Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The worst appointment since Incitatus – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,913

mwadams said:

‘Worst-ever’ Prince Philip statue must be torn down, orders council
    A £150,000 sculpture purporting to depict late Duke of Edinburgh must be removed as it was erected without planning permission

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/26/prince-philip-statue-cambridge-council-orders-removal/ (£££)

Plot twist: the sculptor named as its creator denied any knowledge of the statue.

And it wasn't the DofE when it started out. Terrible though it is, it isn't the worst recent statuary in Cambridge. There are a load of what I can only describe as "oversized garden centre ornaments" that have appeared over the last few years. A bear. Some lions. They are bloody awful.
    I quite like the giraffes that have sprouted up around town. Including one decorated by my son's school. :)
    Your son's school must be very tinsel-ly :)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,263

Taz said:

I don't know anything about Gullis. Can someone explain why he is so much worse than other Tory MPs?

He's a Tory so that's enough.
    That is patently untrue. One nation Tories are fine.

Gullis is a humourless and apparently intellect-free populist's populist. He is a walking -talking parody of Johnsonian Conservatism.
    "apparently"

People just latch onto hate figures in either party then try to justify their irrational hatred of them. Gullis just seems to trigger people. Don't know why. I know little of him and I doubt he has any name recognition at all.

In the same way lots of racists find other reasons than her colour to dislike Diane Abbott, when it really is her colour. That also applies to many of her detractors in Labour as well. As she points out.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029
    Good morning to one and all!
    All sorts of things concerning us today aren’t there! Do I gather that Leon has either flounced or been banned?
    I am somewhat bothered, though, by the fact that the BBC website has its main feature, the covering over of some graffiti, allegedly, by Banksy.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 133

Taz said:

I don't know anything about Gullis. Can someone explain why he is so much worse than other Tory MPs?

Gullis is a humourless and apparently intellect-free populist's populist. He is a walking -talking parody of Johnsonian Conservatism.
    Sadly he's not worse than a lot of them just more prominent and loud mouthed. A few are intelligent, sensible and reasonable, otherwise they range from the weird and seemingly deranged to the not very bright and over-promoted...see the Cabinet for example.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Nigelb said:

Democrat wins Alabama special election after focusing on IVF, abortion
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4557670-democrat-wins-alabama-special-election-after-focusing-on-ivf-abortion/

The article calls the district "purplish" - which in Alabama terms is true - but she lost by 7% at the last election, and just won by 25%.

There have been quite a few signs that suggest the GOP may end up getting whipped in November. Are the polls therefore totally wrong? Some suggest that the polls are manipulated, though I see no real evidence.
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4727548#Comment_4727548

There are three possibilities in the polls

* Trump supporters distrust pollsters and do not respond. This differential non-response makes the polls inaccurate.
    * Independents who distrust Trump are afraid to reply to polls thru social satisfying. This differential non-response makes the polls inaccurate.
    * People join panels for money. The differential VI between such panellists and ordinary voters makes the sample unrepresentative. This makes the polls inaccurate.

If any of them are true, the polls will be inaccurate.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081
    edited March 27
    ToryJim said:

OT proof that the old adage about fools and their money still holds true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68672177

It seems a ludicrous amount to spend on a piece of simulated driftwood.

$125.000 for Jonny’s axe from the Shining though…
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

It’s Trump isn’t it? People are scared this might somehow “benefit Trump” if it turns out to be sabotage so they are insanely allergic to the notion

Get a grip

Its Trump derangement syndrome. Im convinced the covid lockdowns only went on as long as they did in some areas of the US because people wanted to stick it to Trump.
    I’m still shocked by this amazing statistic

https://unherd.com/newsroom/six-in-10-democrats-believe-covid-19-pandemic-isnt-over/

lol. If this is China and Russia driving America insane they are doing a bang up job
    To be fair they are not wrong.

Covid is now an endemic disease but I wouldn’t expect the average punter to do strong Josh between endemic and pandemic.

But we have tools to manage it, and so we don’t need to reach in the extreme way we did 4 years ago
    The UK figures on whether the Covid pandemic is still ongoing are about 50/50 too when DKs excluded. It is the same across the different political parties.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/03/22/bf4bb/1

I would say endemic rather than pandemic myself, but it certainly hasn't gone away.

