Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

About that inevitable Labour landslide – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,018

Senior Labour sources quoted as saying Khan will be re-elected “definitely, no question” on Newsnight.

They don't know that either!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,104
    Anything that keeps Sunak in place is good for Labour . The last thing they want is Penny coming in .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    nico679 said:

Anything that keeps Sunak in place is good for Labour . The last thing they want is Penny coming in .

Because failing to get through the Tory leadership contests and not being entrusted with a Senior Cabinet position since 2019 (Leader of the House is basically to do procedural stuff for real Cabinet Ministers) means she is an electoral powerhouse for the party?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,004

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

SED detractors please explain?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Senior Labour sources quoted as saying Khan will be re-elected “definitely, no question” on Newsnight.

They’re as bad as the rest. Unless they have data proving that there was some decent amount of tactical voting then they should muzzle it and let the votes be counted .
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,343

Where did the notion that Khan was going to lose actually come from? I saw few tweets on here by people with six followers. Were there any more robust sources?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    nico679 said:

I honestly don’t think it would make a difference. No one is listening to the Tories now, and having yet another replaced PM would make them an even bigger laughing stock.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking is now a Tory free zone. I lived there for many years from the age of 9 and it was always solid Tory. The idea that there is not a single one left is bewildering.

Woking by name...
    I always thought Woking was a diminutive of Wokingham, but apparently they are 2 different places!
    Woking is in Surrey, not too far from London, Wokingham is in Berkshire, close to Reading.
    No rail enthusiast would ever confuse the two! Nor would anyone interested in the history of cremation.

Another thing Woking is known for is having a large population of Sicilian descent.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited May 3

You don't get any blowback for teasing an underperformance that never materialises. I hope they had a good time with it all, regardless of outcome.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    nico679 said:

Really?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkx8LCCCNY
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    TimS said:

LDs break the 500 seat barrier!

Now 505 vs 479.

But only 5 councils left to announce so Conservative losses unlikely to hit 500. Lib Dems have now significantly outperformed and Greens have had a stellar set of results.

But it’s Tice with his 2 seats doing the media interview rounds.
    This is a similar pattern to last year. Good result for Lib Dems and Greens, decent for Labour and awful for Conservatives.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    LE24 results for Spen Valley constituency (changes wrt LE23):

Con 35.1% (-1.3)
    Lab 31.6 (-5.0)
    LD 16.3 (-1.6)
    Green 7.8 (+0.6)
    Oth 9.2 (+7.3)

Here an Independent gain from Labour in the one Muslim heavy ward is decisive. Labour drop 822 votes in the ward and Conservatives gain a plurality of 792 across the constituency, even though other wards tightened.

A GE will have different dynamics, but Labour's job in Spen Valley looks a little harder today.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Explain what?

Labour 1,026 seats
    Green Tories 159 seats
    Explain why SKS is on target for NOM

Explain why SKS lost over 320 seats in 2021 the last time these seats were contested compared to the worst ever Lab leaders performance

Explain why SKS Tories are only gaining half of the seats he lost in 2021

Explain why SKS is over 20 points ahead in fictional polls but when real people vote he isn't

Explain why Lab on these results are only 2 points better off than in 2019 and nowhere near the 40% of 2017

Explain how the Greens are Tories. Surely if they were Tory Sunil who always votes Tory isn't voting for them!!
  • Options
    TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Explain what why he is predicted to get a NOM

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
  • Options

nico679 said:

Really?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkx8LCCCNY
    The vast majority of the public wouldn’t have seen that . She looks good , her hair is great and she looks like she can carry a tin of beans without needing a trolley . Sunak is a drag on the Tories , his height isn’t the issue , he just looks like a wimp and his over the top attempts to smile and look bubbly are grating . Starmer at least looks like he could put up shelves and has great hair.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,579
    Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking is now a Tory free zone. I lived there for many years from the age of 9 and it was always solid Tory. The idea that there is not a single one left is bewildering.

