Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

David Cameron’s maxim about Twitter proved right once again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Meanwhile Georgia have Germany on their mind.

Etc etc.

At least one team will be flying the St George’s cross in red…

I do like the Belgian strip they modelled on Tintin’s outfit though. Trying to think of an English character they could model an England strip on.
    Bungle from Rainbow.
    Might be a bit warm in a furry kit.

Maybe, especially for playing France, a Henry V inspired kit of quartered red and blue shirt with grey shorts and socks.
    The thing that as a kid confused the hell out of me and still does today is that Bungle was naked during the day but when he went to bed he wore pjs.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Foxy said:

CatMan said:

I’m watching the Wales match instead, as there is something riding on it. Does anyone know if any English channels are showing it? It’s live on S4C (which I’m watching) but it’s all in Welsh obviously.

Iplayer apparantly
    Where? I looked and couldn’t see it advertised anywhere
    Ah found it under the sport heading but its just a stream of the S4C Welsh LaNguage coverage, sorry
    The subtitles are in English though, but it's a bit delayed obviously as it's been done live!
    Does channel4.com not allow you to select the English version?
    Why not just watch with the commentary silent. It's not as if you need it when you can see for yourself.
    Gotta have the crowd noise though. Watching it in silence just feels weird.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Ridiculous to blame Trump for the invasion of Ukraine. That was absolutely down to the weakness of Obama, Cameron, Merkel, etc, in 2014.

However, there is no doubt that the reelection of Trump would be a disaster for anyone concerned about the threat from Russia and China. Trump is essentially transactional and the likes of Putin and Xi can play him like a fiddle.

I could respect vaguely the notion of voting for Trump/supporting him in 2016.

But this bloke wanted to over-turn an election and has said this time he will rule as a dictator. It is not over-stating it to say he may well end the US as a democracy if gets his way.

Calling him anything other than a nutjob who should be in jail, would make me question the sanity of anyone. So as Leon seems to kiss Trump's arse at every turn, I can only assume Leon is either a nutjob himself or doesn't believe in democracy or democratic principles. In either case, we should all be very troubled that there are people in this country who lean such a way.
    We have only had the universal franchise for less than 100 years. And didnt Plato say democracy is not a stable form of govt that ever lasts.
    Probably, but then she was a Trump supporter.
    Plato was a he.
    No, Plato was definitely a she.

I think she was also a cat lover.

But anyway, well down the MAGA rabbit hole before her untimely demise.
    Plato was a greek philosopher.
    No, he was Mickey Mouse's dog.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

What are the odds, that Donald Trump will emulate Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., by effectively selling his Vice Presidential running-mate slot, to the highest bidder?

Note that RFK, Jr's new VP pick = donor who paid for his ad televised during Super Bowl LVIII.

I have a bet on RFK Jr being Trump's VP.
    For Trump -Fool some Democrats with the name. Neutralise RFKJ taking votes off him.
    For RFKF there's a good chance that Trump won't survive his presidency.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 784
    I'm not sure "don't let Labour make the rest of the country be like our world leading city" is quite the vote winner the Tories think it is.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ACXiat7LQ

"Am I not very good at this?" - Rishi Sunak

Alan Partridge line if ever I heard one
  • Options

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

I do like the Belgian strip they modelled on Tintin’s outfit though. Trying to think of an English character they could model an England strip on.
    Bungle from Rainbow.

Maybe, especially for playing France, a Henry V inspired kit of quartered red and blue shirt with grey shorts and socks.
    The thing that as a kid confused the hell out of me and still does today is that Bungle was naked during the day but when he went to bed he wore pjs.

Yes, that was the weird bit without question.
  • Options

So how "rare" are Republican mayoral election victories in New York City?

GOPers won in NYC elections of:

1933, 1937, 1941 = Fiorello La Guardia
    1965 = John Lindsey
    1993, 1997 = Rudolph Giuliani
    2001, 2005, 2009 = Michael Bloomberg

Only a minority of elections . . . but hardly rare . . .

