Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Reform outpoll the Tories with YouGov? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Mortimer said:

PJH said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If anything the local elections will reduce Reform momentum. They are likely to perform poorly in the London Mayor and Assembly elections and won't have enough candidates in the council elections to get anywhere near the Tories. They might do a bit better in the PCC elections but still not enough to win

I don't think most voters will notice. The press the morning after will not have headlines saying "Reform UK perform poorly". They'll all say "Conservative disaster".

RefUK are starting from a low base, so they'll probably make some gains somewhere, which means they'll have something to trumpet. They'll do badly in the London Mayoral election but could pick up an Assembly seat or two.

Given current polls have the Tories on about 20-25%, even if they got the 26% NEV they got in last year's local elections, CCHQ would spin that as 'done better than the polls' and if Reform fail to gain any councils or PCC posts or Assembly seats then their momentum stalls
    CCHQ spin isn't even effective on once loyal backbenchers now.

I am a life-long Tory voter from a family of life-long Tory voters. None of us going to be voting for this Blairite shower....
    Genuine question - why do you think the current government is Blairite?

There is no attempt to take people out of poverty. No investment in public services, not even by enabling the private sector to take a greater role. No social reform. Poor relations with Europe rather than co-operation. On all these Blair was quite timid and leaning slightly right anyway. The only thing I see in common is a tendency to authoritarian centralising, hardly something that right wing parties rail against in my experience.

I do agree they are a shower.
    1) Raising taxes by stealth
    2) Increasing the size of the state
    3) Westminster centralization
    4) Petty law changes that do nothing
    How are they increasing the size of the state?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited April 2
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

Final March manufacturing PMIs:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

That Germany number is truly terrible. Olaf Scholz has really not worked. I think he is up again next year. Really not fancying his chances.
    Utterly horrendous for Germany. It was even worse last summer.

Germany was once the vibrant beating heart of European manufacturing. What went wrong. Cannot just be covid.
    Brexit Britain not buying their cars?
    A3, Golf and the Ein Series all regularly sell in huge volumes in the UK.

Porsche had an awesome year in the UK in 2023, mostly off the back of the foul Macan. It's horrible but it prints money and makes the rest of the range possible.
    Yep. Same reason all the sports car manufacturers are making bloody SUVs now; they’re ridiculously profitable, especially with platform sharing. But hey, if Macan sales lead to more GT3RSs and 911 Turbo Ses, and even pushing innovation like the Taycan Turbo S did, then few complaints.

In totally unrelated news, my wife has shown interest in a Macan for her next car.
    I've just taken a look and it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would spend such sums on a car.
    Oh she won’t be getting a new one, that’s for sure!

The whole Western car industry, especially the premium brands, has been held up for 15 years by ultra-low interest rates, with most buyers only interested in the monthly lease repayment rather than the list price of the car. If you could have a Vauxhall Vectra, or a BMW 3 Series for only 10% more per month, call it £30 extra, which would you have chosen?

At the top end, no-one really cared if an E63 AMG cost £100k list, because most people were paying £1,000 a month for it. Those leases are running out now, and £1k a month in 2024 covers the repayment on a £50k E320 instead. So most people are keeping their old car and refinancing it, which has killed the new car market completely.

As I’ve said before on here, my daily driver is a 2005 E-class V8, bought for £3k and will run until it doesn’t, at which point I’ll do the same again.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    Dura_Ace said:

Tesla sales must be starting to suffer from their inexorable association with ketamine fuelled alt-right fuckery.

Whilst this is surprisingly true, it is also true that other factors pertain
    • Economic fears,
    • a lack of affordable new models
    • stronger competition
    • slower growth
    I would also add excessive focus on Cybertruck which, despite the fact that it is an undeniable technological marvel, is an evolutionary dead-end and time spent focussing on it should have been spent on the S3XY range instead

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-is-turning-off-would-be-tesla-buyers-1851378245
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

Odd to represent a law about threatening or abusive behaviour with the intention of stirring up hatred as criminalising people "stating simple facts on biology".

