Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could the new SNP leader declare UDI? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,088

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

This afternoon I drove into Llandudno and half way down the Little Orme the speed changes from 40mph to 20mph

However, the 20 mph signs had been vandalised and my dash did not show the change to 20mph for the first time remaining at 40mph

Now I know the speed is 20mph and adjusted to the now average of 24mph but what is the legal position?

It would appear that you are well aware that it's 20mph. The police can use discretion on a decision to prosecute, but if you're above 20mph and get a fine then you can have no complaints.

8 months till the GE folks. Lots more of this to come. Already had Trans and cyclists.
    You are really out of touch with the situation in Wales over the change and whether you like it or not the Welsh government itself is implementing changes in their advice that will see some roads revert back from September

Furthermore, it is go safe official policy not to prosecute under 26mph and it has nothing to do with the GE as it is Labour in Wales who accept the implementation was badly handled and by September the policy should actually work
    I remember when Conservatives like yourself respected the law of the land.

As we've seen with wilful breaking of 20mph limits in Wales and the vandalism of ULEZ cameras in London, the right have abandoned the rule of law. Shame on them.
    Shameful comment

I respect the law of the land and it is the lawmakers themselves who are changing and amending their own law with widespread approval across the political divide in Wales

Indeed from a practical sense it is impossible to keep to 20mph when most everyone else is driving at 25mph and tailgating or overtaking the few who stay at 20mph

I would just say I have never received a ticket for any driving offence at all since I received my licence in 1961 nor have I ever been prosecuted for anything whatsoever and you should apologise
    Are you sticking to the speed limit of 20mph or not?

If you are being tailgated, the correct response is to slow down or pull over to reduce the chance of a collision. Not to break the law yourself.

"Impossible".

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

This afternoon I drove into Llandudno and half way down the Little Orme the speed changes from 40mph to 20mph

However, the 20 mph signs had been vandalised and my dash did not show the change to 20mph for the first time remaining at 40mph

Now I know the speed is 20mph and adjusted to the now average of 24mph but what is the legal position?

It would appear that you are well aware that it's 20mph. The police can use discretion on a decision to prosecute, but if you're above 20mph and get a fine then you can have no complaints.

8 months till the GE folks. Lots more of this to come. Already had Trans and cyclists.
    You are really out of touch with the situation in Wales over the change and whether you like it or not the Welsh government itself is implementing changes in their advice that will see some roads revert back from September

Furthermore, it is go safe official policy not to prosecute under 26mph and it has nothing to do with the GE as it is Labour in Wales who accept the implementation was badly handled and by September the policy should actually work

As we've seen with wilful breaking of 20mph limits in Wales and the vandalism of ULEZ cameras in London, the right have abandoned the rule of law. Shame on them.
    I remember when motorists of a certain generation didn't think the law of the land applied to them, from the howling when the breathalysers came in. Evidently they haven't changed.
    When those in charge of the go safe cameras say they will not prosecute under 26mph and the government itself is changing the legislation then it is not comparable nor is it political
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,815
    edited May 5
    ANECDOTE ALERT

Drinks at a charming pub in Primrose Hill with old lefty friends (one of them quite close to Sir Kir Royale's wife)

Behind us was a table of young (late 20s) Whitehall Civil Servants. They were talking quite loudly of a friend of theirs that works for Suella Braverman. they discussed how their leftwing friend despised all of Braverman's attitudes but felt obliged to do the work she asked, albeit slowly and with reluctance, so it didn't go so well

It was an illustration of the Blob in action
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,194
    edited May 5

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h
    🔴 Labour would have to enter a “coalition of chaos” with other parties to win office, No 10 sources have suggested, after an analysis said the general election could produce a hung parliament
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/05/05/labour-coalition-of-chaos-analysis-of-local-elections-torie/

===

The ludicrous Sky analysis by Thrasher has resulted in this nonsense.

