Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The sum of all Keirs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,209
    viewcode said:

This poll still indicates a substantial bloc of CON left to rebuild for 2029 and/or 2034

155 people. Three coaches full. If they were breeding pairs, you might have enough to found a new colony. :)

(Sarcasm aside, yes you are right: politics is so unstable these days wild swings left and right are not unusual)
    It's better than the 98 or whatever predicted in the other poll! 😈
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,344
    edited April 3
    eek said:

Good evening

I think the poll is quite likely and maybe even more generous to the conservatives than might turn out

However, there is an issue here that with the prospect of such a landslide would conservative leaning voters including those in Reform have second thoughts and vote conservative and will tactical voting even arise

The one thing that is going to happen is PM Starmer later this year and what follows will be very interesting, indeed he may get opposition from those Labour mps elected from the left of the party more than ineffective opposition benches

As for the conservative party who knows and who will be left, but they will have 5 years to sort themselves out and they will not win the next election, it would be Labour who lose it as is happening before our very eyes with this manifestation of the conservative party

The problem with the idea that Reform voters will return to the Tory party is that there is zero evidence that they will.

Your typical Reform voter who voted for Bozo in 2019 probably didn't vote in other elections or voted Labour and all the evidence backs that up.

So I would be banking on Reform voters probably

1) voting reform
    2) not actually voting

at the next election. I just don't see them as potential votes the Tory party can collect.
    You may well be right but then a landslide of the type suggested by this poll could have unexpected voting consequences

I am sure someone will know but has any party faced a general election with these numbers previously
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    rcs1000 said:

Alternative prognostication:

- Starmer wins a big landslide and pushes through lots of hate crime-style human rights legislation
    - JK Rowling becomes the face of opposition to the government and decides to run for office herself
    - Rowling wins in 2029 and sets about restoring the constitution to its pre-Blair form

Hereditary peers again sit in the House of Lords and we rejoin the EU?
    I didn't see that one coming. Back of the net!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,537

MattW said:

Chris said:

"WLabourhat I find really interesting about this MRP is that ..."

I find there is a need for some proofreading on this site.

Editing PB is one of my four full time jobs at the moment.

Plus editing on a phone is never fun.
    What are your other jobs?
    TSE is a part-time high-flier executive manager. AND a full-time over-priced fancy-footwear tester.
    TSE is a manager? Do we know in what sort of business?
    His business is extreme modesty & inexpensive, quiet shoes.

This is known.
    Oh I see. Sounds sort of interesting.
    I imagine TSE in Garfield Slippers.
    Not a clue what TSE looks like or really anything about them.
    sneak preview of TSE's slippers

Current footwear.

NSFW
    They are my everyday work shoes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Read down https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats and it's clear that the model is using previous results (specifically the Rallings and Thrasher 2019 notional results). But nothing there explains what they do about Reform UK having stood in only selected seats last time.

Ah, I see. MRP modelling generally does not use previous results, but YouGov's use of the "unwinding" algorithm in their MRP specifically means that it does. My apologies, young Skywalker.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,660

MattW said:

Chris said:

TSE is a part-time high-flier executive manager. AND a full-time over-priced fancy-footwear tester.

This is known.

Current footwear.

NSFW
    They are my everyday work shoes.
    They look comfortable, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Looks like Labour are heading for victory then across the UK as a whole and each individual nation, at the moment at least looking like a 1997 style landslide. Scotland too could go Labour for the first time since 2010
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    I have a bet on Houchen to be PM by 2050 at 33/1. Doesn't look as good now as when I placed it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks like Labour are heading for victory then across the UK as a whole and each individual nation, at the moment at least looking like a 1997 style landslide. Scotland too could go Labour for the first time since 2010

Three out of four nations.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

- Starmer wins a big landslide and pushes through lots of hate crime-style human rights legislation
    - JK Rowling becomes the face of opposition to the government and decides to run for office herself
    - Rowling wins in 2029 and sets about restoring the constitution to its pre-Blair form

Rowling is a Labour supporter.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    viewcode said:

Read down https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats and it's clear that the model is using previous results (specifically the Rallings and Thrasher 2019 notional results). But nothing there explains what they do about Reform UK having stood in only selected seats last time.

Ah, I see. MRP modelling generally does not use previous results, but YouGov's use of the "unwinding" algorithm in their MRP specifically means that it does. My apologies, young Skywalker.
    Yes, I've been coming to the same conclusion. It looks as though there is some kind of Bayesian calculation involved, which does depend in some way on previous results. But exactly how isn't clear. Maybe this isn't an MRP at all, in the generally accepted sense?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I have a bet on Houchen to be PM by 2050 at 33/1. Doesn't look as good now as when I placed it.

Cash out value of that bet is 0.01p.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

My God the Israeli Government are scum.

"We grieve with them."

You killed them!

