Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some good news for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,879
    Cookie said:

I am watching Dempsey & Makepeace. We didn't have a TV set in the 80s and my parents would not have let me watch it if we had. I've never been especially fussed to watch it, thinking it was just a fairly naff UK police procedural with a US lead actor to try and give it some star power. But actually it has a charm. Seeing London in its pre-gentrified form, great chemistry between the title characters (who ended up marrying irl apparently), and Peter Brandon has great charisma. Glennis Barber is great to look at and does well too. Both are highly unlikely London police detectives but still. It's also surprisingly grimly violent (for the things I watch) - I'd always had the show pegged as a Magnum PI 'light-hearted' cop show but it's not really like that.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago watching Minder for the first time. Fascinating to watch a London where normal people could live. But also brilliant: well plotted, well written, well acted. Well worth an hour of your time.

Cookie and Luckyguy reviewing your evening's viewing, 40 years too late.
    Not everyone who lives here currently is completely abnormal....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,609
    Cookie said:

I am watching Dempsey & Makepeace. We didn't have a TV set in the 80s and my parents would not have let me watch it if we had. I've never been especially fussed to watch it, thinking it was just a fairly naff UK police procedural with a US lead actor to try and give it some star power. But actually it has a charm. Seeing London in its pre-gentrified form, great chemistry between the title characters (who ended up marrying irl apparently), and Peter Brandon has great charisma. Glennis Barber is great to look at and does well too. Both are highly unlikely London police detectives but still. It's also surprisingly grimly violent (for the things I watch) - I'd always had the show pegged as a Magnum PI 'light-hearted' cop show but it's not really like that.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago watching Minder for the first time. Fascinating to watch a London where normal people could live. But also brilliant: well plotted, well written, well acted. Well worth an hour of your time.

My review contained the word 'great' three times in quick succession, so I'm going to have to work on those writing skills is this 80s telly review is to become a regular gig. :lol:

I've never been fussed to watch Minder, but yes, I'm sure it's a gem too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,961

Nigelb said:

I ought to add that I do not pretend nationalisation banishes all problems — hell, I remember British Rail. But it does give us a degree of control, which, to our enormous detriment, we have lost. At least with a state-owned water industry we can’t blame anyone else...

And if they rip off the bill payers, at least the proceeds stay in the country.
    The problem is not so much private vs public as

1) Nothing must be done.
    2) in order to protect a variety of interests, reform or improvement is impossible.

See the argument that pension funds (foreign and domestic) might catch a cold if Thames Water isn’t allowed to put everything on the bill payers. Likewise Freehold/Leasehold reform.

Earlier, someone was suggesting that the dislocation of business in West London was a reason not to move Heathrow. In the dozens of big airport moves around the globe, similar business has to adapt to the fact that about 10 years from “go”, they would have to move.

Similar arguments were made to not move or modernise British shipbuilding. That worked out really well, didn’t it?
    I hope you prove wrong, but I suspect you're right.
    We'll agree to put up bills to bail out a Canadian pension fund and some Chinese investors...

For the first time in my life, I want a Labour government to nationalise something.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155

Cookie said:

My review contained the word 'great' three times in quick succession, so I'm going to have to work on those writing skills is this 80s telly review is to become a regular gig. :lol:

Verity Lambert. No more review required.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,687

Cookie said:

The original Equaliser is something you would like, probably.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

NOT a soft landing for one of Trump's softer-headed MAGA-maniacs . . .

Seattle Times - MyPillow, owned by election denier Mike Lindell, formally evicted from Minnesota warehouse
    A court ordered the eviction Wednesday of MyPillow from a suburban Minneapolis warehouse that it formerly used, but company founder and prominent election denier Mike Lindell said that it’s just a formality because the landlord wants to take the property back.

Lindell denied in an interview with The Associated Press that the eviction was another sign of his money woes. He said his financial picture is actually improving after a credit crunch last year disrupted cash flow at MyPillow after the company lost one of its major advertising platforms and was dropped by several national retailers.

“We’re fine,” he said.

Lindell faced a setback last month when a federal judge affirmed a $5 million arbitration award in favor of a software engineer who challenged data that Lindell said proves China interfered in the 2020 U.S. presidential election and tipped the outcome to Joe Biden. Lindell acknowledged in January that Fox News stopped running MyPillow commercials amid a billing dispute. . . .

SSI - Best thing about this clown crying into HIS pillow, is that yours truly is NOT being bombarded with his previously non-stop TV advertisements.

For a product I had ZERO intention of every purchasing; would rather lay my weary head on jagged rock!

