Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere wellIt were done quickly – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    kinabalu said:

Who next then? No betfair market yet.

I've put a tenner on Kate Forbes at 5/2 with William Hill. Now in to 2/1.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Good riddance and fuck off to Humza “WHITE!!” Yousaf. An odious race baiter and a piece of dreck

I thought as a self confessed racist apparently in fear of being cancelled that you would have some sympathy?
    Tut tut

Also *points and sniggers at your party and cause*
    Since you hate your party and think your main 'cause', the UK, is a shithole, there's quite a lot of sniggering going on.
    Er, they’re really not “my party” not remotely. And absolutely not in the way the SNP is yours

As for “shit-hole” hmm sometimes. Britain can be dreary and yet it can also be sublime. France is definitely more beautiful; British people are funnier; France has nicer towns; we have the English language. England also owns Scotland with its fabulous islands and mountains so yah boo sucks to France

England 'owns' Scotland? Damn good job Malc's not around!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587

TOPPING said:

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE THIS WHOLE WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO SCOTLAND THING GO AWAY.

No one cares ffs.

I would suggest Starmer cares very much
    You would be wrong Big G. He says he cares and electorally it might be important but he couldn't care less about Scotland.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694

TOPPING said:

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE THIS WHOLE WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO SCOTLAND THING GO AWAY.

No one cares ffs.

I just hope that Starmer is saving some of the wishes he's been given by the genie for after he becomes PM.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,730
    TOPPING said:

No one cares ffs.

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom, and this is a United Kingdom politics site.
    Until and unless that changes, whilst certain people might not care (I don't care about Merbyn Kernow for instance) it's right to discuss it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    edited April 29

Scott_xP said:

@blairmcdougall

If Swinney takes over it is an acknowledgment that the SNP is headed for significant losses. A year ago he said he’d been trying to step down front the frontline since 2016. A new leader would immediately face disaster, Swinney is expendable as he’s already resigned.

There are other explanations. Everyone can see that he's a temporary leader, and so it gives the SNP time to work out who should hear them for the long term, rather than making the decision in a hurry and an atmosphere of crisis.
    There is going to be a contest. If Swinney wins, that's it
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,030
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

The guardian is claiming Forbes would be “overwhelming favourite” to win with the members. Is that true? She’s really quite right and the party is quite left

But I do not understand the inner workings of the Nats. She would struggle to form a government without the greens and then she’d surely have to call an election which she would likely lose
    Perhaps somebody non-divisive who can quieten things down for a period while the party decides where it wants to go on independence strategy and general political positioning.
    It doesn’t seem wise to go into a general election with a leader devoid of opinions on the key issues! Putting these things off doesn’t work. The party needs to pick an approach and then rally around a leader who is going to deliver that approach.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    A very weird part of this contest is that the Greens and Alba will essentially be calling the shots in this election. They will be asked for their opinion at every turn. That might have unintended consequences/effects on the way the votes fall, if there is a contest and not a coronation.

For that reason, this isn’t a market I feel very comfortable wading into.
  • Options
    @benrileysmith

Scottish Greens offer an olive branch to the next Scottish first minister

Statement just issued from co-leader Patrick Harvie is notably conciliatory in tone

Opens the door to Scottish Greens supporting the next FM and working with SNP… if their policy goals are delivered
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 789
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

The guardian is claiming Forbes would be “overwhelming favourite” to win with the members. Is that true? She’s really quite right and the party is quite left

But I do not understand the inner workings of the Nats. She would struggle to form a government without the greens and then she’d surely have to call an election which she would likely lose
    If she's so inclined to try and change her party she would be more sensible to do so from opposition. I think you're right in that there is no way she could lead the party right now without losing the support of a whole chunk of them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

She'd be fav in a contest, I'd have thought. But will they prefer to avoid one?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,591

TOPPING said:

No one cares ffs.

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom, and this is a United Kingdom politics site.
    Until and unless that changes, whilst certain people might not care (I don't care about Merbyn Kernow for instance) it's right to discuss it.
    We're long overdue a header on MK :disappointed:
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Perhaps somebody non-divisive who can quieten things down for a period while the party decides where it wants to go on independence strategy and general political positioning.
    It doesn’t seem wise to go into a general election with a leader devoid of opinions on the key issues! Putting these things off doesn’t work. The party needs to pick an approach and then rally around a leader who is going to deliver that approach.
    But maybe it'd be better not to rush that. They'll score a decent number of Westminster seats in any event and the next Holyrood isn't until 2026.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    Andy_JS said:

Jim Sillars on Sky News: Humza a follower, not a leader.

Jim Sillars, a deputy leader for a year followed by 32 years of noisy impotence.

