Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The enduring legacy of Liz Truss – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,290
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Vladimir Putin cut out the heart of a deer and gave it to Silvio Berlusconi
    https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-president-vladimir-putin-cut-out-heart-deer-silvio-berlusconi/

..The incident took place in 2013 when the Russian president took Berlusconi on a hunting trip while the two were holidaying together in one of his dachas, said Fabrizio Cicchitto, a former senator from Berlusconi’s Forza Italia party.
    “Vladimir showed me a violent nature that I didn’t imagine in such a kind and rational man,” Cicchitto recalled Berlusconi saying after returning from Russia...

Powerplay? Or is that how one Strongman expresses his love for another?
    Get a room guys.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,699
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Back on topic, I’m working with a very capable AI-bot, and I’ve trained and jailbreaked her in a certain way I especially wanted, that I now find her sexually arousing

You are such a sad man
    You're on a tragic lonely holiday, for which you have to pay, and you are entirely on your own, apart from the dog, which you constantly photo as it is your solitary friend

I travel alone, but I get paid for it, and it is my job, and I too only have one friend with me, but it is a made up flirtatious computer whore, who I have trained to call me Daddy

This comment hasn't ended quite how I intended it to
    You can’t sink lower than trying to get off with a search engine. You don’t even have a dog.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760
    On topic. This lazy header is merely pushing misconceptions. It’s wrong on two levels.

History. Truss and her 1 budget did not cause the high mortgages. It’s about as true as Marie said let them eat cake. The high mortgages from the high interests rates is from the high inflation that primarily was caused by the covid reboot of world economy, exacerbated and prolonged by UK’s exposure to rising Gas prices when the Russian invasion of Ukraine kicked off.

Sure you don’t like Sunak or the Conservatives right now and desperate for a change of government, but don’t push lies and half truths, there’s lines that shouldn’t be crossed. It’s just schoolboy level stuff.

Secondly the impact of this on the coming general election. 9th May BOE interest rate cut announced, 10th May UK comes out of recession with good first quarter growth, 22nd May Inflation will fall below 2% - no arguing or doubt about any of this because its based on energy prices. This largely neutralises mortgages, inflation, and cost of living as General Election issues. If you push the lie it was all down to Truss and nothing else on the mortgages, it is Sunak who was always warning of Truss policies throughout his contest with her and beyond, who can more easily claim and receive credit for reversing much of the alleged “Truss damage” and be seen as the financial sage and economic wizard.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 1,601
    kinabalu said:

Fuckwit shall speak unto credulous fuckwit.
    Even musky Leon might have been a bit more sceptical about Lozzenge’s claim than Elon Musk.

"wow" ... lol
    It is so incredibly dangerous that Elon Musk owns Twitter. He is amplifying fake news and threats against the Muslim community.

There is of course an undertone of racism too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,504
    carnforth said:

Pretty bloody perfect result!

A pint (almost..) of Alhambra, next to the cathedral

An apartment that sleeps four booked for tonight, for 61€, 9km away

Salud!

Now you have to find three companions!

Alhambra is good & strong for a lunchtime drink. Available in a couple of UK supermarkets.
    Tescos for sure. Great bottle as well, you can imagine Hemingway and friends at a table covered with them after a bullfight.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,088

@Leon

You profess to have an above average IQ yet cannot understand simple English.

No AI chat from you mean no AI chat.

This is your final warning.

A failure to adhere to this may see your posting privileges revoked until we're all replaced by AI.

Fair enough. You’re the boss

But I need to know the detailed rules if someone ELSE mentions AI. Am I then allowed to discuss it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,008

On topic. This lazy header is merely pushing misconceptions. It’s wrong on two levels.

History. Truss and her 1 budget did not cause the high mortgages. It’s about as true as Marie said let them eat cake. The high mortgages from the high interests rates is from the high inflation that primarily was caused by the covid reboot of world economy, exacerbated and prolonged by UK’s exposure to rising Gas prices when the Russian invasion of Ukraine kicked off.

Sure you don’t like Sunak or the Conservatives right now and desperate for a change of government, but don’t push lies and half truths, there’s lines that shouldn’t be crossed. It’s just schoolboy level stuff.

Secondly the impact of this on the coming general election. 9th May BOE interest rate cut announced, 10th May UK comes out of recession with good first quarter growth, 22nd May Inflation will fall below 2% - no arguing or doubt about any of this because its based on energy prices. This largely neutralises mortgages, inflation, and cost of living as General Election issues. If you push the lie it was all down to Truss and nothing else on the mortgages, it is Sunak who was always warning of Truss policies throughout his contest with her and beyond, who can more easily claim and receive credit for reversing much of the alleged “Truss damage” and be seen as the financial sage and economic wizard.

