Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    The_WoodpeckerThe_Woodpecker Posts: 405

Just caught up with that GBN interview of Rosie Duffield by Choppers.

She must be one of the nicest and most human MPs I've ever seen interviewed.

I'd be sorely tempted to vote Labour for her if I lived in Canterbury.

Yes, agreed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,137
    dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.
    The Tories will do better than expected.

How could they not?
    dixiedean said:

And draw all the wrong conclusions.

When do they not?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    kle4 said:

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Is their a website somewhere with a list of when we can expect the results? I'm assuming the London Mayor one will be massively delayed as it always is and won't announce until Saturday.

This is the Press Association page, but they haven't updated it like they said they would, by the end of April.

https://election.pressassociation.com/declaration-times/
    They are not even going to start counting the London results until 9am on Saturday.
    I must say I know a lot of election workers, and deeply respect all they do, but the professionals mostly do not like overnight counting, understandably, and are not really concerned with speedy counting at all (even when there are not multiple elections to deal with), it is the one point I fall out with them about.
    Also know lot of election worker, and share your respect.

Overnight counting is for the birds IMHO. As for speedy counting, here in Martin Luther King County in the great Evergreen State of WA, our election administrators & workers strive to combine strict accuracy with reasonable speed - the later where valid ballots are still arriving days after Election Day.

Two major reasons why they aim to be correct and NOT slow:

1. Professional pride and efficiency which translates into more ballots processed, validated & counted per hour per worker = significant budget savings for county government; and

2. Desire to get media, candidates, pundits, bloggers, etc., etc. off their freaking backs, by Feeding the Beast(s) and getting close enough to hitting bottom re: vote counting, so that only the VERY closest races are still undecided by (say) the Friday after the First Tuesday after the First Monday in November.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,715

Heathener said:

Curious conversation today with my good tory Surrey friend with whom I’m staying again this week.

She said to me, ‘Keir Starmer is the new Boris Johnson.’

I was speechless and thought I must have misheard but another friend heard it and was equally astonished by it. So my good friend repeated the claim. I’ve put it in bold partly because it’s so astonishing and partly because it’ll catch the eye ;)

After a long period of thinking she knew nothing about Starmer and nothing about Labour’s policies my friend has now come to the conclusion that, 'like Boris,' he’s a man of the people: ‘he’s listening to what really matters to people.’

It’ll be dismissed out of hand by the likes of CR who seems to think any anecdotes are the mark of the troll, which doesn’t matter. Perhaps more pertinently I don’t imagine it’s a view widely held by many hitherto tory voters.

But suppose it is? Suppose Starmer is cutting through? I’ve heard elsewhere that he’s gaining traction amongst older voters.

Anyway, I am still astonished by the comment and offer it humbly and verbatim.

I definitely get the sense that Starmer connects far better with ordinary folk than Sunak, although that’s not a high bar (stop sniggering at the back - Ed). I assume your friend likes Johnson, otherwise comparing Starmer with the serially lying, shagging, shambling lump of dishonesty is a bit harsh.
    Starmer has two big advantages.

First is that his background involved some more interaction with normal people.

Second, his career involved a lot more interaction with normal people.

He doesn't have to be good to be hugely better. If you are in the desert, even ditchwater tastes sweet.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

My take is that while the government have not been particularly inspiring, much of what has ‘gone wrong’ has been outside effects (covid and Ukraine), and they would have been hard for any government. I think the country has decided that they no longer want a Tory government.
    But they see local politics a bit differently, so yes I think the extrapolated national vote share will be better for the Tories than current general election polling, and yes, it won’t save them in June, July, November or January, when the national finally gets its say.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,689
    Heathener said:

Curious conversation today with my good tory Surrey friend with whom I’m staying again this week.

She said to me, ‘Keir Starmer is the new Boris Johnson.’

I was speechless and thought I must have misheard but another friend heard it and was equally astonished by it. So my good friend repeated the claim. I’ve put it in bold partly because it’s so astonishing and partly because it’ll catch the eye ;)

After a long period of thinking she knew nothing about Starmer and nothing about Labour’s policies my friend has now come to the conclusion that, 'like Boris,' he’s a man of the people: ‘he’s listening to what really matters to people.’

It’ll be dismissed out of hand by the likes of CR who seems to think any anecdotes are the mark of the troll, which doesn’t matter. Perhaps more pertinently I don’t imagine it’s a view widely held by many hitherto tory voters.

But suppose it is? Suppose Starmer is cutting through? I’ve heard elsewhere that he’s gaining traction amongst older voters.

Anyway, I am still astonished by the comment and offer it humbly and verbatim.

So what PNS and NEV tomorrow matches your anecdote and shows cutting through and getting vote out, will you say?

Blair got 46% in 1995, Ed got 38% in 2012. Starmer has only ever managed 35%.

Now polling over 43% Starmer needs a national equivalent of over 40% doesn’t he to prove he isn’t massively underperforming in real votes.

Not that I’m dismissing your anecdote and focus group of 1 person - who at least had the political nous to vote Conservative so many times.

But a PNS and NEV up in the forties is far stronger evidence of cut through, or otherwise if it’s still 39% or less, we can agree?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,066
    Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Is their a website somewhere with a list of when we can expect the results? I'm assuming the London Mayor one will be massively delayed as it always is and won't announce until Saturday.

This is the Press Association page, but they haven't updated it like they said they would, by the end of April.

They are not even going to start counting the London results until 9am on Saturday.
    Previously, the London count used scanning machines, but with the switch to FPTP, they're switching the counting to by hand, the old fashioned way. AIUI.

This doesn't explain the Saturday counting. Just thought I'd mention it.
  • Options
    The_WoodpeckerThe_Woodpecker Posts: 405

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I've pretty much lost track of Starmer's tedious tactical triangulations, but have we done this one?

