Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s polls – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,281

If a wipeout was in the offing anyway, Sunak might as well have waited until November/ December. Got 2 years under his belt and a little bit more of a legacy.

I don't see any benefit he's derived from going early, except that he gets out of the game a bit earlier. Which might be it of course.

Thing is, there was a decent defensive case to be made for May, and a different decent defensive case for November/December.

Apart from the surprise value (and that seems to be hurting the Conservatives most), it's hard to discern the logic of July.

The memoirs and instant histories will be fascinating.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,521
    edited June 1
    DavidL said:

nico679 said:

The optics of another junior doctors strike close to polling day is a nightmare for Sunak .

Junior doctors want rid of the Tories although I can’t see Labour offering anything close to what they want.

Whether there is a note left or not, there is no money.

BTW reaching a settlement with the junior doctors alone is going to cost multiple times the money raised by the non dom nonsense (assuming that raises any money at all of course).
    There's always money for tax cuts and Rishi's new bifurcated tax system. Just imagine the abolition of IHT contrasted with striking medical staff. An epitaph for 14 years of government.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,170
    Eabhal said:

nico679 said:

The optics of another junior doctors strike close to polling day is a nightmare for Sunak .

Junior doctors want rid of the Tories although I can’t see Labour offering anything close to what they want.

I think it could be the opposite. Puts Starmer is a slightly tricky position and a reminder that these issues will not go away for a Labour Government.

A sliver of hope there for PB Tories.
    Mmm, I'd imagine that there's rather less sympathy for junior doctors asking for 35% than there was for the nurses who ended up settling for, what, 7.5% was it?

The lesson to be learned is that they should have stopped accepting below-inflation pay rises sooner, rather than waiting 14 years before going on strike for pay restoration.

Which in turn means that the incoming Labour govt is going to find it harder to keep a lid on public sector pay rises than they would have if the Tories hadn't insisted on stretching things beyond breaking point.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,489
    DavidL said:

Never saw Sancho play like this at OT.

One of the main reasons Utd have struggled in the post-Fergie era is that something is so terribly wrong at the club that good players go there and become crap, and then bloom again when they move away.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,660
    DavidL said:

The sad thing is that if he was at a big club like Man U, playing at top clubs, in the top competitions he might have got into the England squad but just being a player for a team that’s just in the champions league final Southgate overlooks him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,918

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

It’s ok CR, it’s the Tories’ Rorke’s Drift. It looks impossible but if we hold firm we can defeat the lefty hordes. You, me and Colour Sergeant Moon Rabbit.
    Trouble is Sunak would encourage the Zulus to charge early, and then the two ranks would turn at and fire at each other:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mySvuC9MMc&pp=ygUOenVsdSBsaW5lIGZpcmU=
    Maybe the effects of Andy Street losing will do for him as in Zulu Dawn “comes all this way just to be killed by a bullet from Birmingham”.
    "Gentlemen, it's time to save the colours."
    It's not Rorkes Drift, it's going to be isandlwana.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,729
    Jamarion said:

AlsoLei said:

All the polls are wrong. There are too many assumptions. It doesn't mean the Tories will not get dicked.... But the margin of defeat is unlikely to be as suggested....imho....

Are you arguing for some sort of systemic error across all pollsters, across all methodologies?

Or is it that you think something will happen during the remainder of the campaign to change peoples' minds?
    The polls are not wrong.
    Richard Tice reckons Reform will stand in 630 constituencies.
    Nominations must be in by next Friday.
    Let's see how many they put in.

PS Why not 631, given there are 18 in NI plus Lindsay Hoyle's in Chorley?

They’ve done a deal with the SDP in some seats.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,234

Keir Starmer: “Read my lips - I will bring immigration numbers down. If you trust me with the keys to No 10 I will make you this promise: I will control our borders and make sure British businesses are helped to hire Brits first.”

https://x.com/mrharrycole/status/1796976637348610157

He's completely full of shit.
    Unlike the Tories, with their promise to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands.
    People are just in a place where, right now, they're willing to believe the best about Labour and the absolute worst about the Conservatives - to the extent where anything the former says extenuates that belief and anything the latter says just angers people.