Woking by name...
    I always thought Woking was a diminutive of Wokingham, but apparently they are 2 different places!
    Woking is in Surrey, not too far from London, Wokingham is in Berkshire, close to Reading.
    No rail enthusiast would ever confuse the two! Nor would anyone interested in the history of cremation.

Another thing Woking is known for is having a large population of Sicilian descent.
    Ooh, a fellow pyrophile! But can you name the second crematorium?

Actually I'm not THAT interested in crematoria. But due to a strange set of circumstances a decade or so back I do know more than most people about the industry.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,185
    edited May 3

Andy_JS said:

These projections from BBC and Sky are pretty weird, not matching up with the opinion polls at all. 😕

They never do. Mostly because a lot of the minor parties will have their vote squeezed back to one of the big two for the general.

Based on history, a 9% PNV lead for Labour is probably high teens in GE polling. Lower than some polls, but not crazily so.

This is known which is why that Sky News projection was GIGO.
    Problem is neither the opinion polls nor the TV projections seem like plausible real-world outcomes. I don't believe the polls that say Labour will win a 200 seat majority, and I don't think they'll be 30 seats short either as things stand. It's going to be somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    edited May 3

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    If Sir Ed Davey manages to get NOM I’ll be very pleased.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    edited May 3
    Andy_JS said:

These projections from BBC and Sky are pretty weird, not matching up with the opinion polls at all. 😕

The LDs are much higher than their opinion poll rating in the Locals voteshare, mainly at Labour expense and Reform much lower than their opinion poll rating in the Locals voteshare, mainly to the Tories' benefit, explains it.

So if some voters who are fed up of the Tories but wary of a big Labour majority go LD and Sunak squeezes Reform it could yet be a close general election, albeit with Labour still likely ahead
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking by name...

Actually I'm not THAT interested in crematoria. But due to a strange set of circumstances a decade or so back I do know more than most people about the industry.
    Was it the one in Golders Green?
  • Options
    TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    Oh SKS is shite SED slightly less shite and a good LE2024 for him
  • Options

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,934
    Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking by name...

Surrey is different from Berkshire?

Surrey has the Dorks, and Berkshire has the Berks.

But more importantly, they are both South of Watford.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    BJO’s stint as producer for the BBC local elections coverage is bearing fruit:

https://x.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1786518916593856537?s=46
    https://x.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1786518658698633512?s=46

Next challenge, once they’ve finished cataloguing the terrible Labour performance, is to get them to actually notice the Green Party.
  • Options

gabyhinsliff
    @gabyhinsliff
    ·
    11m
    The correlation between ‘going slightly mad reading London turnout data’ and ‘having been up half the night’ feels quite strong on election Twitter

We all know that feeling.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    dr_spyn said:

If Sadiq Khan has lost to Susan Hall, expect claims for coffee damaged laptops.

If Hall beats Khan, she may even get a call from Trump Tower to congratulate her. I think it unlikely though
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,803

Where did the notion that Khan was going to lose actually come from? I saw few tweets on here by people with six followers. Were there any more robust sources?
    Not really. Turnout and some spinning
  • Options
    MattW said:

Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking by name...

Which one, the gap near Daventry or the London suburb? Key distinction.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,579
    Donkeys said:

Cookie said:

Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking by name...

Was it the one in Golders Green?
    Good effort. But I think it was Manchester.
    Some posters may be unsurprused about me sharing this nugget.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Not really. Turnout and some spinning
    She is is with an outside shot on turnout figures 'For the strongly Conservative territory of Bexley and Bromley it is 48.38 per cent. Last time it was 44 per cent. For the strongly Labour territory of City and East (which covers Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Newham, Tower Hamlets) it was 31.17 per cent. Last time it was 35 per cent. In 2021 Sadiq Khan defeated Shaun Bailey by less than five per cent on first preferences.'
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/05/03/local-elections-live-blog-labour-gain-redditch-hartlepool-thurrock-and-rushmoor-but-the-conservatives-hold-on-in-harlow/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.
    Yes as I have been saying since "Israel has that right" to cut off food and water.

