Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Welcome to Gilead – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    edited April 9
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Tbf that is getting more often, where I am done a recce of all the nearby cafe's they all do english breakfasts but none of them have a fried slice which is the best bit

At last, a subject on which I can speak with some authority.

You're quite right - a good fried slice goes a long way but the other two things I look for when judging a cafe is how they cook mushrooms and second, the quality of the sausage not just in terms of how it's cooked but whether it's a decent banger or something cheap and horrible. You can ruin a good sausage by bad cooking but it's impossible to make a bad sausage really good.

Cafes owned and run by Turks, Greeks or Portuguese often do a very good Full English and while you can pay a bit more for quality there's plenty of good places which can still be value. My hint is NOT to order the Set options - choose what you want and tell them. My "normal" is two fried eggs, fried slice, mushrooms and sausage.

I have my favourites - in London, Becks in Red Lion Street offers kidneys as part of the breakfast options and they are a real treat. There's a couple of places in East London where the bubble is exceptional. Pellicci's in Bethnal Green Road is a East London institution. I was in Woolwich yesterday and tried the Arsenal Gate Cafe - unpretentious, good value and while not top notch, well cooked and very tasty albeit not the best quality ingredients.
    I am by no means saying its the only thing and what you mentioned is important, I am just noticing more and more its the omitted thing from menu's
    Which is odd given a. everyone loves fried bread (don’t they?), b. it’s cheap to make.

American influence? Their bastardised chain hotel versions of British cooked breakfasts complete with brittle streaky bacon strips and mini pancakes with maple syrup have perhaps influenced the global perception of what a fry up is.

How else to explain the proliferation of hash browns? I mean we all like a rösti, but in its place - with a schnitzel. Not with breakfast.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

Pete Buttigieg minus the elephant in the room would trounce Trump,.

Sadly I don’t see a gay candidate winning the Presidency.

I was on a cruise full of Americans a few years ago. They were mainly Never Trump Republicans and the concensus was that Mayor Pete's sexuality would not be the problem I suggested it would be. They reckoned those who had a problem would never have voted for him anyway as he was a Dem.
    Interesting, I had a similar experience on an American cruise (in Europe) earlier this year. I have a theory that the hard-core MAGA crowd don't travel abroad much, so you're unlikely to meet them outside the US.
    Did you read the almost-hilarious but extremely snobby and a tad too long account of a cruise trip in The Atlantic this week?

https://t.co/TXxKH4IEVF

I hadn't seen it but have just read it now.

I'm not really sure how to react, the author was clearly certain he would not enjoy the experience and so it turned out. Our experience, on smaller, UK cruise boats has been very different. But I am not going to evangelise about cruising - if you think you're going to hate it you probably should give it a miss. We quite enjoy it though.

We have been on many cruises including expedition to Antarctica and on each and every one they were chosen for the places to visit and not for the social side, winning and dining

And Arsenal now 1 up
    Mrs Stodge and I have done a fair number of cruises. Our current favourite lines are Princess and Holland America though we've yet to try Celebrity. Our last was on Anthem of the Seas which was built in 2015 and looks dated. The main issue was the constant upselling by the crew - the requests for money made it feel like home though it was done by people better dressed than our usual quality of panhandler on the District Line.
    The cruise we were on unfortunately ran into a force 11 storm in the bay of biscay and as we were at a table for 8 and the only two that showed up due to others feeling sea sick we accidentaly found we had 4 lobsters each....we werent complaining
    Same thing happened to us a few years back on Aurora. Only a Force 10 but Mrs Stodge wasn't feeling well so she went back to her cabin during dinner leaving me to eat my dinner (and hers).

By the time I got to bed she was asleep but the ship was really moving. I had a glass of water by my side and I could see it at one point moving toward me. In the morning, I found it had dropped on to the floor but had stayed upright with not a drop spilt....
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited April 9

Off topic, but important: "Canada's spy agency believes the Chinese government "clandestinely and deceptively" interfered in both the 2019 and 2021 federal elections — and a top secret briefing note discussed at the Foreign Interference Commission shows the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) told the Prime Minister's Office about it in February 2023.

The document, described by one lawyer appearing before the commission's public inquiry as "remarkable," was tabled on Monday."
    source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pmo-briefing-leaks-1.7167090

(Is there a list of the countries where Xi, Putin, and the Mullahs have interfered -- or tried to - in elections?)

Posted previously but Microsoft's threat analysis group has just published a report on Chinese interference. (Ironically, Chinese hackers recently broke into American government messages from a Microsoft email server.)