I'm not sure there's much Rishi can do about it. But, he can't stay silent for 5 weeks.

Maybe the best thing is to just point out the dangers of giving Labour a massive majority.
    Surely a massive majority is better than a small one? That way a bunch of rebellious Trots can be safely ignored by the leadership, and cannot influence policy.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,734

megasaur said:

Keir Starmer: “Read my lips - I will bring immigration numbers down. If you trust me with the keys to No 10 I will make you this promise: I will control our borders and make sure British businesses are helped to hire Brits first.”

I think cracking down on the employers of illegal immigrants is a pretty obvious move and one which has been proposed by the great and good on here for years or
    And it's been going on for years. It's already being done. To not do so would be obviously stupid.

This is just politicking. SKS showing a bit of his leg, before he shows another bit to someone else next week.
    I think he’s silly to make such a clear cut pledge, unless he is being “clever” because he knows simple maths will mean net migration figures go down.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,916
    Scott_xP said:

FFS. Their obsession with tax cuts has been going since the middle of the Parliament and the sheer inability to grasp this is so low down the list of public priorities is absolutely staggering.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,012

DavidL said:

nico679 said:

Whether there is a note left or not, there is no money.

BTW reaching a settlement with the junior doctors alone is going to cost multiple times the money raised by the non dom nonsense (assuming that raises any money at all of course).
    There's always money for tax cuts and Rishi's new bifurcated tax system. Just imagine the abolition of IHT contrasted with striking medical staff. An epitaph for 14 years of government.
    Depressingly true.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

No, the juniors just want a pay offer that doesn't mean further real terms pay cuts.

• Options
    Gary Lineker 1, Rheinmetal 0. It’s a moral story of supporting teams sponsored by Emirates rather than those bastards supplying weapons to Ukraine.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,734

Unlike the Tories, with their promise to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands.
    People are just in a place where, right now, they're willing to believe the best about Labour and the absolute worst about the Conservatives - to the extent where anything the former says extenuates that belief and anything the latter says just angers people.

I'm not sure there's much Rishi can do about it. But, he can't stay silent for 5 weeks.

Maybe the best thing is to just point out the dangers of giving Labour a massive majority.
    Surely a massive majority is better than a small one? That way a bunch of rebellious Trots can be safely ignored by the leadership, and cannot influence policy.
    What the Tories have found is that the best position for party management is a stable coalition with the Lib Dems, meaning you can ignore your loonier backbenchers while blaming the coalition partners for anything unpopular you have to do.
  • Options
    TimS said:

megasaur said:

I think cracking down on the employers of illegal immigrants is a pretty obvious move and one which has been proposed by the great and good on here for years or
    And it's been going on for years. It's already being done. To not do so would be obviously stupid.

This is just politicking. SKS showing a bit of his leg, before he shows another bit to someone else next week.
    I think he’s silly to make such a clear cut pledge, unless he is being “clever” because he knows simple maths will mean net migration figures go down.
    The numbers are pretty much nailed on to go down, short of another Ukranian refugee crisis, particularly the students.

It's just a matter of taking the credit.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,729
    TimS said:

megasaur said:

The blip in student numbers because of COVID will be unwinding, and the numbers on the Ukraine and Hing Kong schemes will probably be down. Overseas student demand is also stalling, perhaps because of the Chinese economy. That all means that, without doing anything, the immigration numbers will very likely be falling.
  • Options

DavidL said:

One of the main reasons Utd have struggled in the post-Fergie era is that something is so terribly wrong at the club that good players go there and become crap, and then bloom again when they move away.
    Not only that, good managers go there to fail. Something is very rotten at Old Trafford, and it may be the shadow of SAF.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

No, the juniors just want a pay offer that doesn't mean further real terms pay cuts.

