Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Shall he dwindle, peak, and pine? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 25 in General
Shall he dwindle, peak, and pine? – politicalbetting.com

Ash Regan, who holds decisive vote, has written to Yousaf with a series of demands around independence and women’s rightsAlex Salmond tells Times Radio: “If I were Humza Yousaf, I’d get drafting a very favourable answer, otherwise he’s going to be known as ‘Humza the Brief’" https://t.co/GVL6QNTWwN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    Though his bark be tempest tossed
    Still it is - not yet - quite lost.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    ydoethur said:

Yay, somebody spotted my subtle Macbeth/Shakespeare reference.
  • Options
    You were a transport minister and the trains were never on time, when you were justice secretary the police were stretched to breaking point, and now as health minister we've got record high waiting times,

Kate Forbes must be enjoying this...not least, that she gets to be magnanimous in public...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Subtle? Subtle?

It was as subtle as a rat without a tail...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,661
    Donald Trump's Pecker is Leaking . . .

NY Post - Ex-National Enquirer boss expected to detail scheme to bury story from Playboy Playmate: Trump trial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ0arpisr7Q
  • Options

Donald Trump's Pecker is Leaking . . .

NY Post - Ex-National Enquirer boss expected to detail scheme to bury story from Playboy Playmate: Trump trial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ0arpisr7Q

Trump fiddled through Pecker.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited April 25
    No one has mentioned any numbers, so SEVENTH.

Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon.
  • Options
    Sir Humphrey once said the National staging a production of the Comedy of Errors in No. 10 was better than setting Macbeth in No. 10.

The SNP seem to be going for the double here...
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon as Hecate?

And I, the mistress of your charms,
    The close contriver of all harms,
    Was never called to bear my part
    Or show the glory of our art?
    And which is worse, all you have done
    Hath been but for a wayward son,
    Spiteful and wrathful, who, as others do,
    Loves for his own ends, not for you.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458

ydoethur said:

What bloody man is that?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    "Ash Regan MSP
    @AshReganALBA

Thank you for your incredible strength and support for me and many women and girls. Some react to storm clouds; interestingly, women often make the weather."

In reply to JK Rowling.

https://twitter.com/AshReganALBA/status/1783571332640207181
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,374
    edited April 25
    Anyone who makes demands as suggested should be told to fuck right off.....How much did May cost us in demands from N I.?
  • Options

Anyone who makes demands as suggested shoukd be told to fuck right off.....How much did May cost us in demands from N I.?

It was the dementia tax, actually.

But - actually - Yousaf can't afford to do that. He is totally stuck and it's entirely his own fault.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,327

Anyone who makes demands as suggested should be told to fuck right off.....How much did May cost us in demands from N I.?

You rarely get a chance to leverage something, no politician is going to miss out on it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What bloody man is that?
    Thou canst not say I did it!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,017
    Caught by the curse of the new thread!

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

When Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, made an alliance with Margaret d'Anjou in 1470 she forced him to grovel in front of her for fifteen solid minutes on a stone-cold (literally, as it consisted of flagstones) floor while apologising for all his past misdeeds towards her and her husband before she accepted him.

I wonder if Ash Regan is feeling vindictive?

Hopefully , her shopping list will not be short
    It should be the antithesis of all the policies that the Greens inflicted on Scotland as a result of the Bute House agreement.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    Andy_JS said:

"Ash Regan MSP
    @AshReganALBA

Thank you for your incredible strength and support for me and many women and girls. Some react to storm clouds; interestingly, women often make the weather."

In reply to JK Rowling.

Hilarious. I hope Ash Regan makes Humza Yousaf turn WHITE!!! - with fright
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    We've had enough excitement just with the agreement collapsing, I doubt we'll be fortunate enough to have even more.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

For maximum popcorn effect:

Yousaf concedes every single one of Regan's demands;

Sturgeon is then charged on the day of the vote and can't attend, so he loses anyway.

Hard to predict these things, but given the length of the investigation it does seem odd why not arrest everyone at the same time if they were going to arrest multiple people. I mean, what would a few more weeks or months be at this point?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,581
    ydoethur said:

Anyone who makes demands as suggested shoukd be told to fuck right off.....How much did May cost us in demands from N I.?

But - actually - Yousaf can't afford to do that. He is totally stuck and it's entirely his own fault.
    Entirely his fault? OK, he's handled the last couple of months with the sophistication of a hamster in an escape room.

But a lot of his problems are just because he has been left holding the ticking parcel when the music stopped. A different version of this fiasco would have happened under Regan or Forbes. Maybe even under Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Ok, so let's ask this question:

If he loses, what then?

