Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Shall he dwindle, peak, and pine? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    edited April 25
    viewcode said:

Yokes said:

'Humza Yousaf’s strategy to abrogate the Bute House Agreement would be as successful a strategy as Emperor Palpatine decision to allow the Rebel Alliance to know the location of the second Death Star.'

What? Is that a Star Trek reference?

It's a Star Wars reference. Not Star Trek. Different franchise, similar name.
    That was the film about a trade dispute in the outlying systems? Don’t recall a “Death Star”, or an emperor Palpatine.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Andy_JS said:

"Feminism has left middle-aged women like me single, childless and depressed
    We were taught to prioritise our careers over marriage – and now we are paying for it
    Petronella Wyatt"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2024/04/25/feminism-has-failed-women-career-no-family-thatcher/

Are you sure it was feminism, rather than the affair with Boris Johnson?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,387
    nico679 said:

Yousafs only way to survive is to accept the list of demands from Salmond by way of Ash Regan.

We know people like to cling to power but really this surely would be too much to stomach and would allow the opposition parties to have a field day .

He really messed up today and has no one to blame but himself .

So the stage is set for Kate Forbes who ironically might cause more problems for the opposition , that’s if she can overcome her position on certain social issues .

I’m wondering whether the Tories are willing to accept this as an SNP recovery would dent Labour chances more than their own.

Forbes likely to become trickier longer term. I doubt she can completely change the SNP's positioning and case for independence quickly or cleanly enough for things to go well for them at any soon to be held elections. Labour in particular would be quite gleeful to see the tanks removed from their lawn after Salmond and Sturgeon parked them there for so long.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Yokes said:

'Humza Yousaf’s strategy to abrogate the Bute House Agreement would be as successful a strategy as Emperor Palpatine decision to allow the Rebel Alliance to know the location of the second Death Star.'

Stargate, I think.
    Babylon Galactica, in fact.
    Wasn't it an episode in The Starlost?
    Surely Space 1999
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,026
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Yokes said:

Stargate, I think.
    Babylon Galactica, in fact.
    Blake's 5.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,060
    MJW said:

nico679 said:

Yousafs only way to survive is to accept the list of demands from Salmond by way of Ash Regan.

We know people like to cling to power but really this surely would be too much to stomach and would allow the opposition parties to have a field day .

So the stage is set for Kate Forbes who ironically might cause more problems for the opposition , that’s if she can overcome her position on certain social issues .

I’m wondering whether the Tories are willing to accept this as an SNP recovery would dent Labour chances more than their own.

Forbes likely to become trickier longer term. I doubt she can completely change the SNP's positioning and case for independence quickly or cleanly enough for things to go well for them at any soon to be held elections. Labour in particular would be quite gleeful to see the tanks removed from their lawn after Salmond and Sturgeon parked them there for so long.
    My vague recollection of the SNP leadership contest was that Yousaf was the 'Everything is fine, make no changes' continuity candidate, Forbes was the 'This is not working' change candidate, and Regan was the rank outsider candidate, and that it ended up being closer than anticipated.

But how able Forbes in fact is? In fairness I don't think there's really any way to accurately judge these things - people who seem like duffers can surprise, and steady hands can turn out to be disastrous.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

We were taught to prioritise our careers over marriage – and now we are paying for it
    Petronella Wyatt"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2024/04/25/feminism-has-failed-women-career-no-family-thatcher/

Many feminists are married, so that seems like a stretch.
    I can think of a more tangible entity that has left Petronella.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,023
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

Not sure, but was a bit shocked by the article, how disappointed she seems with life.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,673
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

More to be pitied than censured.

Though reading through manifold references to her in all 3 volumes of Woodrow Wyatt's published journals, might tip the scales the other way,
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801

I know some here strongly favour Scottish Independence - I respect your view but hope you now see how the SNP has blown it for the foreseeable future.

The SNP had one job - to grow support for Independence by showing voters they could do better than Westminster. A more attractive economy? Nope. Better education? Nope. Better taxation rates? Nope. Better laws for a better Scotland? Nope. They had all that Barnett formula subsidy per head but still blew it.

Paradoxically, the SNP would have fared better to govern as a minority like the first Salmond administration. Lots of negotiation, playing one opposition party against the others and (re)building a reputation for good governance.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

A thought. And I can't believe I'm having it.

Did we consider checking if MPs could find Rwanda on a map before allowing them to vote on the bill? Might have saved some bother.