So 3% then?
  • Options

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

So 3% then?
    They are still negotiating on last year.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

It’s ok CR, it’s the Tories’ Rorke’s Drift. It looks impossible but if we hold firm we can defeat the lefty hordes. You, me and Colour Sergeant Moon Rabbit.
    Trouble is Sunak would encourage the Zulus to charge early, and then the two ranks would turn at and fire at each other:

Maybe the effects of Andy Street losing will do for him as in Zulu Dawn “comes all this way just to be killed by a bullet from Birmingham”.
    I think the problem with either of these analogies is that if Rorke’s Drift had been a polling station the Zulus would have won big time.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 614
    TimS said:

megasaur said:

I don't think you have to be clever. The figures for the last couple of years are so exceptionally high that he'd struggle not to cut numbers.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,022

You'd think Tories would understand that, after the DUP alliance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

I think the problem with either of these analogies is that if Rorke’s Drift had been a polling station the Zulus would have won big time.
    Can you imagine when you are told that you are doing the exit poll there?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,657
    boulay said:

Gary Lineker 1, Rheinmetal 0. It’s a moral story of supporting teams sponsored by Emirates rather than those bastards supplying weapons to Ukraine.

I like Rheinmetall. They make good stuff. What's lineker said now?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,608
    TimS said:

I’ve discovered France’s answer to one of our left behind Northern towns. St Quentin, where we are staying overnight on the way back home.

OK the dire November weather doesn’t help, but this town is quite something.

A large central square, Saturday evening, grand Flemish-style civic buildings, 2 people in the entire space kicking a football around.

Few restaurants or bars apart from one gaudy red pub cum diner that looks like a TGI Fridays, one proper brasserie, some pizza takeaways and a branch of Subway. Subway, FFS.

Empty shop fronts. 80s and 90s red brick redevelopments around the 12th century basilica (which was open at 10pm, in the dark. Huge. Rather spooky), and an Ibis looking like an old Travelodge facing the West door across an archaeological dig.

Litter. Virtual silence. Patchy Drizzle. All it needs is a Poundland and a branch of British Heart Foundation and it could be somewhere the BBC go to explain Brexit. This is of course the heart of Le Pen country and I understand why. It is blighted.

St Quentin you've been living Hell to me?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,147

Scott_xP said:

FFS. Their obsession with tax cuts has been going since the middle of the Parliament and the sheer inability to grasp this is so low down the list of public priorities is absolutely staggering.
    It isn't, most polls show most voters want their own taxes cut
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,594
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

The voting was done with Short Chamber Boxer Henry, .45 calibre
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,557
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

It's not Rorkes Drift, it's going to be Isandlwana.
    Unless the polling improves significantly, the Tories are going to suffer the fate of the drummers.
  • Options
    edited June 1

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

The voting was done with Short Chamber Boxer Henry, .45 calibre
    Yeah but our elections don’t really work that way.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,913
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Not only that, good managers go there to fail. Something is very rotten at Old Trafford, and it may be the shadow of SAF.
    More likely the Glazers. Old Trafford is literally falling apart at a time when their competitors (or sides they ought to be competing with…) have either moved to new grounds or are rebuilding on site. I think this is important, and potentially adds to an air of failure at the club. Add in short termism (Sir Alex nearly got the boot early doors until Mark Robins saved him) and you are where you are. Fully expect at least a decade more of shitness, and loving it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,342

Maybe the Tories should just reciprocate and tell the electorate to go fuck themselves.

Pretty certain that's what they've been doing the last five years.

I make no secret of the fact they lost me over the leasehold issue. Despite Gove trying his best, and arguably the most important advocate for reform being a Conservative - the brilliant Sir Peter Bottomley.

