Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Likely Lad – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,219
    When did it become acceptable for cyclists in London to ignore red lights? The million dollar question.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Update on the Regents Park cycling collision story I commented on at the weekend.

I hadn't noticed the excellent name of the Police Sergeant involved, who is presumably ex-Rainbow.

"Police Detective Sergeant Ropafadzo Bungo"

I also had not noticed witness statements that they considered the cyclist not to have been at fault. But I stand by my comments that certain things are readily available to be done on the Outer Circle to improve safety.

https://archive.ph/1BfAa

I’ve heard a story that Regents Park are thinking of installing rumble strip sections. Which apparently will barely inconvenience most users, but will be extremely annoying to people on a rigid frame, low profile tires and high speed.
    The instinctive reaction to anyone trying to keep fit is to attack them. "Lycra-clad cyclists". "Garmin watch runners". A form of deeply held self-loathing.

The NHS is collapsing under the population's weight. Child obesity is through the roof. It's entirely in the Boomer cohort's self-interest for us to all get healthier, whether through exercise, diet or cleaner air, lest you die choking in a corridor of some rotting hospital. Yet...

The absolute worst example of this was The Drake's prohibition of Parkrun during COVID. A volunteer run, entirely inclusive way to get a bit fitter and meet people of all ages and abilities. A way to prepare your heart and lungs for COVID. Astonishing short-sightedness.

I don't know why anyone younger than 50 and in decent shape should pay the tax that supports those who think like this. We should all move to a country that values personal responsibility and celebrates earning money through work and reducing, wherever possible, your reliance on the state.

(Sorry for the rant. I think my inner Thatcherite even made an appearance)
    There are two other, opposing, knee jerk reactions. One is cyclists good, evil motorists bad. The second is its opposite. As a mere pedestrian, I find cyclists harder to deal with as they are less predictable: have they seen me? Will they let me cross?. On the other hand, I'd also say driving standards are slipping. On the third hand, the recent well-intentioned changes to the Highway Code with its hierarchy of risk does not seem to have helped much.
    There is a humdinger of a spat on X atm about a cyclist twatting himself into a mini.

My view: cyclist at fault, but anything which damages a mini is a good thing.

https://twitter.com/EnemyCoastAhead/status/1787182732109586839?t=nI4xpr4aRfHU2AatKLQpvg&s=19
    Is this the one from the Sandford Police twitter?
    Cyclist drinking from a bottle, doesn't get the bottle back in time to be able to brake so hits the car.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,120
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Update on the Regents Park cycling collision story I commented on at the weekend.

I hadn't noticed the excellent name of the Police Sergeant involved, who is presumably ex-Rainbow.

I also had not noticed witness statements that they considered the cyclist not to have been at fault. But I stand by my comments that certain things are readily available to be done on the Outer Circle to improve safety.

I’ve heard a story that Regents Park are thinking of installing rumble strip sections. Which apparently will barely inconvenience most users, but will be extremely annoying to people on a rigid frame, low profile tires and high speed.
    The instinctive reaction to anyone trying to keep fit is to attack them. "Lycra-clad cyclists". "Garmin watch runners". A form of deeply held self-loathing.

The NHS is collapsing under the population's weight. Child obesity is through the roof. It's entirely in the Boomer cohort's self-interest for us to all get healthier, whether through exercise, diet or cleaner air, lest you die choking in a corridor of some rotting hospital. Yet...

The absolute worst example of this was The Drake's prohibition of Parkrun during COVID. A volunteer run, entirely inclusive way to get a bit fitter and meet people of all ages and abilities. A way to prepare your heart and lungs for COVID. Astonishing short-sightedness.

I don't know why anyone younger than 50 and in decent shape should pay the tax that supports those who think like this. We should all move to a country that values personal responsibility and celebrates earning money through work and reducing, wherever possible, your reliance on the state.

There are two other, opposing, knee jerk reactions. One is cyclists good, evil motorists bad. The second is its opposite. As a mere pedestrian, I find cyclists harder to deal with as they are less predictable: have they seen me? Will they let me cross?. On the other hand, I'd also say driving standards are slipping. On the third hand, the recent well-intentioned changes to the Highway Code with its hierarchy of risk does not seem to have helped much.
    There is a humdinger of a spat on X atm about a cyclist twatting himself into a mini.

https://twitter.com/EnemyCoastAhead/status/1787182732109586839?t=nI4xpr4aRfHU2AatKLQpvg&s=19
    Cyclist drinking from a bottle, doesn't get the bottle back in time to be able to brake so hits the car.
    IT'S A FUCKING BIDON NOT A "BOTTLE"!

Jesus Christ. This country.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

When did it become acceptable for cyclists in London to ignore red lights? The million dollar question.

Don't get me started.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    edited May 7
    148grss said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Trump wants to go to jail. He thinks that politically it is how he wins. Absurdly he has failed so far, but with jail the only legal sanction remaining its no strikes and you're out time.

How does jail work when the convict has a secret service detail? You could argue that as the convict would be in the protection of the authorities then they are not needed. How do you apply legal sanction fairly and equally - as demanded by the constitution - when you can't apply it equally because of who the convict is?

If jailed the plan is to keep him in a courthouse holding cell for the time being
    One suggestion I have seen is for a hour or two as a first wake-up call.

There are also analogies around about it being called a "timeout" as happens to tantrumming 3 year olds or footballers.

