Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

David Cameron’s maxim about Twitter proved right once again – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    For reference, those other MRPs for Didcot and Wantage:

YouGov MRP: LibDem 32%, Con 31%, Lab 24%, Green 5%
    Stonehaven MRP: LibDem 36.2%, Con 30.4%, Lab 16.9%, Green 6.7%

It’s also notable that not only have Labour not got around to picking a candidate, Didcot and Wantage is on the official list of “non-battleground seats” for Labour, and the Labour volunteering tool sends Didcot and Wantage Labour volunteers out to Reading.

I’m also a little prickly on it because I’ve locally been an advocate of co-operating with Labour where possible, and I’ve got an insistence that any bar chart in any leaflet delivered in my patch must be both accurate and appropriate, so I feel (irrationally) a bit let down. I mean, I know they don’t owe me anything; I just feel a bit of an idiot for that insistence.

I genuinely don’t think that it’s a sense of entitlement for us to properly target Didcot and Wantage, given all of the above.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Meanwhile Georgia have Germany on their mind.

Etc etc.

At least one team will be flying the St George’s cross in red…

I do like the Belgian strip they modelled on Tintin’s outfit though. Trying to think of an English character they could model an England strip on.
    Bungle from Rainbow.
    Might be a bit warm in a furry kit.

Maybe, especially for playing France, a Henry V inspired kit of quartered red and blue shirt with grey shorts and socks.
    The thing that as a kid confused the hell out of me and still does today is that Bungle was naked during the day but when he went to bed he wore pjs.

Yes, that was the weird bit without question.
    Jane married both Rod & Freddie
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,452
    ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

I do like the Belgian strip they modelled on Tintin’s outfit though. Trying to think of an English character they could model an England strip on.
    Bungle from Rainbow.

Maybe, especially for playing France, a Henry V inspired kit of quartered red and blue shirt with grey shorts and socks.
    The thing that as a kid confused the hell out of me and still does today is that Bungle was naked during the day but when he went to bed he wore pjs.

Morecambe and Wise sharing a bed was even weirder
    Was it though? Never felt weird. It was just part of the comedy. No implication of gay lovers.
    I was very very young. But I do remember a slight sense of puzzled unease. However my parents accepted it as normal so I did
    Of all the light entertainment & children's series I remember from the 70s - I think Eric and Ernie sharing a bed is way, way, way down my list on 'sense of puzzled unease'.
    lol. Fair enough

I do remember looking at Jimmy Savile and wondering why “everyone likes him”

He was a bit creepy to me. And also - more importantly - boring
    Savile thing was weird though. When he died he was lauded to high heaven for his charity work and i remember any criticism of him being shut down. I think people filter their memories of him through what they know about him now.
    The John Lydon BBC interview that got him banned in the late 70s tells us they all knew damn well what the old nonce was up to
    I used to know a barmaid at his local up by Fort William. All the staff refused to serve him as he was such an obvious creep. Amazing - in a way - that time and time again the BBC failed to spot him.

And that other guy. Oh, and that other one too. And that really dodgy dude. And...
    The John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) clip is on YouTube and all Lydon actually says is he has heard rumours. Big deal. Even I'd heard rumours. Lydon knew nothing.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,361
    edited March 26

Leon said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

Attack perfectly targeted.

https://x.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093?s=20

I heard from an impeccable source that it was aliens. There is a secret walkway on the seabed that leads to the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and the Grassy Knoll. By blocking the walkway, the aliens hope to stop the Illuminati from meeting and developing Elon Musk's new Infinite Improbability Drive that will be a step-change over the aliens' own technology.

As it was written on an impeccable source (politicalbetting) it must be correct!

Or alternatively: a ship lost control due to power failure and went into a bridge that was insufficiently protected. Accidents happen.

Also, there is some oddness in the descriptions of the civil engineering of the bridge... anchor points, for instance, is a phrase commonly used in suspension or cable-stat bridges, not truss bridges.
    You scoff - perhaps rightly - but it is far from impossible that this is Chinese psy ops

We KNOW that the Chinese are attacking American infrastructure. Including “manufacturing” and “transport”. These are not fever dreams, it is the case

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure

In the last weeks Boeing has been in free fall, as it were, and now a crucial bridge goes down

One is allowed to say Hmmmm
    There are far, far better and easier ways for China to cause chaos than this - which was hardly a slam-dunk it would work. And it minorly impacts global trade - which is something China is rather keen on.

You are a fool.
    Indeed.

In a bunker in China

“We will kick the round eyes in goolies.