"Labour set to unveil weakened package of workers’ rights. Shadow ministers have been discussing how to tone down some of pledges in ‘New Deal’ to ease employer misgivings", Financial Times, May 1 2024?, see https://archive.is/DdxXz

Or do we just throw it on the pile with the rest?

We're teaming with Employers up and down the country to give you an extensively limited package of vague and disappointing rights. Because they told us to.
    It's electoral gold
    Starmer is going to be absolutely shit, isn’t he? He will have an enormous majority and he will do zero with it, apart from vaguely left wing things that are pointless and cheap (because there’s no money left). He will then try and appease his base with Woke crap

I suspect he will manage to throw away that vast majority within one term
    That's exactly what's going to happen.
    You are now endorsing Leondamus’ view of the world? The person who so emphatically declared to us that Liz Truss was a marvel, a diamond in the rough, a person who would win the next election for the Conservatives. Clearly it’s high time for the annual reminder:

There are an awful lot of right-wingers on here at the moment who are getting ever more irascible and irrational (an interesting combination) as their moment of Doom approaches.

You will have many, many, years of non-power to contemplate the error of your ways and it’s a shocking and chastening thought that many pb-ers will be dead before the Conservatives return to power in the UK. I might be one of them.

Who, exactly, do you class as right wing on here? Anybody to the right of you (pretty much everyone!)? Or do you have a little list?
    "Don't tell him, Pike!"
    Actually allowing SOME people the option to work zero hours is fine, as it suits some people.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,273

Tres said:

Is Khan in trouble?

The Wes Streeting tweet seems very odd otherwise.

Has the Hall campaign been as outrageous as he is implying? (I don’t live in London so have no idea).
    Yeah they have been peddling thinly disguised racism against Khan and lies about ULEZ on social media for months. I'm just surprised no senior opposition politician had called it out earlier.
    I’ve seen some of the stuff about road pricing. Isnt that based on things Khan has written, but now claims to not wish to do? I think it’s fair to suggest that it’s something that might happen, even if only to get Khan to commit to not doing it. If he renews, it’s on his record for next time.
    Nah it's scare-mongering bollocks.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,271
    GIN1138 said:

TRUSS

@Taz

TRUSS Vs RAYNER - Election 2029? :open_mouth:
    TRAYNER
  • Options

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I've pretty much lost track of Starmer's tedious tactical triangulations, but have we done this one?

"Labour set to unveil weakened package of workers’ rights. Shadow ministers have been discussing how to tone down some of pledges in ‘New Deal’ to ease employer misgivings", Financial Times, May 1 2024?, see https://archive.is/DdxXz

We're teaming with Employers up and down the country to give you an extensively limited package of vague and disappointing rights. Because they told us to.
    It's electoral gold
    Starmer is going to be absolutely shit, isn’t he? He will have an enormous majority and he will do zero with it, apart from vaguely left wing things that are pointless and cheap (because there’s no money left). He will then try and appease his base with Woke crap

You are now endorsing Leondamus’ view of the world? The person who so emphatically declared to us that Liz Truss was a marvel, a diamond in the rough, a person who would win the next election for the Conservatives. Clearly it’s high time for the annual reminder:

There are an awful lot of right-wingers on here at the moment who are getting ever more irascible and irrational (an interesting combination) as their moment of Doom approaches.

You will have many, many, years of non-power to contemplate the error of your ways and it’s a shocking and chastening thought that many pb-ers will be dead before the Conservatives return to power in the UK. I might be one of them.

Who, exactly, do you class as right wing on here? Anybody to the right of you (pretty much everyone!)? Or do you have a little list?
    "Don't tell him, Pike!"
    Actually allowing SOME people the option to work zero hours is fine, as it suits some people.
    Yep. I have no issue with protections around ZHCs, but banning them seems over the top.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,196
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

I might sound right-wing but I always end up voting for the LDs. Don't ask why. Maybe I feel sorry for them. 😊
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

My take is that while the government have not been particularly inspiring, much of what has ‘gone wrong’ has been outside effects (covid and Ukraine), and they would have been hard for any government. I think the country has decided that they no longer want a Tory government.
    But they see local politics a bit differently, so yes I think the extrapolated national vote share will be better for the Tories than current general election polling, and yes, it won’t save them in June, July, November or January, when the national finally gets its say.
    Time. For. A. Change.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

Have you ever felt the urge to conquer mainland Europe? If so, you might be on to something.
    I was born on the same day as Napoleon. Is that simply coincidence? Or something more than that? You decide. It’s your call

But when you add that in, then it all looks a lot more ambiguous doesn’t it?

There will always be nay sayers that I can never convince. I pay them no heed
    My son was born on the same day as Napoleon's death, 177 years later, and - unlike you - is directly descended from him. And he doesn't talk batshit nonsense either.

You can fight it out with him, if you want.
    I PAY YOU NO HEED
    I can tell. And you make sure of it by shouting it.

Tu m'amuse, mon cher.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

I might sound right-wing but I always end up voting for the LDs. Don't ask why. Maybe I feel sorry for them. 😊
    The old saying applies. If you meet one arsehole in your day, you met an arsehole. If you meet a lot of arseholes, it’s probably you that’s the problem. If you meet someone more right wing than you, you met a right winger. If everyone you meet is more right wing than you, maybe, just maybe, you ar3 really far left yourself.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

Time. For. A. Change.
    It is. But locals may not fully reflect that.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    A win for Susan Hall and the Conservatives is a win for racists, white supremacists and Islamophobes the world over.

Susan Hall’s campaign has been fought from the gutter with dangerous and divisive politics.

London, we cannot let her win. Vote Sadiq."

I mean putting out a Tweet accusing your political opponents of being "White Supremacists" does seem a bit OTT?

Perhaps he's drunk?

Is to do with this, it is to force the Lib Dems and Greens to vote Labour to stop the Tories winning under FPTP.