"You're losing control again, Mr Trump - I'm giving you a one hour timeout in the cooler. Do you want your pacifier?"
    I mean, it wouldn't be a "wake up call" though, would it? If you popped him in a cell for an hour or two he'd just get bored and annoyed, and then as soon as he got out again he'd blabber about how strong he is for surviving it and how awfully persecuted he is. Drawing it out is the problem - treating him with kid gloves just proves to his base that people are scared of him and that must mean he is strong. If the law will bend to him, he must be in the right and they must know, in their heart of hearts, this is a stitch up. Etc. etc. They should have denied him bail at the outset.
    The Republicans in Congress should have voted to convict him at his second impeachment trial in 2021.

I'm not sure he ever gets bored.

Sooner or later there will be an on-camera freakout - perhaps when police lay hands on him, perhaps when a judge tells him on camera to STFU.

His diehard supporters will believe whatever he tells them, even if it directly contradicts what they would otherwise see, or with sanity, or with the usual social requirement of acting in a non-laughable manner if you're an adult. See how some of them are wearing NAPPIES now in answer to Michael Cohen calling their hero "Von ShitzInPantz". Cohen presumably knew exactly what he was doing.

But many of Donald Trump's supporters are not diehard and in principle they can peel themselves off, as if not in a cult but on the outer periphery of one.

Mary Trump possibly has a different assessment of where he will go. She seems worried that he may be able to escape his current troubles.

You are right about how he projects his vantage-point: "This is what you know. This is how you're feeling, and what you're thinking, about being in the presence of a god". He was like that before he went into politics. Extremely powerful self-belief.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,317
    @faisalislam

Well. Cameronite inner circle former Conservative MP and former Tory minister Nick Boles introduces shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves speech on the economy to business… we knew he was advising the shadow team, but still quite something to see him her introducing her.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Obeying the commands of a light in a metal box is pure slave mentality. Particularly if you're chasing a KoM.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

They don't have them on Boris bikes so how on earth was I supposed to know.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Obeying the commands of a light in a metal box is pure slave mentality. Particularly if you're chasing a KoM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvHUVSAdKo
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,171

Construction PMIs:

UK 53.0
    EuroZone 41.9
    France 41.5
    Germany 37.5

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public/Release/PressReleases

Does suggest something of an economic malaise in much of Europe.

Or the Europeans are investing in things more productive than property.
    Well you can invest in property and get new houses built or you can invest in property and get higher prices on existing houses.

And new factories, new offices, new infrastructure all need building as well as new houses.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,599
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I'd have thought driver legally at fault - crossing traffic to make a turn, cyclist has right of way (assuming the cyclist is permitted to be overtaking on the inside, which I think he is).

Having said that, I'm pretty fucking cautious if I'm going up the inside of traffic as you're pretty invisible to any cars making a turn and if the traffic is queued you might have pedestrians zipping through, too. I'd not be flying up the inside like that. So I've got plenty of sympathy with the driver - should have been more cautious and gone more slowly, but even if he had been he'd have had a fair chance of netting a cyclist going at that speed.

Slower cyclist and slower car would have made braking (car) and braking/swerving to avoid (bike) possible.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,952
    TimS said:

New political “wall” alert:
    You've heard of the Red Wall, you might have heard of the Blue Wall. Today I'm unveiling the a new third-wall - the Ivy Wall.

These 31 English constituencies are each home to an Ivy Restaurant and will decide the fate of both the Liberal Democrats and Greens at the next GE (1/6)

https://x.com/adb0wen/status/1787486761163133421?s=46

Quite a useful concept. Also shows how the Ivy is doing what restaurants always do, overextend

The Ivy is taking what was a quality brand and spreading the butter thinner and thinner until the inevitable end.

See the celebrity chefs and their chains of places they have never even visited.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 271
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Guy is an amateur, everyone knows you empty the things and chuck them to spectators as souvenirs
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,593
    Constituency to watch once seat odds come out.

Birmingham Ladywood

The indy who got 70,000 in the West Mids election, Akhmed Yakoob is standing as an independent backed by Galloway. Shabhana Mahmood has a big majority here but no real opposition in the last 3 elections. This one will be interesting
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Guy is an amateur, everyone knows you empty the things and chuck them to spectators as souvenirs
    I assume that if the cyclist in this instance had tried to brake with his one free left hand he would have stacked it anyway?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,733
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I'd have thought driver legally at fault - crossing traffic to make a turn, cyclist has right of way (assuming the cyclist is permitted to be overtaking on the inside, which I think he is).

Having said that, I'm pretty fucking cautious if I'm going up the inside of traffic as you're pretty invisible to any cars making a turn and if the traffic is queued you might have pedestrians zipping through, too. I'd not be flying up the inside like that. So I've got plenty of sympathy with the driver - should have been more cautious and gone more slowly, but even if he had been he'd have had a fair chance of netting a cyclist going at that speed.

Slower cyclist and slower car would have made braking (car) and braking/swerving to avoid (bike) possible.
    At first I thought the cyclist was following the Vine method of accelerating into danger for a social media post, also the mainstay of many car-driving Youtube dashcam channels, but it is clear that:-

1. the cyclist does not see the car right in front of him and is probably not even looking
    2. the driver does not see the cyclist
    3. the council needs to repaint those road markings, including the end of the cycle lane

One side-effect of council austerity is road markings (as well as road surfaces) have deteriorated, often past the point where road safety is compromised.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I assume that if the cyclist in this instance had tried to brake with his one free left hand he would have stacked it anyway?
    Probably.