Of course, Oscar Wilde told us "The truth is rarely pure and never simple". Perhaps it's comforting that Rishi Sunak can be relied on to be always simple.
    It is the mixture of deliberately misunderstanding the law (as Sunak has just done) and dim policemen and a general public who don't trust either the mob or the state - with very good reason - which does the damage with this bad (though less bad than is being described) Scottish act. As so often Cyclefree is correct and balanced in her analysis.

Legally I would feel completely free in Scotland to act normally with regard to Freedom of Speech, ie all opinions are permitted, however robustly expressed, but threats are not. Culturally I would not.
    It raises an interesting question:

Assume somebody is in the habit of spouting prejudice-fuelled shit of the sort that would be better for everyone not said. A new law then comes in which doesn't criminalize the stuff they typically come out with BUT this person has the impression that it might. So they stop saying it.

Good thing? Bad thing? Depends?
    This is one of those situations where it is better that someone chooses not to say something then that they feel forced into not saying something. The psychological effect of feeling prevented from having your say is extremely corrosive, and it would raise the risk of such a person deciding they have to act in a more violent way as an alternative.

Social disapproval is a better way to challenge verbal expressions of prejudice than the law, or perceptions of the law.
    Social pressure can be powerful and I agree it's the best way (although it's not an either/or with the law). As for feeling free to say whatever you want, that is important (very) but so is the obligation to not say things which are designed to do harm to others for no reason other than prejudice against their identity. The consensus on PB is to rank the first far weightier than the second. I'm not totally signed up to that.
    In general I'm on board with the idea that, "if you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything." There are times when you might think something, but discretion is better for everyone.

But this shouldn't be a matter for the law and the Courts to interfere with.

There seems to be a frame of mind which says that everything someone (obvs. a someone who is an exemplar of moral virtue and right think) does not like, or disapproves of, should be criminalised. We really shouldn't be using the criminal law for everything, just as we shouldn't seek to use only the state as a way to organise everything.
    Your middle para - you'd like to see the back of all 'hate speech' laws then?
    I'm not a free speech absolutist. Where you can show that speech is inciting violence then I think it is reasonable for the law to intervene. Similarly for speech that amounts to harassment.

In these cases the speech is linked to a harm that is distinct from the speech itself. Clearly there's going to be a big grey zone as to where you draw the line. Some would argue that the Scottish hate speech law only covers speech that would be covered by my two examples of inciting violence and harassment - but I think the difference in degree is sufficient to be a difference in type.
    How do you define harassment?

Does it only count if abuse is specifically directed at someone, or does it count if they can read it incidentally?

ie the difference between "@LostPassword is" and "LostPassword is"
    It would have to be specifically directed towards them, and involve an element of pursuit. For example, I might have a run-in with someone on pb.com, but I can easily step away from that by not visiting the site for a few days. If that person pursues me to continue the argument on other websites, or by shouting abuse at me outside my home or place of work, then that would be steps that could mark it out as harassment.
    Don't worry I won't do that. Not even if you come out for Trump. But yes, good example, and you do need practical examples in this 'freedom of speech vs protection against hate and harassment' argument. Without examples it can easily go nowhere because virtually nobody is actually a free speech absolutist even if their rhetoric implies it. Usually it's about weighting the competing priorities and drawing the line separating reprehensible from criminal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,136
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

That Germany number is truly terrible. Olaf Scholz has really not worked. I think he is up again next year. Really not fancying his chances.

Germany was once the vibrant beating heart of European manufacturing. What went wrong. Cannot just be covid.

Porsche had an awesome year in the UK in 2023, mostly off the back of the foul Macan. It's horrible but it prints money and makes the rest of the range possible.
    Yep. Same reason all the sports car manufacturers are making bloody SUVs now; they’re ridiculously profitable, especially with platform sharing. But hey, if Macan sales lead to more GT3RSs and 911 Turbo Ses, and even pushing innovation like the Taycan Turbo S did, then few complaints.

In totally unrelated news, my wife has shown interest in a Macan for her next car.
    I've just taken a look and it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would spend such sums on a car.

The whole Western car industry, especially the premium brands, has been held up for 15 years by ultra-low interest rates, with most buyers only interested in the monthly lease repayment rather than the list price of the car. If you could have a Vauxhall Vectra, or a BMW 3 Series for only 10% more per month, cal it £30 extra, which would you have chosen?