Susan Hall Campaigns with Tommy Robinson Supporting Anti-ULEZ Activist Who ‘Applauds’ Vandals and Believes Islamists are in Charge of Britain

https://bylinetimes.com/2024/04/30/susan-hall-sadiq-khan-nick-arlett-ulez-tommy-robinson-islam-blade-runners/
    I mean you get all sorts of odd balls and weirdo's coming out of the woodwork during Elections.

Did Susan Hall even know she was "campaigning" with this fella or what his views are?

Don't forget that guy from PB (Martin Day?) who was nominally "campaigning" for the Conservatives when he was arrested for assaulting Labour activists in Election 2010.

Was David Cameron personally responsible for that?
    Have you seen today’s question time? Sunak was twice asked if it’s true, the WhatsApp groups full of Islamophobia and death threats at Khan have been set up by Conservative activists. Rather than saying no, Sunak dodged it twice.

If a parties activists are behind these things, then yes, the buck does stop at the Party Leaders desk. Is that not fair to say?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

Time. For. A. Change.
    Yeah. In the 1997 local elections, the Conservatives started to show some signs of recovery, even as they were going down to their worst defeat in 1832, in the national election.

As this will be an election year, I'm not sure if these locals are comparable to 1996 or 1997?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,069
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"The £6bn tunnel that could link Europe to Africa by 2030
    After 100 years, a rail crossing between Spain and Morocco could finally come to fruition"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/underwater-tunnel-link-spain-to-morocco-by-2030/

That’ll help the migrant issue.
    Seems oddly cheap to be honest. Why can't a super billionaire pay for stuff like that and ensure their name lives on forever?
    It could be a significant game changer for that region of Morocco. It always seemed wrong that the part of the country closest to the riches of the EU is also the poorest and most troubled, while the South and West are where the money is.

A tunnel plus proper port facilities and some targeted industrial infrastructure and Tangier and region could be a nearshoring hotspot. That plus electricity exports from solar farms further South.

I expect the impact on migration would be pretty limited because the straits are already very narrow but most migrants go elsewhere where the smugglers can act with impunity. And if anything some industrial development in the North might boost resources for policing and security.
    Isn't Africa going to collide with Europe in 10 million years or something in any case? Seems like a waste of funds.
    I’m sure there must be a joke about Calmac ferries somewhere.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

"Don't tell him, Pike!"
    Labour should stop chasing headlines and put proposals through which won’t then get diluted . Zero hours should be an option for those that want them and shouldn’t be forced on employees . That seems a fair compromise .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    edited May 1
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

Time. For. A. Change.
    Yeah. In the 1997 local elections, the Conservatives started to show some signs of recovery, even as they were going down to their worst defeat in 1832, in the national election.

As this will be an election year, I'm not sure if these locals are comparable to 1996 or 1997?
    In 1997 they benefited from general election turnout and the county seats up being last contested in 1993 when the Tories had lost control of every county council except Bucks. So the only way was up
  • Options
    edited May 1

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    A win for Susan Hall and the Conservatives is a win for racists, white supremacists and Islamophobes the world over.

Susan Hall’s campaign has been fought from the gutter with dangerous and divisive politics.

I mean putting out a Tweet accusing your political opponents of being "White Supremacists" does seem a bit OTT?

Perhaps he's drunk?

Is to do with this, it is to force the Lib Dems and Greens to vote Labour to stop the Tories winning under FPTP.

Susan Hall Campaigns with Tommy Robinson Supporting Anti-ULEZ Activist Who ‘Applauds’ Vandals and Believes Islamists are in Charge of Britain

https://bylinetimes.com/2024/04/30/susan-hall-sadiq-khan-nick-arlett-ulez-tommy-robinson-islam-blade-runners/
    I mean you get all sorts of odd balls and weirdo's coming out of the woodwork during Elections.

Did Susan Hall even know she was "campaigning" with this fella or what his views are?

Don't forget that guy from PB (Martin Day?) who was nominally "campaigning" for the Conservatives when he was arrested for assaulting Labour activists in Election 2010.

Have you seen today’s question time? Sunak was twice asked if it’s true, the WhatsApp groups full of Islamophobia and death threats at Khan have been set up by Conservative activists. Rather than saying no, Sunak dodged it twice.

If a parties activists are behind these things, then yes, the buck does stop at the Party Leaders desk. Is that not fair to say?
    Well, if anything illegal or criminal has been going on (and death threats would certainly constitute that) that's a matter for the police first and foremost, then, if proven, for the Party to expel the members who have been engaging in this activity.

Finally, the Party leadership should then explain how it happened and what they intend to do to make sure it doesn't happen again
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,635
    TimS said:

Purge

Election Year.
  • Options

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Previously, the London count used scanning machines, but with the switch to FPTP, they're switching the counting to by hand, the old fashioned way. AIUI.

It’s completely crackers that they don’t even start counting the mayoral votes until Saturday. It should be enshrined in law that all election counts are triggered Thursday night.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

You will have many, many, years of non-power to contemplate the error of your ways and it’s a shocking and chastening thought that many pb-ers will be dead before the
    Conservatives return to power in the UK. I might be one of them.

Not everyone in the UK has the same issue with people of colour that you do
  • Options

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

I remember the first time London used scanning machines in about 2004. It was a total fiasco, with the results taking much longer than they did previously with hand-counting.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,894
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

"Don't tell him, Pike!"
    Labour should stop chasing headlines and put proposals through which won’t then get diluted . Zero hours should be an option for those that want them and shouldn’t be forced on employees . That seems a fair compromise .
    But how can you tell that an employee who "wants" zero hours has not been forced by their employers to say that?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,244

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

Have you ever felt the urge to conquer mainland Europe? If so, you might be on to something.
    I was born on the same day as Napoleon. Is that simply coincidence? Or something more than that? You decide. It’s your call

My son was born on the same day as Napoleon's death, 177 years later, and - unlike you - is directly descended from him. And he doesn't talk batshit nonsense either.