It can be hard to find places in Darkest Africa, I mean just look at the place

Looks like Stanley's trans African expedition.

The Congo was never the same again.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:
    "Vampire facial" is the common name for a platelet-rich plasma microneedling procedure. In this treatment, a patient's blood is drawn, spun down to separate out plasma from blood cells, and the platelet-rich plasma is then injected into the face with microneedles. It's claimed—with little evidence—that it can rejuvenate and improve the look of skin, and got notable promotions from celebrities, including Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Kardashian.

I know many legitimately useful medical procedures can sound horrifying when described in a clinical manner, but who even comes up with the ideas for these things? Haven't all the Nazi doctors died by now?
    If you want nightmares, google why chainsaws were invented. It's not to cut down trees.
    You weren't kidding. Jesus!
    And now you know why I make funny jokes and like happy little dogs. Life can be utterly appalling.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited April 25
    nico679 said:

Except Forbes appeals more to rural Scottish Tory leaning areas while Yousaf appeals more to former Labour big cities and the central belt. When the SNP was largely rural and small and fishing town it never got near power in Scotland, only when it reached into the central belt did it do so
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yokes said:

It's a Star Wars reference. Not Star Trek. Different franchise, similar name.
    Surely it was NOT "Spaceballs", Shirley? Whatever - may the Schwartz be with you!
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    viewcode said:

Am I permitted to be smug over that fact that I knew there are two countries called (variants on) Congo? See also two Dominicas.

And four varieties of Guineas.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,046
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Except Forbes appeals more to rural Scottish Tory leaning areas while Yousaf appeals more to former Labour big cities and the central belt. When the SNP was largely rural and small and fishing town it never got near power in Scotland, only when it reached into the central belt did it do so
    Good points there and something I hadn’t originally thought about . And of course her position on abortion , same sex marriage , and sex outside of marriage could be an issue with the more urban voters .

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

Petronella you were not left on the shelf through feminism. You met and fell in love with a very bad man, an absolute scoundrel.This man promised you he would leave his wife for a lifetime with you. He lied, because he is a liar. Perhaps if you had shown a greater degree of feminist resilience you would have seen through this monstrous man's self-indulgence and kicked him out years before you did.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,566
    Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

• Options
    Rishi goes for a run with 'hardest geezer'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYkaT17n8U
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

Though also par for the course for a 75 year old sovereign 'A military source said that the plans were kept under constant review but that it would be “absurd to read anything into” that fact.

“Planning for the worst is what the military do,” they said, adding: “You’ve got to remember the scale of this thing. The Household Division, under Major General James Bowder, take the lead—that is seven regiments of Guards. Then you have the entire London District, the Territorial Army regiments and the Royal Horse Artillery. That’s before you get to the Navy or Air Force. Charles was closely associated with the Parachute Regiment for years, so they will be involved.

“That’s just the ceremonial end. Then you need a giant security operation because every VVIP on the planet is there. We’re talking everything from missile defense to guarding against a lone wolf attack. The whole thing goes from flash to bang in under two weeks which means every aspect of it needs to be meticulously planned in advance. Serious planning for Charles’ funeral began the day after they buried the queen.”
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/king-charles-funeral-plans-dusted-off-as-his-health-remains-a-mystery
  • Options
    sarissa said:

viewcode said:

Am I permitted to be smug over that fact that I knew there are two countries called (variants on) Congo? See also two Dominicas.

Nigeria and Niger. Sudan and South Sudan.

Also North & South Carolina, North & South Dakota, Virginia & West Virginia.

Ditto Honduras & British Honduras, Columbia & British Columbia & District of Columbia.

Philadelphia City & County, Baltimore City & County, San Francisco & County.

New York City & New York County (aka Borough of Manhattan) & New York State.

California & Baja California & Baja California del Sur.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    Leon said:

Jeepers

I mean, he’s a 75 year old with cancer. I know given QEII and the Queen Mother and Philip we expect our senior royals to be bomb-proof into their 90s, but that’s not a given for anyone.
  • Options

sarissa said:

viewcode said:

Ditto Honduras & British Honduras, Columbia & British Columbia & District of Columbia.