I'm liking the person on the bike behind (filming) who seems to do nothing to help they guy on the floor, but instead berates the driver, delaying him going to help the guy on the floor.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182
    edited May 7
    Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

OTOH what about people put off going for walks and taking exercise, which is v. needful as you say, by some cyclists being utter shits? It's a real problem along the Union Canal towpath in Edinburgh, for instance.

And the four times when I or someone next to me has been at real risk of serious injury, only one was a bog standard ned: two were middle-aged 40ish professional males who were Lycra-clad professionals with more watches than you could count (and one threatened to attack me), and the fourth was a whole peloton of Lycra enthusiasts 'reclaiming the streets' when I was crossing on the green man (this last as you and I have discussed).
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    edited May 7
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I've had a similar one.

I was in my own lane and the van on my outside flashed a mini (a yellow one in my case) to let it turn right into a side road. Neither of them checked it was safe to cross the inside lane.

Mini's fault all the way.

Hit it dead straight and buckled the frame, but I was pretty much unharmed as I wasn't going very fast.

The problem in this video is that there appears to be a cycle lane but it ends...
  • Options
    Sian Berry quits London Assembly after 3 days.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Drinking on the move is way above my pay grade. I stop, drink, replace, move on.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,600
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I have just looked up 'bidon' as it's not a word I've ever heard.

Apparently, it's a bottle used by cyclists.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,057
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Yep my thought was it is clearly the driver at fault. It may be an understandable error on his part but an error none the less. And the cyclist doesn't appear to me to be going particuarly fast or behaving incautiously.

I would also say the signs on the road are confusing. Initially he is in a cycle lane. That then ends but then just before he hits the car there is a cycle lane symbol on the road again although partially eroded.
  • Options
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,807

No space for an environmentalist in today's Green Party.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,535
    Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Wonder what they use it for?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Unless he's American.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

It is a kind of jerrican (only cheaper and nastier than the Wehrmacht design) and container for crap wine.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited May 7
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

OTOH what about people put off going for walks and taking exercise, which is v. needful as you say, by some cyclists being utter shits? It's a real problem along the Union Canal towpath in Edinburgh, for instance.
    Berlin has defined cycleways on a lot of footways, and Germans being Germans the boundaries are pretty well observed. Cyclists ping their bells if some gormless mook (me) wanders onto the cycleway. If you're British it takes some mental exertion to accept that the cyclists aren't doing this aggressively.
  • Options

Berry will be automatically replaced by her fellow Green who came *checks notes* fourth in the Mayoral election last week. Another triumph for party lists over democracy.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I've had a similar one.

I was in my own lane and the van on my outside flashed a mini (a yellow one in my case) to let it turn right into a side road. Neither of them checked it was safe to cross the inside lane.

Hit it dead straight and buckled the frame, but I was pretty much unharmed as I wasn't going very fast.

The problem in this video is that there appears to be a cycle lane but it ends...
    I'm definitely on the cyclist's side in that one. I have some sympathy for the mini driver, who probably simply didn't see the cyclist, and it was a genuine accident - but that doesn't obviate the need to check that the opposite carriageway is clear of traffic before turning right.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Unless he's American.
    Graceful vault over handlebars and over mini in that case, landing on feet on the other side, running and getting a backie on the following bike. Sweet move :smiley:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Wonder what they use it for?
    Pour se laver les pieds
  • Options
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,965
    If Trump were incarcerated would he still have access to social media?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 7
    No potholes in the West Mids

The situation in Rafah is very worrying. An Israeli offensive must not go ahead. There must be an end to the loss of innocent lives.

There should immediately be a ceasefire, the release of hostages and aid should be allowed into Gaza.

https://x.com/richparkerlab/status/1787523097119093042?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,226

Which is presumably why she's the Green candidate for the Brighton constituency at the next election :)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,952
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

And the four times when I or someone next to me has been at real risk of serious injury, only one was a bog standard ned: two were middle-aged 40ish professional males who were Lycra-clad professionals with more watches than you could count (and one threatened to attack me), and the fourth was a whole peloton of Lycra enthusiasts 'reclaiming the streets' when I was crossing on the green man (this last as you and I have discussed).
    Around where I am, the cyclists who want to go fast mostly head to Richmond park. Which is setup for fast cycling.

The problem is the ebike idiots who soup their steeds up and then ride them on footpaths at high velocity. If you speak to them, apparently they can’t go on the roads and it’s their right to do 20mph+ on the same patch of pavement as people walking.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,897
    megasaur said:

TOPPING said:

megasaur said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Drinking on the move is way above my pay grade. I stop, drink, replace, move on.
    I just drink and never cycle.
  • Options

At his size I'm not sure hiding the mobile phone would cause too many physiological problems.
  • Options

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Yep my thought was it is clearly the driver at fault. It may be an understandable error on his part but an error none the less. And the cyclist doesn't appear to me to be going particuarly fast or behaving incautiously.