Scotland will be free when the last bitter old man is strangled by the last copy of Harry Potter and the Trans Dementors.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    During election campaigns the incumbent party has tended to lose ground to the opposition - partly because the latter then receives equal media coverage by broadcasters etc. Swingback as such really only tends to apply to the period leading up to the formal election campaign itself.
    Hmm.
    Ydoethur said -
    'Not true of 1964, 1970, Oct 1974, 1983, 1992, 1997 or 2005.

I think that’s an oversimplification.'

Re - the examples referred to there.

1964 - The election was announced in Mid-September. In the period to the end of September 5 polls had the Tories ahead with leads ranging from 0.2% to 4.0%. A single random Gallup poll had a Labour lead of 4.5%.. Polling Day was October 15th and only in the final 2 weeks did Labour edge back into the lead it had enjoyed until late Summer. That saw 5 polls with Labour leads in the range of 0.1% to 8% and 4 Tory leads which ranged from 0.8% to 3.6%..
    The result on 15th October across GB saw a Labour lead of 1.9% - a better outcome for the party than suggested by most polls a month earlier at the outset of the campaign.The swingback to Douglas-Home and the Tories which had been evident in August and early September had been reversed.

1970 - The election was announced on May 18th to be held on June 18th.In mid- May polls recorded Labour leads in the range of 3.2% - 7.5%.The final week of the campaign saw 6 Labour leads ranging from 2% to 9.6% with a single eve of poll from ORC showing a 1% Tory lead.
    The result on 18th June was a Tory lead across GB of 2.4% - a clear swing to the Opposition party compared with what polls had implied a month earlier.

Oct 1974 - The election was announced in mid-September to be held on October 10th. Polls were recording Labour leads in the range of 4% -14% whilst a single NOP poll showed a 1% Tory lead. The final week saw Labour leads of 5.5% - 14.5%.
    The result on October 10th saw a Labour lead in GB of 3.6%. The Labour lead had narrowed during the campaign..

1983 - The election was announced on May 9th to be held on June 9th. At the outset polls recorded Tory leads of 10% - 17.5% .
    The outcome on 9th June was a Tory GB lead of 15.2% . Whilst that was little changed from the margin indicated a month earlier both major parties lost vote shares during the campaign period to the Alliance. The Labour opposition did not benefit though the the Tories overall lost support during the campaign to the Lib/SDP Alliance

1992 - This election did not fit the pattern at all, but - as was to be the case in 2015 - serious polling methodological issues were later identified. A consensus has emerged to the effect that the Tories were actually ahead throughout both campaigns - and ,for that reason, analysis is difficult and unlikely to be productive.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,625

Andy_JS said:

Not enough money for new trains on the Central Line.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/transport/exactly-london-underground-revamped-central-28845199

"TfL has revealed when the next revamped Central line trains will enter service on the London Underground. The 1992 stock is being upgraded as part of a £500 million programme.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, and TfL bosses say a brand new fleet of trains is not possible as they have not been given enough cash by central government. Instead, carriages are being renovated with new seats, LED lighting, CCTV and IT systems.

A new moquette, wheels and motors are also being installed. However, engineers told MyLondon in November that technical constraints mean that it is not possible to fit air conditioning."

Meanwhile, up here in levelling up land, we have Class 150, 156 and 158 DMUs that all entered service prior to 1992.
    Ay-up! We have Bakerloo line trains down 'ere in London wot entered service in 1972! Piccadilly line not far behind in 1973.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No one cares ffs.

I just hope that Starmer is saving some of the wishes he's been given by the genie for after he becomes PM.
    Yes if he gets the same good fortune in government as he's had in opposition we truly are in for that Decade of National Renewal.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    1997 - This election possibly best fits present circumstances
    Labour won a landslide majority on1st May and a GB lead of 13% across GB. This was actually well short of the leads being recorded in late March when the election announcement took place when polls were recording Labour leads in the range of 21% - 25.5%. It also bears similarity to what was seen in 1966 , 1983 and was to be seen again in 2001 when massive overwhelming polling leads were not reflected in the final outcome with the winning party's polling lead having been exaggerated.

The 1979 election also merits some consideration . Whilst Callaghan lost decisively by 7.1% on May 3rd, that margin was a fair bit short of what polls had been recording in mid - late March prior to the fall of the Labour government. However, that probably simply reflected some recovery from the depths of Labour unpopularity in January and February at the peak of the Winter of Discontent - perhaps similar to the Tory recovery at the end of 2022 when Sunak replaced Truss. Over a longer period the Tories did improve their position in May 1979 compared with what polls had been showing throughout 1978. September & October 1978 had actually seen Labour 5% or so ahead according to Gallup!
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

No one cares ffs.

We're long overdue a header on MK :disappointed:
    Milton Keynes, it was the future once.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,913
    All Hail Mr Trump:

(It's the Re-Truth that is the concern here.)