Presumably the SNP leave him in place while electing a new leader, which would I imagine have to be one of Robertson or Forbes.

They have to get that done in 28 days and try to put forward their new leader as a candidate.

But - it is hard to imagine either will be more acceptable to the Greens than Yousaf. Robertson is also tainted by association with Sturgeon and Forbes' social views alienate much of her own party.

So is there any realistic chance of one of them getting the 65 votes needed?

They could of course try to install Keith Brown, Depute Leader, as FM and wait a few months for everything to cool down. But, leaving aside whether he'd have the votes either, that's only really delaying the issue.

This looks a nasty mess.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,961
    ydoethur said:

Sturgeon is then charged on the day of the vote and can't attend, so he loses anyway.

Then a Holyrood election is called and a day later Rishi calls the UK GE. Both coincide with the US presidential.

The UK media would have a melt-down.

Or just cover the US election. One of the two.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,927
    ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

Then a Holyrood election is called and a day later Rishi calls the UK GE. Both coincide with the US presidential.

One of tdhe three, you mean?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,961
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

One of tdhe three, you mean?
    I was assuming they wouldn't cover the Holyrood election, as per.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,815
    edited April 25
    I see there’s a new cohort of graduates from the Raab school of political geography:

https://x.com/stephspyro/status/1783585417243107626?s=46
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895

The latest survation large sample poll is poison to the tories.

Up from 19% to 21% lead to labour.

Very little change from last month. LAB +1, CON -1, all others unchanged. The swing from Conservative to Labour is around 16%.
  • Options
    Another question:

If there is an emergency Holyrood election, is the next election five years after the regular election or five years after that election?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,280
    edited April 25
    ohnotnow said:

... Because otherwise they were going to sweep to victory? Maybe even gain a council seat somewhere?

Let's not get carried away.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    Andy_JS said:

"Ash Regan MSP
    @AshReganALBA

In reply to JK Rowling.

Witches. Well known Essex phenomenon!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    ohnotnow said:

Alba is fucked if it brings down an SNP govt.
    ... Because otherwise they were going to sweep to victory? Maybe even gain a council seat somewhere?

A GE might not do Ash Regan any favours either.

It's Scotterdammerung...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

Presumably the SNP leave him in place while electing a new leader, which would I imagine have to be one of Robertson or Forbes.

They have to get that done in 28 days and try to put forward their new leader as a candidate.

But - it is hard to imagine either will be more acceptable to the Greens than Yousaf. Robertson is also tainted by association with Sturgeon and Forbes' social views alienate much of her own party.

They could of course try to install Keith Brown, Depute Leader, as FM and wait a few months for everything to cool down. But, leaving aside whether he'd have the votes either, that's only really delaying the issue.

This looks a nasty mess.

The best bet for Alba could be to vote against Yousaf in a VONC against him, so he would need to resign, but vote with the SNP in a VONC against the SNP.

Re: your post at 9.15 - there would be an election in 2026 even if there was an election in 2024.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Ash Regan MSP
    @AshReganALBA

In reply to JK Rowling.

Witches. Well known Essex phenomenon!
    The unelected patting each other on the back, lovely.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Alba is fucked if it brings down an SNP govt.

A GE might not do Ash Regan any favours either.

It's Scotterdammerung...
    There's a reason why Mutually Assured Destruction is known by its acronym.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,002
    Foxy said:

...It's Scotterdammerung...

I'm stealing that. :)

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    ydoethur said:

Another question:

If there is an emergency Holyrood election, is the next election five years after the regular election or five years after that election?

If it is like FTPA rules, I'd expect it to be reset to May, meaning May 2029, but I don't know.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Another question:

It would run to the regular election date, ie c.2 years in this case.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

The best bet for Alba could be to vote against Yousaf in a VONC against him, so he would need to resign, but vote with the SNP in a VONC against the SNP.

Re: your post at 9.15 - there would be an election in 2026 even if there was an election in 2024.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 242
    stodge said:

Very little change from last month. LAB +1, CON -1, all others unchanged. The swing from Conservative to Labour is around 16%.
    Yougov is up 2% too to 25% lead.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Ahem, Alastair Meeks came up with that in 2015.

I came up with Ajockalypse Now at the same time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,399
    The problem with this theory of an interim FM is that that person would need the approval of the Parliament as well. And they wouldn't have the benefit of the casting vote on that. If their interim candidate was rejected the 28 days will continue to tick.