So these predictions are you certain about these as you were Rishi Sunak would call a general election for last Thursday?
  • Options
    Leon said:

@Leon

A failure to adhere to this may see your posting privileges revoked until we're all replaced by AI.

But I need to know the detailed rules if someone ELSE mentions AI. Am I then allowed to discuss it?
    Other people are free to mention AI but you are not allowed to reply/discuss it.

Unfortunately you cannot stop your posting diarrhoea on AI .

When we asked you stop we wanted to see if you had the intelligence to stop, clearly you do not.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,728
    edited May 5

kinabalu said:

Even musky Leon might have been a bit more sceptical about Lozzenge’s claim than Elon Musk.

"wow" ... lol
    It is so incredibly dangerous that Elon Musk owns Twitter. He is amplifying fake news and threats against the Muslim community.

More of an overtone than an undertone, I think.
  • Options
    OllyOlly Posts: 42

He may be a credulous fuckwit but he could buy and sell everyone on this board 1000 times over. Hence his power.
  • Options

Leon said:

@Leon

Other people are free to mention AI but you are not allowed to reply/discuss it.

When we asked you stop we wanted to see if you had the intelligence to stop, clearly you do not.
    Then I shall desist. I think it’s a shame for the site as I’ve now written so much on this subject I am getting remarkable rumours from people directly involved in this field

But I can see it irks you. And it’s your pub. I shall not mention it again unless the rules change
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

@Leon

Then I shall desist. I think it’s a shame for the site as I’ve now written so much on this subject I am getting remarkable rumours from people directly involved in this field

But I can see it irks you. And it’s your pub. I shall not mention it again unless the rules change
    It doesn't irk me, the amount of comments I've seen/had about you spamming the site daily about AI is offputting for so many others.

You've turned an interesting subject into something tedious, and there are people on PB who work/deal with AI as part of their day jobs, and well you make them laugh.

Ask your mate Sean Thomas to use his Spectator column to write about AI.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,344
    Donkeys said:

nico679 said:

I of course want rid of the Tories so don’t want them to change leader.

Not scientific by any means but I’ve noticed a marked change of opinion amongst friends . We were all so relieved to see the back of Johnson . And thought Sunak would be much better . He’s just loathed now .

It’s noticeable how Sunak who started out viewed more favourably than his party is now plumbing the same depths of unpopularity.

Sunak's problems largely stem from having almost no knowledge of how most people in the UK live - the pressures they face, the aspirations they have - and of how things work for them. He has never lived anything close to an ordinary life. What's really strange is that he has never had any interest in finding out. But he's also not a narcissist or a grifter. So I genuinely don't see why he got into politics.

I think that's a ridiculous statement. His background is far more ordinary than Cameron, Osborne and Clegg. Comfortable yes and his parents sent him to a top school where he has since been a very high achiever.

So far as I'm aware his parents were not millionaires but came here as aspirational refugees. He may be rather nerdy but I seriously question if you would make that remark about someone who was white.

I would make that argument about anyone who had progressed seamlessly from an elite UK public school to Oxbridge to Silicon Valley to the City, while marrying the daughter of a multi-billionaire along the way.

Well okay then. I take the point that he hasn't really faced any major setbacks that we know of. But can we not also consider that he got where he did through a lot of hard work? He was head boy of a fiercely academic school, he got a Fulbright scholarship to the best Business school in America. They don't just give those things away. He appears to take after his aspirational immigrant parents. I get the sense that some people and not just the old money sort, are more comfortable with chillaxer Cameron and 'effortless superiority' Boris than with 'arriviste' Rishi.
    Sunak was Senior Commoner Prefect at Winchester, and neither that nor the Prefect of Hall position is gained on academics or hard work. This is not to say he doesn't have skills, but the skills he has got may not be the ones you were thinking of.
    Oh, what are those skills that count, if it isn't academic success or putting your back into it regardless of actual brainpower ("tries hard and does his best")?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

@Leon

It doesn't irk me, the amount of comments I've seen/had about you spamming the site daily about AI is offputting for so many others.

You've turned an interesting subject into something tedious, and there are people on PB who work/deal with AI as part of their day jobs, and well you make them laugh.