By cutting off the flow of containers into America! So our exports to them will collapse.

And just as America is re-shoring massive amounts of manufacturing and considering the vulnerability of global supply lines.

Muha ha ha!”
    Nonetheless we know that the Chinese are already targetting US infrastructure, namely transport, manufacturing, aerospace, high tech, trying to hack into it all. I don’t think they are doing this to make it BETTER, do you?

So what are they attacking? Boeing looks like a pretty good target to me. A company already in trouble, in a manufacturing arena where China s desperate to muscle in, and compete with or even replace the Airbus/Boeing duopoly

Sod the Americans. Official Chinese hackers are attacking British politicians and made off with the electoral register. It seems only yesterday that nice Mr Cameron (see, back on topic) wanted China to build our nuclear power stations.
    And yet PBers refuse to believe the possibility because “conspiracy theories” are the province of the stupid and the unlettered and THEY have an education and they aren’t gullible and they have an iq of between 107-126.3

They are the Midwit Cuckoos, and I hear the hoots
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,972
    ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Was it though? Never felt weird. It was just part of the comedy. No implication of gay lovers.
    I was very very young. But I do remember a slight sense of puzzled unease. However my parents accepted it as normal so I did
    Of all the light entertainment & children's series I remember from the 70s - I think Eric and Ernie sharing a bed is way, way, way down my list on 'sense of puzzled unease'.
    lol. Fair enough

Savile thing was weird though. When he died he was lauded to high heaven for his charity work and i remember any criticism of him being shut down. I think people filter their memories of him through what they know about him now.
    The John Lydon BBC interview that got him banned in the late 70s tells us they all knew damn well what the old nonce was up to
    I used to know a barmaid at his local up by Fort William. All the staff refused to serve him as he was such an obvious creep. Amazing - in a way - that time and time again the BBC failed to spot him.

And that other guy. Oh, and that other one too. And that really dodgy dude. And...
    Yes, amazing how it got missed!
    Bit like Cyril and Co in the HoC
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615

ohnotnow said:

Seems Joe Biden commenting on the Baltimore Bridge tragedy said he has travelled over it many times by car and train

Unfortunately it has never been used as a rail bridge and seems he must have confused it with another bridge

I do empathise with Biden, as both myself (80) and my wife (84) do get confused at times, but to be fair we are not running for POTUS

Why not give it a whirl? Seems like it's open to anyone no matter what obstacles are in their way.
    You do have to have been born in the US.
    So Boris is a goer

ohnotnow said:

Seems Joe Biden commenting on the Baltimore Bridge tragedy said he has travelled over it many times by car and train

Unfortunately it has never been used as a rail bridge and seems he must have confused it with another bridge

I do empathise with Biden, as both myself (80) and my wife (84) do get confused at times, but to be fair we are not running for POTUS

Why not give it a whirl? Seems like it's open to anyone no matter what obstacles are in their way.
    You do have to have been born in the US.
    So Boris is a goer
    To be POTUS, you must be a "natural born citizen" which is NOT same thing as "born in the US".

As for Boris, he renounced his US birthright citizenship. AND has NOT been US resident for past 14 years, another constitutional requirement.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    So Osborne suggests that Sunak do a reshuffle and show us the people who would be the government if they win the election. And Sunak gives us...

Gullis.

Only losing to a Blair-style 179 landslide will be a brilliant result. Does @HYUFD not get this? How do you get the party back when its gone completely mad?
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

The John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) clip is on YouTube and all Lydon actually says is he has heard rumours. Big deal. Even I'd heard rumours. Lydon knew nothing.
    Lydon stated: "I'd like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he's a hypocrite. I bet he's into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours." He added: "I bet none of this will be allowed out."[102] After the interviewer suggested libel might be an issue, Lydon replied, "Nothing I've said is libel."[103]
    Was the exchange.
    There were allegations against him from the 50s onwards
    They all knew. He was banned from Children in Need
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

I heard from an impeccable source that it was aliens. There is a secret walkway on the seabed that leads to the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and the Grassy Knoll. By blocking the walkway, the aliens hope to stop the Illuminati from meeting and developing Elon Musk's new Infinite Improbability Drive that will be a step-change over the aliens' own technology.

As it was written on an impeccable source (politicalbetting) it must be correct!

Or alternatively: a ship lost control due to power failure and went into a bridge that was insufficiently protected. Accidents happen.