I am the reincarnation of both Spinoza and Ian Botham!
    The cricketing ability of the former, and philosophical acumen of the latter ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting

Perhaps he's drunk?

You are correct, and would be IF the situation were reversed. Or turned upside down, or whatever.

As you imply (I think) Sunak should have done obvious, by denouncing political hate speech whether committed by alleged supporters or not; especially when committed from them. No need to be hyperbolic, a short clear statement sufficing; certainly better than a plate of waffles.

BUT am speaking as a strange stranger from a stranger land; so your insight and viewpoint more likely to be cogent just as your vote is more potent. Or something like that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,244
    Did the Murdoch empire hack MPs for commercial ends?
    What if Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper company didn’t just hack phones to get a scoop, but targeted elected politicians—right to the very top—in pursuit of its business ambitions?
    https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/ideas/media/phone-hacking/65891/did-the-murdoch-empire-hack-mps-for-commercial-ends
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,894

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I am the reincarnation of both Spinoza and Ian Botham!
    I have the physique of Bing Crosby and the singing voice of Joe Bugner. As a kid, I wanted to be the other way around.
  • Options
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,715

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

Time. For. A. Change.
    The often do, though. Whenever the political tide turns, a lot of very decent local politicians get turfed out because of the colour of their rosette. Some of them were even Lib Dems.

Mayors, by their huge profile, may be able to withstand that.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I PAY YOU NO HEED
    I can tell. And you make sure of it by shouting it.

Tu m'amuse, mon cher.
    As Marie Walewska said to Napoleon Bonaparte. (Or was it the other way around?)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077
    I'm starting to think a fair number of students across American universities seem to think they are Malcolm McDowell in If... and that a certain section of the public agrees.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting

Perhaps he's drunk?

Well, if anything illegal or criminal has been going on (and death threats would certainly constitute that) that's a matter for the police first and foremost, then, if proven, for the Party to expel the members who have been engaging in this activity.

Finally, the Party leadership should then explain how it happened and what they intend to do to make sure it doesn't happen again
    You mean a Party Leader will know full well what’s going on, but will say at PMQs and everywhere “I cannot answer or act whilst there is a police investigation going on.”

You think that’s okay?
  • Options
    New Scotland polling for Peston tonight forecasts Labour will win most Scottish MPs for the first time since 2010 with 28 MPs while the SNP collapse to just 19
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New Scotland polling for Peston tonight forecasts Labour will win most Scottish MPs for the first time since 2010 with 28 MPs while the SNP collapse to just 19

What about the Tories? Their vote seems to be holding up better in Scotland than England.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    That story on the train to Morocco reminded me of the post I made earlier today, at Patterico's:

"On Saturday, “joyful crowds” turned out to celebrate new Sound Transit commuter rail line. Or so said the Seattle Times. Top Democrats headlined the celebration, pleased at this “progressive” triumph.

I have to admit that I smiled as I read the article, and watched a little of the TV news stories. The line links two poverty-stricken cities, Bellevue and Redmond. It is six miles long, and cost, so far, a measly 3.7 billion. It already has an additional, special police unit. Supposedly, it will be linked to the much larger Seattle-based system real soon, so that it can be used for something practical, like getting to the Seatac airport. As far as I can tell, trips on it will be slower, for most riders, than the buses, which have been in use for years.

I smiled, because the whole thing is so absurd — but I do feel sorry for my younger family members and friends in the area, who will have to pay for all this.

(For the record: At 80, I have given up driving, at least for now. I use buses in this area regularly. and have found them adequate for my simple needs.)"

I should have added that they estimate that it will have an average of 6,000 riders a day. For those not familiar with this area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellevue,_Washington
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redmond,_Washington

And that the topography of this area is less suited to rail than other flatter places, without large water obstacles.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,879
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

How could they not? [do better than expected]
    dixiedean said:

When do they not?
    Well at last last year's election the Conservatives projected a 500 seat loss as a ridiculously overstated expectations management. They lost 1000.
  • Options
    The Pro Hamas chaos at US university’s is now being imported into UK, The Times is saying.

If it’s such bad news over there for Biden, is it going to become a problem for Labour here too?
  • Options

The Pro Hamas chaos at US university’s is now being imported into UK, The Times is saying.

If it’s such bad news over there for Biden, is it going to become a problem for Labour here too?

TRUSS
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting

Perhaps he's drunk?

Let’s put it this way, I win £310 from a tenner bet if Hall wins.

Not going to happen, is it?
    I can't resist a long shot, so I've stuck three quid on. Thankfully I only ever bet peanuts.
  • Options

In '68 it all started with the Sorbonne, didn't it?

Of course we were lucky back then that the national union of students was led by Jack Straw so inevitably it came to nothing much.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Considering the little turd was responsible for tens of thousands of untimely deaths due to his insatiable lust for personal aggrandisement (Napoleon, not your son), I fail to see what there is to be particularly proud of.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But the election isn’t today, and polls are not predictive, just snapshots.

Whoever the new SNP leader is, polls are saying they will be massively more popular than the outgoing leaders ratings, and more popular than Labour. A honeymoon and uplift in SNP popularity and polling looks on the cards doesn’t it?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

"Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting

Perhaps he's drunk?

Sunak is being careful not to associate himself with Susan Hall, as his unpopularity could damage her campaign.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    edited May 1
    Credit to MoonRabbit for saying "Pro Hamas". In this area and, so far as I can tell, most of the US, "pro-Palestinian" is the standard adjective.

("Pro-Gazan" is another possibility, but I think the Rabbit's choice is better.)
  • Options

Biden and Trump are starting at a 50/50 position, give or take a few.

