bus from Kyiv to Odessa - £13

And thanks to our digital world you can stay in touch with everyone. I had a long WhatsApp chat with my brother in Peru then a group chat with friends and now I’m hanging out on PB

You no longer need to be anywhere in particular. If you can work from home you can work on the road where food is cheap, the sun shines, you see endlessly interesting things, and tax is zero
    We could have had that if we hadn’t had 14 years of a grifter friendly Tory government.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,924
    Rishi is obviously going for the pound in your pocket. It's tax, tax, tax. Not historically an overly stupid strategy.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just in the middle of the Beeb's D-Day Unheard Tapes it's fantastic, terrifying and really effective.

I've done two out of three so no spoilers please.

Sunak leaves just about now.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    LORD ASHCROFT:

Lab 43 (-4)
    Con 21 (-2)
    Ref 15 (+4)
    LD 7 (+1)
    Grn 7 (+1)

https://x.com/LordAshcroft/status/1800638670128787571
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Rishi is obviously going for the pound in your pocket. It's tax, tax, tax. Not historically an overly stupid strategy.

Except the tax burden under the Tories has gone up and is still going up.

Pissing on voters while telling them it is raining is an overly stupid strategy
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,762
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Matt/Rochdale

Good evening

Snowflake will be back.
    Who's Snowflake?

Original? So who is the sporadic contributor now, a young pretender?
This discussion has been closed.