Two Cornwalls

Cornwall in the UK: my homeland

Cornouaille in France: where I am now
  • Options

sarissa said:

viewcode said:

From memory there are about six town/villages called "Whitchurch" in England.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    sarissa said:

viewcode said:

Guiness Original, Guiness Draught, Guiness 0.0, Guiness Foreign Extra Stout
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507

I know some here strongly favour Scottish Independence - I respect your view but hope you now see how the SNP has blown it for the foreseeable future.

The SNP had one job - to grow support for Independence by showing voters they could do better than Westminster. A more attractive economy? Nope. Better education? Nope. Better taxation rates? Nope. Better laws for a better Scotland? Nope. They had all that Barnett formula subsidy per head but still blew it.

Must be really unobservant but haven't noticed a big 'respect your view' vibe over the years. In fact not even a teeny one.
    I am a Unionist - but I have always said that I will live by what the voters of Scotland vote for. If Scotland votes for independence than I will have to do my bit to make it work.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    Three quiz questions for the PB Brains Trust to ponder overnight.

1. Is it time for TRUSS?
    2. Is TRUSS an idea for now?
    3. TRUSS?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725

Three quiz questions for the PB Brains Trust to ponder overnight.

1. Is it time for TRUSS?
    2. Is TRUSS an idea for now?
    3. TRUSS?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz3805
  • Options
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

Not sure, but was a bit shocked by the article, how disappointed she seems with life.
    It is a sad, well-written piece.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    There’s a campaign to call the renationalised railway “Rail Britannia” complete with a Rule Britannia jingle:

https://x.com/louhaigh/status/1783585720151482425
  • Options
    City of New Orleans and Orleans Parish, which cover exactly the same turf (as with Philadelphia City and County, also San Francisco City & County, but NOT Baltimore City & County which cover different areas.

With the city pronounced by locals ""New Or-lans" or "New Aw-lans" or reasonable facsimile.

However, the Parish is pronounced "Or-LEENS" by locals; tourists don't know it exists UNLESS they get thrown into the Orleans Parish Prison during Mardi Gras.

NOT the best place to "laissez les bon temps roulez".
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    sarissa said:

viewcode said:

1000 Guineas, 2000 Guineas, Irish 1000 Guineas, Irish 2000 Guineas
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited April 25
    Leon said:

Jeepers

It's been obvious from the moment the Palace went public with the diagnosis that he is very seriously ill.

His cancer was discovered when he was having treatment for his enlarged prostate so everyone assumed that meant it was caught at an early stage, but that isn't necessarily so.

If it had been caught at an early stage the first line of treatment would have been an operation to remove the malignancy (the surgical route is ALWAYS the primary treatment route with cancer if and when possible)

The fact they discovered the cancer incidentally and he is then having chemo (or radiotherapy, or both) suggests the cancer was non-operable at the point it was discovered (NOTE: the exception would be in the case of blood cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia)

My guess is that King Charles has a very serious cancer, such as pancreatic cancer, which is infamous for not giving any symptoms until so advanced its non-operable and only showed up in routine blood tests when he had his procedure on his prostate.

Even at the point it was noticed in his bloods it had probably already seeded to his liver, unfortunately.

Hopefully the treatment he is getting will give him some quality time with his loved ones and make him as comfortable as possible.

(Speaking purely in the capacity of a cancer survivor since 2022)
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    Why did they not specify the type of cancer, when they were candid about the enlarged prostate?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

It's been obvious from the moment the Palace went public with the diagnosis that he is very seriously ill.

His cancer was discovered when he was having treatment for his enlarged prostate so everyone assumed that meant it was caught at an early stage, but that isn't necessarily so.

If it had been caught at an early stage the first line of treatment would have been an operation to remove the malignancy (the surgical route is ALWAYS the primary treatment route with cancer if and when possible)

The fact they discovered the cancer incidentally and he is then having chemo (or radiotherapy, or both) suggests the cancer was non-operable at the point it was discovered (NOTE: the exception would be in the case of blood cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia)

My guess is that King Charles has a very serious cancer, such as pancreatic cancer, which is infamous for not giving any symptoms until so advanced its non-operable and only showed up in routine blood tests when he had his procedure on his prostate.

Even at the point it was noticed in his bloods it had probably already seeded to his liver, unfortunately.

Hopefully the treatment he is getting will give him some quality time with his loved ones and make him as comfortable as possible.

