Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

About that inevitable Labour landslide – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,729
edited May 12 in General
About that inevitable Labour landslide – politicalbetting.com

Sky News projection from Prof Michael Thrasher: Labour on course to be largest party at general election – short of overall majority https://t.co/h4LJGxaR0c

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,636

My romantic dinner starts shorly, so unless Rishi Sunak hires a hitman to shoot Sir Keir Starmer I won't be on PB.

Enjoy your dinner TSE.

I wonder how well Starmer and Khan will sleep tonight?
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 470
    294+242+38+66=640
    Where's the other 10 seats?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Where are Thrasher/Sky’s extra seven seats coming from for the others (being all except Lab/Con/LD), given the anticipated SNP collapse?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    I would love to know where the extra seats for Others are going to come from.

You just do not make the direct gains that Labour is making from the Tories and end up with a hung Parliament.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,199
    Note the response by Keir Starmer

You know, I've always had a sneaking respect for being the largest party at general election – short of overall majority

https://twitter.com/ImMakingItUpPBComeOnSeriously/status/07700900461
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087
    Sorry, the Lib Dems won't get 17% at the general election.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,678

You just do not make the direct gains that Labour is making from the Tories and end up with a hung Parliament.

Reform?
  • Options

They must just be taking a bucket figure from combined all others, including the Indy’s who have polled well locally, and reform, and counting it as one single party? Which is dumb.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    Who are the "Other" 66 MPs?
  • Options
    Meanwhile the LD seat total is now fast closing on the Tory one again
  • Options

My romantic dinner starts shorly, so unless Rishi Sunak hires a hitman to shoot Sir Keir Starmer I won't be on PB.

Hitman? You're having dinner with Tim Olyphant and Olga Kurylenko??
  • Options
    edited May 3
    EPG said:

It’s a projection IF people voted the same way.

And to get those seats, they only need to poll AS IF they have 17% nationally on those few places. The rest don’t matter
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    Uniform swing.....aint happening. Getting with Tories still good trading bets from here.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    edited May 3
    EPG said:

No, but it's an indication of how a third party might perform under PR.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    IanB2 said:

Dorset now coming in, their best bet to go past I think
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    Labour take ydoethur* country.
    "Labour wins Cannock Chase"

*autocorrect tried to make that "torture".
  • Options

Hitman? You're having dinner with Tim Olyphant and Olga Kurylenko??
    That film is one of my guilty pleasures, Far better than the next Hitman film.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Well I did always say talk about landslide Labour majorities was fanciful and they would win with a majority of around 1-20 but I must say, I have wavered on that recently with these crazy by election swings.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,717
    EPG said:

Why not?

Apart from that, all they need is something like 45% of the votes in the right seats, and they end up with 100 MPs or so.....

That seems to be their current strategy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    DavidL said:

FPT re the Thrasher model

I very, very much doubt that. It seems to me that the Labour gains from the Tories are being heavily understated because they are losing quite a lot of council seats to their left, specifically in Muslim areas. Their net gains are therefore less than they might be. Some, such as Sky, are suggesting that the Tories are losing a lot to "others" but I think this is wrong. It is Labour who are losing to others and then gaining big time from the Tories.

The bad news for the Tories is that this means that Labour gains in areas where there are competitive seats are much greater than it appears and there is a real risk that there is a significant increase in the efficiency of the Labour vote with them doing much less well in ultra safe seats but still winning.

If the war is over before the GE then many of the Hamas-curious should return to Labour.
  • Options
    Stephen Bush basically calling the London mayor race for Hall:

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1786434620856136097

I think he's right.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953

Enjoy! ❤

It's The Phantom Menace (alone) for me tonight! :D
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 484
    To me Sadiq Khan at 1 2 seems like very good value. I have 4k on so far and will do more I think. I don't live in London any more but I find it hard to believe we could win this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    DavidL said:

I very, very much doubt that. It seems to me that the Labour gains from the Tories are being heavily understated because they are losing quite a lot of council seats to their left, specifically in Muslim areas. Their net gains are therefore less than they might be. Some, such as Sky, are suggesting that the Tories are losing a lot to "others" but I think this is wrong. It is Labour who are losing to others and then gaining big time from the Tories.

The bad news for the Tories is that this means that Labour gains in areas where there are competitive seats are much greater than it appears and there is a real risk that there is a significant increase in the efficiency of the Labour vote with them doing much less well in ultra safe seats but still winning.

Yes the Labour vote is shaped to kill at the GE.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,750
    DavidL said:

Expect that PB's own LunarBunny will be by shortly, asking IF you're smoking some extra-proof banana-peel?