He's destroyed his life for Trump, who does not even deign to back him in his efforts directly. Why such loyalty?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039

Michael Brandon.

We did have a tv in our student bedsit 🙂
    Us too. Though what I really remember was the Falklands.
  • Options

Michael Brandon.

I'm afraid that back in the day I did think it was a bit naff.
    Had some potential, but poor scripts, and slightly dodgy acting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I ought to add that I do not pretend nationalisation banishes all problems — hell, I remember British Rail. But it does give us a degree of control, which, to our enormous detriment, we have lost. At least with a state-owned water industry we can’t blame anyone else...

1) Nothing must be done.
    2) in order to protect a variety of interests, reform or improvement is impossible.

See the argument that pension funds (foreign and domestic) might catch a cold if Thames Water isn’t allowed to put everything on the bill payers. Likewise Freehold/Leasehold reform.

Earlier, someone was suggesting that the dislocation of business in West London was a reason not to move Heathrow. In the dozens of big airport moves around the globe, similar business has to adapt to the fact that about 10 years from “go”, they would have to move.

Similar arguments were made to not move or modernise British shipbuilding. That worked out really well, didn’t it?
    We'll agree to put up bills to bail out a Canadian pension fund and some Chinese investors...

For the first time in my life, I want a Labour government to nationalise something.
    The same pressures will occur if it is nationalised - “must protect the pension funds and the foreigners from the results of their own folly.”
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,147

I used to love that TV series.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

I wonder how many Tory voters who like me are fed up with the Party and like me had vowed not to vote Blue, now will again to avoid the utter bloodbath that the polls are suggesting.
    I will vote Toty if the polls are that bad. IT IS a funny old world.

Not me. Tory for 50 years; Labour this time. Bloodbath is what they, sadly, need. Though I think the actual outcome won't be like that. Labour will do well to get 345 seats, and may well need LD support to govern - say 315 seats.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,684
    Nigelb said:

I didn't realise they were whining about eggs, too. Apparently that rule has been in place since 1976.

Trump's possible VP pick.
    https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1774250831275016525
    Joe Biden banned “religious themed” eggs at the White House’s Easter Egg design contest for kids, AND he announced that tomorrow is “National Transgender Visibility Day.”

Did he forget that tomorrow is Easter, Resurrection Sunday?

Joe Biden and his White House have made it clear that people of faith, particularly Christians and our Bible-believing views, have no place in his America. We must change that on November 5 by electing

Personally think Kristi Noem will NOT be Trump's Pence-replacement. Because:

> allegations of affair between her and Trump Mini-Me Cory Lewandowski, as alleged in print by Daily Mail & NY Post, have been denied but NOT refuted.

> already plenty of MAGA-maniac nutbaggery with just Trump, he needs someone who can reach beyond his base.

> plenty of other GOPer women available (NOT including Nikki Haley!) with more appeal and less baggage.

> as South Dakota goes, so goes North Dakota (at least in recent years).
  • Options

Michael Brandon.

I've got it all wrong. Yes him, whoever he is - very good.

I wonder if they hired him hoping to have a hit in the US. Looking at Wiki is never took off there apparently. It was a hit in the UK and elsewhere anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,147
    kle4 said:

NOT a soft landing for one of Trump's softer-headed MAGA-maniacs . . .

Seattle Times - MyPillow, owned by election denier Mike Lindell, formally evicted from Minnesota warehouse
    A court ordered the eviction Wednesday of MyPillow from a suburban Minneapolis warehouse that it formerly used, but company founder and prominent election denier Mike Lindell said that it’s just a formality because the landlord wants to take the property back.

Lindell denied in an interview with The Associated Press that the eviction was another sign of his money woes. He said his financial picture is actually improving after a credit crunch last year disrupted cash flow at MyPillow after the company lost one of its major advertising platforms and was dropped by several national retailers.

“We’re fine,” he said.

Lindell faced a setback last month when a federal judge affirmed a $5 million arbitration award in favor of a software engineer who challenged data that Lindell said proves China interfered in the 2020 U.S. presidential election and tipped the outcome to Joe Biden. Lindell acknowledged in January that Fox News stopped running MyPillow commercials amid a billing dispute. . . .

SSI - Best thing about this clown crying into HIS pillow, is that yours truly is NOT being bombarded with his previously non-stop TV advertisements.

For a product I had ZERO intention of every purchasing; would rather lay my weary head on jagged rock!