From memory, pancreatic cancer with secondaries in the liver is a death sentence. I'm not even sure chemo is offered in such cases. If he is getting chemo then that's ironically hopeful: it's not like it's "here's the morphine, get the bed downstairs" yet.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,023
    edited April 26
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions. Surely the truth is we don't know how serious his condition s.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited April 26
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions. Surely the truth is we don't know how serious his condition s.
    I mean, I said "my guess is..." and that I'm speaking purely in the capacity as a cancer survivor (albeit one who has spent literally hundreds or maybe even thousands of hours studying my nemesis and potential killer - CANCER)

So my post is just an educated guess based on what I know of cancer and if I'm wrong and King Charles is still alive and healthy in 2027, no one will be more delighted than me (assuming my pesky cancerous cells haven't taken me out by then, lol)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556

Major IT outage at Sainsbury's this evening. I, and 1000s of others, can't check out from an online delivery order.

Been over three hours now.

Sainsbury's had the same problem a few weeks ago iirc.
    As Sainsbury's announced its results, a "technical issue" hit some of its online deliveries on Thursday.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68895280
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    The scenes from US campus protests continue to get worse:

https://x.com/uicprofwatch/status/1783625176887799938
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    After seeing so many women raising well-founded, moderately-expressed concerns about gender self-ID treated so badly by political parties & society more widely… let’s just say it’s hard not to smile wryly at the position that Yousaf now finds himself in.

https://x.com/soniasodha/status/1783578199282057416
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422
    Good morning from beautiful Norway. I’ve been off here but notice as soon as I return that the psychotic obsession with gender stuff goes on ^^^. It’s like feeding a caged rabbit with grass each day. I guess it gives old men something to chew down on.

In actual important news, the kind which concerns a political betting site, that Best for Britain Survation poll is a huge sample size: 15,000. Anyone know more about it? I don’t know anything about ‘Best for Britain’ but assume Survation have conducted it all as per rigorous standards. Anyway, it gives Labour a 21% lead.

My guess is that the locals in their projected national share will have the Conservatives c. 3-6% above their current national opinion polling. If that’s right then some will latch onto it as a sign that the polls are wrong, rather than the local effect which may raise their mark a little higher.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    p.s. by the way, when I glance on here these days I notice @TSE that you very often use twitter to inform your thread headers. I think this is a pity and a departure from Mike’s approach. I can understand why, since it must be time consuming and difficult to think up threads, especially witty ones.

But some of us have left twitter, X, for a good reason.

There’s nothing wrong with very short and sweet thread headers.

Meant kindly and gently xx
  • Options
    Oh and I notice that Labour will renationalise the railways. Absolutely marvellous news. As an avid rail user who doesn’t own a car I am thrilled by this. Britain’s railways are a bloody shambles. SWR and Southern are particularly awful but they are not alone.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    Heathener said:

Oh and I notice that Labour will renationalise the railways. Absolutely marvellous news. As an avid rail user who doesn’t own a car I am thrilled by this. Britain’s railways are a bloody shambles. SWR and Southern are particularly awful but they are not alone.

Why do you think the small changes they're making will make any positive difference to your experience as a passenger?

(And they are not 'renationalising the railways'. They are slowly going to take some franchises into public ownership. Railfreght remains nationalised, ROSCOs remain, and OA continues. This is *not* a return to BR - perhaps thanks goodness.
  • Options
    The Scottish government would be the voice of a particular kind of largely-Glaswegian smugness: holier than thou, briskly intolerant of alternative views, and firmly of the view that if the people lacked the wisdom or vision to appreciate what was good for them the government would impose it upon them anyway. An eat-your-oat-milk-porridge kind of ministry certain of its own moral probity and powered by its own sanctimonious certainty.

https://alexmassie.substack.com/p/the-end-of-a-very-small-song
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,242
    Heathener said:

Good morning from beautiful Norway. I’ve been off here but notice as soon as I return that the psychotic obsession with gender stuff goes on ^^^. It’s like feeding a caged rabbit with grass each day. I guess it gives old men something to chew down on.

In actual important news, the kind which concerns a political betting site, that Best for Britain Survation poll is a huge sample size: 15,000. Anyone know more about it? I don’t know anything about ‘Best for Britain’ but assume Survation have conducted it all as per rigorous standards. Anyway, it gives Labour a 21% lead.

My guess is that the locals in their projected national share will have the Conservatives c. 3-6% above their current national opinion polling. If that’s right then some will latch onto it as a sign that the polls are wrong, rather than the local effect which may raise their mark a little higher.

Best for Britain is the official Remain campaign, renamed.