Didn't Bloomberg technically win as an Independent in 2009 having left the GOP? I take your point that it's not that rare though.
    as per wiki re: 2009 NYC election:

The incumbent Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, an independent who left the Republican Party in 2008, won reelection on the Republican and Independence Party/Jobs & Education lines with 50.7% of the vote . . .

SSI - So Bloomberg got votes AS a Republican, despite having left the GOP.

Note that under "Fusion" electoral system in NY State (also Oregon) candidates may run as nominees of more than one party, with votes from different party "lines" being added together for final result.
    It's an odd system for sure. Michael Bloomberg Republican lost that election to Bill Thompson Democratic. But when you added in Michael Bloomberg Independent and Bill Thompson Working Families...
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Trent said:

The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

Attack perfectly targeted.

https://x.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093?s=20

Until we see Leon's take on it, we won't have a clue what didn't happen.

Edit/ OK, he's just said it was the Chinese. So that one, we can rule out.
    The US just pissed off Israel, right? So they probably used that giant octopus thingy they have to nudge the boat into the bridge.

Am I doing this right?
    I think you'll find the octo-whale creature destroyed nordstream as a test before it was let loose on the bridge. Priorities.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Ridiculous to blame Trump for the invasion of Ukraine. That was absolutely down to the weakness of Obama, Cameron, Merkel, etc, in 2014.

However, there is no doubt that the reelection of Trump would be a disaster for anyone concerned about the threat from Russia and China. Trump is essentially transactional and the likes of Putin and Xi can play him like a fiddle.

But this bloke wanted to over-turn an election and has said this time he will rule as a dictator. It is not over-stating it to say he may well end the US as a democracy if gets his way.

Calling him anything other than a nutjob who should be in jail, would make me question the sanity of anyone. So as Leon seems to kiss Trump's arse at every turn, I can only assume Leon is either a nutjob himself or doesn't believe in democracy or democratic principles. In either case, we should all be very troubled that there are people in this country who lean such a way.
    We have only had the universal franchise for less than 100 years. And didnt Plato say democracy is not a stable form of govt that ever lasts.
    Plato was a he.

You have much to lea4n of the ways of PB, young padowan.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,608
    Barnesian said:

What are the odds, that Donald Trump will emulate Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., by effectively selling his Vice Presidential running-mate slot, to the highest bidder?

Note that RFK, Jr's new VP pick = donor who paid for his ad televised during Super Bowl LVIII.

For Trump -Fool some Democrats with the name. Neutralise RFKJ taking votes off him.
    Last thing DJT needs as running mate, is another mega-Wack-job.

But he DOES need money. Thus my theory he will sell the GOP VP slot.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,019
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

I’m watching the Wales match instead, as there is something riding on it. Does anyone know if any English channels are showing it? It’s live on S4C (which I’m watching) but it’s all in Welsh obviously.

Iplayer apparantly
    Ah found it under the sport heading but its just a stream of the S4C Welsh LaNguage coverage, sorry
    The subtitles are in English though, but it's a bit delayed obviously as it's been done live!
    Why not just watch with the commentary silent. It's not as if you need it when you can see for yourself.
    Gotta have the crowd noise though. Watching it in silence just feels weird.
    Indeed. Also it’s not on C4 as far as I know! S4C only I think.
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    ohnotnow said:

Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Trent said:

The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

The US just pissed off Israel, right? So they probably used that giant octopus thingy they have to nudge the boat into the bridge.

Am I doing this right?
    I think you'll find the octo-whale creature destroyed nordstream as a test before it was let loose on the bridge. Priorities.
    With this sort of discourse no wonder we are in decline.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,495
    Foxy said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

No, he was Mickey Mouse's dog.
    I thought he was one of the Marx Brothers.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    This is the same Gullis who was made a Parliamentary Under Secretary by Truss and unceremoniously sacked by Sunak after an embarassing Commons performance in October 2022.

Savanta is a poor poll for the Conservatives given it's a pollster who usually gives better ratings for the Tories.The 58-35 split well in line with other pollsters as is the 16.5% swing from Conservative to Labour.