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342
    For Scottish Nationalists, is Alex Salmond the hero or villain in all of this?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,322

Leon said:

Who do the SNP have who can recover their fortunes? Anyone obvious? The fact they found a Humza isn't promising - very reminiscent of the Cons and La Truss.

I don’t think there is anyone. Like the Tories in Westminster they need to go into opposition now for a bit. Some time away might actually help them, particularly if Labour lead the UK and Scottish governments - they stand a good chance of capitalising when they come unstuck.

People seem to really rate Forbes on here. I think she’s OK, I just don’t think she’s going to do anything to help them right now, she will just start a big debate in the party over social policy and there’ll be a risk that they lose support on the left to the Greens and Labour… she also can’t command a majority.
    I really rate Forbes but then I would. She’s obviously centre right and quite unwoke. I fear she’d be good and intelligent and drive Indy again; I console myself that the Nats are too bats and too left wing to tolerate her. Also she’s better off waiting for the two election defeats to pass before making another bid: if she is so minded

So who else?
    Forbes might help the cause in the long term by galvanising a more centrist vision of independence away from Nicola’s Coalition of All The Social Justice Warriors, but I don’t foresee her being a success in the short term.
    She is not going to be loved by the central belt lefties. Labour will clean up a whole load of seats, and the SNP will end up looking more like the pre-Salmond SNP: more rural, more tartan Tory and less numerous.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

If she's so inclined to try and change her party she would be more sensible to do so from opposition. I think you're right in that there is no way she could lead the party right now without losing the support of a whole chunk of them.
    Is it not possible that they have already lost that chunk.of support because of their positioning over the last couple of years and Forbes could start to reverse that.?
  • Options

For Scottish Nationalists, is Alex Salmond the hero or villain in all of this?

@KevinASchofield

Yousaf: "I am not willing to trade my values and principles, or do a deal with whoever, simply for retaining power."

Alex Salmond - the persona non grata of Scottish politics.
  • Options
    @SkyNews

Following Humza Yousaf's resignation as Scotland's First Minister, Alba Party's Ash Regan MSP has said it is 'bizarre' that he quit rather than working with her and her party, to survive a potential no-confidence vote.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aye.

• Options
    @holyroodmandy

Still puzzled as to what the FM was referring to when he said he wasn't "prepared to trade his values & principles simply to retain power" when what Ash Regan was asking for was "protecting the dignity, safety & rights of women & children, & providing a competent government".
  • Options
    First Varadkar, now Yousaf. Rishi next?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,856
    edited April 29
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Kate Forbes has a head start, has already declared she wants to be FM and is the only one of the original three candidate replacements for Nicola Sturgeon in the running. Unless those opposed can rally round a Not Forbes candidate in sufficient numbers it looks she will get it by default.

This is a rerun of the Johnson/Truss/Sunak situation. Sturgeon/Humza/Forbes where the middle one blows up in spectacular style.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

But maybe it'd be better not to rush that. They'll score a decent number of Westminster seats in any event and the next Holyrood isn't until 2026.
    This idea of putting in a leader who will be temporary while the party sorts itself out keeps coming up, either with respect to the SNP or the Tories. I don’t think it’s realistic. It’s not something you see happening in the real world.

Sticking someone in as a leader who is a lame duck from the start isn’t a good look. It’s not going to attract voters to your cause. Having longer to argue over a party’s direction can just make the party look even more divided. A leader who lacks the authority of permanence can do little to prevent the scheming and back-stabbing.

The issues the SNP (or the Tories) need to address aren’t new. The party has been trying to decide where it wants to go for the entirety of Yousaf’s period in office. The same discussions were happening under Sturgeon. I’m no SNP fan, so I’m quite happy for them to go on fighting, but if the party wants to dig itself out of its current hole, I suggest they need to make some decisions and unify under a new leader. I think it would help the SNP to pick someone who can lead them from out of Salmond’s and Sturgeon’s shadow.

Also, whether “[t]hey’ll score a decent number of Westminster seats” is very much up in the air!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,322
    Cyclefree said:

I've just reached Sahagún, the official halfway mark, in nine days, two hours and twenty minutes

Glorious. I really admire you for doing this and love reading your reports.
    Fantastic albergue there... A long haul over the meseta to come though, given you are going backwards. Long haul to Burgos.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@holyroodmandy

Still puzzled as to what the FM was referring to when he said he wasn't "prepared to trade his values & principles simply to retain power" when what Ash Regan was asking for was "protecting the dignity, safety & rights of women & children, & providing a competent government".