SKS fans been in denial.

Last time Corbyn fought these seat he got 1121 seats.

SKS 20+ points ahead in the polls falling short of Labour's worst ever leader.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The LDs are much higher than their opinion poll rating in the Locals voteshare, mainly at Labour expense and Reform much lower than their opinion poll rating in the Locals voteshare, mainly to the Tories' benefit, explains it.

So if some voters who are fed up of the Tories but wary of a big Labour majority go LD and Sunak squeezes Reform it could yet be a close general election, albeit with Labour still likely ahead
    Yeah, it’s not going to be a close election. It might be a touch closer than the wilder opinion polls but the Government is still in for a tonking.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

John Gray of the New Statesman was in NYC on the day after Trump won in 2016 and reported seeing people walking around in a daze, unable to process what had happened. The same thing could happen in Islington tomorrow if Hall wins.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    MattW said:

Donkeys said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Woking by name...

They are very different. You wouldn't get Leith Hill or Box Hill in Berkshire, nor the Devil's Punch Bowl or the amazing Frensham Great Pond. And I can't think of anywhere Readingy in Surrey.

Surrey is England's most wooded county.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.
    Yes as I have been saying since "Israel has that right" to cut off food and water.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
  • Options
    Apologies if it is a repeat.

Lib Dems have control of Tunbridge Wells, and the Conservatives are wiped out in Cheltenham.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    Boring but factually correct that SKS is doing worse in seats than the 1152 seats Corbyn got in same set of seats

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_United_Kingdom_local_elections

SKS is not the Messiah he is just a very naughty (pro genocide) boy
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076
    edited May 3

A shockingly bad day for Labour.
    It was obvious from the outset that Starmer's abysmal performance as Prime Minister would drag the party down.
    On that note, I'm off to bed, whisky having been consumed.

Zero gains in Scotland either, which will be crucial in the GE.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    You are a Centrist in denial
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,686

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    Welcome back!
  • Options
    TimS said:

BJO’s stint as producer for the BBC local elections coverage is bearing fruit:

https://x.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1786518916593856537?s=46
    https://x.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1786518658698633512?s=46

Next challenge, once they’ve finished cataloguing the terrible Labour performance, is to get them to actually notice the Green Party.

Well they are the party with the biggest percentage increase in votes.

Although they too are behind the phenomenal performance of Independent Socialists who's results are off the scale thanks to Gaza
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    I genuinely thought SED was a reference to the Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands. I thought it was a bit strange, but "Sir Ed Davey" obviously hasn't really registered in my consciousness.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    Not compared to SKS though

He is the master of boring.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 3

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

Sir Keir’s refusal to retract his approval for Israel having the right to cut off food and water, followed by this week’s faux outrage at the charge that he did actually say what he said, and didn’t correct it when offered the chance, was his lowest moment yet. Truly a snake
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    Boring but factually correct that SKS is doing worse in seats than the 1152 seats Corbyn got in same set of seats

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_United_Kingdom_local_elections

SKS is not the Messiah he is just a very naughty (pro genocide) boy

They’re not the same set of seats! It was a far broader election in 2017. GB wide.

• Options
    OT

Trump Assistant (and later White House Comms Director) Hope Hicks testifying in NY Court about Trump giving instructions wrt payments to women he had sex / affairs with.

I think this will take some time to be unpacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/may/03/trump-hush-money-trial-forensic-analysis-testimony-latest-updates
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,686