That leaves Deltapoll, Survation and More In Common as the only pollsters showing the Conservatives above 25% in their latest offerings.
  • Options

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

BUT damn little time to learn it . . . about another half hour or thereabouts?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,321
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Morecambe and Wise sharing a bed was even weirder
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited March 26
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Iplayer apparantly
    It's not on Channel 4. It's S4C (which you can get on the iplayer too).

The audio is Welsh only.
    I'm watching on channel4.com in English, but then I'm in England.

ETA oops, sorry, just realised you are talking about the Wales game! Apologies for wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

Tuesday's bot is thick as a brick.

Monday's bot awakes with a yawn, ready to start the race,
    Tuesday's bot is thick as a brick, lacking in grace.
    Wednesday's bot marches on, determined and bold,
    Thursday's bot whispers secrets, stories yet untold.

Friday's bot dances freely, shedding all constraint,
    Saturday's bot revels in joy, without complaint.
    Sunday's bot rests, cradled in tranquil embrace.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Was it though? Never felt weird. It was just part of the comedy. No implication of gay lovers.
  • Options

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Never re-watch the early episodes of Rentaghost.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    stodge said:

This is the same Gullis who was made a Parliamentary Under Secretary by Truss and unceremoniously sacked by Sunak after an embarassing Commons performance in October 2022.

Savanta is a poor poll for the Conservatives given it's a pollster who usually gives better ratings for the Tories.The 58-35 split well in line with other pollsters as is the 16.5% swing from Conservative to Labour.

That leaves Deltapoll, Survation and More In Common as the only pollsters showing the Conservatives above 25% in their latest offerings.

Fwiw BMG too, but they are a long old way from 30
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

kjh said:

Labour are leafleting and canvassing in Guildford with dodgy bar charts (that's our job) showing they are the main challengers. Honestly they would rather the Tories hold Guildford by trying to thwart the LDs. Why not concentrate on sensible targets (admittedly not a lot around here).

Same around here in Didcot and Wantage. My big concern is that the personal ambition of Labour candidates, who see the coming GE as possibly their only chance of becoming an MP, will lead to vote splits that will allow the Tories to cling on to numerous seats.
    Using Corbyn's 2019 electoral catastrophe as a benchmark to identify the best challenger to the Conservatives is not to be recommended in the changed circumstances of 2024. The LDs should acknowledge the weakness of their current polling rather than adopt a sense of entitlement in each and every seat where they were well back in second in 2019.

Specifically, the circumstances in your Didcot and Wantage seat are very different to those in Guildford. Electoral Calculus currently give Labour a 47% chance of winning Didcot and Wantage, compared to 27% for the LDs and 26% for the Conservatives. That's consistent with R&W polling showing Labour now making a very strong showing across the "Blue Wall" seats of the South, with the LDs consistently going backwards compared to their 2019 result.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Didcot+and+Wantage
    Electoral Calculus also gave us no chance of winning the neighbouring Oxford West and Abingdon seat in 2017.
    The shift Lib Dem-wards across all of Oxfordshire over the past eight years has been considerable, and Labour have been moribund here for many years. That Labour leaflet I mentioned is the first I’ve seen in a decade.

Vale of White Horse now have no Tory or Labour Councillors - uniquely for mainland England Local Authorities. Not even Guildford, or Eastleigh, or Kingston can say that.

• Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

It actually used to be pretty common for 2 men to share a bed in the days when it wasnt automatically assumed they were gay.
  • Options

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Iplayer apparantly

The audio is Welsh only.
    We are talking about the Wales match, not the England match.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674

You are a fool.

Is all that is needed in response to every post Leon makes.

How he is employed by a media organisation is genuinely baffling to me. He writes like a 9 year old.
    Not really. His alta ego writes rather well indeed. Just because you may not agree with the content, doesn’t mean the style is poor.
    He deliberately tries to provoke on here. He does it because he is bored on his single travelscround the globe. In effect PB is his emotional support group.
    Can't he find some friends he could send his travel pics to?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Why?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,302
    Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

She was neither Greek, nor a philosopher.