At the top end, no-one really cared if an E63 AMG cost £100k list, because most people were paying £1,000 a month for it. Those leases are running out now, and £1k a month in 2024 covers the repayment on a £50k E320 instead. So most people are keeping their old car and refinancing it, which has killed the new car market completely.

As I’ve said before on here, my daily driver is a 2005 E-class V8, bought for £3k and will run until it doesn’t, at which point I’ll do the same again.
    Petrol is cheap and cars don't rust out there - different market presumably ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

The whole Western car industry, especially the premium brands, has been held up for 15 years by ultra-low interest rates, with most buyers only interested in the monthly lease repayment rather than the list price of the car. If you could have a Vauxhall Vectra, or a BMW 3 Series for only 10% more per month, cal it £30 extra, which would you have chosen?

I like things simple and begrudge paying too much for cars and would never go for a monthly arrangement.

My TRoc , which I love, cost £24k brand new four years ago, paid cash, and I'll continue to look after it and keep it for six more years. Say I get £4k for it then. So £20k divided by 10 years = an OK annual cost. I'm a simple soul, I know.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

I own a Macan, and I absolutely love it.
    You and malc, I believe ?

Another Venn diagram.
    FFS. Isn't Malc still driving his Linwood made Hillman Imp?
    My first car was an Imp. A D plate.

Loved it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

PJH said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If anything the local elections will reduce Reform momentum. They are likely to perform poorly in the London Mayor and Assembly elections and won't have enough candidates in the council elections to get anywhere near the Tories. They might do a bit better in the PCC elections but still not enough to win

I don't think most voters will notice. The press the morning after will not have headlines saying "Reform UK perform poorly". They'll all say "Conservative disaster".

RefUK are starting from a low base, so they'll probably make some gains somewhere, which means they'll have something to trumpet. They'll do badly in the London Mayoral election but could pick up an Assembly seat or two.

Given current polls have the Tories on about 20-25%, even if they got the 26% NEV they got in last year's local elections, CCHQ would spin that as 'done better than the polls' and if Reform fail to gain any councils or PCC posts or Assembly seats then their momentum stalls

I am a life-long Tory voter from a family of life-long Tory voters. None of us going to be voting for this Blairite shower....

There is no attempt to take people out of poverty. No investment in public services, not even by enabling the private sector to take a greater role. No social reform. Poor relations with Europe rather than co-operation. On all these Blair was quite timid and leaning slightly right anyway. The only thing I see in common is a tendency to authoritarian centralising, hardly something that right wing parties rail against in my experience.

How are they increasing the size of the state?
    The constantly growing government expenditure. Not on things like defence mind, but that would be too Conservative for this generation of the blues, who prefer culture war gubbins instead of governing.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Dura_Ace said:

Tesla sales must be starting to suffer from their inexorable association with ketamine fuelled alt-right fuckery.

Not especially. From what I have read about the Q1 results:
    Parts issue in the US after the Houthi fun
    US can't build enough Cybertrucks & Model 3s to keep up with demand - but can make more Ys than people want
    Berlin factory hit by an arson attack

The real news in Q1 was that Full Self Driving is out of Beta and being rolled out across North America. This is a game-changer, far more than the quarterly sales figure.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,540
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

I like things simple and begrudge paying too much for cars and would never go for a monthly arrangement.

My TRoc , which I love, cost £24k brand new four years ago, paid cash, and I'll continue to look after it and keep it for six more years. Say I get £4k for it then. So £20k divided by 10 years = an OK annual cost. I'm a simple soul, I know.
    Bit weird though to state what is or isn't too much money to spend on a car, or indeed anything.

Earnings = seven figures => leaf through "Lux" magazine and buy whatever takes your fancy.
    Earnings = national average => be amazed that anyone can afford £24,000 for a car.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Tesla.

Oops !!

First Y-O-Y delivery decline since COVID 2020.

Oops? Have you seen Full Service Driving (Supervised)?
    I thought that may be a plug for your channel !