The other thing that occurred to me was that if any MSP managed to get themselves charged and felt the need to stand down even Regan would not be able to save the SNP government. Which is the reason that we have had this nonsense of a coalition throughout. Its just too tight.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622

From a distance...

Is it a reasonable working assumption that every Scottish politician hates and despises every other Scottish politician?

It's extraordinary how frequently P.G. Wodehouse is relevant to Scottish politics:

“It is never difficult to distinguish between with a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”
    Blandings Castle
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,430
    Major IT outage at Sainsbury's this evening. I, and 1000s of others, can't check out from an online delivery order.

Been over three hours now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

Looking from afar, a fine mess (in one sense) for sure.

However, re: numbers, don't ALL of the parties in & of (if not always for) Scotland have some history of defections and defectors, quasi en-mass or semi-individual (also visa-versa)?

Meaning that it's possible, if less-than-inevitable, for current govt. to win over one or more (current) opposition MSPs. In theory anyway.

Factor to consider: degree that ALL parties are ready AND willing to hold a Scottish snap election?

Reckon that SNP and Greens are NOT over-eager, risking significant seat loses even (or because of?) the (relative) proportionality of the electoral system. Whereas Scottish Labour and Conservatives might well welcome opportunity to not only gain seats at Holyrood, but to also to use such gains as arguments in their favor all across Great Britain in the upcoming Westminster GE.

Anyway you slice it, very interesting for punters and/or psephologists!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I'll steal that as well!... :)
  • Options
    edited April 25

ydoethur said:

Entirely his fault? OK, he's handled the last couple of months with the sophistication of a hamster in an escape room.

But a lot of his problems are just because he has been left holding the ticking parcel when the music stopped. A different version of this fiasco would have happened under Regan or Forbes. Maybe even under Sturgeon.
    I for one still believe Sturgeon quitting and what followed with the legal troubles was a complete coincidence .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,399

From a distance...

Is it a reasonable working assumption that every Scottish politician hates and despises every other Scottish politician?

Well, of course. But they have a particular hatred for those in the same party as themselves.
  • Options

This is interesting. Even Telegraph readers favour Labour...

• Options
    edited April 25

ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

However, re: numbers, don't ALL of the parties in & of (if not always for) Scotland have some history of defections and defectors, quasi en-mass or semi-individual (also visa-versa)?

Meaning that it's possible, if less-than-inevitable, for current govt. to win over one or more (current) opposition MSPs. In theory anyway.

Factor to consider: degree that ALL parties are ready AND willing to hold a Scottish snap election?

Reckon that SNP and Greens are NOT over-eager, risking significant seat loses even (or because of?) the (relative) proportionality of the electoral system. Whereas Scottish Labour and Conservatives might well welcome opportunity to not only gain seats at Holyrood, but to also to use such gains as arguments in their favor all across Great Britain in the upcoming Westminster GE.

If there's an election now the Scottish Tories will:

A) lose seats
    B ) lose second place.

It is not in their interests for there to be an election. This may be why they're only VONC the FM not the whole government.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Most important thing is that another month has passed without the polling gap really changing.

• Options
    He's going to be inundated...

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h
    Singapore General Hospital has a programme called Get Rid Of Stupid Stuff.

I want to hear from NHS staff about the stupid stuff that wastes your time, patients’ time, and taxpayers’ pounds.

Let me know how you think we can deliver a better NHS here:

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1783562443798553030
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

Opinion here seems to be that Scottish Tories are not keen, either.

But bear in mind the voting system is bent like Westminster, only in the opposite direction - it has a reverse effect from FPTP in terms of seats per vote.
  • Options

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

I want to hear from NHS staff about the stupid stuff that wastes your time, patients’ time, and taxpayers’ pounds.

Could be worse.

Could have been asking about the national education system.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I also came up with 'Thistle do nicely for Starmer' and I've got one ready for election night that will outdo all of them.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

From a distance...

It's extraordinary how frequently P.G. Wodehouse is relevant to Scottish politics:

“It is never difficult to distinguish between with a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”
    Blandings Castle
    No wonder they have a grievance, the number of times PBers come up with that as if it was astoundingly original.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The problem with this theory of an interim FM is that that person would need the approval of the Parliament as well. And they wouldn't have the benefit of the casting vote on that. If their interim candidate was rejected the 28 days will continue to tick.

The other thing that occurred to me was that if any MSP managed to get themselves charged and felt the need to stand down even Regan would not be able to save the SNP government. Which is the reason that we have had this nonsense of a coalition throughout. Its just too tight.