Profs Thrasher and Rallings are two of the three best election experts in the country, along with John Curtice. I'd be a bit sceptical about trashing their analysis of the results.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

I remember when motorists of a certain generation didn't think the law of the land applied to them, from the howling when the breathalysers came in. Evidently they haven't changed.
    When those in charge of the go safe cameras say they will not prosecute under 26mph and the government itself is changing the legislation then it is not comparable nor is it political
    You can't pick and choose which laws you abide by.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

I respect the law of the land and it is the lawmakers themselves who are changing and amending their own law with widespread approval across the political divide in Wales

Indeed from a practical sense it is impossible to keep to 20mph when most everyone else is driving at 25mph and tailgating or overtaking the few who stay at 20mph

I would just say I have never received a ticket for any driving offence at all since I received my licence in 1961 nor have I ever been prosecuted for anything whatsoever and you should apologise

If you are being tailgated, the correct response is to slow down or pull over to reduce the chance of a collision. Not to break the law yourself.

"Impossible".

The vast majority are not but once the changes come in in September I expect go safe will be much stricter

You clearly have no experience of driving these roads otherwise you would realise how naive your suggestion is to pull over
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,171
    edited May 5

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

It is *extremely* political. We've had the Tories base a whole campaign for Mayor of London on ULEZ cameras and nothing else.

Edit: almost nothing else - but I don't want to talk about the other stuff, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,451
    Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h
    🔴 Labour would have to enter a “coalition of chaos” with other parties to win office, No 10 sources have suggested, after an analysis said the general election could produce a hung parliament
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/05/05/labour-coalition-of-chaos-analysis-of-local-elections-torie/

===

Profs Thrasher and Rallings are two of the three best election experts in the country, along with John Curtice. I'd be a bit sceptical about trashing their analysis of the results.
    Absolutely right. A hung parliament is a Clear and Present Danger. So absolutely everyone needs to stop and think about who they need to vote for to avoid that and Absolutely Must come out and vote.

Truss is a LibDem sleeper. Apparently Sunak is a Labour sleeper. Because leading the Labour get out the vote operation is an unusual strategy for the Tory leader
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

Absolutely right. A hung parliament is a Clear and Present Danger. So absolutely everyone needs to stop and think about who they need to vote for to avoid that and Absolutely Must come out and vote.

Truss is a LibDem sleeper. Apparently Sunak is a Labour sleeper. Because leading the Labour get out the vote operation is an unusual strategy for the Tory leader
    Except when it is Scotland where a hung parliament is exactly what the Unionist creators of the voting system wanted.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107
    Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

It would be more acceptable if they were using data from Scotland and Wales aswell . Even then it’s ridiculous to not factor in that the Lib Dems , Greens and Independent votes would be lower at a GE .
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Tell that to the tens of thousands of drivers in Wales when 26mph is the defacto law or the bus drivers or taxi drivers who do not keep to 20mph
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Why isn't the law on begging applied in big cities? Also the cannabis laws.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Tell that to the tens of thousands of drivers in Wales when 26mph is the defacto law or the bus drivers or taxi drivers who do not keep to 20mph
    Because of the behaviour of the Conservatives in urging lawbreaking and mass disrespect for the law.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

It is *extremely* political. We've had the Tories base a whole campaign for Mayor of London on ULEZ cameras and nothing else.

Edit: almost nothing else - but I don't want to talk about the other stuff, for obvious reasons.

I have no interest in ULEZ which was politicised

The 20mph Welsh law is not
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

The vast majority are not but once the changes come in in September I expect go safe will be much stricter

You clearly have no experience of driving these roads otherwise you would realise how naive your suggestion is to pull over
    I'm from 20mph Edinburgh. I just slow to 16mph and put Radio 4 on.

I've got a holiday coming up in N.Wales (got some climbing planned) and intend to do the same there - please leave me plenty of space!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

McCormick couldn't even become FM even in the unlikely event he beat Swinney as he is not an MSP let alone declare UDI.

However even if he did become SNP leader, the SNP won a majority of MPs at the next general election and had more seats than Unionists at Holyrood still and he became an MSP and FM and then declare UDI that would be constitutionally illegal without Westminster consent as Holyrood's powers are devolved from Westminster and the Crown. Direct rule would be imposed in such an event from London until such time as the matter was resolved, just as Madrid imposed direct rule on Catalonia when the Catalan nationalist government declared UDI in 2017

What about the tanks? It’s not an HYUFD comment on Scottish UDI without mention of tanks.
    That didn't last long. Mr Stripy Shirt has reconsidered.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24300639.snp-activist-withdraws-leadership-challenge-john-swinney/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=050524
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    ohn Swinney to be crowned SNP leader unopposed on Monday after persuading last-ditch no-hoper contender Graeme McCormick NOT to run against him (despite passing nominations threshold). So.. what was McCormick offered?!

https://x.com/ChrisMusson/status/1787238735890809089
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,240
    Biden reportedly suspended arms shipments to Israel last week.
    https://twitter.com/Martin_Indyk/status/1787143957249462641
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

I've got a holiday coming up in N.Wales (got some climbing planned) and intend to do the same there - please leave me plenty of space!
    20mph is such a trauma. Imagine the outrage if they did something crazy like putting it on the main road from the capital to England?