Just had a look at YouTube.

https://youtube.com/shorts/E06Y8nGwbGs?si=Rw8j27yWtdWU7DhO
    I wish. FSD is currently illegal in Europe. The UNECE are meeting in late June where they hopefully will relax the rules.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    The problem with the Lords isn't the hereditaries, it's the assorted lumpen social democratic lobby fodder appointed by successive Governments cluttering up the joint.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Petrol is cheap and cars don't rust out there - different market presumably ?
    There’s a few differences compared to the UK.

Fewer hybrids out here except for taxis, as the cost of the car doesn’t get recouped in fuel savings unless you’re running the car to half a million miles.

Electrics starting to become popular, but only really with locals who get cheap electricity and live in owned houses. No “company cars”, and the associated tax issues that drive behaviour.

Also fewer of the complex financial products seen in Europe, and higher depreciation as a result as the dealer network can’t control the used market as much. Very little rust, that’s very true.

A lot more imported used cars as well - mine was originally Japanese, which is a good source of European brands commonly sold as LHD over there, turning up with a lot of years but low mileages.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Bit weird though to state what is or isn't too much money to spend on a car, or indeed anything.

Earnings = seven figures => leaf through "Lux" magazine and buy whatever takes your fancy.
    Earnings = national average => be amazed that anyone can afford £24,000 for a car.
    Not sure I agree really. If I won the premium bonds and the lottery jackpot combined I still wouldn't spend any more on a car. Just a means from A to B to me and an unpleasant faff to keep changing. I'm a car miser I guess.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Not sure I agree really. If I won the premium bonds and the lottery jackpot combined I still wouldn't spend any more on a car. Just a means from A to B to me and an unpleasant faff to keep changing. I'm a car miser I guess.
    Still weird. You no doubt have possessions that someone else might think the height of extravagance.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

There used to be a rule of thumb (invented by me) that you shouldn't spend more than 10% of the value of your house on a car. But with London property prices that doesn't work too well these days. More like 3% maybe?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405
    Palestine Action taking direct action against a alleged provider of arms to the Israeli regime.

Smashing roof tiles and windows.

Meanwhile the Police in Yorkshire price to be as ineffective as those in London, where an officer took no action against a marcher with a swastika on a pro Hamas March.

https://x.com/pal_action/status/1775070451057709440?s=61
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473

The problem with the Lords isn't the hereditaries, it's the assorted lumpen social democratic lobby fodder appointed by successive Governments cluttering up the joint.

The whole thing is a craven abdication of moral duty, and your girl after ten minutes as PM installed a hatful of no mark donor's to the HoL and Johnson before her rammed it full of starlets and the starstruck (for Johnson).
  • Options
    Well I thought Warren was the only billionaire Buffet but no - so was "Margaritaville" Jimmy. I mean, good song but wow! Incredible how the royalties can rack up, I suppose.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Vulgar to spend a fortune on a car even if you can afford it.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

What's your upper limit spend on a house before vulgarity kicks in.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,959
    edited April 2
    Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

I'd be the same.

I might be persuaded by the Full Lambo, but there is not much point to the middle ground above dull and cheap.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    kinabalu said:

Well I thought Warren was the only billionaire Buffet but no - so was "Margaritaville" Jimmy. I mean, good song but wow! Incredible how the royalties can rack up, I suppose.

He also owned the Margaritaville high end burger chain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Still weird. You no doubt have possessions that someone else might think the height of extravagance.
    That got me scratching my head, as I'm not a conspicuous consumption kind of guy and couldn't think of anything. I asked Mrs Stocky and she eagerly took the opportunity for another dig at my lavish and growing skiing clothing/equipment collection.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826
    edited April 2
    kinabalu said:

"#Who want's to be a Trillionaire#'

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

That's measured in square feet, not money.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Absolutely
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,289
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

The non-vulgar thing to do is buy 25 years ago and then feign embarrassment about how much the price has gone up.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

This, from today’s Telegraph personal finance column, reads like an April Fool. Congratulations to their ‘experts’ on keeping a straight face.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/investing/13k-of-credit-card-debt-buy-range-rover/

Background - she’s 52 and currently earning £60k a year from her own company.

She pays around £600 a month to service £13,000 of credit card debt, most of which goes on interest. She has no pension or other savings.

“I’d like to be able to pay off my debts, but it always seems to be neverending.”