'Och lassie, ye know I'd always protect yer dignity, safety and rights. Come over here so I can gie ye a cuddle to prove it.'
  • Options
    Getting described as a 'gamble' gone wrong but a gamble has the potential to pay off - so what would that 'win' have looked like for Humza Yousaf?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,157
    Selebian said:

Andy_JS said:

Not enough money for new trains on the Central Line.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/transport/exactly-london-underground-revamped-central-28845199

"TfL has revealed when the next revamped Central line trains will enter service on the London Underground. The 1992 stock is being upgraded as part of a £500 million programme.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, and TfL bosses say a brand new fleet of trains is not possible as they have not been given enough cash by central government. Instead, carriages are being renovated with new seats, LED lighting, CCTV and IT systems.

A new moquette, wheels and motors are also being installed. However, engineers told MyLondon in November that technical constraints mean that it is not possible to fit air conditioning."

Meanwhile, up here in levelling up land, we have Class 150, 156 and 158 DMUs that all entered service prior to 1992.
    Ay-up! We have Bakerloo line trains down 'ere in London wot entered service in 1972! Piccadilly line not far behind in 1973.
    Don't try to out-Yorkshire us!

These are typical trains on the service from Pickering to Whitby:
    NYMR heritage railway steam train
    I entered service in 1973 and I'm definitely not fit for purpose any more.
  • Options

I've now left León, and having my first beer in Palencia

Poor Leon! He must be heartbroken!
  • Options

The issues the SNP (or the Tories) need to address aren’t new. The party has been trying to decide where it wants to go for the entirety of Yousaf’s period in office. The same discussions were happening under Sturgeon. I’m no SNP fan, so I’m quite happy for them to go on fighting, but if the party wants to dig itself out of its current hole, I suggest they need to make some decisions and unify under a new leader. I think it would help the SNP to pick someone who can lead them from out of Salmond’s and Sturgeon’s shadow.

But the SNP face the same issue as the Tories. Whoever is leader at the next election is going to get mollicated.

They both need a sacrificial lamb, and then they can pick a leader to rebuild from the rubble.

But first, there has to be rubble...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited April 29
    If there is to be “healing of hurt & upset” it must start with the electorate who are not the hateful bigots they are sometimes painted, particularly women’s rights activists. It must also take place within @theSNP. I will support a leader who recognises this

https://x.com/joannaccherry/status/1784904343721750924
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

As all here may be aware, I yield to no one in my left wing, bring 'em all over, that mug is not in my name, sure I may have been at war with and dropping bombs on them but now I am a big fan and support their struggle against the evil oppressor, pro-immigration stance.

But Ireland may inadvertently be giving Rishi the support he needs wrt his immigration/Rwanda policy. Pass a law saying they must go back to the last country they came from, eh? Well I never.

Ireland is in La Francophonie, so Im sure President Macron will do his utmost to help out.
    Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think any French government minister was so dim as to claim credit for asylum seekers crossing the Channel in small boats. None of them said, "you see, our policy to scare asylum seekers to go elsewhere is working," and thereby accept responsibility for it.

Sunak has accepted that his policy dumps asylum seekers on Ireland, that he is essentially in the same position as Belarus, shoving people across the Polish border, and so that puts Ireland in a much stronger position to demand that he does something about it.

If he hadn't been so stupid he would have responded to the Irish claims with a gallic shrug, said that the Rwanda policy was intended to stop the boat crossings, and left British voters to join the dots. But he couldn't help himself.
    A key problem with the Rwanda scheme is that it seems unlikely to work, so Sunak and the policy's supporters have fallen on the Irish government's comments like a thirsty man in a desert finding a spring. The value of someone saying "it's working" (even though they are doing so for their own political reasons) is worth more to Sunak than the cost of having to clear up the mess that follows admitting he's shoving people across the Irish border.
    I can understand opponents to the Rwanda scheme dismissing the Irish development but this is a real issue between Ireland and UK that will draw France and the EU into it and hopefully see cooperation and more importantly determination across thee countries to stop the boats once and for all and make Rwanda scheme redundant

Of course this would be a political result for Sunak but for me stopping the boats is about saving lives at sea not least because our family have lost several family members at sea and why our youngest son is an active RNLI sea going volunteer

Rwanda is all about political posturing. Wasn't it Cummings who suggested it was a smoke screen to cover up another Johnson scandal?

I doubt very much the scheme will stop the boats. There were far more robust mechanisms that could have been explored, but a political win is a political win. The Irish issue which has become an unexpected by product is a Daily Mail win for Sunak. Will the boats stop? Very unlikely, but if 6 boats a day becomes five, Sunak will consider that a win.
    On Friday and Saturday there were 500 recorded small boat arrivals so evidence of a deterrent effect seems rdispute ather absent!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats-last-7-days
    I find it extraordinary that anyone would expect to see an immediate reduction in boat crossings when the smugglers will be desperate to send over as many as possible before the consequences of the legislation become obvious not least as this Irish problem develops and flights take off
    Here’s Tony Blair saying that a lot of asylum seekers are no more than economic migrants playing the system

https://x.com/wayotworld/status/1784633398973092319?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

This idea of putting in a leader who will be temporary while the party sorts itself out keeps coming up, either with respect to the SNP or the Tories. I don’t think it’s realistic. It’s not something you see happening in the real world.