Labour/Tory are not.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Thanks yet again for your ongoing efforts in bird-dogging the PO scandal for fellow PBers.
  • Options
    edited May 1

HYUFD said:

Whoever the new SNP leader is, polls are saying they will be massively more popular than the outgoing leaders ratings, and more popular than Labour. A honeymoon and uplift in SNP popularity and polling looks on the cards doesn’t it?
    Are they? Last time Swinney, the odds on favourite, was SNP leader the SNP lost 8 seats and got its lowest ever Holyrood voteshare and was comfortably beaten by Labour in Scotland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Scottish_Parliament_election
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Considering the little turd was responsible for tens of thousands of untimely deaths due to his insatiable lust for personal aggrandisement (Napoleon, not your son), I fail to see what there is to be particularly proud of.
    If it was long enough ago killing lots of people becomes a point of pride.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It is a little odd though. I mean we're not talking about Gandhi here. It's like boasting about being descended from Genghis Khan or Attila the Hun. Amusing perhaps but hardly an untarnished badge of honour.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are they? Last time Swinney, the odds on favourite, was SNP leader the SNP lost 8 seats and got its lowest ever Holyrood voteshare and was comfortably beaten by Labour in Scotland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Scottish_Parliament_election
    And that is excluding Murrell now having been charged and Sturgeon still not yet cleared by police but still under investigation
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,329
    CNN on the campus protests:

https://x.com/danabashcnn/status/1785725450527842512

Today: Destruction, violence and hate overtake college campuses across the country with Jewish students feeling unsafe at their own schools. It is unacceptable, and harkening back to the 1930s in Europe.
  • Options
    edited May 1

Credit to MoonRabbit for saying "Pro Hamas". In this area and, so far as I can tell, most of the US, "pro-Palestinian" is the standard adjective.

("Pro-Gazan" is another possibility, but I think the Rabbit's choice is better.)

I'm following someone on instagram who I cannot believe for a second would be favourable to Hamas but nonetheless seems to think these protests in the US are inspiring. They are the first step towards freeing ourselves from the prison our elites have locked us in and saving the planet from total destruction.

Admittedly this individual is a little eccentric but people's susceptibility to simple narratives worries me.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,028
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I think with napoleon the question is, would the alternative have been any better?

By modern standards he's a dictator and a fascist, by the standards of the time he was a reformist and a radical.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I think with napoleon the question is, would the alternative have been any better?

By modern standards he's a dictator and a fascist, by the standards of the time he was a reformist and a radical.
    He was a complex guy, to be sure, and times a lot more brutal in general.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    edited May 1
    This kind of video from the Telegraph plays well in the white working and lower middle classes:

https://youtu.be/npoFJk_cMD8

...complete with shots of bins and a broken fence (ugh - some people! - they're not Like Us!), showing the police zeroing down on an a house in Anytown - could be a house near you - bagging themselves a non-white immigrant and putting him in a van ready for deportation to happy Rwanda. Pure Alf Garnett heaven and catnip, with "Vote Tory" written all the way through it as if through a stick of rock. This is how the Tories will win the general election.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,915

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

"Don't tell him, Pike!"
    In the US, California caused a lot of problems for freelancers by the way they cracked down on zero hours contracts.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Savanta:

Khan 42%
    Hall 32%

"London mayoral election race electrified by final poll showing Sadiq Khan lead over Susan Hall smallest so far
    Exclusive: Savanta survey for Centre for London put Labour mayor on 42 per cent and Tory candidate 32 per cent"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/london-mayoral-election-race-latest-poll-sadiq-khan-susan-hall-b1154884.html
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,915
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dune Messiah…

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I was stating a fact not an opinion. Not about Napoleon. I did express an opinion about @Leon but he is well able to take care of himself and I enjoy teasing him.

I am not responsible for the actions of my ancestors. The stories about them interest and sometimes amuse me. The histories of families are vastly entertaining and illuminating - of history, of how it affects families and how they respond to it. On my father's side one of my ancestors was an early member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a precursor of the IRA, and involved in an infamous attack on a police station, for which he fled to France for a while to avoid being arrested.

The Irish did not, like the French, much like the English either.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,635
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fast forward to Gaza, 2024.
  • Options
    edited May 1

"Pro Hamas" is either propaganda or else plain ignorance.

"Pro-Gazan" ignores the fact that most of the population of Gaza aren't in Gaza by choice, let alone in Rafah. If they - or the proportion who are allowed to survive - are shifted to an even smaller area such as al Mawasi, perhaps call them Al Mawasians and then after that perhaps Boatsians.

Gaza is a geographical area and I wonder why you think it's OK to refer to people who have been forced there as if they are from there or belong there?
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Are we already seeing just how streetwise the hard ball being played by Tories together with greater scrutiny on “what will Labour do” will close the polling gap?

I can’t be the only one thinking something seems to be changing. A poor PNS and NEV of still just 30 something % with underwhelming results elsewhere for Labour this week, and Conservatives buoyed by better than expected elections, it could act as a sort of catalyst that proves things are now on the turn.

On the turn to a change in narrative, and tightening of polling, expected by all of us as destined to come in febrile pre General Election period with the greater scrutiny on Labour? It’s starting now and late if anything.

When I called the GE Labour 39% Conservatives 33% I was called Loon Rabbit - but looking over tomorrow mornings front pages, can you not appreciate just how much harder this is already getting for Labour - at the business end of the season as they say in football (aka squeaky bum time). The “i” and Guardian not helpful to Labour on election day, hammering them for watering down pledge to protect workers and rights, The Times telling us Labour are planning to give channel migrants asylum, The Mail repatriating the Ref vote back to the Tories.

When Starmer said today he would scrap Rwanda Scheme on Day 1, you sensed no one in the country believes he will, not least how technically and legally does he do it? For example, it’s easy to dismiss something still at idea stage as a gimmick, but Shadow Minister was today asked, everyone the Tories deport to Rwanda, do you start bringing them back? He didn’t have an answer. If any floating voter watched him waffle the vote was lost.