He's destroyed his life for Trump, who does not even deign to back him in his efforts directly. Why such loyalty?
    Loyalty to Trump has paid off for... for... for... his children?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    Chris said:

MattW said:

Classic Daily Mail shitstirring:

Outrage as Biden proclaims Easter Sunday as 'Trans Day of Visibility' - as White House BANS children from submitting religious-themed Easter egg designs at annual event for military families
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13255111/easter-2024-white-house-bans-religious-eggs.html

TD of V has been on March 31st since it started in 2009.
    Similarly, the rules for the painted heggs have not been changed.

It's funny that tolerance for trans is taken as such an affront to Christianity.

Understandable in relation to practising homosexuals, as the Bible prescribes capital punishment for that. But as far as I know there's nothing in the Law or the Prophets about stoning trans people.
    @Chris

Incorrect. Check out Deuteronomy 22.5

5The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Thanks for the tip. I note that Edward Woodward is in it - love a name that's a tongue-twister.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Nothing must be done.

The same pressures will occur if it is nationalised - “must protect the pension funds and the foreigners from the results of their own folly.”
    Why ?
    Thames is likely to be insolvent within 18 months. The government can take it over without obligation to make either shareholders or bond holders whole.

They wouldn't even have to legislate to do so.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

Outrage as Biden proclaims Easter Sunday as 'Trans Day of Visibility' - as White House BANS children from submitting religious-themed Easter egg designs at annual event for military families
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13255111/easter-2024-white-house-bans-religious-eggs.html

It's funny that tolerance for trans is taken as such an affront to Christianity.

Understandable in relation to practising homosexuals, as the Bible prescribes capital punishment for that. But as far as I know there's nothing in the Law or the Prophets about stoning trans people.
    @Chris

5The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
    Er, that's transvestism. Not transsexualism. Surely?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,761

Cookie said:

I used to love the swinging light bulb. Mesmerising.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I didn't realise they were whining about eggs, too. Apparently that rule has been in place since 1976.

Joe Biden banned “religious themed” eggs at the White House’s Easter Egg design contest for kids, AND he announced that tomorrow is “National Transgender Visibility Day.”

Joe Biden and his White House have made it clear that people of faith, particularly Christians and our Bible-believing views, have no place in his America. We must change that on November 5 by electing

> allegations of affair between her and Trump Mini-Me Cory Lewandowski, as alleged in print by Daily Mail & NY Post, have been denied but NOT refuted.

> already plenty of MAGA-maniac nutbaggery with just Trump, he needs someone who can reach beyond his base.

> plenty of other GOPer women available (NOT including Nikki Haley!) with more appeal and less baggage.

Who do you think he's likely to pick?

Assuming he isn't locked up for twelve months for contempt of court and thereby his campaign jars to a sudden halt.
  • Options
    In my view, we wait for Thames to go bust and then bring it back into public ownership.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

God was angry red faced chap, until he had that affair with a married woman, the kid… the relationship with the son was awkward and ended very badly, but The Big Man definitely mellowed from the experience.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

Yes, you shouldn't mix linen or cotton with wool, either.
    Also an abomination.

The OT fashion police were seriously OTT.

Lots of daft shit in the first few chapters.
    (No SeanT jokes, please.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

Since gender reassignment surgery was not physically possible at the time, it seems reasonable to assume it covered both.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,256
    edited March 31
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Nothing must be done.

Why ?
    Thames is likely to be insolvent within 18 months. The government can take it over without obligation to make either shareholders or bond holders whole.

But they should, presumably, wait until the last possible moment, when all other avenues have been exhausted so as not to deter future investment.
  • Options

In my view, we wait for Thames to go bust and then bring it back into public ownership.

I am inclined to say, looking at the performance of publicly owned water companies, that this would be the greater of two evils.

But then, my preferred option is a not-for-profit mutual organisation and they don't have a stellar track record either.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

The view of parts of the transgender community is that if you say you identify as the other sex, you actually are the other sex. No, me neither.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    mwadams said:

Cookie said:

More specifically, Euston Films, which just churned them out.

The Sweeney
    Minder
    Quatermass 79
    The Fear
    Capital City
    Widows

There's a lot of good stuff in there
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 660
    edited March 31
    It is still unclear whether the red heifers are ready.

I was tending to the view that they weren't yet ready, and that therefore the fear (currently big in the Arab world) that the ritual will be carried out in the second half of this year's Ramadan was unfounded.

But this article from September 2022 gives to believe that they've been ready for a while now:

https://allisrael.com/red-heifer-sacrifice-could-take-place-in-about-a-year-in-jerusalem

Supposedly two of the five have been found to be impure, which presumably means they each sprouted more than one hair that wasn't red, rather than that a farmhand rested his jacket on them by mistake, which would have the same signification as yoking.

