Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

[Patrick Harvie] says Humza Yousaf spoke out for the victims of Gaza in a way "that no other national leader I can think of was able to do".

Scottish Greens. Not bothered about the environment.

Same with the Greens in the rest of the UK. The Green MP at PMQ's question was about Gaza. A matter of the utmost concern, obviously.
    Well, the IDF have fucked up the environment in Gaza.
    Hamas are funded by Iranian Oil.
    America funds the IDF.
    And who would you rather trust - America or Iran?
    Neither, frankly.
    Oh come on Sunil. Don't come over all "they're all as bad as each other" because that just isn't true. The Iranian regime is one of the most evil on earth.
    And even (nod to kinabalu) if Trump were to win, America would remain a democracy. Criticism of the regime would be possible. Women wouldn't be beaten to death for immodesty. It would still be nowhere near Iran on the scale of awful.
    Women would, however, die on illegal operating tables with messed up abortions. But hey, women, surprised they are allowed to vote really.
    I'm not enthusing about Trump. But would you really rather be a woman in Iran than a hypothetical second-term Trump America?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,557
    Forbes and Swinney in informal talks. If he offered her the Finance brief back....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68939241

What today has proved is that any leader of the SNP has to have Green support or there is an exceptional election. Forbes is not going to get it so she really ought to be in a position to trade.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,393
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@LadPolitics
    How many seats (vs post 2019 GE total) will the Conservatives lose at the next General Election?

No losses - 100/1
    1-50 - 33/1
    51-100 - 16/1
    101-150 - 13/2
    151-200 - 5/2
    201 or more - 1/2

101-150 looks tempting there.
    Take the double carpet!
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,965
    edited May 1
    Cookie said:

The writing style of Napoleon XIV looks familiar:

You thought it was a joke, and so you LAUGHED, YOU LAUGHED! When I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, RIGHT?

You know you laughed. I HEARD you laugh, you laughed.

And laughed and laughed!

The b-side of that song is often considered the most unlistenable song ever recorded. It's basically just the a side backwards.
    https://youtu.be/yPj47ip5cRo?si=3At8QmjpKtoHv01V
    Back in the era of juke boxes it could empty a cafe or pub in minutes.
    Has nobody recorded any Birtwhistle?

Although rather than emptying the bar, that usually does the opposite [when played in a concert hall].
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    This should be fun:-

It is an old and not very funny joke: how do you tell if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving.

Members of the Senedd, the Welsh parliament, are intent on tackling this age-old problem by bringing in legislation that bans politicians from telling untruths.

If the law comes into force, Wales would be the first country in the world to make lying by politicians a criminal offence.

The former Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price, who is leading the charge against the liars, said that in a world of post-truth politics, populism, disinformation and deep fakes, and with elections taking place in the UK and US this year, the issue was vital.

“The public are rightly tired of seeing certain politicians lie with impunity,” he said. “It is not enough for us as lawmakers to throw up our hands in disgust. We have the power to change the rules so all politicians act with integrity, honesty and respect.”
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

🚨 Susan Hall is the most dangerous candidate I've ever faced.

Before you give her an X, read her X.

A thread:
    She supports hard-right politicians, and holds extreme, deeply concerning views.
    She's a climate change denier and doesn't consider herself a feminist."

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1785656529749790935

Oh come on Sadiq, it didn't work when your opponents tried to paint you as a dangerous extremist, it won't work the other way round either.

Even if its all true, how 'dangerous' can a London Mayor be?
    "Not a feminist" is being a dangerous extremist in his book?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

An egocentric short arse?
    Apparently old Naps was above average height for his time - the short-arse stuff being a kind of urban legend that came later.
    Actually not true, as Zamoyski makes clear. Napoleon might have been average height for his time - in the wider world, and amongst the peasantry. But in the French and European aristocracy (the mileu in which he moved) he was notably short. Contemporaries remarked upon it

And I should know. The inherited trauma stings even now. Epigenetics
    This praise of a dictator, the Singaporean love of master/servant and the Indian caste, de haut en bas attitude is worrying. If you weren’t a white man someone might even call you “un-British”.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited May 1

It is an old and not very funny joke: how do you tell if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving.