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1775240996458045671

That's a lot of other governments you ought to be calling scum too.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

NSFW
    I'm still going to imagine you in Garfield Slippers.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,344
    edited April 3
    HYUFD said:

At least that would be good for the Scots, especially if it is carried through to Holyrood
  • Options

This poll still indicates a substantial bloc of CON left to rebuild for 2029 and/or 2034

Hmmm.

30 fewer due to tactical voting? Or would there be little overlap?

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    Is there any poll which shows Labour taking Conservative seats in Scotland?

Asking for a beleagured First Minister clutching at straws.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109
    ydoethur said:

She was historically a Labour supporter, but that doesn't preclude opposing Starmer.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    carnforth said:

I think T Dan Smith Jr is going to have an interesting next few years....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    viewcode said:

https://theweekinpolls.substack.com/p/mrp-what-it-is-and-why-it-may-or (cont...)

Incidentally I think Mark Pack (is it he?) is wrong when he says "...Those probabilities are then gathered together for all the voters in each constituency, giving each party an overall probability of winning each seat.The headline seat totals are then based on those seat probabilities. For example, if a party is predicted to have a 90 per cent chance of winning in ten seats, that adds nine seats (90 per cent of 10) to its headline total..."

I think it's more they translate probabilities into votes - 27,378 older males, with a p(Lab) of 60% and a p(Con) of 40%, that gives us 16,427 Lab votes and 10,951 Con votes - add them up, and predict the winner directly.

From the vague description, I think they are probably doing something more complicated than that, involving probability distributions for the percentage of votes lost per seat by each party. That would indeed bring in the previous results. Maybe the Rallings and Thrasher estimates really are the basis of the whole thing. But those have to be based on modelling themselves. Maybe it gives something close to the right answer, though.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    FPT - Limpets survived the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs and 75% of all life on earth. Just saying...
  • Options
    OT: My neighbour reports that he has caught a further Roland.

Not sure I needed to know that.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,069

No!

Penny Mordaurs (and Her Double Entendres) should cross the floor. She would retain Pompey South/North easily under the warm embrace of the red rosette. Most of the PCP think she is a leftie anyway.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,069

ydoethur said:

She was historically a Labour supporter, but that doesn't preclude opposing Starmer.
    Does “historically a Labour supporter” include being a current member of the Labour Party?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

NSFW
    No need to be catty.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,364
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

NSFW
    No need to be catty.
    Purr-fect riposte.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109

ydoethur said:

Does “historically a Labour supporter” include being a current member of the Labour Party?
    She's smarter than Owen Jones and waiting for the right moment for maximum impact.
  • Options

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
  • Options
    On this poll, two further maybe interesting aspects:

1 - Lib Dems relatively little recovery in the South-West from 2015 (I think).

2 - Clustering of Lib Dem seats in the South.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

NSFW
    I always thought TSE had these

• Options

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    Hey Sunil, was thinking of you just now as I’ve had a pleasant day train riding in Yorkshire. Originally planned to do a loop - Harrogate - York - Scarborough - Hull - Leeds - Harrogate but couldn’t make the connections work so I’ve just done the Scarborough line and back.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 793

ydoethur said:

Perhaps from inside Labour, but not from the Tories/Reform.

Being outspoken on gender critical feminist does not mean suddenly aligning with the right on other issues. It's an area there's two sides of the debate within the liberal left, in a way there isn't on other culture war issues.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166

ydoethur said:

April Fools Day was two days ago.
  • Options
    MattW said:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats

Also it shows LAB winning the two Bournemouth seats for the first time. This is highly plausible. It also shows CON holding the (now two) Isle of Wight seats. Projections of LAB gains in IOW seen elsewhere isn't happening.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

30 fewer due to tactical voting? Or would there be little overlap?

Looking at the detailed data, and at seats within 5% (to snatch a figure from the air), if (and it's a honking big "if") the voters in each constituency hit upon the right tactical choice and were sufficiently incentivised to close the gap by about 5%, the perfect storm case could see the Tories drop below 100.
    Con 92
    Lab 448
    LD 66
    SNP 20

I hasten to add that I can't see that perfect storm, though. In a third to a half of them, the tactical choice could well be murky or even have all three parties in stabbing distance of each other.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    Hey Sunil, was thinking of you just now as I’ve had a pleasant day train riding in Yorkshire. Originally planned to do a loop - Harrogate - York - Scarborough - Hull - Leeds - Harrogate but couldn’t make the connections work so I’ve just done the Scarborough line and back.
    Nice one. I did both York to Scarborough and Hull to Scarborough back in 2017.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

ydoethur said:

Being outspoken on gender critical feminist does not mean suddenly aligning with the right on other issues. It's an area there's two sides of the debate within the liberal left, in a way there isn't on other culture war issues.
    Interesting point here.