I have gone back to have a look. 🔍

This one from electionmaps kicked it off
    https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1786140409539792975?s=46
    The next post of note Scottnpaste
    “CCHQ apparently chipper tonight, I’m told.
    As the polls close, they’re “utterly convinced” Susan Hall has won London, whilst Andy Street keeping his job in the West Midlands is on a “knife edge”.
    *strong health warning but the former would be a monumental upset.”
    Everyone is making a joke of it and don’t believe a word of it in a great many of following posts.
    The next thing of note, still May 2nd is Anabob pointing out to us
    “Hall into 13.5 on BX”
    A little later Foxy posts this
    Another CCHQ source gets in touch to dispute any claim that they are “chipper”.
    They are also much more cautious about the London mayoral result.
    https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1786150982579065118?t=qmpusT9V8nSTr40iCCp7Xg&s=
    And Andy posts this
    Is this spin?
    "George Eaton
    @georgeeaton
    Labour aide says they expect London to be “very, very close”.
    I looked at how Sadiq Khan could lose back in March."
    https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1786150540222562815

.still no one getting upset or over excited and Anabob posts
    Anabobazina said:
    Hall sliding back out towards 17 now.

Quite a while later Andy accuses Pete of making Hall’s win sound like foregone conclusion, and everyone’s getting bit overheated.
    MJW talks about the re-emergence of the “ Johnson Doughnut”
    At 12:01 I post
    “I’m taking the opposite line to you MexPete! I’m saying neither she has definitely won, nor would it be a seismic event.”

Everyone then seems to be very rude to one another.
    So just normal PB.
    At 12:17 I’m ordered buy Anabob to “put up or shut up” and I reply “She’s not going to win. It was a mischievous rumour. Trump Hall sums her up - 2 PMQ questions and the Guardian report yesterday about her dealings with vile WhatsApps needs to wake everyone up, Tory as well as Labour.
    Khans winning margin could be in single figures, if both camps hyping it like this, but likely teens we both agree?”

12:24 Andy JS posts
    “Politics UK
    @PolitlcsUK
    Susan Hall's core inner circle also believe she has won"
    https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1786154035944259826

But no one seems to mention it again until CR at nearly 4.50.

I think it’s all PBers who piled on after Dawn who talked this thing up.
    Laura K was still doing it this evening, we can add.
  • Options
    Loving the results in Luke Akehursts toxic backyard

Labour lose 7 seats all to Socialists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/england/councils/E07000178
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,519

Andy_JS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Gaza.

SKS fans been in denial.

You are so boring.
    Not compared to SKS though

He is the master of boring.
    So winners and losers as far as BJO is concerned?

Winners
    Sunak
    Houchen
    Street
    Hall
    Greens
    LDs
    Labour (but only in Blackpool South)
    Gorgeous
    Corbyn by default CF 2017

Losers
    Khan
    Starmer
    Conservatives
    Labour (Nationally, except in Blackpool South)
    Reform

Am I right?
  • Options
    Hmmm. So pre supper final thought.

Sadiq Khan is 53.

If we wins a third term as London Mayor, what are his prospects for winning a fourth term?

(My take is that afaics the evidence is now coming through strongly to support the success of his policies eg emissions reductions, so the Susan Hall type lobby will wither on the vine if he wins this term.)
  • Options
    edited May 3

Have the 4 new councillors from the Independent Oxford Alliance who took seats from Labour said they were socialists? For that matter, have the two Greens or Independent candidate Mohammed Azad?
  • Options
    "Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    I may regret tweeting this, but I think Sadiq Khan will make it.

Too much of a polling error for Susan Hall to win. That said, it'll be closer than polls suggested.

But Sadiq was undoubtedly hurt by younger and minority voters being disillusioned with Labour.
    10:08 PM · May 3, 2024"

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1786503134694539291
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

ToryJohnOwls
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905
    Donkeys said:

Have the 4 new councillors from the Independent Oxford Alliance who took seats from Labour said they were socialists? For that matter, have the two Greens or Independent candidate Mohammed Azad?
    Spot on. The IOA are certainly not socialists, they’re closer to Reform than anything. The Greens possibly might be!
  • Options
    edited May 3
    MattW said:

Lib Dems have control of Tunbridge Wells, and the Conservatives are wiped out in Cheltenham.

Yes the spa towns aren't looking good for the Tories and heading yellow (though the Conservatives held most of the rural wards around Tunbridge Wells with a smattering of Independents even if they lost the town itself)
  • Options
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    MattW said:

Hmmm. So pre supper final thought.