China tests US voter fault lines and ramps AI content to boost its geopolitical interests
    https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2024/04/04/china-ai-influence-elections-mtac-cybersecurity/
    https://cdn-dynmedia-1.microsoft.com/is/content/microsoftcorp/microsoft/final/en-us/microsoft-brand/documents/MTAC-East-Asia-Report.pdf
  • Options
    No, the same tired old Axis of the 50s and 60s but the role of leading power has shifted several thousand miles to the east. Beijing will be calling the shots this time, not Moscow.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Tbf that is getting more often, where I am done a recce of all the nearby cafe's they all do english breakfasts but none of them have a fried slice which is the best bit

You're quite right - a good fried slice goes a long way but the other two things I look for when judging a cafe is how they cook mushrooms and second, the quality of the sausage not just in terms of how it's cooked but whether it's a decent banger or something cheap and horrible. You can ruin a good sausage by bad cooking but it's impossible to make a bad sausage really good.

Cafes owned and run by Turks, Greeks or Portuguese often do a very good Full English and while you can pay a bit more for quality there's plenty of good places which can still be value. My hint is NOT to order the Set options - choose what you want and tell them. My "normal" is two fried eggs, fried slice, mushrooms and sausage.

I have my favourites - in London, Becks in Red Lion Street offers kidneys as part of the breakfast options and they are a real treat. There's a couple of places in East London where the bubble is exceptional. Pellicci's in Bethnal Green Road is a East London institution. I was in Woolwich yesterday and tried the Arsenal Gate Cafe - unpretentious, good value and while not top notch, well cooked and very tasty albeit not the best quality ingredients.
    I am by no means saying its the only thing and what you mentioned is important, I am just noticing more and more its the omitted thing from menu's
    Which is odd given a. everyone loves fried bread (don’t they?), b. it’s cheap to make.

American influence? Their bastardised chain hotel versions of British cooked breakfasts complete with brittle streaky bacon strips and mini pancakes with maple syrup have perhaps influenced the global perception of what a fry up is.

How else to explain the proliferation of hash browns? I mean we all like a rösti, but in its place - with a schnitzel. Not with breakfast.
    Proper fried bread is trickier to make than pushing a frozen slab of hash brown into a pan, you need to make the dip for it etc and if no one orders it will be wasted
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,223
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

But american Hash Browns are proper, even in cheap diners:

So we can't blame them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

I was on a cruise full of Americans a few years ago. They were mainly Never Trump Republicans and the concensus was that Mayor Pete's sexuality would not be the problem I suggested it would be. They reckoned those who had a problem would never have voted for him anyway as he was a Dem.
    Interesting, I had a similar experience on an American cruise (in Europe) earlier this year. I have a theory that the hard-core MAGA crowd don't travel abroad much, so you're unlikely to meet them outside the US.
    Did you read the almost-hilarious but extremely snobby and a tad too long account of a cruise trip in The Atlantic this week?

I'm not really sure how to react, the author was clearly certain he would not enjoy the experience and so it turned out. Our experience, on smaller, UK cruise boats has been very different. But I am not going to evangelise about cruising - if you think you're going to hate it you probably should give it a miss. We quite enjoy it though.

We have been on many cruises including expedition to Antarctica and on each and every one they were chosen for the places to visit and not for the social side, winning and dining

And Arsenal now 1 up
    Mrs Stodge and I have done a fair number of cruises. Our current favourite lines are Princess and Holland America though we've yet to try Celebrity. Our last was on Anthem of the Seas which was built in 2015 and looks dated. The main issue was the constant upselling by the crew - the requests for money made it feel like home though it was done by people better dressed than our usual quality of panhandler on the District Line.
    The cruise we were on unfortunately ran into a force 11 storm in the bay of biscay and as we were at a table for 8 and the only two that showed up due to others feeling sea sick we accidentaly found we had 4 lobsters each....we werent complaining
    Same thing happened to us a few years back on Aurora. Only a Force 10 but Mrs Stodge wasn't feeling well so she went back to her cabin during dinner leaving me to eat my dinner (and hers).

By the time I got to bed she was asleep but the ship was really moving. I had a glass of water by my side and I could see it at one point moving toward me. In the morning, I found it had dropped on to the floor but had stayed upright with not a drop spilt....
    I got told off for taking a stroll round the deck during it
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    I've just updated the thread header with this tweet

https://twitter.com/BrookeGoren/status/1777756626797134277
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    carnforth said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtl002X-sY

Really good interview. Mr Horowitz was a big part of my childhood.