Members of the Senedd, the Welsh parliament, are intent on tackling this age-old problem by bringing in legislation that bans politicians from telling untruths.

If the law comes into force, Wales would be the first country in the world to make lying by politicians a criminal offence.

The former Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price, who is leading the charge against the liars, said that in a world of post-truth politics, populism, disinformation and deep fakes, and with elections taking place in the UK and US this year, the issue was vital.

“The public are rightly tired of seeing certain politicians lie with impunity,” he said. “It is not enough for us as lawmakers to throw up our hands in disgust. We have the power to change the rules so all politicians act with integrity, honesty and respect.”

Yes, I'm sure he will be able to appropriately account for mistakes, ambiguities, omissions, implications, and all other situations lacking total clarity or accuracy, and ensure proportionate punishment for such transgressions. I foresee no problems.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543

I hope this is accompanied by a massive, tax funded Office of Truth who will audit the truth and punish wrongsayers
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

[Patrick Harvie] says Humza Yousaf spoke out for the victims of Gaza in a way "that no other national leader I can think of was able to do".

Same with the Greens in the rest of the UK. The Green MP at PMQ's question was about Gaza. A matter of the utmost concern, obviously.
    America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    Oh come on Sunil. Don't come over all "they're all as bad as each other" because that just isn't true. The Iranian regime is one of the most evil on earth.
    And even (nod to kinabalu) if Trump were to win, America would remain a democracy. Criticism of the regime would be possible. Women wouldn't be beaten to death for immodesty. It would still be nowhere near Iran on the scale of awful.
    Women would, however, die on illegal operating tables with messed up abortions.
    With the Supreme Court effectively packed for a decade or more, unfortunately that will not be changing any time soon.
    Clarence Thomas is by far the oldest and really ought to have been impeached for any number of reasons. If he was replaced by a liberal things would get a lot more unpredictable.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    With the Supreme Court effectively packed for a decade or more, unfortunately that will not be changing any time soon.
    Clarence Thomas is by far the oldest and really ought to have been impeached for any number of reasons. If he was replaced by a liberal things would get a lot more unpredictable.
    The Court naturally looks after its own, none of them want to be held accountable - apparently its the only branch of government which is not allowed to be interferred with by any others.

Thomas is just looking to get as many 'gifts' from friends as he can, and look for opportunities to lean on the scales for Trump on behalf of his coup loving wife.

In any case, even if one quit or died now the GOP would push any confirmation past the election, so changing the balance relies on Biden winning regardless.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,685
    edited May 1
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP survives no confidence vote, so avoid crashing into an election campaign, for now... over to the party to choose it's next leader

70-58. No abstentions ...
    So SNP voted with the Greens
    So the new leader just needs a pact with the Greens then. Is there a template for that?
    I don’t think you can just reheat the BHA. Besides why wouldn’t the Greens extract more from the SNP for a redo? I suspect that the reason neither Swinney nor Forbes have yet dived into the contest is that they can count and they understand the political implications of the sums.
    SNP need the Greens. No other party can likely provide the support they need and if they go into an election it will almost make the numbers more difficult for them again.

For their part, the Greens have significant buying power they are unlikely to retain if they force an election.

That's the basis of a deal. I suspect that deal will look significantly similar to the BHA because the sums essentially dictate it.
    It's in both their interests to make something work, so they probably will, simple as. Doesn't need to even be that formal.
    I am going to wade into Scottish politics, despite last time I was in Scotland it was virtue of walking along top Hadrian’s Wall on a school trip, and shouted at to get down, you are not allowed to walk on it - so likely to get the same response.

Here’s my position.

Even in old pictures of Sturgeon signing deal with the Greens, the Greens woman still has insane hair that makes her look like Medusa. I appreciate Medusa is a sad tale, and Medusa’s need our sympathy for the bad press and flak put up with. Even so, has the SNP lost support because of coalition with the Greens, and could do with some time away from people with such crazy hair and other crazy bits, to restore SNP lost popularity?