(We know this, amusingly, because of EU data protection laws: they are the registered data controllers for the data Remain collected during the campaign.)
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Heathener said:

the psychotic obsession with gender stuff goes on ^^^.

The "stuff" that's just helped end the Bute House agreement and may bring down the Scottish government?

That led to the exit from the SNP of Ash Regan, who now holds the deciding vote?

That helped end Sturgeon's career?

None so blind......
  • Options
    Summary: Humza Yousaf defeated Ash Regan by promising to govern as a gender ideologue. Despite this, the Greens want to oust him for not giving puberty blockers to children. So now he has to offer Regan gender promises to save himself. Not sure the Greens thought this one through

https://x.com/ripx4nutmeg/status/1783566880852017173
  • Options
    The SNP may pin its hopes on a new leader but whoever takes over will inherit a party in deep trouble. A highly competent leader elected a year ago might just have managed to navigate the SNP through the mess left by Sturgeon but will face an even more daunting task now. Whether or not momentum is with Labour it is clearly against the SNP.

James Mitchell is professor of public policy at Edinburgh University.

https://archive.is/O6EJS#selection-2871.0-2890.0
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

I think this a likely analysis. Straight to non-surgical treatment means either lymphoma/leukemia or advanced disease. Lymphoma could be an incidental finding, leukemia more likely to be picked up on routine bloods. A further possibility would be bladder cancer operated on at the time of the prostate op.

Keeping the funeral plans updated seems a wise precaution. A long reign into his nineties looks unlikely.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 243
    Foxy said:

The latest survation large sample poll is poison to the tories.

Up from 19% to 21% lead to labour.

This is interesting. Even Telegraph readers favour Labour...

Look at the express
  • Options
    edited April 26

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    There is a large Reform vote too. I was surprised to see Labour ahead with GBNews watchers too:

"When asked if they would consider tactically to secure a change of UK Government, 32% of Daily Mail readers, 39% of Sun readers, 40% of Express readers and 43% of Telegraph readers said that they were ready to do so.

Conversely, just, 17% of Daily Mail readers, 15% of Sun readers, 24% of Express readers and 18% of Telegraph readers said that they would consider voting tactically to save Sunak's administration.

The findings come as a separate poll showed a similar trend among GBnews watchers, where Labour lead by 39% to 28% when “don’t knows” are excluded."

https://www.bestforbritain.org/the_read_wall

Presumably many of the "Tactical Voters" are Reform supporters. Not much hope for Sunak from these.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 243
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    There is a large Reform vote too. I was surprised to see Labour ahead with GBNews watchers too:

"When asked if they would consider tactically to secure a change of UK Government, 32% of Daily Mail readers, 39% of Sun readers, 40% of Express readers and 43% of Telegraph readers said that they were ready to do so.

Conversely, just, 17% of Daily Mail readers, 15% of Sun readers, 24% of Express readers and 18% of Telegraph readers said that they would consider voting tactically to save Sunak's administration.

The findings come as a separate poll showed a similar trend among GBnews watchers, where Labour lead by 39% to 28% when “don’t knows” are excluded."

https://www.bestforbritain.org/the_read_wall

Presumably many of the "Tactical Voters" are Reform supporters. Not much hope for Sunak from these.
    "Voters are hoosing to trust their lived experience"

Oh dear.
  • Options
    A top Human Rights Council-appointed expert has welcomed the decision by all health authorities in the United Kingdom to halt the routine use of puberty-blockers offered to children as part of gender transition services, amid a sharp increase more widely in the number of teenage girls seeking such treatment and concerns that it might disrupt brain development.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2024/04/1148986
  • Options
    Hearing there's ANOTHER emergency Cabinet meeting tomorrow morning. Doesn't necessarily precipitate an event, but an event isn't far off.

https://x.com/WingsScotland/status/1783623932869828616
  • Options
    edited April 26
    I’m a bit confused re the Kings cancer . Wouldn’t he have been regularly screened so any cancer would have been caught early ?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

The data tables are linked to from here:

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/b4b/pages/5777/attachments/original/1714052856/B4B_MRP_2024-03-25_Tables_V3_(1).xlsx?1714052856

The undecided seem to break almost exactly evenly between con and Lab at 29% each. There is also a question on Reform voters asking who they would vote for if Reform didn't stand. This favoured Con by 38% to 9% to Lab, with the remainder going to smaller parties such as UKIP and Reclaim (28% together). Reform not standing helps the Tories by 30% or so of their share, so 3-4% of the total vote. This isn't enough in a poll that estimates its MOE as 0.8%.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Humza Yousaf is basically cooked - even if he survives a vote of no confidence. My analysis for @ScotNational

https://x.com/HMorrison97/status/1783579416355893566
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453

Humza Yousaf is basically cooked - even if he survives a vote of no confidence. My analysis for @ScotNational

If the SNP are talking about trying to install Swinney as FM pro tempore then they must be truly fucking desperate.