Agree with that conclusion which is why it’s a stupid poll
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Taz said:

There are some absolute spanners in the Tory 2019 Toolbox and Gullis is the poster child example of what happens when you unexpectedly win seats.

The challenge for Labour will be that if they get a mega-landslide, what is the chances of having their own mega box of spanners?
    The Labour backbenches are already full of cuckoos. But on the backbenches is normally where they feed, Corbyn and his chums's elevation notwithstanding.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

It’s Trump isn’t it? People are scared this might somehow “benefit Trump” if it turns out to be sabotage so they are insanely allergic to the notion

Get a grip

Its Trump derangement syndrome. Im convinced the covid lockdowns only went on as long as they did in some areas of the US because people wanted to stick it to Trump.

https://unherd.com/newsroom/six-in-10-democrats-believe-covid-19-pandemic-isnt-over/

lol. If this is China and Russia driving America insane they are doing a bang up job

Covid is now an endemic disease but I wouldn’t expect the average punter to do strong Josh between endemic and pandemic.

But we have tools to manage it, and so we don’t need to reach in the extreme way we did 4 years ago
    Also, TBF, the line between epidemic/pandemic and endemic isn't a particularly clear one.

We talk about flu seasonal flu epidemics, even is they're of fairly low severity.
    And novel variants of Covid are still reinfecting people worldwide, so it's really semantics as to whether it's now a low level
    pandemic, or
    epidemic.
    With flu it’s a different virus each year which is why it is an epidemic not an endemic disease
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Also, TBF, the line between epidemic/pandemic and endemic isn't a particularly clear one.

We talk about flu seasonal flu epidemics, even is they're of fairly low severity.
    And novel variants of Covid are still reinfecting people worldwide, so it's really semantics as to whether it's now a low level
    pandemic, or
    epidemic.
    For clarity I am not sure how “differentiate” become “do strong Josh” in my original post…
    Are you typing or dictating? I find my accent causes problems for the dictation Software on my iPad.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    Cicero said:

Nigelb said:

Democrat wins Alabama special election after focusing on IVF, abortion
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4557670-democrat-wins-alabama-special-election-after-focusing-on-ivf-abortion/

The article calls the district "purplish" - which in Alabama terms is true - but she lost by 7% at the last election, and just won by 25%.

There have been quite a few signs that suggest the GOP may end up getting whipped in November. Are the polls therefore totally wrong? Some suggest that the polls are manipulated, though I see no real evidence.
    I've no certainty about any of it.

This was a by-election as a result of the incumbent resigning after being charged with voter fraud, so only a straw in the wind.

And there's an awful lot than could happen between now and November.

But I have money on the Democrats, FWIW.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

People just latch onto hate figures in either party then try to justify their irrational hatred of them. Gullis just seems to trigger people. Don't know why. I know little of him and I doubt he has any name recognition at all.

In the same way lots of racists find other reasons than her colour to dislike Diane Abbott, when it really is her colour. That also applies to many of her detractors in Labour as well. As she points out.
    Your leap from my disdain for Gullis and his rent-a-gob mentality to my latent racism against Abbott is impressive.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.
    For clarity I am not sure how “differentiate” become “do strong Josh” in my original post…

Are you typing or dictating? I find my accent causes problems for the dictation Software on my iPad.
    I have a small phone with a mind of its own
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,429

ToryJim said:

OT proof that the old adage about fools and their money still holds true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68672177

It seems a ludicrous amount to spend on a piece of simulated driftwood.

$125.000 for Jonny’s axe from the Ahining though…
    Yup, don’t get that either. Having been in Jack Nicholson’s sweaty palms doesn’t endow that prop with magic powers. It’s like the practice of relic hunting in the early Middle Ages.
  • Options

I am in a few WhatsApp groups with Mr Gullis, I get to see some of his unredacted thoughts, he's so dense, light bends around him, although he did attend the finest university in Oxford.