And 2% inflation! recession busting growth! and interest rate cuts (ignore US in different place to our economy) still to be endlessly lauded in coming weeks…

Things are on the turn.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The British like to think of themselves as always fighting for liberty against fascists and dictators.

This does not survive even a moment's scrutiny.

Let's take Nelson. When the Neapolitans rose up against the Bourbon Kings, inspired by Napoleon, and declared the Parthenopean Republic, it was Nelson who helped quash the rebellion - brutally. Indeed, he boasted about putting it down as savagely as the Irish rebels had been put down in the Wolfe Tone-led rebellion just beforehand. The British were allying themselves with Bourbon monarchs - who were some of the most useless monarchs around.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

"Fascist" when applied to Napoleon is anachronistic.
    Dictator he certainly was.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,211
    Donkeys said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

"Fascist" when applied to Napoleon is anachronistic.
    Dictator he certainly was.
    It's almost like somebody wrote an article about how it becomes more difficult to apply a classification the further away in time or space you go... 😀

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/01/07/classification/
  • Options
    On reincarnation, I wonder who Rishi Sunak thinks he is a reincarnation of. The wankers in the media who have painted him in racist terms as a "snake" haven't had the intelligence to ask that question.

There are other currently serving and former politicians and state figures both in Britain and a number of nearby and allied countries who are not Hindus but who nonetheless strongly believe they have been reincarnated. It's one of those things that nobody talks about. If you know what to look for, it's unmistakable.

Reincarnation is a detestable idea and in certain hierarchical spiritual scenes in which lower levels are indoctrinated into believing in this crap, the teaching at higher levels is that it is an illusion.
  • Options
    Regarding Napoleon, I am wondering whether he knew the Ossian material was fake. He may have done. Perhaps he rated it as top-quality modern mythmaking.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,965
    edited May 1
    Donkeys said:

On reincarnation, I wonder who Rishi Sunak thinks he is a reincarnation of. The wankers in the media who have painted him in racist terms as a "snake" haven't had the intelligence to ask that question.

There are other currently serving and former politicians and state figures both in Britain and a number of nearby and allied countries who are not Hindus but who nonetheless strongly believe they have been reincarnated. It's one of those things that nobody talks about. If you know what to look for, it's unmistakable.

Reincarnation is a detestable idea and in certain hierarchical spiritual scenes in which lower levels are indoctrinated into believing in this crap, the teaching at higher levels is that it is an illusion.

My Buddhist friends would disagree.

It may of course be crap when taken in the literal sense but your atoms will be recycled and were definitely part of many things in the past.

Anyway, what should we be looking for, exactly?
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Donkeys said:

"Pro-Gazan" ignores the fact that most of the population of Gaza aren't in Gaza by choice, let alone in Rafah. If they - or the proportion who are allowed to survive - are shifted to an even smaller area such as al Mawasi, perhaps call them Al Mawasians and then after that perhaps Boatsians.

Gaza is a geographical area and I wonder why you think it's OK to refer to people who have been forced there as if they are from there or belong there?
    Plain ignorance. I’ll give you plain ignorance.

Go look at the banner posted below by kle4. And the facts are Hamas and IS, the two groups who control Gaza, murder LGBT+ people - whilst Israel is a tolerant Liberal Democracy that does not.

It is these students who are ignorant. They have the inability to compute what is happening is not a black and white historical struggle full of injustice, but far more nuanced battle of ideologies, with on one side a misogynist and murderously intolerant ideology they can only be wittingly or ignorantly cheerleading for right now. They have no excuse. And you too, if you support and defend these protests.

Everyone who protests for Gaza now is also on the side on the hideous pogrom Hamas committed to start this conflict. If you side with evil bastards, you will always appear to reasonable minded folk as the evil bastard too. That’s ignorance going on here.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    GB News (Again) but the next Con leader and PM after SKS - Kemi Badenoch - Speaks

Enjoy! 🙏

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jf_86AqPs
  • Options

Donkeys said:

My Buddhist friends would disagree.

It may of course be crap when taken in the literal sense but your atoms will be recycled and were definitely part of many things in the past.

Anyway, what should we be looking for, exactly?
    I don't want to say too much. Look first for an interest in a previous figure that strikes you as more than just admiration or an intellectual interest. This is all I will say.

As for Napo-Leon and PB-Leon, perhaps Napoleon's use of bee symbolism was connected with mad honey :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2
    I'm surprised the poll giving the incumbent a 10% lead in London isn't getting more attention, given that most of the polls were about 10% out last time around.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Donkeys said:

Actually good point I have paused and thought about it.

Actually. I’ve been thinking why did I say Hamas supporting protests as first thing that came into my head, and not Palestinians? I always think of gazans as Hamas, but not all Palestinians as Hamas. I guess it is the way I have reasoned it and understand it already and can’t subtract innocent gazans from not so innocent Hamas and IS who’s in charge. But on the other hand I do recognise there’s lots of Israeli’s who never have and don’t support Netanyahu’s government. Is it because I have seen them on news protesting and not killed but never seen Gazans protesting about Hamas and IS and alive afterwards, so presume they are all the same side or have fled?

So I still feel no need at all for these political sit ins, when there have clearly been unfair horrors committed by both sides out there. imo be mindful of the horrors committed by both sides better than getting involved in the unstraighforward politics of this conflict.

If feel the need to do something, as I have done, then lend support or money to Red Cross or Red Crescent and other charities going on the ground Easy to recognise how Gazan’s will starve, have injuries, have lost loved ones, have been traumatised, especially the children - so support the charities who, bravely as we know from those Britons Israel blew up, are going out their way to help with all these things.

Gazans are going to need lots of food quickly now. Don’t have a self serving sit in, stand up and make it happen. Make some sandwiches or something. Hummus for Hamas.