Sticking someone in as a leader who is a lame duck from the start isn’t a good look. It’s not going to attract voters to your cause. Having longer to argue over a party’s direction can just make the party look even more divided. A leader who lacks the authority of permanence can do little to prevent the scheming and back-stabbing.

Also, whether “[t]hey’ll score a decent number of Westminster seats” is very much up in the air!
    You're probably right. One of those 'great in theory only' ideas - like deciding "what Leave looks like" before holding a vote on it.

So on that line of thinking - Forbes will grab it.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    kinabalu said:

Getting described as a 'gamble' gone wrong but a gamble has the potential to pay off - so what would that 'win' have looked like for Humza Yousaf?

Well, quite.

I don’t really know what he was trying to achieve.

I assume he was trying to re-set the perception that he was being led by the unpopular Greens. But then he seems to be on board with most of their agenda, so…

If he wanted to try and recast the relationship with the Greens but make sure he could still run a minority administration, shouldn’t he really have tried to negotiate a revised version of Bute House rather than summoning the Greens to an unceremonious dawn sacking?

If he wanted to work across groups in the Parliament might it not have been a better idea to strike a conciliatory tone in the Chamber rather than blunder about trading political insults?

Doubtless the real story will come out in the fullness of time but as political unforced errors go it was a pretty perplexingly bad one.
  • Options
    Politicians who won't tell their own supporters the truth are politicians who will not succeed. Humza Yousaf leaves office promising that "independence is frustratingly close", thereby proving my point. Delusional

https://x.com/alexmassie/status/1784907047630233646
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aye.

Labour have picked an approach with Starmer. That approach is don’t-scare-the-horses. We all know exactly what Starmer is going to say on any issue. Labour are 100% committed to this approach and it’s working for them.
  • Options

If there is to be “healing of hurt & upset” it must start with the electorate who are not the hateful bigots they are sometimes painted, particularly women’s rights activists. It must also take place within @theSNP. I will support a leader who recognises this

https://x.com/joannaccherry/status/1784904343721750924

Cherry doesn't strike me as someone who learns lessons but let's hope she's learned from the last leadership election. Maybe start with getting folk other than Alex Salmond to back her choice for leader.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,269
    I haven't received a polling card... should I be worried? I know the government is trying to restrict access to voting so is there some hoop I should have jumped through to stop myself being kicked off the register?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    legatus said:

Labour won a landslide majority on1st May and a GB lead of 13% across GB. This was actually well short of the leads being recorded in late March when the election announcement took place when polls were recording Labour leads in the range of 21% - 25.5%. It also bears similarity to what was seen in 1966 , 1983 and was to be seen again in 2001 when massive overwhelming polling leads were not reflected in the final outcome with the winning party's polling lead having been exaggerated.

The 1979 election also merits some consideration . Whilst Callaghan lost decisively by 7.1% on May 3rd, that margin was a fair bit short of what polls had been recording in mid - late March prior to the fall of the Labour government. However, that probably simply reflected some recovery from the depths of Labour unpopularity in January and February at the peak of the Winter of Discontent - perhaps similar to the Tory recovery at the end of 2022 when Sunak replaced Truss. Over a longer period the Tories did improve their position in May 1979 compared with what polls had been showing throughout 1978. September & October 1978 had actually seen Labour 5% or so ahead according to Gallup!

Swingbaaaaaaaaaack! :D
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

But the SNP face the same issue as the Tories. Whoever is leader at the next election is going to get mollicated.

They both need a sacrificial lamb, and then they can pick a leader to rebuild from the rubble.

I would expect SNP to be the biggest party in Holyrood at the next election. Maybe not enough to form a government but still important
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429
    MattW said:

All Hail Mr Trump:

(It's the Re-Truth that is the concern here.)

Even for the MAGA types that is unbelievable
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aye.

Labour have picked an approach with Starmer. That approach is don’t-scare-the-horses. We all know exactly what Starmer is going to say on any issue. Labour are 100% committed to this approach and it’s working for them.
    We all know what Starmer is going to say on any issue?

????

The opposite of what he said the last time he was asked?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694
    legatus said:

Though even in 1997, there was a lot of duff polling- only ICM really had the need to do a Shy Tory Adjustment sorted, and they were getting Lab mid-high 40s and Con very low 30s from a couple of years out.