Get better Horowitz role models:

https://youtu.be/p1-uOCXQ_0I
    That was also who I was thinking of. One of the first classical recordings I ever bought was Horowitz/ Toscanini playing the Brahms second concerto. I’ve heard many different recordings since, but they all sound plodding by comparison.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    Penalty to Bayern
  • Options
    carnforth said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

But american Hash Browns are proper, even in cheap diners:

So we can't blame them.
    Their 'instant' version:

Still requires frying.
  • Options
    Penalty to Bayern.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

And Arsenal now 1 up

Good for you
  • Options
    Harry Kane scores
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,609
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

Believe it or not, I actually went on a cruise, due mainly to my gf developing a phobia against flying just couldn't get her on a plane. We were both jeans and tee shirts sort of people...I still am and probably she still is....but because we were going on a cruise we did the whole formal thing for the required 3 nights, cocktail dress and suits for the informal and stuff to fit in. We selected to sit at a table for 8 rather than just us 2. There were definitely a few people we met we disliked. Most were just normal friendly people though. We never did it again but yes we had a good time and met some great people from many other walks of life
    Had similar experience (though sans girlfriend) on 7-day (Royal) Caribbean cruise. Also met some interesting folks, who probably would not have encountered otherwise than in a floating city.

Personally found the crew more interesting than the passengers. Whereas the passengers tended to be what you might call lower-upper middle-class USers & UKers with few Euros, Arabs & LatinAms, in contrast the crew was far more diverse AND socially stratified:
    > British & Dutch ship's officers and top-deck crew
    > European shop assistants, beauticians and other personal service
    > West Indian cabin attendants (friendliest group, working for tips obviously, but also naturally friendly)
    > Southeast Asian (esp. Filipino) engineering & other lower deck crew (rarely spied by passengers)
    > Just one or two Americans (due to tax reasons) including the cruise ship entertainment director & mc.
  • Options
    Well

Breaking: Israeli Channel 12

-Israeli hostages who were released were summoned to hear the results of an investigation conducted by the Israeli Air Force regarding the events of October 7th.

-Officers confessed to receiving orders to intercept vehicles leaving Nir Oz towards Gaza and to kill those inside.

-8 of the released hostages narrowly escaped gunfire from army helicopters.

-The army helicopter departed after a shooting operation that killed Israeli soldier Kats, while those who survived arrived in Gaza with their captors.

https://twitter.com/RamAbdu/status/1777760864575139895
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,851
    I think the phrase used in this context is "the autocracies against the democracies"
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

And Arsenal now 1 up

Good for you
    Shrugs always loved being out in storms ever since I was a kid and my parents often found me on sitting on the balcony during typhoons when I lived in hong kong
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited April 9
    carnforth said:

MattW said:

carnforth said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

TrumpToast club:

TSE
    Nigelb
    MattW
    DavidL
    MarqueeMark
    Moi

I hope it's much less exclusive by August.

Can I apply for membership? How much are the fees?
    I have no Trump Toast illustration yet, just these :smile:

Soon to be joined by the current Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner, who remarkably is the new Conservative PCC Candidate for May 2nd 2024. They have gone mad.
    I must be very lucky. In 20 years of driving I must have done 35 in a 30 accidentally numerous times, but I've never been ticketed.

(This morning my insurance renewal came through. £228pa down from £423pa. So maybe I am just charmed.)
    I'm not sure about those particular roads (probably the A610 which, but
    carnforth said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

TrumpToast club:

TSE
    Nigelb
    MattW
    DavidL
    MarqueeMark
    Moi

I hope it's much less exclusive by August.

Can I apply for membership? How much are the fees?
    I have no Trump Toast illustration yet, just these :smile:

Soon to be joined by the current Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner, who remarkably is the new Conservative PCC Candidate for May 2nd 2024. They have gone mad.
    I must be very lucky. In 20 years of driving I must have done 35 in a 30 accidentally numerous times, but I've never been ticketed.

(This morning my insurance renewal came through. £228pa down from £423pa. So maybe I am just charmed.)
    One hopes for at least a modicum of grey matter and environmental awareness, and a lack of hypocrisy, in prospective PCCs.

And that's without getting into road safety debates, where there may be different views.

Nottingham has been using averaging speed cameras since the 1990s (the Association of British Drivers made a huge fuss back then, even before 1998), and is pretty notorious for cracking down on speeders on radial routes - especially on urban dual carriageways.

I think all of those sites have had averaging or fixed cameras for more than 10 years, and perhaps 20 years, before she was caught.
    Ah, averaging does put a different slant on it. Though I'm not sure that happens on 30mph routes.
    It has been in place for decades.