There, I’ve done it again.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Currently global news stories in the US and US-satellite zone:

* clearance of non-white immigrant tent dwellers in Dublin, as "streets cleaned" and victims "herded" on to coaches as the Guardian puts it, complete with a photo of clearance personnel wearing lilywhite hazmat suits;

* clearance of pro-Palestinian student protestors from Columbia University campus in New York, the protestors who have been demanding divestment from Israel in order to combat what they believe to be the danger that the regime that has killed about 1.5% of the Gaza population within the last 7 months will commit imminent genocide.

Meanwhile in a north European country:

* "first phase of detentions underway for Rwanda relocations", as the British government terms - in a way that bureaucrats will find so erotic - its arrest of illegal immigrants preparatory to deportation - "relocation" to a country that nobody really thinks is safe but which has in a "Don't argue with the cops" way been "deemed" to be as safe as houses.

Any guesses for a fourth story of the clearance of the weak by the strong?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,452
    Donkeys said:

* clearance of non-white immigrant tent dwellers in Dublin, as "streets cleaned" and victims "herded" on to coaches as the Guardian puts it, complete with a photo of clearance personnel wearing lilywhite hazmat suits;

* clearance of pro-Palestinian student protestors from Columbia University campus in New York, the protestors who have been demanding divestment from Israel in order to combat what they believe to be the danger that the regime that has killed about 1.5% of the Gaza population within the last 7 months will commit imminent genocide.

* "first phase of detentions underway for Rwanda relocations", as the British government terms - in a way that bureaucrats will find so erotic - its arrest of illegal immigrants preparatory to deportation - "relocation" to a country that nobody really thinks is safe but which has in a "Don't argue with the cops" way been "deemed" to be as safe as houses.

Gaza ?

I’m sure I’m a few years time it will be part of Israel and some prime real estate.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,727
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

What then are we to make of the London Mayoral election polls this evening? We had YouGov with a 22 point Khan lead yesterday, then Savanta weighed in with a 10 point Khan lead this morning.

The Savanta poll looks dramatic but it's not Hall tearing chunks out of Khan's lead (Hall is actually down a point) but all the candidates taking nibbles out of Khan's polling. Blackie has 10% (the polls often over estimate the LD position) with Garbett also up a notch as is Reform.

The methodology Savanta use weights on the 2021 Mayoral poll and there's an argument false recall is one of the issues. We'll find out more on Friday evening.

As Chris Hopkins himself states, it's still a comfortable lead for Khan but there's a world of difference in terms of how this can be spun by CCHQ between a 25% vote for Hall and a 32% vote.

As has been said by others, the Mayoral contests, more than the Council or PCC or even the Blackpool South by-elections, will be the fulcrum of the election night spin operation. IF Houchen and Street win and Hall performs respectably, the Conservatives will claim a good night irrespective of the other results. IF Houchen scrapes home, Street loses and Hall gets 25% or less I suspect it will be much harder to spin as anything positive.

If, as you say, the reduced Sadiq Khan lead is due to support for parties outside the big two then this shows why the Conservatives changed the election to FPTP. How minor party supporters will actually vote is anyone's guess but they can no longer transfer their votes to Khan or Hall as second preferences.

As for spin, the question is not the usual one of how CCHQ will spin near-misses to the public but how Number 10 will spin them to Conservative backbenchers.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,852
    Andy_JS said:

After 100 years, a rail crossing between Spain and Morocco could finally come to fruition"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/underwater-tunnel-link-spain-to-morocco-by-2030/

Not only will that never happen (the business case won't stack up and the politics would never allow it, it would be a huge conduit for migration into Europe) but they'd struggle to even approve and finance it by 2030 even if they wanted to, yet alone build it.

It would take at least 8 years to build and commission, and probably more like 10.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Absolutely disgraceful and shameful efforts by the Tories in the West Midlands .

Street deserves to lose for being part of this last minute campaign to discredit his opponent . The Labour candidate already fulfills the criteria to stand regardless of where he lives because of his business interests in the area .

He’s a carpetbagger?
    The allegation seems to be that he is an unlawful carpetbagger, which is a very different accusation if true.
    My brother knows Andy Street a little and describes him as ‘a weasel’ and with ‘a very nasty piece of work as partner’.

And, noooooo, that’s doesn’t mean my bro’ is being homophobic. He’s gay.
    I've had a good laugh reading your posts on here tonight. It's the only way one can now interpret them. And they're truly hilarious.

More please.
  • Options
    That has woken me up, and is keeping me up.

Very bright. Initially I thought NR had Yellow Plant out doing night-time maintenance on the railway line by my house.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,727

That has woken me up, and is keeping me up.

Very bright. Initially I thought NR had Yellow Plant out doing night-time maintenance on the railway line by my house.
    Just reached here. Let's hope it has dried up before voting starts.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The British like to think of themselves as always fighting for liberty against fascists and dictators.

Let's take Nelson. When the Neapolitans rose up against the Bourbon Kings, inspired by Napoleon, and declared the Parthenopean Republic, it was Nelson who helped quash the rebellion - brutally. Indeed, he boasted about putting it down as savagely as the Irish rebels had been put down in the Wolfe Tone-led rebellion just beforehand. The British were allying themselves with Bourbon monarchs - who were some of the most useless monarchs around.

The Bourbons were useless, and they were useless when restored following the final defeat of Napoleon, but this was just Britain acting in what it saw as its national interest.

Sometimes, and ideally, that coincided with its ideals, but not always.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Excellent.
  • Options

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

It’s completely crackers that they don’t even start counting the mayoral votes until Saturday. It should be enshrined in law that all election counts are triggered Thursday night.
    I've pretty much made the same bet as you, because my nose tells me Khan is just too short even if he will win, so maybe - just maybe- the market will get the heebie-jeebies at some point if Hall does well, and we can trade out at a profit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited May 2
    Cyclefree said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The problem was the Bourbons were absurdly popular with the lower classes. The Parthenopean Republic was an elite creation, which could only survive with French backing.