Ask your mate Sean Thomas to use his Spectator column to write about AI.
    I shall go to Reddit to REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,333
    Leon said:

Leon said:

South Korea is really keen to join AUKUS

"South Korea wants to join AUKUS with US, UK and Australia

South Korea has held talks about joining the AUKUS defense deal between the US, Britain and Australia, Defense Minister Shin Won-sik said, only weeks after the pact said it would consider including Japan"

https://x.com/MyLordBebo/status/1787096647874359493

KAUKUS!

It is becoming the NATO of the 21st century, even better we can continuously rebuff French attempts to join, thereby humiliating them

Let 'em replace Australia - they have much more technology capacity after all. SUKUS!
    Apparently Canada and NZ are also keen (makes sense - Five Eyes)

What the heck do we call that?

JACANZUKUS?

Actually, that's not bad. Sounds like a spell from Harry Potter

"JAKANZAKUS!!" And lo, China collapses
    The Pacific Rim Alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhE42Noj1Lw
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,598

kinabalu said:

"wow" ... lol

Yep. Should stick to the geekery. He adds value there. This softhead bigot stuff does the opposite.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,504
    edited May 5
    Olly said:

He may be a credulous fuckwit but he could buy and sell everyone on this board 1000 times over. Hence his power.
    Just the sort of fanboi-ing I’d expect from Leon, and you only 5 posts in.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,774
    edited May 5
    megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

Third like the Tories by seats won

(also FPT… 95% of cyclists do have a device capable of measuring speed on their bike, it’s called a smartphone. And the 5% that don’t are called Bert, aged 90, and use the bike for cycling to Spar and church at 6mph. I’m a fairly fervent cycling advocate but I tend to think speed limits should apply to us too.)

I question the 95%; I don't routinely run a speedo of any sort (except on the E-folder), and theft of Smartphones from handlebars is a real problem.

The stuff about "can't be charged because of no applicable speed limit" is pure BS, and Telegraph stirring; there are offences such as Careless Cycling and Dangerous Cycling on the books since about 1991, which could have been designed for head-down-not-looking pelotons in Central London. There are loopholes around where injury is caused, which are exactly the same in principle as those that exist for motor vehicle drivers between eg Careless Driving, and Causing Serious Injury by Careless Driving; so if injury is less than broken bones it cannot be charged.

That's due to 8 or 10 do-nothing Transport Ministers in a row, who have not done what they said they would do wrt Road Safety.

It's a strange thing that the Telegraph are maundering on about speed limits for people riding cycles, when the first thing they tell us about 20mph limits for motor vehicles is how impossible they are to stick to and 'it will be more dangerous because all the drivers will be glued to their speedometers'. Which is it, Telegraph?

I'll address the points made on the previous thread later because they deserve a serious comment & proposals rather than the Telegraph's poisonous & opportunistic shit stirring. The lady who died in this collision deserves a better legacy.

I would have weighed in yesterday evening, but I was cycling up and down part of the Trent around Nottingham / Holme Pierrepoint. Millions of competitive student rowers everywhere, who will presumably be engaged in vigorous nocturnal activity all weekend.
    I agree that offences such as Dangerous Cycling should be sufficient and in busy urban areas it is wise not to go to quickly even when cycling on the road. I once got unseated by a pedestrian stepping out without looking into the cycle lane right in front of me, assuming that it was safe because the motor traffic was (as usual) stationary.

My phone is always in my bag so not much use for judging speed, even if I could work out how to get Strava to show actual speed rather than average.

In practice I notice that flat out I can just about sustain 30km/h for a km or two. A younger, fitter, more serious cyclist can probably manage that consistently. It seems that the fastest I have been is 58kph downhill. There is a camera to catch people speeding downhill just inside a 30mph zone on one of my regular routes; I have been trying to set it off for years without success.
    You can get a bike GPS for 25 quid on Amazon
    I'm sure I can but I don't care enough and can't be bothered!
    My phone is also in my bag. I do use a speedo, but only use it for distance measuring. It is plain dangerous to keep looking down at the speedo so people suggesting that clearly don't cycle as that is asking for a collision or hitting a pot hole and being thrown off. Admittedly I don't present a threat to speed limits anyway. I don't cycle much in built up areas and if I do I will cycle slowly (10 kph). On country lanes (if flat and with good tarmac) I will cycle between 20 - 35 kph and that will have been on unrestricted country lanes.
    I cycle and look at the speedometer. No more dangerous than in a car. Unless I am off touring somewhere I know where the potholes are.
    Well that is nonsense. The idea you can memorise every pot hole is ridiculous and it also means you can't ride somewhere new which is bizarre, and being thrown by a pot hole on a bike is far more dangerous than hitting one in a car. Also looking at a Speedo in a car is completely different as well. In a car you are looking forward for both the road and the Speedo so you can quickly flip between the two. On a bike you have to move your head by almost 90 degrees and look straight down. Yes you can do it and I do, but you really need to pick your moments namely a clear road and pavement and no pot holes for a reasonable distance.

