Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The sum of all Keirs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,613
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

"WLabourhat I find really interesting about this MRP is that ..."

I find there is a need for some proofreading on this site.

Editing PB is one of my four full time jobs at the moment.

Plus editing on a phone is never fun.
    What are your other jobs?
    TSE is a part-time high-flier executive manager. AND a full-time over-priced fancy-footwear tester.
    TSE is a manager? Do we know in what sort of business?
    His business is extreme modesty & inexpensive, quiet shoes.

This is known.
    Oh I see. Sounds sort of interesting.
    I imagine TSE in Garfield Slippers.
    Not a clue what TSE looks like or really anything about them.
    sneak preview of TSE's slippers

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    Hey Sunil, was thinking of you just now as I’ve had a pleasant day train riding in Yorkshire. Originally planned to do a loop - Harrogate - York - Scarborough - Hull - Leeds - Harrogate but couldn’t make the connections work so I’ve just done the Scarborough line and back.
    Nice one. I did both York to Scarborough and Hull to Scarborough back in 2017.
    I used to get the train on that route quite often, lovely views.
    One view I’m getting a lot of is waterlogged ploughed fields with hardly any growth.

And I’ve been seeing that in Staffs, Glos, Cheshire and North Wales too.

If Sunak is serious about the autumn I wondered if he’s factored in drought in Europe and monsoon in the British Isles causing food inflation to skyrocket again?
    It's going to be a bad year for (arable) farmers.

Cows, sheep and pig don't seem to mind the rain so much. Pigs, because they'll survive any condition and eat anything. Cows, because they're hardy. Sheep; because they're too stoopid to die...
    I don’t reckon sheep and cattle will enjoy this mud too much. Foot rot and getting stuck are likely to be issues.

As for pigs, maybe they’ll like the mud, but how much will their fodder cost? (That incidentally goes for cattle and lowland sheep too.)
    Spuds an issue, too. One can't plant in a re-enactment of Third Wipers.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/16/rain-delays-and-rising-prices-the-dual-challenge-facing-potato-markets-in-ireland-and-europe/
    Brilliant. Only on PB could we have a link to Potato News Today.
    I have forwarded the link to HIGNFY for use in their next series.
    Excellent publication, albeit it is (allegedly) just a front for Big Potato, and it's (allegedly) dastardly CEO, Mr. Potatohead.

Anyway, Potato News Today is all over THIS story, bird-dogged yesterday for PBers by yours truly:

PNT - Senators rally to defend the potato’s vegetable status amid USDA and HHS reclassification debate

In a striking show of unity, a group of 14 U.S. Senators has penned a letter to the heads of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), expressing vehement opposition to the potential reclassification of potatoes as grains in the forthcoming 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs).

The letter, addressed to Secretaries Tom Vilsack and Xavier Becerra, outlines a robust defense of the potato’s status as a vegetable.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/30/senators-rally-to-defend-the-potatos-vegetable-status-amid-usda-and-hhs-reclassification-debate/

AND here is link to the letter itself (provided by PNT)

https://www.collins.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/collins-bennet_letter_-_reclassification_of_potatoes.pdf

SSI - Includes both senators from both Idaho ("Famous Potatoes") and Maine (another big spud producer).

Am personally curious to know why US Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) did NOT sign on, considering that a) her fellow WA US Sen. Maria Cantwell did, and WA Gov. Jay Inslee has also expressed support; and b) unlike Cantwell and Inslee, Patty is running for re-election in 2024.
    Hang on a second.

I assumed this was an April Fool. And not a bad one at all.

But then I looked at the date.

Has some dull-witted fucker actually seriously suggested that potatoes, which meet every known classification for a vegetable, are grains instead?
    Issue is US Dept of Agriculture food classification for nutritional purposes/value.

Argument is that, while vegetables are good for you, potatoes are less so.

Major impact of classification/reclassification being on school lunch programs and other child nutrition programs.