The Tories seem to think the trans issue will win them a load of new supporters, I really am not convinced.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    I used to get the train on that route quite often, lovely views.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

MattW said:

Also it shows LAB winning the two Bournemouth seats for the first time. This is highly plausible. It also shows CON holding the (now two) Isle of Wight seats. Projections of LAB gains in IOW seen elsewhere isn't happening.
    To be fair, they're close.

IoW East: Con 32, Lab 29, LD 9, Green15, Reform 15
    IoW West: Con 33, Lab 29, LD 6, Green18, Reform 14

Link to YouGov's spreadsheet here: https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/YouGov_March_2024_MRP_results.xlsx
  • Options
    Fantastic appointment.

Australia has named a corporate activist with republican leanings as its new — and potentially last — governor-general to represent the King in his role as Australia’s head of state.

Samantha Mostyn, a lawyer and businesswoman who rose to prominence campaigning for the economic empowerment of women, was named by Anthony Albanese, the prime minister, as Australia’s next governor-general on Wednesday. She will be the second woman to serve in the post.

Describing the former Labor government staffer as a “modern and optimistic leader for our modern and optimistic nation,” Albanese said that Mostyn, 59, would succeed David Hurley, the former defence forces chief, from July 1.

While Mostyn’s appointment was widely approved, some hardline conservatives questioned her suitability as the King’s representative in view of her republican sentiments.

In a speech in 2020 she said of Paul Keating, the former Labor prime minister, that he was “a prime minister of our country actually able to articulate his ambition for the country. And they were things that I really cared about. He wanted a republic, clearly.”

Mostyn also has a history of questioning Australia’s national day which commemorates the 1788 landing of the first fleet of British colonists and convicts at Sydney Cove.

In since deleted social media posts Mostyn has called Australia Day “invasion day” and argued for the date to be changed — leading to accusations that Albanese had appointed an “activist” as Charles’s representative.

Matthew Sheahan, executive director of the conservative lobbying group Advance Australia, said that Albanese had “rewarded a republican with a $500,000 a year salary to represent an institution she doesn’t believe in”. However, Peter Dutton, the conservative opposition leader, welcomed Mostyn’s appointment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/republican-to-be-kings-representative-in-australia-rbn3spdkw
  • Options
    @OldBasing Baso goes red under MRP
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    NBC News - Oklahoma official with white nationalist ties is ousted in recall vote

Judd Blevins, who marched alongside neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, lost his fight to remain on Enid’s City Council.

ENID, Okla. — Voters in Enid decided by a nearly 20-point margin Tuesday to remove a City Council member over his ties to white nationalist groups.

Judd Blevins lost his seat on Enid’s six-member City Council by 268 votes, according to unofficial results from the Oklahoma State Election Board. Nearly 1,400 people turned out, about a quarter of Ward 1’s registered voters and hundreds more than voted when Blevins was first elected last year.

Blevins will be replaced by Cheryl Patterson, a former teacher and longtime Republican who campaigned on a return to “normalcy” for this small city nearly 100 miles north of Oklahoma City, which was divided by the furor over Blevins.

“We won,” said Connie Vickers, a Democrat in conservative Enid, who was among the first to publicly confront Blevins over his white nationalist ties. “Blevins lost. Hate lost.”

Blevins faced the recall vote after local activists learned that he had marched alongside neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 and led an Oklahoma chapter of the white nationalist group Identity Evropa.

Blevins has denied that he has ever been a white supremacist, but at a candidate forum last week he defended marching in Charlottesville and said his activism was motivated by “the same issues that got Donald Trump elected in 2016.”

SSI - check out the photo of the deposed White Nationalist A-Hole waving sign while campaigning as GOPer . . . and heading Donald Trump's neo-Nazi dogwhistling.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-judd-blevins-enid-city-council-recall-election-rcna146029

Enid (Oklahoma) News & Eagle - Patterson defeats Blevins in Ward 1 commissioner race

. . . Patterson defeated Blevins with 59.64% of the vote, 829-561. Blevins was elected in February 2023, defeating incumbent Jerry Allen with 52.23% of the vote, 422-386. . . .

https://www.enidnews.com/news/patterson-defeats-blevins-in-ward-1-commissioner-race/article_ef847fea-f15d-11ee-939d-c3557744a247.html

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,803

Ratters said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting point here.

The Tories seem to think the trans issue will win them a load of new supporters, I really am not convinced.
    "A load" when you are on 20% is less than a load when you are neck and neck. Can an aggressive trans campaign get them 3 or 4% extra from here? Probably. Is it going to make it neck and neck, no.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    One view I’m getting a lot of is waterlogged ploughed fields with hardly any growth.

And I’ve been seeing that in Staffs, Glos, Cheshire and North Wales too.