Being a leaseholder since Grenfell feels like being continually told "we don't want your vote, eff off" by the Conservatives. So I did.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

Scott_xP said:

It’s high up for idiot Tories who think they are always over the crown of the laffer curve. They are the type who think that you’d get loads of money if you abolished tax. They should study what their hero actually did not what they think she did.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

So 3% then?
    They are still negotiating on last year.
    Funny, I thought they were seeking to renegotiate every year since 2008.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

Interestingly, Birmingham City’s hooligan firm are called… The Zulus.
    "Tories, sir! Fousands dozens of 'em!!"
    updated for improved realism
    “No comedians, please, Hughes.”
  • Options
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

I like Rheinmetall. They make good stuff. What's lineker said now?
    He wants Real to win because Rheinmetall have announced a sponsorship with Dortmund, I honestly y pray he gets held hostage somewhere and the rescue forces say “sorry Gary, bit of a problem, out kit is made by horrid people who make weapons etc, good luck” and then sign off with a terrible pun like “it’s not so much Lockheed but no heed”.
  • Options
    Whoever is doing Labour comms is top drawer. This is pretty good from Ange

https://x.com/angelarayner/status/1797002513348014307?s=61
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,022
    edited June 1

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Oh boy.

It's not Rorkes Drift, it's going to be Isandlwana.
    Unless the polling improves significantly, the Tories are going to suffer the fate of the drummers.
    Isn't that Belgium 1914 style propaganda, claiming the enemy were mutilating the poor little drummer boys and all that?

https://www.battlefieldsregionguides.co.za/the-little-drummer-boys-at-isandlwana-by-pat-rundgren/

Not that they survived.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,420
    Apparently Richi is quoted in the Sun tonight...

@SunPolitics

The 'wheels are coming off' Keir Starmer’s leadership, declares Rishi Sunak

WTAF???
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,137
    Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

WTAF???

What do you expect him to say? "I'm voting Labour"?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,082
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Relative to 2007 (the high point, before the crash) or 1990 ?

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/exploring-the-earnings-of-nhs-doctors-in-england
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

WTAF???

That would at least show him to be in touch with the electorate for once.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,893

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

WTAF???

Worth a try.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,902
    There’s always the possibility that the polls are correct, the Tories are correct, but the electorate is wrong?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    SNP ministers have been accused of “negligence on a remarkable scale” after it emerged they are set to hand back £450 million of EU money they failed to spend on key economic and anti-poverty projects.

Scotland is expected to return 28 per cent of the European structural and investment funding it received in the past six years having failed to allocate the cash.

By comparison, Wales is on course to return 9 per cent of its money, England 6 per cent and Northern Ireland 2 per cent.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/snp-to-hand-back-450m-of-unspent-eu-money-vlpx956ps
  • Options

SNP ministers have been accused of “negligence on a remarkable scale” after it emerged they are set to hand back £450 million of EU money they failed to spend on key economic and anti-poverty projects.

Scotland is expected to return 28 per cent of the European structural and investment funding it received in the past six years having failed to allocate the cash.

By comparison, Wales is on course to return 9 per cent of its money, England 6 per cent and Northern Ireland 2 per cent.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/snp-to-hand-back-450m-of-unspent-eu-money-vlpx956ps

Not sure the camper van is going to cover that.

Didn’t we have to do something similar with the money they never got out to farmers?

And the Covid money that never got out to Scottish businesses?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,331
    This was supposed to be the weekend Labour wobbled.

Maybe next weekend?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,711
    kyf_100 said:

Maybe the Tories should just reciprocate and tell the electorate to go fuck themselves.

Pretty certain that's what they've been doing the last five years.

I make no secret of the fact they lost me over the leasehold issue. Despite Gove trying his best, and arguably the most important advocate for reform being a Conservative - the brilliant Sir Peter Bottomley.

Being a leaseholder since Grenfell feels like being continually told "we don't want your vote, eff off" by the Conservatives. So I did.
    And remember that the most significant leasehold reform - the Right to Manage aka give the boot to the management company that's been fleecing you for years - came in under a Labour government. My in laws are very grateful for that one.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

WTAF???