SPECS averaging speed camera, and a 30mph and speed camera sign.

Nuthall Road, Nottingham in 2008 Google Streetview.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9851494,-1.2005113,3a,61.7y,133.59h,77.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2sIuJnurD1EulTmlRAqycg!2e0!5s20080901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Take care out there.

The last time I got a ticket was on Wollaton Vale (urban dual carriageway) in Nottingham beyond the end of University Boulevard, when they had dropped the limit from 40 to 30 about 10 years ago, and I missed the changed sign not having driven up there for a couple of years.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

It's my experience if you don't see it you can ask and if you catch them at a quiet time or in a good mood they'll do it.
  • Options

Well

Breaking: Israeli Channel 12

-Israeli hostages who were released were summoned to hear the results of an investigation conducted by the Israeli Air Force regarding the events of October 7th.

-Officers confessed to receiving orders to intercept vehicles leaving Nir Oz towards Gaza and to kill those inside.

-8 of the released hostages narrowly escaped gunfire from army helicopters.

-The army helicopter departed after a shooting operation that killed Israeli soldier Kats, while those who survived arrived in Gaza with their captors.

https://twitter.com/RamAbdu/status/1777760864575139895

Israel must be stopped.
  • Options
    Ok, what's better: deep fried bread or shallow fried bread?

I go shallow, home style. Cafe deep fried bread is too rich for me. Sacrilege?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

It's my experience if you don't see it you can ask and if you catch them at a quiet time or in a good mood they'll do it.
    Reason I am looking is a good friend from new orleans and my goddaughter are coming over in july and first uk visit so wanted to give them the full english breakfast experience
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949
    stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

I always find the halved tomato a bit of 'a tell' for breakfasts. Looks vaguely cooked on the outside - nice bit of char on the skin - but ice-cold in the middle.
  • Options
    For all those of you who do cruises, can you tell me if the bathrooms have a bath (as opposed to just a shower)?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Depends what you like really, lately been getting into fried crumpets
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Do you mean 'classical' shallow fried, or 'mean spirited, modern shallow fried'?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    stodge said:

No, the same tired old Axis of the 50s and 60s but the role of leading power has shifted several thousand miles to the east. Beijing will be calling the shots this time, not Moscow.
    It will, but let's not think it omnipotent.

It's demographics are shite, and it depends on trade for its prosperity.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

For all those of you who do cruises, can you tell me if the bathrooms have a bath (as opposed to just a shower)?

Ours just had a shower but then we didn't go for the more expensive state rooms as we were just there to sleep and change and wash
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Do you mean 'classical' shallow fried, or 'mean spirited, modern shallow fried'?
    Fried in the remains of the pan used for cooking the other ingredients.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Shallow all the way. Much more interesting, better texture, more flavour (usually more salt), nice charred sections.

Likewise fried egg. When cooked in a sea of fat on a tray it just looks like fat covered poached egg. Needs some browning.

And bacon? Streaky and crisp, or thick and meaty? For a B&B or greasy spoon it has to be thick and meaty.
  • Options
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

Shallow all the way. Much more interesting, better texture, more flavour (usually more salt), nice charred sections.

Likewise fried egg. When cooked in a sea of fat on a tray it just looks like fat covered poached egg. Needs some browning.

And bacon? Streaky and crisp, or thick and meaty? For a B&B or greasy spoon it has to be thick and meaty.
    I prefer by a mile back bacon to streaky
  • Options
    stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Also, a 'slice' round here means a slice of square sausage. As in 'a roll and slice'.

Which is a thing of deep joy. In moderation.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Our balcony suites had showers
  • Options
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

This is a minority opinion, I know, but unsmoked streaky all the way. I don't want to eat thin gammon in the morning.

The french fry eggs in very hot oil, putting the lid on to cook the top. So the egg is crispy on the bottom and soft on the top. Very good.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    stodge said:

This year is going to be a total mess of internet disinformation and AI fakery, anywhere that elections are being held.

Most of it is going to originate in, or be sponsored by, Russia and China.

They don’t care who actually wins the election, they just want two tribes screaming at each other and there to be enough doubt in the result.

See what’s going on in Brazil at the moment, for a taster of what’s to come elsewhere. Twitter are currently trying to get their employees out of the country, after a judge tried to shut their service down for failing to block opponents of the new government.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

To most Americans (at least of certain age) the word "crumpet" brings to mind (thanks to Brit comedians) something OTHER than, fried bread for breakfast.

Though of course, lucky ones can & may enjoy BOTH for their morning pick-me-up.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

This is a minority opinion, I know, but unsmoked streaky all the way. I don't want to eat thin gammon in the morning.