It doesn’t matter if that’s true or not, alongs SNP believe it and start to behave like it’s true.

But what is really wrong at the bottom of Scottish politics is the electoral system pointlessly and stupidly designed that it’s so hard for winners to have a majority, no one can win, they have to team up others for majority and the compromise with bizarre hairstyles.

If you compromise with crazy hairstyles, it’s like you are wearing crazy hairstyles.

Change the system to give winners a seat bonus, so easier for winners to have majority, so governing is easier not a Clash of the Titans quest every time.

Simples. Sorted. Jenny Gilruth easily has best hair in Scottish Politics. And my posts are a boon to this blog.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,104

Survation just put out a final call for London, 45 26 to Khan but Fieldwork 18 to 23 April

Why did they bother . The fieldwork is a week old .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Survation just put out a final call for London, 45 26 to Khan but Fieldwork 18 to 23 April

They saw some memes from 2017 and.........
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,557
    edited May 1
    OldKingCole said "I don’t agree; you know where you are with Iran!"

I'm not sure just how stable Iran is. The regime has lost much popular support, and has mismanaged the economy, terribly. (I don't think either the US or the UK should actively work to destabilize the regime, since that is nearly certain to backfire, but I don't see why we can't do a little more to publicize the regime's failures.

One of those recent failures is especially signficant: There was a big terrorist attack in Iran recently -- which we had warned them about, in advance.)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    Women would, however, die on illegal operating tables with messed up abortions. But hey, women, surprised they are allowed to vote really.
    I'm not enthusing about Trump. But would you really rather be a woman in Iran than a hypothetical second-term Trump America?
    I would rather not be a woman in either. Having a President who thinks pussy grabbing is ok because he is famous really isn't ok either. Hopefully, the women of America will make this question moot.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    The Court naturally looks after its own, none of them want to be held accountable - apparently its the only branch of government which is not allowed to be interferred with by any others.

Thomas is just looking to get as many 'gifts' from friends as he can, and look for opportunities to lean on the scales for Trump on behalf of his coup loving wife.

In any case, even if one quit or died now the GOP would push any confirmation past the election, so changing the balance relies on Biden winning regardless.
    The GOP don’t have a senate majority so would find it difficult to affect the process overly much.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,714
    Leon said:

Hah. In Adam Zamoyski’s Napoleon he talks about Napoleon’s attitude to religion (about which bonaparte cared a lot: he was a deist)

Napoleon deeply criticised the French Revolution because it took away the “sense of the numinous”. Those are the words Zamoyski uses

This actually reinforces something I’ve been thinking for a while. I know this will provoke more skeptical and materialist PB-ers, but for a long time I’ve thought I am actually a reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte. And I am increasingly sure it is true, given the plentiful evidence, which I surely don’t need to adduce here

Ricky Gervais Napoleon reincarnation joke:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVbJuPR_pP4
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    edited May 1

How the utter F**k do you make that work. Let people work out for themselves if politicians are lying or not, rather than coming out with forever more criminalisation of saying the “wrong” thing.
  • Options

How the utter F**k do you make that work. Let people work out for themselves if politicians are lying or not, rather than coming out with forever more criminalisation of saying the “wrong” thing.
    It's something an infant school parliament would come up with
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,792
    The best oyster bar in Quimper is OUVERT

I love France. They have a really good attitude to public holidays and a very sensible method of keeping the important fish restaurants open nonetheless so rich people like me can eat expensive seafood forcing the poor wait staff to
    surrender their only day with the family

C’est brilliant
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148

I'm not sure just how stable Iran is. The regime has lost much popular support, and has mismanaged the economy, terribly. (I don't think either the US or the UK should actively work to destabilize the regime, since that is nearly certain to backfire, but I don't see why we can't do a little more to publicize the regime's failures.

One of those recent failures is especially signficant: There was a big terrorist attack in Iran recently -- which we had warned them about, in advance.)