There was a Lab to Lib campaign effect on top of that, but a) it wasn't huge and b) it didn't work to the Conservatives advantage.
  • Options
    More chaos ahoy. Humza Yousaf does a Sturgeon and announces his intention to resign as FM but not until SNP members (number TBC) have chosen another leader. Stand by for another unedifying dogfight on the cusp of a general election

https://x.com/HTScotPol/status/1784902279084081173
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

More chaos ahoy. Humza Yousaf does a Sturgeon and announces his intention to resign as FM but not until SNP members (number TBC) have chosen another leader. Stand by for another unedifying dogfight on the cusp of a general election

Will there still be a VONC?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If you pick a sacrificial lamb, the electorate will follow your lead and plunge in the knife. You’ve got to at least pretend you think you can win. It’s too late for the Tories, but the next Scottish Parliament might be far enough way for people to forget the SNP’s current travails.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Well, quite.

I assume he was trying to re-set the perception that he was being led by the unpopular Greens. But then he seems to be on board with most of their agenda, so…

If he wanted to try and recast the relationship with the Greens but make sure he could still run a minority administration, shouldn’t he really have tried to negotiate a revised version of Bute House rather than summoning the Greens to an unceremonious dawn sacking?

If he wanted to work across groups in the Parliament might it not have been a better idea to strike a conciliatory tone in the Chamber rather than blunder about trading political insults?

Doubtless the real story will come out in the fullness of time but as political unforced errors go it was a pretty perplexingly bad one.
    Yes I don't really get it. My best guess - he'd identified the association with the 'kooky' Greens as a vote loser so he wanted to loosen that, move the party more to the centre, and at the same time stamp himself as the sort of strong and decisive leader his two predecessors had been.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

I would expect SNP to be the biggest party in Holyrood at the next election. Maybe not enough to form a government but still important
    The crunch question will be how willing SLab will be to work with the SCons. They know anything obvious could screw up their big chance.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,806
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Following Humza Yousaf's resignation as Scotland's First Minister, Alba Party's Ash Regan MSP has said it is 'bizarre' that he quit rather than working with her and her party, to survive a potential no-confidence vote.

SLab would be foolish if they withdrew their VONC in the Scottish Government - it allows them to portray the SNP as puppets dancing to the Scottish Green Party.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071

It would be somewhat amusing if the PM calls a general election in the aftermath of the locals this weekend, so the SNP has to write themselves a manifesto with no leader and no money to campaign.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aye.

????

Not quite. It's more that he says what is politically advantageous at the time. And if that contradicts what he said previously, well that's not a problem for him... :)
  • Options

I haven't received a polling card... should I be worried? I know the government is trying to restrict access to voting so is there some hoop I should have jumped through to stop myself being kicked off the register?

You should’ve received a polling card by now. If you’re on the register, you don’t need a polling card, but you might still want to find out why it hasn’t arrived.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198
    RobD said:

Good question. I don't know the answer, but yes, that's a good point
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,795
    Taz said:

He’s mentioned Gaza.

The goal against Scotland at Euro 96?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    edited April 29
    I was right - Yousaf did mention Gaza in his resignation speech.

Leo Varadkar, Ireland - GONE
    Humza Yousaf, Scotland - GONE

Next...

Pedro Sanchez, Spain -SOON GONE?
    Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa - SOON GONE?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,385

You should’ve received a polling card by now. If you’re on the register, you don’t need a polling card, but you might still want to find out why it hasn’t arrived.
    Probably Royal Mail's fault!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429

Taz said:

He’s mentioned Gaza.

He didn’t mention Gary McAllisters penalty miss.
  • Options
    edited April 29
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well, quite.

Yes I don't really get it. My best guess - he'd identified the association with the 'kooky' Greens as a vote loser so he wanted to loosen that, move the party more to the centre, and at the same time stamp himself as the sort of strong and decisive leader his two predecessors had been.
    The twitter conspiracy theorists say it was a Machiavellian SPAD who wanted Humza gone. I always prefer stupidity over conspiracies so I favour stupid fucking SPADS who came up with the cunning plan and stupid fucking Humza who bought it.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aye.

????

isam, we know you have your own perspective on Starmer.

I think the rest of us know what Starmer is going to say on any issue. His answer will be non-committal, promise not to reverse any Conservative policy, but include some vague hope of doing things better than the Tories, which the electorate will lap up because it’s very easy to believe he can deliver something better than the Tories.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,806
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Kate Forbes has a head start, has already declared she wants to be FM and is the only one of the original three candidate replacements for Nicola Sturgeon in the running. Unless those opposed can rally round a Not Forbes candidate in sufficient numbers it looks she will get it by default.

This is a rerun of the Johnson/Truss/Sunak situation. Sturgeon/Humza/Forbes where the middle one blows up in spectacular style.
    Forbes is unacceptable to Harvie/Slater axis and even some of her own party, would be reliant on Ash Regan's vote to be installed as FM, and could well find it impossible to get a budget passed if the Greens objected.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033

Probably something to do with the Royal Mail being crap. Which why I was annoyed to find out I can't just pop my postal ballot through the letterbox at the council offices, for some reason. (It's next to the pub, so fairly convenient)
  • Options

Taz said:

He’s mentioned Gaza.