Which is NOT to say yours truly agrees with reclassifying the humble spud, but the concept is NOT something just dreamed up by "some dull-witted fucker".
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,833
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

TSE is a part-time high-flier executive manager. AND a full-time over-priced fancy-footwear tester.

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    Hey Sunil, was thinking of you just now as I’ve had a pleasant day train riding in Yorkshire. Originally planned to do a loop - Harrogate - York - Scarborough - Hull - Leeds - Harrogate but couldn’t make the connections work so I’ve just done the Scarborough line and back.
    One view I’m getting a lot of is waterlogged ploughed fields with hardly any growth.

If Sunak is serious about the autumn I wondered if he’s factored in drought in Europe and monsoon in the British Isles causing food inflation to skyrocket again?

Cows, sheep and pig don't seem to mind the rain so much. Pigs, because they'll survive any condition and eat anything. Cows, because they're hardy. Sheep; because they're too stoopid to die...
    I don’t reckon sheep and cattle will enjoy this mud too much. Foot rot and getting stuck are likely to be issues.

As for pigs, maybe they’ll like the mud, but how much will their fodder cost? (That incidentally goes for cattle and lowland sheep too.)

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/16/rain-delays-and-rising-prices-the-dual-challenge-facing-potato-markets-in-ireland-and-europe/
    Excellent publication, albeit it is (allegedly) just a front for Big Potato, and it's (allegedly) dastardly CEO, Mr. Potatohead.

Anyway, Potato News Today is all over THIS story, bird-dogged yesterday for PBers by yours truly:

PNT - Senators rally to defend the potato’s vegetable status amid USDA and HHS reclassification debate

In a striking show of unity, a group of 14 U.S. Senators has penned a letter to the heads of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), expressing vehement opposition to the potential reclassification of potatoes as grains in the forthcoming 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs).

The letter, addressed to Secretaries Tom Vilsack and Xavier Becerra, outlines a robust defense of the potato’s status as a vegetable.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/30/senators-rally-to-defend-the-potatos-vegetable-status-amid-usda-and-hhs-reclassification-debate/

https://www.collins.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/collins-bennet_letter_-_reclassification_of_potatoes.pdf

SSI - Includes both senators from both Idaho ("Famous Potatoes") and Maine (another big spud producer).

Am personally curious to know why US Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) did NOT sign on, considering that a) her fellow WA US Sen. Maria Cantwell did, and WA Gov. Jay Inslee has also expressed support; and b) unlike Cantwell and Inslee, Patty is running for re-election in 2024.
    Hang on a second.

Has some dull-witted fucker actually seriously suggested that potatoes, which meet every known classification for a vegetable, are grains instead?
    Does this mean poteen gets classed as a whiskey?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    edited April 3

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

Issue is US Dept of Agriculture food classification for nutritional purposes/value.

Major impact of classification/reclassification being on school lunch programs and other child nutrition programs.

Which is NOT to say yours truly agrees with reclassifying the humble spud, but the concept is NOT something just dreamed up by "some dull-witted fucker".
    You can say potatoes are not as good for you as broccoli* without randomly reclassifying them as something they're not.

*Although anyone telling me this will get a similar sort of email to the one I'm about to send British Gas' not over-bright solicitor.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

That would require a rye sense of humour.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,508
    edited April 3

FWIW, I don't think Australia will cut formal consititutional ties with the UK anytime soon.

The monarchy is effectively notional down there anyway and the geostrategic "vibe" is to strengthening ties with the UK atm, not weakening them.

I have wanted to cut constitutional ties with the Aussies since their cheating at Lord's last summer.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,003
    edited April 3
    https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1775584051673403522

Rishi vows to leave the ECHR if it allows him to stop the boats

Love to know what he wants to do afterwards, sink them in the middle of the channel because I really don't see a court having any impact on people trying to get to the UK - I mean they are already safe in France so it's not a safety issue...
  • Options

FWIW, I don't think Australia will cut formal consititutional ties with the UK anytime soon.