I wonder whether James Burke has looked at this. It's just the sort of thing he'd be interested in.

This small group of people with their obsession could blow the Middle East sky high and it's not completely clear what can be done to stop them. Perhaps it won't be this year that they'll go for it, but they do seem to have been making small steps of progress for quite some time.

Incidentally, visions of cities or buildings that are at the location of current ones but which are different - perhaps different in mundane ways, perhaps being far more intricate and architecturally "wow" - are a recorded feature of a certain state of consciousness.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Nothing must be done.

Why ?

If the bond holders and the shareholders get hit, that *is* the pension funds, foreign and domestic.

Which the Treasury is arguing must be protected. Same for Freehold/Leasehold.

They aren’t going to change their tune. Nationalisation or bankruptcy or whatever.

The same advice will go to Starmer and Co. Protect the investors and screw the customers.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    Carnyx said:

Michael Brandon.

Private Schulz was my favourite of the time.
    Fearful of rewatching it in case I think it’s duff..
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Michael Brandon.

Private Schulz was my favourite of the time.
    Fearful of rewatching it in case I think it’s duff..
    Don't worry - it is still great.
  • Options

Cookie said:

That's Callan?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Does this risk understating the fact that Trump made a tactical choice in Pence in 2016 (evangelicals etc) who ultimately let him down by performing his constitutional duty?

The worry with Trump this time is he will abandon the conservative figures who are genuine true believers in that cause (worrying enough people but "normal"), in favour of slavishly loyal, utterly amoral grifters.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

Yes, you shouldn't mix linen or cotton with wool, either.
    Also an abomination.

The OT fashion police were seriously OTT.

Lots of daft shit in the first few chapters.
    (No SeanT jokes, please.)
    The snag with picking up the culture mores of a Bronze Age civilization is that they are the cultural mores of a Bronze Age civilization.

Careful of those mildews.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cookie said:

That's Callan?
    Confusing your Woodwards.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Assuming he isn't locked up for twelve months for contempt of court and thereby his campaign jars to a sudden halt.
    No idea. Save that NY Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (R-Two Faced) seems a better bet all around for DJT 24.

As for being locked up for contempt - or just about anything else - that would NOT disqualify Trump from either running for POTUS, or from serving IF elected.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cookie said:

That's Callan?
    Equaliser
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljvdTh1jq-Y

Callan
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdSWjpPJDg

Both with Edward Woodward. Fanon says the character is the same person
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

Harsh bloke, Deuteronomy.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Does this risk understating the fact that Trump made a tactical choice in Pence in 2016 (evangelicals etc) who ultimately let him down by performing his constitutional duty?

The worry with Trump this time is he will abandon the conservative figures who are genuine true believers in that cause (worrying enough people but "normal"), in favour of slavishly loyal, utterly amoral grifters.
    Note that for 2024, Trump will have his pick of "slavishly loyal, utterly amoral grifters".

Kristi Noem NOT alone, and she AIN'T all that special . . . except in her own head . . . and the hopes of her punters.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145

Cookie said:

Lots of Minder available for free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg6AFZJl5Xk&list=PLiZCl6XIGf-hVlWA6QzBgrDSAk_zG4Zd2&index=6
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 660
    edited March 31

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

No idea. Save that NY Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (R-Two Faced) seems a better bet all around for DJT 24.

As for being locked up for contempt - or just about anything else - that would NOT disqualify Trump from either running for POTUS, or from serving IF elected.
    If he's convicted before November and handed a custodial sentence stretching until after January, what are the possibilities?

Are there any states he couldn't run in?
    Could a federal court require his release before the election?
    If he wins when in custody, could either he himself or a federal court require his release after he takes office?

Personally I think he's so batshit that there will be some surprises before the election. E.g. perhaps he will run abroad, to El Salvador or wherever, and claim he hasn't done any such thing, because black is white if he says it is. Or he could call for a far-right armed uprising before the day of sentencing. He wouldn't be able to cope with real prison IMO.
  • Options
    Latest example of YouTube outrageous idiocy . . .

Labeling the movie "The Great Train Robbery" staring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland as a "Western".
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Nothing must be done.

Why ?

If the bond holders and the shareholders get hit, that *is* the pension funds, foreign and domestic.

Which the Treasury is arguing must be protected. Same for Freehold/Leasehold.

They aren’t going to change their tune. Nationalisation or bankruptcy or whatever.