I was there for that.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    isam said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

As all here may be aware, I yield to no one in my left wing, bring 'em all over, that mug is not in my name, sure I may have been at war with and dropping bombs on them but now I am a big fan and support their struggle against the evil oppressor, pro-immigration stance.

But Ireland may inadvertently be giving Rishi the support he needs wrt his immigration/Rwanda policy. Pass a law saying they must go back to the last country they came from, eh? Well I never.

Ireland is in La Francophonie, so Im sure President Macron will do his utmost to help out.
    Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think any French government minister was so dim as to claim credit for asylum seekers crossing the Channel in small boats. None of them said, "you see, our policy to scare asylum seekers to go elsewhere is working," and thereby accept responsibility for it.

Sunak has accepted that his policy dumps asylum seekers on Ireland, that he is essentially in the same position as Belarus, shoving people across the Polish border, and so that puts Ireland in a much stronger position to demand that he does something about it.

If he hadn't been so stupid he would have responded to the Irish claims with a gallic shrug, said that the Rwanda policy was intended to stop the boat crossings, and left British voters to join the dots. But he couldn't help himself.
    A key problem with the Rwanda scheme is that it seems unlikely to work, so Sunak and the policy's supporters have fallen on the Irish government's comments like a thirsty man in a desert finding a spring. The value of someone saying "it's working" (even though they are doing so for their own political reasons) is worth more to Sunak than the cost of having to clear up the mess that follows admitting he's shoving people across the Irish border.
    I can understand opponents to the Rwanda scheme dismissing the Irish development but this is a real issue between Ireland and UK that will draw France and the EU into it and hopefully see cooperation and more importantly determination across thee countries to stop the boats once and for all and make Rwanda scheme redundant

Of course this would be a political result for Sunak but for me stopping the boats is about saving lives at sea not least because our family have lost several family members at sea and why our youngest son is an active RNLI sea going volunteer

Rwanda is all about political posturing. Wasn't it Cummings who suggested it was a smoke screen to cover up another Johnson scandal?

I doubt very much the scheme will stop the boats. There were far more robust mechanisms that could have been explored, but a political win is a political win. The Irish issue which has become an unexpected by product is a Daily Mail win for Sunak. Will the boats stop? Very unlikely, but if 6 boats a day becomes five, Sunak will consider that a win.
    On Friday and Saturday there were 500 recorded small boat arrivals so evidence of a deterrent effect seems rdispute ather absent!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats-last-7-days
    I find it extraordinary that anyone would expect to see an immediate reduction in boat crossings when the smugglers will be desperate to send over as many as possible before the consequences of the legislation become obvious not least as this Irish problem develops and flights take off
    Here’s Tony Blair saying that a lot of asylum seekers are no more than economic migrants playing the system

https://x.com/wayotworld/status/1784633398973092319?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
    Asylum claim refusals peaked under Blair. For those who want an efficient migration system they should vote for pragmatists like Blair, not those who shout the loudest.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,634

kinabalu said:

Well, quite.

I expect someone told him he held all the cards.
  • Options

This is presumably to pause the 28 day countdown timer to an election if no replacement FM in place. I don't see the Greens wanting to VoNC to force an election.

Humza has been the opposite of astute but this move makes sense.

• Options
    @Dennynews

Anas Sarwar is speaking to reporters in Glasgow. He is demanding an election is called instead of a “back room deal” to choose a new First Minister.

“It is for the people of Scotland to decide, and that is why there should be an election”
  • Options
    edited April 29

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well, quite.

The twitter conspiracy theorists say it was a Machiavellian SPAD who wanted Humza gone. I always prefer stupidity over conspiracies so I favour stupid fucking SPADS who came up with the cunning plan and stupid fucking Humza who bought it.
    I do recall you saying when he got the job that you thought he was a nice guy but no Albert Einstein.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

This is presumably to pause the 28 day countdown timer to an election if no replacement FM in place. I don't see the Greens wanting to VoNC to force an election.

The SGP is polling quite well. Need they fear an election?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739
    RobD said:

I assume that the Cons will revoke the VONC in him as First Minister, but that Lab will still put forward their VONC in the Scottish Govt... but that's just a supposition based on logic, so likely false!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

Anas Sarwar is speaking to reporters in Glasgow. He is demanding an election is called instead of a “back room deal” to choose a new First Minister.