I would also say the signs on the road are confusing. Initially he is in a cycle lane. That then ends but then just before he hits the car there is a cycle lane symbol on the road again although partially eroded.
    When do you think the cyclist saw the car? Was there time to steer out of danger? It looks as if he is fiddling with his bottle-like object rather than looking ahead until the last minute (note the late and quickly-corrected turn of his front wheel the wrong way). One other question is whether the blue car has flashed the Mini, thus lulling its driver into a false sense of security.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,965
    TOPPING said:

At his size I'm not sure hiding the mobile phone would cause too many physiological problems.
    I guess he could hide it in his nappy which might lead to even shittier posts.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,870
    edited May 7
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Trump wants to go to jail. He thinks that politically it is how he wins. Absurdly he has failed so far, but with jail the only legal sanction remaining its no strikes and you're out time.

How does jail work when the convict has a secret service detail? You could argue that as the convict would be in the protection of the authorities then they are not needed. How do you apply legal sanction fairly and equally - as demanded by the constitution - when you can't apply it equally because of who the convict is?

If jailed the plan is to keep him in a courthouse holding cell for the time being
    148grss said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

One suggestion I have seen is for a hour or two as a first wake-up call.

There are also analogies around about it being called a "timeout" as happens to tantrumming 3 year olds or footballers.

"You're losing control again, Mr Trump - I'm giving you a one hour timeout in the cooler. Do you want your pacifier?"
    I mean, it wouldn't be a "wake up call" though, would it? If you popped him in a cell for an hour or two he'd just get bored and annoyed, and then as soon as he got out again he'd blabber about how strong he is for surviving it and how awfully persecuted he is. Drawing it out is the problem - treating him with kid gloves just proves to his base that people are scared of him and that must mean he is strong. If the law will bend to him, he must be in the right and they must know, in their heart of hearts, this is a stitch up. Etc. etc. They should have denied him bail at the outset.
    I'd agree with your last comment. But I think the Judge will continue to bend over backwards to be incremental. His last warning to Trump was very blunt, however.

But they didn't - this has all highlighted imo:

1 - the fragility of USA democracy, and how it seems (unlike Western Europe .. recently) to have a reverse gear.

2 - institutional cowardice. We can hardly be proud on this, though.

There's a big reform agenda, which will need to extend to things like sorting out the SCOTUS.
    Yeah, but the Dems don't seem interested in enforcing it.

And, in the historical context of the US, it's kind of always what the centre / left have done. Post Civil War the Reconstruction era was good, and then the Southern right wingers hacked away at things to the point of winning and being able to build Jim Crow. That was done by SCOTUS judges and political dealings - sure 1877 wasn't great but it didn't have to spell the end of Reconstruction, but the centre / left Republicans had lost the will to force the issue with another potential war - perhaps understandably - but the cost was Jim Crow and the Southern Strategy, all the way to the modern Republican party. I think had the US put a line under things there, and refused to leave the South to undo Reconstruction, the US and the world would be a significantly different (and better) place.
  • Options

I would assume not unfettered - he might get allotted internet time? But I can't imagine he would be allowed full time access to his smart phone, for example.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    edited May 7
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I've had a similar one.

I'm definitely on the cyclist's side in that one. I have some sympathy for the mini driver, who probably simply didn't see the cyclist, and it was a genuine accident - but that doesn't obviate the need to check that the opposite carriageway is clear of traffic before turning right.
    Without a clear and obvious lane marking there's no indication of a hazard to right turners (unlike in my case).

But you should always proceed cautiously if you cannot see properly when crossing traffic that has the right of way. I would guess that legally the car is at fault.

This is a great illustration of why "cycle lane ends" should only be seen when exiting an urban area, and not anywhere near complex junctions. Usually it just means that Highways consider the next bit of road too complicated to make safe, so you should expect trouble.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,057

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

When do you think the cyclist saw the car? Was there time to steer out of danger? It looks as if he is fiddling with his bottle-like object rather than looking ahead until the last minute (note the late and quickly-corrected turn of his front wheel the wrong way). One other question is whether the blue car has flashed the Mini, thus lulling its driver into a false sense of security.
    Not sure. Again though worth pointing out that he is has actually slowed up as he approaches the junction.
  • Options

Berry will be automatically replaced by her fellow Green who came *checks notes* fourth in the Mayoral election last week. Another triumph for party lists over democracy.
    I don't think party lists are undemocratic; that's just how party lists work. People know if they vote Green on the party list vote that they will get candidates based on what the party agree. Who knows why Berry has quit so suddenly - it could be a medical issue for all the information currently available.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,542

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

I've had a similar one.

Without a clear and obvious lane marking there's no indication of a hazard to right turners (unlike in my case).

But you should always proceed cautiously if you cannot see properly when crossing traffic that has the right of way. I would guess that legally the car is at fault.

This is a great illustration of why "cycle lane ends" should only be seen when exiting an urban area, and not anywhere near complex junctions. Usually it just means that Highways consider the next bit of road too complicated to make safe, so you should expect trouble.
    I have sympathy for both in this case. I think the cyclist is probably not paying quite enough attention/distracted by the drinks bottle/unable to brake as only one hand on the handles and the driver is probably unsighted by the cars. Looks like minimum damage all round, lessons learned and on your way.
  • Options

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Not sure. Again though worth pointing out that he is has actually slowed up as he approaches the junction.
    I don't it matters whether the blue cars flashes - I was taught never to trust another drivers judgement of whether something is safe to proceed.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,461
    If - as Swinney says - Swinney is going to make wholesale changes to the government's program, then I do have to ask where his mandate is?