He's also a dirty scruff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56180675

In October 2021, Gullis suggested at a fringe meeting during the Conservative Party conference that people using the term "white privilege" should be reported to the Home Office as extremists and that teachers found criticising the Conservative Party should be sacked

and

He seems more obsessed with woke than Leon.
    Almost as obsessed as you with Oxford ? 😊

He gives himself a glowing reference, according to Wikipedia.
    ..Gullis worked in schools from 2012 to 2019, comparing his teaching experiences to boxing.[5] He worked in schools including Blackfen School for Girls (2012–2015), Ashlawn School (2015–2016), Greenwood Academy (2016–2018), and Fairfax Academy (2018–2019).[5] Gullis described his classroom personality as "a mixture of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg", and said that he "liked to play the character of an English gent".[5] Gullis says that he was "nicknamed Grumpy Gullis – because I never smiled".[5] Upon being elected to Parliament Gullis left work at Fairfax Academy, and he described the pupils he was responsible for as head of year as "probably happy to see me go"...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728

All sorts of things concerning us today aren’t there! Do I gather that Leon has either flounced or been banned?
    I am somewhat bothered, though, by the fact that the BBC website has its main feature, the covering over of some graffiti, allegedly, by Banksy.

I get "Public satisfaction with NHS at lowest ever level, survey shows" as the lead item when I go to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68669866

Makes me wonder, are the BBC tailoring their feed to some big data assessment of your concerns? And if so, why are you so concerned about lost Banksies OKC?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.
    With flu it’s a different virus each year which is why it is an epidemic not an endemic disease
    That's why I said 'novel variants'.

I agree with Foxy that it's endemic, FWIW. But it's not obviously absurd for someone to think it's still a low level pandemic.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    sbjme19 said:

Taz said:

Sadly he's not worse than a lot of them just more prominent and loud mouthed. A few are intelligent, sensible and reasonable, otherwise they range from the weird and seemingly deranged to the not very bright and over-promoted...see the Cabinet for example.
    Neil O'Brien is one of my local MPs but seems to think posting this graph will help his electoral chances, despite highlighting two areas of Tory failure:

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1772594103101866256?t=DU0aDXCvVlUJLObJ1Gro_Q&s=19
  • Options
    On the Baltimore bridge disaster, looking at that ship how on earth was anyone on board supposed to see whirler they were going?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    I hate to bring up the cash v card debate again.

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,244

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

After the Tampa Bridge disaster in 1980, they re-built the bridge with so-called "dolphins" next to the bridge columns to stop boats from hitting the columns. It's interesting that they didn't add them to the Baltimore bridge around the same time.

There were dolphins for the bridge. See the round object next to the ship here -

May be wrong but I think those are actually dolphins for power lines next to the bridge, not the bridge itself. (I saw a photo earlier from an angle that seemed to show this pretty clearly, but I can't remember how/where to find the image again to post a link).
    If you look at the links I shared a few posts below, the puny round dolphins predate the pylons by many years. The power pylons have cutwater-like structures around them.

I wonder what the 'overhang' (*) on the container ships are - i.e. the difference between beam at water level and maximum beam.

(*) Don't know correct term
    There’s a whole load of conspiracy theories going around about ships’ systems getting hacked. I think like most others I’ll wait and see what the NTSB* has to say first! Occam’s Razor says some sort of mechanical failure in an environment of strong winds and tides.

*National Transportation Safety Board, the government agency charged with investigating transport accidents in the US https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Transportation_Safety_Board
    The hacking conspiracy theories are almost certainly not true, for the reasons I gave yesterday. People spreading it are idiots, and/or have their own agenda to fill.
    Yes most of them are coming from political people rather than marine people. The same political people who have spent the last week talking about the latest cyber threats from Russia and China - so they see an accident, put two and two together and make five.

It’s not impossible it was a deliberate attack, but it’s very unlikely especially with a local pilot on board.

Terrible bridge design though, let’s hope modern standards are considerably higher.
    When I descend into this cesspool on Twitter, I don't see 'political people' spreading this: it's no-name accounts that are spreading this sh*t. I've no idea if there are even real people behind some of the accounts.
    I’m old enough to remember when you could go on Twitter and glean useful real-time information.
    Viewers of Twitter down 20% since Musk took it over.
  • Options
    edited March 27

I get "Public satisfaction with NHS at lowest ever level, survey shows" as the lead item when I go to the BBC.