Man makes Yousaf look competent.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    edited April 26
    nico679 said:

I’m a bit confused re the Kings cancer . Wouldn’t he have been regularly screened so any cancer would have been caught early ?

Didn't the prime minister, in his capacity as a freelance royal press officer, tell us that it had been caught early?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,215
    ydoethur said:

If the SNP are talking about trying to install Swinney as FM pro tempore then they must be truly fucking desperate.

They are truly fucking desperate...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

Summary: Humza Yousaf defeated Ash Regan by promising to govern as a gender ideologue. Despite this, the Greens want to oust him for not giving puberty blockers to children. So now he has to offer Regan gender promises to save himself. Not sure the Greens thought this one through

https://x.com/ripx4nutmeg/status/1783566880852017173

Idealogues a bit shit at politics shock.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

Many feminists are married, so that seems like a stretch.
    I can think of a more tangible entity that has left Petronella.
    It's all muscle.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Kate Forbes perhaps?

Surely all Starmer's wishes cannot come true? That would give SLAB quite some cental belt advantage.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,367
    So, Chris Phillip, on his way home from Ques

Heathener said:

Why do you think the small changes they're making will make any positive difference to your experience as a passenger?

(And they are not 'renationalising the railways'. They are slowly going to take some franchises into public ownership. Railfreght remains nationalised, ROSCOs remain, and OA continues. This is *not* a return to BR - perhaps thanks goodness.
    Pedant alert - even the privatised franchises were publicly owned. All we ever did was sign over the operating rights for a fixed period, at the end of which operating rights returned to the owner - us.

My worries about this Labour plan is that they are still wedded to public good private bad dogma. Removing the money skimmed off the top by contractors would be a good thing as long as we then have rail professionals running the thing as a StateCo like Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy etc who made up most of the “privatised” operators.

My fear is that they envisage the DfT running the show. And the DfT is why it is so utterly broken…
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Hearing there's ANOTHER emergency Cabinet meeting tomorrow morning. Doesn't necessarily precipitate an event, but an event isn't far off.

You wait YEARS for an emergency Cabinet meeting to come along, and then there's a bunch of them all at once...

I'm old enough to remember when a sex scandal bringing down a Government wasn't about gender.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    The Express that has painted the Tories from Johnson onwards as cartoon clowns? That Express?
  • Options

You wait YEARS for an emergency Cabinet meeting to come along, and then there's a bunch of them all at once...

I'm old enough to remember when a sex scandal bringing down a Government wasn't about gender.
    Similarly, you can wait years for a new sovereign. And then suddenly….

Jeez the royal family suddenly looks very small. Harry needs to shape up

This is not idle speculation. The foreign press is sounding the alarum over our king - and they are quite often correct. This makes me sad, I rather like KCIII, I agree with him entirely about architecture. I wish he could design every new build in the country

I hope it’s all wrong and he’ll be apples but hmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

She certainly sounds quite depressed. I have some sympathy for her, but she came from a wealthy family, is well educated and has agency. That includes wasting her fertile years as the mistress of a notorious philanderer that paid for her abortion. She sounds more a doormat than a feminist.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    Good morning all.

How long does the Kerch strait bridge have left, then?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

For maximum popcorn effect:

Yousaf concedes every single one of Regan's demands;

Sturgeon is then charged on the day of the vote and can't attend, so he loses anyway.