Sadiq Khan is 53.

If we wins a third term as London Mayor, what are his prospects for winning a fourth term?

(My take is that afaics the evidence is now coming through strongly to support the success of his policies eg emissions reductions, so the Susan Hall type lobby will wither on the vine if he wins this term.)

As a floating voter I don't like anyone doing four terms in such a leadership role. Just feels stale, wrong and open to laziness and potential corruption.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    Pro_Rata said:

Well, I expected to go through Kirklees (before branching out elsewhere) looking at the state of Lab-Con marginals.

But I'm going to start with the safe Labour seats that I expected to ignore.

Changes are on the 2023 local round.

LE results for Huddersfield constituency
    (2024 boundaries):

Labour: 33.8% (-11.7)
    Green 31.9 (+10.5)
    Con 15.6 (-3.1)
    LD 12.8 (-0.4)
    Others 6.0 (+4.9)

There is a green base anyway, but serious pro green swings in 2 wards brought Green to near parity. They gained one ward to hold two, and lost to Labour by 1% in a ward where another independent split the pro-Palestine vote, accounting for 3.6% of the constituency vote alone and also preventing a Green plurality.

Can they establish themselves as contenders at parliamentary level?

Pro_Rata said:

Well, I expected to go through Kirklees (before branching out elsewhere) looking at the state of Lab-Con marginals.

But I'm going to start with the safe Labour seats that I expected to ignore.

Changes are on the 2023 local round.

LE results for Huddersfield constituency
    (2024 boundaries):

Labour: 33.8% (-11.7)
    Green 31.9 (+10.5)
    Con 15.6 (-3.1)
    LD 12.8 (-0.4)
    Others 6.0 (+4.9)

There is a green base anyway, but serious pro green swings in 2 wards brought Green to near parity. They gained one ward to hold two, and lost to Labour by 1% in a ward where another independent split the pro-Palestine vote, accounting for 3.6% of the constituency vote alone and also preventing a Green plurality.

Can they establish themselves as contenders at parliamentary level?

NO.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,267

Twitter data on turnout in London. Post:

https://x.com/marwandata/status/1786445630308561082
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,717
    kamski said:

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    I genuinely thought SED was a reference to the Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands. I thought it was a bit strange, but "Sir Ed Davey" obviously hasn't really registered in my consciousness.
    Same here, apart from the German thing. Until it was spelled out in a later post, I could not work out who was meant by SED. Now, the LibDems have gained a hatful of councillors so perhaps it does not matter, especially if they can regain third party status in the next House of Commons, but surely the party establishment must be looking around for its next star performer.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,322
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Yes the spa towns aren't looking good for the Tories and heading yellow (though the Conservatives held most of the rural wards around Tunbridge Wells with a smattering of Independents even if they lost the town itself)
    Lib Dems wiping out the Tories on Cheltenham and becoming largest party in the City of Gloucester comes after big gains last year in the Cotswolds. Gloucestershire has really swung away from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    Morning all.

I don’t think Labour will mind the fairly bonkers Sky News NEV reporting. Not Michael Thrasher’s greatest moment but it doesn’t help them if people think it’s a foregone conclusion, although I note that no-one has ever said a Labour landslide is ‘inevitable’, not even me.

Andy Street may get in and, if so, we should note that both he and Ben Houchen campaigned as virtually independents, something that won’t help the Conservatives at the GE. These were terrible results for the tories who are on course for a hammering at the General Election.

Meanwhile I’m expecting a comfortable win for Sadiq Khan,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sky NEV now 35% v 26%. They had a 7% margin earlier, so now updated to align with BBC.

That's not going to be the NEV at a GE though. Take 5% off LD and add to Lab, and a couple of percent off Other and add to Con.

Yes it’s not been the finest moment from Sky News but as I say I don’t think Labour should mind at all. It won’t help them if everyone thinks a victory is inevitable.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Indeed. That seems to be the tabloid message this morning.