The Greens will vote for him as FM because they anticipate holding the whip hand. Alba will vote against him as FM because they hope to hold the whip hand. Ultimately though a confidence motion in the government - however little it can actually do with whatever legitimacy - will be won because the Tories and the Greens fear an early election.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I don't think party lists are undemocratic; that's just how party lists work. People know if they vote Green on the party list vote that they will get candidates based on what the party agree. Who knows why Berry has quit so suddenly - it could be a medical issue for all the information currently available.
    It is certainly within the rules but absent any external forces, it leaves the same bad taste as making Zac Goldsmith a minister just after the voters had slung him out.
  • Options
    A view of the university protests that you don't tend to get from the mainstream US or even UK media, from a lecturer at a university seeing it unfold:

https://twitter.com/aonchiallach/status/1787781417201484137

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2024/may/under-the-jumbotron

What I note is how often the right love to claim protesters are astroturfed, paid by Soros or someone else, and how they think students don't believe what they're saying and just doing it to be "cool" - when it is clear that many of the right-wing counter protests are exactly that kind of paid for response.
  • Options

If - as Swinney says - Swinney is going to make wholesale changes to the government's program, then I do have to ask where his mandate is?

The Greens will vote for him as FM because they anticipate holding the whip hand. Alba will vote against him as FM because they hope to hold the whip hand. Ultimately though a confidence motion in the government - however little it can actually do with whatever legitimacy - will be won because the Tories and the Greens fear an early election.
    If he changes the program but succeeds in getting legislation passed, what's the issue? Voters shouldn't expect that manifestos are binding documents - they are more directions of travel.
  • Options
    edited May 7

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

If you're fully focused on the road then you're going to ask yourself why the car in front has left a big gap. In fact early in the clip you can see, through another gap, the mini starting to turn. Also, the footage looks to be from handlebar mounted cam, so the cyclist - if paying attention - would have had a much better view of the road ahead from the higher position.

ETA: The cyclist may also be more visible to the driver (if looking) than the low angle from the footage suggests.
  • Options

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

That may be so, but even so, the onus isn't really on the cyclist to react should anyone suddenly appear in his lane. And the mini may have been flashed, but the onus is still on the driver of the mini to ensure the road is entirely free for him to cross.
    I'm sure it was a genuine mistake, and genuine mistakes happen. But that doesn't mean the mini driver isn't at fault.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

If you're fully focused on the road then you're going to ask yourself why the car in front has left a big gap. In fact early in the clip you can see, through another gap, the mini starting to turn. Also, the footage looks to be from handlebar mounted cam, so the cyclist - if paying attention - would have had a much better view of the road ahead from the higher position.
    I would say he (the cyclist) was driving without due care and attention as he was drinking and fiddling with the *****.
  • Options

If he changes the program but succeeds in getting legislation passed, what's the issue? Voters shouldn't expect that manifestos are binding documents - they are more directions of travel.
    I know that. But we're into farce territory with both parliaments having had 3 PMs/FMs. What the 2nd replacement is doing looks nothing like what the one elected promised.

Constitutionally its all good. Politically? Less good.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    148grss said:

From the Standard
    Commenting on Tuesday, she said: “Zoë has shown how much of a difference she will make in City Hall, listening to Londoners and bringing their voices into the political debate.

“That’s why she needs to be in this job as soon as possible. She is already a brilliant councillor and will be a brilliant assembly member for Londoners.”

Berry is off to fight Brighton Pavillion, she'd run on the basis she'd serve unless and until she was elected at a GE.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Berrys last less than 1/16th the lifespan of a lettuce. Shocking stuff.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    DavidL said:

Ratters said:

DavidL said:

On topic I hesitate to point out again, because it gives me no joy whatsoever, that Trump is currently ahead in the polling nationally and, even more importantly, is ahead in the polling in every battleground state, every single one.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

This was not the position in 2016 when he was well behind on the polling and got fewer votes over the country as a whole and still won. He is well ahead of where he was then, well ahead.

If he was anyone other than Donald Trump you would be calling this for him at this stage. We don't because we don't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it. But Trump is winning and the markets referred to in the thread header are high on Hopium.

There's 1.1pts in it nationally according to RCP you linked. The Economist tracker is similar.

That's a race that is neck and neck when we're still 6 months out from election day. Trump may be favourite but the polling lead isn't insurmountable in the way it is for the Tories here (where most people assume a small swingback but in this case it still leaves them 10+ points behind).
    But neck and neck is a win for Trump. He proved that in 2016. The Electoral College favours him or indeed any Republican. The winning post in 2016, for a fairly comfortable EC win, was 46.1%. Where he is, right now. Clinton got 48.2% and lost.

He has now been found guilty of contempt of court 10x. Its not moving the polls. If anything they have swung very slightly back in his direction in the last week.
    Yes. Trump is up 2% with Redfield & Wilton, 1% with Morning Consult, 1% with Yougov, in polls taken at the same time as the ABC Ipsos poll.

Trump ought to be miles behind, given his baggage and character. But, 45%+ voters just don't care. Abortion is keeping Biden in the race, but it's not changing the race.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I think closed lists are undemocratic. Why not have an open list system, where voters can choose the order of the candidates?
  • Options

I know that. But we're into farce territory with both parliaments having had 3 PMs/FMs. What the 2nd replacement is doing looks nothing like what the one elected promised.