The monarchy is effectively notional down there anyway and the geostrategic "vibe" is to strengthening ties with the UK atm, not weakening them.

I want to cut constitutional ties with the Aussies since their cheating at Lord's last summer.
    "This is all you will be remembered for."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    Donkeys said:

FPT - I don't know quite what the Israeli government are playing at but I've been shocked by some of their behaviour too.

I can only conclude they simply don't care, and the only question is whether they're going in hard enough.

Is that a polite way of saying they're crazy?

They're provoking everyone. Syria, Iran, the United Nations, Qatar, and Britain are on the known list.

Only a foolhardy observer would name a country, international organisation, or foreign corporation that WON'T join the list. Egypt? The USA? Russia? China? Apple? The EU? The Holy See? It's practically impossible. The Israelis are taking a "We f*ck the world" approach. This reinforces and is reinforced by the notion that "Gentile society is necessarily anti-Semitic".

People should (and possibly soon will have to) pay special attention to the red heifer business. That'd be the mother of all provocations. If they're going to keep forcing their way up Provocation Alley, that's where it leads.
    I think fundamentally the view amongst some is that the Palestinians shouldn't even be there, but clearly the incidents last October triggered something very visceral: they can't really rely on anyone else but themselves and it's their business and theirs alone anyway.

I think they have a massive blindspot.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,228
    edited April 3
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

You can say potatoes are not as good for you as broccoli* without randomly reclassifying them as something they're not.

*Although anyone telling me this will get a similar sort of email to the one I'm about to send British Gas' not over-bright solicitor.
    Putting starchy tubers in a different category makes sense. But not calling them grains.

Are they veg? Is Meat & Two Veg beef potatoes carrots and broccoli, or just beef potatoes and broccoli?

Pretty sure beef & carrots & broccoli isn't Meat & Two Veg.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak vows to quit European Court if it will help stop small boats on #NeverMindTheBallots.

https://x.com/TheSun/status/1775584051673403522

Oh FFS, he's doing it. What a scumbag.
  • Options
    eek said:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1775584051673403522

Rishi vows to leave the ECHR if it allows him to stop the boats

Love to know what he wants to do afterwards, sink them in the middle of the channel because I really don't see a court having any impact on people trying to get to the UK - I mean they are already safe in France so it's not a safety issue...

Doesn't help with stopping the boats or with getting more deportation agreements. Would help with increasing the rate of refusal of asylum and some deportations (if the counterparties don't currently require ECHR membership and don't take fright at the change).
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,748
    edited April 3

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

Perhaps we should just stop reciting the myth that vegetables are good for you?
  • Options

Rishi Sunak vows to quit European Court if it will help stop small boats on #NeverMindTheBallots.

Blair also threatened it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    viewcode said:

How are they calculating Reform UK predictions when Reform UK didn't stand in Tory-held seats last time? Won't that screw the model somehow?

MRP is a multi-stage process. They take a poll and deduce the likelihood of people in each socioeconomic group to vote. They then work out how many people are in each group in each constituency. They apply the one to the other and predict the votes in each constituency for each party. They then work out who wins each constituency.
    And factor in the results from a (statistically small) sample of local voters on their panel in each patch.

As we discussed over Easter, the MRP is good at identifying areas where wider socio-economic voting trends might generate surprise results in particular localities, due to their demographics, but is poor at identifying local factors or potential tactical voting, unless this is adequately picked up by the small sample of local voters.

This is probably leading to Labour being over-stated and the LibDems under-stated in the relatively small number of LibDem target seats, as generally pro-Labour national demographic trends are being dropped onto localities where local voters have different preferences due to the local electoral history and campaigning.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

This’ll just turn people off the Tories more - he’s fishing from the small reform pool. What an idiot.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Blair was also a scumbag for doing it.
  • Options

This’ll just turn people off the Tories more - he’s fishing from the small reform pool. What an idiot.
    He's aiming at shoring up his core vote. Not you.