Hard to predict these things, but given the length of the investigation it does seem odd why not arrest everyone at the same time if they were going to arrest multiple people. I mean, what would a few more weeks or months be at this point?
    Best pal runs the crown office, you gave her her job and on and on and on
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    The Express that has painted the Tories from Johnson onwards as cartoon clowns? That Express?
    You’re thinking of the Daily Star. The Express heralds every announcement or initiative farted out by the Sunak government as if it was the Magna Carta.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    edited April 26

Andy_JS said:

Petronella Wyatt"

Petronella you were not left on the shelf through feminism. You met and fell in love with a very bad man, an absolute scoundrel.This man promised you he would leave his wife for a lifetime with you. He lied, because he is a liar. Perhaps if you had shown a greater degree of feminist resilience you would have seen through this monstrous man's self-indulgence and kicked him out years before you did.
    +1 Didn’t she also have an aborigine, with the suggestion that Boris pressured her into it? I’m fully supportive of the woman’s right to choose, but she’s childless as a result of her own decision making, and if that was forced upon her by a nasty man, that would appear to be the very opposite of feminism, surely? (‘Aborigine’ was the iPad’s attempt at correction, which I will leave in for, well, why not?)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    TimS said:

I suspect Chris Philp did actually know Congo and Rwanda are separate countries. His question was rhetorical.

The more arresting thing was he clearly had no idea of the dynamics of the long running conflict in Eastern DRC and the role of Rwandan troops and paramilitaries there. That was the whole point of the man’s question. Yet Philps along with his parliamentary party has just voted to make it law that Rwanda is safe.

The whole thing of passing a law on a factual matter still blows my mind. Think of the opportunities:

- The cleanliness of seawater bill
    - The integrity of the Fujitsu Horizon system bill
    - The veracity of seven bins bill
    - The London definitely is a crime ridden hellhole with no go areas and centre of the metropolitan elite including the Daily Star bill

Strong vibes of the law dictating the value of pi. You're right, it is really the defining piece of legislation of this government.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

I think this a likely analysis. Straight to non-surgical treatment means either lymphoma/leukemia or advanced disease. Lymphoma could be an incidental finding, leukemia more likely to be picked up on routine bloods. A further possibility would be bladder cancer operated on at the time of the prostate op.

Keeping the funeral plans updated seems a wise precaution. A long reign into his nineties looks unlikely.
    Coincidentally, The Rest is Entertainment has discussed the Category 1 list, whose deaths would automatically mean interrupting BBC programming: King, Queen, William, (new entry) Kate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jzZa2pfVG8&t=35s
  • Options

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    It's not as if they have been kind to Starmer or Rayner, yet Labour leads amongst Express readers.

The clock of doom is ticking loudly for the Tories.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Anyone who makes demands as suggested shoukd be told to fuck right off.....How much did May cost us in demands from N I.?

It was the dementia tax, actually.

But - actually - Yousaf can't afford to do that. He is totally stuck and it's entirely his own fault.
    Entirely his fault? OK, he's handled the last couple of months with the sophistication of a hamster in an escape room.

But a lot of his problems are just because he has been left holding the ticking parcel when the music stopped. A different version of this fiasco would have happened under Regan or Forbes. Maybe even under Sturgeon.
    I for one still believe Sturgeon quitting and what followed with the legal troubles was a complete coincidence .
    I have the Forth Bridge to sell you. £5. Buyer collects.
    LOL, PB Scotch Expert indeed.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,958

What's interesting about this is there are so many issues floating about - Trans, climate change targets, Branchform.

I know that PB absolutely loves the idea that Trans is the big issue here, but I think the climate change reversal is far more significant. And I don't think going for Forbes is the answer for the SNP - this is an exceptionally broad coalition, and there is far more scope to lose further votes on the left than on the right imo. The SNP are still polling reasonably well despite everything.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    You’re thinking of the Daily Star. The Express heralds every announcement or initiative farted out by the Sunak government as if it was the Magna Carta.
    OMG that’s so funny . And so on point aswell .
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407
    edited April 26
    Good morning

Scotland politics is in chaos and who can say where this will go but Yousaf time as first minister must be over

On Rwanda seems the bill has resulted in unexpected consequences with Ireland experiencing asylum seekers in the UK travelling to Northern Ireland and crossing into Ireland and of course the EU

This is the so called deterrent effect actually happening and a real issue for Irish politicians and others

https://news.sky.com/story/rwanda-bill-causing-migrants-to-opt-for-ireland-deputy-pm-says-13123078
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,242

Good morning

Scotland politics is in chaos and who can say where this will go but Yousaf time as first minister must be over

On Rwanda seems the bill has resulted in unexpected consequences with Ireland experiencing asylum seekers in the UK travelling to Northern Ireland and crossing into Ireland and of course the EU