Worth a try.
    It would certainly put a lot more off than anything else he is saying.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

All the polls are wrong. There are too many assumptions. It doesn't mean the Tories will not get dicked.... But the margin of defeat is unlikely to be as suggested....imho....

Are you arguing for some sort of systemic error across all pollsters, across all methodologies?

Or is it that you think something will happen during the remainder of the campaign to change peoples' minds?
    The polls are not wrong.

Conservatism exists not to stop progress, nor keep everything the same, but in acknowledgement natures way is everything forever changes, and we need to conserve what is of value and importance. You build a wall to keep the wild things out. Within the wall you build a path to get you from A to B safely in the dark or inclement weather. Where your way leads across the stream, you build a bridge. If you now do nothing to conserve the path and the wall and the bridge, nature will take them from you. It will change your world and take everything you value from you. Those things you want your children to learn in the right way, whilst on your knee? they will learn it first elsewhere, in the wrong way. The world needs Conservative thinking and Conservative action.

We have a Conservative Party in the UK that used to be very good at this, and often rewarded with power, but it has lost its way. Distracted by other things, it’s stopped focussing on its main reason to be - to conserve what is of value and what is important. The party has become an echo chamber for right wing capitalist think tanks and NeoCon groups, its leaders forgetting when they get excited by idea’s, they will ultimately have to defend them on the floor of parliament and at the ballot box.

Echo Chamber Government is not the way to lead a party or govern a country.
    That was a party political broadcast brought to you by ChatGPT
    Obviously I don’t agree. But then there is nothing agreeable about anything you post.

The situation arose when Abbott had a letter published in the Observer explaining only black people suffer real racism - any prejudice Jewish people suffer is lesser, in her opinion only on par with stick people with red hair endure. But this wasn’t all, it was compounded by a bizarre non apology. She’s sorry, but the wrong draft was submitted and published. How many drafts did you write? Just one.

The bizarre non apology is someone unfit to be an MP, unfit to be a community leader, let alone the straightforward anti semitism in the letter she wrote and submitted to the National Newspaper.

Why would any community leader write that down and send it to a newspaper to be published? How do they truly understand the world? It leaves us wondering if Abbott does actually sincerely believe only black people suffer real racism, prejudice Jewish people suffer is lesser, in the hierarchy she is creating and understands, antisemitism is only on par with stick people with red hair endure. Also, we saw the rally in her constituency last week, we wonder if everyone gathered around her there, everyone who follows her lead and sticking up for her, sincerely subscribe to that warped hierarchy and world view too?

However, for all the media, Tory campaign and Conservative commentary trying to make something out of, what they refer to as Starmer bullying UKs first Black female MP, it was the “after your fpn and all the partying, why should we trust you again?” that’s actually playing large in this election campaign.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,594

Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

The polls are not wrong.

Conservatism exists not to stop progress, nor keep everything the same, but in acknowledgement natures way is everything forever changes, and we need to conserve what is of value and importance. You build a wall to keep the wild things out. Within the wall you build a path to get you from A to B safely in the dark or inclement weather. Where your way leads across the stream, you build a bridge. If you now do nothing to conserve the path and the wall and the bridge, nature will take them from you. It will change your world and take everything you value from you. Those things you want your children to learn in the right way, whilst on your knee? they will learn it first elsewhere, in the wrong way. The world needs Conservative thinking and Conservative action.

We have a Conservative Party in the UK that used to be very good at this, and often rewarded with power, but it has lost its way. Distracted by other things, it’s stopped focussing on its main reason to be - to conserve what is of value and what is important. The party has become an echo chamber for right wing capitalist think tanks and NeoCon groups, its leaders forgetting when they get excited by idea’s, they will ultimately have to defend them on the floor of parliament and at the ballot box.

Obviously I don’t agree. But then there is nothing agreeable about anything you post.