Oh yeah. They have. Repeatedly. It gets obeyed. And there’s no problem. In Scotland.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

I expect you will have an interesting experience if you try your Edinburgh driving here in North Wales
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Criminals, I'm afraid. Even the taxi drivers?!?!
  • Options
    Blimey, someone other than Red Bull won a GP.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

I do wonder what will happen when the first child is killed in a former 20mph zone. Some residents are clearly unhappy about the u-turn.
  • Options
    edited May 5

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

20mph is such a trauma. Imagine the outrage if they did something crazy like putting it on the main road from the capital to England?

Oh yeah. They have. Repeatedly. It gets obeyed. And there’s no problem. In Scotland.
    Imposed by ... *drumroll*... the Conservatives!

Happily, the Scottish Conservatives have not yet got into mass lawbreaking and attacks on the Rule of Law.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

Happily, the Scottish Conservatives have not yet got into mass lawbreaking and attacks on the Rule of Law.
    If I lived in places like Lauder, I’d want 20mph. It’s not “anti-motorist”, it’s pro-sanity
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

I expect you will have an interesting experience if you try your Edinburgh driving here in North Wales
    I've previously found Welsh people decent, considerate and friendly. I hope that hasn't changed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Blimey, someone other than Red Bull won a GP.

That's some speed I can get behind.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

If I lived in places like Lauder, I’d want 20mph. It’s not “anti-motorist”, it’s pro-sanity
    Or Pathhead, or Foggieloan, or Munlochy ...
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

I've previously found Welsh people decent, considerate and friendly. I hope that hasn't changed.
    Of course it hasn't

Indeed if you plan your visit from September the changes should be implemented making the whole scheme acceptable and workable with many 20mph zones retained
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

Must we do this again? No one objects to 20 mph zones where justified. In Wales there was a blanket imposition with no respect to whether that speed limit was needed. Even the Welsh government thinks this was an error.
    Twenty miles per hour is totally appropriate outside schools, in many built up areas etc. Accudents at 20 are far less damaging than at 30. We get that.

In an ideal world drivers would use the speed appropriate for the road and conditions. In the real world limits apply, but are also often ignored. Bath has imposed 20 mph zones in many places. Most drivers exceed 20. Arguably they are slowed down from previously, when it was 30. It will probably save lives, avoid injuries.
    But it was applied with some thought, and not just a blanket imposition.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

Lots of HGVs use those main routes and so 20mph becomes even more important compared with a traffic calmed residential area with little traffic.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    A stray thought on pet Chihuahuas: I love most dogs, but make an exception for almost all the dogs of that breed. Recently, it occurred to me that they might be so annoying because they somehow know that Mexicans used to eat many of them. (It's a crazy idea, but consistent with the facts, as far I know them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_(dog_breed) )
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

Must we do this again? No one objects to 20 mph zones where justified. In Wales there was a blanket imposition with no respect to whether that speed limit was needed. Even the Welsh government thinks this was an error.
    Twenty miles per hour is totally appropriate outside schools, in many built up areas etc. Accudents at 20 are far less damaging than at 30. We get that.

In an ideal world drivers would use the speed appropriate for the road and conditions. In the real world limits apply, but are also often ignored. Bath has imposed 20 mph zones in many places. Most drivers exceed 20. Arguably they are slowed down from previously, when it was 30. It will probably save lives, avoid injuries.
    And as you know it’s up to *the councils* to set the speed limit. 30 became 20. But who sets where those 20s are? The council.

What kills me about all the wailing and gnashing over 20mph / LTNs / ULEZ / CAZ etc etc is the entitled angry man syndrome, where our time is critical and our rights override anyone else’s rights. 20mph slows you down. So does traffic. Set off slightly earlier.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

And that is the position of the Welsh government, there is widespread approval of 20mph zones by schools, hospitals, villages and congested areas

I fear there is a misunderstanding by some on just how badly it was implemented and how much work the Welsh government, local authorities and residents groups are putting into the changes due in September
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

It's not just that the 20mph reduces the severity of collisions. It reduces the chance of a collision happening in the first place. They reckon a 40% fall in Edinburgh.