Makes me wonder, are the BBC tailoring their feed to some big data assessment of your concerns? And if so, why are you so concerned about lost Banksies OKC?
    Time to privatise the NHS, Andy Burnham was right when he was Health Secretary to privatise the NHS.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/who-privatised-hinchingbrooke-hospital-and-does-it-matter/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

I agree with Foxy that it's endemic, FWIW. But it's not obviously absurd for someone to think it's still a low level pandemic.
    Can we still use the word "pandemic" for a low-level thing? We don't say "there's a pandemic of small sneezes".
  • Options

That's terrible - has it come to this?

You're staying in a Marriott?
    As if, it was sent to me by a friend.
  • Options

On the Baltimore bridge disaster, looking at that ship how on earth was anyone on board supposed to see whirler they were going?

That's pretty standard for container ships. It's why sailors on the Solent need to pay attention.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

Evidently very well, given ships go about like that all the time. ;)

It doesn't appear to be a lack of vision problem, rather one of loss of control.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,510
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

Can we still use the word "pandemic" for a low-level thing? We don't say "there's a pandemic of small sneezes".
    On the original poll - most people don’t know the difference between pandemic and endemic. But they know that people are catching COVID and doctors are telling vulnerable people to stay up to date with their vaccinations. So COVID sounds like it is ongoing.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

If it's a worldwide occurrence of a particular, novel infection, yes.
    My point is that the definition of 'pandemic' is a fairly loose one.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    ToryJim said:

I’m concerned that the authors of that notice think that not accepting cash would cause their customers bowel or bladder problems.
    Surely should be easier to spend a Penny if incontinent?
  • Options

It doesn't appear to be a lack of vision problem, rather one of loss of control.
    I know, I know. To the lay person it just looks ridiculously over loaded. I am sure these things are regulated though.

(As another aside - odd that such surreal accident involves a boat called Dali.)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    Good morning all.

Gateshead 7 Hartlepool 1

Lord Mandelson will be crying into his guacamole.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349

What's wrong with a Marriott? Very comfy beds and a decent breakfast.
  • Options

There are actually grades of Marriott, to be fair.

The one in Miraflores, Lima was held to be one of the best hotels in Peru - If not *the* best - a few years back.

The sushi, hand made on the spot, was spectacular.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

If Gullis had impinged on your consciousness before yesterday I am impressed. I had certainly not heard of him. From what I learned on last night's thread it wasn't much of a loss either.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

I find it surprising when people who are poorly are still doing Covid tests. These days, when I have had a virus I am just fussed about the symptoms and getting better, not which bug has caused it.
  • Options

I know, I know. To the lay person it just looks ridiculously over loaded. I am sure these things are regulated though.

(As another aside - odd that such surreal accident involves a boat called Dali.)
    It’s an effect of scale. The containers in front of the bridge were well below the windows and sloped down to the bow in tiers. In fact, with the forward bridge, the crew had a much better view than many older ships. Which had the bridge right at the stern.

Containers are also quite light, in terms of objects on ships. Same reason that double decker buses are actually quite stable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They vary, a lot. St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is quite nice - part of the Marriott Group.

Do the mainstream Marriotts still offer fantasy reading material in every room?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103

Time to privatise the NHS, Andy Burnham was right when he was Health Secretary to privatise the NHS.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/who-privatised-hinchingbrooke-hospital-and-does-it-matter/
    Or just get rid of the Tories. NHS satisfaction was 70% in 2010.
    And NHS employment was half a million lower.

Still I look forward to all the people claiming 'everything is broken' changing their line after they think a suitable amount of Labour government has passed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

I wouldn’t even expect the average Joe to appreciate the difference between endemic and pandemic to be honest
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

DavidL said:

They vary, a lot. St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is quite nice - part of the Marriott Group.

You mean the Gideon bible?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

I find it surprising when people who are poorly are still doing Covid tests. These days, when I have had a virus I am just fussed about the symptoms and getting better, not which bug has caused it.
    I must say that when several people I know through work have been off ill with Covid recently the thing I was most surprised about was that they knew they had it. I think the last of our tests went out of date some time ago. Unless you work in the NHS I am really not sure where you would get them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

If Gullis had impinged on your consciousness before yesterday I am impressed. I had certainly not heard of him. From what I learned on last night's thread it wasn't much of a loss either.
    You have been fortunate in that Jonathan Gullis' manifold proclamations have passed you by. He has been very active in calling out everything that the current Starmer-Labour Government* stands for. Now he has been given the Lee Anderson role he will doubtless call them out some more.