The situation arose when Abbott had a letter published in the Observer explaining only black people suffer real racism - any prejudice Jewish people suffer is lesser, in her opinion only on par with stick people with red hair endure. But this wasn’t all, it was compounded by a bizarre non apology. She’s sorry, but the wrong draft was submitted and published. How many drafts did you write? Just one.

The bizarre non apology is someone unfit to be an MP, unfit to be a community leader, let alone the straightforward anti semitism in the letter she wrote and submitted to the National Newspaper.

Why would any community leader write that down and send it to a newspaper to be published? How do they truly understand the world? It leaves us wondering if Abbott does actually sincerely believe only black people suffer real racism, prejudice Jewish people suffer is lesser, in the hierarchy she is creating and understands, antisemitism is only on par with stick people with red hair endure. Also, we saw the rally in her constituency last week, we wonder if everyone gathered around her there, everyone who follows her lead and sticking up for her, sincerely subscribe to that warped hierarchy and world view too?

However, for all the media, Tory campaign and Conservative commentary trying to make something out of, what they refer to as Starmer bullying UKs first Black female MP, it was the “after your fpn and all the partying, why should we trust you again?” that’s actually playing large in this election campaign.
    She also said, IIRC, gypsies didn’t suffer racism, either.
  • Options
    What odds that we see Ed Davey sitting in a bath of custard before the end of the campaign?
  • Options

Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

The polls are not wrong.

I was amazed by the abuse by people on my Facebook when Tyson Fury lost the other weekend about him being a traveller - I’m a horrid person and can poke fun inappropriately but I was staggered by the freedom of people giving him crap about his gypsiness (is that a word?) when they would be the first people to eviscerate someone for having a go at a boxer for his colour. They are so right on but had no problem with laughing and mocking his background.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,525

What odds that we see Ed Davey sitting in a bath of custard before the end of the campaign?

creme anglais perhaps?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,105

Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

The polls are not wrong.

Gypsies are probably the one group in the UK that face blanket racism every day.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,460

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

WTAF???

The reverse psychology approach would be a bold strategy to attempt, but points for creativity if he tries it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,313

A bungee jump over Ironbridge Gorge is likely on the grid
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Despite your user name you are a very balanced poster who can give credit to his opponents. Rare on here.
    Indeed. Never trust those who insist they are neutral, I know what I'm talking about.
  • Options

He missed doing that crazy chasing a cheese down a hill the other weekend.
  • Options

Might as well be the first party leader to have fun during a campaign - it might not help to spend it on a holiday, but it probably would not hurt it as much as conventional wisdom would suggest.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Can we expect him riding a tricycle through a Donbas minefield before the election campaign is over?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,452
    Diane Abbott has been offered a peerage by Keir Starmer if she quits as a Labour candidate -- The Times
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Despite your user name you are a very balanced poster who can give credit to his opponents. Rare on here.
    Thanks, I try to keep in mind that however strongly I think something there’s at least an even chance I’m mistaken.
  • Options
    Boeing not having the best of years.
  • Options

The dangers of a massive majority to one's own good governance is like 'a good election to lose', simply not the case. It comes with its own challenges, to be sure, but all things considered you'd rather have that headache than a tight majority.

For the public things might be a bit different, they should probably be wary of making things to easy for one political party, but whatever opponents might say about how bad things have been since 2019 or even more so 1997, with plenty of issues to point to, it really hasn't been the end of the world with either so I don't think the warning resonates with people in advance anyway.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,032

Boeing not having the best of years.