The french fry eggs in very hot oil, putting the lid on to cook the top. So the egg is crispy on the bottom and soft on the top. Very good.
    smoked streaky if making a ragu sauce for spaghetti, back bacon for a breakfast fry
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Reason I am looking is a good friend from new orleans and my goddaughter are coming over in july and first uk visit so wanted to give them the full english breakfast experience
    Is this London?

My favourite Full English was always in the Austrian style cafe on Swain's Lane at the lower end of Highgate towards the Parish Church before a walk across Parliament Hill.

But the row of shops has been redeveloped since, so it may have been "chicced"-up.
  • Options
    edited April 9
    viewcode said:

If you want a bath, you’re likely in an expensive suite rather than a standard room. But yes, you can get bathrooms with baths. 90% of the rooms will have only showers.

My wife too.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Fried in the remains of the pan used for cooking the other ingredients.
    I have honestly never encountered that. Fried bread here is treated to it's own, glorious fresh oil/butter/fat/whatever and savoured for it's own taste. Then dipped/mopped/whatever into the rest of the ingredients.

Also, I'm now hungry.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

To most Americans (at least of certain age) the word "crumpet" brings to mind (thanks to Brit comedians) something OTHER than, fried bread for breakfast.

Yes I realised that after I promised my friend to make bloody mary crumpets for her and her daughter while I was over and had to teach her what a crumpet was
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

smoked streaky if making a ragu sauce for spaghetti, back bacon for a breakfast fry
    Small slices of white pudding fried in butter, then stirred through the ragu. That's the magic.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    viewcode said:

As per Pagan, generally showers except in the more expensive suites.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

Small slices of white pudding fried in butter, then stirred through the ragu. That's the magic.
    Will have to try that
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

My favourite Full English was always in the Austrian style cafe on Swain's Lane at the lower end of Highgate towards the Parish Church before a walk across Parliament Hill.

But the row of shops has been redeveloped since, so it may have been "chicced"-up.
    When I first went to work in London in the late 80s, behind the south side of London at Marble Arch was the 5 Star cafe, which made an unequalled breakfast.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Yes I realised that after I promised my friend to make bloody mary crumpets for her and her daughter while I was over and had to teach her what a crumpet was
    What is a bloody mary crumpet? But, first, what's a crumpet?

Last question only half in jest! (A small dimpled pancake?)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

If you want a bath, you’re likely in an expensive suite rather than a standard room. But yes, you can get bathrooms with baths. 90% of the rooms will have only showers.

My wife too.
    ??
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

The abortion laws in the US are appalling.

I hope Trump doesn't win. Better hope Trump doesn't win. Not only will women be worse off, we will have a much much bigger and more direct russia problem on our borders.

https://x.com/David_Cameron/status/1775976983203053788

(Cameron makes Sunak look like a bumbling amateur in this video. I am not pro conservative, but this is an expert politician at work. Very professional - this is the kind of material the tories need. 10 people of that calibre to stand a chance)

The election or otherwise of a president, has nothing to do with an issue that is reserved to the individual States themselves.

Yes, Mr Cameron is doing a very good job of British diplomacy, speaking to both sides in the US today to try and unlock more Ukraine aid.
    But that's not quite true.

If it was solely reserved for individual states, then I would support it. But already you've had a State Court in Texas attempt to impose a nationwide ban on an FDA approved drug. Not a Texas ban, but a nationwide one.
    It's completely untrue.

If it were "reserved to the individual States" that would be constitutional fact, and your (or anyone else's) support or otherwise would be irrelevant.

What the Dobbs ruling did was to say that women have no constitutionally protected right to choose to have an abortion.
    Because the Constitution doesn’t mention abortion.

Roe v Wade was the duff judgement, and the last 60 years of US history on the subject stem from that.
    More importantly, the 10th Amendment says that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution ... are reserved to the States ..." So anything not explicitly federal is state. Abortion isn't explicitly federal, so it's a state matter. Roe was an end-run around that, and all the contortions about privacy in penumbras was so much sophistry. And that's why it's been controversial ever since.
    Amendment XIV says "Yo!"
    It’s amusing that Fishing thinks he knows better than not only the court which decided Roe v Wade, but also the one which overturned it.
  • Options
    edited April 9

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

When I first went to work in London in the late 80s, behind the south side of London at Marble Arch was the 5 Star cafe, which made an unequalled breakfast.
    Other London eateries I would go out of my way to revisit are Marine Ices on Haverstock Hill, Rasa Thai on Charlotte Street, and Veeraswamy on Regent Street.