That's fair and presumably both parties behind the farce will pay the price in the end.

Do you think if you replace a PM or FM there ought to be requirement for an election (say within 6 months)? Might concentrate minds a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

That may be so, but even so, the onus isn't really on the cyclist to react should anyone suddenly appear in his lane. And the mini may have been flashed, but the onus is still on the driver of the mini to ensure the road is entirely free for him to cross.
    I'm sure it was a genuine mistake, and genuine mistakes happen. But that doesn't mean the mini driver isn't at fault.
    You see, this is why I am uneasy round cyclists. As a pedestrian crossing the road, I need to know has a car driver or cyclist seen me, and are they giving way? It is often near-impossible to tell with cyclists, and I am afraid to take the risk even knowing that if I am left on the ground with a broken hip, it will have been the other guy's fault according to the Highway Code.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

It's a shame there aren't better ways to communicate in traffic. Sometimes if I'm in the right-hand lane and I slow down for something I wish I had a little sign that could flip out from the left side to tell the person behind me in the left-hand lane that they should slow down as well.

It's weird that communication tech has made huge advances everywhere but for vehicles we're still stuck in the 1950s or 1920s.
  • Options
    edited May 7

I know it was before them becoming your current political football team but I hope you're asking your fellow SLDs what mandate they thought Jack McConnell had when they happily continued in coalition with him after his coronation as SLab leader and election as FM.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

148grss said:

I think closed lists are undemocratic. Why not have an open list system, where voters can choose the order of the candidates?
    I mean, as long as people know that they're voting for the list the party wants - what's the issue? People delegate the list to the party to make, if you're a member of that party maybe you get input (if you are a Green Party member in London you get a vote on the list). That gives people the options to choose the parties that best represent them, and also gives power to party membership, which I think is a good balance within the systems we have.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    edited May 7
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Ratters said:

DavidL said:

On topic I hesitate to point out again, because it gives me no joy whatsoever, that Trump is currently ahead in the polling nationally and, even more importantly, is ahead in the polling in every battleground state, every single one.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

This was not the position in 2016 when he was well behind on the polling and got fewer votes over the country as a whole and still won. He is well ahead of where he was then, well ahead.

If he was anyone other than Donald Trump you would be calling this for him at this stage. We don't because we don't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it. But Trump is winning and the markets referred to in the thread header are high on Hopium.

There's 1.1pts in it nationally according to RCP you linked. The Economist tracker is similar.

That's a race that is neck and neck when we're still 6 months out from election day. Trump may be favourite but the polling lead isn't insurmountable in the way it is for the Tories here (where most people assume a small swingback but in this case it still leaves them 10+ points behind).
    But neck and neck is a win for Trump. He proved that in 2016. The Electoral College favours him or indeed any Republican. The winning post in 2016, for a fairly comfortable EC win, was 46.1%. Where he is, right now. Clinton got 48.2% and lost.

He has now been found guilty of contempt of court 10x. Its not moving the polls. If anything they have swung very slightly back in his direction in the last week.
    Biden is on 49% and 52% on the new polls in the header, that is more than enough for him to win again even if Trump still gets his 47% especially as Biden outperformed Hillary in the swing rustbelt states.

Only once the actual verdict is in in the Trump criminal trial might it make any difference in the polls at all and then
    only if some guilty verdicts
    and then likely only shifting some more Independents to
    Biden. Trump's base would
    probably now stick with him
    even if he was convicted of
    and jailed for murder sad to say as he himself has alluded
    to however the Independents
    who usually decide US
    elections wouldn't
    "Biden outperformed Hillary in the swing rustbelt states."

Not really true. Biden outperformed Clinton nationally.
    Biden's national popular voteshare was up 3.1% in 2020 on Hillary's share in 2016.

However Biden's voteshare was up in some swing states even more eg in Michigan it was up 3.35% on Hillary's voteshare, in Georgia it was up 4.18% and in Arizona it was up 4.78%. Biden won all those states Trump had won in 2016 and combined they made up over half the Democrats gains in the Electoral College which enabled Biden to win the EC and Presidency overall
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Which is presumably why she's the Green candidate for the Brighton constituency at the next election :)
    Letting facts get in the way of my ranting! Not fair!
  • Options

I see what you are getting at, but he will (presumably) get a formal mandate from the entire Parliament, by a vote of MSPs.

Unlike Westminster, so Westminster thinking like this doesn't carry over completely.

And changes will have been forced by events, votes of other parties, etc. Remember Holyrood's *designed* not to allow majority parties anyway.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Andy_JS said:

148grss said:

I mean, as long as people know that they're voting for the list the party wants - what's the issue? People delegate the list to the party to make, if you're a member of that party maybe you get input (if you are a Green Party member in London you get a vote on the list). That gives people the options to choose the parties that best represent them, and also gives power to party membership, which I think is a good balance within the systems we have.
    The list order is known before you vote,

Groovy Party list

1) Mother Teresa
    2) Terry Nutkins
    3) A Hitler

If I vote Groovy thinking Tess would be great I'm not looking for her to step aside on day three, find out Tel has cock rot and end up with some painter with big ideas
  • Options

That's fair and presumably both parties behind the farce will pay the price in the end.