This is the so called deterrent effect is actually happening and a real issue for Irish politicians and others

https://news.sky.com/story/rwanda-bill-causing-migrants-to-opt-for-ireland-deputy-pm-says-13123078

If RoI join our scheme, and make it a CTA one...
  • Options
    The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

• Options

That'll be half the total number of emergency cabinet meetings in the history of Holyrood...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

Not really and actually if the SNP resolve this it could become more salient

There is no love for being ruled by the English in Westminster
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 146
    nico679 said:

Muesli said:

Foxy said:

Look at the express
    OMG that’s so funny . And so on point aswell .
    The Express always reminds me of the old joke about Pravda and tractor production. It just trumpets "triumphs" while the Mail and Telegraph dig for dirt about Labour.
  • Options
    Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439

Yes. They could have built a 60-70% strong support for Independence on the back of making a success of Holyrood. Indeed, this appears to be the Sinn Fein strategy now that they have the role of First Minister at Stormont.

But Sturgeon was all political game-playing and wedge-seeking. In the tenth year after the referendum it looks a lot like a wasted decade.
    Sturgeon didn't make Brexit a wedge issue when she should have. Cosying up to the People's Vote & #FBPE mob when she could have quite simply said though I disagree with it, England has made its choice and Scotland has made a different one. It would have had the straightforward virtue of being stone cold true.
    Well, that wasn't my experience. I do think that Sturgeon used Brexit as a wedge issue. She was always asking for a different deal for Scotland, because the vote had gone differently for Scotland. She did argue that it justified a second independence referendum in Scotland. And I was convinced by many of these arguments, and for a time I supported Scottish independence on the basis of preferring to be on the European side of the wedge - until the situation with Northern Ireland made it clear how disastrous that would be.

But I wasn't thinking of Brexit at all, as it happens. I was thinking about every other political decision made. The test of a policy seemed to be solely whether it created a point of difference with England, and not whether it was a good idea, or was part of a coherent plan for improving Scotland. The climate targets are a pretty good example. They seem to have been adopted by the SNP solely to be one step more ambitious than the Westminster government, but with no plan as to how to achieve them, or how to use them as a springboard for developing the economy in Scotland to take advantage of the opportunities that this transformation would create.

And so, when the Scottish government misses the annual targets that follow from the headline targets, nothing is done to try and get back on course. Where are the policies that might move the transition faster in Scotland? Where is the faster rollout of EV charging? Where is the push to increase grid storage of renewable electricity? Where are the opportunities for new companies to develop new technologies that would be created by a determined approach to meeting these targets? Instead the 2030 target is simply abandoned, and the 2045 target retained, to retain the point of difference with Westminster, although everyone except the most credulous must see that it is an empty promise given the vigour with which the interim targets have been addressed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    MattW said:

Good morning all.

How long does the Kerch strait bridge have left, then?

It's going to be a *much* harder target than it was earlier in the war; and it was a hard target then. The question is whether it is worth it, or whether there are other, less well-defended, targets that the weapons would be better used at. Other logistical chokepoints, as an example.

Also remember it is two bridges: the road and rail bridge. Getting both down at the same time is difficult.

But it has become so totemic, that putting the bridge(s) out of action might be worth it purely from a PR point of view. Or say you're going to hit it, to make the Russians concentrate defensive assets there, so it is easier to strike elsewhere...

Incidentally, last week someone claimed that the Russians are not using the road bridge for heavy military traffic (they are using the rail bridge). *If* true, my guess is that the road bridge's repairs have left it with a hefty weight limit.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,367
    nico679 said:

There appears to be a very deep-seated "if anything is wrong, its the fault of the union" mentality. Which sustains regardless of evidence or sanity.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.

Like I said. It's Travel hacks that need to worry.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,846

Good morning

This is the so called deterrent effect actually happening and a real issue for Irish politicians and others

Asylum seekers were already going to Ireland. A couple of Irish politicians trying to cast blame on the UK is not evidence that the numbers are a result of the Rwanda policy. Let’s see a proper data analysis.
  • Options

nico679 said:

There appears to be a very deep-seated "if anything is wrong, its the fault of the union" mentality. Which sustains regardless of evidence or sanity.
    It was ever thus
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    @Leon

You're talking about AI, again.

Desist before you start spamming PB again.
  • Options

@Leon

Aye aye
  • Options

@Leon

I just thought @foxy might like to see it, as it is evidence I will indeed lose my job. He takes delight in this idea