Changing leader now would be pretty crazy and Labour will be very happy to face off against Sunak.

I think Penny may lose her seat.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Post Covid DFLs have refreshed the demographics in a lot of these towns. So it’s tricky to read such a result and extrapolate nationwide.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

[…]. So it’s tricky to read such a result and extrapolate nationwide.
    That really should be the caveat for most of these local results. They give a broad picture, one which is (equally broadly) in line with national opinion polls, but at local level there are so many variables.

One thing we should probably pay great attention to, and which could be the subject of some threads, is the propensity for tactical voting: especially of the anti-tory variety. People are much more clued up these days. It could be a significant factor.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Foxy said:

I suspect that they do, now
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

We are in the period of the phoney war. War has been declared, a massive barrage of shelling with the red scourge conquering new places. But the big battle lies ahead, and the armchair generals are poking a stick at the ashes and looking through their tinted/blinkered specs looking for guidance.

I think the Sunak presser in Sheffield Teesside is the moment of the most shark-jumping for the blues. A win which - combined with results elsewhere - demonstrates that they will be obliterated once the fighting starts properly. And yet for now, the mood in team Sunak is WE'RE ALRIGHT! WE'RE ALRIGHT!

If the Hall win is just a confection from CCHQ it has been quite clever as the Blackpool by election the Metro Mayors and the X00 lost Councillors has been lost in the fog of Khan's assumed defeat.

Rabbit and AndyJS have done their bit on here too.
    Can we not attack other posters integrity please?

Rabbit and AndyJS were seeking value as punter, just like everyone else.
    Lots and lots of ramping goes on here so one would never know.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

If Hall beats Khan, she may even get a call from Trump Tower to congratulate her. I think it unlikely though
    One day we will look back on the GHD (Great Hall Delusion), that brief time when people thought “If Hall beats Khan…” was a plausible notion.
    There’s something about the votes being cast that makes people consider possibilities that, a few days earlier without a single vote in the box, they would have dismissed as obvious nonsense. Nevertheless for anyone able to trade the trends I suspect it was a profitable experience.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

One day we will look back on the GHD (Great Hall Delusion), that brief time when people thought “If Hall beats Khan…” was a plausible notion.
    Indeed
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,717
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Post Covid DFLs have refreshed the demographics in a lot of these towns. So it’s tricky to read such a result and extrapolate nationwide.
    What is a post-Covid DFL (or any DFL)?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Lib Dems wiping out the Tories on Cheltenham and becoming largest party in the City of Gloucester comes after big gains last year in the Cotswolds. Gloucestershire has really swung away from the Conservatives.
    To come away with a hundred gains when they’re still lucky to make 10% in the national VI will be regarded as a successful night, I think, especially as Labour is only on +170 despite a national VI of mid-40%s. That the government is deeply unpopular and that Labour is heading for a majority are both clear, but the third factor that there is little enthusiasm for Labour’s offering and people are very willing to make other choices when they are competitive, bodes well for the GE. Ditto for the Greens.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

We are in the period of the phoney war. War has been declared, a massive barrage of shelling with the red scourge conquering new places. But the big battle lies ahead, and the armchair generals are poking a stick at the ashes and looking through their tinted/blinkered specs looking for guidance.

I think the Sunak presser in Sheffield Teesside is the moment of the most shark-jumping for the blues. A win which - combined with results elsewhere - demonstrates that they will be obliterated once the fighting starts properly. And yet for now, the mood in team Sunak is WE'RE ALRIGHT! WE'RE ALRIGHT!

If the Hall win is just a confection from CCHQ it has been quite clever as the Blackpool by election the Metro Mayors and the X00 lost Councillors has been lost in the fog of Khan's assumed defeat.

I rarely agree with you, or the way you put things, but on this I do.

If people have exposed themselves to losses you can see why they might be tempted to fuel (fanciful) rumours. The delay between voting and counting doesn’t help.