* I'm not sure he has got the hang of which party is in power.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You mean the Gideon bible?
    I was thinking more of the Book of Mormon.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868
    edited March 27
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

I must say that when several people I know through work have been off ill with Covid recently the thing I was most surprised about was that they knew they had it. I think the last of our tests went out of date some time ago. Unless you work in the NHS I am really not sure where you would get them.
    Chemists.

It's useful to know which bug, [edit] if it seems more than an ordinary cold, because of the specific problems of covid if it turns nasty/longterm. Also if one is visiting an elderly relative and starts sniffling.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

It’s an effect of scale. The containers in front of the bridge were well below the windows and sloped down to the bow in tiers. In fact, with the forward bridge, the crew had a much better view than many older ships. Which had the bridge right at the stern.

Containers are also quite light, in terms of objects on ships. Same reason that double decker buses are actually quite stable.
    As it was leaving can we assume the containers were empty?
  • Options

Same with cruise ships; I make sure never to tell Mrs P how little draft they have. They look ridiculously top heavy but of course, they aren't.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,585

I am sorry to say that where I live this is easily trumped in significance by the 'cash only' sign at the chippie and the Chinese takeaway.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,712
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

The UK figures on whether the Covid pandemic is still ongoing are about 50/50 too when DKs excluded. It is the same across the different political parties.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/03/22/bf4bb/1

I would say endemic rather than pandemic myself, but it certainly hasn't gone away.
    “Pandemic” isn’t an entirely well-defined term. It’s also a very misunderstood term, so people presume it implies severity or novelty (which it doesn’t). For example, HIV/AIDS is still considered a pandemic over 40 years on, even though our relationship with it has hugely changed over that time.

The WHO downgraded COVID-19 from being a “public health emergency of international concern” last May, but still calls it a pandemic. Endemic status is perhaps best defined by stable case numbers and COVID numbers arguably haven’t stabilised in much of the world. It’s still coming in waves.

So, if I met a survey question asking is COVID still a pandemic, I’d want to reply, “It’s complicated. Yes, but that’s not really what you are asking.”
  • Options

DavidL said:

Not sure I was ever aware of that. I have stayed in several but the ones in York and Newcastle were both good. I mean, its not exactly characterful or interesting but they serve a purpose.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018

They don't just navigate ships by Mk.1 Eyeball, the OoW would use the ship's navigation system with ARPA, GPS, etc. Supplemented by cameras and human lookouts.

Whatever happened in this shit show, it wasn't because the bridge (of the ship) couldn't see the bridge (they hit).
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526

Still I look forward to all the people claiming 'everything is broken' changing their line after they think a suitable amount of Labour government has passed.
    Focus on outcomes not inputs is meant to be one of the things Conservatives do well. Hey ho.

(A lot of the issue is that spending has gone on FrONt LinE sTAff, whilst support and equipment have been frozen or cut. Which makes sense to survive an immediate crisis, but does little to get you out of it.)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,299

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

You have been fortunate in that Jonathan Gullis' manifold proclamations have passed you by. He has been very active in calling out everything that the current Starmer-Labour Government* stands for. Now he has been given the Lee Anderson role he will doubtless call them out some more.

Notice how Gullis makes a point of calling the Labour leader "Sir Keir" ;)
  • Options

So your Tory votes have led to half a million more NHS employees and a 2/3 drop in NHS satisfaction. Yet another indictment of Troy mismanagement.
    With the same effect happening in Scotland and Wales.

Perhaps it has rather more to do with the NHS than politicians.

Still I don't doubt you'll be waving the pompoms for Wes Streeting's management, whatever effect it has.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

I suspect it is one of the many advantages of not being on Twitter.
  • Options

Same with cruise ships; I make sure never to tell Mrs P how little draft they have. They look ridiculously top heavy but of course, they aren't.
    MAkes them potentially more vulnerable to crosswinds, though I'm not sure how much of a problem that normally is. Maybe when docking, but some ships have side thrusters or pods which take care of that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,471

Not banned. I wasn't really paying attention but gathered Leon was on his flight home.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

It depends on circumstances, I guess.
    Note Covid is a very infectious virus, and can be disruptive to work environments - and is still dangerous for a subset of the population.