The problem with 20mph zones is that people get hit by drivers throughout built up areas. Outside schools, for example, is great for kids being driven to school, but does very little for those walking or cycling across a village or town.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721
    edited May 5
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

It would be more acceptable if they were using data from Scotland and Wales aswell . Even then it’s ridiculous to not factor in that the Lib Dems , Greens and Independent votes would be lower at a GE .
    They might be lower overall, but that would not be relevant if the parties were concentrating on a smaller number of selected constituencies.

That is why it is a mistake on the part of some number-crunchers to apply nation-wide percentages to these constituencies. They get their results wrong.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

And that is the position of the Welsh government, there is widespread approval of 20mph zones by schools, hospitals, villages and congested areas

I fear there is a misunderstanding by some on just how badly it was implemented and how much work the Welsh government, local authorities and residents groups are putting into the changes due in September
    The clear impression that has been given is that 20mph will be withdrawn from many villages and built up areas. We'll see, anyway.

But more importantly: good night and keep well.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

And as you know it’s up to *the councils* to set the speed limit. 30 became 20. But who sets where those 20s are? The council.

What kills me about all the wailing and gnashing over 20mph / LTNs / ULEZ / CAZ etc etc is the entitled angry man syndrome, where our time is critical and our rights override anyone else’s rights. 20mph slows you down. So does traffic. Set off slightly earlier.
    You need to understand that the Welsh government's instructions to Council are about to change on their own admission errors have been made and the councils will be given the power to review the changes under the new advice from the Welsh office

Nobody is suggesting 20mph are not good in the area of schools, hospitals, residential areas, or villages but large areas of North Wales are not villages but interconnected towns and it has caused havoc with bus services and taxis which is recognised

This is not an angry man syndrome, but a real issue and also an economic one and the answer is to make it work which the Welsh government are intent on doing
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,890
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

When neither the police,politicians or civil servants respect the rule of law why the fuck should the rest of us?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,998

ohn Swinney to be crowned SNP leader unopposed on Monday after persuading last-ditch no-hoper contender Graeme McCormick NOT to run against him (despite passing nominations threshold). So.. what was McCormick offered?!

https://x.com/ChrisMusson/status/1787238735890809089

Chips? Potato fritter? All of these are at the behest of the Swinney. I've done worse for less.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

The clear impression that has been given is that 20mph will be withdrawn from many villages and built up areas. We'll see, anyway.

But more importantly: good night and keep well.
    Actually I think you may have identified a misunderstanding because it will not be withdrawn from villages or residential areas but many interconnected roads in North Wales will be revised as decided under the new policy from Cardiff

And good night and thank you - I still struggle but accept that modern medicine has given me a chance of a wee while longer to see Starmer in no 10
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Prof Michael Thrasher explains his forecast of Lab 294, Con 242, LD 38, Others 66 based on the local election results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePP_iofypE
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Drinks at a charming pub in Primrose Hill with old lefty friends (one of them quite close to Sir Kir Royale's wife)

Behind us was a table of young (late 20s) Whitehall Civil Servants. They were talking quite loudly of a friend of theirs that works for Suella Braverman. they discussed how their leftwing friend despised all of Braverman's attitudes but felt obliged to do the work she asked, albeit slowly and with reluctance, so it didn't go so well

Braverman is a backbencher. She hasn't got civil servant staff.
    She is the poster child for everything that is wrong in the conservative party and should join Reform which is where she belongs

Can we have our one nation party back please
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

i presume they were talking about her time when she was a minister

Hence the past tense: despiseD, and felt obligeD, and it DIDN'T
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

i presume then they were talking about her time when she was a minister
    I heard something similar while sitting outside having a drink at that German Gymnasium place in Kings Cross/ Coal Drops Yard a few months ago. Sitting near to me were what were obviously a group of young civil servants, chatting about how awful the Tories were. Didn't bother to keep their voices down.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

She is the poster child for everything that is wrong in the conservative party and should join Reform which is where she belongs

Can we have our one nation party back please
    I know thee not, old man
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,539
    edited May 5
    Andy_JS said:

Prof Michael Thrasher explains his forecast of Lab 294, Con 242, LD 38, Others 66 based on the local election results.