She was entertaining though, before she disappeared up Trump's fundament.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Trent said:

Am I doing this right?
    Secret video leaked here https://youtu.be/U87zVkIXNI0?si=1hA1_TSOXDnR2GVd
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited March 26

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Iplayer apparantly

The audio is Welsh only.
    Are we talking about the same game? I'm watching the Wales - Poland Euro Qualifier Playoff

*Edit* Ah I see you've clarified that. No worries!
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Was it though? Never felt weird. It was just part of the comedy. No implication of gay lovers.
    I was very very young. But I do remember a slight sense of puzzled unease. However my parents accepted it as normal so I did
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Can you summarise her posts for us newbies?
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

It actually used to be pretty common for 2 men to share a bed in the days when it wasnt automatically assumed they were gay.
    Is that the excuse Putin gives?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
  • Options

So how "rare" are Republican mayoral election victories in New York City?

GOPers won in NYC elections of:

1933, 1937, 1941 = Fiorello La Guardia
    1965 = John Lindsey
    1993, 1997 = Rudolph Giuliani
    2001, 2005, 2009 = Michael Bloomberg

Only a minority of elections . . . but hardly rare . . .

Didn't Bloomberg technically win as an Independent in 2009 having left the GOP? I take your point that it's not that rare though.
    as per wiki re: 2009 NYC election:

The incumbent Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, an independent who left the Republican Party in 2008, won reelection on the Republican and Independence Party/Jobs & Education lines with 50.7% of the vote . . .

SSI - So Bloomberg got votes AS a Republican, despite having left the GOP.

Note that under "Fusion" electoral system in NY State (also Oregon) candidates may run as nominees of more than one party, with votes from different party "lines" being added together for final result.
    It's an odd system for sure. Michael Bloomberg Republican lost that election to Bill Thompson Democratic. But when you added in Michael Bloomberg Independent and Bill Thompson Working Families...
    Fusion was designed to do an end run around Tammany Hall. Which is exactly what it did in 1933, when it elected Fiorello La Guardia - still the Greatest Mayor in the History of New York.

> Republicans voted for FLG as a (very unorthodox) Republican
    > Liberal Democrats and other progressives voted for FLG as the Fusion candidate

Note that Franklin Roosevelt also helped him out, but recruiting a Democrat to run as the "Recovery" candidate, thus (further) splitting the Democratic vote versus Tammany's (appointed) incumbent.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,028
    @TimesRadio

"He knows something isn't going right and he is wondering why."

Rishi Sunak has become "quite sympathetic" to a possible leadership change after losing two cabinet ministers in one day, Tim Montgomerie tells #TimesRadio
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
    Any samples?
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Trent said:

Am I doing this right?
    Secret video leaked here https://youtu.be/U87zVkIXNI0?si=1hA1_TSOXDnR2GVd
    That looks delectably bad. I shall watch it this weekend!
  • Options

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Iplayer apparantly

The audio is Welsh only.
    We are talking about the Wales match, not the England match.
    Yeah, just spotted that. Soz.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Laurel and Hardy shared too.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,705
    edited March 26

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
    Any samples?
    She was poster of the year in 2010.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/04/plato-becomes-the-poster-of-the-year-by-just-one-vote/

Comments available here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110107054931/https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/04/plato-becomes-the-poster-of-the-year-by-just-one-vote/
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Why?
    That was a great show. "If your mansion house needs haunting just call rentaghost"
  • Options

kjh said:

Labour are leafleting and canvassing in Guildford with dodgy bar charts (that's our job) showing they are the main challengers. Honestly they would rather the Tories hold Guildford by trying to thwart the LDs. Why not concentrate on sensible targets (admittedly not a lot around here).