That does not however, exonerate Nelson, who violated the terms of surrender that were granted to the rebels. Brutal executions would have been no problem, in contemporary eyes, had the rebels surrendered unconditionally. It was Nelson’s perfidy however, that attracted condemnation.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,967
    Leon said:

I had a gruelling evening yesterday. I'd decided to do a big walk. I stopped after 36km in quite a big town to try to find a room about 10km on

I found one 12km away and booked, but got no confirmation. I'd run out of supplies (beer) and went to three supermarkets. They were all closed and not opening until 5pm, I got to the third one at 4:30

I had to press on without beer, not knowing if I had a room booked. I'd walked about 2km more when I got a message from the host asking me to be there before 8pm

I replied no problem, thinking I'd be there by 7. Five minutes later I was officially diverted. They were doing major works on the canal I'd been walking by. I followed the diversion, and it seemed to be an extra km or two on the route. No problem

Then I lost the route.. the signs are set up for people going the right way, not oddballs like me walking to France. But Google maps told me that I was still on a path, heading for a road that would join me back to the official route

Then the path ended. It carried on on Google, but I'd reached the middle of a side of a vast field with some young crops growing in it. I couldn't follow the Google path, straight through the field, but I had to carry on, I had to be there by 8

I ended up having to walk around four fields, and walk through the brambles and climb over the irrigation channels between them. I eventually got back to the road, still with 10km to go, and two and a half hours until eight

I knew I could do it, but I was damned thirsty and still had a hill to climb. I got over the 100m hill and thought I was basically done; 5km to go and an hour and a half to get there

Then the heavens opened, quite violently, and the wind got strong. I had my little umbrella up but couldn't stop the rain from hammering ìnto the back of my legs

Nor could I do anything about the dirty, huge splash from the rain covering my jeans from the knee down in filth

I arrived at the hostel with half an hour to spare. The host was shocked to see me; he was sure I'd have given up. But my room was available, he gave me perfect dinner (chicken soup, then lentil and chorizo stew), and did my washing, all for 40€

Fantastic. You have a gift for vivid self-reportage!
    "Then the path ended. It carried on on Google, but I'd reached the middle of a side of a vast field with some young crops growing in it. I couldn't follow the Google path, straight through the field, but I had to carry on, I had to be there by 8"

That's an interesting comparator.

Does the landowner have a duty exist to maintain PROWs across fields in France?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,967

stodge said:

Ballot is tomorrow, obvs, but looking at the odds tonight and how tight they are Houchen looks home and dry.

He's almost as short in price as Khan.

As he won 73-27 in 2021, it's astonishing it's even been a contest. If he wins 55-43 it's still a massive swing to Labour. Street has done rather better to give himself more than a fighting chance and his win will show the merits of disassociating yourself from the national party.

Hall has done okay if she gets above 30% - even Savanta has Khan ahead in Outer London which is astonishing but the 2021 experience makes me a little wary of these polls.

Elsewhere, the PCC elections and Council elections are likely to be unpleasant for the Conservatives but there just aren't the volume of seats to lose as there were in 2022 and 2023 and will be next year.

I've put up my eight predictions so we'll see how they go.
    If a result within 10 gives Labour hope of winning all the constituencies at the GE, then how come Houchen keeps winning?
    "Keeps winning" is a bit of a stretch for 2017 and 2021 only !

Even H'Angus the Monkey in Hartlepool won three terms.

Will Houchen be the new H'Angus?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    edited May 2
    Japan's housing crisis:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/may/01/akyia-houses-why-japan-has-nine-million-empty-homes

I don't think we will be getting the problem here for a while, but there are similarities already in parts of Europe.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

It's electoral gold

"Don't tell him, Pike!"
    Yep. I have no issue with protections around ZHCs, but banning them seems over the top.
    As I see it they are a shibboleth, about which some Trade Union figures obsess. Rail and water renationalisation are similar for many.

Every time I see polling, most people on ZHCs seem to want to retain them.

But on this, reality is irrelevant.

That seems perfectly aligned with what Labour propose. Employers will be obliged to offer permanent contracts periodically, but employees can choose to stay on ZHC if it suits them. There will be protections against coercive employers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/may/01/labours-new-deal-for-workers-will-not-fully-ban-zero-hours-contracts
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,324

Andy_JS said:

Not only will that never happen (the business case won't stack up and the politics would never allow it, it would be a huge conduit for migration into Europe) but they'd struggle to even approve and finance it by 2030 even if they wanted to, yet alone build it.

It would take at least 8 years to build and commission, and probably more like 10.
    Meanwhile,in China such a tunnel could be designed and built within 3-4 years. Africa is going to be the fastest growing economic region over the next generation...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,236
    Cyclefree said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Like everyone the British fought for their own self interest. Since the goal of British foreign policy was generally to prevent the emergence of a dominant power in continental Europe, this often involved us fighting powerful bullies like Napoleon. But since the British also ran the largest empire in the world, an inherently coercive exercise, the idea that we only fought for liberty doesn't survive even a moment's scrutiny.
  • Options
    🚨 NEW: A Tory MP has no valid photo ID to vote tomorrow and is now pleading with local members for help

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1785792949030101411?t=8k7p63652LkGFDyaN9yIPQ&s=19
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    dixiedean said:

My take on the locals.

Same. 3-6% better on the NEV than the current national opinion polls.

Why? Because they’re locals.

One of the wrong conclusions will be about Labour.

If it hastens the General Election then great but I doubt it will.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,611
    Foxy said:

🚨 NEW: A Tory MP has no valid photo ID to vote tomorrow and is now pleading with local members for help

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1785792949030101411?t=8k7p63652LkGFDyaN9yIPQ&s=19

Hello, have you met my dog? She's called Karma.
This discussion has been closed.