Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,739
edited May 12 in General
imageHeat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself – politicalbetting.com

NEW @IpsosUK Political Pulse. No significant shift in Angela Rayner's personal favourability ratings amidst ongoing tax row.More on favourability towards parties and leaders here https://t.co/KvnTxx27De pic.twitter.com/oHeIkjOe2t

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,441
    @LadPolitics
    How many seats (vs post 2019 GE total) will the Conservatives lose at the next General Election?

No losses - 100/1
    1-50 - 33/1
    51-100 - 16/1
    101-150 - 13/2
    151-200 - 5/2
    201 or more - 1/2
  • Options
    @bbclaurak

SNP survives no confidence vote, so avoid crashing into an election campaign, for now... over to the party to choose it's next leader
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,200
    Scott_xP said:

@LadPolitics
    How many seats (vs post 2019 GE total) will the Conservatives lose at the next General Election?

No losses - 100/1
    1-50 - 33/1
    51-100 - 16/1
    101-150 - 13/2
    151-200 - 5/2
    201 or more - 1/2

101-150 looks tempting there.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,829
    [Patrick Harvie] says Humza Yousaf spoke out for the victims of Gaza in a way "that no other national leader I can think of was able to do".

Scottish Greens. Not bothered about the environment.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,517

[Patrick Harvie] says Humza Yousaf spoke out for the victims of Gaza in a way "that no other national leader I can think of was able to do".

Same with the Greens in the rest of the UK. The Green MP at PMQ's question was about Gaza. A matter of the utmost concern, obviously.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,679
    Taz said:

Same with the Greens in the rest of the UK. The Green MP at PMQ's question was about Gaza. A matter of the utmost concern, obviously.
    Well, the IDF have fucked up the environment in Gaza.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,734
    Scott_xP said:

@LadPolitics

No losses - 100/1
    1-50 - 33/1
    51-100 - 16/1
    101-150 - 13/2
    151-200 - 5/2
    201 or more - 1/2

Playing around on Electoral Calculus, I can get Tory losses below 200, if the vote tightens to 41-31.

That's Labour near the bottom of their current range, and Tories at the top, plus four from Reform.

Is that so unlikely?

I think people have overreacted to make 201+ losses 1/2. It should be the favourite, but I think there's value in the other bands.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,208
    Taz said:

MPs aren't allowed to discuss foreign policy? Revolutionary if true.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP survives no confidence vote, so avoid crashing into an election campaign, for now... over to the party to choose it's next leader

70-58. No abstentions ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

They can. That doesn't mean it is impossible to overly focus on such matters, which naturally is a matter of opinion.

Since most parties are pretty green these days, including many Conservatives, Green parties have incentive to talk about other bugbears.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,331
    This isn't great publicity for the UK.

"Why Britain’s towns and cities are going bust"

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2024/05/world/birmingham-uk-bankruptcy-intl-cnnphotos/
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,685
    George is confident his gal will unseat her. He even suggested she might chicken run.
    I think that qualifies as 'bold'
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 306
    Scott_xP said:

@LadPolitics

No losses - 100/1
    1-50 - 33/1
    51-100 - 16/1
    101-150 - 13/2
    151-200 - 5/2
    201 or more - 1/2

Boring. A much more enjoyable and profitable proxy is going to be a series of Portillo moment markets on individual cabinet ministers if anyone puts them up.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,026
    Portsmouth South has shifted heavily to the right, relative to pre-2010, if that poll is correct.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,996
    edited May 1
    Andy_JS said:

This isn't great publicity for the UK.

"Why Britain’s towns and cities are going bust"

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2024/05/world/birmingham-uk-bankruptcy-intl-cnnphotos/

No. But it happens in the US too.

Detroit went bust about 10 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_bankruptcy

Not sure Birmingham has run up $20bn (yet)...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

They are real clowns and now have the SNP as their puppets, you could not make it up.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

So SNP voted with the Greens
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,909

Taz said:

Hamas are funded by Iranian Oil.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,581
    Sean_F said:

Portsmouth South has shifted heavily to the right, relative to pre-2010, if that poll is correct.