The same advice will go to Starmer and Co. Protect the investors and screw the customers.
    Pension funds are a bit of a nuisance. My understanding is that one of the reasons that we don't introduce severe penalties for commercial buildings falling into disrepair and blighting High Streets is that pension funds are balls deep in commercial property investments.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,860

Cookie said:

True story....while most people have fairies living at the bottom of their garden my mother had the equalizer (and michelle dotrice) living there
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,813
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

It's a good job Deuteronomy doesn't have the numbers to condemn these acts otherwise there would be an exodus. We all have the wisdom to be the judges of what's right without any lamentations..
  • Options
    Apocalypse Now just started on BBC2. Stop doing whatever you are doing and watch...
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

If he's convicted before November and handed a custodial sentence stretching until after January, what are the possibilities?

If he wins when in custody, could either he himself or a federal court require his release after he takes office?

Personally I think he's so batshit that there will be some surprises before the election. E.g. perhaps he will run abroad, to El Salvador or wherever, and claim he hasn't done any such thing, because black is white if he says it is. He wouldn't be able to cope with real prison IMO.
    Presidential qualifications are governed by US Constitution, Article II.

Ballot access is government by state laws, but given recent SCOTUS decision PLUS fact that Trump will be THE nominee of the Republican Party - a "major party" in just about every state, with guaranteed ballot access - reckon that this will NOT keep Trump off the ballot in ANY state of the Union.

As for the rest of your questions/surmises, we MAY just have to see. But do NOT hold your breath waiting for your scenario(s) to transpire.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Donkeys said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Personally I think he's so batshit that there will be some surprises before the election. E.g. perhaps he will run abroad, to El Salvador or wherever, and claim he hasn't done any such thing, because black is white if he says it is. He wouldn't be able to cope with real prison IMO.
    There's only one trial likely to start and finish before the election (Georgia will apparently be a long one). If convicted surely he'd be out on appeal, but if inside people seem confident he'd be let out to take up office.

If he is convicted and does not win I have the nasty thought he will never serve a day in prison - his age and status being used as reasons not to.
  • Options
    "Saigon. Shit"

Martin Sheen. Impossibly young. Exercising in his pants. Wasn't he really drunk in this scene? We are five minutes in and the greatness is seeping out, like sweat. There goes the mirror.
  • Options
    Three to five years after the war ended. Filmed in the Phillipines. Couldn't be more realistic if they filmed it in real time.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,529
    viewcode said:

mwadams said:

Cookie said:

More specifically, Euston Films, which just churned them out.

The Sweeney
    Minder
    Quatermass 79
    The Fear
    Capital City
    Widows

There's a lot of good stuff in there
    I've just looked up Verity Lambert. What a remarkable career she had. Also produced Jonathan Creek.
  • Options
    "Terminate his command". "Terminate, sir?" "Terminate...with extreme prejudice"

Yes, that is Harrison Ford
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,400
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

True story....while most people have fairies living at the bottom of their garden my mother had the equalizer (and michelle dotrice) living there
    The swinging lightbulb was in Callan, a Thames TV series.
  • Options
    rawliberalrawliberal Posts: 21
    pigeon said:

Eabhal said:

A

A

Eabhal said:

Not even Jeremy Corbyn disliked the UK as much as the Tories do.

Hi from London, “crime capital of the world”.
    In Birmingham? Beware “rotting rubbish” and “boarded-up buildings”.
    Manchester is “the worst city in Europe for eco-friendly transport”.
    The ruling party’s new social media campaign is doing wonders for tourism

https://x.com/simoncalder/status/1774318764646941143?s=46&t=rw5lNVUgmRPVyKpxfV_pPQ

You have to admire the cheek of criticising a lack of eco-friendly transport in Manchester while railing against London's cycle lanes.
    The local cycle lanes appear to have been designed by people who once saw a picture of a bicycle. After being dug and rebuilt multiple times., they are slightly less insane.

Just need to take out the electric moped riders who push all the other users out of them.
    Having just got a 'road' bike after decades of riding mountain bikes, I'm surprised how different the experience is. I was a very relaxed cyclist on a mountain bike, as it could go over *most* potholes and imperfections on the road, allowing me to get closer to the kerb. I am trying to go faster on my road bike, and I feel any imperfections of the road's surface on my bum and hands, so I ride wider and faster.

It's a rather different mental state, and a somewhat more 'aggressive' one.
    I commute on a gravel bike which is a good compromise imo. The 40c tyres take most of the hits.

But this is a wider problem with cycling in the UK. Most cyclists dress for battle - helmets, lights, high vis, riding on the drops. The objective is as short a trip as possible, rather than most enjoyable. The cycle lanes are often hand laid and deeply uncomfortable to ride on, and the roads are experiencing an enormous increase in larger vehicle traffic and therefore potholes (fourth power law).