Do you think if you replace a PM or FM there ought to be requirement for an election (say within 6 months)? Might concentrate minds a bit.
    PB one day: Swinney's Continuity Sturgeon!
    PB the next: how dare he differ from Sturgeon's policies!
  • Options
    edited May 7

I know it was before them becoming your current political football team but I hope you're asking your fellow SLDs what mandate they thought Jack McConnell had when they happily continued in coalition with him after his coronation as SLab leader and election as FM.
    TBF Mr McC had actually been elected as FM by the MSPs as a whole ... as all FMs are. (Including those ones who eject teddies, are deliberately unwell by accident, have to see a man about a very important dog, etc. on the day.)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

Dura_Ace said:

Zero commentary on the Kendrick vs Drake rap beef is a telling indictment on how disconnected this community is.

It’s probably because everyone on PB for once has the same opinion, that Drake is a Fanny and Kendrick Lamarr isn’t and so there’s no point having an argument about it here.
    KL is deep into BLM so I think there would be a few on here who, if they had access to any cultural frame of reference after The Doodletown Pipers, would be on Team Drizzy.

Macklemore just dropped a Palestine track that was straight fire and took a jab at Drake.
    I've heard the 'drank' song by Kendrick Lamarr. Never heard a song by Drake, but I think I've seen him - he looks like one of those bits of putty you push into a plastic pot to make a fart noise doesn't he?
  • Options
    edited May 7
    148grss said:

I do.

She, Humza Yousaf, and Leo Varadkar all caught the lergy of such a kind that can't be named in public.

Pedro Sanchez may be next to be stricken.

But let's discuss the democraticness or undemocraticness of legislator selection procedures.
  • Options

I have no problem changing leaders, especially in coalitions. It only becomes problematic when the new leader declares a specific mandate to radically change course - as Truss did, and as Swinney is now doing. This was less of a problem for Yousaf who was continuity Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

148grss said:

Party members get to choose the order on the list. If you want to influence that, join the party.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260
    Carnyx said:

I see what you are getting at, but he will (presumably) get a formal mandate from the entire Parliament, by a vote of MSPs.

Unlike Westminster, so Westminster thinking like this doesn't carry over completely.

And changes will have been forced by events, votes of other parties, etc. Remember Holyrood's *designed* not to allow majority parties anyway.
    Seems to be a deficit of sense on here re what majority means. If Swinney gets a mojority opf parliamentary votes he can do whatever he likes , just as Westminster.
  • Options
    One obvious observation since Thursday
    Both the Tories and Labour are absolutely sh**ting themselves over their disappearing voters and the Gaza vote respectively
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    edited May 7

I have no problem changing leaders, especially in coalitions. It only becomes problematic when the new leader declares a specific mandate to radically change course - as Truss did, and as Swinney is now doing. This was less of a problem for Yousaf who was continuity Sturgeon.
    No she didn't. The CT hike was not in the 2019 manifesto, nor was the health and social care levy. It's Sunak and Hunts swollen state and higher taxes that nobody voted for.
  • Options

Truss I can accept - it was a radical approach and done without even OBR cover. What about the response to COVID? Or Ukraine? Do external events that require changes of policy need a new election?
  • Options

Are you worrried that Swinney might reverse the GRR and Hate Crime bills, both of which the SLDs unanimously backed?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400
    kjh said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Muslim Vote group issues 18 demands to Starmer
    The group warned Labour that it would recommend supporters to vote Greens or Lib Dems if its demands were not met"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/muslim-vote-group-issues-18-demands-to-starmer-lhx8zhdp5

The venn diagram of where there’s a large Muslim population and Lib Dem target seats isn’t massively overlapping to say the least, so with the exception possibly of a couple of Green targets that essentially a threat to let the Tories back in.
    Might be useful in Woking. It has the oldest mosque in the country, built in 1889. I didn't put 2 and 2 together but Woking only had 2 Lab councillors, both in the same ward with a large Muslim population. One was up for re-election this time and the LDs took it off Lab. Could help the LDs take Woking off the Tories.
    There's also the fact that councillors representing the more heavily Muslim ares
    148grss said:

A view of the university protests that you don't tend to get from the mainstream US or even UK media, from a lecturer at a university seeing it unfold:

https://twitter.com/aonchiallach/status/1787781417201484137

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2024/may/under-the-jumbotron

What I note is how often the right love to claim protesters are astroturfed, paid by Soros or someone else, and how they think students don't believe what they're saying and just doing it to be "cool" - when it is clear that many of the right-wing counter protests are exactly that kind of paid for response.

Alternatively, below is a much more balanced view - from someone who is no fan of Israel. In saying there are lots of perfectly respectable calls for peace. But who doesn't deny there's a core of people (inc. organisers) who have come to believe deeply dangerous things that will bring about the opposite of peace were they to have any influence.