If you add in swingback, Reform collapsing, a fantastic economy, Rwanda, the fear of a coalition of chaos, Rishi is looking at a healthy majority. Or it could be utter bollocks.

Do we normally extrapolate a GE from locals?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,136
    edited May 5
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Even if it was 'worked for' previously I don't really buy the story. Yes, we've all seen stories of moaning civil servants in the Home Office or whatever, and of course the nefarious interferences of Sir Humphrey on screen, but personally I take pride in working professionally regardless of who it is for, and most people choosing to work for the civil service would I am sure feel the same way.

Indeed, departments are so huge and working on so many things I don't find the idea of a cohesive blob going slow or deliberately poorly very plausible, even if isolated examples exist.

That's not how most people act even in jobs they don't like or for bosses they don't like, especially when day to day few will have direct interaction with even the decisions of a minister. People try to do a good job, or make things better as best they can within constraints they may dislike.

And even if we accept ill motivations of the Sir Humphreys, remember even then pride was taken in doing a job well.

Humphrey: It's my job to carry out government policy.

Hacker: Even if you think it's wrong?

Humphrey: Well, practically all government policy is wrong! But, frightfully well carried out.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

I heard something similar while sitting outside having a drink at that German Gymnasium place in Kings Cross/ Coal Drops Yard a few months ago. Sitting near to me were what were obviously a group of young civil servants, chatting about how awful the Tories were. Didn't bother to keep their voices down.
    Whilst I can understand the “civil servants shouldn’t do that” approach, this is like The Thick of It and the government policy is “let’s get rid of computers”

It isn’t an outrage for the civil service to react “that’s fucking mental”

Yes and go
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,136

Andy_JS said:

If you add in swingback, Reform collapsing, a fantastic economy, Rwanda, the fear of a coalition of chaos Rishi is looking at a healthy majority. Or it could be utter bollocks.

Many do, but in the 'it passes the time' sense only.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited May 5
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Well when you wage a culture war against the young and well-educated, what do you expect?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

If you add in swingback, Reform collapsing, a fantastic economy, Rwanda, the fear of a coalition of chaos Rishi is looking at a healthy majority. Or it could be utter bollocks.

It is silly because as I understand it Scotland and Wales are excluded which should see Starmer add upto 60 odd
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,873
    edited May 5
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Neither civil nor servants?

Although strictly speaking I think they are serving the state (crown), not government ministers
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,211

...Do we normally extrapolate a GE from locals?

Usually, yes

• Options
    viewcode said:

...Do we normally extrapolate a GE from locals?

Usually, yes

I am not so sure we do.

I voted PC for Thursday's PCC vote. I won't be voting for them at the GE.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126

Andy_JS said:

If you add in swingback, Reform collapsing, a fantastic economy, Rwanda, the fear of a coalition of chaos, Rishi is looking at a healthy majority. Or it could be utter bollocks.

Andy_JS said:

Swingback should already have largely happened - indeed during the formal election campaign period it tends to go into reverse.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Two quasi-related Thoughts for Thoughtful PBers:

1. Nothing exceptional IMHO about BigG saying that he drives (as a rule, depending upon specific road conditions & circumstances) at just under the EFFECTIVE speed limit, which as enforced by local constabulary is about 4 k/h above the LEGAL speed limit.

Standard practices in most of USA outside of very congested areas, construction and school zones, and (of course) rural speed-traps. For one thing, it tends to help re: margin of error for speed guns, also with traffic flow, while still keeping speed down to semi-reasonable level.

2. Am all ago to start writing scenario for early 21st-century version of "Thunder Road" set in the highways & byways of North Wales, with a lead character closely (albeit loosely) based on BigG. So who(m) can we get to play the Robert Mitchum / BigG_Wales role? AND what is the alternative to smuggling Tennessee moonshine, for BG in NW?
  • Options

Two quasi-related Thoughts for Thoughtful PBers:

1. Nothing exceptional IMHO about BigG saying that he drives (as a rule, depending upon specific road conditions & circumstances) at just under the EFFECTIVE speed limit, which as enforced by local constabulary is about 4 k/h above the LEGAL speed limit.