Contrast to Europe. Sedate, no helmets, step-through, 50:50 gender balance, slow paced, no need for a shower. That's what London and the rest of the UK need to achieve.

(FYI cycling close up the kerb is advised against - less reaction time for vehicles pulling out of side roads, less visible to cars from behind, induces close passes, more likely to hit a pedestrian.)
    TBF, I'm i the 'battle' group at the moment because I'm training for my first sprint triathlon. I just want to ensure I won't be last. Oh, and complete the bugger. ;)

I'm discovering the mindset is rather different when trying to go fast instead of pootling around slowly. Although I did around 70km yesterday and really enjoyed it. Generally quiet country roads, though.

As I'm coming from a running background, I actually feel more threatened when running on roads rather than cycling. So far, at least...
    I have given up jogging now, and just walk sometimes on country roads.
    What I don't like is the fact that when there is a pavement to walk on in a village , the speed limit is 30,
    but when the pavement runs out and I have to actually walk in the road with the traffic, the limit goes up to 60!
    Matters would be greatly improved if there were at least an adequacy of footpaths, but of course almost everything in the built environment revolves around the storage of cars and the prioritization of vehicular rights of way (which also explains why initiatives like the Welsh Government's 20mph zones and low traffic neighbourhoods provoke such tantrums from privileged motorists: the time when their convenience wasn't the be all and end all is beyond living memory.)

Hence also the fact that virtually all pavements are crossed by hundreds of driveways, most front gardens have been replaced by parking spaces, and the nation's youth grow morbidly obese in front of screens in large part because terrified parents fear their offspring being reduced to strawberry jam by angry drivers if they dare let them out to play on the streets.
    Last summer, unable to repair a puncture, I had to walk my pushbike along the road from one village in Kent to the next (facing the traffic, of course, but it was heartstopping experience). When I got to the repair shop, the owner said, ‘Ah of course you wouldn’t know the safe walking routes because you’re not from round here.’

• Options
    Real rice paddy. Real Huey's, Real swift boat. Really Lawrence Fishburne. He lied about his age.
  • Options
    "at first I thought they handed me the wrong dossier"...
  • Options
    Coppola cameo. Little Bird for recon. Huey for attack. Hello, Robert Duvall.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,534
    "GOP legislator posted about ‘illegal invaders’ at airport. It was Gonzaga’s basketball team"

Americans take college basketball seriously -- especially during "March Madness". (Which extends into April.)
  • Options
    mwadams said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

That's Callan?
    Confusing your Woodwards.
    Edward Woodward would, too.
  • Options
    He met the surfer
  • Options
    viewcode said:

He met the surfer

I love your real time reports.
    But I'd probably hate to watch it with you.
  • Options
  • Options
    Saigon. Leon is still in fucking Saigon —PB
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880
    edited March 31
    Charlie don't surf...
  • Options
    Apparently, Charlie don't surf...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Recently I keep seeing pictures of thatched churches, but I’ve never seen one in person. Which part of the country are they hiding in?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

I'm damned for putting on my bosses stylish wellies to chase kids across muddy fields then.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

The swinging lightbulb was in Callan, a Thames TV series.
    I've been rewatching Callan recently (and 'Public Eye'). Really two of the best shows of their era.
  • Options
    Bugling the helicopters out. A hangover from cavalry days. The cinematography is gorgeous. That's R Lee Ermey.
  • Options

"GOP legislator posted about ‘illegal invaders’ at airport. It was Gonzaga’s basketball team"

Americans take college basketball seriously -- especially during "March Madness". (Which extends into April.)

If the MAGA-maniac state legislator in question was from Indiana, instead of Michigan, he's have already have resigned.

Indiana being one of THE top basketball fan states in the Union, along with KY & NC.

Perhaps somewhat ironic that the University of Utah womens basketball team was alleged/reportedly targets of anti-Black, neo-Nazi hate crime in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, where they were staying while playing in women's NCAA Div I tournament round, held in nearby Spokane, Washington.

Also home to the team Utah women played, which was . . . wait for it . . . Gonzaga University.

Yes, Americans DO take college basketball seriously.

And MAGA-maniacs & Neo-Nazis take spewing ignorance, lies and hate very seriously also.
  • Options
    Pah-pah-pa-pa-pa-pa-pah-pah.

Fuck this is good...
  • Options
    edited March 31
    viewcode said:

Three to five years after the war ended. Filmed in the Phillipines. Couldn't be more realistic if they filmed it in real time.