Expect more of it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,700
    viewcode said:

"Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears" (Tom Clancy, quoting WSChurchill, foreword to "The Sum of All Fears")

Some serious military bullshit, probably.
  • Options
    ‘Send in the navy!’ Watch furious cabbie Grant Davis clash with Rishi Sunak over small boats on #NeverMindTheBallots.

https://x.com/TheSun/status/1775591597746631103
  • Options

carnforth said:

Do you understand the ECHR and like it, or do you just like the idea of it because it sounds dead progressive?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,003

Expect more of it.
    The Tory party core vote is people who want tax cuts and their wealth protected - I doubt they care about small boats.

the people who care about boats are Reform voters - and no matter what he offers them it won't be enough...
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Do you understand the ECHR and like it, or do you just like the idea of it because it sounds dead progressive?
    I understand the ECHR and I like it, it is batty to consider leaving it.
  • Options
    NEW: Rishi Sunak tells #NeverMindTheBallots that even he does not know when the General Election will be - as he has not yet decided...

He did not rule out a June poll when I asked...

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1775554505335030012

LOL.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,872

Chris said:

Head of Regulatory Affairs.

Single parent.

Editor of PB.

Carer to my ill parents (nothing too serious but hey, I worry.)
    On that basis I have three.

I post on pb, but don't have to edit it.
    If you include PB article writer, I have four. One full time and three side-gigs.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Do you think Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Japan are inferior democracies for not being in the ECHR?

Do you think Putin's Russia (2019) was a superior democracy for being in the ECHR?
  • Options
    sarissa said:

FPT - Limpets survived the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs and 75% of all life on earth. Just saying...

That’s not very promising for the rest of us.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Do you think Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Japan are inferior democracies for not being in the ECHR?

Do you think Putin's Russia (2019) was a superior democracy for being in the ECHR?
    Well Japan has the death penalty so on that basis alone, yes it is an inferior democracy.

I didn't know Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Japan have moved continents. Was this a recent move?
  • Options
    "Britain’s New Fringe Parties Explained", TLDR News, Mar 30, 2024, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uweek5VVPSc

AI summary of transcript
    The UK political landscape is not just limited to the Labour and Conservative parties, with several smaller parties gaining significance. The Reclaim Party, led by Lawrence Fox, focuses on issues like free speech, depoliticizing institutions, and ending illegal immigration. The Workers Party of Great Britain, with George Galloway as its MP, challenges Labour with more conservative social policies and anti-Zionist foreign policy. The Alba Party, founded by Alex Salmond, aligns closely with the SNP on Scottish independence but differs on social policies like gender reform. These smaller parties aim to contest the upcoming elections and potentially shift power dynamics away from the major parties. It remains to be seen if they will be successful in their endeavors.
  • Options
    @BartholomewRoberts glad you are back - so do you continue to support Israel despite the innocent people they keep murdering?
  • Options
    eek said:

Expect more of it.
    The Tory party core vote is people who want tax cuts and their wealth protected - I doubt they care about small boats.

the people who care about boats are Reform voters - and no matter what he offers them it won't be enough...
    If Rishi had indeed stopped the boats then he'd certainly be polling much better.

It's pretty much the number one issue for his core.
  • Options
    edited April 3

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No. And no. But those are between-group comparisons. The choice before is is a within-group comparison, namely "is Britain after ECHR departure an inferior democracy to Britain before ECHR departure?" I believe it is. Reasons available upon request.
  • Options

eek said:

Expect more of it.

If Rishi had indeed stopped the boats then he'd certainly be polling much better.

I totally agree with you on this. But that wouldn't have been enough to wi the election.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Expect more of it.
    It’s a shame - as a voter in their “blue wall”, I was their core vote. The YouGov MRP sort of sums up how the new Tory party has pretty much lost the old traditional blue areas
  • Options
    Is a tomato a vegetable OR is it a fruit?

And what about tobacco? It's green and leafy like lettuce.