If Sunak is serious about the autumn I wondered if he’s factored in drought in Europe and monsoon in the British Isles causing food inflation to skyrocket again?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,709
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!
    One view I’m getting a lot of is waterlogged ploughed fields with hardly any growth.

If Sunak is serious about the autumn I wondered if he’s factored in drought in Europe and monsoon in the British Isles causing food inflation to skyrocket again?
    Monsoon in Europe too at the moment. Alerte rouge for flooding in Saône et Loire and various other departments.
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Monsoon in Europe too at the moment. Alerte rouge for flooding in Saône et Loire and various other departments.
    Also I believe in many corn growing areas of the mid-West.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

Large bucket of salt required for this MRP as for the Survation the other day. It looks like a re-run of 1997 with the SNP having more seats.

The headline VI seems to be Labour 41%, Conservatives 24%, Liberal Democrats 12%, Greens 7%, Reform 12%, and others on 1%. which is a little different to their last poll but still within the usual range at 60-36.

The methodology and the algoriths used are well worth a read.

Going into the depths of the data, the Conservatives are left with five seats in London. In the south east, the Conservatives won 80 of the 90 seats in 2019 (obviously notional with boundary changes) but are left with just 42 with Labour winning 31, the LDs 16 and the Greens 1.

It's also worth noting there are 110 seats where the gap between Conservative and Labour is between zero and five points. The Conservatives win 64 of those but tactical voting could change that either way. The Conservatives hold 18 of the 32 seats where the gap to the LDs is zero to five points and the same applies.

The gap between 155 Conservative seats and 100 or fewer is that small.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

I doubt it. Rishibot's programming probably goes no further than:

"Will I lose horribly if I call an election today?" If so, wait until tomorrow and check again.
  • Options
    This seems a rather more realistic MRP picture than the recent Survation one. All the seats flagged up on the other poll have more likely results here. It would be at the better end of the current polling for the Cons.

Meanwhile I read that Mr Sunak is sticking to the famed 80/20 strategy. This suggests the aim is to win the election rather than just to minimise losses. That being the case he will surely go for November/December. The potential damage to his party of dragging this out is of little importance to him.
  • Options
    edited April 3

Fantastic appointment.

Australia has named a corporate activist with republican leanings as its new — and potentially last — governor-general to represent the King in his role as Australia’s head of state.

Samantha Mostyn, a lawyer and businesswoman who rose to prominence campaigning for the economic empowerment of women, was named by Anthony Albanese, the prime minister, as Australia’s next governor-general on Wednesday. She will be the second woman to serve in the post.

Describing the former Labor government staffer as a “modern and optimistic leader for our modern and optimistic nation,” Albanese said that Mostyn, 59, would succeed David Hurley, the former defence forces chief, from July 1.

While Mostyn’s appointment was widely approved, some hardline conservatives questioned her suitability as the King’s representative in view of her republican sentiments.

In a speech in 2020 she said of Paul Keating, the former Labor prime minister, that he was “a prime minister of our country actually able to articulate his ambition for the country. And they were things that I really cared about. He wanted a republic, clearly.”

Mostyn also has a history of questioning Australia’s national day which commemorates the 1788 landing of the first fleet of British colonists and convicts at Sydney Cove.

In since deleted social media posts Mostyn has called Australia Day “invasion day” and argued for the date to be changed — leading to accusations that Albanese had appointed an “activist” as Charles’s representative.

Matthew Sheahan, executive director of the conservative lobbying group Advance Australia, said that Albanese had “rewarded a republican with a $500,000 a year salary to represent an institution she doesn’t believe in”. However, Peter Dutton, the conservative opposition leader, welcomed Mostyn’s appointment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/republican-to-be-kings-representative-in-australia-rbn3spdkw

Interesting comments on her admiration for Paul Keating.

But nothing about him being on the advisory board of the China Development Bank, taking the Chinese Government's shilling, from 2005 until he stood down in 2018 - soon after when he might have had to register as an agent for the Chinese Government?

Questionable strategic sense and a bit too much virtue-signalling?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230

Fantastic appointment.

"Invasion Day"? Does he think he's aboriginal?
  • Options

MattW said:

To be fair, they're close.

IoW East: Con 32, Lab 29, LD 9, Green15, Reform 15
    IoW West: Con 33, Lab 29, LD 6, Green18, Reform 14

Link to YouGov's spreadsheet here: https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/YouGov_March_2024_MRP_results.xlsx
    Fair enough. LAB are much bigger in IOW than they used to be. I believe they got 3% in 1983???
  • Options
    Why does Matt Zarb-Cousin get airtime. He is literally hopeless.

He ran RLB "Corbyn is a 10/10" leadership campaign!
  • Options
    Ah - I note that the 17% Lab lead on the YouGov MRP is down to the method of allocating don't knows. Which makes this rather worse for the Govt than even it appears.
  • Options

Why does Matt Zarb-Cousin get airtime. He is literally hopeless.