Standard practices in most of USA outside of very congested areas, construction and school zones, and (of course) rural speed-traps. For one thing, it tends to help re: margin of error for speed guns, also with traffic flow, while still keeping speed down to semi-reasonable level.

2. Am all ago to start writing scenario for early 21st-century version of "Thunder Road" set in the highways & byways of North Wales, with a lead character closely (albeit loosely) based on BigG. So who(m) can we get to play the Robert Mitchum / BigG_Wales role? AND what is the alternative to smuggling Tennessee moonshine, for BG in NW?

I think the only person to play Big_G is himself. 😀

Whilst "Thunder Road" would be good, I'd go for a remake of "Mad Max"... 😀
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

Isn't the problem not with the results themselves but how they've been interpreted on TV - if people voted tomorrow in exactly the same patterns as at the locals, and Lab's voter efficiency was as bad as it's been in recent elections, then yes, we'd be heading for hung parliament/small Lab Majority absent Scotland and Wales - where Lab should be making gains in the former.

But that isn't going to happen because people vote differently in GE's in a way that usually boosts Labour quite a bit due to the Lib Dem and now Green strength in local government but currently being minor players in Westminster elections.

You only need to look at the places the Conservatives were losing (before even factor in likely tactical voting) to see if a real GE were held tomorrow it would be a bloodbath for the Tories, not a hung parliament.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642
    edited May 5
    MJW said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

Isn't the problem not with the results themselves but how they've been interpreted on TV - if people voted tomorrow in exactly the same patterns as at the locals, and Lab's voter efficiency was as bad as it's been in recent elections, then yes, we'd be heading for hung parliament/small Lab Majority absent Scotland and Wales - where Lab should be making gains in the former.

But that isn't going to happen because people vote differently in GE's in a way that usually boosts Labour quite a bit due to the Lib Dem and now Green strength in local government but currently being minor players in Westminster elections.

You only need to look at the places the Conservatives were losing (before even factor in likely tactical voting) to see if a real GE were held tomorrow it would be a bloodbath for the Tories, not a hung parliament.
    There is polling evidence to back that. Survation conducted a poll across all the councils holding local elections in 2023. When the same people were asked how they would vote at both the local elections and a general election, the Labour lead widened by 7% at the GE. Omnisis did the same and the lead widened by 8%.

Basically, that means that whatever gap Thrasher comes up with in his "NEV" based on voting in local elections alone, you have to add on another 7% or 8% to it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    edited May 5
    I have never before watched GB News until 10 minutes ago but if there is a worse station with a less appealing host or guests I've not seen it. Are they getting viewers? It's the Addams family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4De7JdgHC88
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,271
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

THE DRAKE
  • Options
    Roger said:

I have never before watched GB News until 10 minutes ago but if there is a worse station with a less appealing host or guests I've not seen it. Are they getting viewers?

When it first appeared it was comedy gold. These days they are running rings around Ofcom rules. They have been losing millions and there is talk of it going on line only. They did beat the other right-wing TV vehicle Talk TV, which wasn't as terrible in terms of production values, but is now YouTube only.
  • Options
    edited May 5
    JG Ballard was a genius at predicting the future.

"...he soon finds himself immersed in the deeper waters of middle-class revolution originating from the gated community of Chelsea Marina,[3] an upper middle-class enclave of salaried professionals."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_People
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,271

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

You very quickly get used to a 20mph limit, and, after a while, start to prefer it. I was against it when it came in, but it’s almost ubiquitous in north London now. So I got used to it. And it’s better, because cars don’t race up to bottlenecks (of which there are many). The surprising thing is it makes for better local driving. Give it a good go, is my advice, you will be converted quite quickly.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    edited May 5
    Rishi Sunak: “These results suggest we are heading for a hung parliament with Labour as the largest party".

I can't recall hearing a PM say something like that before. He hasn't got a grasp on the party leader's job at all. He's effectively saying "This suggests that the first chance the British people get, they'll remove me from office." He might as well resign now if he thinks that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"...he soon finds himself immersed in the deeper waters of middle-class revolution originating from the gated community of Chelsea Marina,[3] an upper middle-class enclave of salaried professionals."