So with a bit of ingenuity (and hutzpah) your next "meat with two veg" can be a Big Mac with fries plus a Benson & Hedges.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044

Fantastic appointment.

Australia has named a corporate activist with republican leanings as its new — and potentially last — governor-general to represent the King in his role as Australia’s head of state.

Samantha Mostyn, a lawyer and businesswoman who rose to prominence campaigning for the economic empowerment of women, was named by Anthony Albanese, the prime minister, as Australia’s next governor-general on Wednesday. She will be the second woman to serve in the post.

Describing the former Labor government staffer as a “modern and optimistic leader for our modern and optimistic nation,” Albanese said that Mostyn, 59, would succeed David Hurley, the former defence forces chief, from July 1.

While Mostyn’s appointment was widely approved, some hardline conservatives questioned her suitability as the King’s representative in view of her republican sentiments.

In a speech in 2020 she said of Paul Keating, the former Labor prime minister, that he was “a prime minister of our country actually able to articulate his ambition for the country. And they were things that I really cared about. He wanted a republic, clearly.”

Mostyn also has a history of questioning Australia’s national day which commemorates the 1788 landing of the first fleet of British colonists and convicts at Sydney Cove.

In since deleted social media posts Mostyn has called Australia Day “invasion day” and argued for the date to be changed — leading to accusations that Albanese had appointed an “activist” as Charles’s representative.

Matthew Sheahan, executive director of the conservative lobbying group Advance Australia, said that Albanese had “rewarded a republican with a $500,000 a year salary to represent an institution she doesn’t believe in”. However, Peter Dutton, the conservative opposition leader, welcomed Mostyn’s appointment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/republican-to-be-kings-representative-in-australia-rbn3spdkw

Sounds like a typical Labor appointment from woke central.

Though of course having lost the Voice referendum, Albanese has put any prospect of a second monarchy referendum firmly on the back burner so she may well not be the last Governor General
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited April 3

Expect more of it.
    It’s a shame - as a voter in their “blue wall”, I was their core vote. The YouGov MRP sort of sums up how the new Tory party has pretty much lost the old traditional blue areas
    They have become the Nasty Party.

My Dad has been voting Tory every election since the 70s. He is not voting Tory next time.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,669
    Evening all

The good news is Rishi can’t take the UK out of the ECHR even if he wants to, rather than just saying it as a desperate attempt to shore up his vote.

Because he and his party will soon lose a general election, and will be out of power and irrelevant.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    edited April 3
    MattW said:

On this poll, two further maybe interesting aspects:

1 - Lib Dems relatively little recovery in the South-West from 2015 (I think).

2 - Clustering of Lib Dem seats in the South.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats

Yes, LDs gain seats like Maidenhead, South Cambridgeshire, Godalming and Ash, Henley, Esher and Walton, Lewes, Winchester, Didcot and Wantage, Chesham and Amersham (compared to last GE), Wokingham, Chippenham and Tunbridge Wells ie prosperous Remain seats on the MRP poll but make few inroads into their Brexit voting former heartlands in Devon and Cornwall. Indeed Labour forecast to win more Cornish seats than the LDs
  • Options
    TimS said:

Evening all

The good news is Rishi can’t take the UK out of the ECHR even if he wants to, rather than just saying it as a desperate attempt to shore up his vote.

Because he and his party will soon lose a general election, and will be out of power and irrelevant.

Oh God, not a Leondamus moment
  • Options

Expect more of it.
    Ironic thing is they could probably close the gap better in the blue wall with some really damaging and moronic policies, ie slashing tax on high earners and cutting spending on the poor and young. People vote with their pockets.

I’d rather they bang on fruitlessly about small boats than do further damage to the economy and fabric of society.
  • Options

TimS said:

Evening all

Soon there will be a general election…
  • Options

eek said:

Expect more of it.