Do you think Morgan could be overturned by the Tories.

Who's seen the Operation Vector video? It's like the Sweeney. You're nicked!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,500
    OT - MTG is going after the Speaker of the House.

https://us.cnn.com/2024/05/01/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-mike-johnson-vacate/index.html

I suspect it has no chance of success but probably slightly beneficial to the Dems to have Mental Margie going loco all over the airwaves.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Sean_F said:

Not for the first time. It also did so between the 1970s and 80s, with one of the biggest drops in the Labour vote in 1983 from around 40% to 20%, and a further small decline in 1987.
  • Options

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,734
    So much for Russia's Black Sea blockade.

⚡️Economy minister: Ukraine reaches pre-war level of exports in April.

Ukraine exported more than 13 million tons of products totaling $3.3 billion in April, which is higher than volumes for February 2022 before the start of the full-scale invasion, Economy Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said on May 1.

Source: Kyiv Independent
  • Options
    @ElectionMapsUK
    🚨 || General Election Nowcast (30/04):

LAB: 448 (+248) - 43.9%
    CON: 121 (-251) - 24.0%
    LDM: 38 (+30) - 9.6%
    SNP: 19 (-29) - 3.0%
    PLC: 4 (+2) - 0.6%
    GRN: 1 (-) - 6.1%
    RFM: 0 (-) - 12.2%
    Oth: 1 (-) - 0.5%

LAB Maj of 246.

Changes w/ GE2019 notionals.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,628

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    And who would you rather trust - America or Iran?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,794
    A Very British Sex Scandal: The Love Child & the Secretary

Channel 5, 9pm tonight. Cecil Parkinson.
  • Options
    @ITVNewsPolitics

In a tape leaked to ITV News, Lee Anderson claims Cabinet ministers messaged support after his suspension over inflammatory remarks made about Sadiq Khan

He's also heard saying Mr Khan 'hates this country... our heritage, our culture' |
    @AnushkaAsthana

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,266
    Good afternoon @TheScreamingEagles
    The first draft of the Solarpunk article has been posted. It is the first draft but shows the structure. Would you care to have a look please?

@dixiedean , @LostPassword, you said you would like a look at it first. There is one paragraph in there I assume you won't like, but it's a starter and can be modified
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,722
    On Topic. There is another element to it. Tying up your opponent up so they are defending, not attacking. Spending their time in their own half defending that could be usually spent attacking. And that is how it ruins parties campaigns as they struggle to get messages across.

It’s not just Tories targeting Rayner, Galloway vowed to take her scalp in the election. Rayner is Labours Miss Battlebus, and opponents want to make her appear to be an untrusted hypocrite and stuck in her constituency during the GE.

In politics and sports, if opponents have an advantage you target it to nullify it. This does work. I think the Tories made 1992 a lot about Kinnock becoming the UK PM, by the end of the campaign, the final big push in a tight contest, the Labour spin doctors hid Kinnock in a potting shed.

The table in the header probably doesn’t measure the whole effectiveness in marking an opponent out the game so they can’t do their business for the team, only final match score when the whistle goes.

Not a shock if for the General Election the Tories ask the police to investigate if and why Starmer let the Saville victims down - that would fill up a lot of front pages and Starmer’s interview time. And the danger of getting into the head of the Labour campaign and into Starmer’s head, so asked about it in umpteenth interview or vox pop of the week, his exasperated angry response will go viral. How many times have we seen stars in football marked out the game get sent off for a frustrated foul their opponents made a meal out of?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

One way of putting it!

ON checking, 'Alba's Ash Regan voted with the Tories, Labour and LibDems to bring down the Government.'. Very brave of the Tories once they knew they wouldn't win and get an election they didn't want.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24292429.motion-no-confidence-scottish-government-fails/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556

George is confident his gal will unseat her. He even suggested she might chicken run.