This is my favorite short story of his: "Report on an Unidentified Space Station"

https://sseh.uchicago.edu/doc/roauss.htm
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

James Ballard was a little bit pervy. See "Crash".
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

James Ballard was a little bit pervy. See "Crash".
    An English metropolitan suburban writer in the 1970s being a little bit pervy? Now there's a surprise... :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Errr.

Everybody chooses which laws they abide by. For some it is 99.9% for others it is a much lower percentage.
  • Options

Roger said:

I have never before watched GB News until 10 minutes ago but if there is a worse station with a less appealing host or guests I've not seen it. Are they getting viewers?

When it first appeared it was comedy gold. These days they are running rings around Ofcom rules. They have been losing millions and there is talk of it going on line only. They did beat the other right-wing TV vehicle Talk TV, which wasn't as terrible in terms of production values, but is now YouTube only.
    GB News is to left-wingers what Novara Media is to conservatives.
  • Options
    "MH370 — New Search
    Richard Godfrey

Ocean Infinity presented a new MH370 underwater search proposal to Anthony Loke, the Malaysian Minister of Transport in Kuala Lumpur on 2nd May 2024. Anthony Loke said that based on discussions held on Thursday, the company had submitted a proposal paper along with evidence and information for examination by the relevant parties under his ministry. The new search for MH370 is expected to start in November 2024."

https://www.mh370search.com/2024/05/05/new-search/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Andy_JS said:

Yes, as a kid I grew up watching the Tories do pretty well in locals and Tony King would dismiss them as “not nearly good enough”. He was right.

Now, I think Labour will get over the line, but Thrasher’s projection shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,727
    No 10 ‘shelves plan for summer general election’
    Allies say Sunak hopes an improving economic picture and Rwanda flights finally leaving can improve his re-election chances this autumn

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/05/05/downing-street-shelves-plan-summer-general-election/ (£££)

Bookmakers and Betfair generally offer two markets: date of election by month, and by 3-month band. Odds can be compared at:-
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/month-of-next-general-election
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/date-of-election
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,727
    Roger said:

I have never before watched GB News until 10 minutes ago but if there is a worse station with a less appealing host or guests I've not seen it. Are they getting viewers? It's the Addams family

In that clip, even the two anti-Khan guests end up defending Khan and criticising Susan Hall.
  • Options
    Bartiromo: I see that the RNC is filing a lawsuit in a battleground state to stop counting ballots past election day.

Lara Trump: Yeah. Well, that's exactly right. You cannot have ballots counted after elections are over.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1787127359906472331
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,110

At the same time, I always lay down the challenge to everyone saying Autumn or winter, but without giving your analysis as to why - tell us, what is actually going to change for the better for Sunak and Government ratings from waiting what is just about 15 weeks longer, before disolving parliament?

This is the same faulty analysis that led you up the garden path to the confidently asserted yet ultimately wrong May 2nd bullshit.

Sunak is not trying to maximise the number of tory seats after the GE, he is trying to maximise the duration of his term as PM. The only countervailing pressure to going as late as possible is the threat of removal by the men in grey everything. He managed to skip past the moment of imminent peril in the locals by spinning that ludicrous Susan Hall lie to instill some temporary ataraxis in the tory party. By the time it had become apparent that she had, in fact, lost Sunak was safely through Max Q and the rebels had wandered off to have a lie down.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,026
    Nigelb said:

Bartiromo: I see that the RNC is filing a lawsuit in a battleground state to stop counting ballots past election day.

Lara Trump: Yeah. Well, that's exactly right. You cannot have ballots counted after elections are over.

The banner headline under that Fox News video says “overall inflation up 18.9%”. I can only assume they’re quoting the percentage increase in the percentage inflation rate, which is “novel” spin.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,026

Dura_Ace said:

At the same time, I always lay down the challenge to everyone saying Autumn or winter, but without giving your analysis as to why - tell us, what is actually going to change for the better for Sunak and Government ratings from waiting what is just about 15 weeks longer, before disolving parliament?

This is the same faulty analysis that led you up the garden path to the confidently asserted yet ultimately wrong May 2nd bullshit.