Also, there is some oddness in the descriptions of the civil engineering of the bridge... anchor points, for instance, is a phrase commonly used in suspension or cable-stat bridges, not truss bridges.
    You scoff - perhaps rightly - but it is far from impossible that this is Chinese psy ops

We KNOW that the Chinese are attacking American infrastructure. Including “manufacturing” and “transport”. These are not fever dreams, it is the case

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure

In the last weeks Boeing has been in free fall, as it were, and now a crucial bridge goes down

There are far, far better and easier ways for China to cause chaos than this - which was hardly a slam-dunk it would work. And it minorly impacts global trade - which is something China is rather keen on.

You are a fool.
    Indeed.

In a bunker in China

By cutting off the flow of containers into America! So our exports to them will collapse.

And just as America is re-shoring massive amounts of manufacturing and considering the vulnerability of global supply lines.

Muha ha ha!”
    Nonetheless we know that the Chinese are already targetting US infrastructure, namely transport, manufacturing, aerospace, high tech, trying to hack into it all. I don’t think they are doing this to make it BETTER, do you?

So what are they attacking? Boeing looks like a pretty good target to me. A company already in trouble, in a manufacturing arena where China s desperate to muscle in, and compete with or even replace the Airbus/Boeing duopoly

Sod the Americans. Official Chinese hackers are attacking British politicians and made off with the electoral register. It seems only yesterday that nice Mr Cameron (see, back on topic) wanted China to build our nuclear power stations.
    And yet PBers refuse to believe the possibility because “conspiracy theories” are the province of the stupid and the unlettered and THEY have an education and they aren’t gullible and they have an iq of between 107-126.3

Nah, not the stupid, just the congenitally gullible and those with drug induced paranoia.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

I’m watching the Wales match instead, as there is something riding on it. Does anyone know if any English channels are showing it? It’s live on S4C (which I’m watching) but it’s all in Welsh obviously.

Iplayer apparantly
    Where? I looked and couldn’t see it advertised anywhere
    Ah found it under the sport heading but its just a stream of the S4C Welsh LaNguage coverage, sorry
    The subtitles are in English though, but it's a bit delayed obviously as it's been done live!
    Does channel4.com not allow you to select the English version?
    It's not on Channel 4. It's S4C (which you can get on the iplayer too).

The audio is Welsh only.
    I'm watching on channel4.com in English, but then I'm in England.
    Are we talking about the same game? I'm watching the Wales - Poland Euro Qualifier Playoff

*Edit* Ah I see you've clarified that. No worries!
    My mole on the Betfair forum thinks there may be an English commentary lurking behind the red button.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Lydon stated: "I'd like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he's a hypocrite. I bet he's into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours." He added: "I bet none of this will be allowed out."[102] After the interviewer suggested libel might be an issue, Lydon replied, "Nothing I've said is libel."[103]
    Was the exchange.
    You have literally just quoted Lydon saying I know some rumours.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,424

So Osborne suggests that Sunak do a reshuffle and show us the people who would be the government if they win the election. And Sunak gives us...

Gullis.

Only losing to a Blair-style 179 landslide will be a brilliant result. Does @HYUFD not get this? How do you get the party back when its gone completely mad?

Nobody is deciding their vote based on who is 4th Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party. Eventually cold hard reality will intrude on the Tory party’s ideological bender and they’ll metaphorically sober up etc
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,361
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

You are a fool.
    Indeed.

In a bunker in China

Muha ha ha!”

Nah, not the stupid, just the congenitally gullible and those with drug induced paranoia.
    REMEMBER THE NECKLACE

And just apply it to everything else

Ok my plane is taking off for… Cartagena. Christ what a looooooong boring journey
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,522

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Was the exchange.
    The brother of a school friend was in a one-hit band and made a single brief appearance on TOTP in the early 70s. He described Savile as 'the wrong sort' - as succinct a description as you'd ever need.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Trump drifting a bit on Betfair. And Republican as winning party also drifting. But no new negative news as far as I can see.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,314
    edited March 26

ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Was the exchange.
    There's a story doing the rounds that The Smiths' song 'Panic' is about Jimmy Savile (and not Steve Wright playing 'I'm your man' after a news report about Chernobyl as was vaguely claimed). Some of the lyrics do make you wonder:

Hopes may rise on the Grasmere
    But honey pie, you're not safe here
    So you run down to the safety of the town
    But there's panic on the streets of Carlisle
    Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
    I wonder to myself

The danger of Savile and his ubiquity when he toured the nation.

On the Leeds side streets that you slip down
    Provincial towns you jog 'round

Savile came from Leeds and his crimes were well known there. He also ran marathons.

Burn down the disco
    Hang the blessed DJ

Morrissey disgust at Savile's canonization.

Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ

Speaks for itself.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,893
    ToryJim said:

OT but who would have figured that the Global Cement and Concrete Association a) existed and b) ran a photographic competition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68659273

I see your concrete pictures and raise you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33_Thomas_Street
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Was the exchange.
    He also talks about what they all knew about but aren't allowed to talk about.
    In later interviews he clarifies that he was disgusted nothing was done and Savile and others were allowed to continue abusing.
    What he actually knew I don't know, but clearly he feels none of this was remotely hidden.
    Given the number of complaints and reports to police about Savile over 50 years I think it's not unreasonable to believe Lydon on this.

I don't expect he'd caught him in the act, but anything he'd heard wasnt something John Lydon had heard about in isolation.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Jane married both Rod & Freddie
    That was always overstated, in that Rod and Jane divorced a while before Freddy even joined the band, let alone got together with Jane. It reflects pretty well on them that they didn't let it cause a problem. In popular myth, it's depicted as a weird ménage a trios, but I don't think that was the reality.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    Years ago I recall reading that there were four types of mayoral elections in the US:
    1. officially nonpartisan and and actually nonpartisan
    2. offically nonpartisan and and actually partisan
    3. officially partisan and actually partisan
    4. officially partisan and actually nonpartisan

New York City is an example of the fourth. (There are probably others, but none occur to me, at the moment.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Ridiculous to blame Trump for the invasion of Ukraine. That was absolutely down to the weakness of Obama, Cameron, Merkel, etc, in 2014.

However, there is no doubt that the reelection of Trump would be a disaster for anyone concerned about the threat from Russia and China. Trump is essentially transactional and the likes of Putin and Xi can play him like a fiddle.

I could respect vaguely the notion of voting for Trump/supporting him in 2016.

But this bloke wanted to over-turn an election and has said this time he will rule as a dictator. It is not over-stating it to say he may well end the US as a democracy if gets his way.

Calling him anything other than a nutjob who should be in jail, would make me question the sanity of anyone. So as Leon seems to kiss Trump's arse at every turn, I can only assume Leon is either a nutjob himself or doesn't believe in democracy or democratic principles. In either case, we should all be very troubled that there are people in this country who lean such a way.
    We have only had the universal franchise for less than 100 years. And didnt Plato say democracy is not a stable form of govt that ever lasts.
    Probably, but then she was a Trump supporter.
    Plato was a he.
    No, Plato was definitely a she.

I think she was also a cat lover.

But anyway, well down the MAGA rabbit hole before her untimely demise.
    Plato was a greek philosopher.
    She was neither Greek, nor a philosopher.

She was entertaining though, before she disappeared up Trump's fundament.
    Can you summarise her posts for us newbies?
    Like Leon’s, without the travel photos and with added links
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,436
    kjh said:

Labour are leafleting and canvassing in Guildford with dodgy bar charts (that's our job) showing they are the main challengers. Honestly they would rather the Tories hold Guildford by trying to thwart the LDs. Why not concentrate on sensible targets (admittedly not a lot around here).

Because on current polling they think they have a serious chance.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,074
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmmm.

Didn't think I would be supporting Anderson, but this seems fair enough. "In the government" has a fairly clear meaning. A lot of the time he has been critical of his own parties leadership.
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25894/lee_anderson/ashfield/votes

"Lee Anderson is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues follow instructions from their party and vote the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    In Twitter terms I agree it's just a ripple.

The latest episode from the Leeanderthal town of Bedrock.

He's having a Yabbadabbadoo Time.
    More specifically was he ever a minister?

That’s what “in the government” means
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

They really need to start forced sterilization of Trump supporters . Their continued polluting of the US gene pool needs to end .

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    Nice quote . But doesn’t change my opinion . Trump supporters are a cancer . The world wouldn’t miss them .
    It’s probably more productive to try to understand why Trump has an appeal and what is drawing certain people to seek after something that isn’t on offer elsewhere than simply dismissing a sizeable chunk of people out of hand.
    Can tell you haven't been around for a while.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Fortean Times runs a regular feature ‘Haunted Generation’. Basically kids who grew up watching late seventies and very early eighties TV were exposed to a lot of wierd and often scary stuff. Left it’s mark. I think a fair few on PB are of that generation.
    THREADS

I still can’t believe 12 year old school kids were told to sit down and watch the scariest movie ever made

It’s like getting 9 year girl guides to watch one of @JosiasJessop’s favourite Russian torture videos
    At least you're not trying to use 'marathon running' as an insult any more. I suppose that's progress.
This discussion has been closed.