To talk about notorious history, go to a Spaghetti House and discuss sieges.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

https://www.warburtons.co.uk/news/crumpet-recipe-revealed/

its about half an inch thick so wouldnt call it a pancake

A bloody mary crumpet is you dip them in a mixture of egg, worcester sauce, hp sauce and ketchup and shallow fry then top them with a mixture of cottage cheese, salmon, shrimp and dill....a pleasant starter and no idea why they are called that
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

A bloody mary crumpet is you dip them in a mixture of egg, worcester sauce, hp sauce and ketchup and shallow fry then top them with a mixture of cottage cheese, salmon, shrimp and dill....a pleasant starter and no idea why they are called that
    Wot No Celery?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

There's a guy on YouTube (at least one) whose channel is all about trying and comparing traditional English breakfasts breakfasts. (Also Irish & Scottish on holidays.)

IIRC, he was favorably impressed by restaurant in at least one of the big Oxford St. department stores.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

2,210 UK adults, 5-7 April

(chg 25-27 March)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Wot No Celery?
    You could certainly add finely chopped celery to the mix
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    stodge said:

It's a great pity that Russia is ending up as a satrapy of China. If it could have been pulled toward Western Europe, that would have led to a far more positive and stable future both for Russia and its neighbours.
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Today's ComRes SKS fans please explain
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

You forgot:

SKS fans please explain
  • Options

stodge said:

It will, but let's not think it omnipotent.

It's demographics are shite, and it depends on trade for its prosperity.
    There's also a risk north of zero that China decides it will be easier to take out eastern Russia than grab Taiwan. China has territorial claims to the Vladivostok area. Russia would be desperately exposed, for the next decade or so. Such kit as it has left is committed west of the Urals.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

This year is going to be a total mess of internet disinformation and AI fakery, anywhere that elections are being held.

They don’t care who actually wins the election, they just want two tribes screaming at each other and there to be enough doubt in the result.

See what’s going on in Brazil at the moment, for a taster of what’s to come elsewhere. Twitter are currently trying to get their employees out of the country, after a judge tried to shut their service down for failing to block opponents of the new government.
    The 'opponents of the new government' are, apparently, accounts linked to " far-right movements which posted content related to riots on 8 January last year when thousands of supporters of Brazil's former President Jair Bolsonaro stormed the country's Congress, the Supreme Court and the presidential palace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2ygp5pdqlo
  • Options

stodge said:

It's a great pity that Russia is ending up as a satrapy of China. If it could have been pulled toward Western Europe, that would have led to a far more positive and stable future both for Russia and its neighbours.
    Yes it would have been great if they’d chosen peace. But instead they chose war, and the rest of us are dealing with that decision at the moment.
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Looking forward to that first poll with Labour and the Tories both in the 30's.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    ??
    I usually get in trouble if hotel rooms only have showers, as she likes her bath!
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

Lordy. My first serious time in London (visited all the City Churches and Cleary's City micro-parks) was probably when starting an one-week-at-a-time work sponsored MSc in Software Reliability in 1991.

My signature eaterie was probably the Savoy for breakfast with the whole Sunday Times. The first time I discovered the New River Estate and enjoyed walking London nooks and corners.

I hated the Maths and had to talk my way out of it with management.
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Some time in 2026 I suspect.
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Interesting to see if this is the start of a trend or an outlier. Savanta often produce higher Conservative ratings than other pollsters and this is the highest Conservative poll number since More In Common nearly three weeks ago.

The usual split is 56-37 down from 58-36 last time so not much actual movement across the blocs. It's a lower number for Reform than most other recent polls.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    On the Bates testimony, you've missed an important bit.

He told Allan Leighton, the then Chair, in 2003 about the problems with Horizon and the contract the PO had with the subpostmasters (which it is clear the PO did not understand - as confirmed later by Mr Justice Fraser).

Had his allegations been properly investigated then - as they should have been - the scandal would never have happened. Most of the prosecutions happened long before Paula Vennells became CEO and they happened when the PO was still part of Royal Mail, which the government was desperate to privatise.

So there was every incentive for Royal Mail and PO managers to bury problems and for that desire to be shared by civil servants and by Ministers. What was in the various prospectus documents will make interesting reading. What Susan Crichton, the GC at the time of the privatisation and the later appointment of Second Sight and who left overnight in mysterious circumstances will say in evidence will be interesting.

Allan Leighton's evidence will be interesting too.