I totally agree with you on this. But that wouldn't have been enough to wi the election.
    No, but a solid 30% would be sound to lose upon and it'd provide a good pivot to pitch for office again once floating voters turned away from Labour again.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Evening all

But, there are no final victories in politics.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

@BartholomewRoberts glad you are back - so do you continue to support Israel despite the innocent people they keep murdering?

There is no such thing as an innocent person
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,468

I asked a question the other day - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-expels-radical-tunisian-imam-interior-minister-2024-02-22/

How is that ECHR compatible? Or are French judges being a bit French?
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention (Blue Wall):

LAB: 34% (-3)
    CON: 26% (-2)
    LDM: 20% (+1)
    REF: 14% (+4)
    GRN: 6% (+1)

via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 31 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

https://x.com/OprosUK/status/1775598943574851836
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

I asked a question the other day - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-expels-radical-tunisian-imam-interior-minister-2024-02-22/

How is that ECHR compatible? Or are French judges being a bit French?
    The echr has ruled against many countries including us....mostly countries ignore their judgements as we did over prisoner voting rights. So we are all contributing to pay all these people in the ECHR to spout piffle that will just be ignored.....seems a waste of our money and their time frankly
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090

via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 31 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Reform taking votes off Labour.

That's why Starmer's worst nightmare would be a complete Tory collapse that would propel Reform into contention.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

Perhaps we should just stop reciting the myth that vegetables are good for you?
    It's all basically the same atoms, right? Salad, fruit, red meat in a butter sauce? I demand an explanation from nutritionists as to why one arrangement of atoms is better than another.

Until then - spicy butter chicken it is. Possibly with a side of lettuce just to hedge my bets. Maybe with some crispy mutton bites just for texture...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No. And no. But those are between-group comparisons. The choice before is is a within-group comparison, namely "is Britain after ECHR departure an inferior democracy to Britain before ECHR departure?" I believe it is. Reasons available upon request.
    A version of leaving where we copy & paste it into UK law, or a version where we simply disavow it. Big difference.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346

via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 31 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Broken, sleazy Labour and Tories on the slide!
  • Options

via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 31 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Reform taking votes off Labour.

That's why Starmer's worst nightmare would be a complete Tory collapse that would propel Reform into contention.
    His worst nightmare is having to spell out a policy that made the average person better off.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Evening all

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGH! YOU SAID IT!
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Evening all

Might not the UK October Surprise be The Woke Menace Emergency Act of 2024, postponing next GE indefinitely . . . with aid & comfort of rather suddenly "reformed" House of Lords . . .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

So corn-y.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Evening all

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGH! YOU SAID IT!
    We cannot be killed?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

I've never thought of potatoes as veg. More like pasta or rice.

Now I feel like I'm a weirdo.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

So corn-y.
    Speaking of vegetables . . . are you all pickled tonight?
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Well Japan has the death penalty so on that basis alone, yes it is an inferior democracy.

I didn't know Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Japan have moved continents. Was this a recent move?
    Human rights belong to humans, not continents.

Geography is irrelevant to humanity.
  • Options

Innocents die in war, the difference between Israel and Hamas is that Hamas targets innocents deliberately. Israel does not, though will inevitably sometimes make mistakes.

Israel also owns up to its mistakes, Hamas do not.

Part of the reason why Israel are in every way better than Hamas and why I support Israel continuing the fighting until Hamas is completely destroyed.

Collateral damage is tragic but not murder.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

I think they're technically a fruit. Or a kind of sedimentary rock. Or is it an arachnid?

EDIT: No, I remember now, there was that VAT case, and I'm sure judges confirmed they were a cake.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I am a history teacher and I endorse this message.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is a tomato a vegetable OR is it a fruit?

And what about tobacco? It's green and leafy like lettuce.

So with a bit of ingenuity (and hutzpah) your next "meat with two veg" can be a Big Mac with fries plus a Benson & Hedges.

Difference between knowledge and wisdom.