Talking out of his hat.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

One way of putting it!

ON checking, 'Alba's Ash Regan voted with the Tories, Labour and LibDems to bring down the Government.'. Very brave of the Tories once they knew they wouldn't win and get an election they didn't want.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24292429.motion-no-confidence-scottish-government-fails/
    Carnyx, Yes , SNP are F**ked now unless they get a real leader, Greens will lead them by the nose otherwise.
    Swinney will be the last nail in the coffin if they are stupid enough to go with him.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
  • Options

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    IDF part fund themselves unlike Hamas who are just leeches and unlike Hamas teh IDF do not siphon off majority for personal aggrandisement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

So the new leader just needs a pact with the Greens then. Is there a template for that?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    edited May 1
    kinabalu said:

Talking out of his hat.
    Will he hold his own seat?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    If Trump returns this might cease to be a no-brainer.
  • Options

A Very British Sex Scandal: The Love Child & the Secretary

Channel 5, 9pm tonight. Cecil Parkinson.

I remember that well. He was a Maggie favourite, wasn't he. She tried to keep him.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,500
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

So the new leader just needs a pact with the Greens then. Is there a template for that?
    I don’t think you can just reheat the BHA. Besides why wouldn’t the Greens extract more from the SNP for a redo? I suspect that the reason neither Swinney nor Forbes have yet dived into the contest is that they can count and they understand the political implications of the sums.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Talking out of his hat.
    WPB are standing in most Rochdale Council seats tomorrow, how they get on might give us a clue to his chances. I suspect he will hold on.
  • Options
    edited May 1

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    I don’t agree; you know where you are with Iran! The US, especially if Trump gets back, will be unpredictable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,709

kinabalu said:

Talking out of his hat.
    Only if he's asked to clutch his elbow.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,709

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    I don’t agree; you know where you are with Iran! The US, especially if Trump gets back, will be unpredictable.
    Hopefully, even Trump won't descend to this level of depravity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68840881
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Talking out of his hat.
    WPB are standing in most Rochdale Council seats tomorrow, how they get on might give us a clue to his chances. I suspect he will hold on.
    True. However, although it’s many years since I had much to de with Rochdale, I suspect his vote is concentrated in quite a small segment of the borough.
    Mr RP might well know better.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

I don’t think you can just reheat the BHA. Besides why wouldn’t the Greens extract more from the SNP for a redo? I suspect that the reason neither Swinney nor Forbes have yet dived into the contest is that they can count and they understand the political implications of the sums.
    It's a challenging situation for the SNP. Can they form a stable government and avoid an election?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,944
    Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

I think that’s the sort of thing best left to an unelected lord rather than MPs from the lesser parties worrying their empty little heads about it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Talking out of his hat.
    Hopefully not.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

It's a challenging situation for the SNP. Can they form a stable government and avoid an election?
    Same can be said for *any* party in Holyrood. The electoral system is deliberately set up for that reason, to force coalition or at least c&s. in almost all realistic circs.
  • Options
    I trust Leon has voted by post in the London mayoralty election.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

I think that’s the sort of thing best left to an unelected lord rather than MPs from the lesser parties worrying their empty little heads about it.
    You mean, unless they are DUP in which case they are allowed to control foreign policy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Same can be said for *any* party in Holyrood. The electoral system is deliberately set up for that reason, to force coalition or at least c&s. in almost all realistic circs.
    So in that context 63 is a landslide majority. But there's not much goodwill around after recent events.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

Ooh, let me guess. You have haemorrhoids, green antique wallpaper in the bedroom, and hair unaccountably falling out?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

So in that context 63 is a landslide majority. But there's not much goodwill around after recent events.
    Sure, but given the difficulty of achieving a majority, can anyone else do the job short of an election?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Sure, but given the difficulty of achieving a majority, can anyone else do the job short of an election?
    Well no. It's SNP or election, isn't it. But what sort of SNP and what sort of government?
  • Options
    Leon said:

An egocentric short arse?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    Oh come on Sunil. Don't come over all "they're all as bad as each other" because that just isn't true. The Iranian regime is one of the most evil on earth.
    And even (nod to kinabalu) if Trump were to win, America would remain a democracy. Criticism of the regime would be possible. Women wouldn't be beaten to death for immodesty. It would still be nowhere near Iran on the scale of awful.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, let me guess. You have haemorrhoids, green antique wallpaper in the bedroom, and hair unaccountably falling out?
    And presumably hung like un moineau.