Hugely jinxed in filming. Typhoon flattened the village set. Martin Sheen heart attack.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    carnforth said:

Nigelb said:
    Recently I keep seeing pictures of thatched churches, but I’ve never seen one in person. Which part of the country are they hiding in?
    From that flint wall presumably Norfolk.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995

pigeon said:

Eabhal said:

A

A

Eabhal said:

Not even Jeremy Corbyn disliked the UK as much as the Tories do.

Hi from London, “crime capital of the world”.
    In Birmingham? Beware “rotting rubbish” and “boarded-up buildings”.
    Manchester is “the worst city in Europe for eco-friendly transport”.
    The ruling party’s new social media campaign is doing wonders for tourism

https://x.com/simoncalder/status/1774318764646941143?s=46&t=rw5lNVUgmRPVyKpxfV_pPQ

You have to admire the cheek of criticising a lack of eco-friendly transport in Manchester while railing against London's cycle lanes.
    The local cycle lanes appear to have been designed by people who once saw a picture of a bicycle. After being dug and rebuilt multiple times., they are slightly less insane.

Just need to take out the electric moped riders who push all the other users out of them.
    Having just got a 'road' bike after decades of riding mountain bikes, I'm surprised how different the experience is. I was a very relaxed cyclist on a mountain bike, as it could go over *most* potholes and imperfections on the road, allowing me to get closer to the kerb. I am trying to go faster on my road bike, and I feel any imperfections of the road's surface on my bum and hands, so I ride wider and faster.

It's a rather different mental state, and a somewhat more 'aggressive' one.
    I commute on a gravel bike which is a good compromise imo. The 40c tyres take most of the hits.

But this is a wider problem with cycling in the UK. Most cyclists dress for battle - helmets, lights, high vis, riding on the drops. The objective is as short a trip as possible, rather than most enjoyable. The cycle lanes are often hand laid and deeply uncomfortable to ride on, and the roads are experiencing an enormous increase in larger vehicle traffic and therefore potholes (fourth power law).

Contrast to Europe. Sedate, no helmets, step-through, 50:50 gender balance, slow paced, no need for a shower. That's what London and the rest of the UK need to achieve.

(FYI cycling close up the kerb is advised against - less reaction time for vehicles pulling out of side roads, less visible to cars from behind, induces close passes, more likely to hit a pedestrian.)
    TBF, I'm i the 'battle' group at the moment because I'm training for my first sprint triathlon. I just want to ensure I won't be last. Oh, and complete the bugger. ;)

I'm discovering the mindset is rather different when trying to go fast instead of pootling around slowly. Although I did around 70km yesterday and really enjoyed it. Generally quiet country roads, though.

As I'm coming from a running background, I actually feel more threatened when running on roads rather than cycling. So far, at least...
    I have given up jogging now, and just walk sometimes on country roads.
    What I don't like is the fact that when there is a pavement to walk on in a village , the speed limit is 30,
    but when the pavement runs out and I have to actually walk in the road with the traffic, the limit goes up to 60!
    Matters would be greatly improved if there were at least an adequacy of footpaths, but of course almost everything in the built environment revolves around the storage of cars and the prioritization of vehicular rights of way (which also explains why initiatives like the Welsh Government's 20mph zones and low traffic neighbourhoods provoke such tantrums from privileged motorists: the time when their convenience wasn't the be all and end all is beyond living memory.)

Hence also the fact that virtually all pavements are crossed by hundreds of driveways, most front gardens have been replaced by parking spaces, and the nation's youth grow morbidly obese in front of screens in large part because terrified parents fear their offspring being reduced to strawberry jam by angry drivers if they dare let them out to play on the streets.
    Last summer, unable to repair a puncture, I had to walk my pushbike along the road from one village in Kent to the next (facing the traffic, of course, but it was heartstopping experience). When I got to the repair shop, the owner said, ‘Ah of course you wouldn’t know the safe walking routes because you’re not from round here.’

It varies dramatically driver to driver. Some will move entirely onto the other side and slow to 20mph, others will pass at 60 and leave you half an inch. Walking on the road is a big part of growing up in the countryside and many drivers don't understand they need to share the carriageway.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Coppola cameo. Little Bird for recon. Huey for attack. Hello, Robert Duvall.

Heard tell the tiger was a genuine surprise to the cast.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Apparently, Charlie don't surf...

Never get out of the boat.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    viewcode said:

Fuck this is good...

Is that the Pearl & Dean half time jingle ?