If this all began with a CCHQ staffer getting excited, I’m guessing it was a junior worker. Anyone who has ever worked on an election (I have once at local level) will know how easy it is to believe you’re on course to win based on getting your vote out. You can sit inside campaign HQ and become very excited: it’s the ultimate echo chamber.
  • Options
    It’s Saturday morning and there are still a stack of results awaited. Yet more American influence on our politics is most disappointing.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

I rarely agree with you, or the way you put things, but on this I do.

If people have exposed themselves to losses you can see why they might be tempted to fuel (fanciful) rumours. The delay between voting and counting doesn’t help.

If this all began with a CCHQ staffer getting excited, I’m guessing it was a junior worker. Anyone who has ever worked on an election (I have once at local level) will know how easy it is to believe you’re on course to win based on getting your vote out. You can sit inside campaign HQ and become very excited: it’s the ultimate echo chamber.
    It used to be called candidateitis - the candidate would meet a couple of people in the high street who said some nice things, and rush back convinced they were onto a landslide. Sometimes the agent would have to take them aside into a quiet room, and have a word.
  • Options
    edited May 4

Situation:

(1) SkyBet paid out on Houchen bet at 2/7
    (2) Hills bet at 7/4 on Street (now all greened up)
    (3) Exchange Khan / Hall - profit either way now, but balance on Hall in 3 figures
    (4) Ladbrokes Khan bet share in 35-40% range - odds on

I stand to make over £400 profit at the moment

Well done; sensible to have laid off on Hall. In the end it wasn’t a value bet, but a trading bet.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244

kamski said:

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    Same here, apart from the German thing. Until it was spelled out in a later post, I could not work out who was meant by SED. Now, the LibDems have gained a hatful of councillors so perhaps it does not matter, especially if they can regain third party status in the next House of Commons, but surely the party establishment must be looking around for its next star performer.
    The third party has to have a leader with charisma. Kennedy had it, Ashdown had it, even Cable, Clegg and Farron had it a tiny bit. But Swinson and Davey not so much.

There’s an opportunity for the LibDems but I’m not convinced Davey is the one to exploit it fully.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,393
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Trouble in the Spa towns, Hyufd? Must be something in the water!

How's Epping? Hear you had a lot of votes.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712

Situation:

(3) Exchange Khan / Hall - profit either way now, but balance on Hall in 3 figures

That's brilliant, always good to hear updates on successful trades.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited May 4
    IanB2 said:

It’s Saturday morning and there are still a stack of results awaited. Yet more American influence on our politics is most disappointing.

In most US elections (2020 being the exception). the winner is normally known by breakfast time in the UK the next day. That said, not sure why eg London counting Saturday and not Friday - anyone know why?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,579
    IanB2 said:

Situation:

Well done; sensible to have laid off on Hall. In the end it wasn’t a value bet, but a trading bet.
    I'm glad you added the 'off.'
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,393
    IanB2 said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

To come away with a hundred gains when they’re still lucky to make 10% in the national VI will be regarded as a successful night, I think, especially as Labour is only on +170 despite a national VI of mid-40%s. That the government is deeply unpopular and that Labour is heading for a majority are both clear, but the third factor that there is little enthusiasm for Labour’s offering and people are very willing to make other choices when they are competitive, bodes well for the GE. Ditto for the Greens.
    It was actually a very good night for the LDs and Greens, which has passed under the radar a bit.

They should do fine at the GE too, but probably not as well as this result. GEs are different and people are electing a Government. I'd guess LDs on 40 seats, and Greens on two.

Labour majority still nailed on. Tories? I'd say about 150, which wouldn't be too bad in the circumstances.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,451
    Morning all! Its a fascinating election cycle. Interesting how certain people (BJO being high on the list) cling to whatever specially selected facts to make their case whilst ignoring all of the other facts.

The only way for Tories to win is to not be Tories. Houchen being front and centre of this strategy. And even then, his win means defeat for literally every Tory MP in the region.