He ran RLB "Corbyn is a 10/10" leadership campaign!

Lots of people who are literally hopeless get airtime. Owen Jones. Grant Shapps. Laura Kuensberg.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

It's going to be a bad year for (arable) farmers.

Cows, sheep and pig don't seem to mind the rain so much. Pigs, because they'll survive any condition and eat anything. Cows, because they're hardy. Sheep; because they're too stoopid to die...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Cows, sheep and pig don't seem to mind the rain so much. Pigs, because they'll survive any condition and eat anything. Cows, because they're hardy. Sheep; because they're too stoopid to die...
    I don’t reckon sheep and cattle will enjoy this mud too much. Foot rot and getting stuck are likely to be issues.

As for pigs, maybe they’ll like the mud, but how much will their fodder cost? (That incidentally goes for cattle and lowland sheep too.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875
    edited April 3
    sarissa said:

FPT - Limpets survived the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs and 75% of all life on earth. Just saying...

Eh? A pedant comments that a mating pair of dinosaurs (the woodpecking kind) are stuffing their beaks on Mrs C's peanuts and fat wotsit in the back garden at the moment.

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

FPT

eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Taz said:
    Absolutely right. The Israeli Government and IDF are complete and utter scum.
    Now, now Angela.
    I have hesitated to use that description previously but what harm is there in saying it now?

They've had so many "accidents". It is quite obvious they don't give a toss about anyone getting in their way of some of their ridiculous objectives.

The UK should stop selling them arms - and the US needs to withdraw funding and support and bring this chaos to an end.
    Precisely what the Times of Israel reports.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-chief-sorry-as-details-emerge-of-strike-that-picked-off-gaza-aid-cars-one-by-one/
    ...Meanwhile, on Tuesday evening, the Haaretz daily spoke to unnamed military sources who revealed that the cause of the strike was undisciplined, rogue commanders, not a lack of coordination between the IDF and the WCK.

A source in the intelligence branch told Haaretz that the IDF’s Southern Command “knows exactly what the cause of the attack was: in Gaza, everyone does as they please.”

Army regulations require final approvals from division commanders or those above them before strikes can be carried out on sensitive targets such as aid convoys.

But in Gaza, “every commander makes his own rules” and his own interpretation of the rules of engagement, the source told Haaretz, which said it wasn’t clear whether the strikes on the convoy ever received final approval.

The intelligence source noted the IDF decision to establish a new coordination hub between COGAT — which facilitates aid delivery for Israel — and Southern Command but insisted that this wouldn’t solve the problem, as similar centers already exist.

“It has no connection to coordination… You can set up another 20 administrations or war rooms, but if someone doesn’t decide to put an end to the conduct of some of the troops inside Gaza, we’ll see more incidents like this,” the source told Haaretz...
    They remind me more and more of Apartheid era South Africa.
    I wonder whether we will see a similar shift in sentiment in political parties. The change in what the Tories used to think about apartheid south africa to now is pretty stark.
    Thatcher was vehemently anti apartheid so there’s hope.
    I can't speak specifically for Thatcher, but most Tories in the 80's held the view that Mandela was rightly in jail.
    Is this the same Mrs Thatcher who claimed the ANC were a terrorist organisation? Colour me skeptical but I don't believe she was twinned with Donald Woods.
    You could ask Nelson Mandela.

And her feelings were clear . At the Lord Mayor’s banquet in 1985, she said: “I couldn’t stand being excluded or discriminated against because of the colour of my own skin. And if you can’t stand a colour bar against yourself, you can’t stand it against anyone else.” Asked by the leading Afrikaans newspaper Beeld, what was the difference between the ANC and the IRA, Thatcher’s answer was: “The IRA have the vote, the ANC do not.”

and

Afterwards, Mandela told me that the prime minister was a “woman he could do business with”. At his press conference that afternoon, choosing his words with heavy emphasis, Mandela declared that Thatcher “is an enemy of apartheid”. Their only differences were over the methods of inducing the South African government to dismantle the system.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/11403728/Margaret-Thatchers-secret-campaign-to-end-apartheid.html
    Perhaps we can contextualise Mrs Thatcher's largely positive role in promoting the very end of Apartheid.

It would seem her role was from a transactional rather than a moral perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-apartheid-mandela
    Sickening that the Guardian are using Thatcher's dementia to smear her.

Like I said on the previous thread you and the Guardian know more about Thatcher's role in ending apartheid than Nelson Mandela.
    The final statement is unfortunate and demeans an otherwise thoughtful thesis, which in a roundabout way is positive in it's analysis of Thatcher's role. It just questions her motives.

Mandela was a Statesman, whether his statement was based on simple pragmatism or an acknowledgement of Thatcher's intention to intervene is debatable. The Guardian article doesn't contradict Mandela's statement.