She has around £70,000 of equity in a family home. While the money would “easily” clear her debts, it is tied up until the divorce is settled.

Ms Howarth wonders about the best thing to do with the money once she has access to it.

“I want to pay off the debt and put a chunk of money aside for each of my children. I’m conscious they will want to go off to uni or go travelling soon-ish.

“I’d also put a chunk of money into savings for myself – but would be very strict about spending it. I’d also buy a new car.

My Vauxhall Meriva is lovely but falling apart. I’d like a Range Rover instead.”
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

This, from today’s Telegraph personal finance column, reads like an April Fool. Congratulations to their ‘experts’ on keeping a straight face.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/investing/13k-of-credit-card-debt-buy-range-rover/

She pays around £600 a month to service £13,000 of credit card debt, most of which goes on interest. She has no pension or other savings.

“I’d like to be able to pay off my debts, but it always seems to be neverending.”

She has around £70,000 of equity in a family home. While the money would “easily” clear her debts, it is tied up until the divorce is settled.

Ms Howarth wonders about the best thing to do with the money once she has access to it.

“I want to pay off the debt and put a chunk of money aside for each of my children. I’m conscious they will want to go off to uni or go travelling soon-ish.

“I’d also put a chunk of money into savings for myself – but would be very strict about spending it. I’d also buy a new car.

My Vauxhall Meriva is lovely but falling apart. I’d like a Range Rover instead.”
    "The first thing she should tackle is the credit card debt. The interest rate she is paying is very high. She is paying £7,200 a year to cover a £13,000 debt. She should see if she can switch her credit card to a new one and potentially pay 0pc interest for an initial period."

Just checked mine. 29.9% - not that I pay any. She's paying 50%?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,725
    Nigelb said:

Mr Communication Skillz

After repeatedly denying that the fall in small boat crossings last year had anything to do with the weather, Rishi Sunak's spokesperson now blames rising small boat crossing numbers on... the weather.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1775119772365045955

Note that in late 1942 - early 1943, the Luffwaffe blamed "the weather" for their failure to supply the German 6th Army in Stalingrad.

Back then, the Wehrmacht was in roughly same strategic situation, that CUP HMG is dealing with (just as badly) in 2024.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,725
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Hmm, good question. Depends where it is obviously. Vulgarity in Bolton would be humble in Belgravia.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Hmm, good question. Depends where it is obviously. Vulgarity in Bolton would be humble in Belgravia.
    You have just made my point for me.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 507
    Mortimer said:

PJH said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you for replying. I largely agree with your list, but if you're implying by it that this is a left-wing government then I disagree. My view is that Blair was slightly right of centre, and leaning authoritarian.

A few quibbles: on raising taxes, stealth is the Tory way. Labour was more open about it.

The second is only true if you mean the tax take, but that is a consequence of poor economic management rather than a policy position. There hasn't been a big increase in what the state does (and it has been cut back at the margins, if anything) and certainly no redistribution of wealth from rich to poor or increase in provision of public services, which is what this implies

3 and 4 are definitely true and certainly Blairite but belong to the right as much as to the left. But I doubt Blair would have picked the same petty law changes if he was in office today.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

'Labour plans to axe hereditary peers in UK House of Lords
    Main opposition party seeks to end ‘anachronistic system’ but would allow those ousted to retain access to parliament'

Looks like Starmer will go beyond even Blair's removal of most hereditaries and scrap them from the Lords completely. So vote Tory to keep our remaining hereditary peers in the Lords and the experience they bring of being rooted in the land!
    https://www.ft.com/content/d7f3be9d-5f15-46b5-970a-9f42011dc1d8

Enough to make me vote Labour.
    That's very good politics and a no-brainer. Smash the unacceptable end of the Tories, plus reduce and balance up the HoL at the same time. I don't think even the current generation of Conservatives could oppose without relying on desperate whataboutery.

Wrt my comments earlier on Nick Palmer's Labour List piece, it's a step away from "Tories are the natural party of Government".

The other one they need to address is criminals and crooks who are in the HoL.

I have a part-written potential header on potential Lib-Lab cooperation, and that is on my list of "things Labour may do short of full PR".