Fair comment. Good points.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,288
    Leon said:

If true, that does mean - of course - that Christianity is completely wrong.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471

Remember it is the Senedd - no need to say anymore
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,157

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

SNP survives no confidence vote, so avoid crashing into an election campaign, for now... over to the party to choose it's next leader

So the new leader just needs a pact with the Greens then. Is there a template for that?
    I don’t think you can just reheat the BHA. Besides why wouldn’t the Greens extract more from the SNP for a redo? I suspect that the reason neither Swinney nor Forbes have yet dived into the contest is that they can count and they understand the political implications of the sums.
    SNP need the Greens. No other party can likely provide the support they need and if they go into an election it will almost make the numbers more difficult for them again.

For their part, the Greens have significant buying power they are unlikely to retain if they force an election.

That's the basis of a deal. I suspect that deal will look significantly similar to the BHA because the sums essentially dictate it.
    It's in both their interests to make something work, so they probably will, simple as. Doesn't need to even be that formal.
    I am going to wade into Scottish politics, despite last time I was in Scotland it was virtue of walking along top Hadrian’s Wall on a school trip, and shouted at to get down, you are not allowed to walk on it - so likely to get the same response.

Here’s my position.

Even in old pictures of Sturgeon signing deal with the Greens, the Greens woman still has insane hair that makes her look like Medusa. I appreciate Medusa is a sad tale, and Medusa’s need our sympathy for the bad press and flak put up with. Even so, has the SNP lost support because of coalition with the Greens, and could do with some time away from people with such crazy hair and other crazy bits, to restore SNP lost popularity?

It doesn’t matter if that’s true or not, alongs SNP believe it and start to behave like it’s true.

But what is really wrong at the bottom of Scottish politics is the electoral system pointlessly and stupidly designed that it’s so hard for winners to have a majority, no one can win, they have to team up others for majority and the compromise with bizarre hairstyles.

If you compromise with crazy hairstyles, it’s like you are wearing crazy hairstyles.

Change the system to give winners a seat bonus, so easier for winners to have majority, so governing is easier not a Clash of the Titans quest every time.

Simples. Sorted. Jenny Gilruth easily has best hair in Scottish Politics. And my posts are a boon to this blog.
    Lambing now done. I assume, now you are back with the fashion assessment!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,185

Who is going to decide what constitutes a lie, and how are they going to do it?
  • Options

Well, it is being championed by Adam Price!
  • Options
    edited May 1

Fair comment. Good points.
    I did wonder given how many of our Americans keep telling us on PB that their own "regime has lost much popular support, and has mismanaged the economy, terribly."
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,018
    nico679 said:

11/1 with odds boost for Hall 20-25% with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    THIS is the way to bow out at the end of an amazing French adventure. Even better there’s a waitress weeping in the corner because she can’t see her only child on this public holiday coz people like me demand oysters. That’s how it should be. I salute her sacrifice. Indeed I’m toasting her now with a fine Viognier

• Options

Remember it is the Senedd - no need to say anymore
    I'm amazed it doesn't come with some sort of quota system and a tag on of another 120 AMs
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Andy_JS said:

The judgement in the case of Alistair Carmichael over his story about Ms Sturgeon and the French Consul makes instructive reading. Well recommended if you haven't seen it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Perhaps they need an executive department to help with that.

I don’t know, something like the “Ministry of Truth”. That has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Hadrians Wall is, IIRC, almost entirely in England. Both sides!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,412

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Well we could go to back to FPTP..

• Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Lambing grew arms and legs.