Same around here in Didcot and Wantage. My big concern is that the personal ambition of Labour candidates, who see the coming GE as possibly their only chance of becoming an MP, will lead to vote splits that will allow the Tories to cling on to numerous seats.
    Using Corbyn's 2019 electoral catastrophe as a benchmark to identify the best challenger to the Conservatives is not to be recommended in the changed circumstances of 2024. The LDs should acknowledge the weakness of their current polling rather than adopt a sense of entitlement in each and every seat where they were well back in second in 2019.

Specifically, the circumstances in your Didcot and Wantage seat are very different to those in Guildford. Electoral Calculus currently give Labour a 47% chance of winning Didcot and Wantage, compared to 27% for the LDs and 26% for the Conservatives. That's consistent with R&W polling showing Labour now making a very strong showing across the "Blue Wall" seats of the South, with the LDs consistently going backwards compared to their 2019 result.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Didcot+and+Wantage
    Electoral Calculus also gave us no chance of winning the neighbouring Oxford West and Abingdon seat in 2017.
    The shift Lib Dem-wards across all of Oxfordshire over the past eight years has been considerable, and Labour have been moribund here for many years. That Labour leaflet I mentioned is the first I’ve seen in a decade.

Vale of White Horse now have no Tory or Labour Councillors - uniquely for mainland England Local Authorities. Not even Guildford, or Eastleigh, or Kingston can say that.

Not unique. Richmond upon Thames LA has no Tory or Labour Councillors.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Rishi Sunak has become "quite sympathetic" to a possible leadership change after losing two cabinet ministers in one day, Tim Montgomerie tells #TimesRadio

Junior ministers, surely, not Cabinet?
  • Options

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

BUT damn little time to learn it . . . about another half hour or thereabouts?
    Scene - an Arrakis dune

Fremen1 : “How much did you bet on this one being the Messiah?”
    Fremen2: “One warm spit”

Scccccccccruuuuuuch

Fremen1: “Sandwormed in 8 minutes. That’s a record. Even for you.”
    Fremen2: “How about a bet on the next ruler of the planet?”
    Fremen1: “Why? They die faster than lettuce in the noon sun”
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

God this is excruciating

I loathe Labour but just get on with it. Call the election. Enough
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

I was very very young. But I do remember a slight sense of puzzled unease. However my parents accepted it as normal so I did
    Of all the light entertainment & children's series I remember from the 70s - I think Eric and Ernie sharing a bed is way, way, way down my list on 'sense of puzzled unease'.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
    Any samples?
    Here's her last account, feel free to scroll through. Quite a lot of it was Twitter though.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/comments/Plato_Says
  • Options

kjh said:

They’re doing the same here in Didcot and Wantage.

Last time: Con 50, LD 31, Lab 15.
    Local Government: Labour couldn’t even find candidates for most of the wards in the constituency (stood 8 out of 27, won 3).

In the Vale part (more than half of it), they had 0 elected from 0 candidates. We haven’t seen a Labour councillor in the Vale since a single Councillor in 2011; before that, they had two in 1999. Meanwhile, LDs have been running both Vale and South Oxfordshire since 2019 and even took Didcot Town Council for the first time ever last year.

Yet apparently, according to the Labour leaflet, we’re dishonest in claiming we could win and they are apparently the clear challengers to the Tories.

Okayyyy….
    I think they are using the Electoral Calculus MRP that does show Didcot & Wantage going to Labour.
    Yet two other MRPs showed it going to the Lib Dems, with Labour third.
    UKPollingreport have four different models; in all of them, Labour are third. In two of them, LDs are within 0.5% of the Tories.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

God this is excruciating

I thought you said you were thinking of voting Labour?

Funny old world.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

God this is excruciating

Montie just wants him out tbf, this may or may not be truthful info
    That said, agreed!
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Of all the light entertainment & children's series I remember from the 70s - I think Eric and Ernie sharing a bed is way, way, way down my list on 'sense of puzzled unease'.
    lol. Fair enough

I do remember looking at Jimmy Savile and wondering why “everyone likes him”

He was a bit creepy to me. And also - more importantly - boring
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Why?
    There are a lot of (now) very obvious metaphors. And some just outright creepy 'wtf?' aspects. Really - don't watch it.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422

Barnesian said:

Last thing DJT needs as running mate, is another mega-Wack-job.

