Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could the new SNP leader declare UDI? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,419
    Modern cars are not designed to do 20mph in 4th. You have to drive in 3rd which is much more damaging to the environment.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Leon said:

ANECDOTE ALERT

Drinks at a charming pub in Primrose Hill with old lefty friends (one of them quite close to Sir Kir Royale's wife)

Behind us was a table of young (late 20s) Whitehall Civil Servants. They were talking quite loudly of a friend of theirs that works for Suella Braverman. they discussed how their leftwing friend despised all of Braverman's attitudes but felt obliged to do the work she asked, albeit slowly and with reluctance, so it didn't go so well

It was an illustration of the Blob in action

... or Suella's bad recruitment decisions.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,352

Modern cars are not designed to do 20mph in 4th. You have to drive in 3rd which is much more damaging to the environment.

Is that true? I drive an admittedly older car in 30kmh zones in 4th gear without any problems. Also in urban situations the speeding up and slowing down increases fuel consumption - if you are only speeding up and slowing down to/from 20mph you will use less fuel, regardless of whether you managed to get into 4th gear, surely?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,286
    kamski said:

Is that true? I drive an admittedly older car in 30kmh zones in 4th gear without any problems. Also in urban situations the speeding up and slowing down increases fuel consumption - if you are only speeding up and slowing down to/from 20mph you will use less fuel, regardless of whether you managed to get into 4th gear, surely?
    I’ve only travelled in the London restricted area occasionally, but it did seem as though the 20 mile an hour limit in fact made driving more comfortable and reduced congestion.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,008
    edited May 6
    kamski said:

Mine doesn't like it much.

With regard to your other point, doesn't it depend on the zone? In a fully residential street you'll be stopping and starting just as much at 20 as at 30. And, in fact, the speed limit will make no difference as you'll be at a crawl anyway. In a road where there are no parked cars and two lanes - which is the case on several urban roads in Wales with 20mph limits - yes, it does make a difference.

But truthfully, I don't think it was the idea so much as the thoughtless and rather arrogant way it was rolled out (typical of Drakeford). There was limited consultation and no serious effort to think about the real impacts in many parts of Wales or whether other solutions (notably, building better roads) might have been more appropriate.

As we can see on here, there's also been an unfortunate tendency to paint everyone opposed to it (often on perfectly rational grounds) as people who despise road safety and are dangerous drivers, which really, really hasn't helped.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kamski said:

With regard to your other point, doesn't it depend on the zone? In a fully residential street you'll be stopping and starting just as much at 20 as at 30. And, in fact, the speed limit will make no difference as you'll be at a crawl anyway. In a road where there are no parked cars and two lanes - which is the case on several urban roads in Wales with 20mph limits - yes, it does make a difference.

But truthfully, I don't think it was the idea so much as the thoughtless and rather arrogant way it was rolled out (typical of Drakeford). There was limited consultation and no serious effort to think about the real impacts in many parts of Wales or whether other solutions (notably, building better roads) might have been more appropriate.

As we can see on here, there's also been an unfortunate tendency to paint everyone opposed to it as people who despise road safety and are dangerous drivers, which really, really hasn't helped.
    No because accelerating from stop to 30mph takes a LOT more fuel than accelerating to 20MPH
  • Options
    edited May 6
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

As we can see on here, there's also been an unfortunate tendency to paint everyone opposed to it as people who despise road safety and are dangerous drivers, which really, really hasn't helped.
    No because accelerating from stop to 30mph takes a LOT more fuel than accelerating to 20MPH
    It doesn't in my car. The real drainer is from 10mph to about 20 (in second and then third) After that the building momentum helps anyway.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,654
    Why does 20mph create such anguish amongst certain demographics? Same reason that ULEZ does - Labour did it.

The objection to the issue is that they (putting it mildly) don’t like Labour. That’s it. And with now the vast majority not disliking Labour, and actually enjoying being able to breathe and not get run over, the impotent outrage only gets worse.

In a democracy sometimes you have to accept that most people disagree with you…
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,429
    https://news.sky.com/story/uk-considered-using-iraq-to-process-asylum-seekers-in-rwanda-type-deal-leaked-documents-show-13127639

The Govt considered using Iraq instead of Rwanda, and other surprises in chance of leaked documents
  • Options

Why does 20mph create such anguish amongst certain demographics? Same reason that ULEZ does - Labour did it.

The objection to the issue is that they (putting it mildly) don’t like Labour. That’s it. And with now the vast majority not disliking Labour, and actually enjoying being able to breathe and not get run over, the impotent outrage only gets worse.

In a democracy sometimes you have to accept that most people disagree with you…

It doesn't help the way it was rolled out in Wales. As Eabhal him(?)self noted, in sending me an article on the subject it needs to be brought in after careful consultation and with full evaluation and explanation of the benefits. That simply didn't happen.

And it certainly wasn't about road safety. Drakeford doesn't care about that. Otherwise he wouldn't have written that utterly insane article after the Ely e-bike crash defending the criminals and condemning the police.

Rather, it helps feed into a narrative that the politicians in the Bay are a load of arrogant self-righteous twats who don't understand or give a ratfuck about Wales outside the Valleys.

Trouble is, it's a fair summary.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,081

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Incidentally (final word) I don't think it's a coincidence that there's been in practice much less opposition in Gwynedd where the restriction wasn't imposed en bloc (if memory serves, 86 zones were exempted) than in the north-East (just six).