And if you're visiting your grandparents, it's probably still a good idea to find out if you've got Covid, or it's just a cold.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

Pandemic status or epidemic status are technically defined by spread, not severity. A colleague discovered there’d been an epidemic of impetigo in the UK a few years ago. No-one had noticed at the time as it’s not a serious condition, but when she collated the data, it was very clear that something had happened, cases had shot up and then come down again.

So, yes, if there was a new virus that spread all round the world, but just caused small sneezes, that would be a pandemic.
  • Options

There is a serious point lurking here. The truth, of course, is that not everything is broken and people continue to tickle the baby's toes, make Yorkshire pudding for grandchildren, complain about the weather, receive incomprehensible communications from the NHS and HMRC and see their GPs and get referred for cancer treatment.

Overall, our cup is about half empty and we feel it is getting emptier.

If Labour manage competently WRT communication, planning, blame dispersal and generalised spiritual uplift, the cup will magically transform from being half empty to half full, and even possibly with a chance of getting a little fuller.

Starmer's style suggests, sensibly, not a Blairite 'new dawn' nor the arrival of a revolution but a but slower and gradualist approach to this. Good. It's our only chance for now.
  • Options

I thought you Tories were all for value for money and in particular optimum personal productivity. You Tories seem to have dropped the ball and have far more people doing far less. For goodness sake shape up!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

I know little of him, apart from his name.

I doubt a thread of partisan posters with an axe to grind is any more informative than twitter posters who may think he is some sort of genius.

Quite frankly I think the likes of Gullis, Anderson and co are a bit of a distraction from how shit things are in general. People focussing on the micro rather than the macro.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I’m concerned that the authors of that notice think that not accepting cash would cause their customers bowel or bladder problems.
    Double whammy too - since they can't spend a penny.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Larry Fink of Blackrock is warning of an impending retirement crisis as people are retiring and living longer and unable to fund it.

"Fink argued that capital markets – in other words, investments in stock and bonds – could help provide the answer ‘so long as governments and companies help people invest’."

I am sure he knows a company whose products can fill this gap. Although his core point is absolutely right. However Blackrock should focus on returns as opposed to ESG activism.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/blackrock-boss-warns-of-a-global-retirement-crisis-as-people-live-longer-but-cannot-afford-to-pay-for-it/ar-BB1kAeEg?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=38a01b9936f94364ba0b1fdc446b3924&ei=73
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

Perhaps Manflu has now been superseded by ManCovid?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,706
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

Notice how Gullis makes a point of calling the Labour leader "Sir Keir" ;)
    A couple of summers ago I was on a do on the commons terrace and a bloke suddenly came barging through all the people standing there, right arm out to push people aside, no excuse me or sorry as he went, and breathing heavily and audibly. He seemed to be taking a short cut from one event to another. We all looked up in amusement and mild shock and were asking who on earth was that, and someone said "oh that's Jonathan Gullis, one of the new red wall MPs".

That's my one and only personal experience of being in the great man's presence.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Larry Fink of Blackrock is warning of an impending retirement crisis as people are retiring and living longer and unable to fund it.

"Fink argued that capital markets – in other words, investments in stock and bonds – could help provide the answer ‘so long as governments and companies help people invest’."

I am sure he knows a company whose products can fill this gap. Although his core point is absolutely right. However Blackrock should focus on returns as opposed to ESG activism.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/blackrock-boss-warns-of-a-global-retirement-crisis-as-people-live-longer-but-cannot-afford-to-pay-for-it/ar-BB1kAeEg?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=38a01b9936f94364ba0b1fdc446b3924&ei=73

Did Logan's Run not explain how this problem could be solved a long time ago?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

mwadams said:

A £150,000 sculpture purporting to depict late Duke of Edinburgh must be removed as it was erected without planning permission

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/26/prince-philip-statue-cambridge-council-orders-removal/ (£££)

Plot twist: the sculptor named as its creator denied any knowledge of the statue.