Anyway I still ain't gonna play Sun City.
    Mandela was a statesman eventually, doesn't mean he didnt start as a terrorist. Same with McGuiness. When men of violence put down the guns its a reason to celebrate but not a reason to forget their past and how they got there. Which is not to say we shouldn't forgive
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

I don’t reckon sheep and cattle will enjoy this mud too much. Foot rot and getting stuck are likely to be issues.

As for pigs, maybe they’ll like the mud, but how much will their fodder cost? (That incidentally goes for cattle and lowland sheep too.)
    Spuds an issue, too. One can't plant in a re-enactment of Third Wipers.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/16/rain-delays-and-rising-prices-the-dual-challenge-facing-potato-markets-in-ireland-and-europe/
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,517
    Off topic, but possibly of interest: This detail in a WSJ poll of swing states:
    "Despite siding with Trump on economic issues and showing little faith in the national economy, most respondents said their state’s economy was doing well. At least 60 percent of respondents in each swing state except Wisconsin said their state’s economy was in a good situation, while significantly fewer said the same of the national economy."
    source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4571721-trump-leading-biden-in-6-key-swing-states-survey/

If I have time, I'll try to look at that WSJ poll tomorrow at the local library, but feel free to beat me to it.

(FWIW, in this area (Seattle suburbs) there are many, many unfilled jobs. And I see TV ads, regularly, for jobs at places which never needed to advertise, before. For example: Yesterday, I saw a Community Transit ad for bus drivers, offering more than 30 dollars an hour, many benefits -- and a $5,000 sign-on bonus.)
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 223
    Off topic comment

Turning Point - The Bomb and the Cold War on Netflix, is one of the best documentaries I have seen in many many years. What a detailed account of grand scope.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Ratters said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting point here.

"A load" when you are on 20% is less than a load when you are neck and neck. Can an aggressive trans campaign get them 3 or 4% extra from here? Probably. Is it going to make it neck and neck, no.
    Priorities. The more time Cons spend on talking about trans, the less time they are talking about something else. Making it the focus of a General Election campaign is an odd set of priorities. Although I really wouldn't put it past them... :D
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/16/rain-delays-and-rising-prices-the-dual-challenge-facing-potato-markets-in-ireland-and-europe/
    It’s been raining here for best part of three days. Everything is starting to flood. I’m just amazed we succeeded in having a slightly chilly BBQ on Sunday.

Quite extraordinary weather. Has been since November really.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350

Off topic, but possibly of interest: This detail in a WSJ poll of swing states:
    "Despite siding with Trump on economic issues and showing little faith in the national economy, most respondents said their state’s economy was doing well. At least 60 percent of respondents in each swing state except Wisconsin said their state’s economy was in a good situation, while significantly fewer said the same of the national economy."
    source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4571721-trump-leading-biden-in-6-key-swing-states-survey/

If I have time, I'll try to look at that WSJ poll tomorrow at the local library, but feel free to beat me to it.

(FWIW, in this area (Seattle suburbs) there are many, many unfilled jobs. And I see TV ads, regularly, for jobs at places which never needed to advertise, before. For example: Yesterday, I saw a Community Transit ad for bus drivers, offering more than 30 dollars an hour, many benefits -- and a $5,000 sign-on bonus.)

The outcome of the polls ( if not the details) can be seen here: https://www.realclearpolling.com/latest-polls/election

Generally depressingly good for Trump.
  • Options
    Ironical Hypocrisy / Hypocritical Irony Alert

NBC News - Georgia Republican Party official voted illegally nine times, judge rules

Brian Pritchard, first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party, was fined $5,000 for voting illegally and registering to vote while serving a sentence for a felony, a judge ruled.

A judge ruled this week that a top Georgia Republican Party official, who has promoted former President Donald Trump's claims of widespread voter fraud affecting the outcome of the 2020 presidential election, has repeatedly voted illegally.

Brian Pritchard, first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party and a conservative talk show host, was fined $5,000 for voting illegally and registering to vote while serving a sentence for a felony conviction. Pritchard was also ordered not to commit further violations, to face public reprimand for his conduct and to pay the State Election Board's investigative costs. . . .

A questionnaire Pritchard filled out when he was running for first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party last year said that he sought to “leverage the influence of the grassroots conservative movement to improve election integrity.” . . .

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/georgia-republican-party-official-voted-illegally-nine-judge-rules-rcna145563
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Oddly, I was just going past a field of them and noticed the tops were all dead.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Brilliant. Only on PB could we have a link to Potato News Today.
    I have forwarded the link to HIGNFY for use in their next series.
    I hope they keep an eye on it.
  • Options

Ironical Hypocrisy / Hypocritical Irony Alert

NBC News - Georgia Republican Party official voted illegally nine times, judge rules

Brian Pritchard, first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party, was fined $5,000 for voting illegally and registering to vote while serving a sentence for a felony, a judge ruled.