BUT at least YOU didn't make rude noises re: Hyndburn and it's "bi-third" local council election gender-bending!
  • Options
    Liberal Democrats total wins getting closer to Conservatives thanks to Cheltenham, at the moment that's Lib Dems 32, Conservatives 0.
  • Options
    edited May 3

Enjoy your meal!

Let me guess - your other half goes out for her romantic dinner on Tuesdays? Truly the key to a lasting relationship.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    edited May 3

I think he's right.

Not really calling it. His tweet:

Turnout figures from the London mayoralty: I think Susan Hall really could do it, you know: londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/elect…

He’s wobbly is all. I’m still pretty certain Khan will win. However it is fun to speculate
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141

DavidL said:

If the war is over before the GE then many of the Hamas-curious should return to Labour.
    lol, Hamas-curious. Do they turn up to Israeli festivals with water pistols and get to see if they like it and can take the next step? Or do they make one of their gay friends stand blindfolded on the edge of a building and push him off without him realising he’s just a floor above a big crash-mat to get the feels.

• Options
    DM_Andy said:

Liberal Democrats total wins getting closer to Conservatives thanks to Cheltenham, at the moment that's Lib Dems 32, Conservatives 0.

The LD gains of +56 (and Greens +41) starts to look respectable against Labour’s +141, too, when you consider Labour’s dominance of national VI
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,002

I think he's right.

If she manages that the Tories are going to forget the thrashing they just had, and indulge in several weeks of cheery complacency. They'll also decide that the way to win the election is to major on all those winning Susan Hall policies. Maybe Sunak will even be tempted to capitalise on his stunning mayoral success (not just London, Teesside too remember) and call a summer General Election.
  • Options
    edited May 3

IanB2 said:

Another CROSSOVER KLAXON! LDs lead by 362 to 354
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Yes the Labour vote is shaped to kill at the GE.

The Labour + LD + Green vote share will end up pretty much as it is in the polls. It is delivering the Tories what looks to be one of their worst ever local election results. What we are seeing very clearly is large-scale anti-Tory voting and some anti-Labour voting in very safe Labour Parliamentary constituencies. If the Tories want to misinterpret this, I am all for it. We may get a general election sooner than I was thinking we might.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087
    Leon said:

I think he's right.

Turnout figures from the London mayoralty: I think Susan Hall really could do it, you know: londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/elect…

He’s havering. I’m still pretty certain Khan will win. However it is fun to speculate
    He's not Havering, he's a hack(ney) (apologies)
  • Options
    TimS said:

I think he's right.

If she manages that the Tories are going to forget the thrashing they just had, and indulge in several weeks of cheery complacency. They'll also decide that the way to win the election is to major on all those winning Susan Hall policies. Maybe Sunak will even be tempted to capitalise on his stunning mayoral success (not just London, Teesside too remember) and call a summer General Election.

Yes, it does look like the Tories are about to draw all the wrong conclusions from these results.

• Options
    EPG said:

Leon said:

I think he's right.

He’s havering. I’m still pretty certain Khan will win. However it is fun to speculate
    He's not Havering, he's a hack(ney) (apologies)
    He’s Barking, more like
  • Options
    Tunbridge Wells is angry at the government

16/39 declared
    Liberal Democrats 12 (+5)
    Conservative 2 (-1)
    Independent 1 (-3)
    Labour 1 (-1)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429
    DM_Andy said:

294+242+38+66=640
    Where's the other 10 seats?

Six counties abstentionists ?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    A lot depends on the Reform vote in London .

Another complication , many of these constituencies stretch from inner London to the outer suburbs . It would help if we got turnout for the boroughs .
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905

SNP
    George Galloway
    Green in Brighton Pavilion

But I'm stumped for the next 60.
  • Options

TimS said:

I think he's right.

Yes, it does look like the Tories are about to draw all the wrong conclusions from these results.

Or all the right conclusions just not necessarily in the right order.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929

To me Sadiq Khan at 1 2 seems like very good value. I have 4k on so far and will do more I think. I don't live in London any more but I find it hard to believe we could win this.

I thought it was value at 1.12... not sure I'd want to drop 4k on it though!
  • Options
    LibDem surge! The gains are flooding in
  • Options

DavidL said:

Are you Netanyahu-curious?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    Did we get to this bit in the Thresher analysis-

This figure assumes also that votes for the nationalist parties in Scotland and Wales, places where no local elections took place, are unchanged from the previous election.