And a chesty wheezy cough I still can’t make disappear.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,204

Leon said:

Red Dwarf reincarnation joke

Rimmer : I'll tell you something. Something I've never told anyone. When I was fifteen, I went to Macedonia on a school trip, to the site of Alexander The Great's palace. And for the first time in my whole life, I felt ... I felt I was home. This place was where I belonged. Years later, I got friendly with a hypnotherapist - Donald - and told him about the Alexander the Great thing, and he said that he'd regress me back through my past lives. I was dubious, but I let him put me under. It turned out my instincts were absolutely correct. I had lived a past life in Macedonia. That palace was my home. Because, believe it or not, Lister, he told me that, in a past incarnation, I was Alexander the Great's chief eunuch.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 1
    Betfair local markets have all moved in the direction of the Conservatives over the last few days:

- Street now favourite (albeit a narrow one). Lab favourite up until yesterday.
    - Houchen now strong favourite. Labour can be backed at 4-1.
    - Conservatives to lose under 500 seats is now favourite. More than 500 losses was favourite until yesterday.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fucking May Day. So every business in France shuts and no one has any where to go on the one day everyone is on holiday. How fucking stupid is that. The French are twats

You think it unusual that people in businesses don't work on a public holiday? What (and who) do you think public holidays are for?
    Somehow in Britain we manage to have a public holiday without shuttering every business in the country so the holiday becomes a miserable hunt for the one place which is still open, which is then horribly overcrowded, stressing out the staff and the customers. Idiots
    Apart from Christmas Day. You are not allowed to enjoy yourself on Christmas Day
    Eh? Half the pubs and restos in town open on Christmas Day...
  • Options

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

The Tory manifesto did say they would support FPTP, and they used that line as justification to change mayoral election rules, so surley they'd support that.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Wholly so, unless the Solway is Scottish or Mannx territorial water, I think!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps they need an executive department to help with that.

I don’t know, something like the “Ministry of Truth”. That has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?
    Snopes will fact check everything
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Lambing grew arms and legs.

And a chesty wheezy cough I still can’t make disappear.
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

Politics without lies is quite hard to imagine. Eg Boris Johnson would have been a man of very few words. Almost mute.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Rimmer : I'll tell you something. Something I've never told anyone. When I was fifteen, I went to Macedonia on a school trip, to the site of Alexander The Great's palace. And for the first time in my whole life, I felt ... I felt I was home. This place was where I belonged. Years later, I got friendly with a hypnotherapist - Donald - and told him about the Alexander the Great thing, and he said that he'd regress me back through my past lives. I was dubious, but I let him put me under. It turned out my instincts were absolutely correct. I had lived a past life in Macedonia. That palace was my home. Because, believe it or not, Lister, he told me that, in a past incarnation, I was Alexander the Great's chief eunuch.
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Haha, That’s good

Red Dwarf at its best was superbly funny. Chris Barrie = neglected comic genius
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Politics without lies is quite hard to imagine. Eg Boris Johnson would have been a man of very few words. Almost mute.
    People lie with face and body all the time too.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,470
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

11/1 with odds boost for Hall 20-25% with Ladbrokes.
    Your money is certainly not safer on Susan.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

So you are saying not entirely in England, I did enter Scotland? 🙂
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Betfair local markets have all moved in the direction of the Conservatives over the last few days:

- Conservatives to lose under 500 seats is now favourite. More than 500 losses was favourite until yesterday.

Except London, which has moved even further away from Susan Hall.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

So you are saying not entirely in England, I did enter Scotland? 🙂
    If memory services I don't think any of it is in Scotland.
  • Options
    I’m preparing for significant amounts of egg on my face, but I think Susan Hall will run Khan to within a 5% gap.

London mayoral elections have a tendency to be closer than the polls suggest.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fucking May Day. So every business in France shuts and no one has any where to go on the one day everyone is on holiday. How fucking stupid is that. The French are twats

They should rename it Lockdown Day and cordon bleu off the park benches
    Jesus Christ:

Don't give the politicians ideas. Before you know it, there'll be a public holiday where we're all confined to our homes in recognition of the great struggle with Covid.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

You think it unusual that people in businesses don't work on a public holiday? What (and who) do you think public holidays are for?
    Somehow in Britain we manage to have a public holiday without shuttering every business in the country so the holiday becomes a miserable hunt for the one place which is still open, which is then horribly overcrowded, stressing out the staff and the customers. Idiots

If I could come back as Napoleon (spoiler: I have) I’d fix this first, and pronto
    Errr no:

Napolean came back as you.