Which makes a lot of sense, esp. as you are on the ground, or up the glen, or something like that.

My point is, might the tightness of the numbers might itself offer a way out - for a wee while anyway. But your argument probably makes more sense the closer you get to the Heart of Midlothian.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    After today's events looks like Labour are heading back to power at Westminster and Holyrood for the first time since 2010. Holding still power in Wales they will then govern all 3 home nations of GB and the UK again
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I also came up with 'Thistle do nicely for Starmer' and I've got one ready for election night that will outdo all of them.
    SNP blown down?
  • Options
    Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    I’m putting the odds on a GE being called tomorrow or next week at 50%

That’s about 250 Con MPs being thrown to the wolves - if I’m right, of course.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1783546081524990241
  • Options
    edited April 25

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Are you sure you will be able to sit on it for that long?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

Is there a typo in 'stuff'?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

From a distance...

Blandings Castle
    No wonder they have a grievance, the number of times PBers come up with that as if it was astoundingly original.
    I think that's a general gripe against the existence of cliches.
  • Options

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

The odds on an election being called in the next week rise steeply, on the grounds she's never yet been right on any issue.

Except far right.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

Could be worse.

Could have been asking about the national education system.
    Labour HQ servers can only cope with some much bile at one sitting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

After today's events looks like Labour are heading back to power at Westminster and Holyrood for the first time since 2010. Holding still power in Wales they will then govern all 3 home nations of GB and the UK again

One day, perhaps, all four nations will have a party which is competitive in each.

More likely there won't be four nations before that happens.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

Yes. Separate out a few questions. (1) Who wants to get rid of the current SNP leader (2) Who wants a Holyrood election by June/July
    (3) To what extent does anyone know what they are doing.

The motion is against the leader not the Scottish government. So the evidence thus far is that no-one wants an early election, and so that won't happen unless they all act stupidly. Which they might.

The likely result: 50/50 chance that Yousaf will survive for now. 90% chance there won't be an early election. 40% chance we shall end up with K Forbes as leader, which event would shift the dynamics of Scottish and UK politics bigly.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

From a distance...

Blandings Castle
    I think that's a general gripe against the existence of cliches.
    Well, they certainly give me a grievance!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    So basically Ash gets to tell the SNP who the next First Minister will be.

Isn't democracy a wonderful thing.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Are you sure you will be able to sit on it for that long?
    Yes, it can only work on election night.
  • Options

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

When would they not be thrown to the wolves? As she has long complained the mighty Boris is not here to save them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Problem is, Labour and the LDs\ fiddled Holyrood so no party could dominate ie win outright. Alex Salmond disproved that, but it is still largely true. Labour would be doing very well to govern Scotland in other than a minority, or a coalition with the Scottish Greens. Can't see them doing it with the Tories, and the LDs have learnt their lesson fromt he past.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,327

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

It’s a while ago, but when I was receiving chemotherapy as an outpatient I had one appointment at 9 am. Sadly the treatment had to be made up fresh, and took an hour or so to do, so I didn’t get the treatment until 10.30. Waste of my time, took up space in the ward for an extra 1h and 30m. A better system would realise that the chemo would never be ready at 9.
  • Options

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

It's an interestingly sudden rumour.

Maybe Sunak is thinking that he has played a blinder this week.
  • Options

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

I genuinely don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Feedback loops are good, and AI can process the results in a way that makes sense. However Streeting will be not in charge of hospitals (the trees), he will be in charge of the NHSes and health (the wood), and the skillset is different.

There once was a general (I think it was Westmoreland) who got involved with a supply depot, complaining about a thing going missing. This was held against him, because minutae like that is not for his level.

And, as I have repeatedly pointed out, the NHS will have to expand to cope with the death wave as the Boomers die. I really don't think he understands this.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

So she's right whatever happens.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

If he loses, what then?

This looks a nasty mess.

Opinion here seems to be that Scottish Tories are not keen, either.

But bear in mind the voting system is bent like Westminster, only in the opposite direction - it has a reverse effect from FPTP in terms of seats per vote.
    What I meant to say (and should have) is that Tories in Scotland have no where to go but up, thus giving Conservatives an uptick and fillip (however limited & brief) with media, pundits, donors, activists and (lest we forget) swing voters including disenchanted and/or former Tory voters, both right AND center.

In theory anyway. Perhaps maybe?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

From a distance...