How will Tory MPs pull off the same trick when it comes to the GE...?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,414
    IanB2 said:

At least we can hope not to see a mob of disappointed Hallites storming City Hall.

Actually..
  • Options
    edited May 4

Situation:

Well done.

I didn't bet much on these races. A fiver on Khan 35-40% band at 22/1 and similar on Lab in the WM at 8/1.

My losses will crystallise today on the Championship, but I will enjoy seeing my team lift another trophy. Leicester now have the record for most 2nd teir wins. When LCFC were still ahead but playing poorly I laid a win fairly heavily so will lose about £100 in insurance bets. It would have come in if both Ipswich and Leeds hadn't suddenly also starting to drop points.

Overall yesterday's results look good from a non-betting perspective. Tories took a pounding but not apocalyptic, Lab LD and Green all did well, and it looks as if Lab have taken the message on board not to be so pro-war on Gaza. The remaining mayoral races could go either way. Street is the acceptable face of Toryism, so OK, and in the unlikely event of Hall winning she is a useful reminder for Lab voters not to get too complacent.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    IanB2 said:

Situation:

Thanks. The two aren't mutually exclusive. A value bet provides opportunities for trading, which is why it's value.

I still await to see with interest how close it is later today.
  • Options

Situation:

That's brilliant, always good to hear updates on successful trades.
    I should caveat that depends on Khan landing in that sweet spot.

If he doesn't then the profit drops to just sub £200, because i heavily bet that band, so the exact vote % is quite important for me today.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,204
    IanB2 said:

Situation:

Um hold on. A "value bet" is a bet made on the assumption that the odds will change in your favour. It becomes a "trading bet" if it is traded out before the results are known. If ridden all the way down to the result and it loses, then it becomes a "value loser". Or have I got this wrong?
  • Options
    edited May 4

kamski said:

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

TimS said:

On Topic

SKS fans please explain

Because he is shite.

Hope that helps
    The third party has to have a leader with charisma. Kennedy had it, Ashdown had it, even Cable, Clegg and Farron had it a tiny bit. But Swinson and Davey not so much.

There’s an opportunity for the LibDems but I’m not convinced Davey is the one to exploit it fully.

Davey is not going to ever pull up any stumps in terms of charisma. It helps that he will be up against the wooden Starmer and petulant Sunak as comparators.

His target seat strategy is the correct position this GE, and focused on Tory held seats. He will have won if he puts LD back in 3rd place over SNP and gets more visibility next parliament, and the Jackpot if the balance of power in NOC.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,204

Situation:

Get in there sir. Well done you.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141

boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Reform polled about 6.5% in the by-election in Bromley . Khan needs Reform to poll minimum 5% across London .

I don't think they'll get more than 3%.
    I assume Reform types will see an opportunity to vote out Khan, so swing behind the Tory.

I can't even believe we are discussing a Khan loss, it seems so improbable. However, I haven't lived in that London since Ken was mayor, so no idea of things on the ground.

I notice no-one is starting any 'Andy Burnham has lost Manchester' rumours.
    I’m hearing Andy Burnham has lost Manchester. You heard it here first.
    A stupid post to put on a betting site. That might have got you banned when Mike was in charge.
    Just catching up on posts from overnight and saw this. You absolute bellend. It was clearly a reply to a post by someone else that nobody could possibly take seriously unless they were some kind of retard who might forget their ID despite being a poster on a political website where the matter of voter ID has been discussed endlessly.

Perhaps instead of being an absolute humourless prick you could spend some time working on your hilarious repeat posts of “TRUSS”, whilst admonishing others for repeating themes in posts, or just take some time to question why you are such an absolute cock of the highest order.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Situation:

Um hold on. A "value bet" is a bet made on the assumption that the odds will change in your favour. It becomes a "trading bet" if it is traded out before the results are known. If ridden all the way down to the result and it loses, then it becomes a "value loser". Or have I got this wrong?
    No, that's spot on.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Situation:

Get in there sir. Well done you.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.