Poor bastard.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,060

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Yeah. I live 18 miles north of it.
    And still well over an hour from Scotland.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,033
    MikeL said:

Labour 4:1 against Houchen could be tempting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Haha, That’s good

Red Dwarf at its best was superbly funny. Chris Barrie = neglected comic genius
    I recently watched the later seasons they made on Dave. Not all great, sure, but some of the episodes are surprisingly good after so much time from the original run. And included one of my favourite lines, which perfectly captures the setting and somewhat dark undertone of the reality of them travelling around for years through deep space.

Kryten: "That's the second moon with lifesigns we've passed in the last decade. I had no idea this region of space was so lively!"
    Lister: Yeah, it's mental round here Kryten, never get a monent's peace!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,875

I hope this is accompanied by a massive, tax funded Office of Truth who will audit the truth and punish wrongsayers
    I will accept the onerous duty of running said OoT

1) my salary will be £10 million per year
    2) the appointment is for life.
    3) golden hello of another £10 million
    4) I undertake to have no knowledge of, or accountability for, any action take by the OoT.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

People lie with face and body all the time too.
    They do. Tough to prove that in court though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.

They can't push confirmation back, because the Senate is in the hands of the Democrats.

After the election, the Senate will almost certainly be in the hands of Republicans, so it will be all but impossible - even if there was a Democratic President - for him to seat a new Supreme Court Justice.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If I could come back as Napoleon (spoiler: I have) I’d fix this first, and pronto
    Errr no:

Poor bastard.
    Bit of a comedown for the great man.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,104
    edited May 1
    MikeL said:

Street favourite not a shock after the Tories suddenly decided to wait till 24 hrs before the vote to report the Labour candidate to the police over where he lives ! Houchen really would be a huge shock to lose given he was miles ahead at the previous election. The Tories probably hope their 24 hrs of Rwanda spin will help and they now have the added benefit of videos from the Home Office , perhaps they might do even better if they showed the asylum seekers being shot or gassed !

The Tories become more loathsome by the day .
  • Options
    edited May 1

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

There are types of PR that award winners a seat bonus to help them govern - is it Greece that does this? That’s probably all it needs.

Whatever SNP stand for - and to get the sort of win in your image it should only be from large support from left right and centre - a SNP/Green coalition is a chimera, not a pure SNP government.

If in Westminster Cameron or Starmer coalition with LibDem, the argument could be made it’s to take power from their own MPs, on the extremes.

But should being in with the Greens get all the blame for SNP loss in popularity? Has not the SNP been controlled by a clique, governing from a particular area of the political spectrum, making mistakes in government, been in power too long, and likely whiff of corruption by this clique too? Why should coalition with Greens get all the blame? It’s just the cycle of things isn’t it? Something a former poster (who I think got themselves banned) assured us Scotland and SNP were above how popularity and political power goes in cycles.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ:

Don't give the politicians ideas. Before you know it, there'll be a public holiday where we're all confined to our homes in recognition of the great struggle with Covid.
    Mask Day. Or as Nippy would have it Face Covering Day
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,067
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ:

We will, however, be expected to go out for 5 minutes to clap the NHS, even if we are immobile and on a waiting list for a new hip or knee.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    You would be surprised how many people say "both sides are just as bad as each other. Democrats want unrestricted access to abortion until birth".
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ:

Clap Day.

Though that does sound somewhat unpleasant.
  • Options

I will accept the onerous duty of running said OoT

1) my salary will be £10 million per year
    2) the appointment is for life.
    3) golden hello of another £10 million
    4) I undertake to have no knowledge of, or accountability for, any action take by the OoT.
    Sorry, @Malmesbury, but the job has already been offered to Paula Vennells.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Errr no:

Poor bastard.
    We can dispute the semantics but I am glad you accept the principle. I am literally the reincarnation of Napoleon

Now, I don’t wan to get all ME ME ME about this, so I’m not going to bang on. About me being the reincarnation of Napoleon
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,124
    nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Street favourite not a shock after the Tories suddenly decided to wait till 24 hrs before the vote to report the Labour candidate to the police over where he lives ! Houchen really would be a huge shock to lose given he was miles ahead at the previous election. The Tories probably hope their 24 hrs of Rwanda spin will help and they now have the added benefit of videos from the Home Office , perhaps they might do even better if they showed the asylum seekers being shot or gassed !