What's happened now?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,239
    edited June 1
    carnforth said:

Diane Abbott has been offered a peerage by Keir Starmer if she quits as a Labour candidate -- The Times

What about his policy on appointment to the Lords? No ex-MP can be a Lord until eight years or two parliaments have passed, whichever is longer.
  • Options
    edited June 1
    carnforth said:

This whole affair has really been quite weird. However it ends up just letting her doddle to an easy win and then be ignored for 4-5 years surely would have been easier without all this briefing and back and forth?
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

What about his policy on appointment to the Lords? No ex-MP can be a Lord until eight years or two parliaments have passed, whichever is longer.
    That's my policy! If he's adopted it he is clearly taking sound advice :).
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,452
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

He hasn't passed it yet, happily.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

carnforth said:

This whole affair has really been quite weird. However it ends up just letting her doddle to an easy win and then be ignored for 4-5 years surely would have been easier without all this briefing and back and forth?
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

That's my policy! If he's adopted it he is clearly taking sound advice :).
    Ah, I remember it being discussed on here in a discussion about Starmer's proposed changes to the Lords. I misinterpreted as it being his policy!
  • Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

He hasn't passed it yet, happily.
    Nor is it even his, check @kle4's comment. My mistake.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,923
    ToryJim said:

Ange is Labour's not-so-secret weapon. Especially, but not only, up north, Ange will enthuse quite a lot of people to vote Labour in a way that Starmer won't. That shouldn't be underestimated.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Bizarrely that’s just been mentioned on a daft quiz show I had on the telly in the background (not Davey’s proposed involvement)
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Diane Abbott will never stand for Labour at a General Election ever again. That much is obvious from the fact media can’t get Starmer or any front line Labour politician to say that she is. They have obviously got other stuff on her. 😁

Her own party has spent time and money putting together a case to ensure she cannot be a candidate, and we will probably have to wait till Tuesday to find out if she takes the Lords gig or what this, that, and the other, they have lined up to finish her. There is zero chance Diane Abbott will ever be a Labour Candidate again.

Which brings us to the Conservatives now rallying behind Abbott as though she’s been hard done by the Labour leaderships vetting? Are these the same people who, just earlier this year so fresh in the memory, exploited Azhar Ali remarks and disqualification from standing for Labour in a by election, and taunted Starmer to the max in not having changed his party? Because anyone and everyone can see opportunism and complete lack of principle when it happens, and you should not want floating voters to see that in you ever, not just at this dangerous moment.
  • Options

Sam Webster
    @SamInNotts

Even Grant Shapps couldn’t bring himself to back Caroline Henry, former Tory Police Commissioner for Notts

Caught speeding 5 times in 3 months!

Tory Party did nothing, Notts people voted her out

Now Tory candidate for Nottm North 😱

https://x.com/SamInNotts/status/1796899319640961445
  • Options

Indeed. I have come to the conclusion that a Labour landslide is now the best outcome: because it will cut the left out of party affairs for a generation.
  • Options

Sam Webster
    @SamInNotts

Even Grant Shapps couldn’t bring himself to back Caroline Henry, former Tory Police Commissioner for Notts

It’s insane that she wasn’t removed immediately from the candidate pool. That’s on Rishi and whoever won the latest round of musical chairs and gets to be Chairman for a bit.
  • Options
    "we can't even build a train line, so whats the point" sticks with me.

5 trends across our 10+ campaign focus groups.
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1796862741585531235
  • Options
    edited June 1
    Am increasingly convinced that the entire Conservative campaign is one gigantic case study in psychological projection.
    To be coming soon to a University course they'd abolish.
    Except they won't be able to.
    Because...
  • Options
    A comment on the campaign, so far. Obviously, Sunak and Starmer (and Davey) are central and dominate the discourse. But it strikes me that Labour are promoting much more of a team approach; Rayner, Reeves, Streeting, Philipson, Reynolds and others are all featuring quite strongly. Whereas for the Tories, I've barely seen anybody but Sunak. Cameron seems to be keeping a low profile, for example.

I think the Tories are hanging far too much on the popularity (or otherwise) of Sunak, and their presidential campaign is backfiring.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,526
    edited June 1
    Just logged on for the first time today. Interesting to see this poll with a 20% lead. Any other major political developments?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just logged on for the first time today. Interesting to see this poll with a 20% lead. Any other major political developments?