Knowledge: knowing tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom: not putting it in a fruit salad.
    In parts of Asia, sweet cherry tomatoes are sold alongside what we would consider fruit and, yes, put in fruit salads. Can’t get used to it myself.
  • Options
    Just had a brainwave . . . HOW we PBers can finally acquire the dream of years . . . a top-quality, gas-pumping PB ELECTION (BY & STRAIGHT) BOTTLE BUS & TRAVELING TEA-TIME THEATRE.

How? By raising unbelievable sums auctioning off TSE's old (pre-pandemic) shoes!

Footwear fanciers and fabricators from Michael Jordan to Dr. Scholls will flock like passenger pigeons for chance to bid on TSE's cast-off clogs, trainers, wingtips, sneakers, oxfords (!), mukluks, snow shoes, jump boots, clodhoppers, brothel creepers, etc., etc., etc. . . .
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Expect more of it.
    There must be a concern that those who've deserted the Tories to the right aren't even listening, and this just drives away a few more of those nearer the centre who've always voted Conservative on a tribal/cultural basis. I imagine there is still a decent percentage of those in the Blue column.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I am a PE teacher, and know that they belong to neither.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

PE? Just a load of balls.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Has Macron just played a blinder on Ukraine?

Rumours 1,500 French Foreign Legion troops to be sent to Ukraine, presumably as a tripwire force.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I wrote an entire article about how it isn't!

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
  • Options
    Smart51Smart51 Posts: 52
    ydoethur said:

Knowledge: tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom: not putting it in a fruit salad.

Tomato, cucumber, peppers, avocado, olives. You can make a decent salad using only fruits.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,560
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Potatoes being a vegetable, including when fried or roast is an essential mechanism to obeying the edicts of health conscious grown up children who for obscure reasons want you to carry on living. Also, chocolate is a fruit, as are hops (possibly a vegetable), coffee is a fruit or nut or something, wine is full of fruit, and red is even better for you than white, though white will do. 5 a day - simple.
  • Options

Rumours 1,500 French Foreign Legion troops to be sent to Ukraine, presumably as a tripwire force.

But does the tripwire have credibility? Would will he do if they get hit?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,260
    edited April 3

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

So why did ancient civilisations build next to rivers and the sea?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I should say I'm not actually a PE teacher. But I loathe children, so feel a tremendous sense of affinity with PE teachers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I should say I'm not actually a PE teacher. But I loathe children, so feel a tremendous sense of affinity with PE teachers.
    "Boys, say hello to your new PE teacher for the next four years, Mr. Nutt-Cracker."
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Water question.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Shame, you've got the right name for it.

'Sir! Passmore.'
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Britain’s New Fringe Parties Explained", TLDR News, Mar 30, 2024, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uweek5VVPSc

Does it include the Tories ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Water question.
    What a question indeed. Although Bart did tee it up with one of his daftest posts EVER!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Water question.
    To reduce the level of irrigation?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    algarkirk said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Potatoes being a vegetable, including when fried or roast is an essential mechanism to obeying the edicts of health conscious grown up children who for obscure reasons want you to carry on living. Also, chocolate is a fruit, as are hops (possibly a vegetable), coffee is a fruit or nut or something, wine is full of fruit, and red is even better for you than white, though white will do. 5 a day - simple.
    Sweets are full of sugar - derived from members of the vegetable kingdom. Biscuits and cakes are made of wheat - also vegetable kingdom.

It is very easy to get your 5 a day without going anywhere near anything green and crunchy.

Mmmm. Crunchies. Sugar, chocolate, palm oil. Definitely vegetable. :)
  • Options

Innocents die in war, the difference between Israel and Hamas is that Hamas targets innocents deliberately. Israel does not, though will inevitably sometimes make mistakes.

Part of the reason why Israel are in every way better than Hamas and why I support Israel continuing the fighting until Hamas is completely destroyed.

It knew who these people were and targeted them.

Israel has not even apologised.

You are off the deep end. Please come home.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

Lots of quislings - including on here - have made a great deal of the threat of Russia's nukes (*). France also has nuclear weapons, and the means to deploy them.