• Options
    edited May 1
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I knew you’d mock. You’re a born skeptic and an atheist. But if you open your mind and think about it - then you can see how it makes sense

Like Napoleon I am extremely gifted and rizz we know all that blah blah I don’t need to rehash it. But I am also a new kind of human being, a sort of
    “universal man”. I am aware this sounds really self regarding and I don’t want to do that - but I don’t know how else to put it
  • Options
    Fucking May Day. So every business in France shuts and no one has any where to go on the one day everyone is on holiday. How fucking stupid is that. The French are twats
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Leon said:

Fucking May Day. So every business in France shuts and no one has any where to go on the one day everyone is on holiday. How fucking stupid is that. The French are twats

You think it unusual that people in businesses don't work on a public holiday? What (and who) do you think public holidays are for?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,511
    edited May 1
    Patrick Harvie most powerful (and useless) politician in Scotland until the GE delivers a dose of realism and Holyrood 2026 the peoples verdict which will not be kind to either the SNP or the Greens
  • Options

Leon said:

You think it unusual that people in businesses don't work on a public holiday? What (and who) do you think public holidays are for?
    Sundays used to be like that. And were universally derided as rubbish (see "Every day is like Sunday").
  • Options
    Leon said:

They should rename it Lockdown Day and cordon bleu off the park benches
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,898
    edited May 1
    ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP need the Greens. No other party can likely provide the support they need and if they go into an election it will almost certainly make the numbers more difficult for them again.

For their part, the Greens have significant buying power they are unlikely to retain if they force an election.

That's the basis of a deal. I suspect that deal will look significantly similar to the BHA because the sums essentially dictate it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,392
    The writing style of Napoleon XIV looks familiar:

You thought it was a joke, and so you LAUGHED, YOU LAUGHED! When I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, RIGHT?

You know you laughed. I HEARD you laugh, you laughed.

And laughed and laughed!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,568
    Really feels to me like Yousless has created a monster for the SNP here.

If he wanted out he should have given his members a vote like the Greens were going to. If they parted ways amicably you get the feeling he might -might- have been able to cling on, issue by issue.

As it is this whole episode feels to me as having emboldened the Greens even further.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Apparently old Naps was above average height for his time - the short-arse stuff being a kind of urban legend that came later.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

OT - MTG is going after the Speaker of the House.

https://us.cnn.com/2024/05/01/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-mike-johnson-vacate/index.html

I suspect it has no chance of success but probably slightly beneficial to the Dems to have Mental Margie going loco all over the airwaves.

Even the Dems have said they won't participate in this ousting attempt, but you're right, it can hardly hurt them to have MTG raving about how her colleagues are uniparty traitors.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Sundays used to be like that. And were universally derided as rubbish (see "Every day is like Sunday").
    Trudging slowly over wet sand, back to the bench where your clothes were stolen

The misery is feckin delicious 😋
  • Options
    edited May 1

Leon said:

Somehow in Britain we manage to have a public holiday without shuttering every business in the country so the holiday becomes a miserable hunt for the one place which is still open, which is then horribly overcrowded, stressing out the staff and the customers. Idiots

If I could come back as Napoleon (spoiler: I have) I’d fix this first, and pronto
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP need the Greens. No other party can likely provide the support they need and if they go into an election it will almost make the numbers more difficult for them again.

For their part, the Greens have significant buying power they are unlikely to retain if they force an election.