The Tories become more loathsome by the day .
    The story I've heard is that Teesworks is in such a mess that Labour would prefer Ben Houchen to be in place when they get the Audit Office in to ensure all the pain rests with him....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

America funds the IDF.
    Neither, frankly.
    You would be surprised how many people say "both sides are just as bad as each other. Democrats want unrestricted access to abortion until birth".
    And after birth!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ:

We will, however, be expected to go out for 5 minutes to clap the NHS, even if we are immobile and on a waiting list for a new hip or knee.
    And post video of it on social media alongside a crayon drawing of a rainbow and 'love our NHS' up the front window
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Errr no:

Poor bastard.
    We can dispute the semantics but I am glad you accept the principle.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ:

Clap Day.

Though that does sound somewhat unpleasant.
    The only TV programme on will be hourly repeats of 'Sir Patrick Vallance's Great British Pandemics'
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,686
    Leon said:

The best oyster bar in Quimper is OUVERT

I love France. They have a really good attitude to public holidays and a very sensible method of keeping the important fish restaurants open nonetheless so rich people like me can eat expensive seafood forcing the poor wait staff to
    surrender their only day with the family

C’est brilliant

'Wait staff' sounds very American. Ugh.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,731

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

It is absolutely entirely in England, though one of the finest ways to Scotland is to come off the Roman wall road at Greenhead and head for Langholm on the back road, a magical journey into nowhere.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan

🚨 Susan Hall is the most dangerous candidate I've ever faced.

Before you give her an X, read her X.

A thread:
    She supports hard-right politicians, and holds extreme, deeply concerning views.
    She's a climate change denier and doesn't consider herself a feminist."

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1785656529749790935

Oh come on Sadiq, it didn't work when your opponents tried to paint you as a dangerous extremist, it won't work the other way round either.

Even if its all true, how 'dangerous' can a London Mayor be?
    He's interesting he's going so hard on her this late in the day.

From the way that's written and what it emphasises it's not directed at those who might be tempted to vote for her but driving turnout amongst his base.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Taz said:

You mean they aren't in favour of deindustrialisation and population reduction?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Immigration is surging, with big economic consequences
    The West faces an unprecedented number of new arrivals

The rich world is in the midst of an unprecedented migration boom. Last year 3.3m more people moved to America than left, almost four times typical levels in the 2010s. Canada took in 1.9m immigrants. Britain welcomed 1.2m people and Australia 740,000. In each country the number was greater than ever before. For Australia and Canada net migration is more than double pre-covid levels. In Britain the intake is 3.5 times that of 2019."

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/04/30/immigration-is-surging-with-big-economic-consequences

That's so Economist "with big economic consequences" like there are none other than matter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    25% favourable rating isn't great for Rayner though. Well below that for Starmer and Labour overall
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,714
    Reader’s Digest UK closes due to ‘unforgiving’ magazine landscape
    The magazine's editor said it has "come to an end" in the UK after 86 years.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/magazines/readers-digest-uk-closure/

End of an era. No-one I knew bought it and yet somehow it was always around.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    Disappointed none of you Philistines have picked up on my subtle Shakespeare reference.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459

Reader’s Digest UK closes due to ‘unforgiving’ magazine landscape
    The magazine's editor said it has "come to an end" in the UK after 86 years.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/magazines/readers-digest-uk-closure/

End of an era. No-one I knew bought it and yet somehow it was always around.

I haven’t seen a copy for years. My grandparents had it but they passed away 20 years ago or more.
  • Options
    My sense is Khan barely edges 40% of the vote, but it will be close.

Not sure where Hall will end up. Probably OK. Bailey was pretty crap and still massively overperformed.