The idea that Ministers and civil servants were taking a hands off approach to a company they were keen to fatten up for privatisation, one which was costing them money and they were desperate to make profitable is for the birds. As I stated in one of my headers on this if you are the sole owner when all this crap is happening - and you are being told about it, as Ministers were and are being expected to pay for it all - hands off is not an option and is a big fat lie.
  • Options
    edited April 9

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    ??
    I usually get in trouble if hotel rooms only have showers, as she likes her bath!
    Ah right, I'm with your wife there.

(Er...)
    For the bath lovers a little add, I have made a couple of sets of stainless steel chain mail now so you can bathe without worrying about being stabbed nods...or going rusty
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He told Allan Leighton, the then Chair, in 2003 about the problems with Horizon and the contract the PO had with the subpostmasters (which it is clear the PO did not understand - as confirmed later by Mr Justice Fraser).

Had his allegations been properly investigated then - as they should have been - the scandal would never have happened. Most of the prosecutions happened long before Paula Vennells became CEO and they happened when the PO was still part of Royal Mail, which the government was desperate to privatise.

So there was every incentive for Royal Mail and PO managers to bury problems and for that desire to be shared by civil servants and by Ministers. What was in the various prospectus documents will make interesting reading. What Susan Crichton, the GC at the time of the privatisation and the later appointment of Second Sight and who left overnight in mysterious circumstances will say in evidence will be interesting.

The idea that Ministers and civil servants were taking a hands off approach to a company they were keen to fatten up for privatisation, one which was costing them money and they were desperate to make profitable is for the birds. As I stated in one of my headers on this if you are the sole owner when all this crap is happening - and you are being told about it, as Ministers were and are being expected to pay for it all - hands off is not an option and is a big fat lie.

Good evening.

Trusting you are well.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

The 'opponents of the new government' are, apparently, accounts linked to " far-right movements which posted content related to riots on 8 January last year when thousands of supporters of Brazil's former President Jair Bolsonaro stormed the country's Congress, the Supreme Court and the presidential palace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2ygp5pdqlo
    Believe that Bolsonaro is still residing at the Hungarian embassy in Brasilia?
  • Options

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Polling day plus one week. The switchover from "Get the Tories out" to "I miss the Tories. We didn't know when we were well off" is due to take place at midnight that night.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

Unless there is black pudding it isn't a proper breakfast.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Yes it would have been great if they’d chosen peace. But instead they chose war, and the rest of us are dealing with that decision at the moment.
    That is undeniable fact. But in the same way that a rapist is 100% guilty of the rape, but it is still ill-advised to frequent dark alleys alone in a short skirt, there is a role that the US and the EU have played in getting us here. By supporting the Maidan protests that unseated Yanukovich and pulled Ukraine out of Russia's sphere of influence, they added to the chain of events that led us to this point.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    ??

(Er...)
    For the bath lovers a little add, I have made a couple of sets of stainless steel chain mail now so you can bathe without worrying about being stabbed nods...or going rusty
    Possibly one of the most bizarre PB posts ever - and there's a lot of competition.
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

You do know what it's made of?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    viewcode said:

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Polling day plus one week. The switchover from "Get the Tories out" to "I miss the Tories. We didn't know when we were well off" is due to take place at midnight that night.
    No chance!

All governments get a honeymoon. The Tories will poll even lower in their hangover period.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Who's the pollster?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

The cafe is still there, but has changed name/ownership. It's fine, but I don't think it's as you remember.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your info regarding baths on cruises. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

No chance!

All governments get a honeymoon. The Tories will poll even lower in their hangover period.
    Indeed, if Starmer's Labour turn out to be a dud it will take a few months at least for the electorate to find out.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This wiki entry is rather remarkable for its LACK of mention of the Post Office . . . except at very bottom.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Leighton
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

carnforth said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtl002X-sY

Really good interview. Mr Horowitz was a big part of my childhood.

Get better Horowitz role models:

https://youtu.be/p1-uOCXQ_0I
    That was also who I was thinking of. One of the first classical recordings I ever bought was Horowitz/ Toscanini playing the Brahms second concerto. I’ve heard many different recordings since, but they all sound plodding by comparison.
    Kovacevich recorded a pretty good version.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

That is undeniable fact. But in the same way that a rapist is 100% guilty of the rape, but it is still ill-advised to frequent dark alleys alone in a short skirt, there is a role that the US and the EU have played in getting us here. By supporting the Maidan protests that unseated Yanukovich and pulled Ukraine out of Russia's sphere of influence, they added to the chain of events that led us to this point.
    Other analogies are available and, in this instance, advisable
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Who's the pollster?
    Sevanta
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

A shout out for a full Scottish breakfast - with haggis.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    ??