(Edit.. oh, ROTV , though the rhythm's a bit off.)
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,029
    Just a wee reminder before I go to bed that the Scottish Hate Crime bill comes into force at midnight. After that time, it will be safer for you all to be nice to me, @Theuniondivvie, @malcolmg, @DavidL, and all other Scots. We, in turn, will have to be nice to everyone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    I like how the twat describes the lamb as a 'captive' lamb, as if Truss is so repugnant that even a lamb would have to be compelled by the threat of imminent mint sauce to be cuddled by her. These ghouls really over-egg things sometimes.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Labeling the movie "The Great Train Robbery" staring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland as a "Western".

Great Western?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Railway_(train_operating_company)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    It's one of her best pictures, IMO. Slightly more natural than Thatcher with the calf.

Bryant being unduly sniffy.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

It's a good job Deuteronomy doesn't have the numbers to condemn these acts otherwise there would be an exodus. We all have the wisdom to be the judges of what's right without any lamentations..
    No doubt the theologians for "Mothers For Liberty" pointed out that Holy Writ does NOT (specifically anyway) ban three-in-bed sex, at least when 2 of 3 are married couple?

Similar to Liberty University chaplain-in-chief advising (perhaps) Jerry Falwell's son & successor as head of LU, that the Bible says little (directly anyway) regarding sharing ones wife with the (or rather a) student body?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Fuck this is good...

Is that the Pearl & Dean half time jingle ?
    Possibly in Scotland...😃
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,075
    Have the DM had enough of Sunak ?

Their front page will worry no 10 .
  • Options

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

MattW said:

@Chris

No doubt the theologians for "Mothers For Liberty" pointed out that Holy Writ does NOT (specifically anyway) ban three-in-bed sex, at least when 2 of 3 are married couple?

Similar to Liberty University chaplain-in-chief advising (perhaps) Jerry Falwell's son & successor as head of LU, that the Bible says little (directly anyway) regarding sharing ones wife with the (or rather a) student body?
    Not a Lot of precedent for that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:
    From that flint wall presumably Norfolk.
    Thanks. Seen a couple of round towers in Cambridgeshire, so I wondered if it were close.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    I like how the twat describes the lamb as a 'captive' lamb, as if Truss is so repugnant that even a lamb would have to be compelled by the threat of imminent mint sauce to be cuddled by her. These ghouls really over-egg things sometimes.
    Unless there's some sinister context I'm missing it's pretty demeaning to over-analyse a picture like that, even if it were done as an early April fools or something.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,428

Just a wee reminder before I go to bed that the Scottish Hate Crime bill comes into force at midnight. After that time, it will be safer for you all to be nice to me, @Theuniondivvie, @malcolmg, @DavidL, and all other Scots. We, in turn, will have to be nice to everyone.

I am always nice to the Scots - I have been married to one for 60 years in six weeks time
  • Options
    Talons/Freedom Fighters for ground attack. Rubbish for anything else. Good for dropping napalm though "I love the smell of napalm in the morning".
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    It's one of her best pictures, IMO. Slightly more natural than Thatcher with the calf.

Bryant being unduly sniffy.
    I think Truss has an appealingly cheeky grin myself. That may lose me some points with some.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Great Western?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Railway_(train_operating_company)
    Nope, South Eastern Rly was the one in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Great_Train_Robbery

But there was an earlier robberyt on the GWR ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_robbery

' The Great Western Mail Robbery (1849)

In two robberies on the Bristol and Exeter Railway two passengers climbed from their carriage to the mail van and back. They were discovered at Bridgwater after the second robbery.[4] One was Henry Poole, a former guard on the Great Western Railway, dismissed for misconduct (possibly on suspicion of another robbery);[5] the other was Edward Nightingale, the son of George Nightingale, accused, but acquitted,[6] of robbing the Dover mail coach in 1826,[7] when two thieves had dressed in identical clothes to gain an alibi for the other.[8] They were transported for 15 years.[9] Henry was sent to Bermuda on the Sir Robert Seppings (ship) in December 1850 whilst Edward was transported to Fremantle on the Sea Park in January 1854.[10][11] '
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    My Easter listening this year :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12RnKyivaVc

Low: I Am The Lamb.
  • Options

Great folks (and folkettes and everything in between) from a great country, I've always said that.
  • Options
    They nick the Colonels board...
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,153
    Baltic states now preparing for invasion:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/03/30/nato-get-ready-for-russia-to-invade-baltic-ambassadors-warn/

Sunak is f*cked at the next election. He should make his legacy saving Ukraine while the Yanks are f*cking about.
This discussion has been closed.