Blandings Castle
    Not really. It is a truth universally acknowledged that, as Lord Peter Wimsey comments, the use of quotations by others saves the trouble of original thought.
  • Options

That's the SNP in 1979 fallacy. Like pretending that Labour and the LDs had nothing to do with Mr Callaghan's fall.

In rseality, every SNP MSP - and, indeed, every other MSP - gets to tell them. Even if it is just abstention.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

From a distance...

Blandings Castle
    Not really. It is a truth universally acknowledged that, as Lord Peter Wimsey comments, the use of quotations by others saves the trouble of original thought.
    Unless it is in Latin when one demonstrates one's own learnedness and fitness to be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 189
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Problem is, Labour and the LDs\ fiddled Holyrood so no party could dominate ie win outright. Alex Salmond disproved that, but it is still largely true. Labour would be doing very well to govern Scotland in other than a minority, or a coalition with the Scottish Greens. Can't see them doing it with the Tories, and the LDs have learnt their lesson fromt he past.
    "LDs have learnt their lesson from the past."

I very much doubt that.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

That's the SNP in 1979 fallacy. Like pretending that Labour and the LDs had nothing to do with Mr Callaghan's fall.

In rseality, every SNP MSP - and, indeed, every other MSP - gets to tell them. Even if it is just abstention.

Whilst true, the straw that breaks the camel's back is the straw that gets noticed and the book deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I for one still believe Sturgeon quitting and what followed with the legal troubles was a complete coincidence .
    I have the Forth Bridge to sell you. £5. Buyer collects.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,350

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

Blimey. Hadn't realised that Angela Rayner was that powerful. Throw the Words of Dorries across the dispatch box and within days the entire government collapses.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

I genuinely don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Feedback loops are good, and AI can process the results in a way that makes sense. However Streeting will be not in charge of hospitals (the trees), he will be in charge of the NHSes and health (the wood), and the skillset is different.

There once was a general (I think it was Westmoreland) who got involved with a supply depot, complaining about a thing going missing. This was held against him, because minutae like that is not for his level.

And, as I have repeatedly pointed out, the NHS will have to expand to cope with the death wave as the Boomers die. I really don't think he understands this.
    Nor sure it's going to be the death wave that's the challenge. The almost dead wave is the challenge.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I very much doubt that.
    The first lesson people should learn from politics is that no one learns any lessons.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Rt Hon Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries

It's an interestingly sudden rumour.

Maybe Sunak is thinking that he has played a blinder this week.
    He was very upbeat on the plane from Warsaw according to the journos.

Demob happy?
  • Options
    edited April 25
    viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

Whilst true, the straw that breaks the camel's back is the straw that gets noticed and the book deal.
    On that logic, it's the last person to stroll into the voting lobby, or rather (at Westminster) press the button, that counts.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

A coalition involving the Labour and the Lib Dems wouldn’t be as toxic at Holyrood as it would be at Westminster. I still expect a Lab Lib Green government after the next Holyrood election, whenever it might be.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I very much doubt that.
    The SLDs are led by the idiotic Alex Cole Hamilton, who would sell his own granny for a ministerial post.

• Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I very much doubt that.
    The SLDs are led by the idiotic Alex Cole Hamilton, who would sell his own granny for a ministerial post.

Now be fair, maybe his dear old gran would be happy to be sold to see her beloved grandson get a government issued chaffeur.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    2h

It’s a while ago, but when I was receiving chemotherapy as an outpatient I had one appointment at 9 am. Sadly the treatment had to be made up fresh, and took an hour or so to do, so I didn’t get the treatment until 10.30. Waste of my time, took up space in the ward for an extra 1h and 30m. A better system would realise that the chemo would never be ready at 9.
    No, bring pharmacy staff in at 7.30am.
    As a once upon a time hospital pharmacist I was always mildly annoyed that we worked office hours.
    Except on Sundays.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

A coalition involving the Labour and the Lib Dems wouldn’t be as toxic at Holyrood as it would be at Westminster. I still expect a Lab Lib Green government after the next Holyrood election, whenever it might be.
    Well, they'll get the trans legislation throuigh, that's for sure, given Slab abd SLD support.

The interesting issues however include Mr Cole-Hamilton's support for Morningside tractors, and SKS's policymaking down in London which might not go down well with the Greens. But who's to say what he will do once he's PM?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

You have two voting blocks. And one swing voter.

And as we all know, it is swing voters who decide elections.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

A traffic light coalition.

How's that for another cliché?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

From a distance...

Blandings Castle
    Was just trying to recall who said that, and IF it was "a Scotsman" OR "an Irishman" either being most apropos.

As Lord Peter might say, well quoted.