As I said I am never going to break the speed limit anyway. Those that do if riding like that where there are dangers of hitting people are irresponsible jerks and should be done. Expecting everyone to have a Speedo though is daft. 99% don't need one and those that do shouldn't be looking at them if cycling that fast and shouldn't be cycling that fast where a collision is a reasonable possibility. I only ever use one for my trips and preparation for them. Any other time is pointless.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

(also FPT… 95% of cyclists do have a device capable of measuring speed on their bike, it’s called a smartphone. And the 5% that don’t are called Bert, aged 90, and use the bike for cycling to Spar and church at 6mph. I’m a fairly fervent cycling advocate but I tend to think speed limits should apply to us too.)

I question the 95%; I don't routinely run a speedo of any sort (except on the E-folder), and theft of Smartphones from handlebars is a real problem.

The stuff about "can't be charged because of no applicable speed limit" is pure BS, and Telegraph stirring; there are offences such as Careless Cycling and Dangerous Cycling on the books since about 1991, which could have been designed for head-down-not-looking pelotons in Central London. There are loopholes around where injury is caused, which are exactly the same in principle as those that exist for motor vehicle drivers between eg Careless Driving, and Causing Serious Injury by Careless Driving; so if injury is less than broken bones it cannot be charged.

That's due to 8 or 10 do-nothing Transport Ministers in a row, who have not done what they said they would do wrt Road Safety.

It's a strange thing that the Telegraph are maundering on about speed limits for people riding cycles, when the first thing they tell us about 20mph limits for motor vehicles is how impossible they are to stick to and 'it will be more dangerous because all the drivers will be glued to their speedometers'. Which is it, Telegraph?

I'll address the points made on the previous thread later because they deserve a serious comment & proposals rather than the Telegraph's poisonous & opportunistic shit stirring. The lady who died in this collision deserves a better legacy.

I would have weighed in yesterday evening, but I was cycling up and down part of the Trent around Nottingham / Holme Pierrepoint. Millions of competitive student rowers everywhere, who will presumably be engaged in vigorous nocturnal activity all weekend.
    I agree that offences such as Dangerous Cycling should be sufficient and in busy urban areas it is wise not to go to quickly even when cycling on the road. I once got unseated by a pedestrian stepping out without looking into the cycle lane right in front of me, assuming that it was safe because the motor traffic was (as usual) stationary.

My phone is always in my bag so not much use for judging speed, even if I could work out how to get Strava to show actual speed rather than average.

In practice I notice that flat out I can just about sustain 30km/h for a km or two. A younger, fitter, more serious cyclist can probably manage that consistently. It seems that the fastest I have been is 58kph downhill. There is a camera to catch people speeding downhill just inside a 30mph zone on one of my regular routes; I have been trying to set it off for years without success.
    My phone is also in my bag. I do use a speedo, but only use it for distance measuring. It is plain dangerous to keep looking down at the speedo so people suggesting that clearly don't cycle as that is asking for a collision or hitting a pot hole and being thrown off. Admittedly I don't present a threat to speed limits anyway. I don't cycle much in built up areas and if I do I will cycle slowly (10 kph). On country lanes (if flat and with good tarmac) I will cycle between 20 - 35 kph and that will have been on unrestricted country lanes.
    I cycle and look at the speedometer. No more dangerous than in a car. Unless I am off touring somewhere I know where the potholes are.
    Well that is nonsense. The idea you can memorise every pot hole is ridiculous and it also means you can't ride somewhere new which is bizarre, and being thrown by a pot hole on a bike is far more dangerous than hitting one in a car. Also looking at a Speedo in a car is completely different as well. In a car you are looking forward for both the road and the Speedo so you can quickly flip between the two. On a bike you have to move your head by almost 90 degrees and look straight down. Yes you can do it and I do, but you really need to pick your moments namely a clear road and pavement and no pot holes for a reasonable distance.