Most importantly: France has a much larger economy that Russia, even taking into account PPP (Sorry, Leon). We really should get over this stupid 'Russia Stronk' mindset that so many have, from @Topping to @NickPalmer to @Dura_Ace

Russia isn't stronk. Russia is a poor country being led by a fascist government with an imperialist mindset. One that is losing to a far smaller country fighting with one hand tied behind its back.

If Russia wants a war with France, does anyone actually think that Russia will win via military means?

(*) Which Putin won't use, for reasons gone into before.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Corrupt influence of combined ancient Irrigation Lobby, Sewage Monopoly and Ditch-Diggers Guild?
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Corrupt influence of combined ancient Irrigation Lobby, Sewage Monopoly and Ditch-Diggers Guild?
    But of course geography was key, otherwise the Thames Water of its day couldn't dispose of sh...ocking amounts of human excrement conveniently.
  • Options

Lots of quislings - including on here - have made a great deal of the threat of Russia's nukes (*). France also has nuclear weapons, and the means to deploy them.

Most importantly: France has a much larger economy that Russia, even taking into account PPP (Sorry, Leon). We really should get over this stupid 'Russia Stronk' mindset that so many have, from @Topping to @NickPalmer to @Dura_Ace

Russia isn't stronk. Russia is a poor country being led by a fascist government with an imperialist mindset. One that is losing to a far smaller country fighting with one hand tied behind its back.

If Russia wants a war with France, does anyone actually think that Russia will win via military means?

The question is what constitutes a war with France? If a number of French Foreign Legion troops are killed in a missile attack, would France escalate and how?
  • Options
    edited April 3

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Because ancient civilisations lacked trains, planes and automobiles. And the rest of modern civilisation.

We don't.

I can talk to someone in Australia easier than an ancient Briton living where I live could talk to someone in Manchester.
  • Options

The question is what constitutes a war with France? If a number of French Foreign Legion troops are killed in a missile attack, would France escalate and how?
    They didn't after Dien Bien Phu.

OK, not a missile attack, but same sort of principle.
  • Options
    For All Mankind jumped its shark in season 3.
    Pretty well nonsense.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948
    carnforth said:

I have a bet on Houchen to be PM by 2050 at 33/1. Doesn't look as good now as when I placed it.

How old are you?
  • Options

Perhaps Macron just thought, **** it, we might as well get it over with before @williamglenn 's Russophile traitor returns to the Whitehouse and pulls the plug on NATO.
  • Options
    isam said:

carnforth said:

I have a bet on Houchen to be PM by 2050 at 33/1. Doesn't look as good now as when I placed it.

How old are you?
    Hey, if they can make Liz Truss prime minister…
  • Options
    isam said:

carnforth said:

How old are you?
    Fairly young (for PB) if he’s planning in collecting in 2050.
  • Options
    edited April 3

It knew who these people were and targeted them.

Israel has not even apologised.

You are off the deep end. Please come home.
    The fact you need to lie to make your point, rather shows how weak your argument is, even on what should be a strong ground for you.

From BBC Verify:
    The IDF chief of general staff Herzi Halevi has issued a statement calling the attack "a mistake that followed a misidentification at night… it shouldn't have happened".

He said an investigation into the incident would be completed "in the next coming days".

When Israel kills an innocent its a mistake and they launch investigations into what went wrong, same as any other western nation. Hamas targets innocents.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

carnforth said:

How old are you?
    Fairly young (for PB) if he’s planning in collecting in 2050.
    I will be 68 in 2050, unless interrupted by death.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

But of course geography was key, otherwise the Thames Water of its day couldn't dispose of sh...ocking amounts of human excrement conveniently.
    Believe there is a Babylonian brick in the back of the British Museum, inscribed with (very) early prospectus for "Tigris Water" including claim that it's "the greatest investment opportunity since The Flood".
This discussion has been closed.