(Er...)
    LOL!

Most decent hotels where we’d go for a holiday now have baths, but there’s still the occasional Travel Inn that requires advance briefing that it’s only a shower. A cruise ship is a different kettle of fish though, as you normally need to get a proper two room suite (at $$$$) to see a bath there, as space is at such a premium onboard.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    ??

(Er...)
    Possibly one of the most bizarre PB posts ever - and there's a lot of competition.
    We all have our hobbies
  • Options

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

What, so Ukraine was wearing a short skirt in a dark alley?

Russia should have wanted to join the West, against China - but instead they decided to be imperial rapists. Quite literally.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

Who's the pollster?
    Savanta
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

Which is why, when informing American guests of their breakfast options, British B&B proprietors tend to ask, "would you like the English Breakfast, or the FULL English Breakfast?"
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Not supporting the Maidan protesters after Yanukovoch sent in his thugs would, to extend the somewhat unseemly analogy, be tantamount to standing idly on the side while someone you know is raped. I’m glad we didn’t do that.

I have enough experience of dealing with the fallout from an abusive ex-husband to know the last thing you should do is stand aside while others get beaten up.
  • Options

stodge said:

Hard to disagree with that.

China of course needs resources which Siberia can provide - as to any actual territorial ambitions in the medium to longer term, we'll see. The Korean imbroglio needs resolution first I think perhaps via a Chinese-backed intervention to overthrow Juche and replace with a pro-Beijing administration which would be a lot better for the North Korean people.
  • Options
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Not supporting the Maidan protesters after Yanukovoch sent in his thugs would, to extend the somewhat unseemly analogy, be tantamount to standing idly on the side while someone you know is raped. I’m glad we didn’t do that.

I have enough experience of dealing with the fallout from an abusive ex-husband to know the last thing you should do is stand aside while others get beaten up.
    Can’t we use burglary and leaving the windows open instead? It is, as you say, an unseemly analogy.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Lab 42 (-3)
    Con 27 (+3)
    Reform 10 (-2)
    LD 10 (=)
    Green 4 (+1)
    SNP 3 (=)
    Other 4 (+1)

(chg 25-27 March)

No chance!

Indeed, if Starmer's Labour turn out to be a dud it will take a few months at least for the electorate to find out.
    For comparison, after 1997, the Conservatives got their first 30% rating in November of that year. Labour didn't fall below 40% until the September 2001 fuel crisis.

Any bad stuff Labour does in the first couple of years of their term will be blamed on 'clearing up the Tories' mess'. And voters will go for that, in much the same way they did in 2010. It's the same lessons that Labour ignored in 2010, Remain ignored after 2016, and Conservatives ignored in 1997.

1. The voters are right, even when they are objectively wrong.
    2. Most people don't recant, though some might forget their former beliefs.

As Max Planck said in a different context, science progresses one funeral at a time.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,743

stodge said:

Yes and the West tried to welcome Russia post-Soviet Union, but unfortunately Putin had other ideas in mind.

Wasn't our choice what has happened, its entirely his. He has absolutely no interest in a westernised Russia.
  • Options
    I’m now going to take us even further off topic with an unsettling mystery.

Arrived home after a week and a half. One of our goldfish is missing. The catsitter swears she didn’t see it at all. It was there when we left. Has a cat eaten it? No evidence of bodies or bones anywhere, or of it jumping out. Cats weren’t in the same room during the holiday.

Weird.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

My wife too.
    I want a room or suite with no riff-raff nearby.
  • Options
    edited April 9

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

The cafe is still there, but has changed name/ownership. It's fine, but I don't think it's as you remember.
    It might have been Kalendar, which is still there according to the Google time machine. I'm going back to 2004 ish.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5618904,-0.1497711,3a,54.6y,2.32h,83.35t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1seKwK9wFavm5k5Hpt-k-Blg!2e0!5s20140601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

My other local inexpensive favourites were Zamoyski's (sp?) in South Hampstead, and Saturday mornings at the small French opposite the Belsize Park tube station. Looking in Google, I'd forgotten how many shops were near that tube.
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Is this London?

Which is why, when informing American guests of their breakfast options, British B&B proprietors tend to ask, "would you like the English Breakfast, or the FULL English Breakfast?"
    I went to a lovely cafe in New Haven for breakfast once. The issue was that I have a silly aversion to eggs, not quite a phobia, but more than a dislike. And that was all they had on the menu. Omelette or various types of egg. I managed to persuade them to give me some toast with my coffee.
This discussion has been closed.