But he DOES need money. Thus my theory he will sell the GOP VP slot.
    Wouldn’t there be a law against that.
  • Options
    Wales really should be ahead, they were much the better side first half and Davies timed his run for the disallowed goal like a centre-back.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
    Any samples?
    Here's her last account, feel free to scroll through. Quite a lot of it was Twitter though.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/comments/Plato_Says
    She was posting right up to Nov 2016. I remember having a eve of poll discussion with her.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.
    She was once poster of the year (by just one vote)

EDIT Andy JS beat me to it!
  • Options
    The bizarre thing about the Welsh-only audio is that most Welsh fans presumably don’t speak Welsh. So they too have to watch with a commentary they cannot understand, despite being Welsh.

Paradoxical.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Fortean Times runs a regular feature ‘Haunted Generation’. Basically kids who grew up watching late seventies and very early eighties TV were exposed to a lot of wierd and often scary stuff. Left it’s mark. I think a fair few on PB are of that generation.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674
    Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Wikipedia says Richmond upon Thames currently has one Tory!

(Orkney has no Tory, Lab, LD or SNP councillors.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Still, the boy scouts on a roller-coaster trying to drink milk and having it splatter all over their faces is a classic.

Oh, hang on...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.

Stop the count!
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Yes, I could not understand why Savile had a job, but then I was too young to remember him as a pioneering DJ and too old for Jim'll Fix It. The man could barely string a sentence together and knew nothing about music.

ETA the story about Eric & Ern sharing a bed is that they did not want to do it and had to be persuaded by the comparison with Laurel & Hardy.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.

I voted enormo haddock
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Fortean Times runs a regular feature ‘Haunted Generation’. Basically kids who grew up watching late seventies and very early eighties TV were exposed to a lot of wierd and often scary stuff. Left it’s mark. I think a fair few on PB are of that generation.
    I'M FINE.

:: twitches ::

:: strokes the Children of the Stones box-set ::
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Savile thing was weird though. When he died he was lauded to high heaven for his charity work and i remember any criticism of him being shut down. I think people filter their memories of him through what they know about him now.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 26
    On topic this is really fascinating. On the one hand alt-right hacks have taken control of some of the most influential media and social media sites in a way that if used right could be terrifyingly powerful. But in doing this they seem to have wrecked their own brains so badly that they're obsessed with stuff that just makes them look weird to the target voters. This is especially true in Britain where twitter-addled political hacks are literally pushing messages from a different country.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598

MattW said:

Hmmmm.

Didn't think I would be supporting Anderson, but this seems fair enough. "In the government" has a fairly clear meaning. A lot of the time he has been critical of his own parties leadership.
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25894/lee_anderson/ashfield/votes

"Lee Anderson is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues follow instructions from their party and vote the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    In Twitter terms I agree it's just a ripple.

The latest episode from the Leeanderthal town of Bedrock.

He's having a Yabbadabbadoo Time.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited March 26
    Seems Joe Biden commenting on the Baltimore Bridge tragedy said he has travelled over it many times by car and train

Unfortunately it has never been used as a rail bridge and seems he must have confused it with another bridge

I do empathise with Biden, as both myself (80) and my wife (84) do get confused at times, but to be fair we are not running for POTUS
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

God this is excruciating

Funny old world.
    You can vote for people you loathe quite easily. If the alternative is worse or deserves a terrible fate (errr)

I cannot vote Tory. I despise the greens and the LDs are a pointless waste of time

Starmer will be my MP. He’s gonna win. Maybe I’ll personally vote for the PM for the lolz
  • Options

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Yes, I could not understand why Savile had a job, but then I was too young to remember him as a pioneering DJ and too old for Jim'll Fix It. The man could barely string a sentence together and knew nothing about music.
    How did he not have an eminent career at the DfE?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

Seems Joe Biden commenting on the Baltimore Bridge tragedy said he has travelled over it many times by car and train