That's the basis of a deal. I suspect that deal will look significantly similar to the BHA because the sums essentially dictate it.
    It's in both their interests to make something work, so they probably will, simple as. Doesn't need to even be that formal.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have you ever felt the urge to conquer mainland Europe? If so, you might be on to something.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    "Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

🚨 Susan Hall is the most dangerous candidate I've ever faced.

Before you give her an X, read her X.

A thread:
    She supports hard-right politicians, and holds extreme, deeply concerning views.
    She's a climate change denier and doesn't consider herself a feminist."

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1785656529749790935
  • Options

The writing style of Napoleon XIV looks familiar:

You thought it was a joke, and so you LAUGHED, YOU LAUGHED! When I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, RIGHT?

You know you laughed. I HEARD you laugh, you laughed.

And laughed and laughed!

The b-side of that song is often considered the most unlistenable song ever recorded. It's basically just the a side backwards.
    https://youtu.be/yPj47ip5cRo?si=3At8QmjpKtoHv01V
    Back in the era of juke boxes it could empty a cafe or pub in minutes.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP need the Greens. No other party can likely provide the support they need and if they go into an election it will almost make the numbers more difficult for them again.

It's in both their interests to make something work, so they probably will, simple as. Doesn't need to even be that formal.
    That's my thinking. More than C&S, less than full coalition. So they end up where they previously were with Bute House Agreement version 2
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Have you ever felt the urge to conquer mainland Europe? If so, you might be on to something.
    I was born on the same day as Napoleon. Is that simply coincidence? Or something more than that? You decide. It’s your call

But when you add that in, then it all looks a lot more ambiguous doesn’t it?

There will always be nay sayers that I can never convince. I pay them no heed
  • Options
    Maybe they should go with Forbes, roll the dice and engineer an election?

It changes the conversation, anyway. I feel like they are stuck with the arithmetic and political situation they find themselves in now until 2026. So they either need to work with it and probably go down with the ship (Swinney), rage against it and get nothing done while leaching votes (Forbes, no election), or roll the dice and try and get a new set of circumstances (Forbes, election).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

You’ve obviously never worked in a retail establishment.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ITVNewsPolitics

In a tape leaked to ITV News, Lee Anderson claims Cabinet ministers messaged support after his suspension over inflammatory remarks made about Sadiq Khan

He's also heard saying Mr Khan 'hates this country... our heritage, our culture' |
    @AnushkaAsthana

I believe half of that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Somehow in Britain we manage to have a public holiday without shuttering every business in the country so the holiday becomes a miserable hunt for the one place which is still open, which is then horribly overcrowded, stressing out the staff and the customers. Idiots

If I could come back as Napoleon (spoiler: I have) I’d fix this first, and pronto
    Selfish …….. d!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Apparently old Naps was above average height for his time - the short-arse stuff being a kind of urban legend that came later.
    Actually not true, as Zamoyski makes clear. Napoleon might have been average height for his time - in the wider world, and amongst the peasantry. But in the French and European aristocracy (the mileu in which he moved) he was notably short. Contemporaries remarked upon it

And I should know. The inherited trauma stings even now. Epigenetics
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Actually not true, as Zamoyski makes clear. Napoleon might have been average height for his time - in the wider world, and amongst the peasantry. But in the French and European aristocracy (the mileu in which he moved) he was notably short. Contemporaries remarked upon it

And I should know. The inherited trauma stings even now. Epigenetics
    Come on, Stumpy, just buy some Cuban heels and get back to your day job
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Not to mention massacring the Bretons, Vendeeans, etc. etc.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes so I gather. An attempt by his detractors to cut him down to size?
  • Options

Leon said:

Heck, even when they wanted to ban Christmas they added in provision for leisure time.