And it wasn't the DofE when it started out. Terrible though it is, it isn't the worst recent statuary in Cambridge. There are a load of what I can only describe as "oversized garden centre ornaments" that have appeared over the last few years. A bear. Some lions. They are bloody awful.
    I quite like the giraffes that have sprouted up around town. Including one decorated by my son's school. :)
    The giraffes are great. I always like those community art projects.
  • Options

mwadams said:

On a scale of 0-10, how much do they inspire Fascist feelings when you view them?
    There's a lot about Cambridge that inspires Fascist feelings in me.
  • Options
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

I doubt a thread of partisan posters with an axe to grind is any more informative than twitter posters who may think he is some sort of genius.

Quite frankly I think the likes of Gullis, Anderson and co are a bit of a distraction from how shit things are in general. People focussing on the micro rather than the macro.
    As has been mentioned Gullis' views are pretty mainstream for the incumbent party of Government.

The objection to Gullis in particular is he is both loud and obnoxious. His critique of Starmer-Labour is more on the lines of his visceral hatred of them rather than any objective analysis. The sort of "never kissed a Tory" attitude you would bellyache about were the boot on the other foot.
  • Options
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

"apparently"

I agree and I am always surprised that people pay any attention to the likes of Anderson or, apparently, Gullis. They should be paying more attention to Cabinet Ministers who are not clearing their in-trays and are failing to address the problems right in front of them that impact on peoples' lives. The primary failing of this government is its inaction and noises off should not distract from that.
  • Options
    Can anyone make sense of this?

John Curtice says there is a 99% chance of Labour forming the next administration

https://twitter.com/Richard_Hayton/status/1772681460916359201

While Hills have Rishi as PM after the General Election at 6/1.
  • Options

So your Tory votes have led to half a million more NHS employees and a 2/3 drop in NHS satisfaction. Yet another indictment of Troy mismanagement.

Still I don't doubt you'll be waving the pompoms for Wes Streeting's management, whatever effect it has.
    Well, let's see shall we?

Your consolation if the Tories are trounced is that you can spend the next 5, 10, 15? years lambasting the government. (Though it's not been much of a consolation for me though this past 14 years of utter incompetence and wilful destruction tbh.)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

John Curtice says there is a 99% chance of Labour forming the next administration

Sir John Curtice (pbuh) is never wrong whilst the betting markets are frequently wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    ToryJim said:

Maybe it's Anabob's regular work hotel?

*this is an amiably intended joke*
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

Something something something Jenny Agutter something something?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

On a scale of 0-10, how much do they inspire Fascist feelings when you view them?
    What is it that *first* upset you about The Fenland Poly branch of Patrice Lumumba Uni (Moscow)?
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

What is it that *first* upset you about The Fenland Poly branch of Patrice Lumumba Uni (Moscow)?
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com/opinion/campus-blacklisting-dates-back-blackshirts
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

That's a bookie fishing for the muggiest of mug money.

I wonder what they offer on SKS?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Yesterday special election in Huntsville to ALABAMA House of Representatives. Safe Republican seat.
    "Marilyn Lands, a Democrat who made reproductive rights a central part of her campaign, will win a special election Tuesday for an Alabama state House seat, CNN projects.

Her victory serves as another data point for national Democrats, who hope the backlash over strict state abortion laws following the overturning of Roe v. Wade and concerns about in vitro fertilization treatments will help their party in November, even in traditionally Republican areas.

The Biden campaign heralded Lands’ victory as a “warning sign” for former President Donald Trump and “extreme MAGA Republicans.” Alabama voters “know exactly who’s to blame for restricting their ability to decide how and when to build their families and they’re ready to fight back,” Biden-Harris campaign manager Julie Chavez Rodriguez said in a statement.
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Being expected to appear at lectures and supervisions for the tripos in which I was supposed to be examined when there were guitars to be played and drinks to be drunk and a large number of distractingly attractive people in attendance. Needless to say, I didn't.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

I actually meant the book but yes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

I'm sure there is a business opportunity in offering fading oldies 'two wild weeks and death' to save them from care homes and everyone else from the costs which come from them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

pandemic, or
    epidemic.

It depends on circumstances, I guess.
    Note Covid is a very infectious virus, and can be disruptive to work environments - and is still dangerous for a subset of the population.