Other item are roll-back the gerrymander to restore PR for Regional Mayors, and expand said Mayors everywhere as a LG Reform which does not require everything to be thrown in the air, but gives more emphasis to the longer term / freedom from central govt string-pulling every fortnight.

I could potentially see some reforms to Life Peers towards election, but that is a bit of a bombshell and it might be better to file hereditary peers in a museum first. One important thing for Lords Elections imo is that it swings differently from, and is a check on, the Commons, so we have some insulation from getting 2 sets of similar partisans at once.
    I agree that the remaining heridiraries should go first before we move to further reform.

If we are to have Lords elections, they should be in phases (only a proportion of the house at each election) and for a long period - say 15 years - so you get three tranches elected, usually in the middle of each parliament. Phase it in that way too. The first third replace the third of peers with the lowest attendance record and so on (there being nothing stopping them standing of course, bar nomination).

Oh, and candidates should have endorsements from MPs or officers of at least two political parties, or be a registered independent (Most senior political figures and experts should be able to achieve the former, anyway.) And there should be no whipping.
    And the bishops. They're equivalent to hereditaries in the sense of permanent positions, never mind who the current owner is, or rather the rather small pool of current holders.
    The Bishops, seeing a Labour government on the horizon, have rather cleverly aligned themselves with Starmer in opposing the Rwanda bill of the government. So Starmer has rather less interest in removing them it seems than the largely Tory still remaining hereditary peers
    Why on earth Bishops along with many others are in the HOL

Abolish the lot and have a small elected chamber with revising powers

And it seems that are now to allow the Rwanda bill to pass
    A fully elected second chamber would of course use its mandate to block, not merely just revise legislation, US style
    Good! A fully elected chamber would have its own democratic mandate within the constitutional framework it exists in.

Where is the democratic mandate for the House of Lords? I have some sympathy for elder statespeople and experts who take Ermine. But people there for being a Bishop? Donating money to the Tory Party? No - we need rid.

I remain entertained by Teesside Mayor Ben Houchen who tried to claim he was an independent candidate next month, was entirely disconnected from "that nonsense in Westminster" and that he was in no way whipped or instructed by any party.

And yet the Lord Houchen of Teesport went to do nonsense in Westminster 3 times in March, voting with the Tory whip against Rwanda bill amendments.

Houchen has no mandate to do that. Zero. Especially when the lying bastard then tries to claim he isn't part of the Westminster nonsense or taking the Tory whip.
    An elected upper house would change the entire nature of power in parliament, a fully elected Senate would almost certainly try and use its new mandate to vote down legislation from the Commons, not merely revise it
    Why on earth would we allow that to be their remit? If they are elected to revise and advise, then they should revise and advise.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Taz said:

The Met - Swastikas need to be taken in context

A Metropolitan Police officer has sparked fury after telling a Jewish woman that swastikas “need to be taken in context” at a pro-Palestine rally. What other context could there be for a swastika at a pro Hamas march ?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/outrage-after-met-police-officer-says-swastikas-need-to-be-taken-in-context-at-pro-palestine-march/ar-BB1kTGhy?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=8e8071965079413683638f624ded12a4&ei=32

I’m sure the free speech brigade will jump on the cop’s right to speak, right?
    He wasn’t stating an opinion. He was making a professional judgement as to whether to intervene
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,217
    Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

Macan is brilliant
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

I own a Macan, and I absolutely love it.
    You and malc, I believe ?

Another Venn diagram.
    FFS. Isn't Malc still driving his Linwood made Hillman Imp?
    My first car was an Imp. A D plate.

Loved it.
    My first car was a Cortina, cost me £70. I now have a macan to piss Dura off
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

UK 50.3
    France 46.2
    Eurozone 46.1
    Germany 41.9

Brexit is working.

"The first thing she should tackle is the credit card debt. The interest rate she is paying is very high. She is paying £7,200 a year to cover a £13,000 debt. She should see if she can switch her credit card to a new one and potentially pay 0pc interest for an initial period."

Just checked mine. 29.9% - not that I pay any. She's paying 50%?
    Mental , they are desperate to give you 0% interest for up to 28 months.
This discussion has been closed.