Forasmuch as the Feasts of the Nativity of Christ, Easter and Whitsuntide, and other Festivals commonly called Holy-Dayes, have been heretofore superstitiously used and observed Be it Ordained, by the Lords and Commons in Parliament assembled, That the said Feast of the Nativity of Christ, Easter and Whitsuntide, and all other Festival dayes, commonly called Holy-dayes, be no longer observed as Festivals or Holy-dayes within this Kingdome of England and Dominion of Wales, any Law, Statute, Custome, Constitution, or Cannon to the contrary in any wise notwithstanding: And to the end that there may be a convenient time allotted to Scholars, Apprentices, and other Servants for their Recreation: Be it Ordained by the authority aforesaid, That all Scholars, Apprentices, and other Servants shall, with the leave and approbation of their Masters respectively first had and obtained, have such convenient reasonable Recreation and Relaxation from their constant and ordinary Labours on every second Tuesday in the moneth throughout the year, as formerly they have used to have on such aforesaid Festivals, commonly called Holy-dayes. And that Masters of all Scholars, Apprentices, and Servants, shall grant unto them respectively such time for their Recreations on the aforesaid second Tuesdaies in every moneth, as they may conveniently spare from their extraordinary and necessary Services and Occasions. And it is further Ordained by the said Lords and Commons, That if any difference shall arise between any Master and Servant concerning the Liberty hereby granted, the next Justice of the Peace shall have power to hear and determine the same.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Yes, be mentally deranged and let them cause untold damage
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

That's my thinking. More than C&S, less than full coalition. So they end up where they previously were with Bute House Agreement version 2
    More shit and disaster then by idiots who hardly got 1000 votes between them
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:
    She supports hard-right politicians, and holds extreme, deeply concerning views.

Oh come on Sadiq, it didn't work when your opponents tried to paint you as a dangerous extremist, it won't work the other way round either.

Even if its all true, how 'dangerous' can a London Mayor be?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,601
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    Oh come on Sunil. Don't come over all "they're all as bad as each other" because that just isn't true. The Iranian regime is one of the most evil on earth.
    And even (nod to kinabalu) if Trump were to win, America would remain a democracy. Criticism of the regime would be possible. Women wouldn't be beaten to death for immodesty. It would still be nowhere near Iran on the scale of awful.
    Women would, however, die on illegal operating tables with messed up abortions. But hey, women, surprised they are allowed to vote really.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

Oh come on Sadiq, it didn't work when your opponents tried to paint you as a dangerous extremist, it won't work the other way round either.

Look what happened with the last one. Though perhaps in a somewhat different sense.
  • Options
    Survation just put out a final call for London, 45 26 to Khan but Fieldwork 18 to 23 April
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    Women would, however, die on illegal operating tables with messed up abortions.
    With the Supreme Court effectively packed for a decade or more, unfortunately that will not be changing any time soon.
  • Options
    "Immigration is surging, with big economic consequences
    The West faces an unprecedented number of new arrivals

The rich world is in the midst of an unprecedented migration boom. Last year 3.3m more people moved to America than left, almost four times typical levels in the 2010s. Canada took in 1.9m immigrants. Britain welcomed 1.2m people and Australia 740,000. In each country the number was greater than ever before. For Australia and Canada net migration is more than double pre-covid levels. In Britain the intake is 3.5 times that of 2019."

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/04/30/immigration-is-surging-with-big-economic-consequences
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

Two words.

Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

The Mayoralty encouraged Boris Johnson’s ambition.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

Two words.

Boris Johnson.
    He wasn't dangerous whilst Mayor.

Indeed, that's one reason it was a good role for him - of course you can still mess up, but its more limited.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

Two words.

Boris Johnson.
    He wasn't dangerous whilst Mayor.

Indeed, that's one reason it was a good role for him - of course you can still mess up, but its more limited.
    Indeed. Your main role as mayor is enthusiasm - something Boris did well, and Sadiq does badly.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,035
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Apart from Christmas Day. You are not allowed to enjoy yourself on Christmas Day
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

A thread:

Dangerous rather than just bat shit?
This discussion has been closed.