Even so, some of them have been controversial.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kamski said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

It doesn't in my car. The real drainer is from 10mph to about 20 (in second and then third) After that the building momentum helps anyway.
    I believe there is research that shows 20mph limits in urban areas do reduce fuel consumption and pollution. I've seen some showing that for 50kmh to 30kmh for Germany, I'll dig it out if I have time later.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,541
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

This afternoon I drove into Llandudno and half way down the Little Orme the speed changes from 40mph to 20mph

However, the 20 mph signs had been vandalised and my dash did not show the change to 20mph for the first time remaining at 40mph

Now I know the speed is 20mph and adjusted to the now average of 24mph but what is the legal position?

It would appear that you are well aware that it's 20mph. The police can use discretion on a decision to prosecute, but if you're above 20mph and get a fine then you can have no complaints.

8 months till the GE folks. Lots more of this to come. Already had Trans and cyclists.
    You are really out of touch with the situation in Wales over the change and whether you like it or not the Welsh government itself is implementing changes in their advice that will see some roads revert back from September

Furthermore, it is go safe official policy not to prosecute under 26mph and it has nothing to do with the GE as it is Labour in Wales who accept the implementation was badly handled and by September the policy should actually work
    I remember when Conservatives like yourself respected the law of the land.

As we've seen with wilful breaking of 20mph limits in Wales and the vandalism of ULEZ cameras in London, the right have abandoned the rule of law. Shame on them.
    Shameful comment

I respect the law of the land and it is the lawmakers themselves who are changing and amending their own law with widespread approval across the political divide in Wales

Indeed from a practical sense it is impossible to keep to 20mph when most everyone else is driving at 25mph and tailgating or overtaking the few who stay at 20mph

I would just say I have never received a ticket for any driving offence at all since I received my licence in 1961 nor have I ever been prosecuted for anything whatsoever and you should apologise
    That's pretty impressive, Big G.

I generally get a speeding ticket every three years, but then I don't live in Wales.

I'm thinking of publishing a Guide To Speed Awareness Centres.
    Is the one in Gloucester as shitty as most of the rest of the city?
    Tewkesbury, Doc.

And I give it a 5 star rating.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,397
    edited May 6
    kamski said:

Taz said:

The Tory fight back begins.

I’m sure it will be a roaring success. These sort of things always are.

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1787356124808634791?s=61

"— Sunak facing calls from Tory MPs to put cap on net migration in their manifesto to win back Reform votes"

We broke all our previous promises on immigration, let's make another one, that'll work

Some Conservatives give the impression that they think they have been in opposition for the last 10 years
    Yes not so much the nasty party as the nasty and useless party.

"Let them hate me as long as they fear me", could have been Margaret Thatcher´s slogan, but being nasty AND useless is not a recipe for anything but abject failure.
  • Options
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

I believe there is research that shows 20mph limits in urban areas do reduce fuel consumption and pollution. I've seen some showing that for 50kmh to 30kmh for Germany, I'll dig it out if I have time later.
    I have real time fuel consumption on my dashboard. I assure you that whatever your research says, that's the reality.

My car may not be typical. I wouldn't know. But it's not notable for fuel consumption either way so I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,397

Andy_JS said:

Prof Michael Thrasher explains his forecast of Lab 294, Con 242, LD 38, Others 66 based on the local election results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePP_iofypE

If you add in swingback, Reform collapsing, a fantastic economy, Rwanda, the fear of a coalition of chaos, Rishi is looking at a healthy majority. Or it could be utter bollocks.

Do we normally extrapolate a GE from locals?
    Well, yes we do. Though as Peter Snow used to say "Just a bit of fun". I think Michael Thrasher may have dropped the ball a bit though, without Wales and Scotland, his forecast lacks a punchline,

In reading the runes from these locals, as we saw when Labour people began to panic about London, there are so many interpretations that can come absent the data. Tories are entitled to whistle in the dark with made up stuff about a coalition of chaos, but such silly speculation is so much hot air,

The Tories do have a massive amount of hard data on the other side though; The problem is that in the last nine years and five Prime Ministers (and hundreds of ministers), we have the Hard Brexit fiasco, the HS2 fiasco, the shit in the rivers fiasco, the Party gate fiasco, the NHS funding fiasco, the schools funding fiasco, the collapse of local government fiasco, the immigration multiple fiascos, the general Johnson fiasco, the general Truss fiasco, the Sunak fiasco, the universities fiasco, the international development fiasco, the infrastructure fiasco, and dozens of other fuck ups snafus and balls ups. These are all hard facts that the voters are basing their actual voting choices upon.

Even if a few speculative green shoots did appear, it will not off set a record of malevolence, arrogance, and stunning incompetence,

Just getting rid of this crew will feel like a blessed relief. Then SKS has the usual 100 days to set the tone for his time in office. I just hope that he has some seriously radical plan, because steady as she sinks will cut no mustard.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,419
    edited May 6
    Cicero said:

kamski said:

Taz said:

The Tory fight back begins.

I’m sure it will be a roaring success. These sort of things always are.

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1787356124808634791?s=61

"— Sunak facing calls from Tory MPs to put cap on net migration in their manifesto to win back Reform votes"

We broke all our previous promises on immigration, let's make another one, that'll work

Some Conservatives give the impression that they think they have been in opposition for the last 10 years
    Yes not so much the nasty party as the nasty and useless party.

"Let them hate me as long as they fear me", could have been Margaret Thatcher´s slogan, but being nasty AND useless is not a recipe for anything but abject failure.
    “Oderint dum metuant” (“Let them hate, as long as they fear”) - attributed to the tragic poet Lucius Accius (approx 170 to 86 BC) in his play "Atreus", so presumably known to Marcus Tullius @Cicero (106 to 43 BC). A century or two later it became a favoured saying of the Emperor Caligula.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,295
    Funny how the times never reported all the gossip about Boris Johnson's children.
This discussion has been closed.