Khan is the British Ted Cruz.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,514
    Rishi has had an excellent ten days. Operation Vector's videoed performative cruelty was particularly enlightening.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    DavidL said:

Forbes and Swinney in informal talks. If he offered her the Finance brief back....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68939241

What today has proved is that any leader of the SNP has to have Green support or there is an exceptional election. Forbes is not going to get it so she really ought to be in a position to trade.

I think you are misreading the situation.

What today has shown is that the Greens do not want there to be an early election, in the same way as turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Greens know that they are in a privileged position currently and any election will worsen their hand.

Yousaf fell not because he fell out with the Greens, but because he rudely spurned them and to paraphrase hell hath no fury like those who are spurned.

Forbes would not be the Greens choice, but that is by the by. If the SNP vote for Forbes then the Greens will face the choice of working with Forbes where they can with an SNP minority government, or vote for an early election from which the Greens can only lose significance. They know which side their bread is buttered on and will do the former, so long as Forbes isn't obnoxiously rude to them in the way that Yousaf was.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Leon said:

Well you are a short arse

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,260
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@bbclaurak

Here’s my position.

Yeah. I live 18 miles north of it.
    And still well over an hour from Scotland.
    I once chatted to a man near the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway. He had moved from England to live there, and had moved south. His previous home had been north of Newcastle on the east coast.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Leon said:

Leon said:

In the sense that someone who has led a bad life gets reincarnated as a snail?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,719

I’m preparing for significant amounts of egg on my face, but I think Susan Hall will run Khan to within a 5% gap.

London mayoral elections have a tendency to be closer than the polls suggest.

Well, the system was changed in her favour by Mr Johnson. Ifshe does not come close, it will be sheer ingratitude on her part.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

Leon said:

Well you are a short arse

Small dick syndrome, reborn.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Ash Regan isn't popular with Nats after voting with the Tories and Labour today in the vote of confidence.

https://twitter.com/indy_swim/status/1785699433386049807
  • Options
    Honestly Mayday in France is mad. It’s like the whole country goes into mourning. Who died?

This is the main square of lovely Quimper. Normally bustling and full of joie de vivre

Who gains from this enforced desolation? The workers? I don’t think so. They already have plentiful rights to holidays and weekends etc. So this is just a self defeating day of ennui

• Options
    Perhaps they are all at home quietly reflecting in secular chapels on the success of atheist Marxism
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,607

Sky News
    @SkyNews
    'I don't believe in Rwanda scheme.'

Speaking exclusively to Sky's
    @BethRigby , Sir @Keir_Starmer
    expressed a desire to implement Labour's own plan to tackle small boat crossings by targeting the criminal networks that enable them.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1785722839313588572
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,204
    edited May 1
    StatsForLefties prediction for the PCCs:

25 (+14) Lab
    15 (-15) Con
    02 (+02) Lib
    00 (-01) Oth

https://x.com/LeftieStats
    https://statsforlefties.wordpress.com/2024-elections-pccs/

• Options
    Leon said:

Honestly Mayday in France is mad. It’s like the whole country goes into mourning. Who died?

This is the main square of lovely Quimper. Normally bustling and full of joie de vivre

Who gains from this enforced desolation? The workers? I don’t think so. They already have plentiful rights to holidays and weekends etc. So this is just a self defeating day of ennui

May Day is the day of international communism. Quarters-bound misery is compulsory, comrade
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819
    Is their a website somewhere with a list of when we can expect the results? I'm assuming the London Mayor one will be massively delayed as it always is and won't announce until Saturday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Perhaps they are all at home quietly reflecting in secular chapels on the success of atheist Marxism

Perhaps they are all standing in a queue at Mont St. Michel.
  • Options
    edited May 1

Hahaha! Politicians slag off lawyers then bring in laws like this which will keep the profession in gravy for years to come.

Sure, ban lying. and people will automatically tell the truth. Why has no-one thought of this before? No need to think about enforcement. Not a chance of an untruth now we’ve banned it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

A cursory glance at my Who’s Who entry will confirm that as one of my hobbies.
This discussion has been closed.