A judge ruled this week that a top Georgia Republican Party official, who has promoted former President Donald Trump's claims of widespread voter fraud affecting the outcome of the 2020 presidential election, has repeatedly voted illegally.

Brian Pritchard, first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party and a conservative talk show host, was fined $5,000 for voting illegally and registering to vote while serving a sentence for a felony conviction. Pritchard was also ordered not to commit further violations, to face public reprimand for his conduct and to pay the State Election Board's investigative costs. . . .

A questionnaire Pritchard filled out when he was running for first vice chairman of the Georgia Republican Party last year said that he sought to “leverage the influence of the grassroots conservative movement to improve election integrity.” . . .

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/georgia-republican-party-official-voted-illegally-nine-judge-rules-rcna145563

I have always said the most plausible reason why so many Republicans are indulging The Orange Haired Loon with The Small One in his fantasies about the 'steal' is because they can't understand how they did so much vote rigging and still lost.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

And early, too.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

They've said they'll keep their eyes peeled.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Can I chip in with another potato pun?

Or should I get my jacket?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

They've said they'll keep their eyes peeled.
    So it's baked in for a roast?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Get your jacket. Any more like that and you'll get creamed.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Excellent publication, albeit it is (allegedly) just a front for Big Potato, and it's (allegedly) dastardly CEO, Mr. Potatohead.

Anyway, Potato News Today is all over THIS story, bird-dogged yesterday for PBers by yours truly:

PNT - Senators rally to defend the potato’s vegetable status amid USDA and HHS reclassification debate

In a striking show of unity, a group of 14 U.S. Senators has penned a letter to the heads of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), expressing vehement opposition to the potential reclassification of potatoes as grains in the forthcoming 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs).

The letter, addressed to Secretaries Tom Vilsack and Xavier Becerra, outlines a robust defense of the potato’s status as a vegetable.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/30/senators-rally-to-defend-the-potatos-vegetable-status-amid-usda-and-hhs-reclassification-debate/

AND here is link to the letter itself (provided by PNT)

https://www.collins.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/collins-bennet_letter_-_reclassification_of_potatoes.pdf

SSI - Includes both senators from both Idaho ("Famous Potatoes") and Maine (another big spud producer).

Am personally curious to know why US Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) did NOT sign on, considering that a) her fellow WA US Sen. Maria Cantwell did, and WA Gov. Jay Inslee has also expressed support; and b) unlike Cantwell and Inslee, Patty is running for re-election in 2024.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457

Chris said:

Head of Regulatory Affairs.

Single parent.

Editor of PB.

Carer to my ill parents (nothing too serious but hey, I worry.)
    On that basis I have three.

I post on pb, but don't have to edit it.
  • Options
    edited April 3
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Oddly, I was just going past a field of them and noticed the tops were all dead.
    Frost, maybe? No idea what it's been like down there, but we have had intermittent radiation frost in the sometimes clear and (in the day) sunny weather in the last 2-3 weeks. Enough to freeze over the local pond and make me worry for the frogs and toads and their spawn, at least at the top of the water column.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Get your jacket. Any more like that and you'll get creamed.
    Oh ffs, these useless puns are a complete mash-up.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

At the current rate, the people saying the Tories will be back in 2029/2034 seem to not understand who will be leading the party.

Priti Patel? Suella? Can any of these people honestly win?

Corbyn almost won.
    I was a Corbyn cultist and no he didn't.
    "I was too close to this to have any perspective, but here's my perspective."
    How did Corbyn nearly win? He was literally dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of seats behind.
    But for Ruth Davidson the Tories would have likely lost power in 2017 and since nature abhors a vacuum Corbyn would have become PM in 2017 and that would have been classed as a win.
    I threw up that night. It was about the time I think Alistair Meeks posted that he thought Jeremy Corbyn should now be favourite for next PM.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Excellent publication, albeit it is (allegedly) just a front for Big Potato, and it's (allegedly) dastardly CEO, Mr. Potatohead.

Anyway, Potato News Today is all over THIS story, bird-dogged yesterday for PBers by yours truly:

PNT - Senators rally to defend the potato’s vegetable status amid USDA and HHS reclassification debate

In a striking show of unity, a group of 14 U.S. Senators has penned a letter to the heads of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), expressing vehement opposition to the potential reclassification of potatoes as grains in the forthcoming 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs).

The letter, addressed to Secretaries Tom Vilsack and Xavier Becerra, outlines a robust defense of the potato’s status as a vegetable.

https://www.potatonewstoday.com/2024/03/30/senators-rally-to-defend-the-potatos-vegetable-status-amid-usda-and-hhs-reclassification-debate/

https://www.collins.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/collins-bennet_letter_-_reclassification_of_potatoes.pdf

SSI - Includes both senators from both Idaho ("Famous Potatoes") and Maine (another big spud producer).