That’s a rather large assumption.
  • Options
    edited May 3

SNP
    George Galloway

Some grunt has dropped all the disparate ‘other’ votes in the locals into the model as a single party ?
  • Options
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

lol, Hamas-curious. Do they turn up to Israeli festivals with water pistols and get to see if they like it and can take the next step? Or do they make one of their gay friends stand blindfolded on the edge of a building and push him off without him realising he’s just a floor above a big crash-mat to get the feels.

Sandy's IDF-curious.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Did we get to this bit in the Thresher analysis-

This figure assumes also that votes for the nationalist parties in Scotland and Wales, places where no local elections took place, are unchanged from the previous election.

That’s a rather large assumption.

So that explains the large ‘other’ base - still not obvious where the gains are, though?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

VR is your friend here. The Plank is a fantastic experience, if that's the right word.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

"Be mindful of the Living Force, my young Padawan!"
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Sadiq Khan is now at precisely the same price I tipped he should be at 4.51am this morning.

I hope you all took advantage.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    TimS said:

I think he's right.

Possibly if Hall narrowly wins (I'm not predicting anything), Labour might blame voter ID rules, and there'll be a push from some in the next Labour government to try and 'balance' things up by putting their thumb on the scales in the other direction.
  • Options
    edited May 3

Sadiq Khan is now at precisely the same price I tipped he should be at 4.51am this morning.

Question is, are you going to lay off and take your Hall profit while you can?
  • Options
    kamski said:

TimS said:

I think he's right.

Possibly if Hall narrowly wins (I'm not predicting anything), Labour might blame voter ID rules, and there'll be a push from some in the next Labour government to try and 'balance' things up by putting their thumb on the scales in the other direction.
    Votes at 16 incoming….
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    Any surprises announced yet? The only news I've picked up all day is Baron Smug of Houchen winning.
  • Options

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Sandy's IDF-curious.
    When I was 10 my father and a couple of his friends went to Israel for a jolly and they bought us (their sons who were all friends as well) mini IDF uniforms. They were absolutely perfect IdF uniforms for kids with the badges, sew on patches etc. it’s like getting a football strip as a kid and following that team for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Not yet. I may do that. But I still don't think the market reflects how close this is probably going to be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Another CROSSOVER KLAXON! LDs lead by 362 to 354
    I’m happy at least one of my predictions looks like landing ! The Blue Wall Tory meltdown.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

The LD gains of +56 (and Greens +41) starts to look respectable against Labour’s +141, too, when you consider Labour’s dominance of national VI
    Now LDs +64 with Labour stuck on +141
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    The LDs always poll higher in local than general elections and some of that will go to Labour so I expect a Labour majority in the end.

However some of those LDs will still have reservations about the Labour left even if comfortable with Starmer, so if Sunak and the Tories can play on that it could yet be close
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

It's not a great movie. But it is more entertaining than people remember.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not yet. I may do that. But I still don't think the market reflects how close this is probably going to be.
    In your position I’d lay off at least half
  • Options

Three reasons why it would benefit Starmer for Hall to defeat Khan

1. Puts the fear of God into non-arse voters. You actually do have to vote, and you can't faff about with peripheral nit-picking or you get the Tories
    2. Hall is frootloop and will show the very worst of the Tories who will ramp her lunacy along with the "we must head off Farage" narrative
    3. Khan is a player. Take him out and he's no longer a player

Lacking any personal stake in the London election I hope always for the most entertaining option. That would cretainly be it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

SNP
    George Galloway

In reality? All Labour...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 3
    Interesting contrast:

LD has won more councillors than Con today.

But PCCs - 33 contests in England - generally each is basically a county. 21 declared so far:

Con 12
    Lab 9
    LD 0
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LibDem surge! The gains are flooding in

Yup. The Dorsets, Tunbridge Wells's and Wokinghams. Great, isn't it?!!!!!!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

Far superior to so-called "sequel" trilogy 2015-19!
  • Options

1. Puts the fear of God into non-arse voters. You actually do have to vote, and you can't faff about with peripheral nit-picking or you get the Tories
    2. Hall is frootloop and will show the very worst of the Tories who will ramp her lunacy along with the "we must head off Farage" narrative

4. The inevitable fulsome and obnoxious congratulations she'll get from Trump
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Interesting contrast:

But PCCs - 33 contests in England - generally each is basically a county. 21 declared so far:

Con 12
    Lab 9
    LD 0

FPTP gets more unfair, the larger the seats
  • Options
    Khan out to 1.35
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872