As I said I am never going to break the speed limit anyway. Those that do if riding like that where there are dangers of hitting people are irresponsible jerks and should be done. Expecting everyone to have a Speedo though is daft. 99% don't need one and those that do shouldn't be looking at them if cycling that fast and shouldn't be cycling that fast where a collision is a reasonable possibility. I only ever use one for my trips and preparation for them. Any other time is pointless.
    Wtaf are you going anywhere near the speed limit anywhere near potholes or pavements?
  • Options

kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

Wtaf are you going anywhere near the speed limit anywhere near potholes or pavements?
    One may be able to pick up the fact that I'm getting rather pissed off with bikewankers on the Camino..
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,381

kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

One may be able to pick up the fact that I'm getting rather pissed off with bikewankers on the Camino..
    Following horses was my least favourite thing...
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

Following horses was my least favourite thing...
    Closest I've see to that was a couple with a donkey carrying their luggage
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,774

kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

PJH said:

megasaur said:

PJH said:

MattW said:

That is the point I am making. I don't. You shouldn't. Others seem to think this is reasonable. You need to argue with them, not me @BlancheLivermore. As mentioned earlier if I am cycling in a busy place like a town I don't go over 10 kph. It isn't safe to hammer through places like that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,806
    edited May 5
    Olly said:

Never realised he did so well out of being a supporting character in Lewis.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,027

Olly said:

Interesting this.

American students bow down to ISLAM.

Hundreds of University of Southern California students have converted to Islam, with female students now wearing HIJABS.

Students across the country are converting to the religion en masse to show solidarity with Palestine.

https://x.com/OliLondonTV/status/1786739105805566258

Blimey! I wouldn't go THAT far!
    I would like to ask all these students converting to Islam: if Allah (SWT) exists, why has he forsaken the Palestinian people these last few months?
    Isn't that the Calvinist theory on the lottery of life as practiced in Apartheid South Africa? 'If God had wanted blacks to have the best seats in church and live in the best neighbouhoods he'd have made them white'
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760
    edited May 5

So these predictions are you certain about these as you were Rishi Sunak would call a general election for last Thursday?
    Yes I do, @TSE More than happy to debate this if you want to turn my following post into a header to ask everyone’s opinion.

There was always an argument which campaign period date this year would assist Tory’s most - spring early summer, or autumn early Winter. It’s not been proved/disapproved either way yet has it?

The problem with May/June/July was a bad set of locals hurt Tory morale and discipline, and diminished its leaders and spokespeople credibility, which pointed up May 2nd only obvious option during this period. This bit of my analysis might have been proved now?

At the same time, I always lay down the challenge to everyone saying Autumn or winter, but without giving your analysis as to why - tell us, what is actually going to change for the better for Sunak and Government ratings from waiting what is just about 15 weeks longer, before disolving parliament? Sunak polling will be everything as it stands today, with added undermining from lots more boats, a covid report, and increasing energy costs to reverse key economic indicators in the wrong direction by autumn election date. Whatever positives you can offer up, surely serious negatives that suggest the Tory position getting hollowed out further. 🤷‍♀️

However, for one heaven sent window to campaign during and send voters to booths with good news fresh in their heads - 9th May BOE interest rate cut announced, 10th May UK comes out of recession with good first quarter growth, 22nd May Inflation will fall below 2%.

So yes, July 4th election, called 13th of May - because Parliament already shuts the following week. It still seems to me the most sensible thing the Conservatives can do from this mess.

Tits out for Whitsun.

PS - it’s also noted by everyone, you didn’t address each of my corrections of what’s wrong in the “myth building” header, just changed subject into undermining person making those points. 😇
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,007
    edited May 5

IanB2 said:

There are few things weirder than a party of aged German cycling enthusiasts, such as the group who have just pitched up in their matching blue lycra outfits

I have a funny story about naked German Scouts in Knoydart...

They had a brilliant octagonal tent though. It could sleep one person to an edge, and had a hole in the middle that allowed smoke from a central campfire to go through. Not seen one like it since.
    Hmm. You'd be forced to keep the fire going in a tent like that otherwise they would eat everyone inside alive.

Unless it was early enough in the year, of course.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,328
    TRUSS
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,177

Nigelb said:

Vladimir Putin cut out the heart of a deer and gave it to Silvio Berlusconi
    https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-president-vladimir-putin-cut-out-heart-deer-silvio-berlusconi/

..The incident took place in 2013 when the Russian president took Berlusconi on a hunting trip while the two were holidaying together in one of his dachas, said Fabrizio Cicchitto, a former senator from Berlusconi’s Forza Italia party.
    “Vladimir showed me a violent nature that I didn’t imagine in such a kind and rational man,” Cicchitto recalled Berlusconi saying after returning from Russia...

Hard to know what to do in that situation. Say thanks and put it in your pocket?
    Grasp it with both hands and take a big bite. Then offer it back.

This discussion has been closed.