“It is for the people of Scotland to decide, and that is why there should be an election”

When's the election in Wales taking place?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    RobD said:

It would be a waste of time having a VONC in HY as FM, now that he has announced his resignation.
    But I hope there's still a VONC in the Scottish Government so there can be a SGE.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Forbes is unacceptable to Harvie/Slater axis and even some of her own party, would be reliant on Ash Regan's vote to be installed as FM, and could well find it impossible to get a budget passed if the Greens objected.
    Yes but variants of this apply to any alternative to Forbes that might be chosen. I guess we need to price in an early Holyrood election, where most of the actors don't want one but it happens anyway because not enough of them can agree on a specific course of action to prevent it.
  • Options

Taz said:

He’s mentioned Gaza.

No, he turned up with a fishing rod, a chicken and some cans. Humza appreciated the gesture.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Finally gone over to the ubiquitous Smartmeter. Gas all online with 1/2 hour granular detail available. Electricity 4-6 weeks to come online though ?!

What sort of archaic systems are in the back end of our grid for it to take that long ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578

Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

Of course it isn't going to happen. But calling for an election is what oppositions do. It's a motion which must be gone through. He's not really expecting an election to be called, just as the SNP wouldn't really expect Sarwar not to call for one.
    Noone needs to get at all exercised about the confected outrage.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Finally gone over to the ubiquitous Smartmeter. Gas all online with 1/2 hour granular detail available. Electricity 4-6 weeks to come online though ?!

What sort of archaic systems are in the back end of our grid for it to take that long ?

Great. Until it isn't. My "Smart Meter" has stopped recording so will have to be replaced.
  • Options
    Not a flattering comparison, but there are some parallels between Conservatives nationally & the SNP. Speaks to dangers of populism - blaming everything that's going wrong on an external foe (Westminster/EU) while proffering up a magical-thinking solution (independence/Brexit).

https://x.com/soniasodha/status/1784912135367049571
  • Options

FF43 said:

The SGP is polling quite well. Need they fear an election?
    It's a good question. The Greens are being conciliatory to the SNP now rather than pushing to collapse the government. Which suggests they don't want an election.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096
    Andy_JS said:
    In a chaste manner, entirely conformant with proscriptions of the Old Testament.
  • Options
    Yousaf to stay on until new SNP leader is elected, because the DFM can't be trusted with hot liquids. But THAT MEANS that the Greens will be asked to vote their confidence in a government STILL LED BY HUMZA YOUSAF....

So either the Greens have to do a simply ENORMOUS and humiliating u-turn, or they still have to bring down the government on Wednesday or Thursday. (The former is most likely, as they have hilariously zero principles.)

https://x.com/WingsScotland/status/1784903170855948666
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

Of course it isn't going to happen. But calling for an election is what oppositions do. It's a motion which must be gone through. He's not really expecting an election to be called, just as the SNP wouldn't really expect Sarwar not to call for one.
    Yeah, but I thought PB might be above breathless regurgitating of Sarwar's guff.
    Actually, wtf was I thinking, of course it's not above that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

Yeah, but I thought PB might be above breathless regurgitating of Sarwar's guff.
    It's better than boring old drunkards' holiday photos, so there's that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Donkeys said:

RobD said:

It would be a waste of time having a VONC in HY as FM, now that he has announced his resignation.
    But I hope there's still a VONC in the Scottish Government so there can be a SGE.
    He’s still first minister, is he not?
  • Options
    Alex Salmond telling Radio4 that Humza Yousaf phoned Alba at 730am today about a deal but the SNP 'old guard' blocked it

https://x.com/HTScotPol/status/1784922044636774475
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul

Ladbrokes news release: BETTING SUSPENDED on Humza Yousaf replacement after flood of bets on John Swinney

I took some of the 8/1 that was on offer this morning
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,528
    FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I see it is Hammer the Disabled Day on Sunak's news grid.

A multi-millionaire (with an even richer wife) hammering the the sick and disabled isn't a good look, is it?
    Sunak is very right wing. He believes government is there only to defend the country and ensure the rich keep their wealth. The Conservative Party have previously done a good job of pretending to be on the side of the common man and woman. Sunak's sin is not even to bother to pretend.
    I always get the impression that a lot of Tories think that most who claim to be disabled are having us on. No doubt there are a few (always fun to see a case in the Daily Mail of someone claiming to be unable to walk more than a few steps, shown running a local marathon or some such. But it is unlikely to be that many people, and those in genuine need should not suffer because of them.

Support for disabled folk is clearly going to be very specific to the individual.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,385
    Dura_Ace said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

It's better than boring old drunkards' holiday photos, so there's that.
    Ooh, do tell us about your new loud exhaust pipe
  • Options
    @DeltapollUK
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Labour lead widens to twenty points in our latest results.
    Con 24% (-3)
    Lab 44% (+1)
    Lib Dem 8% (-1)
    Reform 12% (-)
    SNP 3% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 3% (+2)
    Fieldwork: 26th-29th April 2024
    Sample: 1,577 GB adults
    (Changes from 19th-22nd April 2024)
This discussion has been closed.