Indeed

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    boulay said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Sandy's IDF-curious.
    When I was 10 my father and a couple of his friends went to Israel for a jolly and they bought us (their sons who were all friends as well) mini IDF uniforms. They were absolutely perfect IdF uniforms for kids with the badges, sew on patches etc. it’s like getting a football strip as a kid and following that team for the rest of your life.
    No one likes us, no one likes us
    No one likes us, we don’t care!
  • Options
    edited May 3
    I just checked. I can't get to a betting shop AND catch my train. My TEN WHOLE POUNDS on Susan Hall to win will therefore go unspent (I don't bet online). I am sad. :( I haven't made a political bet for yonks and I'm devolving into a Normie. This is not good.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 792

4. A Labour govt would no longer feel the need to open the purse strings for transport / infra capital spend in London.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429

Excellent critique. Can’t fault it.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Sir Keir is ready for anything.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Khan out to 1.35

Just piled in at 1.34. Real value in my opinion.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kamski said:

TimS said:

I think he's right.

Votes at 16 incoming….
    Boundaries decided by population rather than electoral register...

I'm not against votes at 16, but I think this kind of change to voting should be done by consensus as far as possible, rather than whoever is in power making whatever changes they think will give them an advantage.
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Sandy's IDF-curious.
    We can only be glad that they did not buy you the Waffen-SS Action Man then... :)
  • Options

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

The sequels suffered from a lack of consistent vision. The prequels had different problems.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Khan traded as low as 1.02.

And the vast majority of money on Khan was traded at between 1.03 and 1.06.

If Khan loses, nobody should ever say again that anything is certain in politics.

Literally nobody seriously thought Khan could lose before the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    edited May 3

kamski said:

David Lammy is meeting Republicans and Democrats in the US. Isn’t that what politicians do? Is there anything else? This is hardly the crime of the century- like looking at someone’s LinkedIn profile for example.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

The sequels suffered from a lack of consistent vision. The prequels had different problems.
    They could have been awesome

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

Meesa finding that...oddly convincing :)
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 255
    This analysis is nonsense. He is assuming all sorts of stuff (both about Scottish and welsh results) and bracketing other things to grab headlines and it just doesn't square with the super abundance of data that says otherwise. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary prof and I am just not seeing it. Seriously, look at the numbers today. As a researcher who has been in the news often, I find this kind of stuff off putting. It is what pisses people off about experts.
  • Options
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

TimS said:

I think he's right.

Votes at 16 incoming….

I'm not against votes at 16, but I think this kind of change to voting should be done by consensus as far as possible, rather than whoever is in power making whatever changes they think will give them an advantage.
    Yet most electoral changes have happened because those in power thought it would give them an advantage.

Those that last presumably are the ones that coincidentally happen to be well received.

On votes at 16 I'm not in favour, but I think it is going to happen so I'm already mentally prepared for it.
  • Options
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

TimS said:

I think he's right.

Votes at 16 incoming….

If one side can do it then another side can do it. Time for a Greek style rule that whatever the election rules change, it doesn't take effect until after the next general election so there's a chance for the opposition to win under the old rules and repeal the change.

• Options
    MikeL said:

If Khan loses, nobody should ever say again that anything is certain in politics.

Nobody should, but they will. And they will laugh, sneer and attack those who take a different view.

Especially the more simple-minded who don't understand the concept of value losers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    The sub-£20 I'd make from cashing out on Susan Hall isn't worth it really, so I'm just going to stick with it for the entertainment. Wonder if Anabob has cashed out - he stands to win £370 I think. Come on Susan!

• Options
    edited May 3
    IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Interesting contrast:

Con 12
    Lab 9
    LD 0

FPTP gets more unfair, the larger the seats
    Were the Lib Dems really motivated to fight hard in the PCC elections? I suspect not.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    edited May 3
    I told you all to back Hall at 35/1 yesterday. Now 3/1.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kamski said:

David Lammy is meeting Republicans and Democrats in the US. Isn’t that what politicians do? Is there anything else. This is hardly the crime of the century- like looking at someone’s LinkedIn profile for example.
    All true, but such criticisms happen all the time. Even being diplomatic towards Trump in office was presented as beyond the pale sometimes.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Enjoy! ❤

Meesa finding that...oddly convincing :)
    I can't really see the difference.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    MikeL said:

It would be a perfect storm . Low turnout in inner London , change of voting system . The Lib Dems and Greens by not splitting their votes and can’t be bothered Labour voters will learn a harsh lesson . They were possibly handmaidens to a Trump climate change denier.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Sandy's IDF-curious.
    We can only be glad that they did not buy you the Waffen-SS Action Man then... :)
    I think even in the days of gollywogs and Love Thy Neighbour an SS action man would have been a step too far, just honest Landsers who would never be involved in atrocities, oh no, definitely not.
This discussion has been closed.