Am personally curious to know why US Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) did NOT sign on, considering that a) her fellow WA US Sen. Maria Cantwell did, and WA Gov. Jay Inslee has also expressed support; and b) unlike Cantwell and Inslee, Patty is running for re-election in 2024.
    They get to the root of the problem there.
  • Options
    FPT - I don't know quite what the Israeli government are playing at but I've been shocked by some of their behaviour too.

I can only conclude they simply don't care, and the only question is whether they're going in hard enough.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

Eh? A pedant comments that a mating pair of dinosaurs (the woodpecking kind) are stuffing their beaks on Mrs C's peanuts and fat wotsit in the back garden at the moment.

Saying that your wife has a fat wotsit is not an advisable course of action.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

At the current rate, the people saying the Tories will be back in 2029/2034 seem to not understand who will be leading the party.

Corbyn almost won.
    How did Corbyn nearly win? He was literally dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of seats behind.
    But for Ruth Davidson the Tories would have likely lost power in 2017 and since nature abhors a vacuum Corbyn would have become PM in 2017 and that would have been classed as a win.
    I threw up that night. It was about the time I think Alistair Meeks posted that he thought Jeremy Corbyn should now be favourite for next PM.
    Jesus, that's a bit drastic?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 579

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Only if you don't mind the Youtubers being all over it.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Only if you don't mind the Youtubers being all over it.
    I was wondering how to get tuber in! Excellent!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

Saying that your wife has a fat wotsit is not an advisable course of action.
    Could have been worse. Could have said she has a great tit on her fat wotsit.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Corbyn almost won.
    I made a few people shit their kecks at Matthew Parker Street with this headline that night.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/06/09/if-youre-not-mentally-prepared-for-corbyn-as-prime-minister-then-you-should-be/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Better forwarding to the Daily Mash?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

They get to the root of the problem there.
    Half-baked.
  • Options
    Quite an interesting interview with John Bolton about Mr Trump and working with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO3mD_joZl8
  • Options
    Correction - US Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) is NOT up for re-election this year; she was re-elected in 2022.

BUT her seatmate US Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) is on the ballot this year; her signing onto the Keep Spuds on the Veg List! letter will help her (but only a bit) in eastern WA.
  • Options
    edited April 3

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

I assumed this was an April Fool. And not a bad one at all.

But then I looked at the date.

Has some dull-witted fucker actually seriously suggested that potatoes, which meet every known classification for a vegetable, are grains instead?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Ah - I note that the 17% Lab lead on the YouGov MRP is down to the method of allocating don't knows. Which makes this rather worse for the Govt than even it appears.

The 28 seats where the Reform vote share is projected to be 20% or higher currently split Con 16 Lab 12. Under the YouGov MRP that changes to Lab 22 Con 6. They are in just five geographic areas - 12 are in Yorkshire & The Humber (Lab 9 Con 3 becomes Lab 12 Con 0) and 7 in the East Midlands (Con 7 Lab 0 becomes Con 3 Lab 4).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

Has some dull-witted fucker actually seriously suggested that potatoes, which meet every known classification for a vegetable, are grains instead?
    Not a vegetable. Don't count towards 5 a day.
  • Options
    edited April 3

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:

This is known.

Current footwear.

More money than sense!

Hang on a second.

Not a vegetable. Don't count towards 5 a day.
    Mr Rentool, somebody who can't count to five in an entire day sounds like a vegetable.

Or a British Gas Customer Service Agent. One of the two.
  • Options
    FWIW, I don't think Australia will cut formal consititutional ties with the UK anytime soon.

The monarchy is effectively notional down there anyway and the geostrategic "vibe" is to strengthening ties with the UK atm, not weakening them.
  • Options

FWIW, I don't think Australia will cut formal consititutional ties with the UK anytime soon.

The monarchy is effectively notional down there anyway and the geostrategic "vibe" is to strengthening ties with the UK atm, not weakening them.

I'd just be surprised if they wanted another referendum on the constitution given the last few have been a complete debacle.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 579

FPT - I don't know quite what the Israeli government are playing at but I've been shocked by some of their behaviour too.

I can only conclude they simply don't care, and the only question is whether they're going in hard enough.

Is that a polite way of saying they're crazy?

They're provoking everyone. Syria, Iran, the United Nations, Qatar, and Britain are on the known list.

Only a foolhardy observer would name a country, international organisation, or foreign corporation that WON'T join the list. Egypt? The USA? Russia? China? Apple? The EU? The Holy See? It's practically impossible. The Israelis are taking a "We f*ck the world" approach. This reinforces and is reinforced by the notion that "Gentile society is necessarily anti-Semitic".

People should (and possibly soon will have to) pay special attention to the red heifer business. That'd be the mother of all provocations. If they're going to keep forcing their way up Provocation Alley, that's where it leads.
This discussion has been closed.