The Tories have found a nailed-on voter.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,110

Andy_JS said:

The Tories have found a nailed-on voter.
    I never had Jesus down as a Tory. Always seemed more of a Lib Dem.
  • Options
    edited June 1

A comment on the campaign, so far. Obviously, Sunak and Starmer (and Davey) are central and dominate the discourse. But it strikes me that Labour are promoting much more of a team approach; Rayner, Reeves, Streeting, Philipson, Reynolds and others are all featuring quite strongly. Whereas for the Tories, I've barely seen anybody but Sunak. Cameron seems to be keeping a low profile, for example.

I think the Tories are hanging far too much on the popularity (or otherwise) of Sunak, and their presidential campaign is backfiring.

Or maybe.
    He's the scapegoat for the utter intellectual, moral and philosophical void which constitutes the Conservative Party in 2024?
    Hang all the blame and suffering on him and we shall awake reborn and unstained on July 5th?
    (With the same prejudices and lack of understanding of what got them here).
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Ange is Labour's not-so-secret weapon. Especially, but not only, up north, Ange will enthuse quite a lot of people to vote Labour in a way that Starmer won't. That shouldn't be underestimated.
    RAYNER
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,801
    edited June 1

It's also absurd.

If they want to run presidential-style campaigns, then they need to change the constitution.

The strongest argument (among many!) for not voting conservative at the GE is that you genuinely have no idea which nutter the MP's/party members will choose to replace Rishi with. We're being asked to pull the arm on a fruit machine.

People ain't stupid.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Or maybe.
    He's the scapegoat for the utter intellectual, moral and philosophical void which constitutes the Conservative Party in 2024?
    Hang all the blame and suffering on him and we shall awake reborn and unstained on July 5th?
    Spectator says that many of leading Cabinet figures are too busy fighting in their own constituency backyard to be available for national battle bus bollocks.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Sam Webster
    @SamInNotts

It’s insane that she wasn’t removed immediately from the candidate pool. That’s on Rishi and whoever won the latest round of musical chairs and gets to be Chairman for a bit.
    Maybe they are just desperate.
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 102

Scott_xP said:

They know that. They want us to think other people care about taxes so we should.

Creepy stuff.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,110

ToryJim said:

I can't help but read the text of the tweet as an inflated Proclaimers song.

"But I would walk five thousand miles
    And I would walk five thousand more
    Just to be the man who walked a million
    Miles to fall down at your door"
  • Options
    ping said:

It's also absurd.

If they want to run presidential-style campaigns, then they need to change the constitution.

The strongest argument (among many!) for not voting conservative at the GE is that you genuinely have no idea which nutter you'll get.

People ain't stupid.
    Agree, except possibly with your last sentence.
  • Options
    ANC almost dipped below 40% with 99.9% counted. Extraordinary. I remember when they got 70%.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Or maybe.
    Spectator says that many of leading Cabinet figures are too busy fighting in their own constituency backyard to be available for national battle bus bollocks.
    True - good point. Though that doesn't apply, of course, to Lord Cameron.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,420
    The most entertaining aspect of the Tories running a presidential campaign with Richi is, they think he is the best they've got.

They think he is so much better than the rest of the cabinet they can't risk anybody else on the stump.

Which is why they are 20 points behind and counting
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The most entertaining aspect of the Tories running a presidential campaign with Richi is, they think he is the best they've got.

They think he is so much better than the rest of the cabinet they can't risk anybody else on the stump.

Who in the cabinet is better than Rishi in your opinion?
  • Options
    The Rozzers are investigating allegations of electoral fraud made against a Tory candidate.

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1797025918868693377?s=61

I’m not sure about this one to be honest. I’d have steered clear because I would not have wanted the excess furore required to work out whether it’s legit.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,265
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Who in the cabinet is better than Rishi in your opinion?
    The cabinet table?
This discussion has been closed.