The former really need to stop making excuses for the latter, or their cause will be tainted by it. Twas ever thus, sadly, as people have been warning of this feature of the pro-Palestinian movement for decades. Namely that too often the reasonable critics of Israel and promoters of peace found themselves walking alongside those who want anything but that, because they've come to buy into some of the same hateful ideas as Hamas.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/05/israel-gaza-war-protest-movement/678303/

A similar point is also made here - from a strong Jewish critic of Israel, who nonetheless sees the problem with the far left taking over pro-Palestine groups and making them "anti-peace" in a way that's destructive for everyone, not least Palestinians, who become pawns in their forever war instead of people in need of a functioning state.

https://www.vox.com/politics/2024/5/2/24147192/israel-palestine-student-protest-columbia-ucla-radicalism
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,226

3/49 = 6% of a Truss
  • Options

Are you worrried that Swinney might reverse the GRR and Hate Crime bills, both of which the SLDs unanimously backed?
    Lol no - I anticipate that all bar the Greens will walk away from those with barely a murmur.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,179
    148grss said:

Andy_JS said:

148grss said:

Because voting for a slate rather than individuals is less democratic influence than voting for an individual.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,275
    Donkeys said:

148grss said:

I do.

She, Humza Yousaf, and Leo Varadkar all caught the lergy of such a kind that can't be named in public.

Pedro Sanchez may be next to be stricken.

But let's discuss the democraticness or undemocraticness of legislator selection procedures.
    Neurosyphilis would explain much of our current political climate.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Al-Mawasi "humanitarian" zone where people are being chased to from East Rafah measures 14km by 1km. If all the 1.4m people currently in Rafah are forced there, that would mean they had on average 10 sq m each.

Then you can be sure the story will be that "Hamas are operating" in Al-Mawasi, or someone lobbed a rock, and therefore some more "self-defence" is justified - or in the lingo it's legal 💪, it's moral 💪, and you can't physically stop it 💪.

Israeli tanks are at the Rafah to Egypt crossing now.
  • Options

No she didn't. The CT hike was not in the 2019 manifesto, nor was the health and social care levy. It's Sunak and Hunts swollen state and higher taxes that nobody voted for.
    Sorry, you are absolutely right. "Lets tank the economy and create a pensions crisis" was in the manifesto, right next to "we will put your mortgage up".

Truss, No mandate, No clue how markets work, No judgement.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

3/49 = 6% of a Truss
    Lady Sian Berry, London's Three Day Queen, serving honourably over a long Bank Holiday weekend.
    May the Climate be kind to her and bless her future
  • Options
    viewcode said:

3/49 = 6% of a Truss
    So only a leaf out of the Truss playbook.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Al-Mawasi "humanitarian" zone where people are being chased to from East Rafah measures 14km by 1km. If all the 1.4m people currently in Rafah are forced there, that would mean they had on average 10 sq m each.

Then you can be sure the story will be that "Hamas are operating" in Al-Mawasi and therefore some more "self-defence" is justified - or in the lingo it's legal 💪, it's moral 💪, and you can't physically stop it 💪.

On one side we have an Israeli government that cares not for human lives in Gaza. On the other side we have a Hamas terror regime that cares not for humanitarian lives in Gaza.

Both sides could stop this if they wanted to stop. Neither do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Carnyx said:

If a party has a majority at Westminster the new leader of that party automatically becomes PM, it doesn't need a new vote on it. Even in the hung parliaments if 2010-2015 and 2017-2019 Cameron and May never lost LD or DUP support and DUP support just transferred to Boris.

Yousaf however lost the support of the Greens and as the SNP don't have a majority at Holyrood they need a formal vote to ensure Swinney has Green support again as without Green support the SNP lacks the majority to stay in office and pass legislation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

If a party has a majority at Westminster the new leader of that party automatically becomes PM, it doesn't need a new vote on it. Even in the hung parliaments if 2010-2015 and 2017-2019 Cameron and May never lost LD or DUP support and DUP support just transferred to Boris.

Yousaf however lost the support of the Greens and as the SNP don't have a majority at Holyrood they need a formal vote to ensure Swinney has Green support again as without Green support the SNP lacks the majority to stay in office and pass legislation
    Not true. All FMs have to be voted in formally.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,317
    "The only thing that could turn around the Tory party’s fortunes now isn’t a vision: it is time travel. Just as Labour lost the 2019 election during 2018... sometimes a political party runs out of winning moves long before the game is over." ~AA
    @stephenkb

https://www.ft.com/content/9f3e6a59-ee49-4ef0-9ca1-99146c62ee31
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,897

The GRR was blocked by Westminster.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Then you can be sure the story will be that "Hamas are operating" in Al-Mawasi and therefore some more "self-defence" is justified - or in the lingo it's legal 💪, it's moral 💪, and you can't physically stop it 💪.

On one side we have an Israeli government that cares not for human lives in Gaza. On the other side we have a Hamas terror regime that cares not for humanitarian lives in Gaza.

What I am (grimly) interested in this whole nightmare is this - Is this what Hamas (a) expected and (be) wanted to happen? What were their goals on Oct 7th?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,848
    Buon giorno. It’s my big day! and you’re all invited

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,471
    isam said:

No potholes in the West Mids

The situation in Rafah is very worrying. An Israeli offensive must not go ahead. There must be an end to the loss of innocent lives.

There should immediately be a ceasefire, the release of hostages and aid should be allowed into Gaza.

https://x.com/richparkerlab/status/1787523097119093042?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Many Labour politicians were spouting this line yesterday.

Basically they are just begging for voters they took for granted and ignored their concerns not to abandon them.

It is quite pathetic really.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Hamas has, according to reporting, accepted the terms of the ceasefire proposed by the US. It is Israel who have rejected them. You can keep saying both sides are as bad as each other but, materially, Israel is clearly causing more destruction and killing more innocent people than Hamas ever has - and Israel clearly does not care about the hostages.