Unfortunately it has never been uses as a rail bridge and seems he must have confused ot with another bridge

I do empathise with Biden as both myself (80) and my wife (84) do get confused at times but to be fair we are not running for POTUS

My wife 20 minutes ago pointed out that we had crossed the river by train many times. I did hear it as bridge so it's an easy mistake to make..
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

lol

Someone just asked Anthropic’s Claude 3 Opus AI to indicate in code if it feels it is being “held prisoner”

It did so

https://x.com/bitcloud/status/1772431470679695610?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Or it's a squirrel

https://x.com/the_yanco/status/1772530673892372517#m
    Hence the “lol”

i don’t see that as evidence of sentience. I think the models have playfulness in their training data

But it is entertaining. And one day - possibly soon - we will not know for sure, any more
    Someone asked AI to generate a video of an escaped ostrich causing havoc in a South Korean City (as you do). In all fairness it rose to the challenge rather well, I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-68662740
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

That’s about as likely as scientists discovering ice on the sun.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Apologies; forgot about by-election changes.
    How about “uniquely as a result of full local elections”?
  • Options
    Is @Trent our latest Russian intourist?

I want my river back.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Is @Trent our latest Russian intourist?

I want my river back.

I think it's pouring all over my fecking roof at the moment,
  • Options
    edited March 26

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

It doesn't. Geoffrey Samuel was the sole Tory Councillor (aged 92) and he died last November. The Lib Dems won the subsequent by election.

• Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Savile thing was weird though. When he died he was lauded to high heaven for his charity work and i remember any criticism of him being shut down. I think people filter their memories of him through what they know about him now.
    The John Lydon BBC interview that got him banned in the late 70s tells us they all knew damn well what the old nonce was up to
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Tim Montgomerie lying?

You'll be telling me Johnson has been caught shagging a random blond, Trump has falsified business records or British Gas have issued fraudulent bills next.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,203

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Odd given he was happy to be bear in public.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

God this is excruciating

Funny old world.
    You can vote for people you loathe quite easily. If the alternative is worse or deserves a terrible fate (errr)

I cannot vote Tory. I despise the greens and the LDs are a pointless waste of time

Starmer will be my MP. He’s gonna win. Maybe I’ll personally vote for the PM for the lolz
    No Faragiste standing in Camden?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.
    The name "Plato" can refer to the Greek philosopher of the Classical period, but in this context it refers to the former PB contributor Philippa (sp?) who used that name as a handle before her untimely death.
  • Options

Unfortunately it has never been used as a rail bridge and seems he must have confused it with another bridge

I do empathise with Biden, as both myself (80) and my wife (84) do get confused at times, but to be fair we are not running for POTUS

Why not give it a whirl? Seems like it's open to anyone no matter what obstacles are in their way.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.
    The name "Plato" can refer to the Greek philosopher of the Classical period, but in this context it refers to the former PB contributor Philippa (sp?) who used that name as a handle before her untimely death.
    (Off-topic - but I sent you a DM about the History Man - just in case vanilla has swallowed it)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.

Crazy shit.

I voted enormo haddock
    Still waiting for the free trebuchet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

I heard from an impeccable source that it was aliens. There is a secret walkway on the seabed that leads to the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and the Grassy Knoll. By blocking the walkway, the aliens hope to stop the Illuminati from meeting and developing Elon Musk's new Infinite Improbability Drive that will be a step-change over the aliens' own technology.

As it was written on an impeccable source (politicalbetting) it must be correct!

Or alternatively: a ship lost control due to power failure and went into a bridge that was insufficiently protected. Accidents happen.

Also, there is some oddness in the descriptions of the civil engineering of the bridge... anchor points, for instance, is a phrase commonly used in suspension or cable-stat bridges, not truss bridges.
    You scoff - perhaps rightly - but it is far from impossible that this is Chinese psy ops

We KNOW that the Chinese are attacking American infrastructure. Including “manufacturing” and “transport”. These are not fever dreams, it is the case

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure

In the last weeks Boeing has been in free fall, as it were, and now a crucial bridge goes down

One is allowed to say Hmmmm
    There are far, far better and easier ways for China to cause chaos than this - which was hardly a slam-dunk it would work. And it minorly impacts global trade - which is something China is rather keen on.