Sunak is not trying to maximise the number of tory seats after the GE, he is trying to maximise the duration of his term as PM. The only countervailing pressure to going as late as possible is the threat of removal by the men in grey everything. He managed to skip past the moment of imminent peril in the locals by spinning that ludicrous Susan Hall lie to instill some temporary ataraxis in the tory party. By the time it had become apparent that she had, in fact, lost Sunak was safely through Max Q and the rebels had wandered off to have a lie down.
    We should remember too that for many Tory backbenchers, the calculation is similar. If facing near-certain defeat, why not hang on for an extra few months' salary (and the outside chance something will turn up)?
    It’s perfectly rational. I think I’d probably delay the election as long as possible if I were Sunak, to January.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,594
    Nigelb said:

Does that mean Trump’s admitting guilt in the Georgia case?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,397

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

"Impossible".

You very quickly get used to a 20mph limit, and, after a while, start to prefer it. I was against it when it came in, but it’s almost ubiquitous in north London now. So I got used to it. And it’s better, because cars don’t race up to bottlenecks (of which there are many). The surprising thing is it makes for better local driving. Give it a good go, is my advice, you will be converted quite quickly.
    I encountered it for the first time on holiday in Wales and couldn't see the problem.

Most people complied, without oversight from speed cameras, and on the whole it seemed reasonable. Even where it appeared excessive, I couldn't see it caused any problem.

Why the fuss?
  • Options

MJW said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Telegraph
    @Telegraph
    ·
    2h

===

There is polling evidence to back that. Survation conducted a poll across all the councils holding local elections in 2023. When the same people were asked how they would vote at both the local elections and a general election, the Labour lead widened by 7% at the GE. Omnisis did the same and the lead widened by 8%.

Basically, that means that whatever gap Thrasher comes up with in his "NEV" based on voting in local elections alone, you have to add on another 7% or 8% to it.
    Do we really need polling organisations to tell us what our common sense tells us anyway?

Thrasher was just getting some free air time for his firm. He succeeded.

• Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

That's pretty impressive, Big G.

I generally get a speeding ticket every three years, but then I don't live in Wales.

I'm thinking of publishing a Guide To Speed Awareness Centres.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

I generally get a speeding ticket every three years, but then I don't live in Wales.

Is the one in Gloucester as shitty as most of the rest of the city?
  • Options
    An interesting set of remarks from Milei on the Falklands:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce43zv3qln9o

Whatever your thoughts on his other policies, his attitude on these seems pretty sensible.

I wonder though whether it will survive long if he fails in other ways and needs cover. That's normally the way it works in Argentina.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,600

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

Aren’t they mostly online nowadays? Or so I have heard.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,446
    The Tory fight back begins.

I’m sure it will be a roaring success. These sort of things always are.

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1787356124808634791?s=61
  • Options
    Taz said:

With their backs firmly against a wall, they've decided to turn and fight.

With apologies to John Major...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,600
    Labour’s just released attack ad; I think they promise a new one each morning across this week:

https://www.conflix.uk/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

GB News is to left-wingers what Novara Media is to conservatives.
    By conservatives do you mean anyone to the right of Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,156
    IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Shameful comment

In retrospect I rather enjoyed the one i went to. Watching the reaction of other attendees was interesting, too. Very few wanted to co-operate with neighbours, as we were sometimes asked to.
    Seemed to be a sense of shame!

And a good morning to one and all;
    ladies, gentlemen, comrades or colleagues. However, you would describe yourselves.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    Taz said:

"— Sunak facing calls from Tory MPs to put cap on net migration in their manifesto to win back Reform votes"

We broke all our previous promises on immigration, let's make another one, that'll work

Some Conservatives give the impression that they think they have been in opposition for the last 10 years
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,046
    Good morning, everyone.

Mixed feelings as I made three bets this weekend and only the one I actually tipped failed. 16 on Norris to win was nice (made pre-qualifying), but does not count for the records, alas.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

With their backs firmly against a wall, they've decided to turn and fight.

With apologies to John Major...
    Yesterday we stood on the edge of an abyss. Today we took a great step forward.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721
    Andy_JS said:

This was his forecast before they had finished counting. The early results were more favourable to Labour, the later ones more favourable to the Lib Dems. Try colouring in the district and unitary councils - and the amount of gold on the map is astounding.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    kamski said:

Taz said:

"— Sunak facing calls from Tory MPs to put cap on net migration in their manifesto to win back Reform votes"

We broke all our previous promises on immigration, let's make another one, that'll work

Some Conservatives give the impression that they think they have been in opposition for the last 10 years
    "Reducing migration to tens of thousands"

Yep, certain to work.
This discussion has been closed.