And if you're visiting your grandparents, it's probably still a good idea to find out if you've got Covid, or it's just a cold.
    I cancelled my Christmas visit to the parents having tested positive. To knowingly give them Covid felt wrong. I wouldn't do a pure precautionary test though. I'd only test if I felt ill.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Taz said:

I'm sure there is a business opportunity in offering fading oldies 'two wild weeks and death' to save them from care homes and everyone else from the costs which come from them.
    i suspect that we will need a change in the law such as Esther Rantzen is asking for before it can be made a goer.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    a
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Being expected to appear at lectures and supervisions for the tripos in which I was supposed to be examined when there were guitars to be played and drinks to be drunk and a large number of distractingly attractive people in attendance. Needless to say, I didn't.
    If they didn't try to make you feel bad about *something*, then everything else wouldn't be fun? Forbidden fruit and all that.

EDIT: I did Comp Sci at uni. 8 hours of lectures a week. So I picked courses so that my first lecture was never before 10 and the last at about 3pm. The space in-between the two lectures was when I did all the course works, revision (yes, ahead of time). This meant I was free for... socialising from 4pm every day. And daytime drinking was so boring.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

1/7. Value?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

i suspect that we will need a change in the law such as Esther Rantzen is asking for before it can be made a goer.
    Combine it with Big Brother and we get... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yNjdx192Hg
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

1/7. Value?
    IMO, yes. You're almost down to 'actuarial risk' with Starmer now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056

I see Andy Cooke is saying that LibDems in Didcot and Wantage are scrupulous about bar charts. I actually received one of them this week - it's the most distorted bar chart that I've ever seen. It's also effectively about a different constituency, as D&W has lost 15,000 mostly Tory and LibDem rural voters from the old Wantage seat. And it's from 2019.

As in mid-Beds, it's a real problem in partly rural seats that LibDems feel they own the right to oppose the Tories, but the effect is that where there's a major swing to Labour it gets put at risk by LibDem leaflets that falsely purport to show it's not happening. There certainly are seats where the LibDems are the only serious challengers to the Tories - I can think of two in Surrey that I know very well. But they don't do their cause any good by trying the same tactic in seats that are effectively three-way marginals.

I'm chair of D&W Labour, and it's now a Labour target, so I'll be spending all my time here until the election. Perhaps Andy and I can have a PB bet on the outcome.

Yes. And let us not forget Mid Beds @NickPalmer where @Barnesian famously said he’d rather the Tories won than Labour just because Labour deciding to fight the seat!

The rest is of course history.

Good luck in Oxfordshire!
  • Options

Well, let's see shall we?

Your consolation if the Tories are trounced is that you can spend the next 5, 10, 15? years lambasting the government. (Though it's not been much of a consolation for me though this past 14 years of utter incompetence and wilful destruction tbh.)
    I've been pretty happy blaming the governments from 2010 for their idiocies and incompetencies.

And I don't doubt that the next lot will provide opportunity as well.

But mindlessly cheering one lot and blaming another merely because of the colour of the rosette they wear doesn't identify problems or improve matters.

Especially when the issues involved have little to do with whoever the politician nominally in charge is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

mwadams said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

I actually meant the book but yes.
    In the book death day was at 21 as I recall, changed to 30 for the film.

Seems a little over eager, but best be on the safe side.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

If we get Jenny Agutter in compensation, I think it's an approach worth considering.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

1/7. Value?
    IMO, yes. You're almost down to 'actuarial risk' with Starmer now.
    I agree.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    ToryJim said:

Obviously that hotel is frequented by many PBers.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 579
    An even worse appointment than Incitatus is Itamar Ben-Gvir as Israeli National Security Minister. "Third Temple" religious extremists may well be about to attempt to sacrifice an "unblemished red heifer" overlooking the Al-Aqsa mosque. Would you trust this man to stop them?

Appointing a minister who proudly displayed a photo of Baruch Goldstein on his wall for many years, and who has a criminal conviction for supporting the terrorist Kach group, may not have been a great choice.

Say what you like about Lee Anderson, but as far as I am aware he has not hung a poster of Anders Breivik on his wall or have any convictions for supporting terrorist groups such as National Action; nor is he minister for national security who has issued 100000 gun licences since October.
This discussion has been closed.