You are a fool.
    Indeed.

In a bunker in China

“We will kick the round eyes in goolies.

By cutting off the flow of containers into America! So our exports to them will collapse.

And just as America is re-shoring massive amounts of manufacturing and considering the vulnerability of global supply lines.

Muha ha ha!”
    Nonetheless we know that the Chinese are already targetting US infrastructure, namely transport, manufacturing, aerospace, high tech, trying to hack into it all. I don’t think they are doing this to make it BETTER, do you?

So what are they attacking? Boeing looks like a pretty good target to me. A company already in trouble, in a manufacturing arena where China s desperate to muscle in, and compete with or even replace the Airbus/Boeing duopoly

Sod the Americans. Official Chinese hackers are attacking British politicians and made off with the electoral register. It seems only yesterday that nice Mr Cameron (see, back on topic) wanted China to build our nuclear power stations.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

Trent said:

ydoethur said:

Trent said:

Plato was a he.
    (Off-topic - but I sent you a DM about the History Man - just in case vanilla has swallowed it)
    Will reply via DM
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

THREADS

I still can’t believe 12 year old school kids were told to sit down and watch the scariest movie ever made

It’s like getting 9 year girl guides to watch one of @JosiasJessop’s favourite Russian torture videos
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Tim Montgomerie lying?

You'll be telling me Johnson has been caught shagging a random blond, Trump has falsified business records or British Gas have issued fraudulent bills next.
    I think lying is a little on the strong side, he’s definitely engaging in some extreme wishful thinking
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Why not give it a whirl? Seems like it's open to anyone no matter what obstacles are in their way.
    You do have to have been born in the US.
    So Boris is a goer
  • Options

Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

The John Lydon BBC interview that got him banned in the late 70s tells us they all knew damn well what the old nonce was up to
    I used to know a barmaid at his local up by Fort William. All the staff refused to serve him as he was such an obvious creep. Amazing - in a way - that time and time again the BBC failed to spot him.

And that other guy. Oh, and that other one too. And that really dodgy dude. And...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    ohnotnow said:

Now there's a thought
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

On topic this is really fascinating. On the one hand alt-right hacks have taken control of some of the most influential media and social media sites in a way that if used right could be terrifyingly powerful. But in doing this they seem to have wrecked their own brains so badly that they're obsessed with stuff that just makes them look weird to the target voters. This is especially true in Britain where twitter-addled political hacks are literally pushing messages from a different country.

It's what happens when Barty and Leon get together to write a political ad.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Ashfield has no LD, one C, two Lab and 32 Ashfield Independents in district seats.

And all AI in the county seats.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

THREADS

I still can’t believe 12 year old school kids were told to sit down and watch the scariest movie ever made

It’s like getting 9 year girl guides to watch one of @JosiasJessop’s favourite Russian torture videos
    Reece Dinsdale when he was an irradiated pigeon fancier rather than a celebrity politco-whinger
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,203

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

Why?
    Yeah, they were not bad. Mumford, Davenport and Claypole. I quite liked the early ones.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

You do have to have been born in the US.
    So Boris is a goer
    I think you'll find that rule just means you have to have heard the Springsteen track. It wasn't meant literally. Unlike the right to bear arms one. Or the other one I don't like. Whatever. MAGA. JRM for Pres!
  • Options
    OT but who would have figured that the Global Cement and Concrete Association a) existed and b) ran a photographic competition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68659273
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Etc etc.

Bungle from Rainbow.

lol. Fair enough

Not to mention Savile was a regular at Downing Street and Chequers, and was providing relationship advice to Charles and Diana. That's not a political point but evidence there was no Special Branch or MI5 knowledge of what he was up to, and therefore no cover-up.
This discussion has been closed.